HELOVIA || The Way to the Sun
if you go out you might pass out in a drain pipe [vol vs aelfwine] - Printable Version

+- HELOVIA || The Way to the Sun (http://helovia.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (http://helovia.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (http://helovia.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Battle Archives (http://helovia.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=64)
+---- Thread: if you go out you might pass out in a drain pipe [vol vs aelfwine] (/showthread.php?tid=26636)

if you go out you might pass out in a drain pipe [vol vs aelfwine] - Volterra - 02-20-2017

V O L T E R R A

CHAMPAGNE, COCAINE, GASOLINE, AND MOST THINGS IN BETWEEN
I ROAM THE CITY IN A SHOPPING CART, A PACK OF CAMELS AND A SMOKE ALARM

She's so close now, so close he could reach out and taste her....The blood from her antlers coagulates and hardens against his ear, forming a delicate scab that pulsates with a faint pain against the chilly evening. She twirls, pivots, rakes her antlers against his hardened muscles; something else purrs its approval and seeks to harden too, but he smothers the urge with as much strength as he can muster. Volterra isn't shy, but nor is he an exhibitionist - he doesn't want the rest of the dating Helovians to see his finest moves. When he pleasures his women, it is an experience for them and them alone.

In his hazy, alcohol-tainted mind, however, the thought of rutting in front of the jealous eyes of Aelfwine's brother is a deeply appealing one, not to mention an arousing one. That evil little voice in his head urges him to do it, but he crushes it down and tries to peer through the tipsy fuzz in his mind towards sense and reason.

With a deep, masculine growl, the leviathan begins to walk away. He casts his sultry gaze over his shoulder to invite the tree-marked mare to follow, and seeks to lead her a short distance away to where the ground unfurls before them. Shrubs and shadows block them from the rest of the couples, and the titan cannot help but notice the fact that this wide, flat, private area of land would make the perfect battlefield. That wicked, salacious grin of his spreads further and he peers at the beautiful woman through hooded eyes, his intentions clear in the darkened rubies. "Would you like that lesson now, my dear?" he rumbles, turning to face her with his massive body braced against the ground in its finest battle-pose; thickly-muscled neck arched, ears perked forwards attentively, stocky limbs spread and prepared. "And the reward afterwards, of course."

The Gladiator flicks his mane and invites her forwards, his tail swishing with anticipation as he awaits her first move.

Spar for @Aelfwine !

Set in the Secret Grove out of sight of the rest of the speed dating, set directly after this. Feel free to have the first move :D

0/3 - words

image credits

RE: if you go out you might pass out in a drain pipe [vol vs aelfwine] - Aelfwine - 02-23-2017

AELFWINE

He inched closer, his scent strong to her despite the dull of her senses from the alcohol. The faintest of grins slid across her muzzle as her emerald gaze took him in like a prize. The hazy sound of a growl from Volterra’s lips reached her ears, while her shoulder pulsed with the tension of a small bruise beginning to grow. It tightened with her movements as she began to follow him, walking behind him as if she were a child. Her grey head hung low, yet her ears perked forward to him in interest, still bearing that ghostish smirk against her pink snipped lips. Shade began to cover the two of them, painting different shapes from the leaves against her already dappled hide. The shade caused the air around them to cool ever so slightly; and that was when she noticed the flat piece of land that he guided her to. When his words reached her ears, as the Gladiator offered her a lesson in battle, her head lifted as a small amount of nervousness settled in her stomach.

And the reward afterwards, of course.” His words sounded far away against her clouded mind. The alcohol continued to burn, as a small smoldering sensation deep within her barrel at the event she had just signed up for. Her emerald gaze looked to him, wide and deer-like as she began to steady her breath, unaware she had started to gulp air like a fish out of water. Aelfwine shifted her weight uncomfortably as she glanced around the area, taking a bit more notice in her surroundings, looking for anything she could use. The earth beneath her wasn’t too soft, nor was it too hard; a perfect cushion for the mare if she were to fall. It provided some solace to the dappled doe as she returned her gaze to his challenging scarlet ones, the same color as the blood that began to dry as it stained the prongs of her dark antlers from her previous playful attempts at battle.

She went from timid and unsure, to confidently accepting his challenge. Whether that was due to the alcohol in her system, the family trait of stubbornness, or the fact she wouldn’t be proven wrong about willing to learn from him, she wasn’t sure. She decided in that split second that she wouldn’t give up. She shifted once more, flicking her charcoal tail against her hocks, her head lowering as a smile grazed the corners of her lips once again. “Teach me everything.” She finally answered him. Aelfwine had no clue what she was getting herself into. The idea that she could take on a gladiator out of everyone else she knew, despite the spars she had participated in back when she spent time with Bartholomeo and his crew, were different beasts entirely and hadn’t quite registered in her mind. Volterra was massive in comparison to her, too. Anyone would have thought twice about taking him on, even for lessons. He had nearly two hands on her in height, and the muscles that rippled beneath his onyx skin screamed brute force. Aelfwine should have known not to bite off more than she could chew, but she was too stubborn. Nor did she think he would take her up on the offer.

Aelfwine pawed at the earth twice with her left cloven hoof before leaning back on her hind quarters and springing out toward him, slightly aiming herself towards her right to try and graze his left shoulder should he stay in place. Her hooves gripped the earth easily as she barreled toward him, bounding against the lush grasses of the field beneath her. Deep down, she hoped she would collide with him. She hoped she could show him what she was capable of. She hoped she could show him that she wasn’t just a pretty face that was incapable of handling her own battles. She made terrible choices often, though. Perhaps Volterra was one of those miscalculations.

"Talk."
--
Attack: 1/3 – Words: 665
Damage tracker: --
Summary: She's a bit nervous at first, gathers her nerves and faces Vol before pawing at the ground and runs at him, aiming her antlers at Vol's left shoulder.
OOC: -- Snow’s generously offered to give me a teaching spar! <3

sugar cane in the easy mornin',
weather-vanes my one and lonely.

image credits

@Volterra

RE: if you go out you might pass out in a drain pipe [vol vs aelfwine] - Volterra - 02-25-2017

V O L T E R R A

There is a part of the blackened monolith that thinks she won't take him up on his offer. Not because he doubts she has balls, but because accepting such a challenge from a man of his powerful stature and intimidating presence is not something that most people will take lightly. He wouldn't hold anything against her for politely declining and offering to engage at a different time....but he is deeply, gutturally thrilled when she chooses to face him now. The beast's eyes darken with salacious delight, his neck arching and his limbs shuddering with frenzied anticipation as he gazes upon his date-turned-opponent.

Volterra is always eager to fight new opponents under different circumstances; in snow, in storms, in rain, in caves. Fighting whilst under the influence of fermented apples is certainly a new one, a handicap he's gleefully inflicted upon himself. His gaze is fuzzy, his limbs leaden and slow; he isn't past the point of coherent thought, but he can definitely feel that he is not fully himself. The good thing is that his opponent will surely be feeling similar effects.

The titan looks again at the antlered mare, but forces himself to see past the rampant beauty that stares him in the face and instead focus on the subtle things that make a warrior. She's well-built, noticeably smaller than him but still sturdy enough to pack a punch. He sees power, he sees muscle, he sees a woman brimming with battle potential. He thinks he has the edge on her in strength - he has the edge on almost everybody in that - but would hazard a guess that her build is suited to agility and endurance. She'll be able to weave around him like a spiderweb, and meet him blow for blow.

He digests his observations and flashes her a wolf's smile, excitement brimming across every aspect of his handsome face and shuddering inside every hardened muscle. Their battlefield is unremarkable; flat and devoid of obstacles, soft enough to cushion limbs yet hard enough to not suck hooves into its depths. It is ideal, almost as though the gods of war have chosen to smile upon the duelling duo.

She paws the ground like a bull ready to charge, and charge she does. The leviathan stands his ground, confident that she won't be able to topple him even if she collides full-force into him. Unfortunately, he doesn't bank on those antlers of hers. He should have been aware of them given the fact she's already scraped him with them once, and perhaps if his brain was fully lucid and apple-free then he would have thought to consider them. Alas, the alcohol convinces him that they aren't that big a deal, that they won't hurt that much if they hit...

Big mistake.

Just in time, the Gladiator realises that maybe it's not the best idea to take the full brunt of the attack. He shifts to his right, and that stops him taking the complete force of Aelfwine's antlers; they do, however, gore deeply into his left shoulder. Blood erupts and splatters down his leg, and he unleashes a loud snort of mingled pain and surprise. He stares at the gaping wound with something akin to disbelief, as though marvelling at the fact she'd actually managed to hit him with such force. The wound is deep enough to somewhat limit the movement in his left foreleg, and he silently berates himself for taking such a painful wound so early on.

He remembers his vow to teach her, and tries to shake off his pain with a flick of his head and replace his startled expression with one of lazy confidence. "That was good. Your antlers are one of your strongest assets, so it's wise to use them often. Now, when I move to attack you, watch my body carefully. A flex of a muscle can tell you which way I'm going to go, which part of you I'm going to attack. Observe me, and try to avoid my attacks."

The goliath lunges. He favours his injured left foreleg, putting less weight on it and causing his stride to become crooked and off-balance. Using it to attack with is not an option, so he seeks to simply approach her head-on with his chest thrust out. His movements are deliberately exaggerated to try and show her what he's planning; he seeks to slam his chest hard into her own, wanting to force her backwards with his superior weight and hopefully unbalance her.

Simultaneously his jaws snap forwards in slow motion to give her ample chance to see and avoid them; he hopes to nip the left side of her neck, a forceful and lustful love-bite aimed to dominate.

Teaching spar for @Aelfwine !

1/3 - 786 words

image credits

TEACHING NOTES

Grammar/Prose/Emotion Needless to say, I absolutely love how you write and could see no errors in this post. Every thing flowed nicely and it was clear, concise and easy to read. You write Aelf beautifully and I loved her nervousness turning to confidence.

The first thing I always say in teaching spars is to make sure you proof-read. Cutting out simple typos and spelling errors is one of the easiest ways to avoid losing silly points, and can make the difference between victory and defeat. It's good that you're already doing that, so make sure you keep it up during your other posts too ^_^

Attacks Your attack was simple and well-written - my only small complaint is that I can't see anywhere that it mentions what part of her body she's using to attack with. Your OOC part says her antlers but it doesn't actually say this in the post that I can see - make sure you specify what part of her body she's using so that you don't get deductions for realism :D

Damage taken N/A. How much do you know about the stats system? I'm happy to explain it all to you but if you can let me know how much you already know about how the damage rolls etc work, I can alter my notes accordingly :)

Other You did a good job noticing the battlefield and how it may affect you, which is great :D You also had her note Vol's size, but you could definitely go into this a bit more and have her observe the differences between their builds. To do this, go into their profiles and look at their base stats. Vol's are Strength: 9, Speed: 5, Agility: 6, Endurance: 6. Aelf's are 5,2,7,6. So you could have her remark on the fact that she's more agile than him and ponder how she will use that to her advantage, and she could also note that they seem to possess similar stamina so will probably tire at the same rate :)

Overall, a solid first post. Good job!

RE: if you go out you might pass out in a drain pipe [vol vs aelfwine] - Aelfwine - 03-02-2017

AELFWINE

Perhaps it was her naivety that caused her to display such a show before charging at Volterra; however, with the springtime air beating through her mane as her head lowered and she aimed her antlers at his chest, she realized she couldn’t keep her eyes open and see what might, or might not happen. As she swiftly cantered across the field, her cloven hooves gripped the damp earth and her eyes shut tight as she tried to control her breath. It didn’t take long for her antlers to collide with his left shoulder. A small gasp escaped her lips as she felt the sharp points gore deep into his muscle. The feeling had been so soft and so wrong for her, it caused her stomach to roll with the idea of what she’d done to him. Her head began to feel heavy from her collision, but she tried to shake it off as she pulled away from him. Blood began to run down his leg, and in turn, it began to drip down her dark antlers as well. Aelfwine’s eyes grew wide and her chest grew tight, suddenly worried that perhaps this wasn’t what Volterra had meant when he had taken her up on her offer of lessons. You couldn’t kill your teacher, right?

Swiftly, her head lifted high as her wide, doe-like eyes tried to find his gaze, but she couldn’t stop returning to look at the wound she had inflicted. Her vision was starting to grow slightly blurred as she blinked to avoid getting blood in her eyes as it dripped down onto her forehead. Yet, despite her slightly distorted gaze, she noticed him shake his head and begin to favor his foreleg as they faced each other again, ears tilting forward to listen to his words as they crossed the field. “Now when I move to attack you…” His words grew distant as her urge to apologize repeatedly tried to take control. “A flex of muscle… Which way I’m going to go.” His voice pulsated in her ear much like her heartbeat, coming and going with bursts of her wanting to apologize growing louder and more overwhelming in her blood stained head.

Then he lunged.

She hadn’t been paying much attention to what he said of watching his muscles flex, nor was she even looking for that. Instead she was too caught up in the blood that continued to drip onto her forehead and the loud sound of her heartbeat echoing in her ears. As Volterra grew closer, and the possibility of danger, she noticed his large body had become offset by his injury. She began to back up slightly, hesitating as he charged her. Finally, she began to let her adrenaline rush over her to try and clear her mind. He was coming closer now, faster, aimed directly at doing a similar maneuver she had done – except his was brute force, chest to chest, and she knew it would hurt horribly. His size was one thing in comparison to her, his composition was something else entirely. Immediately, her heart began to sink with worry.

Then, she lunged too, putting more weight on her left side to spring herself away from him by bouncing forward and to the right, to try and avoid the collision all together. Immediately, her ears flicked back as a small amount of pain began to swell from her neck. While she had managed to avoid his initial collision, she hadn’t missed his teeth as they contacted her dappled neck. A small amount of blood began to coat the surface, but didn’t fall. It wasn’t deep enough of a wound to bleed freely like Volterra’s shoulder was, but it was deep enough to cause a small amount of fur to go missing and a small scrape to appear dark, red, and angry against her grey pelt. It pulsed with a small amount of pain, but it wasn’t too distracting from what she thought of next.

A quick second after his teeth had grazed her neck, she pushed all her weight onto her forelegs, bending her head and neck down toward the ground as she lifted her rear and aimed her hooves straight out at the Gladiator’s left hind hip if he continued the trajectory that he had been when he tried to collide with her, hoping her sharp cloven hooves would collide. She hoped her benefit in agility would prove useful here against Volterra’s strength. Then, when her hooves reached the ground again, she aimed to spin left toward his rear, her head remained lowered to try and use her antlers again to gain another advantage, hoping to connect again with his left hind quarter.

"Talk."
--
Attack: 2/3 – Words: 783
Damage tracker: A small scrape from Volterra's bite on her neck.
Summary: Aelfwine avoids the collision with Volterra's chest, but suffers a minor bite from him on her neck. She then tries to buck back at him, hoping to collide her hooves with his left hind hip before spinning left herself and aims her antlers at the same left hind hip.
OOC: thanks Snow! <3 :D I'm loving this fight already <3

sugarcane in the easy mornin',

image credits

@Volterra

RE: if you go out you might pass out in a drain pipe [vol vs aelfwine] - Volterra - 03-05-2017

V O L T E R R A

The pain in his side is a steady thrum like a heartbeat, serving as an unpleasant reminder that he might be Indomitable but he is not infallible. The alcohol in his system numbs the wound slightly but not enough to allow him to ignore it, nor does he have rage-fuelled adrenaline surging through his veins. This spar is not one that incites his usual berserker anger, and without it he feels...naked. It is more a part of him than his armour and weapons, leaving him exposed in its absence.

This, he supposes, is something he's going to have to get used to. He can't always rely on red-hot fury to steer him to victory - sometimes his opponent simply doesn't warrant it.

She neatly avoids his ramming chest, earning herself a rumble of approval from the mammoth stallion. His teeth strike their mark, but the blow is glancing, unremarkable. Normally this would piss Volterra right off, bid his eyes to flash with rage and his body to attempt to correct this oversight, but his apple-addled mind and desire to educate Aelfwine in the art of war means that he's delighted with her ability to evade at least one of his attacks. "Excellent!" he bellows, his baritone voice hearty and booming.

Just because he is keen to educate her, though, does not mean he is going to allow himself to be annihilated. His gaze pins itself onto her svelte frame, watching as her muscles bunch and direct her towards his left hip. Immediately the monolith braces his forelegs against the ground and swings his hindquarters to the right, away from the mare's onrushing blow - he is keen to avoid further damage to his left side, given the already painful situation around that shoulder. His hooves easily find purchase upon the hard, solid ground and he feels a blast of air as Aelfwine's hind feet whizz safely past.

"Too obvious," he growls. "With our positioning, it was evident what you were going to do. Try feinting - pretending to attack one area whilst attacking another. Also, you've missed a trick with my injured shoulder. My entire left side was at your mercy, you could easily have deepened the damage from your previous blow. Attacking old wounds might seem cruel, but it is an effective way to win. You need to exploit each and every one of your opponent's weaknesses." The titan's voice is firm and stern, but not crass or rude; he inserts a supportive undertone to his thick rumble, keen to encourage her and not frighten her. She's doing well, and she's new at this - mistakes are to be expected. He made a few howlers during his early days of fighting; it still brings a scowl to his face when he thinks of his spar with Ciceron, the only proper battle he's lost to date. His inability to even hit the dappled bastard still makes his blood boil, and he half-hopes that her miss will have galvanized Aelfwine in such a manner - he's dying to see some fire from her.

In the meantime, she's wheeled around and lunged her antlers again, but the Indomitable's hindquarters have continued to pivot around the anchor point of his planted forehooves which causes the attack to miss its mark. Keeping his injured left shoulder in one place lessens some of the pain, so he continues to swing his formidable haunches around until he's hopefully facing her own left shoulder in the aftermath of her failed antler attack. He lunges forwards again, still heavily favouring his injured leg; his run-up is short to minimise the amount of time he spends putting weight on the damaged area. This time he makes his movements a tad less obvious, to try and really challenge her into noticing the subtle flexing of his hard muscles and the faint shifting of each piece of anatomy.

The goliath seeks to slam his great chest into her left shoulder, trying to barge her over to her right and hopefully unbalance her. His jaws unfurl like a drawn sword, and he aims them for the injury on the mare's neck from his previous bite - he attempts to prove his previous point by nipping hard at the wounded area, trying to deepen the bruise and cause Aelfwine considerable pain. The primitive act of biting cannot be understated; the fact he is deeply attracted to this mare only adds to his desire to taste her dappled flesh, to dominate her and display his strength in the most basic way possible.

2/3 - 750 words

image credits

TEACHING NOTES

Grammar/Prose/Emotion This section is pretty defunct haha as I can't see any flaws in your writing. I love how you write Aelf and couldn't see anything to pick up on here. I really liked her concern about Vol and her misgivings about the fight, it was very realistic and well-written!

Attacks I like the way she used her hooves - they're really powerful so good to use! Your attacks were clear and easy to understand, but my one gripe is that despite her superior agility, I don't think Aelf would be able to attack with her hind hooves then spin round and attack with her antlers in one post. Be wary of overmoving - each battle post is only a couple of seconds long, and you need to give your opponent time to react.

I always prefer less attacks than more per post, and with all of them directed at a similar area of your foe. For example, you could use your chest to slam into someone and kick your foreleg out at their foreleg in one post, but slamming into them then turning around to kick with your back legs would be unrealistic. So if I was you I'd have just had her kick out with her hind legs maybe twice and leave it at that for this post to prevent deductions for overmoving :)

Damage taken I'll run through the basic way that the dice roll system works for you, but please slap me if you already know it xD

Character Name: Volterra
Attack Number: 1/3
Attack: 1d14 rolled for a total of: 9 + 1d2 rolled for a total of: 2 + 8
Damage: 1d6 rolled for a total of: 2 + 8

The italic part determines whether the attack hits. So, two dice are rolled - a fourteen sided one and a two sided one. These are then added to the character's attack stat (so 8 for Vol, 4 for Aelf). If that combined total is higher than the opposing character's defence stat (11 for Vol, 8.5 for Aelf) the attack hits. So in this round, the dice came out as a 9 and a 2. This, added to Vol's 8 attack, creates a total of 19 which is higher than 8.5, so the attack hit.

In Aelf's most recent attack, she rolled a 4 and a 2, which was then added to her attack stat of 4 to create a total of 10. This is less than Vol's defence of 11, so the attack missed.

If both dice roll a 1, then regardless of the attack or defence stat the attack is a critical miss, so the character hurts themselves. If both dice roll the maximum number (14 and 2), the attack is a critical hit, so the damage becomes 6 regardless of the actual roll.

Now, the underlined part of the formula is the damage roll. The amount of damage a character does is partly decided by their damage stat and partly decided by the dice roll for each attack post. To compare, Vol's damage stat is 8 whereas Aelf's is 6. That basically means that Vol's attacks hurt a bit more, so you should take a bit more damage from a Vol hit than I should take from an Aelf hit of the same roll. Think of it as being hit by a normal person compared to being hit by a bodybuilder! The dice roll determines how much damage you need to take - so a 6 roll is maximum damage, 1 roll is minimum damage.

2 is the damage dice roll, 8 is Vol's damage stat. When taking damage, you need to factor in both the dice roll, and your foe's damage stat. So if Vol rolled a 3, you should take a bit more damage than what I'd take if Aelf rolled a 3, because Vol's attacks hurt more. The dice roll and the attacking character's damage stat are added together, so 2 + 8 = 10, which is why Aelf lost 10 HP points.

Then, this is how I match each roll to what damage to take:

1: Very minor bruise/cut that won't impact movement
2: Reasonably minor bruise/cut that won't impact movement
3: Quite painful bruise/cut that won't impact movement/maybe a pulled muscle
4: Moderate bruise that restricts some movement/reasonably deep cut/badly pulled muscle/sprain
5: Severe bruise that restricts movement/muscle-deep cut/maybe a very minor bone fracture/serious sprain
6: Very severe bruise that will restrict movement/severe muscle-deep cut/broken or fractured bone

I'd then tweak this depending on my opponent's damage stat, so if a character with a damage of 3 rolled a 6, I probably wouldn't take broken bone damage. Also notice that you need to have battle wounds affect your character throughout the fight if relevant - the judge would dock points if, for example, you fractured your hind leg then reared up to attack. With Aelfwine's damage stat of 6 and her high roll of 5 in her first post, that's why I took a pretty serious cut to Vol's side and why I'm having him be affected by it throughout the fight.

So, for a 2 roll, you did pretty well taking the damage! Be careful though, as you mentioned his teeth drawing blood - horse teeth are blunt so would realistically cause a bruise rather than a cut. Given Vol's high damage stat, his attacks are pretty painful regardless of the roll, but I think you took about the right amount of damage for the roll :)

Hope this makes sense, let me know if you have any questions!

Other You did well mentioning their builds and using her agility, but as I say, even a high agility doesn't prevent possible deductions for overmoving so be wary <3 overall though you're doing great!

RE: if you go out you might pass out in a drain pipe [vol vs aelfwine] - Aelfwine - 03-12-2017

AELFWINE

She missed. Even though Volterra had praised her for evading his first attack, it meant little now that she didn’t even touch him. Before she missed, there would have been happiness and pride blossoming from her chest, reflecting in the smile that would grace her pink snipped lips at his approval. Now, as her hooves hit the ground, and she rounded back toward Volterra, a curse escaped as a hasty whisper from her lips. The Gladiator, then, began to correct her on her choices. Her eyes narrowed as she looked upon his thick ebony body, still favoring the shoulder she had punctured. She didn’t plan on their spar being so bloody and fierce, but that was the nature of the game it seemed. Aelfwine needed to get used to it, if she were to learn how to handle herself; and now that she had missed, frustration with herself began to overcome the cry of apology for hurting him that had previously flashed in her mind.

She refrained from moving her head too much as the alcohol continued to affect her. She didn’t want to move enough to feel the small bruising that was beginning to grow on her neck where Volterra had marked her for the time, nor did she want to experience the slight spin that burned the edges of her vision. Instead, she tried to focus on what he said to her. Her ears wavered forward and backward, swaying slightly while her narrowed eyes sought out any movements he might give away. ‘Of course.’ She thought to herself, replaying how she could have taken advantage of him recklessly throwing his left side at her. It didn’t last long, though, as Volterra began to charge at her. She swayed slightly in place, trying to see any sign of how he planned on attacking, but she failed as the spinning grew stronger.

As soon as Volterra began to collide with her left shoulder, she stumbled to her right so that he only clipped the left edge of her chest. The alcohol in her system caused her movements to feel slow as she spread her front and hind right legs out to try and catch her balance. Her breath left her lungs immediately with the force he had in his large frame as he collided, despite not getting the brunt of his force. He was quicker than she had expected this time, as she miscalculated how much he was getting used to fighting on his injury. Now, with the bruise growing in her shoulder, she’d have to learn how to fight back with her own injuries. Her neck wasn’t one that she paid too much attention to, not now that she had the swelling of her shoulder’s bruise radiating into her bones.

Immediately following Volterra’s attack, Aelfwine stumbled as she attempted to regain her balance. She noticed Volterra’s jaws aiming at her throat again, and snorted in frustration. “No.” She hissed, pushing her head lower to try and block the bite with her antlered head. She felt him pull a couple of hairs from her spotted neck as she pulled back from him, spinning away him as she stepped back, leaving a small amount of space between the two of them. She spun herself to the right, to where she would be perpendicular to the left side of his body immediately after he attempted to bite her neck. Aelfwine inhaled sharply through gritted teeth, as her left leg struck the ground as she moved from him, feeling the pain of the bruise begin to grow even stronger each time her leg touched the ground.

Her emerald eyes remained narrowed as she lowered her head even more, able to ignore the small amount of pain in her neck in favor for the sharper pain that bloomed from her shoulder. Then, she put all her weight on her hind legs, sinking into the slightly damp earth as she sprung out at him again. Her head remained lowered, and she aimed to strike her sharp, blood tipped antlers into the soft part of his barrel behind his injured shoulder. During her charge, she favored her left front leg through the pain. Even though she thought it might be easier for her to aim for his left shoulder, she couldn’t will herself to try and attack the same bleeding shoulder she had done previously, but she hoped this time her attack might actually hit.

"Talk."

--
Attack: 3/3 – Words: 739
Damage Tracker: A small scrape from Volterra’s bite on her neck. A deep bruise on her left shoulder, causing a slight limp.
Summary: Aelfwine tries to miss his collision, but Volterra still ends up clipping her shoulder. She avoids the bite he follows up with despite losing a few hairs in the process. Then, she spins herself slightly and charges at him with her antlers, aiming to hit him in the left side of his barrel behind his front left leg.
OOC: thank you for the tips <3 it helped a lot I think! :D I did struggle a bit on placement though, specifically where Volterra ended up after he tried to bite her so I hope it makes sense D:

image credits

@Volterra

RE: if you go out you might pass out in a drain pipe [vol vs aelfwine] - Volterra - 03-20-2017

V O L T E R R A

His colossal chest finds its target, albeit not quite the one he'd wanted, and the reverberations send shudders of pleasure through his titanic frame. There's something utterly carnal about fighting a mare, tangling his great body with her own, wrapping their skin and muscle around each other like two dragons in a mating dance. Perhaps it's the alcohol that still rampages through his system, or perhaps it's simply the fact that this beautiful woman sends frissons of heat down between his thighs, but he finds himself praying that this battle never ends, because it's so damn fun.

The behemoth tries to remind himself, though, that at the end of this fight might come something even better. If there's one thing he enjoys more than sparring a mare, it's taking that same mare beneath his weight, ravishing her body and replacing each cut and bruise with a bandage forged of pleasure.

His teeth come away with only hair, which is a slight disappointment given how keen he was to brand her with his mark. He's soon back on his guard, though, watching through narrowed eyes as she twirls again so she's facing his left side. Immediately he tenses, unwilling to expose his maimed left shoulder to her - he might be enjoying this battle, but he'll enjoy it considerably less if his already throbbing shoulder is gored further by her antlers. Instead she aims for just behind the wound, something that he knows he should scold as weakness but which he simply can't bring himself to, because it comes as a great relief that the painful gash isn't going to be savaged further. Volterra might be a warlord, a king of the battlefield who revels in every part of his craft including receiving wounds from his opponents, but that doesn't mean he is a glutton for pain. He feels his wounds the same as any other man, and he knows that another blow to his shoulder would have been crippling.

His gratitude for her act of mercy doesn't mean he's going to let her have it all her own way, though. With a feral grunt, the stallion throws his hindquarters to their right, seeking to pivot around so that the attack won't hit him with full force. Her antlers slash against the skin just behind his left shoulder, creating an array of small, medium-depth cuts that sting and bleed, but they are not unbearable and nor do they inhibit his movement like his first injury does. The leviathan continues his pivot, moving his hindquarters around the planted counterweight of his forelegs to minimise the movement of his shoulder, until he's hopefully facing her own left side again. "You're doing well," he growls, reassurance ringing in that thunderous voice of his. "Once more - try to avoid my attacks if you can." He launches forwards, trying to slam his massive chest into her left ribcage this time. He doesn't truly wish to break any of her bones, but he's not accustomed to pulling his punches at this stage of a battle. He hopes he can barge her over to her right and force her into submission, bring her to her knees before him so they can get on with whatever delightful treat is going to follow this spar.

Simultaneously his teeth lunge forwards once again, trying to rain bites down upon her left side and back like miniature bullets. He wants to plant bruises across her body, mark her as his, utterly dominate her, until the battle ends and he can kiss better every piece of damage he's caused her.

Tiredness pulses through his system and there's sweat liberally beaded across his titanic form, but he is not exhausted courtesy of the fact that he hasn't actually done a great deal of moving around. The constant sting in his shoulder is only barely numbed by alcohol and adrenaline, but he knows he can cope with it until the bitter end of this particular tangle. The distant hum of conversation from the depths of the Grove reminds him that he'll probably have to return to the fray to meet his next date, but he can't think about that right now - his attention is fully, unequivocally focused upon Aelfwine.

3/3 - 703 words

image credits

TEACHING NOTES

Grammar/Prose/Emotion Again, this section is pretty defunct haha. You should score highly in this, so great job! :D I spotted one typo ('spinning away him') but overall this was a really strong section for you. To me, this section is the easiest one to get points in simply by cutting out errors and making sure you proof-read, so it bodes well that your posts all flowed nicely and that I only spotted a handful of typos! :D

Attacks 'She spun herself to the right, to where she would be perpendicular to the left side of his body immediately after he attempted to bite her neck' - be careful to say 'attempted' even if you're only moving, just to prevent any deductions for GM/PP :)

The rest of the attack was clear and easy to understand, which is good. Using her antlers is always good as they're a pretty unique weapon!

Damage taken You did well taking the damage, however be sure to specify how bad the bruise is on her shoulder! There's a big difference between a faint bruise that you hardly notice compared to a huge, deep, painful bruise that seizes up your muscles and prevents you moving. It's mentioned in your OOC section that it's deep but make sure you include this in the actual body of your post.

If the bruise was deep, as you said in your OOC part, then I think you took enough damage for Vol's 3 roll, as that's about right for a medium roll plus his high damage stat. I got a bit confused over his bite, as first you say she's trying to block it with her antlers but then take it to her neck, and if the bruise from his first attack was only a faint one then I'd have been inclined to take some damage from the bite just to make it fit the 3 roll.

So always be specific with how much damage you've taken - don't just say 'a cut' say 'a deep cut' or 'a shallow cut' etc to allow the judge to see that you've taken the right amount of damage :) Describing your injuries also helps you remember to carry on mentioning them in the rest of your posts, especially if it's a high damage roll you're responding to.

Other Thanks for the great fight, you did really well! Your writing was strong throughout, it's just niggly things like attack and damage taking but they're easily worked on :)

RE: if you go out you might pass out in a drain pipe [vol vs aelfwine] - Aelfwine - 03-23-2017

AELFWINE

The dappled mare’s eyes shut tight as she aimed for Volterra. She mentally prepared herself for feeling the sharp tines of her blood stained antlers plunging into his soft flesh, but the Gladiator slipped away from the brunt of her damage. As she collided with him, her antlers raked against his side, creating a line that parted the fur of where her horns had been, while little beads of scarlet blood began to appear. She didn’t even see if he had flinched. Irritation roared in her head as she came to a stop, lifting her head up to try and spot Volterra’s next move. His words were what she heard first, complimenting her in her attempts to attack him. However, as she stilled, her shoulder began to pulse and swell from his previous attack while her adrenaline began to decline. Her nostrils flared as she lifted her left cloven hoof from the soft, mushy earth. Her brows knitted together briefly as she inhaled, wincing slightly from the pain as the alcohol wore off and she became more aware of her injuries.

She didn’t have time to think, though. As she attempted to look over at Volterra again, to show that she was listening to his instructions of how she could try and guess his attacks, the Gladiator collided with her side. She stumbled once again, further this time than his last collision. Her cloven hooves scrambled across the earth for any hope of stabilizing her. At the same time, her breath escaped her lungs with so much force, a whimper erupted from her throat from the pain. Not only was her shoulder painful to the touch, with its swollen, radiating ache, now her entire left side hurt to breathe. Her breath grew shallow as her head hovered above the earth, eyes shut tight, standing in the same spot from her stumble. Her chest heaved with a combination of pain and the need to breathe, sending sharp pains all throughout her body, tightening up her rib cage. “Are… We… Done?” She whimpered through clenched teeth. “Can… We?'be done?' She questioned, lifting her head a minuscule amount to try and keep the pain from hurting more. She couldn't say anything else, the pain of trying to use her voice was far too intense that Aelfwine felt it wasn't worth it. Her emerald gaze looked for Volterra’s own scarlet ones, wondering if the determination in their depths would be replaced with worry at the sight of her - bruised, nearly broken, and covered in blood that wasn't her own. Or would it stir a more primal desire deep within him?

"Talk."

--
Words: 438
Damage Tracker: A small scrape from Volterra’s bite on her neck. A deep bruise on her left shoulder, causing a slight limp. A deeper bruise to her left ribs causing pain while breathing/moving.
Summary: Angry that she missed a deeper wound, Aelfwine doesn’t listen to Volterra’s instructions and stops, trying to get used to the pain of the previous attacks until he rams into her. She stumbles and asks if they can be done.
OOC: Thanks for the fight Snow <333

image credits

RE: if you go out you might pass out in a drain pipe [vol vs aelfwine] - Blu - 04-01-2017

20 HP gap. Aelfwine defeated by Volterra. Volterra earns 1VP + .5 VP for teaching. Aelfwine earns 1 EXP.