HELOVIA || The Way to the Sun
You're no good, you don't cry like you should - Printable Version

+- HELOVIA || The Way to the Sun (http://helovia.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (http://helovia.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (http://helovia.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: You're no good, you don't cry like you should (/showthread.php?tid=6058)

You're no good, you don't cry like you should - Faelene - 03-02-2013

F A E L E N E
you don't cry like you should.

There was no more wondering. Faelene knew. The flutters, and shifts, stretching sides only meant one thing. There wasn't a shadow of a doubt what had happened, what would soon come to light. There were a new set of anxieties to torture her mind.

What now? Helovia had been her home for almost a whole year, but she had never sought mother hood. The idea of having a piece of herself, breathing, living was frightening. Faelene wasn't fretting over if she could do take on this new name. No, she had done it through the years as one without the connection of blood, and a part of her had wanted one to call her own. The real base of her fear was how a child could be hurt, damaged, and used against her. Even though she might appear to lack enemies she was all about seeing the darkness the light created.

Faelene could feel her breath fall from her lips, warming the tip of her cold nose. The dawn was close to making its presence while she stalked through the forest bidding her time. She knew she had to tell him, but she did not want an audience. A grim smile marred the rest of her composed face. There was countless other things she could add to the list of unwanted, but the innocent life wasn't a burden she would run from despite the weight she could feel beneath it. Faelene was hell bent on making sure this child had a life the best she could give.

Despite how wary she was, there was strength defined in her movement, in her silver eyes that swept through the shadows. They knew what they wanted something white whether it was a flash of Irma or the Frostheart himself. It seemed too good to hope she would find him without beckoning him. Yet drawing attention to the fact she wanted to speak to him was the last thing she wanted to have to do. She cursed herself under her breath. She shouldn't feel so out of place in her own skin, in the Basin, but she couldn't help it. By now anyone who looked at her might see those signs that something had been done, and she would not know how to answer, what to say till she had a conversation with the man involved. No matter what she told herself she wouldn't lose her handle on life over one night.

Picking her way among the moss, stones, and broken branches she meandered closer to the corner where she had found him. The red mane wouldn't go to the rocks, to the water, no, she clung to the shadows that would hold her. With things quiet, and her search empty, she leaned her rump against a welcoming thick tree and closed her eyes knowing this wasn't the better idea, but she was mentally and physically spent.

for Mauja

RE: You're no good, you don't cry like you should - Mauja - 03-16-2013

Night. It was always night, it seemed, a world bathed in silver with cold, deep and dark shadows. Stars twinkled far above, and Irma soared gently through the sky on quiet wings, watching the ground with her bleached-out eyes. Sleeping, awake, patrolling, she saw them all, her keen gaze drawn to their movements before sweeping on again. All seemed at peace, in order, and somewhere far below her Mauja raised his white head to peer out across the Basin, to open his lungs and drink in the familiar night air. Had this place become home, then? Had his heart and mind forgotten the scent of brine, the lullaby of wind through trees, the cold, damp touch of fog on his legs? Had he accepted fate? Slowly his ears rotated back, an expression of indefinite sadness upon his face before he heaved a sigh. He could contemplate that another day (or night) — life was long, and if he had any say in it, he'd walk the forested halls of the Edge as King again before he died.

Irma slipped on through the skies, her wings rustling silently in the gentle night breeze. Moonlight glowed upon her, transforming her into a ghost of sorts, and giving her bonded a slight nudge she angled down. Locking her white appendages in a glide the owl swept lower, peering upon the dark form of Faelene, hidden in shadows. To her predator's eye she seemed tired, lurking not in the splendor of silver light but within the dark. Frowning, Mauja swept his ears forward again, and started to pick his way down from the mountainside. Was something wrong, or was she just sleeping?

Was something wrong...

He couldn't fool himself any longer, not that it had ever been his intention to fool himself — but, her scent had altered, subtly, and he knew what it meant. He just.. hadn't had the time nor peace to seek her out, or wonder what it meant, for him. That wasn't why they had... done... that... Some part of him had been hoping her body would not be so receptive, that something born in late summer would have low chances and that it was not worth the risk — but he was wrong. He just didn't know what to think about it, and, guiltily, he pressed his ears to his neck and closed his eyes for a moment. He had promised Leyra, but, he didn't know if he could do it.. especially not after this.

This wasn't, really, how it was meant to be.

Letting out a quiet sigh Mauja flicked his white tail. It was just to deal with it, and make the best of it. Time slowly wore on as he moved, a restless ghost, through the sheltered Basin, his hooves leaving a trail of quickly melting frost wherever he went. It was a calm night, beautiful, and, perhaps, it was the right night for this conversation to be had.. whatever it would be. He felt that he had no right to have opinions on it, as he was to blame, and it was not his body, and in all honesty, part of him was worried about this, what it would mean, to Psyche, the herd, Snö — he knew quite well how possessive his first daughter was of him. Clenching his teeth he finally spotted her, not too far from the pool where it all had happened, and he eased into a graceful trot, but couldn't help but throw a few glances at the surroundings.

Irma reassured him that they were alone, and Mauja tried to exhale some of the tension. "Hey," he called, gently, his lustrous glow fading the moment he stepped into the shadow of the sparse trees. She seemed exhausted, and he was not sure of what his reception would be. Would she scream at him? Maybe. Slowly he extended his neck, pushing his soft muzzle close to hers in greeting, wondering what the future had in store for them.

HP3 - A Window to the Past

RE: You're no good, you don't cry like you should - Faelene - 03-18-2013

F A E L E N E

The blanket of stars never meant hours of rest for her. Faelene could pretend, she was good at that. Closed eyes, slow breaths, and relaxed muscles. Sleep wasn't hard to fake, but she rather not. A closed off world of lies warm or cold seemed more suitable, more pleasant than another night of thoughtful stumbling. The usual pattern was not satisfying. No matter how she tried to conserve or merely rest it was not enough. It was extremely irritating like an itch she couldn't touch. If she felt like this now, oh boy, she couldn't wait. She tried to concentrate on the sounds, the faint wind that brushed against the tree tops to think of a wordless whisper.

How long she was on the edge of sleep with reality holding on she didn't care to guess. She only knew she heard something, and decided she wasn't smart to keep her eyes shielded. Greeted by blackness at first her eyes adjusted quickly seeing the white glow of his spotted coat in the distance. Speak of the devil. There was no holding back the twitch of her lip that wanted to form into a smirk, but Faelene wouldn't let her mouth do more. Smirking didn't seem to be the right reaction she should have, and she kept a composed dark mask. The red maned could not help how silver irises could never hide the light sparked by interest. It was almost as if he known where to find her. Should it surprise her? Irma she was learning was a very clever girl, probably more aware than Faelene when it came to this place. Hard she might look for the owl, strain for her wing beats she could not detect where she was. Instead she was drawn by his luminance that made her wonder if he had stolen a piece of the moon. She was thinking this more than anything else when like a light it went out by the shadow's touch. Black ears tipped back by his simple greeting, unable to tell if it was meant as a safe step forward or he really did not have much to say. The edge about her eyes furrowed, was she that scary now? Pregnant mares were moody, but Faelene wasn't about to scream you bastard you did this too me. No, she had a bit of anger but it wasn't directed at him. It took two to tango as they say.

"Hello," she replied vaguely in return, accepting his muzzle as she always had. For a single second she thought this didn't have to be that awkward situation, she already felt calmer in his presence. It would seem being the "one with her hand caught in the cookie jar" she would have to take the lead. "I would say I'm sorry, but I'm not so please don't feel the need," and she slipped him a small smile that was both coy and bashful. Then she dragged in a long breath, trapping it in her lungs while she held back all the words that wanted to come out at once. The pause made it easier to find what she really wanted to ask, understand. Steadily she met his ice gaze she was drawn too. "I only want to know what you want. If this child has little of you would you claim them?" The lady was thoughtful in her expression, soft almost when peering at him trying to read his own white facade. Swiftly, she drew another breath. "I won't deny you to be their father, take that way, but I won't make you either." Faelene didn't know how he felt about this and it showed in the contours of her face,the light of her eyes how she was in need of his input; she wanted it. Mauja didn't seem the type to shrink from responsibility, but he had other children, and though it wasn't clear if he and Psyche were anything she hated to wreck that. Especially since she felt quite a bit of loyalty and respect for her Lady. A quiet laugh that might have been nervous, might have been sad or of humor she lowered her gaze, quietly uttering."I don't feel you owe me' just because of this.....I have no right to claim you or anything. I've always hated when someone felt inclined to believe you belonged to them."

RE: You're no good, you don't cry like you should - Mauja - 03-22-2013

If only things could be easy every once in a while.. but they never were, were they? Things would always be complicated one way or another, no matter the situation and the circumstance. Nothing in life was ever simple. Things did not fall into place just because he wanted them to, and he'd be a fool if he thought — hoped — that this would be any different. She was not angry, at least not unless his eyes deceived him, but that would, perhaps, be the only good thing. He would not find peace, and he knew it. If he acknowledged it at is, what would happen to his relation to Psyche? And to Snö, the daughter he'd only recently reclaimed from a frosty distance not yet thawed? And if he didn't, would he be able to stand by the sidelines and watch Faelene raise it, and pretend his blue blood didn't run in its veins? What if it looked like him? Tamlin had, after all, been his beyond a doubt. What if Faelene didn't want him to have anything to do with the child, but it would be impossible to look at it and say "oh yea, that's not Mauja's"? He blinked in the darkness, breathing in the scent of her breath as she returned his greeting, dark muzzles touching in the shadows. She seemed to sense his hesitation, his uncertainty, for it was she who spoke next, and he felt his heart constrict for a moment. Perhaps this.. mess wasn't what either of them had planned, but if she did not outright regret it... He lowered his head a fraction, black-rimmed ears falling back in a display of relief as his eyes half closed. No apologizes, then, and somehow his breathing came easier knowing that she'd come to terms with what had happened.

After a moment he raised his head again and opened his eyes, knowing that it was the hardest part to settle that was coming. Still, he would not flinch away. He would not look aside, like a liar. Steadily he met her gaze, the blue of his seeming almost white in the darkness. Veils and shields headed off their depth, but that which lay close to the surface was sincere, even if it was mildly troubled. "I only want to know what you want." He felt something in his gut clench, another foolish hope laid to waste in his mind. How much easier wouldn't it have been to just do what she wanted him to do? To not make the choice himself? Could he even choose? Curse his heart, but in silence he listened as she went on, feeling the rock tied to his feet drag him deeper under the waves. Why did she have to be so rational and considerate? Why did she have to leave every door open? He said nothing, but did not look away either until she gave a quiet laugh and dropped her gaze. It startled him back into the present from his thoughtless, miserable reverie, and a small, humorless smile flitted across his face. "We belong only to ourselves," he agreed quietly, suddenly wondering if she'd seen that night as something more — as something not merely physical. Had she? In a sense, he had decided that they were friends, that he had no choice but to trust her, that she'd proved her loyalty and worth in the Edge battle and in the hardships since then.. that what they had shared had been a thing between adult friends, and nothing more.

Did it send a flutter, a spark, into her heart when she looked upon him? The notion almost frightened him, and for a long moment he remained silent, just looking at her. Did she.. no.. what.. surely not. She didn't seem the type to fall in love, and least of all with a creature of ice.. but then again, that night, he had been made of warmth, of flesh, like any other living man. He breathed in, deeply. Better hope that was not the case. It would be easier if such foolish things not got dragged into this along with everything else.

"I'd kind of been hoping you would've told me what to do," he finally said after a moment, a crooked sort of smile creeping onto his face. It was a confession, and a slightly embarrassing one despite its truth. It would've been a lot easier if he hadn't been given a choice what to do, as he hadn't given it much thought. Or, well, he had tried to think about it but just freaked out each time he did. "Because.. I am torn." He'd been prepared to say a million things, a million lies, but in the end, it was the naked truth that spilled from his lips and he looked away, into the darkness. He blinked, wishing he wasn't so pathetic about it. But.. he'd found some sort of common ground with Psyche, an amiable working relationship, and he'd be loath to sacrifice it, but was a child not reason enough to stand by the truth? And if not, then what was? And Snö — couldn't he just tell her to suck it up? But in all honesty, the thought of having to treat his eldest daughter that way made his heart constrict, and he closed his eyes. Perhaps, if he wasn't able to deal with the consequences, he should just not commit to things which could backfire. A small sigh left his mouth and his head drooped slightly, and into the darkness he spoke again. "So I must ask you the same thing.. what would you want me to do?" It was, after all, her child too.

RE: You're no good, you don't cry like you should - Faelene - 03-26-2013

F A E L E N E

Regrets? She saw no point in going down that road because it wouldn't change anything. That could lead to resent, in the case of her foal she wanted to avoid that at all costs. The question was what did he want? He was quiet in the dark, but didn't disagree with what she said. There was only a little indication he heard her, the twist of ears, the dip of his head. This weighed on him more because of others, she wasn't clueless. The red maned had thought he might have thought of it sooner rather than later. With the possibility of his dominant genes meant they may not have a secret to keep, and Faelene didn't know if that would ruin her own life she had built here or not...if her Lady would curse her for what happened. If she did that meant things did run deep, but there was no one else to make her feel guilty.

His stare might as well been blank, it seemed he was miles away, and she sealed her lips in a thin line. She could tell she shouldn't have bothered, she shouldn't have spoken. She should have continued as if nothing had happened. That's the clear cut expression she got. So easier to do. No, her heart didn't want him, but she never spoke its language to ask. She had only wanted a little moral support, but didn't think she would find it here. Instead Faelene found herself wanting Tolio, wishing she had rather talked to him now because who else did she have but him? She didn't even know where he was, if he had straightened out his own mishap,if he would be staying here. She had to get his white painted face out of her head, it was better to do this emotionless. Mentally she shoved it in the dark, shifting her weight while listening to his few words.

Of coarse you did, she answered in the confines of her head, checking to make sure her teeth were clamped together. He was just being honest, she tried to tell herself. It seemed a little harsh she had to play grownup, picking for him too. The Theif was quiet, still as dark stone when he gave his short explanation, when he asked his own question. He wanted the easy way out, maybe she would give it to him.

"Nothing," she said indifferent, holding back the bite that tempted to cut in her cords. She fell back into herself, finding it easy to put her mask on. It was comfortable, fitting in smooth, cold lines. "I don't care," she quietly stated, because he didn't. Faelene didn't want his company, and hated herself for accepting it. Thinking she needed to talk to him, funny.

"I just wanted you to know I'm keeping it, and I don't count on you being anything. I only thought it would be cruel of me if I took them away like the rest, if I disappeared....I can see I may have to in the end if my own loyalty is questioned, if I can't stand the stupid murmurs of whore and bitch..." She took a deep breath, and shook her head, heaving a tired sigh. The control on her resolve was slipping, and silently she cursed herself. Did she always have to lose her temper with stallions? Fighting with Mauja was not on her agenda. Adorning a dark, twisted smile she began stepping away from him having only one thing left to say. " Don't fret, you won't have to worry about seeing my face again, " she gave a mocking bow, then felt the magic that lingered in her core. Thank the gods she could disappear into thin air, at least to his eyes because that's exactly what she did. Faelene couldn't move fast enough, fueled by anger and pain while trying to work her shield to block any attempts to reach her. She half doubted he would move, didn't he have what he wanted?

RE: You're no good, you don't cry like you should - Mauja - 03-26-2013

Weakness. It had been the wrong thing to admit to, to admit that he was mortal, that he did not know, that his respect for her — and his uncertainty — was allowed to take hold. Weakness, to not know what course he wanted to set, to ask her what the tempest wanted, where the storm fled, without trying to steer it. Rooted up, snatched away, and he felt himself crumble as the night air grew frostier. Silver-black eyes grew distant, her voice a cold lash against his strained soul: nothing. He could feel her slip away, move away, even if her hooves remained rooted to the ground; slip away, and push him away, and he rocked back half a step. She had seemed so ready to speak, to have a dialogue, to settle this, yet now her voice was the frosted bite of someone scorned, or disappointed, or, or.. his mind find nothing to liken it to, and with pain in his blue gaze he felt the door close and the lights go out. Her voice didn't rise, but it was final, in a way, and part of him wished to spiral into the trap and disappear, to take that easy route out and just wallow alone in his misery instead of try to make a stand and salvage what he could.

He had always cared. Even if he hadn't meant it, he had cared — had trusted her, by showing his soul, his bones, his colors, the man behind the mask. He had trusted her, and it felt like she had trusted him, too, and he had cared.. he'd just not been smart enough. He'd been too stupid to break it off, but he kept caring, but she was slipping through his grasp and out into the cold night, and he wasn't sure if she wanted him to follow.

Whore.. bitch.

Oh, he could well hear Snö's contemptuous voice, the scorn in it if she knew it was her father, Mauja, who had sired yet another child.. he could imagine her cold ire, the possessive jealousy, the haughty dismissal, and how the schemes would unfold in her mind. Snö was, in so many ways, her parents' daughter, whether she wanted to, or saw it, or not. "If anyone is the whore, it is I," he said with bitter regret even as she moved away a step, not knowing if she would understand it for what it was, or if she'd only see it as an attempt to garner pity — but it wasn't, it was the truth, and her words left him cold, and alone, as if it wasn't she who had disappeared into the night and left him behind, but the other way around. "No, Faelene, wait!" he called, even as her figure flickered out of life. Frosted hooves shuffled over the ground, his eyes straining in the darkness but seeing nothing, and he didn't have the heart to scatter ice just to pinpoint her location. Was she even here still, or was she running away? Did it mute sound, too? Tentatively he reached out, but found only air.

"Don't go," he called into the darkness, his gaze roving the trees frantically as he spun in a circle, wondering if she'd cast a shadow in the moonlight, or if she was well and truly gone. "I just — I just feel like what you want matters more than what I want.. I just..." Talking to the shadows, talking to a dream; his head was raised gracelessly, the long tendrils of his white mane falling like wisps against his neck. Black-rimmed ears fell back in defeat, sorrow lining his eyes as he swept the place where she had stood once more. Gone was the regal monarch, gone was the honest man, left was the broken, the confused, the slightly boyish look upon his face that only a few brought out in him. "I never wanted you to leave," he whispered to the darkness, knowing that if she wanted to elude him, she could, and he was chanceless.

RE: You're no good, you don't cry like you should - Faelene - 03-27-2013

F A E L E N E

Faelene did not know what her own exceptions were exactly, but not this. How miserably she failed to think it wouldn't matter. Pathetically, she had believed he would have said one way or another. Why even talk to her if he didn't know? She was damn sure she didn't act like royalty, giving orders, demanding what she wanted. Did she give the impression she had wanted something but his choice? If she could of growled she would have, but vocals wouldn't work that way. The red maned didn't care what he saw she wasn't really looking at him. Disappointment did not cover what she felt, but she doubted she would be rid of the bitter taste it left in her mouth. Maybe, what she felt wasn't all the Frostheart's fault, but it didn't help. Nothing helped when it felt like you against the world, and soon the battle would be greater. This was exactly why she hadn't offspring.

Dark ears hidden in the threads of her red hair surprised he heard anything she said. "Right," she grumbled, feeling it made no difference. Snö wouldn't be the only one she was sure with the same regards and stallions didn't get called that even if it was true. Faelene was quite aware what having a child without a mate meant for her, and she could deal with it. What she couldn't handle was the lack of conviction the other involved had. She could have handled a "I don't want anything to do with it." or "I'll see when they get here." Something! If she had thought him a reckless boy who had caved in and was now lost she would have stayed far,far away.

Appearing as nothing but the scenery she tried to control her breath, tried to slowly pick her way back to the cave where her armor was tucked away. It didn't matter when he yelled, but Faelene's steps slurred, wondering if she should expect Irma to help him. Silver eyes searched with her ears, but she didn't think the snowy owl was out to get her either. Faelene could better understand why others had companions though They must fill some of the empty crevices in a heart, give you someone to talk too, someone who understood. The thought of anyone having to share her thoughts, and her promise not to ask the Gods for anything else made her dismiss that want. Wanting was what got her in trouble. The words she recalled were not her own, her masters had told them all that often. "Do not want, to want is to die." She could see why many would keep living in peaceful slavery just to avoid making their own decisions, taking a risk.

His choice of words caught her attention, forcing her to a halt. He couldn't see her any better, but confused she spoke. "What I want?" The question hung in the air, because he seemed to have missed that part and she didn't feel any need to repeat herself. She had beaten her head against one stone wall, and knew better. Faelene didn't want to dig deep, or play the game of hostage with his feelings, with guilt. She wanted to be done with it all, take the next step in her life, let him do the same. "I wanted...help." How lame it sounded, heavy and yet so empty, but she couldn't even reach the right words. Anything hiding was from a golden painted stallion, not a white one with spots. Did she give off something more? "My mistake," quietly she added, because now she was the Thief rather than Faelene. The dark skinned mare who was cool, with empty voids in her black mask, hanging in the background practicing her lines to be someone else who knew better to feel and trust. The silence she let grip her with the chill of the shorter days that soon be coming. She didn't want to go down the road they had been avoiding (what had passed) but, it still bothered her how out of reality it was and yet the proof of it. "I was merely in the wrong place at the wrong time, wasn't I?" She voiced faintly with a curious ring, knowing her words were a lot weaker than she wanted them to be. Closer to her original spot she still hung back, out of reach, out of sight, except a wisp of silver that came and went for her breath. That night she had added up to be the cause of unspoken pain and loneliness not a long term fix.

RE: You're no good, you don't cry like you should - Mauja - 03-31-2013

he's such a failure waaaah... >_>;

It seemed that she lingered, unable to truly cut the conversation off; she could've just moved away, not listened to his words, his feeble explanations of confusion.. was it weakness, or strength, or..? Why did she linger, her voice coming out of a body he could not see, eyes he could not read; did she want him to say something that made sense, something that wasn't just tangled up in anxiety and uncertainty? He could feel his breath rise into the night, something hollow in his chest, yet it felt like snakes were nesting in his belly — how could he have messed this up, made it all go so wrong? What had he even wanted? He'd spent the days trying to not get attached to whatever grew within her, had spent so much time trying not to know what he wanted, for fear that she'd tell him to stay away, or that she'd be angry.. he'd never truly explored his options, because he did not want to hope, only to have it dashed. But, everything had shattered anyway, like glass dropped on cold rocks, and if he looked, would he see the possibilities wink out one by one in the fragments?

He didn't even bother looking for her, did not seek to pinpoint her body; she'd gone invisible for a reason, and he felt like he could respect that at least, even as her cool voice cut into his ears. Briefly, he even closed his eyes, imagining the silver flecks in hers turning cold. She wanted help. But what help could he possibly give, except ask her what she had wanted him to do? Wouldn't doing that be helping her the most? His jaws tensed, but he did not speak, did not move until she spoke up again; his eyes flew open, and for a moment he cast around, looking for her. "No!" he said, somewhat horrified, to the bodiless darkness. But at the same time, he couldn't help but wonder — had she? Or was it the play of light and shadows, the tug of mischief and the quiet laughter, the cold and the warmth..? What had he even wanted, on that night? What had it been, except an exploration of touch, of giving and taking? Again, he closed his eyes for a moment. It was true, that he would rather it had been just an act, no consequences, but — he should've thought of that, then, and not lived on false hope and regrets later.

"Look, Faelene.. No matter what, no matter how, I will love this child — there is no other way." His eyes had opened again, and he blinked in the shadows. Tamlin's conception, and upbringing, had been, if possible, worse than this, with Lotus whispering little croons and songs in his ears and filling it with foolish ideas of princes and power. He had been conceived by ambition and magic. "I know that... There is nothing, nothing, which can make me regret a child. It's just.. not a possibility. It's a concept which doesn't exist in me." Was she still listening, still there, even? He'd never spoken about his love for his children before, and wondered if it even mattered. "Not even the dread of what Lotus would try to raise Tamlin into stopped me from loving him from the moment I saw him.." His ears fell back. And then I lost him. Was it a recurring theme, his family abandoning him? Was it something within him, that drove others away? Like it had just now?

"I'm starting to think I am a truly horrible creature, for managing to always drive my family away at one point or another," he murmured, mostly to himself, feeling the cracks in his heart widen.

RE: You're no good, you don't cry like you should - Faelene - 04-10-2013

*strokes Mauja*

F A E L E N E

It would bother her not to have this settled, and his attempts told her he must have wanted the same. Did they really want to see each other again and wear fickle faces that could break? Did they want strange questions, assumptions? Didn't he want to be able to look at the foal knowing what they meant to him or what it didn't? She didn't want wishy washy answers. That was probably what had the streams of her blood tempting to boil. Had he thought at all? Should she treat him as a thoughtless donor? This was what she told herself, she didn't need to have any more reasons to linger.

The shout of his voice mad her ears twitch, slightly startled by the sound, by the word itself. Was he about to chew her out? Faelene braced for it, a curse upon her, a feral snarl, a cussing of what she had done. It was quiet, a loud silence she wasn't sure she liked coaxing against her ears she had to remind herself to breathe. The ticking off of time without sound seemed to help her emotions melt away, and she gained the control she needed. Her lips were sealed, waiting for him to say something that might prove she wasn't wasting her time, wasting air and thoughts on him. There was no need to be any more nonsensical like that night. Never again.

There was no click of her tongue, twitch of her tail, or even hint of a blink when he confessed what he had been holding back without knowing. The red maned took her own time to pause, to exist while mulling over what he had said. She did not understand why that had been hard to say, why it couldn't have been spoken in the first place. Was that kind of love hard to admit? The question toyed with her mind, made her brows furrow, but her silver eyes watched him closely wondering what tormented him so. There was a strong will to stay where she stood, forbidding herself to do any more. When his deep tone began again Faelene didn't find herself wondering, but merely listening, focusing to what he was trying to tell her. Then she felt a little better feeling she hadn't second guessed him, but she couldn't escape what he was saying all together. How there was broken things that wouldn't mend that were not her doing. Mauja she did not think drove his family away, or squeezed them to tightly. He had no control over anyone's actions, but his own. Did being a parent make that reality hard to see?

For once she didn't want to be holding more questions without answers, but she no longer felt the want to leave him. Maybe, that had been the trigger and did she really want to add to the lines of his face?

Slowly, at first she merely stepped closer, and then quietly pressed her nose to his as he had done. How Faelene played the part of the comforter could at times baffle her, but in a sense playing that part soothed her own soul, gave it means to repair itself.

"Though I may not be sorry for the act, I am sorry for the grief. I just didn't want to wreck more havoc by staying. But you? Drive them away? I don't believe that." Once more appeared the dark lady with the crimson hair, giving him a hardened look by the shake of her head."It wouldn't surprise me if your boy went looking for you, and Sno? I can only imagine what she thinks she has to live up too. The rest I do not know..." Silver eyes did soften, momentarily meeting bright blue if he should allow. Swiftly her gaze found the imperfect lines of a tree, and the tension,anxiety was no more. Her voice was a thoughtful murmur."I always thought family was a strong bond, knowing what a parent will do for a child. But the heart is hard to translate. I stay here because I feel ties to those like me. Sister, brother by are blood split and the weapons carried on our brows. Don't we all have to find are own path, what's right for us?" The only parents here were those with very young offspring.

RE: You're no good, you don't cry like you should - Mauja - 04-18-2013

<3 sorry for the wait.

Was she still there? Still listening, to his jumbled explanation? Or was he only talking to the darkness? Bitter murmurs faded to silence, and in the shadows, there was nothing to respond to him. Perhaps she had finally had enough of his shifting thoughts, and slipped away before he found the verbal ropes to bind her with. Perhaps she wanted to slip away, to drive it home that he'd handled this tactlessly. Swallowing the rising tide of emotions he fought the urge to look for her, and the telltale puff of her breath. It would be so comforting — so damning — to know she was still there, that he wasn't just talking to the quiet trees, but if he looked and didn't find her.. the thought of it threatened to swallow his mind whole.

Then suddenly the ground shifted. He hadn't realized how he'd been straining for a sound, but now that he heard how the grass whispered as her hooves touched it he realized how he'd held his breath, just waiting for some sign of life. Feeling each pound of his heart reverberate through his body he waited, listened as she came closer, and then he felt her. The cold air grew slightly warmer, and then her soft muzzle pushed against his. He hadn't expected a touch; his head jerked up a fraction, one ear flickering, then he snorted quietly and sought for her again, closing his eyes as her voice washed over him. The grief. A humorless smile tugged at his lips. He caused it all by himself, with his mind spinning out of control, and he fought down the urge to, bitterly, ask why they all left him if he didn't drive them away. The thing they all had in common was their relation to him.

Her red mane shifted against his face, and his eyes fluttered open, then widened. She had returned. No longer was it just his mind filling in the contour of her body, but she was there, a clear, defined line between the edge of her back and the shadows beyond. For a moment he sought her gaze, but then she spoke of Tamlin and he winced. Ears falling back he averted his eyes, imagining the colt alone, somewhere out in the world — searching for his stupid father who walked into a time-portal and got lost. Never mind that it hadn't been his choice, but Tamlin was young and horribly naive in many ways.. what if he died out there? Somehow, he thought that Faelene would not find his self-blaming flattering, and he kept his mouth shut, listening, hoping that wherever the blood-prince boy of his was he was alive, and warm, and well.

"It is a strong bond," he admitted quietly. "Call me a fool, but I was worried you'd be angry with me, and want me to have nothing to do with the-" He paused, frowned, and corrected himself. "-our child, and.. if you would've.. it would've been easier if I steeled myself for it," he finished lamely, before giving his snowy shoulders and head a quick shake. He turned his head back around, to her, and then glanced down the length of her body, trying to see the contour of her barrel. Suddenly, he found himself deathly curious of what lurked in her womb. It was not the excitement he'd felt about Snö, nor the quiet anxiety of Lotus giving birth to some demon spawn (fortunately, she hadn't), but just simple, intense curiosity.

RE: You're no good, you don't cry like you should - Faelene - 05-04-2013

<3 slow posting buddies forever. any way i hope this reads ok for being a late post that did not want to come. >.>

F A E L E N E

The torture hadn't meant to be her intent, but at this point she wasn't thinking if he was uncomfortable, if he was bothered by appearing alone. She didn't need to care, take a deep look and ask. This point it felt like a waste of energy. Stallions at times made her want to switch teams, seeing as the more logical females she had met as of late. It was hard not to pick up the tension, and hint of voiceless questions. It was harder to ignore such atmosphere, despite how good she could grow numb, tune it out. No,she couldn't flat ignore him, leave. There was a part of her that said to do so, just because she always seemed to hang back, continue to try as if it was of most importance. Mentally, she told herself, one slip of tongue and she would carry on pretending her future had nothing to do with a spotted horse.

Silver eyes focused on his white face, holding back a grimace when he flinched. Luckily, this time he did not hit himself upon rocks, but collected realizing, seeing where she was. He should clearly see there was no malicious or bared teeth. Merely a quiet face wanting to figure him out, but not knowing where to start. Faelene did not really have the silent answers he sought. She hadn't been witness to every moment to be sure if it was something he had done, or a mixture of things. Since he was quiet she did not say more, she let her words fall where they may for the sad attempt they were. When it came to what must make him toss and turn at night she must have nothing compared to his woes. Honestly, she wished he would see things with more silver than black linings. A cynic herself how could she tell him to be more positive? The vibe he had, it was hard not to feel it tugging at her. How anxious was he for his children? When words came pouring from his mouth it made sense. He had not wanted attachment if she would give him nothing. She could understand that a lot better than what had been like fog confounding her already tired mind. A long quiet breath, she slowly blinked trying not to focus in the bright hues of his irises. "Ah," the barely accountable sound left her lips.

Faelene repeated his sentences over, again not trusting herself to reply.
She could do angry, but she had not been at him till just now. It made her feel she had warped expections in general, but she pressed that observation back. What did she say? This wasn't much of a conversation, and she could tell he was looking her over. Maybe, by that subtle look she believed he had after all had made up his own mind, and she could go with her gut to trust him. "I guess I would have done the same thing," she breathed. This had not been an intended outcome, and perhaps other females would have blamed him. She didn't know, and hated to assume about the others. The only thing she was anxious about now was Psyche, but was it her place to ask if she should be worried? Or would he mention it if it was? Was it normal for her head to hurt now? Aware of drained energy she had a faint, but worn smile. "Care if we call it a day?" The Thief took a moment to step back from his tall figure, stopping just to add, Unless there was something else?"

RE: You're no good, you don't cry like you should - Mauja - 05-04-2013

<3

And so, it seemed that whatever had bothered them, and pulled them apart, faded. While he let the words pour out, to explain himself, she stayed put, listening; he appreciated it. It would've been so easy for her to just disappear again and run away, away from his explanations and reasoning, but she didn't. She stayed near him, and he thought that she was listening, for even as his voice grew silent she did not speak, merely looked thoughtful. Mauja's ears fell back slightly. While it had felt good to get these words out, and off his chest, he was still anxious, worried — not just of losing the chance of truly knowing one of his own brood, but worried of driving Faelene away, too.. ruining what they had, whatever it was, that sliver of friendship. As one who wore masks so often he knew how much it took to let the mask slip, and now that he had begun to catch glimpses of others around him, and their true selves, he was loath to lose it.. because he knew what lay beneath.

"Ah," she finally said, and he felt himself relax even more, exhaling deeply. It sounded like.. like she'd understood, processed it, and come to realize that he was neither cruel nor indifferent. What would happen in the future was still unknown, though, but knowing that she, in some way, understood would make it easier to make it through the days. A small, hesitant smile unfolded on his face; it almost faded when she said she might've done the same thing, but then grew stronger as she gave him a faint one in return. It felt better, like healing, even if they had a ways to go still.

She seemed tired, though, drawing away with an open query. "Wouldn't we'd call it a night?" he said with a brief grin, motioning to the dark shadows all around them. Much as he wanted to tell her to go and catch some rest, he found himself frowning, searching for his voice and the words. "Just.. one more. Psyche. Know that I have every intention of being in the child's, and.. your, life, I think it is best I talk to Psyche before I'm, err, seen with you. I think she'd take it worse if she found out by rumor — and if she gets angry, she can take it out on me when I tell her." He gave a small shrug, trying to gauge her reaction.. afraid she'd think him a coward, but at the same time, having Psyche on their side — or at least not spitting mad about it — would make things a lot easier.

RE: You're no good, you don't cry like you should - Faelene - 05-20-2013

F A E L E N E

In his blue eyes she thought there was still a worry, but she didn't want to question it or help put it to rest. She had done enough already the small child, protected by her body reminded her. She instead thought he must still be thinking about what would happen, if she would turn on him. Forced trust? Those were for those split second things where life or death mattered not one night stands. Time, it would just take a little more of it to be sure she hoped. Maybe, he would see she really wasn't so fickle, so shallow. After all there had been a few times she could have really switched sides, but this was her home now, and through his absent she had put her faith in Psyche, in the realm of Unicorns.

Despite how she was urged to say the words things would turn out she still did not speak them. She held onto them for herself, and felt the tightness slowly seem to loosen its grip. One day, one night at a time.

"Wouldn't we'd call it a night?" Oh, had she really said day? This made her head perk up, a smothered laugh play in her throat. "Yes, that would make more sense." A yawn half sigh attempted to escape her throat, but she smothered it. There was something else. Though the pause was nothing great it felt like it, the frown foreboding of what might made anxious lines across his white facade. Psyche. So it was something to be concerned about, and she could think of no way she would explain it to her Lady. Especially after all they had been through, she did not want this to be a smack to her leader's face. If only she had known this sooner, or had any piece of sound mind to turn the other way that night. His voice, and a stronger piece of herself stopped that inner dialogue. He was willing to do the hard part, and even take the force of any ill feelings. It felt wrong, as if she was hiding from her own choice of actions. While Faelene would do everything to make sure the child didn't suffer for her miscalculation she wouldn't shy from punishment herself. Mauja of coarse would disagree, and she didn't want to stammer the mixed thoughts in her head. Drawing a breath, she lowered her eyes to the dark ground, staring at the spot by his frosted hooves. "Well, I would appreciate that. I think the two of us just started to understand and trust each other and I don't want to see that all go to hell.." Faelene knew that her face went hard, and when she spoke again a deep note crept in her voice, "But...if she is angry..if I can do something to make this right I will." Silver eyes lifted in an almost defiant way to the ice irises, letting him know she would be stubborn in keeping whatever honor she had left. If she could take hurt, and leave the child unscathed all the better and she wouldn't deny him the same right.

RE: You're no good, you don't cry like you should - Mauja - 05-21-2013

d'Artagnan would say his weakness was mares, something he'd obviously proven yet again, but Mauja himself would say it was his paranoia, the way his thoughts always churned, rolling down dark alleys and into the most dramatic, and depressing, corners. For as long as he could remember it had always been there, that vein of fear, the constant, niggling worry, a skip of his heart as he interpreted yet another thing in the worst possible way.. the strangling guilt of doubting his friends, those who had stood by him for so long. Trust did not come easily to him, and despite the antics of that day a few weeks ago he still carried the echo of the feeling with him.. a sense of safety in the Doctor's company even as he walked willingly into his lair, blindly ate what was offered while knowing a bite of the wrong thing could stop his heart in a minute. That faith, unquestioned, was either madness or something built by years — an welcome with open arms even as he came home tattered and broken. Only time would teach him that Faelene would not leave. In the past he used to think that only upon their death could he know if they would ever leave him, but recently he'd begun to think that maybe he should let himself pass judgment sooner.

It was, after all, hard to say look, I think you might've been one of my closest allies to someone when they were already dead. The corners of his eyes wrinkled with a faint smile at the sound of her amusement, but it faded as he had to turn the talk to Psyche. Again, she seemed thoughtful, and he appreciated it. She wasn't someone with air between her ears, nor had she closed her mind off and decided for him who he was and what he did — no, she had listened to him, picked apart his thoughts to find her own truth in them. As her gaze dropped his ears fell back hesitantly; had he misstepped again? Would such a caution lower her faith in him..? Was it wrong of him? But, no — he had assured her, hadn't he? Just that it would be easier with Psyche on their side?

"Well, I would appreciate that. I think the two of us just started to understand and trust each other and I don't want to see that all go to hell.."

Perhaps there was another black mare in this Basin whom he'd been wrong about, too.. a carnivore, a jackal, her heart cold as ice and black with frostbite — or was it? Mauja remained silent, remembering the slide as a mask fell off her face when he'd just come back, the way her amber eyes had seemed different.. less predatory. He'd stood weak before her, with his throat bared, an easy kill, but she had not laughed at him. She hadn't even put him beneath her feet, to declare herself supreme and better than him. She had just offered some sort of quiet assurance, and Mauja gave a low hum, before shaking his head. These thoughts were for some other night. Faelene was tired and he was guilty of keeping her up with his stupidity and caution, and he did not really feel comfortable to spill his guts to anyone. d'Artagnan was one thing, and good as Faelene was, he just.. didn't want to. Instead, he forced it aside and gave her a small smile. "It'll work out somehow," he said, and despite his quiet voice there was something confident in it. Perhaps not foolishly confident, but he did not believe this would be the end of everything. "I won't keep you up longer now, Faelene." As an afterthought he added, in a whisper, "Thank you,".