HELOVIA || The Way to the Sun
[O] we are all liars here - Printable Version

+- HELOVIA || The Way to the Sun (http://helovia.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (http://helovia.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (http://helovia.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: [O] we are all liars here (/showthread.php?tid=19718)

we are all liars here - Naerys - 06-06-2015

and i will stay up through the night
let's be clear, won't close my eyes
and i know that i can survive
i'll walk through fire to save my life

Frostfall. A time when even the Edge can grow cold enough to chase Naerys to warmer pastures. Sure, her winter coat had come in. Sure, it helped keep her warmer. No, it still wasn't enough. With this being her first Frostfall, Naerys was quickly discovering that she is, without a doubt, a Pegasus suited to warmer temperatures. More of a fair weather filly, if you will. Needless to say, she decided to simply roll with the desire to find someplace warmer and headed south - exiting the World's Edge for the first time on her own. Reaching the broken remnants of the glass wall, she pauses, teal eyes focusing a little too closely on the fragments. The mere thought of stepping over it sent her heart racing, throbbing and achy in her chest. The Edge is all she's really known and the symbolic weight of that single movement is almost too much to bear.

Almost.

Without further hesitation, she steps over and begins her journey south.

Naerys didn't really have a single destination in mind. The purpose is to head towards the (slightly) warmer weather further south of the Edge. Perhaps it was foolish to simply wander but her keen eyes take in the snow-covered details along the way - expanding on her mental map of Helovia. Naerys, unlike her mother, is unlikely to get lost. Like her mother, the odds of her running head first into trouble are fairly high - a fact that her father will be just thrilled to discover but that's his fault for making it his job to rescue mother and anyone like her. Father, the ever-faithful knight-in-shining-armor. By the gods, sometimes she wonders how she isn't an orphan yet.

After a short time had passed, the filly slipped through the tightly packed trees surrounding the pond of the Secret Grove. So far, there is little relief from the cool bite of Frostfall. The snow remains thick and heavy, causing many of the boughs to sag. The pond itself has frozen over. Naerys finds no desire to test how thick (or thin) the ice is, so instead she walks along its' shore. It isn't long before the brown and white filly is on the southern side of the pond and continuing on her way. Nothing caught her attention. Weaving through the trees, brown and cream wings tucked firmly against her sides in an effort to warm up a bit.

The further south she travels, the more she notices the slight changes. The depth of the snow reduces, though it's a subtle reduction - one that only a few would be likely to notice any difference at all. The Frostfall chill in the air remains largely the same. Ruffling her feathers in disappointment, the filly exhales sharply - expelling a steamy puff of breath from her nostrils - continuing movement until an odd structure interrupts her view. Ahead the rotunda stands, nestled into the trees with its' white-stoned columns blending discretely with the pristine snow. With snow on the roof of the structure, the rainbow colors of the glass mosaic are hidden - masking the rotunda further.

Curiosity gains the upper hand, however, and Naerys finds herself moving towards the structure without ever making the decision to do so. Approaching the long and flowing drapes softening the entrance, the filly hesitates for only a moment, sniffing and nosing the drapes almost expecting something odd to happen or someone to jump out at her. When neither happened, the brown and white girl slipped through. Inside, the stone floor is hard - a stark contrast to the cold but fluffy snow outside.

That's when she sees it.

An egg.

How odd and seemingly out of place. The cream and brown speckled egg is of a smaller size though larger than a Robin's egg. It is a plain egg, though seemingly untouched. At first glance it seemed perfect and her thoughts momentarily stray to where its' mother might have run off to. It did not sit in a nest, though. Leaving Naerys to believe that it had, in fact, been abandoned. Taking a few steps closer, she lowers her nose towards it, allowing herself a closer inspection.

It's cracked. As a winter breeze ruffles the drapery of the odd structure, her heart sinks. Whatever it was, it couldn't possibly have survived in this cold. Not all alone and not without the warmth and buffer of a nest. It is quick to prove her wrong. The egg quivers, and the crack spreads and branches out but all Naerys can manage to do is stare helplessly at the little egg.

@[Alysanne], @[Knox] - Decided to have her find her companion egg and have it hatch in the same thread so Naerys will need Aly's help in figuring out how to care for the baby. If anyone else wants to join, pm me. I'll probably say yes but I don't want too many people in this thread. xD

you did not break me
i'm still fighting for peace
Image Credits

RE: we are all liars here - Knox - 06-12-2015

The hunter is a picture of shame. He trails his body weakly across a massive expanse of land he just recently ran through with reckless abandon. He had left the wings of his murder behind, hidden in the depths of the deep forest along with his father's bones: the site of his permanent shame. The hollow of the wood where they lay is one lost to so many but him, now.

Time, the hunter thinks, has all but washed it away.

Manhattan trails behind him, far enough back to remain unseen but still undeniably there. Knox can feel her presence and the unbidden trail of her emotions stringing alongside his own. This close to each other, after so long bonded, can keep nothing secret. It is only her thoughts that he does not hear. Perhaps, she has nothing to say.

But the retriever has a lot on her mind. As she follows her master's cloaked shadow, seeing nothing but smelling his scent, the scent of blood, and the form of another ancestor (is it Huric, now? Odd how he retreats into the boldest martyr) she thinks of how he has failed her. They have come home, and everything has happened as she foresaw it. The darkness that lingers here, in this twisted land of betrayal, hate, and gods, has turned the heart of her master.

To herself, she thinks and knows: Aylin would be ashamed.

And it is true. Knox, even not hearing her thought, knows this. He cannot get the thought off of his mind. For Aylin he had changed so much, and now he is alone for the turning of only one season and already he has returned to old ways. How can he stand by his principles and the strength of his ancestors, now, when he is so sickening even to himself?

He parts the tall, dead and wilting grasses of Frostfall with a sigh of his ancestor's hooves. The pink rose of a stallion approaches a new place, but his mind is barely his own. Knox is present, and his heart is aching.

The place that appears before him is one he has never before seen. And when he stops before it, Manhattan does not cease. She walks forward and further until at last, again, after days of travelling and five different forms, she is beside him again.

This world changes, she offers sagely. He eyes are narrowed in fixed disappointment, and trained forward, refusing to meet her master's searching, pink-eyes gaze. Manhattan extends herself, taking on the pointer's stance and dropping her jaw to take note of the scents around her.

In the structure ahead lies an egg, and before it a filly appears. The dog hears the crack in the sharp echo of her trained ears: the bonded pair know what is to come for this paint filly before them.

This filly bonds soon, Manhattan tells him, though he watches as well and knows for himself. She makes a vow.

There is a moment of cold silence and dampened faith. Knox swallows and stands fixed, afraid to move closer and disrupt the perfect moment about to take place before them.

What about yours?

And the question hurts the stallion, hurts him more than any question ever has, and with pain he falls to the earth. What can he say to his sister, the only one who has been with him for so long, the one who saved him in the forest, the one who is his companion island?

On the ground, hidden in shadow, the hunter weeps endlessly from the eyes of the hollow and dead. At his side, Manhattan looks on.

[[@[Naerys], @[Alysanne]--so sorry for the wait, Rottie!]]
Image Credits

RE: we are all liars here - Alysanne - 06-14-2015

A
L
Y
S
A
N
N
E
Well, of course Alysanne followed her daughter. Naerys was prone to wandering, she had found that out quickly enough. It was a trait that she had unfortunately passed down and was now realizing how terrible it was to be the family member that stayed stationary while the one you left wandered elsewhere - even if it was for a short amount of time, it felt longer when her daughter was so young. And with Miykael choosing to live in the Falls, a betrayal that Alysanne refused to think about, Naerys only had to get out of sight of one parent to disappear completely. Luckily, their daughter came with a built-in tracking device. Even in Frostfall, the flowers that bloomed after the filly flared for a moment before succumbing to the cold weather and snow. It was a sad, if beautiful, trail of dead flowers that alerted her to her daughter’s wandering. Hemlock, agitated every time he did not have the girl in his sights, had already taken off after her. The little owl glided along, following her. Normally she was good, she stayed within the Edge unless Alysanne was with her, but today she seemed more ambitious.

There might have been a chance that Alysanne would have let her wander, but only if she stayed close. Leaving the Edge was too much.

She quickly picked up the trail, thankfully the snow and the flowers did not make it too difficult. She kept her wings tight to her sides as a way to keep out as much of the wind as possible as she moved along at a slow trot - as fast as she dared in the deep snow. Unlike her daughter, Alysanne loved this season - as did her companion. Hunting mice was more interesting when you had to seek them under the snow. It was good to get out of the Edge, even if it was just to track down a wayward foal.

The painted pegasus recognized the area before she saw the great structure - she had been here before. This was where she had met Parelia for the first time, when her companion had hatched under this very structure. A smile appeared as she thought of that day, wading through the snow toward the steps that would bring her through the curtains and, perhaps, to where Naerys was.

And sure enough, there was the beautiful, troublesome, little girl. “Naerys!” She called out, not chidingly but a warm greeting. She had never been good at discipline and, even if she had wished to be, she became too distracted once she was fully inside the rotunda. Green eyes noticed that her daughter was looking at a little egg and Hemlock recognized it even before she did. He hooted with delight and swooped down to perch on Naerys’ head and get a better look at the hatching egg. ‘Baby!’ He called out to Alysanne through their bond and she hurried over to stand beside her daughter. “You’ve found a companion egg! Oh darling, that’s wonderful.” How exciting! She wondered what it would be, but they would find out soon enough. “Let’s give it space to hatch and then we can help keep it warm.” Alysanne reached back and, just as she had with Hemlock, she pulled out several of her feathers and reached to place them loosely around the egg, making sure there was enough space for the egg to move and hatch.

table by sevin | image by abba | Image Credit

@[Naerys]

RE: we are all liars here - Blu - 08-15-2015

unarchived per request

RE: we are all liars here - Naerys - 08-16-2015

and i will stay up through the night
let's be clear, won't close my eyes
and i know that i can survive
i'll walk through fire to save my life

Naerys had been caught in a silent reverie, gazing down upon the quivering egg, when her mother and Hemlock arrived. As usual, her mother's voice was warm. She rarely, if ever, yelled at Naerys - even though the painted girl knew, without doubt, that her tendency to wander added so much stress to her mother's life. That realization alone was enough to stir up the guilt in her young heart. Lifting her teal gaze from the egg, she looked over her shoulder at Alysanne and with a furrowed brow the girl sighs. "I'm sorry, mama." She shuffles her hooves slightly, hugs her wings more tightly to her small frame. "I didn't mean to go so far... it's just... it's so... cold." Another crack sounded from the egg at her hooves and her ears swiveled back, hesitating to allow her gaze to leave her mother's. But Alysanne's next words were all the permission she needed.

Looking back down at the egg, watching it quiver and crack - the connection was instant. "Like...like HEMLOCK?!" her voice rose dramatically at the end, joy spreading across her face. She was going to get a little owl, too? Just like her mother? Or would it be like daddy's bird - dark with silver star-like speckles. Hesitantly she steps back, granting the egg a bit more space. Teal eyes watch her mother carefully as she plucks out some of her feathers and places them around the egg. Naerys fidgets, shifting her weight amongst her hooves - unable to contain her nervous yet excited energy.

It was a slow process, or at least that's how it seemed to the filly. Perhaps the cold had made the creature lethargic or perhaps the girl was simply impatient. When the egg finally opened enough to allow the creature to escape - it was clear that it was, in fact, a small bird. But it didn't look like Hemlock and it didn't have the colors to be like daddy's bird. Naerys looked at the small bird quizzically. Noting the bright green of his damp fluff and red-orange of his beak and legs - the filly couldn't help but smile. "Colorful!" she declares, pride swelling in her chest. Inching carefully forward, she lowers herself to the ground in front of the small bird - her bird. Slowly she moves her velvety soft nose closer and closer, breathing in his scent.

The bird's pale eyes lock onto her teal eyes and suddenly he chirps. Just once, then quivers. Quietly, with concern clear upon her features,  she says "Mama, he's cold." Having only just been born near the beginning of Tallsun, the instinct just wasn't there. Was she supposed to lick the fluid off? Was supposed to dry him somehow? She wanted to fix it but didn't know how. That's when it dawned on her that she would have to feed him, too. What on earth did a bird like this eat? Hemlock, she knew, ate small rodents. But this bird is too small for such meals. Teal eyes glance up at the green of her mother's, silently pleading for her help.

[so sorry for the delay! should be faster now. <3]

you did not break me
i'm still fighting for peace
Image Credits

@Knox @Alysanne