the Rift

[OPEN] Invade This [Wall Crafting / Crafters]

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
Although Antheia's death was still fresh in her mind, Kahlua found that a day spent crafting for her fellow herdmates had given her the strength she needed to carry on. Likewise, a night spent sleeping had restored her strength from the use of her new found magic. Smiling was still hard, because she was still reminded so frequently of the way that Antheia had looked as she had stepped backwards over the cliff, but Kahlua did the best to repress the memory. It's what she did best, after all- pretending that the harsh parts of life did not exist, were not a concern and would all go away if she just didn't think about them. It was a childish attitude to have, but she did not have a better way to deal with the world.

Determined to continue her emotional ascent from the depths she laid in, the overo mare decided that she would continue on with crafting. Having exhausted all of the smaller projects she must do, she knew what she was to take on now... The Wall. It had been mentioned when she had first arrived here, so long ago, but the sun had left the land with the magic and no work had been accomplished. The day of the invasion, she had never wished for the thing more. Now, she just wanted to get the thing up and built so that she knew her and her herd mates would be safe.

Making her way the South East corner of the Edge, Kahlua came upon the borders and looked. The sun was just beginning to peak over the horizon and the day was already warm. Kahlua knew that the work she was about to partake in was going to be hard, body draining work; however, for once in her life, Kahlua was prepared to sacrifice her well-being for the greater good. Or, perhaps, she was only prepared to sacrifice her well-being to ensure her safety in the future. Regardless of the reason, there was work to be done. Before her there were some small, clear areas where the ground had been removed of debris. She would start here.

Closing her eyes for a moment, Kahlua tried to imagine the tallest horse she had seen. It was the draft horses, of course. Thor and Atka for starters. She used their height to judge how high she would want the wall. It would have to be of sufficient height to keep the tallest of horses from just jumping over it (6-7 feet, she decided on), and sufficient width to prevent it from falling over at the first gust (2-3 feet). It would need stabilizers at the bottom, on the inside, to further aid in standing. At the outer, top edge she imagined sharp spikes protruding every foot or so, as further incentive for any would-be invaders to keep their hooves planted firmly on the ground. She did not bother with thinking of decorations or any unnecessary additions. As it was, she was not sure she was skilled enough for the project. Still, the gods had been kind to her so far. Her glass creations had molded as she had requested them to.

Opening her eyes, but keeping the mental image of the wall in her head, Kahlua silently prayed to the Goddess of the Moon. I need your help now more than ever, she thought to the airs around her. Let me build this wall, to keep us safe, and I will honor you every day until my death. Quickly, Kahlua called out to those who she called family and friend. She would not be able to do this on her own. “I offered my services to you, my friends. Now I ask for your help. I cannot build this wall alone.” Hoping that the prayer she offered to the goddess and the call she gave to her herd would be sufficient, Kahlua called upon the mists in the forest around her to begin shaping to her will. Slowly, they began settling onto the ground and forming into a solid. The wall had begun.

OOC| This thread is open to anyone and set a day or two after the “open crafting” thread. Posting order in this thread will be ignored. This thread will cover a long period of time. In general, I will try to post every other day (or daily if I can) to document Kahlua's continued work on the wall while we have unlimited crafting. Likely, each of my posts will cover a day or two in Helovia time. Feel free to have your characters enter, help out and then leave in one post if you'd like. Obviously she can use all the help she can get. This is also a thread for anyone interested in crafting to learn more about it.
.KAHLUA

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit
It had been the right decision to bestow the rank upon the young girl. Already Mirage heard of her good-doings, of her dedication and want to prove herself worthy of the task. The DragonHeart knew now, with a certainty, that the wall that would protect their home would be built in the near future. And so when she heard the gentle caress of a summons upon the winds and mists, she smiled. Akaith chortled above, happily returning the call. The mare embraced the mists around her, and travelled in a combination of a shimmering illusion and a misty outline of a horse - or sometimes, a dragon. Her arrival was swift, and met with mists swirling about her hooves, her golden eyes peering kindly and keenly at the painted mare she had granted the magic of these lands. With admiration evident, the little shadow mare saw her new Glazier call upon the mists and winds and darkness, and create something from it - it was truly inspirational, and Mirage could not wait to be a part of it.

"I believe we need a clearer path than this in order to complete this monumental task," the mare began, turning her crown to peer along the distant stretch of borders that needed to be protected. With a shadow of a smile curving her dark lips, she bowed her head deep towards her chest, calling upon that which would alter the very shape of her bodice. It was different this time, as her body seemed to turn into mists before they glowed a spectacular golden hue, and suddenly there were grand shapes of wings protruding from her shoulders, and a long, thick tail grew from her hind. The mare did not necessarily grow in height, but certainly her presence embraced the reason why she was called DragonHeart, as her nape grew longer and gave her a higher view on the world. Once transformed, she opened her golden, now slitted eyes with a sharp click, a peered once more at the mare, a glitter of amusement behind her friendly pools. With a small huff of smoke from her nostrils, she looked down the line of trees again, and said quietly, "this will not do."

A deep, rumbling call began from within her throat. Soon it transformed, evolved into an exotic song, one that called for the assistance of all who were able, all who wanted to see their home protected. "We shall clear a path wide enough for two abroad to walk either side of the wall." She spoke once her call was complete, a draconic grin curving her scaled lips as she glanced back to Kahlua. Akaith warbled from above, happily beginning to scorch the uppermost branches of trees to help strip them of their lighter branches, to make the carrying of larger trunks and bodies cleaner and easier. Another huff of smoke exited Mirage's muzzle, as she neared the trunk of a particularly thick trunk, and prepared to breathe the fire that would weaken it. Calling upon the fire that resided deep within her belly, she breathed it out with well practised accuracy, engulfing the small area of trunk that would then cause the tree to fall. Akaith let loose a call of alarm to ensure any who were near stood back to avoid getting crushed.

The dragon was not done with simply letting the tree fall, however - she leaned her shoulder into it, letting it fall upon her with a deep grunt. It would take some effort but with some flapping of her broad, golden wings, she would slowly but surely lift it from the ground, and take it to one of the camps deep within their home, to use when it was dried out and dead as fuel for those chilly winter nights.

It was going to be along, hard work, but the DragonHeart would do everything she could to ensure it was completed.

[ ooc :: Basically, Mirage is just doing this over and over, feel free to interact with her etc, she'll happily hold a conversation here and there. Also, I think it's safe to say POST ORDER IS A LIE in this particular thread. LET'S BUILD A WALL :DDDDD ]

dragon - bg
table

It did not take long for an answer to come to her call and the draconic sound of the creature in the distance caused Kahlua's ears to flick. Besides knowing that Mirage was called the DragonHeart, Kahlua knew little of the dragon culture that had evolved within the Edge. Had she been less engrossed in her work, she may have been concerned about the call, being rather unnerved around carnivorous creatures; however, the immense concentration she had put into imagining a wall before her, a grand wall that would save their herd from invasions to come, did not allow her mind much freedom to wander. She was engrossed, and in fact entirely open to predation, but today was to be lucky for her. A predator did not come. Instead, a queen graced the Glazier with her presence.

The mists twisted slowly and carefully, piling upon one another and solidifying into frosted glass. Somewhere behind or beside her, the queen's voice spoke. I believe we need a clearer path than this, and Kahlua only nodded briefly. She meant no disrespect to her queen, and agreed completely that the way would need to be clearer. She had thought of making the wall twist and turn about the trees if no help came. She was glad she would not have to- the twisting would have slowed her job entirely too much for the work to be completed in any sort of reasonable time. When the dragon queen changed, Kahlua caught the imagery from the corner of her eye. She stiffened for a moment, and the mists wavered in their steady work, but being able to show her queen what work she could do was too enticing to be afraid. Kahlua gave her mind entirely back to the task at hand, and the mists resumed their easy transformation, as the dragon queen blew smoke at the forests.

As the queen called out, Kahlua was glad for the louder voice. And though its intent was to echo far and wide through the World's Edge, it seemed to crawl into Kahlua's skin and bones to further motivate her in her work. Two abreast, Kahlua thought to herself, though it was only fleeting- in her mind one moment and gone the next. It was a monumental task that the queen had set out for herself, but Kahlua was glad to see that the dragon lady was as willing to help her herd as lead it. As the fires beside her scorched tree tops and tree bases, Kahlua saw only frosted glass. She trusted the dragon queen to keep the fires at a safe distance. In her mind, she reminded herself that every ten feet or so she would want a section of clear glass as a window to allow the guards to see out.

So the mare worked methodically, her childish mind totally engrossed in her task. She had finally been granted the power she had longed for so long, and she was determined to use it to her full advantage. As the hours went by, and the sun traveled across the hot, blue sky, Kahlua worked. When she needed, she took breaks to eat, drink, or take a quick nap, but she never rested for long. Her dragon queen was working hard to keep the path clear and Kahlua wanted to keep pace with her. During one of her breaks, she found time to speak. “Thank you for your help, my queen.” In a moment of pure honestly, she continued on, hoping there were no others listening in. “Your quest for peace has given me purpose... I can't thank you enough.” She let her kindly smile linger for a moment before heading back to work.

By the time the sun was setting on the first day, Kahlua was completely exhausted. She had not taken as many breaks as she probably should have, if only because whenever she stopped she had to think about Antheia again. As long as she was working, or exhausted, she could not think of death. She slept the night as solid as any, collapsed onto the ground but trusting that she would be safe. The second and third days passed in much the same manner, Kahlua working behind the queen, taking breaks when she needed. By the end of the third day it took her only seconds to fall into a deep slumber, even her dreams were of walls, but the mare did not mind. It kept her mind from the suicide that was otherwise plaguing her thoughts. In the morning, she would awaken and continue as she had been.

OOC| This post ends at the end of day three. As it always will be, this thread is open to whomever wants to come, whenever you have time!
.KAHLUA

By the time the mare woke on day 4, the sun was already well above the horizon. She had slept too long, but she had needed it. The poor girl had been practically exhausted by the night of the third day, working as tirelessly as she had been. At awaking so late, she actually felt somewhat refreshed and was glad the others had let her sleep. Not wanting to seem lazy in front of her queen and herd, she forced herself to rise. She found that some of her strength had returned to her and she was ready to face the day again. At the back of her mind, mere whispers of thoughts of Antheia were awakening as well. Not wanting to deal with the depression, as she never wanted to think of it, Kahlua immediately began thinking of walls again.

Looking to her left, Kahlua noted the length of the wall that she had built. It had come quite a ways, as even as she looked at it now the very start of it (that jutted up against the solid edge of a mountain and would be impassible) was no longer visible to her eyes. A sense of pride that she should have built something as this welled up inside of her, daring to inflate her ego. But as she looked to her right, Kahlua knew there was still much more to do. Her lady queen had cleared quite a way ahead of her already today and beyond that there were only more trees. But if Mirage could keep working, keep her dragon form and burn the trees without complaint, then Kahlua could do the same of building the wall.

Picking up where she had left off, the mare took a deep breath and called upon the mists. Again they twisted and turned and piled up and solidified into frosted glass. Again, there were clear areas every so often, for viewing of the outside world. Again the spikes jutted out towards the outlands to impale any horses that tried to jump over the thing. Again, there were bracers along the inside to prevent the wall from tipping over from its own weight. The monstrous creation was certainly not beautiful, but it was functional. That was all that mattered. At least, Kahlua hoped it would be functional. If there was a flaw in the creation, if the monsters of the north found some way to bypass or step over the wall it would be useless. Still, Mirage had said nothing about the creation's functionality.... it must be right.

Day four- her lengthened sleep gave her the necessary energy to battle with the wall. She tried to sleep, drink and eat more often than she had in the last three days. If she killed herself before the thing was finished, her death would be in vain. She did not want to die anyways. Day five- she looked around, hoping Resplendence would come to her. Or Smoke. Surely one of them would have some revitalizing herbs for her. They were not there, though... She looked to her queen and then the dragon creature. She spoke to Mirage. “Forgive me for asking, my queen... I'm afraid I'm no healer. I'd as soon kill myself as pick the right thing. Do you know of any plants for giving energy, or does your dragon? I think that all of us here could use such a boost...” She trailed off. It was mostly for selfish purposes that she asked, but it was true that all of them expending their energy and days in the heat would benefit from such greenery. Day six came and went, the same as the others. Eating, sleeping, drinking only when necessary. The wall was her life now.

OOC| This ends day six. If you join, feel free to say you were present from days 1-now because, of course, post order is a lie.
.KAHLUA

Destrier Posts: 180
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.3hh :: 16 HP: 65.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Suli :: Common Green Dragon :: Fire Breath & Merlin :: Plain Black Dragon :: Frost Breath Dingo

we are like birds of a feather
we are two hearts joined together
we will be forever as one
my brother under the sun </style>

As promised, I made my way to the site of construction two days after the creation of my plow. The previous day, Suli and I had spent a good few hours figuring out just how to weave the skins of her kills through the slip-lock buckles and various rings, as well as around my chest, around my girth and over my back. If not for my patient mind, I might have grown just as frustrated as Suli had at our numerous trials and errors, but eventually, our work paid off and we came up with something that should work and last a long while.

The morning that Kahlua called for us, we were ready. With Suli's assistance I was harnessed and strapped to the plow, and wasted no time in setting off in the painted mare's direction which thankfully was not too far away. Behind me followed the plow, each sickle leaving shallow lines in the ground to mark my path as I went. I was surely a sight for sore eyes to most, wrapped with various skins and a glass thing attached to me, but in my mind, this was all too bittersweet. I was happy to be helping my brethren, assuring that our home would be much safer for years to come, but I couldn't quite shake a feeling of overwhelming sadness as I made my way to the others. When I had not been busy scouring the borders of Vallhea with Bran, we would oftentimes assist with the other essential needs of the village, such as plowing new croplands. My heart ached at the realization that I would be performing such a task again, but for once, I would not have my beloved boy at my side.

The first to capture my eye was the painted Glazier herself, to whom I flashed a smile and attempted to hide my infernal sadness away. The next I saw was our Queen in all of her golden, scaled glory, and she too earned a gentle smile from me as well as a short, chiming song from Suli as she flew higher into the skies as if intent on helping the Weyrleader out. As precious as the sight was, I couldn't bring myself to the laughter I might have normally displayed, and instead focused on the task at hand without a word.

Positioning myself at the appointed start of our wall, I assured that the sickles of the plow were dug as deeply into the ground as possible and waiting for the path ahead to be cleared. Mirage made it look all too easy as she grasped onto the trees and pulled them up from the earth, and only when I had a clear path did I lean into the thick hides stretched across my chest, and begin to pull the plow along behind me at a steady pace. The work would be arduous and tiring, but it would provide the wall a more even ground in which to be built upon, thus making it more steady. Suli had returned to me by now, realizing that she would only be a hazard to the much larger dragon clearing the way for us. Instead, the little green made herself usefull by picking up the rocks settled in my way, clutching them within her back claws and tossing them to one side to prevent them from catching in the plow.

"Speak."

[ooc - Feel free to interact with Des or ignore him. ^^]

image by blu | table code by tamme

You may attack and use magic on Des at any time for any reason.

HP: 66.5

Dragomir Posts: 275
World's Edge Glazier atk: 6 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17" :: 7 HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Bunnie
Having watched the residents of the misty wood at their work since Kahlua's call, Dragomir hung along the outskirts of the forest that provided both cover from the eyes of the crafters as well as ample room to see at their work. He was rather interested in the builders, and though the wall itself was a simple object (albeit massive) it had allowed to him to come to know each of the three faces that had been most present at the building in new light. He had already known them all through some encounter or another, though the bonded stallion and the painted mare were still nameless; never one for conversation and having met them at a lesson on herbalism (in which talking was not required) he had kept his name and business to himself.

All too often he had done this. It shamed him to be afraid of their company; and yet, more terrible than the shame was the sensation of blind and irrational panic threatening to consume him each time he attempted to make new connections. Surely his father would mock him for being a coward at this moment, but Dragomir did not feel that he was being entirely yellow bellied; Mirage had warned him that his way of life and thought was not welcome here. Would they condemn him for ideals that he himself could not proper define so early in his life? The logical assumptions of the Weyr Leader, that they would accept him unconditionally, were just as foriegn to him as this land.

It would seem that the land itself rebuked him, truly; he had found the shrines of the Gods, and fallen to his knees before the lord of the Earth's temple. He did not know really why he had chosen to pray - what he did know was that the earth had threatened to swallow him whole before he had even given close to his hopeful words. It struck him as too coincidental, the lost boy, to feel so utterly alone in this strange place and also abandoned by the closest deity to resemble his dearest Aarde and Nieque, and so sullenly he had watched them tinker away on the wall for days, too hesitant for another rejection (the first of his mortal dismissals, to be sure) but young heart yearning to learn whatever it was that they could share.

His gloomy mood had lightened emmensely for a moment as the black mare had given purpose to the titles she had shared with him on their first meeting; it were her massive, golden claws that had torn the titanic trees from their ancient resting places in the forest to clear the way for the glass maker to work away on the wall. With ease, Mirage grapled the things, drawing a look of awe and wonder to his watching features that bubbled youthfully; the expression did not last long, soured by an anxiety at having to speak with the lady again, knowing now more of her power than he had assumed from her demeanor. That he still had not learned all of her secrets was certain, also, a dismal lining to the drab existence that Dragomir felt himself emmersed in, his lack of honor or grand deeds making him feel rather small clinging to the shadows on the outskirts of the cleared forest path.

He finally managed to muster his courage when reminded of the unicorn foals, the reason that they had been led into the wood. While the idea did not settle well with the stag, he could think of no better path other than to take an eye for an eye - an idea that he was sure enough of Mirage's attitudes on life to know she would have no such policy marked by her name. And so he had quietly accepted her failure.

He would quietly accept that she had not failed to instill a greater respect for her with her mere draconic presence.

Drawn to break conversation with the dragon queen but knowing that he would have to outgrow his awkwardness, the youth settled upon the (seemingly) less distressing of the two horses that he had met that day along the fireside with Smoke. Without a bonded and seeming to have a bright and cheerful personality, she was much less intimidating than the man who was often running patrols on the chance encounters he had spied her. This mare, on the other hand, was most often seen chatting with others of the herd, a jubiliant and lively woman with a face as lovely as her charm. He approached her from the center of the cleared space, giving a soft gaze to the figure of his queen toiling away before nickering his welcome.

The girl may find comfort in his voice, or sadness. It is deep and rich, so much so that the young male of three sounded to be a much older and grown man until one caught light of the youth glittering in his eyes, the questioning desire for approval flashing like silver in a creek bed beneath his crystalline irises; it is a voice very much like her brothers. But Dragomir does not know this, and so with no sauve and Fuhrer-esque moves, it spills out in the form of a half stammered, "Err," his ears slipping back in self annoyance at not having thought of anything to say in all his mental battling to make the walk over to her. "I am Dragomir," he inserts after momentarily collecting his nerves and train of thought once again, "I have never built anything before... but I would like to help, if I can."

His friendly smile faltered once more as he realised that with such a request, she may believe he was asking her if he could use his own magic to help her build the wall. Of course, he couldn't do that - Dragomir had nothing but his own body and spirit to offer to the cause. Quickly latching onto the tail end of his words and nervously scuffling a hoof in the dirt before him, he added, "Not with the wall. But I can clear away brush as it is needed, or... well anything really." It seemed a common phrase of his - anything really - and it bounced around stupidly inside his head in the normal span of conversational silence (an hour to the poor bloke). What was even worse about this particular situation was that he was not entirely sure why he was so nervous; she had four hooves, no horns or wings, and wasn't a half breed of some wild animal.

But she was a pretty girl.

And, unfortunately for Dragomir, such realizations never dawned quickly on such a serious young man.
Wishlist | Table Tracker  

Any violence/magic is allowed to be used upon Dragomir at anytime, permitting it doesn't kill or seriously maim him without my permission <3

Xanthos Posts: 99
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 9 Buff: NOVICE
Azel :: King Cheetah :: Quantum Leap Adoptable

I WILL LIVE FOR YOU

The steed had his troubles finding his way throughout the terrain of Helovia, yet when he visited each place, his memories of once before came flooding back in. It had been long since Xanthos had explored the magnificent lands and it was difficult to figure out where he was really supposed to go because he had forgotten which paths to take. But he knew, before long, the memory of directions would be set and stone in his head, and he wouldn’t have to worry about becoming lost. Yet, when Xanthos thought of it real hard, he already had it jotted down in his nerve, he could just never remember it. But at least he had Azel to help him. Two brains were better than one, but he was starting to think that the feline didn’t have one.

”This way, Xanthos.” Azel’s voice broke into the stud’s thoughts. He shook his dome and looked around to see where he was at, only he had stopped in mid-thoughts. ”I’m sorry Azel, I’m just so confused.” His calm voice reached out to the cheetah standing in front of him as he began to walk toward the Edge again. Azel tilted his head before continued to walk at his companion’s heels with his eyes watching at the movement of the dun’s hocks. Xanthos had been worried about his family lately, since he arrived back to his home land, he hadn’t seen or heard from them. Had Romani and Jasiri abandoned him? No – they would never do that. Xanthos thought to himself, only to doubt it with full fury. Had Romani found someone else to love, and Jasiri to call out “Daddy!” to? But why? His solemn was getting him best in the head and he could not help but think of the horrible things that might’ve happened to them in his absence. What did happen to them?

He continued on, his vibrant yellow eyes sunken back and reaching down to the earth. As he reached the Edge borders, he came upon a large ground of family. Many of them were new and he did not know of, but his dark queen caught his eye at once. Xanthos smiled and walked up to her side, looking towards the painted mare. ”Mirage, good to see you again my lady.” He spoke turning his head to the black leader. He looking into her golden eyes with a smile. She was his activation, she kept him going and going. She kept him believing in what others could never have done for him before, yet, she could not do one thing. She couldn’t help him remove the thoughts of his lost love from his head. They kept coming back, as if they were stuck there forever. But, he had to relieve himself from that feeling, or else he would be stuck too.

Xanthos dipped his dome to his WeyrLeader before taking a step forward to introduce himself to the crowd. ”Hello brothers and sisters, please, do call me Xanthos.” He smiled to them all and then began to help, knowing the painted mare would need all the help she could get in the Tallsun weather. He walked up to some rather large sticks and began to clear them out of the work space, traveling back and forth. He enjoyed working for his herd mates, it made him feel worthy of something special, to work under his beloved leader. The brute piled the large sticks and rolled them towards the other pile he had started that carried different sizes of branches, if in need, the members could come and snatch however much they needed. It didn’t bother him, for he might use them himself too.

A little ways off, Azel picked up the smaller branches and tossed them into the pile also. When the cub discovered a hole in the pile of sticks, his curiosity got the best of him and the cat climbed in. Unwarned of his companion’s adventure, Xanthos tossed another stick onto the pile, it rolling down to cover the hole. He continued to work without knowing before he noticed that Azel was nowhere to be seen. He panicked for a moment before walking back to the pile and heard a small “yowl”. The stud chuckled and removed a large branch, revealing a new hole and a trembling feline. ”And curiosity killed the cat.” Xanthos shook his head and laughed, reaching in to grab the tuff on the back of the cub’s neck, he pulled him out. He sat Azel down and then covered the hole back up with the branch.

He looked to his companion and smiled, shaking his head from side to side. Before the stud could blink, the cat was off again exploring. Xanthos sighed and went back to work with his friends. When will he ever grow up? The stud thought to himself with a laugh.

BEFORE I DIE

Credits

One week. How had she been at this so long? There were very few things that held her attention so long, so whatever was driving her now was a mystery even to the mare. But perhaps she was just growing up a little bit, growing into her responsibilities as a mare and losing some of her childish qualities. Maybe it was something to do with the presence of the dragon queen. Maybe it was something else entirely. Whatever it was, the mare honestly hoped it did not last. She loved her work, but she did not want to become a work-a-holic. She wanted to be as young and free and tirelessly happy like she always was.

“Destrier, Suli,” she smiled at their entrance, glad to see them. He seemed to have figured out a way to loop the skins of Suli's kills (which didn't disgust the mare as much as she would have anticipated) through the rings and buckles she had made him. Somehow, against all odds, the things she had thrown together for him had worked. Clearly he was more clever than she was. The weary girl did not manage many more words for them, her concentration on building the glass monstrosity too great, but she couldn't be happier to see the pair here and working. She fed off the energy of others. The more there were, the more she could feed off the energy in the air. It was not magic; the girl just found strength in others.

Please call me Xanthos, another one added, and Kahlua looked to him with a nod. On a normal day, she would have repeated his name in her head and tried her best to remember it. Today, she managed only a meager “Hello, I'm Kahlua” before she generally ignored him. He seemed to be doing work, and she longed to say hello and treat him further to a pleasant conversation, but she could not bring herself to it. Alongside him, his companion worked in the heat. How it had seemed to get hotter each day, the mare could not understand, it was like the Sun God was working against them. But she worked for her Moon Goddess now. In a moment of though, she lowered her nose and touched the plum colored amulet that hung around her neck.

The last one, the bay tobiano, she had noticed come up to her. So engrossed in her work, she was hardly noticing anything that did not stand directly in her face or speak aloud to her. But then he spoke to her. It wasn't much, just a chortle of his throat, but she did not wait for more. The mists wavered, then stopped their work altogether. The mare's eyes grew wide, her muscles stiffened, and even in her weariness she found energy to shout as she turned. “FUHRER!” Her eyes were misty as she turned and her face was as wide and bright as the morning sun, but even as she turned her face began to fall. It wasn't right. Nothing was right. This man wore large patches.... the small spots of her twin weren't there where they should have been. Her face turned to a frown. It had only been a moment, but the hurt had almost been as bad as Antheia's jump from the mountainside.

“Oh, forgive me, Dragomir” she said then blandly. She didn't mean anything by the odd tone in her voice, it was only because she had been expecting something different. “I thought you were someone else.” As he continued on about wanting to help and then stuttering about clearing brush or anything else, she tried to smile but the motion was forced. Perhaps she could come to like the boy in time, there was certainly nothing unpleasant about him, but the hurt he had unwittingly caused was too much for her right now. She was too tired for all of the emotions that kept threatening to pile up inside of her and overflow. She wanted to bury them. Work was the only way she knew how. “Of course, clear the brush,” she said with a nod. Then because she was expected to and because Mirage was near, she added, “I'm rather new to all of this myself, but if you want I can try to teach you what I know when this is all over.” She hoped he would pass, but perhaps he would look at her fallen face only as one of weariness and not understand that the feeling was one of hurt. She hardly understood it herself.

All the days were the same, the sun rose and fell, the mists were drawn to the wall. Finally they were halfway. Kahlua left a space wide enough for two horses to walk abreast through an opening and then began again on the other side. Perhaps some day she would build a gate, somehow, to close the central portion of their wall and safety net. For now, all she could think of was wall. The object permeated her every thought and being. She was the wall. Two weeks. But they were past halfway now, and that gave the mare hope. Everyone worked on, and so would she.

OOC| End day 14 and past halfway, obviously backtracking for conversations and such. Thanks for everyone who has joined and helped out!
.KAHLUA

Her body was trained now, like an alarm clock, where she rose every morning at sun-up and rested every evening immediately at sun-down. The life was not a pleasant one. The white and black of her coat that she normally kept pristine were salt-marked and sweaty. Dust from the constant plowing billowed up into the air and settled onto her hide as well, turning the white marks a dusty brown and fading the black to an ugly gray. Her mane and tail were knotted and greasy with sweat and toil. She looked terrible. The only consolation was that she was too tired to think of it most of the time.

Some nights she slept in the mists, alternately standing and curling up on the ground under the mists. Other times she would lie alongside her massive creation, pressing her body against the cool class, and feeling the energy of the thing vibrate within her. She was giving everything of herself to this wall and she would count it as hers until the day that she died. Even now, tired and messy and emotional drained as she was, she could not look upon the creation like the parasite that it truly was. With the rise of the sun on day 15 (had it really been so long?) she still managed a small weary smile at the site of the barrier glinting in the sunlight.

Rising from the ground as was her duty, she picked up where she had left off the day before. Mirage continued to maintain the clearing and direct the flow of the building. Kahlua was grateful for the direction she was being given. Though she had been appointed to Glazier, as she had always wanted, she had found with her conversation to Dragomir that she was not entirely sure she was fit to be lead. Of course, she wouldn't share the information with anybody. That was for her to know and others to never find out.

Inch by foot by yard and longer the wall grew. Behind her, the trees seemed drier than she thought they should be, even in the scorching summer heat. If she had been a scholar, she would have wondered if she was drawing mists from within the trees as well as without. After all, she had to get her materials from somewhere, and the fog that covered the land could not be an endless commodity, could it? She had no idea, because it was not her duty to know. Her duty was to call upon the mists and shape them as she pleased.

At least the work was mind-numbing. As she rose each morning and looked upon the wall, regathering the image of the colossus in her head, she did not have to think. If she was not being spoken to, if she did not have to stop and search the deepest depths of her brain to find coherent words, the work went relatively fast. Still, the more she worked, the more she found herself aching for the end. How much farther could it be, she wondered to herself with increasing regularity. Often she tried to shake the words away, but like prodding tendrils they came back and would not let her be. By the end of the third week, she wondered if she would ever think of anything other than walls again. How could she?

OOC| End week three. Only a few days left until our endless magic runs out. Get your butt in here and post, if you want to be a part of building the wall!!
.KAHLUA

By the middle of the fourth week, Kahlua was thoroughly convinced she would never know anything but barriers ever again, for the rest of her life. Was she a horse or a wall? It was becoming hard to tell the difference. She had lost herself so completely in her work that there was no longer a difference between herself and her creation. She was the thing that she was making. And when she looked around her at those who were helping, she felt a feeling like she was looking at them from the frame of reference of the wall. Without magic, this was as close as she would ever get to an out of body experience. She felt a sense of grandiose pride about herself but it was not longer because of what she was making. It was because of what she was. Kahlua felt her feelings for the wall the same way a cathedral looks down upon its city and feels pretentious because it knows it is better than any citizen that might deign to enter.

But having the feelings or not, Kahlua did not and could not understand them. She felt the greatness within her, but she did not know why. The only things she actually felt that she comprehended was exhaustion to the point of madness. Her dreams were not even walls anymore. They were strange, metaphorical shows of light and shapes and other things that could not be named. If she had a drug, if she felt dependence on anything in her life, it was this wall. And like any good drug addict, it might be expected that she would withdraw when her drug was no longer available to her. After all, at some point the land would come to an end. At some point, the forest would run out and a cliff would appear and the wall would have nothing solid to stand on anymore. Walls cannot be built to stand on air.

There were days when she woke and felt glimmers of her former self, and she would look into the distance, and she would think she could hear the sound of crashing waves coming closer. And on these days, where she was almost Kahlua again, she hated her life, because the crashing made her think of the Antheia and the way her body had crashed down to the shore like every new splash of water. And so it was most days that she preferred to be lost in the strange, drug-like coma that made her work go by so quickly. If anyone was talking to her anymore, she did not hear it. As a barrier of glass, she could not fathom the concept of conversation or the idea of words. She was lost, a mad-woman on a quest to end her suffering and continue it forever.

And then one day it did come. It did happen that she woke and she knew she heard the crashing waves nearby. And ahead of her, the dragon queen and the valiant minds that followed her stopped their work. And Kahlua wondered why. The tendrils of the mists wavered and fell, Kahlua turned her head and perked her ears. The sun was only just above the horizon. Why had they stopped? She picked up a trot, covered the few feet between herself and the rest, and found that she was at the world's end. There was no more. Just the few feet from where she had left off to where she stood now. And in that moment, joy overrode every feeling of utter defeat that was consuming her body. She screamed to the heavens, a joyous sound and she galloped back to where she had left off.

With forceful thoughts and blood that pumped as fast as she wished the wall would build itself, Kahlua urged the mists on. The wall did not lose any of its strength or features, she was careful enough to keep them in place, but she wanted the thing to be done. If she had been wondering if she should be wall or woman for the rest of her life, she had made her choice. She wanted to live. She wanted to be Kahlua and run and play and laugh and dance and live her life as a painted mare. She was not meant to be a wall of glass, she was not meant to be stoic and timeless an look down upon others with haughty thoughts in her head. She was not meant to sleep at night with dreams of prisms and refractory light. She was meant to be organic and soulful.

With every moment the wall grew, but it was still a painfully slow process. Inches added, then feet and yards, and then she was there, at the edge of the wall, and it was touching the cliff's edge and she could go no further. None would be able to walk around the thing. Only pegasi would be able to circumvent this end of the wall, but walls could not cage birds anyway. A scream filled the air, a joyous sound as she leaped about like a foal and then cried out to the heavens, “We did it, we did it!” She ran about, trying to touch everyone that was near her, to nuzzle them her thanks and devotion and eternal gratitude. If it takes a village to raise a child, then this wall was her baby.

But even joy could not give her energy forever, in a few moments all the dancing took its toll. Kahlua collapsed on the ground at the foot of the wall, laying her back up against the edge of the monstrous creation. But when she fell asleep, as she did almost immediately, she did not have psychotic dreams induced by ravers with glow sticks and neon signs. She fell into a slumber that was simple and easy, meant for a babe. She slept as soundly as anyone had ever slept before, and were it not for her breathing one would have thought her dead. From time to time she would awaken only to shift her weight and lay on the other side, so as not to alleviate the pain that came from being in one place for an extended period of time, but she did not move far. In fact, she thought she might just sleep the rest of her life away in this location. Perhaps the morning would change her mind.

OOC| End week four. Wall complete, feel free to continue on the thread if you feel so inclined. As before, you can always back-track and say you were helping to build. I don't mind!
.KAHLUA

Dragomir Posts: 275
World's Edge Glazier atk: 6 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17" :: 7 HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Bunnie
The enthusiasm with which the girl spun about to greet him was suprising, Dragomir balking backwards a pace as an unknown name was shouted at him. The swift decimation of the brilliant smile, however, immediately slowed the racing of his heart and replaced it with a feeling of saddened confusion; he was unsure how he had failed her, or even how he had initially inspired such joy from her with his stammering attempts at conversation. Thankfully for the distraught young male, however, she answered the question in turn, her sad eyes looking him over and filling him with a secondary curiosity at just who this Fewrare was. Dispondently, she agreed that the task of removing brush from her path was the best place for an unskilled being such as himself, his head nodding slowly in mixed emotional turmoil as he quietly began to slip away from her to begin his tasks, very much like a dog with it's tail held between its legs; however, she also offered him lessons, to which his flustered face bloomed into a soft and pleased grin and peered back over his shoulder towards her, his second nod more fervant and cheerful than the first. "Excellent," he said, happy that his teacher wouldn't be as wise or superior to him as was Mirage or Smoke; that they could learn together set to motion a stream of pleasant emotions towards the overo mare that Dragomir couldn't properly describe - though he didn't attempt to, for once in his short life. "I look forward to it, Miss Kahlua."

Giving a polite and slightly awkward miniature bow, his dark muzzle pushing towards his chest and one forelimb extended to lower his front half just a smidgeon towards the earth, he continued away from the Glazier and towards the nearest pile of branches and limbs that had been ripped from the heavy trunks of the trees Mirage had torn from the earth. Grasping the first of many branches to be relocated, he began seperating the larger pieces from the smaller, forming several piles along the outskirts of the cleared area and attempting to remove those nearest the pretty lady to allow her to keep constructing on the glass wall. As each pile turned into a mound, he slid off into the woods to gather some vines to use as tethers, returning with several long and thick green plant forms that he had located to the easterly side of the forest. The thick vines sported withered and seemingly once blue flowers, and he found that while he worked the make-shift rope about the bundles that it unleashed a pleasant and holistic smell. Marking the plant and where he had found it in his mind, he intended to later ask Smoke or another of the myriad herbalists about just what the vines were, but for now he found that it made quite excellent binding material and was satisfied in this new found knowledge in itself.

With his bundles in tact (about twelve from each pile) he began the process of dragging them to the nearest camp fires to the wall building location. He supposed he could leave well enough alone and let them sit along the outskirts of the forest's edge where he had initially piled them, but all too often he had seen the others of the herd gathering burning materials from all across World's Edge nearly daily. The gathering had slowed with the change of the seasons, to be assured, but that same change would soon bring the cold back around, and the more warmth that the fires could provide for him and his peers, the better off they would be. On each collective bundle, he'd left a length of vine around two feet long for him to grasp and drag, and soon enough he was back at rebuilding his individual piles of debri.

And so it continued, for many days, the young man remaining silent but for the occasional, "Excuse me," and "Thank you," given to those who toiled on the task at hand around him.

-------

On the final day of building, he stood and admired the massive structure that Kahlua had built; there was still plenty of wood to be moved to other locations, but all in all, nearly all the fires within the Edge had been visited by the painted stallion baring his gifts of combustion, and the weariness of having ceaselessly wandered to and fro had worn down on his stamina and filled his desires to do anything other than work. For being young, Dragomir was rather strong willed and determined, and where most youths would have grown bored and wandered away from the labor, he had found great delight in the muscle building endeavor. For one, it had given him an opportunity to learn more of his herd mates, these strangers who he mostly avoided and surely never went out of his way to converse with; even the non-equine members had been quietly observed rather than balked at, an achievement that he was quite proud of. He still was not sure if he believed Mirage's words that they were all the same. It would seem that most of the faces who had come to bolster the defenses of the Edge had been equines, a reaffirmation of a deeper work ethic and stronger physical prowess than other species. But those who had come baring horns or wings had shown no signs of being less capable than the earth walkers who had come, and so he was left with a luke warm, grey tinged sort of emotion as he usually was.

The greatest of lessons, however, were not those in reconstructing his soul to better fit an undivided universe as Mirage wished of him, but those he gathered watching them all toil away in unison. Like clockwork, they moved as gears with one another, and he found that in their joining, they had accomplished what one being could never do alone. He thought of his parents as he watched the overo lass set her mind to the last section of the wall, and their life of near solitude on the island. Even if he had not left and Svello and Vihar were there to assist, he did not believe that all five of them could have accomplished what he was now looking at. In fact, he had a hard time truly accepting that it had been Kahlua herself from whom the wall had formed, watching her in quiet concentration from his reprieve with a sense of respect and awe that had built in him during all his time working alongside her. Weariness knit her shoulders, as he was sure it did his own; but he worried for her, knowing that she had worked much longer than he had, and while the work she had taken on was not distinctly physical as his tasks had been, he did understand that utilizing magical talents required a mental energy - energy that she was surely running low on.

Seemingly in response to his inward concerns, the final segment of the collosal wall glimmered into existence, the girlish paint spinning about and bursting with enthusiasm for it's completion. His own smile was friendly and exuberant in it's own way, though less vibrant than Kahlua's to be sure - Dragomir's emotions weren't a leaping, sparkling river like Kahlua's, much rather the whisper of water beneath two inches of ice, but he derived great pleasure from her own happiness, much more than showed in his limited emotional expressions, a tangible sense of pride lingering between all of those who had come to improve the security of their perimeters. Bouncing around like an excited sparrow, Kahlua's affections assaulted Dragomir briefly - truly just a jovial rub with her muzzle along his shoulder - and left him standing like a statue, paralyzed by the touch as if electrified, staring wide eyed with a stupid grin still lingering on his face as his eyes disbelievingly watched her carry on to maul others with her joy.

The already broad blue gaze of the young man nearly let the orbs burst from his eyes when the jigging crafter's knees wobbled and buckled beneath her, sending her elegant and beautiful frame to the leaf strewn earth at the base of her latest creation. A sharp intake of breath followed his shock at her collapse, limbs quickly carrying his weight to her side. "Kahlua?!" he nearly shouted, panic filling him as he arrived at her crumpled frame; a sigh of relief left him as he noticed her ribs delicately rising and falling with breaths, though the concern didn't fade from his features. Raising his head from it's position of inspection, having found no immediately wounds on the mare other than the assured bruises where she had impacted the earth, he looked to Mirage and the others for guidance, unsure of what to do. "She's breathing," he said softly, deep tones alive with a hum of worry for the Glazier. All of his day dreaming of learning how to build as Kahlua and the others did flashed before his eyes, the strange lull of attraction that he felt towards the heap of beautiful woman at his hooves driving his panic at her collapse. Ever the honor bound fool, the young man was inclined to stand alongside her until she woke, to protect her from... from what? Squirrels? Falling pine nuts?

"Don't suppose we can just leave her here," he muttered, looking back down at her with an expression so distressed that he surely would have had a good laugh at himself, were there a mirror at hand, his nose hovering above her sleeping frame, hesitant to touch her despite an obvious lack of personal boundaries in that area on her behalf (she had just tackled all nearby with affection, hadn't she?).
Wishlist | Table Tracker  

Any violence/magic is allowed to be used upon Dragomir at anytime, permitting it doesn't kill or seriously maim him without my permission <3

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit
Through the dust and smoke, the shadows and the light, the days and the nights, they worked. Vaguely the dragonmare registered the presence of those related to her by blood - her daughters, her brothers - helping out where they could, lending their flames and strength, even just their moral support aided them. Snippets of conversation were had - Mirage rested as little as possible, her arabic blood giving her the endurance to continue her, her draconic side lending her the stubborn strength to simply never tire. She drank more than she ate, for when in her dragon form, it was bloodlust she yearned for, and so it was only very occasionally that she snapped up a fish from the sea or a rabbit from a field as she passed over it, having just dumped a great tree aside. It was a huge project, and she was given the best view of it - from the skies, she could truly see the way they were shaping the land, the way they had claimed the Edge as their own, completely.

It gave her a sense of inner peace, a sense of accomplishment. So many hated what she had done, hated that she had stolen children - even she hated it, if she were being honest. But still they followed her.. still they looked to her for guidance, for leadership and trust and with respect. Would they have done any different if they were in her position? Would they have been able to make the hard decision, to guide their kin down the path that was surely ugly, but ultimately necessary? She had secured peace for her home, peace and security now, for at least the next season, if the Basin Lord's words were anything to trust. She did not trust him - but then, she did not trust anyone at the moment. That was why they were building this wall. That was why they needed to ensure they could survive any famine, any threat that would come knocking at their door. Would this wall provide them with this security?

She hoped so.

The DragonHeart could not remember any words she had spokenin the last month. She was aware of those around her, and she communicated with them, but should you ask her now, as they stood in the settling dust, looking at their work, she could not recall a word of it. It was unimportant. The important thing was; we did it! Kahlua's call brought a smile to the scaled lips of the dragon, the first true one seen to grace her lips in as many weeks. The painted mare's collapse then brought a flash of worry - but as the dragon made to move near to her, Dragomir stepped forth. The smile she felt was internal now - she had been blind to the young boy's crush earlier, so enraptured in her task she had been, but she could see it now, as he fretted and worried over her. Akaith wondered at the sillyness of her kin, who all seemed so determined to shy away from love and affection whenever it was brought out in the open.

"You are right, sir," Mirage murmured, nodding her crown to him. "Stand by her, until she awakens. Please give her my deepest gratitudes, for she has worked honourably and now she has provided this herd and all future residents with an invaluable gift."

The dragon turned the, and spoke to her WingLeader, Akaith humming playfully with the little green dragon that accompanied him everywhere. "Destrier, be sure to organise the patrols immediately. Two pairs for the northern end, and two for the south. Ensure they know to report to Kahlua or yourself any points of weakness or wear they notice." It was important to be ever vigilant. The dragon spread her wings then, and, ensuing she did not sweep any of her fellows awaay as she did so, took to the skies. It was high time to clean her scales in the ocean, to feel the wind beneath her wings without the weight of a great tree lagging her flight. It was time to set some things in motion, to prepare the herd for yet another change.. To prepare herself to face that which could either destroy her, or make her stronger than ever.

dragon - bg
table

The sun had fallen, then risen and all of this time she had slept, unknowingly watched over by a guardian. The girl had given so much of herself, as had everyone else, was it any wonder she slept for such length? Shouldn't they all be sleeping? As the dawn came closer, the painted girl began to shift to and fro. She began to climb up from the depths of the deepest sleep she had ever known. As she did so, she began to dream again. Miss Kahlua, echoed through head. Dragomir. How long ago had he said those words? It was strange that the thing she should be imagining in her head was the voice of a stallion she had spoken to just this one time and met only once before this. Strange though it was, it continued on and for a moment she saw his face. There was the look of sadness when she had initially greeted him; then, it morphed into the wild grin he head worn while she had danced about. Interesting, then, that when she finally opened her eyes she still saw his face.

Initially, Kahlua started, surprised that she should be watched over so closely; however, even the many of hours of sleep could not restore all of her energy and so in the end she just gave up on being frightened. Letting a small smile brighten her face, Kahlua looked towards the cliff edge and the end of the wall. So it was real. She sighed, a sound of happiness and relief, before she turned her attentions back to Dragomir. She opened her mouth to speak to him when she suddenly became aware of a dull pain on her side. Bruising. Then she recalled the valiant end to her joyous romp. Her wobbling and subsequent collapse at the base of the structure. So that was where it had come from.

She tried to shift her body so that she might stand. Both her body and mind protested, concerned that they should be worked to their death, but still she rose. The motion was strained, awkward even, and as she stood she spread her legs wide to give herself some extra support. Her head was parallel to the ground at best and her ears splayed out sideways, displaying her exhausting about as evidently as possible. Should the girl run across a predator, she would surely become a meal. “I can't thank you enough,” she managed finally, looking to the stallion. Her smile returned, having faded during her struggle to rise, and she bobbed her head just slightly.

As her blue eyes began to look him over, she once again heard his voice in her head. Miss Kahlua. Was it possible for one horse to be so much the same as another, and still so different? She should know. Her and Fuhrer had come from the very same womb, known the very same family, called the very same land home. Some things had been the same. They both wanted greatness, after all. They both strove for recognition and fame. But some things had been so very different. He had been smart, a cunning mind with a thought for violence. A born leader. The girl? Kindly. Stupid enough that she should try to make her way through life with flattery. A good friend, but never meant to be in charge. Yes, it was possible. She just didn't understand.

With a second sigh, she returned her gaze to his face and finally felt like she owed him an explanation. And even if she did not, it would bring conversation. “You sound so much like my brother,” she said, her voice quiet and trying to dance, but so heavy with weariness that it was hard. “I think he must be dead,” she finished finally, her smile turning to a frown. She wanted to cry at the thought but tears would not come. It was probably all the better. Even if she had no concept of it, the stallion probably did not care to see the girl fall to a wreck before him. She had just met him, after all. So instead, she looked to him, wondering what he would say. Would he say anything? Or run away into the forest, now that she was awake? Certainly he deserved his own reprieve.

OOC| BUNNIE I DON'T REMEMBER WHAT FUHRER WAS LIKE. If I described him all wrong, let me know and I'll change it <3
.KAHLUA