the Rift

A Pocket Full of Blossoms

Akeli Posts: 13
Outcast
Filly :: Hybrid :: 16hh :: 2 Seasons (Ages in Birdsong)
Gremlin :: Common Genet :: None Noella
akeli
Dusk has fallen, and through the forest darkness creeps. The trees grow long in their shadows, their darkened silhouettes pressed against fresh snow. The canopy is like erratic lace, boughs bare of leaves and branches intertwining in their nakedness. The snow has finally stopped falling, and in the storm's wake, a frigid chill settles in for a long night. Birds have cozied into their nests, hidden away within the nooks of the trees, hiding from night's dark embrace and the round eyes of hunting owls. 

Above the canopy, a shadow approaches. It's gliding form is dark against the dreary greys of the cloudy sky, appearing to grow larger as it lowers in altitude. Keen eyes look for an opening in the wooded wall separating sky from earth. Captured in those eyes is sunlight, golden pools flicking left to right in their search. 

She finds her access, and wings partially fold as the creature plummets. Her silhouette seems to grow smaller, her profile narrowing, as she dips below the tree line. Wings snap open to their full potential as she captures beneath them a pocket of air, allowing her to land softly, gently, in a small drift of white. Wings shake, blackened primaries loosening the snow that has accumulated on feathers that gradually shift to grey and white, before they fold neatly to either side. Her dark mane is wind tossed, and for a moment she regrets her aging form, missing the cropped mane that comes with childhood before it is long enough to tangle in knots and curls. 

She steps forward on long legs, easily maneuvering through the light snow. In her mouth she holds several twigs, the driest she could find. Those golden eyes search still, looking for tracks covered an hour ago by the last throes of snowfall. But the girl is smarter than that, knowing footsteps are easily lost to the elements, and as she catches a worn and gouged piece of bark ahead she is thankful for the antlers that crown her sculpted head. She has marked these trees knowing she would lose her trail in the snow, and follows her breadcrumbs deeper into the forest until the canopy is nearly too thick to see the Frostfall sky, and the ground has been spared much of the snow due to the cover. Within the small grove, a pile of tinder has been collected, contained by four stones the girl had laboriously found and moved. 

Dropping her bundle, the girl looks around. She is small, she is young, she is not versed in battle. She does not know what lurks within this wood, and fears the teeth and claws that may lurk, waiting to claim her flesh for a meal to calm growling stomaches caused by the barren season. She knows not who this land belongs to either, and as the sky grows darker she worries her trespassing may be taken harshly. Still, she dares not to travel farther under the cloak of night. Instead she stays put, knowing this small haven bare of most snow and ice will make a comfortable sleeping place until dawn reclaims the world.

Upon a velveteen tine of her antler is a piece of flint, secured by a silken tie. Dipping he head low, she strikes the ashen stone upon one of the rocks - one, two, three times- and a small spray of sparks burst into the kindling, alighting the brush with glowing tongues of flame. The fire is not large, but enough to warm her body and provide enough glow to light the clearing in pallid yellows and oranges. 

In the light, her coloration is muddied by the fiery hues. But a passerby could still discern her markings, see the grey dapple that spill across her lean frame, marvel at the patchwork of white that stain her left front leg from shoulder to hoof, matching the splatters of paint that mar her rump, side, and neck. White in some length coat each long leg except for the rear right. One wing is white, the other grey, but both share black trimmings. She is beautiful, despite her youth, and in time she will fill out, but for now her innocence radiates from lanky legs and lean muscles. 

She looks into the flames, embers floating skywards, trying to interpret the dancing flares. Perhaps someday she will be successful in divining from flames, but for now she busies herself in her work, too nervous to sleep, not brave enough to fall asleep and allow the haunts of this forest to happen upon her unexpectedly. For a moment, she believes to see the face of her grandmother in the flames, and the crackling of the fire seems to whisper her name.

Akeli. 

image credits
[Image: _gift__akeli_pixel_by_abbie1234-d9po0qh_zps6qympgzb.png]
Please tag Akeli in all posts || Permission for magic and force at all times, except in cases of permanent injury or death.

Murtagh Posts: 92
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 hh :: 2.5 years
Sorellina :: Spectacled Bear :: None Sarah

“Come on Nonno! The frozen waterfalls move faster than you do!” Impatient? Well Murtagh thought he had every right to be. Kaj, Czar of the Falls and grandfather to all, had recently agreed to take him on a trip to the Threshold. It was a good thing the weather was cooperating because the colt wasn’t sure he could wait another day if the snows had decided to come in and stop them from making the trek. After getting consent from both of his mothers, he had hurried over to find the golden pegasus and proceeded to prance around him until he was ready and finally heading to the borders of the Falls.

The trip to the Threshold was, of course, filled with all of the excitement that leaving the Falls provided. New smells, new sights, new sounds! Frostfall was back but it was a sunny day and there were birds of all sorts signing away in the trees, clearly just as comfortable with the cold weather as Murtagh was. He had been born into the world of white crystals, after all, and realized that he felt most comfortable when surrounded by them.

Unfortunately, darkness had started to fall by the time they got to their destination. “Well what do we do now?” Would they still look for newcomers to Helovia under the darkness? Or would they find somewhere to nap? He didn’t want to admit to being tired and was doing his very best to hide it. As of yet he had not managed to stay up for an entire night - try as he might to be up when his mother was back from her patrol in the morning - but if Kaj wasn’t going to be stopping then neither was he. Although, he had to admit, he missed the little copse of trees that he slept in every night, sprawled out on dried leaves.

But before he could get too caught up in the thoughts of home, a flash of orange light through the trees completely caught his attention and he reached out to nudge Kaj repeatedly to get his attention (whether or not he had not already seen). “Nonno! What’s that?!” Knowing better than to race off into the dark forest on his own, he waited for Kaj to move before falling in beside him until they came to a clearing with a mare just standing there, staring into the fire. Well that was weird. He wondered what she was seeing?! Not being one to be shy or wait, Murtagh boldly stepped forward and greeted her with a bright grin. “Hello!! What’s the fire for?”

Murtagh

permission from Brit to mention Kaj <3
[Image: 5626f07281a02]
pixel by Kiara <3

Milo Posts: 60
Outcast
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 2 years [Birdsong]
Jen

I, too, am taking a trip.

Whether I was invited or simply stalking, I made the conscious decision to follow the boy and Czar when they left the Hidden Falls. Being crippled by my pain and taught to stay hidden by my father I made no attempt to catch up, instead allowing myself to live in the trail that Kaj and the older boy left in their wake.

He, that boy, is unfamiliar to me but not entirely so. He smells of home and surely is of it; perhaps I've seen him in passing. No, certainly--at a meeting, I must have. Kaj, too, is known to me. The leader with the wide wings that seem white and shining, other times gold.

When I arrive, my careful steps cease in silence. The horned colt moves to the stranger with overflowing exuberance, but I take more care. I have practiced silence so long and cannot find a reason to break its embrace now. I nose the rough and icy tree bark, step quietly towards the filly. She seems to just younger than I, and not much smaller. Her wings, dipped in coal and beautifully spread for a moment, capture my attention more than anything else. The fire sparks, the warmth of it spreads, but still it's her wings that I watch.

I let my fellow colt speak and rush forth before moving into the scene, saying nothing but acting on instinct. With a velveteen nose I reach out, hoping to nose the dark feathers folded by her sides and exhaling a cold puff of air towards the other boy from my herd. My tail, a curly white mop, flicks up and about in quiet excitement. Is this why he has come here, to meet this young filly? And why has she, smelling so foreign, flown to this welcoming wood? My golden eyes shimmer and burn with questions that I will not ask, and I instead wait to see how the others will respond to my presence.

""

image credits

@Akeli :)

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

{the stormbringer}
every day I'm cast away, a vagabond
battle born</style>

Kaj has suffered with the knowledge that he has no children of his own. It is a conflicting circumstance, because he is so clearly meant to be a father and yet has had his heart broken too many times to trust any creature to hold it once more. Instead he welcomes all to his fold, for his wings are large and can encompass many, and his heart is big and has love enough for all of them. Where he is the childless parent, they are the lost and shunned children of the world. They so badly need and deserve the love that he has for them, and there are despairingly large numbers of them when he is but one man. Nonetheless the ones he had sheltered and cared for have grown, but new lives spring up seemingly endlessly, and he welcomes them happily. Murtagh has quickly become one of them, though his parents are more than loving - and generally dislike Kaj as it is. 

How this became a field trip Kaj still isn't quite sure, and he is not blind to the quiet ghost that shadows them throughout their journey. He is concerned for the silent child, and is careful to keep watch over him as they wander beneath bare boughs. But he does not destroy the barrier, the shield of solitude that Milo hoists upon his shoulders. If he does not want to join them freely, Kaj will allow him the opportunity to gather his courage and serenity until he feels calm enough to include himself. 

Of course, Kaj still has Murtagh's quips to deal with, and he snaps his teeth playfully at the sassy child's rump when he ventures too close in his mockery. "Oh be quiet you knuffeltje duivel," Kaj rumbles, baby blues crinkling at the edges with a helpless grin. He can't help but appreciate the innocent enthusiasm Murtagh seems to give off in endless waves, and it's infectious. It tides him through the odd little train they have going on, Kaj shepherding the children safely across Helovia even as he stands in the middle of them. He is careful not to let his attention wander, caring more about the safety of the foals than recruiting any newcomer, and the burst of color in the fading light is immediately apparent. Of course Murtagh does not chance that, jostling him eagerly before running off to investigate. Even Milo trails after him, and Kaj hangs back to allow the children to experience this on their own before trailing behind them, a towering golden guardian. 

Milo's sudden physical engagement is intriguing, and Kaj wonders if it had merely been him the colt had been leery to approach or become involved with. A pang of hurt momentarily strikes through his heart, but the Czar instead focuses upon the singular lady in their midst. She seems just on the lip of adulthood, and far too young to be leaving the nest in his opinion. Though, he had not been much older than she when he had wandered free of the icy wastelands he'd been born into. 

"Excuse their excitement," the stallion rumbled, but affection and amusement were both apparent in the timbre of his voice as he spoke, one wing extending to nudge at Murtagh's flank pointedly. The other trailed, momentarily hesitating, not sure if Milo would accept such a touch but offering it nonetheless. "Introduce yourselves at least," Kaj admonished through a chuckle. "You'll overwhelm her!" Wings returned with a quick rustle to his sides, feathers flattening and shoulders stretching idly, his bad leg aching as it always did. Chin dipped towards his breast in a more formal gesture of greeting towards the fae, blue eyes curious as they alighted upon her. "My name is Kaj, I rule over the herd of the Hidden Falls east of here. Have you just arrived to Helovia?" That was the general case, but it was a free land to explore, and Kaj had encountered a few false leads in the guise of nomads and travelers. 

credit bronzehalo
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Outcast
akeli
The crackling of the fire calls to her, the twirling flames entrancing and capturing her attention. It isn't until a voice breaks the solitude she had found that her eyes flick upwards. She scans the treeline, seeing nothing but dancing pillars cast by the light of her fire. She stands tall, wings shuffling uneasily at her sides, betraying her facade of bravery. Two voices are heard, yet three forms appear. They appear haunting at first, the curves of their faces and bodies lit strangley by the orange glow. But as they near, the filly recognizes them as two colts acompanied by a winged stallion. She had been concerned, not knowing if this wood was inhabited by anything other than toothed predators, so to see creatures similar to her was comforting.

"Hello!" she chirps, a smile landing on her lips. She seems to radiate happiness as the red-tipped colt bounds towards her. Her forehooves dance on the frozen ground as she bounces, reaching out eagerly with her pink snout. As the second colt moves towards her, she calms. By his slow movement she knows he deserves a different salutation. He presses his muzzle against her feathers, and she pushes the appendage towards him gingerly, before lifting her wing up and attempting to muss his forelock. She watches him blow a puff of air at the crimson and roan boy. Though she has never seen a greeting like that before, she notices his lack of words. She tries to catch his golden gaze with her own, and nostrils flare before she imitates his gesture. Her frosted breath rises before disappearing into the night air.

Eyes then land on the golden guardian. He is magnificent, and for a moment the filly wonders if her wings will be as glorious some day as his. 

The painted child giggles at the question. "My fire is to keep me warm. It's also to make me feel better, since I'm a little scared of the dark." Though the light creates dancing shadows and uncertain forms, she knows that the fire keeps the real hunters away, and is the best she can do in her current state of solitude. 

His laughter is much brighter a noise than she would expect, and it thrills her. He makes her feel safe, and she is somewhat certain that's why he watches over the two colts. Maybe he is a proud father watching over his children? She had no way of knowing the answer, but something about him calmed her, and she felt safer than she did with nothing but the flames as guardians. "I'm Akeli!" she exclaims, more than happy to share her name with her new friends.  

"It's okay, I'm excited too! And you're a ruler? Like a king? Do you have a crown? Are you a king of this place?" Questions pour from her lips, and her tail wiggles with excitement. "I'm glad you all found me. I was starting to get lonely." Briefly, the excitement fades from her young features. She digs a toe into the frozen earth, casting her eyes to the ground as her smile breaks. She misses her mother dearly, and the loneliness that came with her search was quite a burden for the young soul. She looked up to Kaj, eyes trying to hide the concern. "Do you ever get lonely, King Kaj?" She addresses him as king, and though it might have sounded ridiculous, her teachers had always reminded her to be polite. Especially because it was her mission to enter the lands of many herds to learn there ways, she took care to never come across as rude.

Smiling again, she turns to the unicorn colt. "Do you live here?" she asks, wondering if they always run and play in these woods. She is thankful the fire is there to warm her sides, as it helps bolster her bravery. "I just got here, if that's what you mean. I don't live here. I live near a big river bend, in the Willow Valley." The babe speaks of her home, which is much farther behind her than she realizes. But she has no intention on returning, not until she completed her work, and that could take ages. "I came here to learn as much as I could before I return home. My mama told me to make plenty of friends, too."

She enjoys her current company, and hopes they stay close for the night so she doesn't need to concern herself with wolves and wildcats, but even more so hopes she may be an extended invitation to follow them home in the morning. 

image credits

@Kaj @Murtagh ~
Sorry this post is kinda crap, I just wanted to get something up and was thinking too hard about it. Because Jen (Milo) is on absent, she gave permission to skip over Milo and assume he quietly follows them back once we get to that point.
Please tag Akeli in all posts || Permission for magic and force at all times, except in cases of permanent injury or death.

Murtagh Posts: 92
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 hh :: 2.5 years
Sorellina :: Spectacled Bear :: None Sarah

“Cool!” Came the excited response to the subject of the fire. Whenever Murtagh got cold he could snuggle up with one of his mothers or one of their bears! It was a pretty good solution but he supposed this girl’s solution was pretty good too.  

After he had gone trampling through the forest to get to her, he had been followed soon by two familiar figures. Kaj - of course - and a colt! Murtagh didn’t know the name of the silver and black colt but he recognized him well enough - returning the greeting with an enthusiastic nicker. Both of the Falls colts were admonished for not introducing themselves, though Akeli seemed really nice and didn’t seem to mind all the questions and greetings! Grownups could be so touchy about that kind of stuff. When you’re young it doesn’t really matter if something is rude or not, especially if no one gets upset by it. “I’m Murtagh! It’s nice to meet you Akeli.” He motioned to the younger colt nearby. “I don’t think he talks but I’ll bet he thinks it’s nice to meet you too!” Did anyone know what the colt’s name was? Did Kaj? He was king, he should know. But he was also very old so maybe he had forgotten.

When asked whether he lived here, in these woods, Murtagh was quick to shake his head. “Nope! I’m from the Falls too. We all are!” Talk about a greeting committee! “It’s a herd just over that way,” Murtagh motioned his head vaguely in the direction he was pretty sure he had come in with Kaj (and the quiet colt). He might be wrong but it didn’t really matter, Kaj was there to lead them back anyway.

“You could come with us there! We can be your friends and there’s a whole herd there for you to meet!! And three other ones too! That was nice of your mama to let you go make friends, mine won’t let me go anywhere without someone else to protect me.” Not that he minded of course! There were weird things and monsters popping up all around Helovia and his mothers were only trying to keep him safe. How could he get angry about that??

Murtagh

@Akeli
[Image: 5626f07281a02]
pixel by Kiara <3

Milo Posts: 60
Outcast
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 2 years [Birdsong]
Jen

Despite the fact that I initiated the interaction, I am still surprised by her touch. It is almost violently affectionate, in a way that stirs panic in my breast. I want to pull away from the unfamiliar feeling of her feathers running along my pained spine, and when they cast my forelock over my eyes I find myself stepping backwards and stumbling over my own sugar lump hoof.

Stumbling, of course, almost straight into the czar.

My nose wrinkles, my brow extends to the sky as if I had a horn to brandish. When the curls cleared from my vision and I saw Kaj above me my immediate response was to move forward again, but somehow not forwards towards the filly. I found myself instead moving closer to the red tipped roan boy from the meetings.

Needless to say, too many things are happening at once. I feel the immediate need to withdraw but also nothing but the heat of the fire--a reminder of the heart of this land and my brush with death there, a reminder of the Crocodile God fighting against the sun, a reminder of the hurt--and the closeness of bodies and want to move.

I listen only vaguely to the words spoken. Kaj insists we introduce ourselves, something that I certainly could not do in such an anxious state and likely wouldn't even before finding myself in it. The filly calls herself Akeli. The foal calls himself Murtagh. They speak of their mothers. They are happy.

I call myself nothing. I know my name as a distant star, something once spoken by a mother I no longer have. Something perhaps forgotten by my father. I am not sure if I was happy or not--I am not quite sure of the emotion at all, yet.

Standing nearest to Murtagh and farthest from the Czar, I sway in a silence that is soft like Akeli's down.

image credits

Milo uses selective mutism. It has relatively no effect.

Outcast
akeli

"Murtagh!" she trills, repeating his name excitedly. It thrills her that the child is so animated. It calms any remaining fears, and her amusement further blossoms as he introduces the other colt. Though she has no name to call him by, it doesn't matter. A friend is a friend.

Though, when the nameless colt recoils so harshly, it unsettles her. She does not proceed forward, or cower in response to his behavior. Instead she stands steadily, unwilling to waver and cause further discomfort to the air. It is not a rude response, nor heartless. She watches him retreat, and makes sure she doesn't laugh at the way he tumbles. Though many would find the clumsiness of a startled foal cute, the girl knew that fear was nothing to laugh at. It is then, for the first time, that she notices his malformed extremity, and she does not judge. She waits until he is by the side of those he finds comfort in, and her voice, warm and soft, bubbles forward. "I am sorry," she says, genuine in her remorse, "I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable. I hope you can forgive me." Though young, she seems to have compassion beyond her years. Her mother sculpted her innocence and child-like kindness into something that would grow as she aged instead of wilt. Akeli would be sure to not repeat the mistake, and would respect his space as he so required. 

Golden eyes brighten as the joviality somewhat returns to the air, and she meets the unicorn boy's enthusiasm with matched vigor. "I would love to meet your family! Are there lots of horses? Maybe I can learn from your healers!" Though settling down wasn't the initial plan, she certainly wouldn't say no to meeting others. "Lots of moms are different! My mother was nervous for me to go on my journey, and I miss her a lot, but she wants me to learn lots of stuff. Besides," she leans close, golden eyes twinkling deviously, her next words nearly a whisper, "Now I don't even have a bedtime." 

Follow them home? It was a different route, as she wanted to learn all about the world. Would she still be allowed to explore if she was a member of a herd? She nearly shrugged her narrow shoulders at the thought, knowing if they were too strict she could simply sneak away into the night. But how could she turn away the idea of friends? The young unicorn colt seemed wonderful, and despite his silence, she wished to win the quiet colt's friendship, as well. Well then, it was settled. Her head swings towards the golden King, lips pulled back in an exuberant smile. "Please?" The word is drawn out and irresistible, alive with youth and the expectation for a wonderful adventure. "I promise I'll behave. I just want to learn plenty, and make new friends! And if you are all this nice, I can't imagine how nice everyone is back where you live!"

Certainly the great czar had no idea what he was in for should he accept the young filly into his home. If the children would form a trio of troublemakers, who could blame them? Though they may become thick as thieves or drift apart like the blossoms of a blooming apple tree, there was nothing more exciting that closing the opening chapter of a book, and seeing where the story would take them.
I know I'm going out of order, but at least this way if Kaj accepts, it'll close this thread nicely and Operation: 3 Fallskateers can commence! Also, sorry it's not the greatest. I'm just losing threshold muse ;)
With grace in her heart,
& flowers in her hair.
image credits

@Kaj @Murtagh ~

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

{the stormbringer}
every day I'm cast away, a vagabond
battle born</style>

The silent child sways, skittering away like dry leaves on cracked pavement, something like demons lingering in the corners of his eyes where wrinkles of cheer should lay. His terror as he gazes up at Kaj is palpable, and vile for the Czar to swallow. His eyes leave the nestled bosom buddies near the fire to the flash of light across wet optics, a soft encouraging smile taking place across the frown he wants to let his lips fold into. It would do no good to frighten the child any further. "Are you alright?" It's not as if the babe can answer, but it's a rather rhetorical question regardless. "Be careful," he reminds softly, allowing his ears and eyes to return to Akeli as she speaks to him - both out of respect for her acknowledgement and to keep the shadow of a child from feeling overwhelmed or pressured by Kaj's attention. He remembers how it was to want that layer of invisibility, and he will let it settle like evening shadows across the folds of Milo's warped body, if it will garner any microscopic measure of safety or security for the boy. 

Her name is Akeli, and she is an excitable, precious child. Kaj cannot help but smile fondly down upon her, wondering why the world was so cruel and vacant to those so young. Wondering why it was always he who found these lost and wayward orphans, when he knew he would love and love and love them until their malnourished bodies swelled beneath his affection, only to leave and disappear, never to return or recall the cadence of his name. They broke the heart he used to heal them, and yet he was helpless to turn them away.

"No, I am not king of these particular lands, but I am a king nonetheless. There is a forest to the east called the Hidden Falls, and that is where I rule." The Czar was a gentle and patient tutor, and happily bore the weight of her constant questions. Young minds were generally naturally inquisitive, and he would feed her curiosity readily if it meant he could protect her while she was so clearly alone in the forest. It clearly affects her, as she admits to her loneliness and the smile crests and shatters on her young face. Kaj sighed softly and tilted his head in a nod. "Yes, I do get very lonely. But then I look to my herd, and remind myself that I'm not alone, even if I feel like it." A white lie if there ever was one, but the life of a ruler was different. Removed. Kaj tilted his muzzle towards those gathered around her.

"Just as you were lonely, but now you are surrounded by new friends." Kind blue eyes crinkle at the edges with a smile. Murtagh is quick to jump in, a recruiter born and bred if there ever was one, and Akeli is even quicker to beg Kaj for his approval. A deep belly laugh escapes him in response, amused by the interaction. 

"Of course you may come home with us. The head Healer is my best friend, I can introduce you if you'd like?" She had mentioned learning the healing arts after all. Whether or not she would really return home, or if her mother had abandoned her with false lies...only time would tell. "Come, it's a long journey. We best get started."

- - -

Woo! I can post in rank updates for you :)

credit bronzehalo
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!