HELOVIA || The Way to the Sun
:: Q&A :: - Printable Version

+- HELOVIA || The Way to the Sun (http://helovia.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (http://helovia.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Comments (http://helovia.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: :: Q&A :: (/showthread.php?tid=19769)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

:: Q&A :: - Official - 06-10-2015

Ask anything! Do you have quick questions that need answers? Do you need clarifying? Do you want to know why a rule exists? This is where you ask it! We will save all asked questions (without your name on the list) for future reference.

Magic Related Questions
What can transfer with my character when they transform?
Markings and items can be carried over, or not, if you like. However appendages like wings and horns cannot
i.e. you cannot transform from a peagasus into a winged and flighted shark. That shark can however have wing markings (homage to your peg wings) or your super special markings.

Can magic with gliding restrictions be upgraded to full flight?
Only pegasus & pegasus hybrids may have full flight.
On a related note, a pegasus & pegasus hybrid in their normal form which cannot fly (small wings, torn wings) can fly if they transform into a naturally flighted creature (i.e. bird).

Can you ask for more than one god with a VotG pass, or would you require a pass for each god summoned? Would a quest by multiple gods require a different task from each one, or would it be one difficult quest?
Due to admin time and strain, only one god will come. Separate VOTG passes are required for more than one god. Typically the gods do not work together - some won't even show if a certain on is there depending on their current feelings for each other - so you would have to do them separately.

Does a character have to be a certain age before they approach the veins looking for a quest?
No! You can go to the veins no matter what age with a VOTG pass.

Can you have wings/horns added to a non pegasus/unicorn?
Yes, they're essentially considered permanently attached items (but they can still be stolen!) and do not change your character into a hybrid. They do require either a quest or an enchanted item for the permanence.

Can a character with shape shifting magic use their magic in their other form?
Yep!

Item Related Questions
Do we need an item pass for items gifted or created IC? ex. a character is given a feather.
Feathers, beads, braids, etc. are so small we actually don't even record them, so those are fine. Anything else though would require a pass if the character doesn't have crafting magic or already have that item int heir records (thus the gift is a record transfer, not an item creation).

Do some items not count to the item maximum?
Most items do, just very very small items or one use items don't. Ex. charms, vials of blood, single feathers, single earrings, genetic mutations (a gene not an item), and amulets (but there is a max of 5 items per character).

What if you have a bunch of really small items for collection purposes?
The best thing to do is to combine all those small items into some sort of trinket that contains them all. That way your records are not obnoxiously long but it still accounts for the important stuff.

Do you have to have 2 items count to offensive and 2 to defensive?
Nope! You can have eight totally non-fighting related items if you want, we just designed the item limit specifically to have at least four so that you could fill your offensive/defensive item slots. Just know if you have eight random items, that means you can't apply anything to your stats unless you were to get rid of/alter one to make room for an offensive/defensive one.

Is 'color changing eyes' or 'always glittering hair' a mutation possibility, or just passive magic?
Just passive! Mutations are things like fangs, crystals on body, etc. More of a physical nature than the magical nature of passive magic.

Can you use a mutation prize on a companion to make them have extra claws or change size?
Nope! Those prizes are for horses, the only thing that can be applied to companions is the companion magic, extra companion magic, and companion age jump prizes.

Marking Related Questions
Are we allowed to have enchanted markings?
Glowing markings can be obtained as site prizes or when coupled with passive magic, but otherwise markings cannot be made enchanted and do not have any abilities other than aesthetics.

Companion Related Questions
Why can't companions have added markings?
Because royal/common/plain companions are often differentiated by their markings and the extent of their markings, and since class plays an important role in the gameplay, we don't allow modifications of that class system.

Can companions have some colors different from their set color when created?[b]
Yes, companions can have some minor extra colors, so long as the majority of them is their set color (ex. white dragon with green patch on top of head). This might cause very minimal/limited markings. Get approval from admin.

[b]Why can't companions have items?

Because companions are an asset to a character, they are in themselves like an item, so we don't want items having items for sake of simplicity. You can have your companion hold items though, so it doesn't own it or always have it, but it can hold onto something for you like an amulet, just be realistic with item vs. companion size physical limits.

Can a mythical companion have normal companion magic?
No, they must stick to the mythical magic for their kind.

Can a character see through their companion's eyes?
In a way. Because the bond links the character and companion, they share feelings, pain, and some senses. It's not like the character becomes the companion though, so it's more like really fast snapshots of the companion's experience going directly to your character's brain - because of this you might also perceive it differently, because a horse's brain is wired to perceive the world one way, and a companion's another. Just like as humans we cannot see the UV light birds can, so even if you were bonded to a bird, your body simply cannot sense things the same way the bird does, bond or not!

Do griffins need to be a bird of prey?
Common griffins can be any small or medium sized bird.

Stealth Related Questions
Is the week wait for a stealth from when it ends or is created or ?
The 7 day wait between stealths counts from the time stamp of when it is done being judged (if it wasn't guessed) or when it is revealed (if it was guessed).

Battle Related Questions
Is the time for a spar/challenge defaulting based on the fight post or the dice roll?
The dice roll post date & time is when the count down starts for all fights, since it just wouldn't be fair otherwise! With a challenge though, feel free to tackle any and every admin you see to get it done as quickly as possible ;D

Is the week wait for a spar/challenge from when it ends or is created or ?
The 7 day wait between spars counts from the time stamp of the first dice roll is for a set character (ex. Sue attacks 1/3, dice is rolled, 7 day wait starts for Sue and only Sue). The 7 day wait for challenges counts from the time stamp of the rubric posting, since these have IC consequences.

Can you alter the attack count in spars?
You always need a minimum of 3 attacking posts each per player (and a closing defense for the first to attack!) but you can always have more attacking posts if you wanted :)

Can you set a spar's default time less than the 3 week normal timeline standard?
The site's spar timeline standards are normal (3 weeks) or extended (2 months). The timeline must be mentioned in the first post or two to be applied to a spar - if not mentioned it's assumed to be normal.
If you want to spar with a shorter default timeline (ex. 1 week) you can, but you cannot do longer default timelines (ex. 4 weeks). All parties involved in the spar must agree to and clearly state the altered timeline, however admin will only enforce the site's timelines so it's up to the players involved to recognize when they have defaulted their own timeline, though it will only be officially declared a default when it hits the site standards.

Can you set stakes in a spar?
Typically challenges only have 'stakes' and it's only the character initiating the challenge that can put something up - the defending character cannot because they are fighting to either keep or lose the stakes, not to take something else in return from the challenge initiator.
If you want to spar with stakes however you can, and it can be something up from each character involved and must be items either on that character's records or the player's prize record (ex. Sue vs. Bobby spar, if Sue loses Bobby gets her amulet, if Bobby loses Sue gets his foal stats prize). OOC items (ex. art) can be considered stakes, but that will turn the fight into an OOC one which doesn't earn VP. Admin will not enforce these stakes in any way because it is not a site rule, so it's up tot he players to heed the stakes based on the fight outcome and post the trade where appropriate.

Is the damage derived from an attack based on the number rolled by the dice (1-6), the character's damage stat, or both?
The dice roll of 1-6 is always to keep the damage scaled, but the extent of that damage does vary with your opponent's damage stat, hence why greater damage stat means more HP is lost. You consider your opponent's damage stat and the value of the dice roll, but you do not need to add numbers or do percentages or anything like that, just consider that although a bruise (damage roll 1) is still a bruise, it can hurt more depending on who gave it to you.
If a 5 year old girl punches you, you arm is bruised, and it kinda hurts, like a damage roll of 1.
If a buff marine soldier punches you, you arm is bruised, and it really hurts. Just because he's a soldier doesn't mean you arm suddenly pops off, but the bruising will probably be more extensive, deeper, wider, more immediately tender. Still a damage roll of 1, still a bruise, but more damaging.
If a 5 year old girl hits you with a crowbar, your arm is maybe dislocated or utterly unusable, a damage roll of 6.
If a buff marine soldier hits you with a crowbar, your arm is probably broken, a damage roll of 6.

Do battle buffs stack?
Yep! That's while you'll see as you continue to unlock them your stats continue to improve.

Rule & Policy Questions
Can we make an account before the 30 day limit and just not post it?
We know people want to work on profiles and such, but you should not make an account (unless a special SWP rule bend i.e. rift SWP) until 30 days has passed since you last created a character.
On a related note, please do not just make accounts months ahead of time. We don't mind you making an unborn foal's account a bit early, but foals/new characters should not have empty accounts sitting around for months without being played!

Can 'Others' be animals that don't normally have wings? Can they be an alternative of companion mythicals (i.e. griffin companions vs. cynogriffin other)? Can they be a mythical that is not a companion?
Others cannot be extinct animals past 100 years or current day animals with wings (or other various mythical traits) added. They can be established mythical creatures yes, but not if they're too similar to a companion mythical. Generally you're better of putting them on your wishlist for admin approval since there's so much potential variety it's hard to compile a set list of allowances for Others.

Can a hybrid pass be applied to an Other to make them a hybrid?
Hybrid passes should be reserved for horse characters only please.

Is there any way a dead character can impregnate a live one?
Unfortunately not, once dead they're dead - no spiritual sperms!

How big is Helovia and how long does it take to get from one land to another?
Helovia is of similar size to North America, which is is ~2,500 miles east to west, and ~1,500 miles north to south. Roughly horses can travel 40-50 miles in a day on average, so realistically moving from any land to another would take several days on Helovia, and crossing the realm would take several weeks to months. However, you'll see that this is really hardly ever incorporated into posts because it puts too many restraints on things and ruins the beauty of liquid time. The realm has been described as being so large specifically to allow so many different biomes - even with all the horses we have they really wouldn't need this much land space, albeit horses are destructive to the lands they graze on, but having enough space for all the herds was another reason.

RE: :: Q&A :: - Ki'irha - 06-10-2015

Ooh, wonderful idea, I hate bugging admins with nonsense questions.

How long does it typically take to receive approved battle stats after posting in the stats thread?

If we win a pass, are we able to make some modifications to the character submitted for the roll? (Not to the magic/companion, but to appearance or history?)

RE: :: Q&A :: - Tamme - 06-10-2015

@[Ki'irha]

How long does it typically take to receive approved battle stats after posting in the stats thread?
Honestly this depends. If your character is the same breed as another character, it should be posted very quickly and approved. If your character is a rare or strange breed, it may involve more admin chatting and prolong the approval process!

If we win a pass, are we able to make some modifications to the character submitted for the roll? (Not to the magic/companion, but to appearance or history?)
I am assuming this is the seasonal slot right? The ones posted in the updates board? If so, yes! You are allowed to alter the appearance and history and name. The point of filling out that form is that you are not just grabbing a slot to grab a slot but that you actually have a character PLANNED that you will be joining. Otherwise, it's rude to take a slot from someone with an active/formed idea.

RE: :: Q&A :: - Ki'irha - 06-10-2015

Wonderful, @[Tamme], thanks so much!

RE: :: Q&A :: - NPC - 06-19-2015

In the case of challenges and the 72-hour response period, does the 72 hours begin from when the opponent posts or an admin posts the dice roll?

RE: :: Q&A :: - Blu - 06-19-2015

Dice roll is when the count down starts for all fights, since it just wouldn't be fair otherwise! Feel free with a challenge though to tackle any and every admin you see to get it done as quickly as possible ;D

RE: :: Q&A :: - Ki'irha - 06-21-2015

Two more!

Can we post a wishlist prior to the creation of a character?

Can we begin the profile of a character prior to the one month date, as long as the character isn't introduced IC until the correct date?

RE: :: Q&A :: - Odd - 06-21-2015

1. Yes and No. For the most part Wishlists need to be under the name of the character to whom they belong. So I wouldn't make Gaucho's wishlist under any other account other than 'Gaucho' . So in that regard the answer is no - you need to be posting the wishlist from the account of the character that it refers to. HOWEVER, when you are making characters for the seasonal slots (join with a hybrid, companion, magic), then those lists can be listed under one of your other characters.

2. Can you begin the profile where? You shouldn't be storing character information for another character on your character profile - it violates our rules when it comes to having clear information on character profiles. Sites like jfiddle easily let you play around with coding and stuff so that you can have it all ready by the time you are able to create your new characters account.

RE: :: Q&A :: - Official - 06-22-2015

To clarify on what Aud said because I read your question differently - yes, you can create an account and work on the profile for a new character as long as they are not posted within 1 month wait!

RE: :: Q&A :: - Odd - 06-22-2015

You can't even create an account if you're within the 30 days though, so I'm not sure how that would work?

RE: :: Q&A :: - Ki'irha - 06-22-2015

My apologies this wasn't specific enough ^^' I won the magic pass, and considered creating the profile for the character before the 1 month mark, and was wondering if that was acceptable as long as I did not actually post anything from that account until the 1month mark was hit and the character was allowed to join IC.

RE: :: Q&A :: - Odd - 06-22-2015

No - you must wait 30 days between character creations. So even if you weren't going to post your new character the system wouldn't even let you make the account. :)

RE: :: Q&A :: - Mortuus Nox - 07-23-2015

I was wondering how you would go about getting magic and companions, like when we make our wish list it says new characters can quest right away. I'm just curious how all the magic and companion stuff works, I am just a bit confused on it still :) thanks guys!!

RE: :: Q&A :: - Tamme - 07-23-2015

@[Mortuus Nox]
Once the site is out of "passive mode" and updated, you will see the accounts "God of "...." and "Random Event" post! These are competitions for magic and companions that you enter by writing your character to whatever challenge they pose.

RE: :: Q&A :: - Mortuus Nox - 07-23-2015

Ohhhh I get it now !! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer in this time of crazy updates for to you all, I appreciate it:) @[Tamme]

RE: :: Q&A :: - Blu - 09-07-2015

Updated with some recent questions! Remember sometimes it's best to ask on here so everyone can see, since questions you often have others do as well (or may in the future :3).

I think I'm missing a few other recent ones that would be applicable knowledge for everyone but I already forgot @.@

RE: :: Q&A :: - Erthë - 09-07-2015

"Are we allowed to have enchanted markings?
- Unfortunately no - you can, however, couple markings to passive magic to give them glowing or aesthetic properties. "

Where does glowing markings fall? I know they were awarded to some after RE battles. Morir ex has one such marking, the gray lacing on his back glows yet he has no Passive magic.

RE: :: Q&A :: - God of the Moon - 09-07-2015

I don't understand the question @Erthë ?

Glowing markings are only given out as special prizes - you can't ever attain them yourself in game.

The point about passive magic was just suggested as a way of 'getting' an 'enchanted' marking. For instance, lots of our new Rift characters have markings that glow and change, because of their passive magics.

RE: :: Q&A :: - Erthë - 09-07-2015

Ah, but the fact that they are given out means that they are allowed - you just have to obtain them IC. That's basically what I wanted to get to, I think, because the answer to that question made it seem as though you couldn't have glowing markings at all unless they were tied to passive magic.

Thank you for clarifying! :)

RE: :: Q&A :: - Lace - 09-09-2015

How many characters are required in a group before you can get a Secret board?

Is there a specific number of members required before a band can post invasions against herd lands?

Can you ask for more than one god with a VotG pass, or would you require a pass for each god summoned? And would a quest by multiple gods require a different task from each one, or would it be comprised into one difficult quest?