HELOVIA || The Way to the Sun
I want more and more and more and more - Printable Version

+- HELOVIA || The Way to the Sun (http://helovia.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (http://helovia.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (http://helovia.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: I want more and more and more and more (/showthread.php?tid=26150)

I want more and more and more and more - Wessex - 01-06-2017

WESSEX

Early morning. In the gauzy fog that drifts lazily up from a warming ground, a darker gray, horned mass looms on the edge of new land. The umpteenth place in an unknown number of places, there is nothing to distinguish it from all the others, she thinks dryly. Pre-dawn light casts its first weak rays through the trees, and she takes it as a sign to move forward. Birds rise, seeking worms, or bugs, or whatever it is they eat. Their calls make the morning seem eerily cheerful, trying to mesh the sounds of the everyday with the unusual looking creature stalking through the low-hanging mists.

Wessex walks slowly, taking her time to observe her surroundings and filter through the unfamiliar smells. Occasionally she stops and stands still, listening intently to forest. Routine information gathering; exits, potential areas for ambush, whatever life here sounds like, so she can register the abnormal, water sources, the smell of death and decay - her analytical, overly cautious brain hashes through the information as best she can. She is in no hurry - the slushy, then frozen over ground tells of equines who have come before her, and she can assume that they were found by whomever lives here, though there is not yet any sign of a guard. Odd.

Thirsty, Wessex eventually finds her way to a small pool of water which seems to be clear enough to drink from. It is fully light now, but fog still lingers in a tiny puff over it, and Wessex lowers her head to dispel it with her horns. She catches sight of herself in the water: orange-yellow eyes stare back at her with a stony intensity. They linger on her horns, sprouting high above her ears and radiating outward, growing smaller in a sort of rusty-red, crimson and white halo around her head. Her weapons. A reminder of the past. She is ingrained in them, finding herself in what they allow her to do, and the event from whence they came. Sometimes she catches herself, thinking she should be angry about the past, sad about the destruction of her kingdom - but there’s no going back, and there’s no use crying over spilt milk.

Only onward. Ever upward. Survival of the fittest.

Done drinking, her brawny body moves once again through the woods, mottled gray skin blending in with the dappled light, until it strikes the golden dragon crawling up her left leg. Powerful haunches propel her into the next adventure, with nary a glance behind her.

No Edge, please! - already got one there :)

RE: I want more and more and more and more - Tiamat - 01-06-2017

like the ocean kissed the sky—
Dawn beings to rise, spreading its golden fingers slowly through the purple ink of night, and lightening the shadows that silently rest in between the Threshold’s trees. Unaware of the darkness and its black monsters, white eyes are cast upwards, peering through the frosted boughs and to the hazy sky beyond. There she can still see the final remnants of her sister stars; they twinkle together, dancing their farewell until tomorrow night. It is a peaceful goodbye.

Exhaling a long breath from her nostrils, Tiamat lowers her eyes, dropping her gaze below the fading cloud of her breath. For a long moment—several moments, actually—the ocean mare is quiet, simply watching her cloven hooves as they step through the shallow, slow-bubbling waters of the stream. It’s been nearly a mile since she had come across the small, babbling brook, and while she is well aware of the potential consequences of travelling wet in the cusp between winter and spring, Tiamat had been too comforted by her brother’s appearance to do otherwise. She figures, being a practiced healer, that she knows what to do if it comes to that point.

For now, however, the sapphire maiden merely enjoys the peace of early morning.

The white orbs of her doe-eyes are primarily half-lidded in her wanderings, dainty ears rotating lazily from one side to the other, catching the sounds of the rustling trees and the birds’ songs. So engrossed is she in her musings of nature, that Tiamat finds herself daydreaming before fully realizing it. It is the soft touch of her companion that brings the Mender back to reality. Widening her eyes and shaking her head, Tiamat turns towards the young Leviathan, smiling and brushing her nose softly against the whale’s smooth forehead.

Nimue accepts her bonded’s affection eagerly, but with a short, high-pitched whistle, she alerts the mare to another’s presence; they are no longer alone. Following the Leviathan’s gaze, Tiamat notices the strapping stranger, moving in between the trees not far away. “Come, my darling,” Tiamat motions quietly to Nimue, and the two change their direction. The mare steps lightly onto the frozen banks, shivering once before breaking into a slow trot after the larger mare. “Hello there!” She calls out amiably, a wide smile softening her lips, “I don’t believe I’ve seen you around here before; are you new to Helovia?” She slows as she approaches, ears pressing forward intently.

notes; Yay! <33
Also, just so you know, the measurement of a horse's height only goes up to .3 hands (ex. 16.0, 16.1, 16.2, 16.3, and then 17.0, etc.) so Wessex would be 17.1 ;) or 16.3, or whatever xD
“Speech.”
@Wessex

RE: I want more and more and more and more - Wessex - 01-11-2017

I AM IRON AND I FORGE MYSELF
How one entertains the vast possibilities of the unknown, and furthermore, how one reacts when contact is made, says much about them. For Wessex, another’s reaction to her stature and horns are telling. Do their eyes grow wide, their nostrils flare, their gaze dark furtively around, looking quickly for exits, should she become ‘dangerous?’ Do they take her in stride, assuming the best and looking past outer appearances? - which is overly naive, she personally thinks - but some are quite optimistic about the world; Wessex would not damage that outlook without good cause. Unfortunately, good cause occasionally means good pay.

That is not the case, here. Here is a brand new opportunity (the definition is vague - Wessex is not entirely sure what she seeks, and therefore has neither expectations nor prejudices), and the wanderer does not want to spoil it. Before she sees the richly colored unicorn, she hears an unusual whistle, and when her head whips towards the sound, spies a floating mass through the skeletal trees. Stopping mid-step, Wessex focuses on it, trying to find why it looks vaguely familiar - or perhaps what it reminds her of. When its flippers become discernible, the image of the water-bound whale comes to mind - and in fact, that seems to be what it is. Minus the water. Hers was a sea-bordering kingdom, and she can remember a single episode when there was the luxury (perhaps her mother gave it to her, perhaps it was simply stolen time) to whale watch.

Even though they were a ways offshore, the breaching beasts seemed massive to young Wessex; big and joyful, she wondered if they were celebrating something, if their joy was so vast that they could not keep it under water, that they must share it with the land-dwellers and the flyers. Were they playing ‘who can make the biggest splash?’ She leaned against her stately dam and told her that one day, she wanted to be that big, she wanted to make such large splashes that they heard it down the coastline - if only to protect her mother and their Kingdom. Then no one would dare try to take their home from them - not the ever-advancing mold, and not the monsters that come slinking after.

So the whale is unusual, especially to see it floating above the ground, but her face is a steel mask of neutrality, a self-preservation lesson taught only by experiences and previous mistakes. Now that Tiamat has found her and issued a friendly greeting, Wessex must meet her with the same good faith. The mottled-gray mare meets the blue unicorn and her floating companion halfway between their original distance, yellow-orange eyes flicking occasionally between the two. Giving the appearance of a relaxation, Wessex remains slightly on edge until it can be determined whether or not the duo could be dangerous. Anyone with a horn and whale friend should be treated cautiously.

“Helovia,” she repeats after Tiamat, finding that indeed, she’s never heard the name before. “I am. Forgive me if I’m trespassing, I saw no signs of patrol or markers to indicate a border.” And if there were none set out, then she is not to be faulted. But alas, not all kingdoms thing so logically, or set up the proper precautions. And for the moment, she withholds her name. Better to be safe than sorry.  

wessex

@Tiamat  Right-o, thanks! I'll fix that.

RE: I want more and more and more and more - Tiamat - 01-18-2017

There are many individuals that would likely see the large, horned, and tattooed (is that a dragon?) mare and be frightened, or at least be put on edge—but the sea maiden is not one of them. Do not be mistaken: she realizes that her newfound company has something of a rougher appearance, but Tiamat is not one to make assumptions based on appearances alone. Fondly she thinks of one of her dearest friends. Nox is horribly scarred, haunted, and daunting, but the black stallion has come to hold a place very close to her heart. Would it be too ridiculous to think that she could come to share a similar bond with this brawny stranger?

Buoyed by spirits that are far too positive for the shadows of the real world, Tiamat settles comfortably in the taller mare’s company (not unlike a tranquil stream, gently lapping against its stony, rigid banks). She tilts her head innocently to the side when the other issues something of an apology, the length of her lion tail swaying softly in her curiosity. “No need for you to worry,” she reassures the dappled mare with a bright smile. “This is the Threshold—Helovia’s entrance; everyone is happily received here. Welcome!” Her grin widens until the joy reaches to animate her eyes.

Of course, the ocean mare’s explanation is perhaps a little too optimistic for reality, but she knows nothing else, and only hopes to help this stranger in any way that she can. Whether that be offering her a home in the Basin, or pointing her in the direction of a particular location, she will be honored to have welcomed her into Helovia’s borders.

Tucking her head in a brief inclination, the Mender continues soon after, shifting her weight to prevent her damp lower legs from becoming numb. “My name is Tiamat, and this is my companion, Nimue,” she gestures briefly to the Leviathan with her curved horn. Nimue, although eager to initially approach the stranger, is now her usual shy self. She whistles again at her name—this one low and soft—while peeking around her bonded’s hip. Tiamat smiles dotingly before speaking again. “We come from the Aurora Basin—one of Helovia’s four herd lands,” Tiamat stops herself before she begins a rant of information, figuring a little at a time would be best. “Have you travelled far?” Her smile lingers softly.

notes; SO SORRY for the wait!! <3
“Speech.”
@Wessex

RE: I want more and more and more and more - Wessex - 01-19-2017

Optimism - that is, outspoken optimism - is not entirely within Wessex’s repertoire. It’s not that she doesn’t have a positive outlook, it’s that she’s found life is rarely as pleasant as one expects. The Gods have a funny way of taking you sky high, and then dropping you when you’re right over the pointiest bit of rock. Watch out below, cause that type of fall will leave even the most weathered warrior bruised and bloodied.

That is not to say that aren’t nice parts of life; friendships, lovers, and she supposes children might be up there, though the warrior currently hasn’t the slightest inclination to give up her current irresponsible lifestyle to raise a kid. Sometimes Wessex marvels at the beauty of the land she’s traveling through. The idea that the world can be so vast and different never ceases to amaze her. The same goes for her kind, and it is safe to say that she has never, ever encountered a floating mini-whale, either in or out of the water, nevermind one that seems to be friends with a unicorn. Huh. Her first impression of Helovia are odd ones, indeed. .

Her heavy head dips in response to the welcome, silently thanking Tiamat for assuaging a brief concern. At the introduction, Wessex allows herself to peer around Tiamat’s body and freely examine the now-hiding creature. It is a curious gaze, and she tries to keep her orange-yellow eyes soft, rather than the often hard, no-nonsense gaze they tend to lean towards. Her mouth twitches into a brief half-smile towards Nimue, before her attention returns to the Tiamat. “I am Wessex. I must admit that I have never seen anything quite like your friend… No offense, but what is she?” The name sounded fairly feminine, but again, that was purely a guess. And Nimue hadn’t spoken in their language, so it was logical to assume that she would not be able to communicate with Wessex, either.

“Yes. Not sure how far I’ve gone in the past year, but Mercs don’t tend to stay in one place very long. D’you need any warrior types?”

wessex

@Tiamat

RE: I want more and more and more and more - Tiamat - 01-20-2017

Feeling the stranger’s gaze come to rest on her, Nimue presses closer against her bonded’s flank, peering out just far enough to reveal a sparkling blue eye. Wessex is a large and strange creature in her young mind, nothing short of intimidating, but the whale’s curiosity is strong enough to overpower any fear that might bubble up in her stomach. She chirps in the dappled mare’s direction (a short but resonant sound) and bobs her head a few times.

Tiamat grins at her companion—a gesture which deepens at the other mare’s question. “You’re not the first one to ask,” the ocean maiden says with a breathless chuckle, sure that she won’t be the last either.

“She is a Leviathan—a smaller, land-adapted version of her larger cousins in the ocean. She can be shy at first, but she seems to like you,” a dainty ear twitches in the little orca’s direction, followed by a brief but affectionate glance. Nimue is humming quietly by this point, very aware that she seems to be the center of the conversation. “I’ve only ever seen one other one myself,” Tiamat muses between them, the playful dolphin flashing through her memories as she returns her gaze to Wessex. What an extraordinary world indeed!

When the larger mare continues, her answer doesn’t come as surprise—though Tiamat finds her head tilting curiously when the word ‘Mercs’ is used (like a title, or a people, but it is not one that she recognizes). However, she is distracted from her intent to ask about it when Wessex inquires about her mountain home. Suddenly she brightens, eager to share. “I believe we do! Either way, I’m sure you’ll be happily welcomed,” the blue mare nods merrily, unable to contain the smile across her lips. Being a healer (and not particularly comfortable with violence), she is not entirely familiar with the warrior ranks, but she knows that even when they have a sufficient number of healers, they don’t just turn away someone who wants to learn their trade. The warriors must be the same way, right?

Flicking her leonine tail contentedly, the ocean mare proceeds, enthusiasm in her voice. “I can show you the way—” she angles herself in the proper direction, leaning the weight of her body forward, “—although, please, let me know if you need to rest. I understand how wearisome travelling can be on one’s feet.” She shakes her head knowingly, waiting for Wessex’s agreement before beginning their journey together.

“Speech.”
@Wessex

RE: I want more and more and more and more - Wessex - 01-22-2017

The chirps are nothing if not charming, and the soldier cannot help but smile in response. Leviathan. Got it. Wessex nods and tucks that bit of information away for later - there was at least one other like it in this land, and who knows what else. The good thing is that they’re small. The bad - no, interesting - thing is that companion was used almost like a title, and so she wonders if everyone here has a miniature animal to hang out with. If so, where can she get one? Preferably one that can kick ass, because who wouldn’t want a fearsome (if small) beast at their side? Imagine the scrapes they could get into together… and a mercenary’s life tends to be awfully lonely and sometimes painfully short. She’s learned how to make the most of it while she can, which means she has tastes that one doesn’t often find in most females. Ah, but that is not the point.

The point is that she now has something to occupy her time, though payment hasn’t been discussed. The horned mare shakes her head to indicate that she need not rest (Ha! She wouldn’t dare show a stranger even if she were tired. Hunger is another thing. Wessex eats a lot to compensate for her size and high activity levels), and says simply, “Lead on.” In truth, Wessex is a woman of fewer words than most; idle chit-chat is not her thing, but she is not above getting to know someone in the proper time and place. Nor is she above answering questions about herself, a lack of expressed interest in others did not sit well with many females.

She quickly digests the information in her head: four kingdoms, Helovia, and Aurora Basin. Companion. Leviathan and…. What else? Not much. And Tiamat, herself, holds no hints that she can see, no strong scent of anything about her home. So Wessex follows, and it is not long before she asks a question that she always leads with, for her contacts are rarely the ones in power. “What are your leaders like?”

wessex

@Tiamat  We can continue in the Basin if you like :)