the Rift

[PRIVATE] Telling Tales

Arah Posts: 343
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Wynter :: Royal Griffin :: Draining Clutch Frostie

:: Arah ::

The mid-day sun beat warmed her back, while the open skies were cold and blue. A gentle breeze was also rolling across the lands, causing chills to tremble down her legs. The last time she stood so close to these lands she'd been dressed for war. This time however she would wait respectfully on the border and wait to be found.
Tilney would not be too happy with her decision to travel, but she felt as if she needed to begin some Philosopher duties as quickly as possible. That way she could begin proving her usefulness to The Edge leaders once again. So she'd gotten up early a few days ago and began a slow and careful journey to The Hidden Falls in order to speak with their storyteller. The exchange of tales was one of the more important parts of her work, many lessons could be taught through the past. The doe had not much had been heard about the current storyteller of The Falls and was extremely interested in who she was and what tales they would exchange today. Indeed the doe had witnessed many magical events and even more wars, battles fought with the very existence of Helovia on the line. It was stories like these she liked to share, stories of war always taught the youngsters the pain and suffering that always accompanied war. Yet the other stories also had value, stories of valour, honesty and courage were not limited to the battlefield. Indeed her personal story of courage was finding the strength to continue after the death of her fist daughters.

Now she had Maude, Tilney, Aelfwine and The Edge to return to. Life had improved, after all Arah had paid her dues for a loving family. Now it was time to work towards a higher position in The Edge.
So, the more stories Arah learnt the better.

Wynter was curled up fast asleep on her back. It never failed to amaze Arah how such a large creature could fold herself into something so small. The griffin was as exhausted as she was but both were well on the road of healing. No doubt the griffin would simply sleep through Arah's meeting with the storyteller, after all the creature had no interest in these kinds of affairs. Wynter was much more of a waring creature, she was territorial and extremely protective of the things she owned, which in Wynter's mind, included Arah. So the Hidden Falls was simply a meaningless trip in the griffin's eyes. She did not even stir when Arah gasped at the beauty before them. The Falls had become a frozen wonderland, the bare foliage frozen and encased in ice. In someway the nature around these parts appeared frozen in time. It was certainly beautiful but the doe did not believe they would offer much protection. Indeed before night fell she would rather be on her way home and quickly back in Tilney's embrace. That thought warmed her enough to hum softly to herself as she approached the border of The Falls.

Tipping her head back she gave a gentle, light hearted call. Hopefully the storyteller would hear her and come, if not she'd hopefully be found by someone who'd be able to lead her towards the one she was seeking.

@Syrena - Urgh, this wasn't the best starting post. Sorry about that!
And I ain't afraid to die, I’m afraid of going to hell.

✽ Force and magic permitted. ✽
✽ No fatal or permanent damage. ✽
✽ Please only tag in opening posts. ✽

Syrena Posts: 207
Dragon's Throat Forger
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 hh :: 7 years
Thelxiepeia :: Royal Rougarou :: Water Kyra

She remembers the invasion, vaguely. She remembers her evening bath being disrupted far more than she remembers the reason behind the invasion, however. Certainly, she does not remember Arah. After all, she barely recognized her own Czarina from the time when the Cadaverous recently appeared in the Threshold. At the time, she hadn’t cared for herd politics, hadn’t cared who ruled the Falls so long as she was allowed to stay and live in the pools as she felt inclined to do.

Truthfully, she still doesn’t entirely care. It’s only by sheer willpower that she has begun to pay attention to these things, realizing that these things that once meant nothing to her were now her own means to becoming something more than a meager, mortal equine. Helovia had stolen her powers first, and bit by bit, had stolen everything she once was. To live here meant becoming someone else entirely, a process that never seemed get easier for her.

Arah might be sadly disappointed to find that the Storyteller of the Falls had very few stories. She had some, having been around this place for a while now. But so much of her early years had been spent wallowing in self-pity that she hadn’t paid attention to the things that might help her now. She found herself looking for reminders, for every bit of information, so much of which she probably should have known. Ah, but this is what she gets for not paying attention then.

The call finds her easily enough. There’s no shelter in the Falls during Frostfall, and therefore, no barrier to the sounds of a stranger on their border either. She hated Frostfall with a vengeance, often leaving if only to seek shelter in some forest or at least, if she was going to freeze, to do so on the beach by the ocean. It’s not like she grew a warm, fuzzy coat with her strange, wet-seal coat. Though she was fuzzier than she used to get.

Slowly, she makes her way through the snow, not in a rush but at least, answering the call without too much delay. It’s not long before the pearl-colored mare with antlers sprouting from her head and a griffin curled on her back. As far as Helovia goes, the mare was rather plain, though beautiful. Syrena was mostly gray, as usual, though her legs swirled with greens and blues and purples where they plowed through the snow. “Hello, I’m Syrena. Can I help you?” Her voice is deadpan as always, though the sound of it is like a lullaby. A remnant from her days as a siren, from the songs she used to sing. Her face, like her voice, is impassive, though none of it seems unfriendly. Rather, she simply knows no other way. What point is there to pretty smiles when she has no use for victims anymore?

les words "chat chat"

Syrena

let the water take me

image credits

@Arah

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Reli

Arah Posts: 343
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Wynter :: Royal Griffin :: Draining Clutch Frostie

:: Arah ::
When they were finally approached, Wynter gave out a cry in greeting and Arah turned her golden gaze upon the one who approached. The mare was dark grey, despite cold her coat appeared to be wet. Then Arah's gaze flittered down to the colours upon the mare's legs, the different shades swirled around with greens and blues and purples. Nodding a greeting, the doe appreciated the dark mare coming over through the snow, braving the cold. "Syrena, it's a pleasure." Arah tested the pretty name on her tongue, recognising it as the name that had been mentioned by other members of the wise ranks. Yes, she believed that this mare was indeed the storyteller of the falls. "Yes, I believe you can help me as I've actually come looking for you." The doe stated with a matter of fact tone.

If she could expand her resources and had more stories to share she would be a valuable asset to her herd, able to serve them more dutifully. The prospect both excited her and made her feel a stronger sense of belonging. If she was able to benefit her herd, even if only slightly, then she had a purpose to remain aside from just her family. "You are the Storyteller of The Falls?" She questioned, though it sounded much more like a statement. "I've come to ask for a lesson." Eyeing the mare with a hopeful smile she elaborated, "an exchange of stories as well." She'd not yet shared that many stories with her herd, she looked forward to doing more lessons with the youngsters in the future and telling more stories to the entire herd.

She's been a member of The Edge for quite some time now, she'd quite like to climb the ranks and perhaps eventually serve directly under the lady moon herself. The doe did not feel like she was betraying Alune for thinking this way, it was the way the ranks worked. It was how Helovia and each individual herd progressed, if she became the better candidate. Still, before she was even remotely close to earning such an important rank she had to top up her bank of stories and be taught more about the rank. That was why she was here today, to request a lesson and be told more stories. "If you have the time, of course." Arah concluded, not wanting to be assumptive. If the mare was too busy to teach her today she'd be happier to return at an assigned date. That way she'd defiantly be home in time to check on Maude before sending her off to settle in for the night. She'd also be there to look after Tilney, even with his lantern she still worried about him moving around at night. Whatever suited the mare would work for her, she was willing to fit into the mare's timetable.

@Syrena
And I ain't afraid to die, I’m afraid of going to hell.

✽ Force and magic permitted. ✽
✽ No fatal or permanent damage. ✽
✽ Please only tag in opening posts. ✽

Syrena Posts: 207
Dragon's Throat Forger
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 hh :: 7 years
Thelxiepeia :: Royal Rougarou :: Water Kyra

She can’t quite describe how pleased she is that someone knows her by name. Yes, they know she’s the Storyteller of the Falls and nothing more, but it was a start. It was more than she expected. She assumed no one knew the name of the Storyteller here – just that it wasn’t the Mountain That Knows anymore. Her pleasure almost turns into a grin. Almost. Certainly, her features soften just a bit, and she might even look vaguely welcoming.

“I am,” she says, confirming what the other mare already seems to know. Trying rather hard not to preen with delight at being known, even for something so small as her title. “Sure,” is her simple answer when the mare finishes her request. She steps aside, letting the pale, antlered mare into the Falls if she wished. Syrena is terrible with small talk, but she’s okay with gestures. It is not hard for her to offer a tour, or to step aside politely, or to show with her actions what she lacks in words and emotions.

“I’m rather new to the Wise One ranks, though. I am not sure there’s much I can offer that you may not already know. But I can certainly try.” Her all her faults, this too, is a strength (in some regards). She does not lie, and she does not bullshit. She won’t waste the mare’s time pretending to know more than she does. Though sometimes, she probably ought to lie. It’s not like she didn’t know how to twist words, didn’t know how to weave a pretty tale to lure you in. It’s what she did in her life before Helovia, it’s how she survived. It just seems so pointless now when the lie serves no end.

“May I ask your name? And did you have a particular topic in mind?” She asks, nodding her head and leading the pretty little mare and her companion into the ice and snow laden herd. It was rather barren in Frostfall – the leaves shed from the trees, replaced by icicles. Some of the smaller ponds have frozen over, though the rivers and the ponds beneath the waterfalls still churn with the power of the herd’s namesake. She is thankful for the ever present water in this kingdom, but she is not thankful for the cold. Still, despite the quiet and desolate nature of Frostfall here, there is something lovely about the Earth God’s land even now. She has come to appreciate it in a way that surprises her some days, honestly. She has come to appreciate a lot of things lately though, and that too surprises her.

Maybe she can change.

les words "chat chat"

Syrena

let the water take me

image credits

@Arah

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Reli