HELOVIA || The Way to the Sun
[P] Don't rush, no pressure... - Printable Version

+- HELOVIA || The Way to the Sun (http://helovia.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (http://helovia.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (http://helovia.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: [P] Don't rush, no pressure... (/showthread.php?tid=27190)

Don't rush, no pressure... - Noah - 04-24-2017

The first week is but a blur in time, and in all honesty, Noah remembers little of it; time spent refuelling, recovering, finding his feet in the ‘wilderness’.

That one slips into another, the second, a sobering period of introspection, observation and tending to the wellbeing of his brittle dove. Though she and their combined education has been more than enough distraction, the young stallion begins to miss his home, the blazing sun’s warmth, and the taste of bitter brine upon the air; he dreams often of his family at night, the soldiers who (like him), were sent on their own ceremonial task - that who's success would inevitably define them.

An uneasy heart grows restless in the valley of the horned-ones, cramped, confined, and conscious of the echo of his mission as it once more falls loudly to the forefront of his mind; …only a warrior’s resolve can attain you the horn. The meaning is confronting, unmistakable he has come to realise, though he has toyed around for another, easier, many times over; it is a strange, ironical fate that has landed him in the very lap of the prize he seeks - ten fold. They, the prey, pass him by obliviously, blind to the anxious covet, nagging below the skin. He bides his time, for his soul is good, with a sound moral compass; so too has he learned that they are as though one, a unit, a body of strength far beyond the realms of his small-weighted experience. He feels as insignificant beside them as a solitary flea.

Still he watches.

Once or twice he sees the pale, creamy coat of the ‘prince’ pass by - the cocksure man whose physical, unnecessary assertions had left a more than bitter taste on Noah’s tongue. With no desire to mend the frayed stitching of that future, he sinks simply, back beneath the cover of his copse.

Another week begins, bringing with it a fresh tide of hope and reconciliation. The want to leave, to turn back home, is fading like the strength of the season; the heat behind both is softening, cooling, though only one   really serves to soothe his spirit. Turquoise pools dive into a vivid morning sky, blue with soft, scattered streamer clouds wafting slowly in the wind; it is filled with promise, and the stallion is brimming with anticipation. The event long awaited draws near and feathers bristle delightedly across tingling pores, as the chilly air combs through their assembly.

Outwards and upwards stretch each massive wing, beating down and flexing, warming the strapping, muscular mesh beneath; he inhales deeply, one gulp and then the next, filling ravenous lungs and freeing his mind. It has been too long since he last felt the liberty of altitude, and excitement makes him giddy. Without further delay (even before breakfast), he launches towards the stone crevice which Nora (still) calls home. “Nora!” he sings out brightly, loudly - should she be nestled amid princess dreams; prancing the final steps below a playfully snaking neck. Waves of flaccid blonde bounce and swing to the rhythm of his stride, both around his chiselled skull and long, roving legs; the clacking of blunt teeth ricochets off the stony wall before him.

Life was about to feel better…
Noah
I was born a warrior
I was born a warrior
Image | Coding

RE: Don't rush, no pressure... - Nora - 04-25-2017

Though its typically uncustomary for me to turn in early…I return to my sanctuary, my cave/ hole just after twilight. But those thick, granite walls have finally moved past the point of uncomfortably constraining…now, they flat out refuse me. No matter how I try to slither in, rear-first, front-first. It didn't matter. Sheathed wings and my swelling (over indulged) abdomen simply wouldn't squeeze past that narrow opening. The dark reality of my appearance in previous weeks had to have been appalling compared to now. Groggy (and genuinely frustrated,) I resentfully (without seeing any other choice) concede to sleep upon the threshold. Luckily, the night is relatively warm and the breeze is mild. Mini me arches her brow and gestures to the forest beyond my cliffside hovel…but our shrinking courage doesn’t rise to the challenge of seeking out other forms of shelter in the pitch black.

Besides, I reasoned to that braver part of myself, Noah would come here to find me…

In the morning…

A surge of uncommon thrill drags itself over my worn-out expression...memories cycle backwards, revisiting our conversation. It took considerable riddling and heaps of charades…but the effort is rewarded with an assumption that he wants us to leave; at dawn. Abandon the safety of our new habitat to explore the unguarded wilderness. Anxiety is quick to snag a foothold -  reawakening drowned fear until it gnawed at my intrigue and youthful sense of adventure.

Yet…despite the fear, there was a nagging guilt echoing the terms of my debt which had brought us together to begin with. How could I not agree to travel with a man who’d laid his life on the line? Our fates had become tethered (in whatever complicity) from the moment he’d chosen to stand before my demon and won. Though, my agreement (however shrinking) was worth the risk to witness that spark of laughter and delight waking and etching itself into every stunning corner.

My mulling, defiant mind sits awake; overwhelmed internally with anxious, slightly nauseous emotions for the coming day...I forget to dread properly on the nighttime chorus of shadows and cries. As the night drags on, my subconscious grows more irritable; eventually, she tosses out a disapproving look and slides to the ground, ‘worry wort, morning isn’t far off!’

Irises glance upward…but the sky doesn't appear any more lite than it was when I came home…
----

"Nora!"

The sudden cry of my name jerks me into awareness! Sealed eyelids fly apart to behold an encasement of pale shadows…dank, dusty smelling corridors on all visible sides. While my half-awake brain stumbles onto the scene and sorts the confusion. I pull my head backwards, craning sideways to find my guardsman…his marbled fur and ivory hair closing in from the edge. Bewilderment sheds itself for something warmer, something…wet. The pale side of my face feels…damp. A quick brush against my outstretched foreleg rubs away some of the dirt and assures me that it wasn’t blood.

There isn't time to mull over how I'd ended up with my head in the shallow den...nor why I'm laying on the ground.

Twisting urgently, I gracelessly pull myself from that gaping hole; harnessing all the dexterity of a wobbly filly. Once risen and settled (though swaying groggily)...these irises drift, sampling his lighthearted, alert expression... scanning his untiring appearance...his majesty. "Hi," sounding far more tender than intended, but only because the word is spoken on the whisper of an exhale.

Whoa... he's here and very much...awake.

A light shiver dances from snout to hoof -- feathers loosen, shaking the dust from their mist. Sounding far less shell shocked after a moment of sharp blinking, I utter on the next breath, "Bonjour monsieur," while those effects of dreariness fade, my resolves allows a meek smile to etch itself gently into the crease of either corner. We've been sharing language with each other for many weeks. His tongue (the simple notes) are becoming more familiar and advanced. My subconscious shrugs as only a figurative creature can, we both agreed that the more I heard and studied his tongue...the more of a preference arose.

RE: Don't rush, no pressure... - Noah - 05-01-2017

It seems ironic that the winged stallion is the happiest he has been since arriving in this valley of the horned-ones, now, right as he prepares to leave (even if he venture isn’t planned to be permanent). Aurora Basin, in every respect, is cold; the friendliest thus far met within the ominous mountain prison is the crimson fringed mare, Akumi – and she, effervescent, radiant, hails from borderlands still beyond here. There has been no trace of the Songbird (the breath of fresh air her presence represented), since the storm, and neither has Noah seen the likes of the silver horned one, Roland. Perhaps had any touched base through the last blur of weeks, the festering attitude towards them, their home, might have not have been so poor. As it stands, he feels as though Nora and himself, are out of place (and rather unwanted, given the state of initial relations); as dissimilar as their wings were from horns.

Perhaps there is a twinge of resentment forming for those insincere animals dwelling around him; he tries in earnest to be rational, and not tar all like them, with the same bitter brush.  

Still, on this day, nothing but perfect excitement reflects in his mood.

As those eager eyes settle their dance beneath a slowing veil of white to hone in upon the uninviting gap in the rock face, he finds (much to his surprise, only the full flavour of a curvy chocolate, vanilla rump, silken ribbons trailing along the dirt behind - she is quick to rise at his summons, however, from her hovel, and the scrabble of movement prompts him to avert his intrusively persistent gaze. Once or twice, the islander withholds the urge to swing forward, catch her - or prop, which ever need came about first, but his grubby-faced charge eventually made the turn around to meet him with a groggy expression.  

“Hey!” …he replies, lungs bursting forth the bright greeting that instantly swallowed the soft tender note of her own. From between the rounder feathers by his shoulder, careful teeth free her gift; a ritual offering for the dainty dove, which started in the beginning as grass to nourish her, but as the need grew less (along with the painfully sharp variations beneath her coat), he brought to her flowers instead. The one he drapes across the printed dust before her this time reminds him of home - the reef and its rainbow of interwoven colours. He admires it thoughtfully for a moment.

At the same time she offers those romantically poetic syllables that by now, he is used to - though only the establishment of morning from their midst, has been achieved - at least he hopes. For the sake of peace, lips curl into a gracious smile.

“You follow?” he asks a minute later, fidgeting, waiting for her to agree. Adrenaline lashes his sensibility, leading it astray, beckoning it into a wild battle of wills - it was not his ambition to startle her at all. Brilliant teal eyes invite her forward, away from the dingy mouth that lurked by her rear, and he shifts rearward to allow her breathing space; one of the first things learned was that the delicate princess preferred to control that bubble of space around her and often she slipped from its invisible line on her own accord (those moments fed his intrigue). His face turns after, lifts to view the blue dome, and the stallion rolls his muscular shoulders keenly.

Urgency begs hindquarters into action and fore hooves prance obligingly in front. He aims for the barren centre of the (wide) corridor - it was long enough to sustain a solid gallop - for lifting his weight was not so simple; she, undoubtedly, would rise like the fleet-footed wisp she was, and from a standstill (he fancied). Forward he marches, gathering speed quickly, revelling in the thundering beat of his upward-bound hooves. Vast wingspan opens, doubles, and feathers thud against the rushing air around him - it gathers beneath their magnificent length; ascending at last, he builds height slowly (it seems he has lost the condition which saw him initially arrive upon these shores). The stallion is not fashioned for swiftness, nor aerial agility - instead he turns a wide, motionless circle, gliding with perfect precision, searching for that updraft that will see him onto that famous old heavenly highway.

Exiting Basin

Noah
I was born a warrior
I was born a warrior
Image | Coding

RE: Don't rush, no pressure... - Nora - 05-03-2017

Bright, sharpening eyes scan the eagle. Anticipation builds, warming the soft, feminine details of my weary complexion. Nostrils flare and jaws salivate expectantly as he dips into that tawny, feathery sheath. For whatever reason, Noah always brought along something tasty. That internal pot produces condensation and gives me a little squeeze of impatience. When the stunning bouquet emerges, a soft sigh of appreciation rises on the backend of another rewarding beam. Wild flowers couldn’t often sprout amid mountains – but in these lower hills of the valley (if one knew where to look) they managed to flourish despite the plunge of temperature at night.  

Rare and beautiful.

Like his chivalry.

Moist jaws flex apart, prepped to address and consume his continual generosity. ”Je vous remercie,” distracted habit brought that polite response to my tongue; mini me scowls from her dark corner, rebuking and correcting…I frown just a little, but a word he’d recognize emerges half a beat later, “pretty.” Jowls reach greedily, boldly inspired to pass the distance between us. Crisp, vivid bursts of flavor awaken my dull (unsatisfied) hunger; I crunch easily through those stalks, heads. Consuming the dainty, marvelous, delicious little bonnets.

His flesh is lightening; crackling as it quivers and dances – irises flick over, arching with silent inquiry to the source of his agitation. As if cued to answer unspoken questions, he speaks and enticing that familiar, hot quickening beneath my breast. Background noise fades, I press a smile into view and push through the nervous jitterbugging that threatens to soften/waver the certainty in my tone, “Yes, follow.” Forefeet inch forward, hesitate but expressing a willing, eager heart.

Optics widen, astonished by the size of those powerful, zealous feathers when they rotate fully from their sheath. Mini me sighs and melts into the masculine contours of his massive body, wholly content to stare. It never dulled either of us to admire his boxy, rigid physic. The moment of peace, of admiration is cut short, my heart stutters and bats against fleshy ramparts as he rockets into action. Those thundering feet spread across the ground in a race that mimics my heartbeats. Inclining, I gape as he lifts into the air – ginormous feathers beating with savage purity. A muffled, sharp intake brings out my naïve, impressed wonder.  

The remains of his charity lay scattered about, forgotten.

These arms itch, tensing with the foresight of what is to come. The cool, morning air whisks around me – teasing my feathers as they rise and fall with gently swoops. Forelimbs quiver, nerves rising to the surface as my turn to follow comes into view. The cry of expectations accelerates as he lazily circles, waiting…watching. Heat spreads and a tight, anxious lump appears – lodging itself in the back of my mouth like a rock that I couldn’t swallow. My subconscious sits up, eyes trained urgently upward (still admiring the powerful creature above me,) “go on,” she urges firmly, impatiently even.

My ears slip in reverse, accented by the near silent whisk of my tail as it lashes anxiously against these slender, patchy pillars. Mini me softens, sensing my heightened uncertainty and unaddressed fear, “don’t be afraid,” she murmurs and gently tries to shoo those terrors which circle my innards like vultures over a dying animal.

Failing…falling…failing…I push those negative voices back into the murk they escaped from.

Chocolate splashed hindquarters push, carrying me into a trot – the wind picks up, dragging smooth fingers throughout. Forefeet quicken, arms pump downward with purpose and force. Hooves shred weed and kick up a spray of gravel. Wings pivot upward, dominating the space around me. Within seconds, I feel the air build; like a wildfire feeding from dry kindling, it grows into a fine, thrilling point! The haven vanishes. That dark, dusted rock dissolves into the backdrop. Anxiously, my stomach somersaults; I’m halfway in the sky and still trembling with excitement and meek triumph when at last I remember to tuck my adrenaline infused legs into the crook of my underbelly.  

-exiting basin-