HELOVIA || The Way to the Sun
[JUDGED] Beat it out of you [Cera] - Printable Version

+- HELOVIA || The Way to the Sun (http://helovia.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (http://helovia.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (http://helovia.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Battle Archives (http://helovia.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=64)
+---- Thread: [JUDGED] Beat it out of you [Cera] (/showthread.php?tid=17854)

Beat it out of you [Cera] - Ampere - 02-08-2015

Will you still love me
When I'm no longer young and beautiful
I know you will

[Tallsun, Dragon's Throat by the beach, magic and companions allowed, 3 posts each.]

"Cera!"

The word cut sharply across the desert sands, the sound soon followed by the dark form of Ampere as she moved with purpose towards the forger. She had meant to find him following the herd meeting, but had been pulled away by duties and then later the festival. It continued to snap at the back of her mind though, this notion that the boy was far too unwell to ignore. The revelations of the murders and the subsequent losses had struck Cera harder than most. It was fine to grieve, but he seemed to be going deeper than that, content to lie down and wallow in despair.

She wouldn't let him.

"Fight me!" she demanded, unwilling to stop moving, even if she pushed up into him, invading his space. She'd push him to the edge if that's what he needed, and she suspected it would be. He'd want to hide, to run, to shrink away from the light she was going to bring into his darkness, a storm of lightning and teeth.

Maybe she wasn't the best therapist, but fighting always helped her, and she didn't think she was alone in that respect. In fact she was pretty certain it was therapeutic, if kept in check. This could get ugly, given his state of mind, but she was sure she had to skills to keep herself, and him safe. Even if she couldn't, it was important he was still able to stand up and fight, and she'd show him that he could. Of everything she'd learned in life, that was the presiding lesson - no matter what, be willing to stand up.

A M P E R E
PRETTY FACE AND ELECTRIC SOUL

ellsouille.deviantart.com with permission

[Cera]

RE: Beat it out of you [Cera] - Cera - 02-10-2015

Nothing seemed to have changed after Cera had inquired whether Gaucho would kill him. His heart was still sore and broken, bleeding down the insides of his chest. Each hoof dragged through the sand, leaving furrows reminiscent to the ones etched into his soul. Why did everyone say that he could move on? That this wasn’t impossible to heal from? They couldn’t possibly understand. They couldn’t even pretend to know what Cera was suffering through. A wound could only be widened so many times before there was no more flesh to work with, after all. He had his scars to bear, both physical and mental. They gazed upon them as if each were a mere mirage, a fixation of the imagination. Nobody ever cared to really consider them, to pair them with his young age and wonder at the trials he had surely gone through to be unfairly awarded those badges of survival. Bandages and gauze could not fix what was left of him, in his opinion. There was no horizon left. He had been shot from the air and was left flightless, helpless, as the world spun and spun and spun around him. All that was left was to wait for the shattering, the blissful end, as he hit the ground.

”Cera!”

It rang at him like a fighter’s bell, tugging on his ears and shrieking inside until the forger winced with the weight of the unspoken command. Just like the gulls on the beach, always a demand. Come. Come. Come. Blunted teeth ground together, eyes a flash of verdant green and frustration. How long did they think they could order him about, draw on his strength and kindness, before he snapped? Before he withered away? Anger, at least, was a better emotion to experience than the agonizing numbness. It was like a spark of hope, desperate though it was. For a moment, he considered disobeying. The caller was clear to him, a voice he’d only really met twice, but distinguished nonetheless. And still, he contemplated turning and going the other way. Two roads diverged before him, both in mind and body. Would he chase that desperate, pitiful spark of something that had flared in the challenge of her voice? Or would he let himself slip back into apathy, into the shell that would keep him safe?

The world out there, the one Ampere proposed to show him, it was so painful. So bitter. Why would he want to throw himself to the wolves again? Why would he want to experience the rending and tearing of their teeth again?

Perhaps he was a masochist, he decided. For his leg struck out across the sand, tentative, in the direction of her battle cry. All his life he had somehow gotten back up, struggled to stand on shattered knees even as broken cries for mercy were uttered on his bloodied lips. He ruminated on the fact that he wouldn’t be much of a fight. Would she be disappointed in him? Cera laughed darkly to himself, dull eyes dropping from the horizon where she stood, a formidable teacher promising relief through the medium of pain. Weren’t they all disappointed in him, anyways? As he moved closer, Ilaria snarled her support, but Cera mentally shook his head. She reluctantly moved from his shoulders, scampering away across the sands to watch the battle from afar. Safe. Protected. Cera couldn’t lose anybody else. He just…couldn’t. Even Ampere couldn’t bring him back from that ledge, if it ever came to fruition.

Moving closer to her, hooves dragging ever on through the sand, he tried to match the shushing tempo of his breaths to the waves on the beach. Tried to take himself far away from his mind, be the machine. Wasn’t that what she wanted? To make him stronger, so that he wasn’t so useless anymore? He stood before her, restless with his desire to move, but still nonetheless. Cera looked upon her with empty eyes, but his stance widened. Wings loosened until they were half-open, a cat’s tail preparing to aid him through the reassurance of escape and balance. He had come to her call. It didn’t mean he had to fight, merely defend. Cera had been a punching bag too many times. Getting out of the mindset would be a challenge, but maybe, somewhere deep inside, a part of him sang out to the blue. Please help me. Save me.

@[Ampere]

{736/800} && {0/3}

First attack goes to Ampere!

I'm a soldier at war with himself
I am Ceraaaa
image credits

RE: Beat it out of you [Cera] - Ampere - 02-15-2015

Will you still love me
I know you will

His hesitation was noticeable, appearing almost to decide to turn away, to keep walking, to ignore her even. The thought riled her, because damnit she actually got his name right and that was saying something. He was her brother, bonded with sand and fire, but tethered together all the same. As any good sister would do, she fully intended to kick his stupid ass.

She stood on the precipice of the unknown, waiting, even as she was in motion, for his response, whatever it would be. She'd pursue him no matter what, but it would be better if he turned on his own accord; all fires were easier to light with a spark, but she could set him burning regardless. When he turned, she smiled, encouraged by his acceptance, even if it was with a defeated resignation. Her pace quickened, now approaching at a steady trot, anxious to close the gap that stretched between them.

She ran at him, fists up, a streak of lightning cutting across the sky of the desert, sand bursting around the storm of her unrelenting body. "FIGHT DAMN YOU!" she roared as she came at him, front on, teeth peeling out from behind her words to snap at his face. She wanted to see him move, wanted to see him show some effort to protect himself, force him to realize that he was more interested in this life than even he knew. Instinct alone might drive his shying away, but it ought to reveal something about his will to survive.

As she lunged for the prince's chin her front hooves lifted partially from the ground, his height looming over her, but that was nothing new. What would be different however was her inability to rely on the advantages of her small stature, the agility and speed that was so often provided felt lost on this golden boy. Perhaps the only benefit she had was her vigor and her experience in the field, but Cera was a fighter, even if he wouldn't admit it. His battles might be more internal, more dour and emotional, but he wore the scars just as she did. More importantly, she knew the sea he drifted in, because she waded into it one too many times herself.

"There is something worth fighting for," she growled out, dropping back to the sand like a snake recoiling. Her ass bunched beneath her, taking her mass, then shoving it outwards. Ampere's head swerved left, opening up the brunt field of her chest to ram into his, or whatever area of him faced her if he had turned away in those moments since she snapped.

Then she grew quiet, calm, still. She stopped pursing, stopped swinging even if her fists were still balled at her sides. Instead Ampere hovered near him, waiting, hoping for a retaliation. She wanted to feel the burn of pain from his retaliation, because without it how else would she know he'd been lit up?

"It's easy to give up, I know," she whispered, not caring if he heard or not. "Life isn't easy on purpose. Easy makes us soft, makes us weak, makes us nothing. Easy is dead."

@[Cera]

A: 1/3
D: 0/1
W: 539

A M P E R E

RE: Beat it out of you [Cera] - Cera - 02-22-2015

Like figurines, they were posed along the beach, differing actions frozen on their limbs. She, a fighter. He, a broken fool. Where she persevered, he limped along, hardly deserving of the praises they sang for his continued efforts to draw one lungful of air after another. Why she found him to be a worthy opponent was beyond his comprehension, much less why she’d waste her time on him in the first place. She considered him her brother, her kin of blood and tears, sand and fire. Where was that kinship when he’d needed it most? Family was not something that could be spoken of and used at someone’s convenience. Family couldn’t simply be revoked. Cera was sick and tired of thousands of nameless faces telling him they loved him, cared for him, only to turn around and drop him when they no longer had the time to pull the ‘concerned, caring citizen’ act. Cera was sick of their hollowness, their fake ways, their lies. Where she ever to speak her thoughts to him, he would raze the delusional world she lived in with fire and fury.

She was not his sister. She was nothing but another person trying to do their good deed for the day.

Cera hated her for it.

As if she could sense his thoughts, she exploded, nearly tangible in her frustration. He stood firm, unyielding. Staring down the force of her irritation, her deluded fantasies of saving him. Her words cracked out, a roar that buffeted his ears and pierced into his skull. Still, he didn’t move. Instinct jumped and pulled at his limbs, aching with the fierce desire to move him away from her coming blow. Logical mind – though he could hardly call it logical by then – denied him that escape. If she wanted to save him, if she wanted to try and be good, then she’d have to first look into the raw, seeping wound of his soul.

Like a viper she lunged across the sands, and Cera barely jerked his head away to the right beneath the image of her gaping maw. Blunt teeth grabbed hold of the tender skin just below his left eye, ripping and tearing until his world was alight in a blaze of red and white. Pain brought clarity, just enough to force his body into swaying to the right away from her and further damage. A jagged wound stretched with the force of her downfall upon him, tear duct to the base of his ear, before she ripped free. He grunted, furious to see that he was still somehow able to feel. It was a grievous injustice to all he had suffered, that his body would still betray him in the end.

Just as quick she leapt away, agile, while he stumbled from the minimal movement he’d enacted at the end of his pain. Left eye squeezed shut, viewing her from an awkward angle as blood pooled against his cheek. Hot, like fire. His eye ached and burned, reluctant to open when he dared to try. Would it blind him? Likely not, but opening his eye would be a difficult procedure for the rest of the fight if he ever needed to rely upon it. Yet it seemed he wasn’t even granted the peace to check over his wounds, categorize them, before she was spitting blasphemy. How dare she criticize him when she couldn’t even live her life without burning up those around her like an out of control forest fire?

“You know NOTHING about me!” he finally screamed into her face, wings clamping to his sides in sleek fury. “Where where you when I needed you?! You cannot claim you care for me when you don’t even know my NAME!” It was a bellow that threatened to split the earth and drop Cera down to the core of it all to burn and die and be sent to peace. “There’s nothing,” he spat, throwing her venom right back. Any other words he deigned to kick into her face withered on his tongue as she lunged.

So close to his shuttered left eye, he lurched to the right to avoid her, but his angle was off. She clipped him hard, sent him reeling, and he thrust his left wing high to try and avoid whatever attack she thought him deserving of next. He floundered in the thick sand of the beach, thin legs struggling against the pull. Teeth snapped wildly towards her left flank, hoping to tear into her and show her that he was a lost cause. Chase her away as he had all the others. Whether it landed or not he kicked his hindquarters, heavy on his hind right, lunging away from her for a short respite. “Dead is better than this.” Why couldn't she see?

---

Notes: This is actually kinda bad???
Tag: Ampere

Word Count: {800/800}
Attack: {1/3}

I am Ceraaaa
image credits

RE: Beat it out of you [Cera] - Ampere - 02-25-2015

Will you still love me
I know you will

He lived.

Even if Cera didn't want to admit it yet, a pulse still sung beneath the tarnished gold of his coat, and its tune marched him into the rhythm of this fight. As living beings there is an unavoidable need to survive - it's the basis of all bodily functions, only broken in times of broken mentality, and then usually, only briefly. Even know as they threw punches at each other, purposefully providing injury, a seemingly hindered tactic for survival, they still danced away from the assaults. She had been afraid for a moment that he might have just stood there, that in trying to pill him up she might have pushed him down, in which case she wouldn't have known what to do next. Relief, and pride, came when he responded as she'd hoped, a light flickering on in the dark.

Still, it hurt when he hit her, his words a strike against her soul. It clutched away from him, shielding itself from the truth. She didn't know him, she didn't know most that she boasted of as family. She wasn't really good at just shooting the shit with someone. She'd die protecting them though, wasn't that enough of a bond tying them together? What had he ever done to learn about her?

Furious she put all of her might into her charge. Hooves struck sand as he swung away from her, her strike granting a brief touch of the boy before he was gone, their intimacy as fleeting as ever. Teeth flashed in the sun, hung in a golden mouth, though his tongue certainly wasn't gilded. A squeal erupted boldly from her chest as he caught the flesh that stretched between her stifle and her abdomen, its loose folds easily rolled between the grip of his mouth and there tugged, nerves pinched into wild hurt. Instinctively she jerked her left leg back, skin and hair torn free and blood cast to a bloody dribble at the very surface. Ever the one to take the last word, that cocked leg was fired out, low and fast to counteract the unplanned retaliation. It was possible she wouldn't be fast enough to catch his already departing frame, but maybe she was just equal enough to him that the kick would graze his left hind somewhere.

She pulled up in the dirt, turning around sharply to face him. His words were spat out with pathetic naivety and in response her ears slid back, trying to pretend he hadn't spoken something so awful. "ENLIGHTEN ME!" she cast out at him, hard and unrelenting. "Your name does not define you, golden prince! What do I need of it, when you say who you are with everything you do?" She leveled him with the blue force of her stare, dark hair twisting like vipers around her nape as the sea breeze billowed up. "TELL ME WHO YOU ARE. SHOW ME YOUR LIFE!" She grinned as she surged forward again, sparks trailing in her wake as her hooves kicked up the withered foliage of their land. An eagle flew beside her on wings of lightning blue, its shape disturbed by the erratic arcs of electricity. It rose above her, sailing towards Cera, intent to come down upon and behind him right as Ampere thundered towards him.

Again her teeth were hurtled towards the armor he built around himself, clicking towards his stupid sad head to put a chink in it, while her thunderbird tried to cage him in from behind, talons extending to snarl against the top slope of his haunches, by his tail dock. She head to reach to make it up there, forehooves again lifting from the desert's surface, but however far or close his ear she could not contain the outcry of her voice. "WHY IS LIVING SO HORRIBLE FOR YOU!?" She demanded, gritting through the spray of sand that burst around her explosive movements.

A: 2/3
W: 665/800

A M P E R E

RE: Beat it out of you [Cera] - Cera - 03-04-2015

He couldn’t understand. Against all his desires, his body sang like an old, dusty instrument. It called him to battle like the drums of war that had so often pulled on him as a child. Memories of his father’s form, swallowed up by the distant sands, his fate unknown until the blood had already been shed, pulled at him. Cera had always wanted to be like Midas. His heart screamed in unyielding agony, taking up harmony with the slow burning pain of Hototo’s death. What had he done so wrong? Why did Midas hate him, when it was Midas who had abandoned his son, who wasn’t even two years old, for the sake of a God? It made him want to throw himself at Ampere, with that same dark face and battle-blazed eyes. He wanted to curse her for the soul of his father he could see in her stout form, and instead of Ampere he saw Life in her. It taunted him, daring him to fight back. And instead of passive apathy, instead of wanting to cross to the other side and be free of the world that hated him, Cera felt first anger, and then something…new. Beneath the new roaring flame of his fury, there came a hard, resounding echo. Much like the metal he bent to his whims and wiles. Something like steel, like perseverance.

Sand stung his chest, but all Cera could feel was the exhilaration of the new discovery.

His left shoulder was already sore and smarting from clashing with the compact mare, his frame meant for speed rather than such harsh collisions. Her flesh tasted like sweat, and victory over that cackling visage of Life that he saw in her wild face, and he grinned, manic and bloody. He could prove he wasn’t weak, that Midas was wrong about him being weak, a failed prodigy. He would prove them all wrong.

Already shy about their closeness in regards to his shoulder, the movement that he barely caught due to his closed left eye startled him away. Cera jerked just out of range of her flying kick, using his height and agility to his advantage. He couldn’t afford her hitting one of his joints, especially his left hock with their height difference. They were both born for speed, Cera couldn’t allow her any more advantage than her experience and title already brought her. Tapered ears pinned down as she stirred the air near his shoulder with how close it had been - a kiss of possibility. Though it had been fear for his shoulder that had prompted the initial jerk away, Cera was thankful that it spared his hind legs the same fate. It would have forced him to depend almost entirely on his right side.

They seemed to turn to face each other, in the end. There was nothing he felt he could say to her sharp words and poisonous tone; he didn’t know what she was asking or how he could possibly answer it. Instead, he answered with bared teeth and pinned ears. “I don’t know how!” was what he managed to scream back at her, frustrated beyond belief even as his blood sang with salvation. He’d finally found that light, that brink, but he was teetering. And instead of waiting for Ampere to rush him, for her to bring the fight to him, Cera seized that beautiful new feeling of survival and determination and he took the choice into his own hands.

Ampere seemed to have the same idea, the two of them arcing towards each other like winged snakes with fangs poised and dripping poison. For a moment the young forger was taken back to see the sparks that shifted and held form at her side, shying to the right on his uninjured side as it swooped down towards him from behind. He couldn’t see it, and his heart thundered with fear, with life. Cera swung his head far to the right where his good eye could see the bird, instinctive. Swinging back was too late; his limbs hadn’t even bothered to stop moving as they’d raced towards Ampere across the deep granules of their battleground. Of Cera’s renewal. Before he could swing back to meet her, teeth were pinching on the left side of his neck, right into the meat of it. Simultaneously the eagle landed, straight on the expanse of his haunches, where it sizzled and died in a painful burn. Cera howled, throwing his neck hard towards Ampere’s face, not wanting to tear her teeth free. His own snapped down from taller frame towards the left side of her spine, just behind her left shoulder in retaliation. Fine, if he couldn’t use his speed, then he’d have to suffer through losing this fight in her arena – close combat.

---
Notes: None
Tag: Ampere

Word Count: 800/800
Attack: 2/3

I am Ceraaaa
image credits

RE: Beat it out of you [Cera] - Ampere - 03-26-2015

Will you still love me
I know you will

I can show you how.

Cera's renewal was almost complete, his revival like the delicate birth of a flame. It requires a spark, food, and gentle winds. Too much fuel would smother it, too much breath, exhaust it - at least until it grew, and then it would blossom into a might few could stop. That's what she wanted for Cera, what she wanted of him. She knew it existed inside of him, he was of the Throat after all, she just had to dig it out the way he did with his metal ores.

He charged towards her as she rushed across the desert, surprising her with his willingness. Cera could have stood there, teetering on the brink of salvation, or he could have turned tail and run, slipping back into the darkness. Instead he reached out to her outstretched hand, fingers like teeth curling over flesh, holding on and pulling himself up and into the light, into the fire. Ampere squealed.

The sound was cut short by the force of their impact as they collided on the sands, the vibrations rattling her lungs into emptiness. Nostrils flared in a desperate attempt to bring in air; Cera's scent mingled with it, sour with his sadness, but also fortified with the dust of their land and the powder cast off by the metals he worked. The smell was real, it was strong.

Ampere pulled away from his hard embrace after delivering her kiss. The retreat caused the black hide on the left area of her withers to tear. A bruise wasn't as evident as the mark he'd left by her stifle, the area too bony, but it was tender, raw, and red where blood welled up fresh and bright. Her teeth clenched against the pain.

She drifted to her right as she sunk back to all fours, her neck curled defensively. Her wither region thumped with the ache his teeth left each time her pulse sang. Exertion was evident in the heaving of her flanks, her breath still recovering, but endurance her one saving grace. Whether it was a physical trait, or mental, Ampere had the ability to push herself to her limit and beyond, and that's exactly what she'd do. If she let this end now, Cera could still spin himself back into the bog of his despairs. If she let herself quit just because it got hard, or because it hurt a little bit more than she wanted, then she might as well lie down and die.

"Grab hold of that," she advised to him breathlessly. She hadn't paused since she left his grip and was already bunching her muscles, grunting as she pivoted on her forehand. Sand danced at the will of her hooves, head slung low to counterbalance the rising tide of darkness that her haunches brought. Reaching out with a strong buck she aimed both barrels for Cera's chest, or whatever he might still have near her. They were both fast and agile, so he might have already danced away in the time it took her to land and start the pivot. She suspected he wasn't going to be running away this time though, not with that fire started up.

Unintentionally sand flew out with her heels, useful only if it caught him in his face, like salt on a wound. Similarly, Ampere's tail whipped about like a beheaded viper, though it was more an expression of the heat that drove them than an assault, but perhaps he was still close enough to feel its sting. Her withers ached as her body moved beneath the taut coat that had been torn, but it was not enough to deter her. The bruising that connected her stifle and her abdomen on that left side flared up as she demanded her heels to kick out, and perhaps it shortened her left's reach slightly.

"You have to fight, that's all life is," she mumbled into the sand as her nose drifted over it, talking to Cera as much as herself. Sparring with such an emotional investment reminded her of her latest tiff with Gaucho; of all the weaknesses and flaws he had exposed within her, of the way she had stood motionless in the face of her morals. Ampere closed her eyes briefly, reliving his rough voice as it berated her in the desperation of a savaged heart. She had stopped fighting for a while, she had sunken into the depths of fear and pity, and in that way, she had ceased to be.

"Never again," she whispered, eyes snapping back into blue sight as her body landed. Her head lifted as her rear dropped, neck bowing to the right as she twisted in the loose sand to face Cera.

A: 3/3
W: 800/800

@[Cera] SO SORRY FOR MY DELAY

A M P E R E

RE: Beat it out of you [Cera] - Sevin - 04-16-2015

Default to Ampere, +0.5VP

RE: Beat it out of you [Cera] - Blu - 04-16-2015

Partial judging pls <3

RE: Beat it out of you [Cera] - Official - 04-28-2015

By my verdict: AMPERE is the winner!

AMPERE
Realism [+3.5]
:: Cera bucked at Ampere, but I didn’t see any mention of it in your 2/3 post.
:: I would have liked more mention of the sand and how it was affecting Ampere’s movements (or why it wasn’t), although I liked that you worked it into your final post as part of your attack.
:: You did a good job of remembering the height difference between Ampere and Cera and working that into your posts!

Emotion [+2]
:: Great job setting up the emotion in your first post. I know exactly why Ampere is fighting, and I could really connect with her emotion.
:: I loved how focused Ampere was on Cera throughout the whole fight. It was really nice to see the caring side of her being put to good use, instead of being put to chaos and destruction.

Prose [+3]
:: Even know as they threw punches at each other, Now
:: She head to reach to make it up there, Had
:: Cera's renewal was almost complete, his revival like the delicate birth of a flame. It requires a spark, food, and gentle winds. Required, I presume. Tense switching!

Readability [+2.5]
:: I had to go back to try and find the dropped attack. Otherwise no comments or concerns.

Finally tally: 52+(11*2)= 74HP

CERA
Realism [+0.5]
:: The way I read it, Ampere’s two attacks in her post 1/3 were supposed to be really close together. You gave them quite a bit more space than I thought was really warranted.
:: the movement that he barely caught due to his closed left eye startled him away. I can see why you wanted to avoid some damage at this point, but I wish you would have had Cera open his eye. His left eye is closed and Ampere is on his left. I’m not sure he would have seen it well enough to avoid it from his right eye.
:: Also I’m a little confused. Cera says he is worried about Ampere hitting his left hock, but then says his shoulder feels the air rushing from around her kick. Why was he worried about his hock if the kick was near his shoulder?
:: Simultaneously the eagle landed, straight on the expanse of his haunches, where it sizzled and died in a painful burn. Don’t kill the eagle for Ampere.
:: In theory I think you took enough damage from Ampere’s attacks in your post 2/3, but I would have liked to see it described more.
:: The breed differences you gave me sometimes felt cursory, and I didn’t really get much mention of the terrain.

Emotion [+2.5]
:: I absolutely love how bitter Cera is, and how effectively you communicate that.
:: Great consistency with Cera’s emotion. It’s really beautiful how thorough you are at describing the depth of his pain.

Prose [+3.5]
:: Where she ever to speak her thoughts to him, he would raze the delusional world she lived in with fire and fury. Were
:: “Where where you when I needed you?! Where were

Readability [+2.5]
:: Because of the way you changed Ampere’s attack spacing, I had to go back and reread. Otherwise, no comments or concerns.

Finally tally: 35.5+(9*2)= 53.5HP