the Rift

[PRIVATE] hit me with an encore

Mordecai Posts: 77
Aurora Basin Mare atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 3 years HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
ali

Being alone wasn't all that bad. In fact, Mordecai quite enjoyed spending hours, or days, or even weeks by herself. She definitely didn't miss Rikyn and his sarcastic remarks or Duir and his frightened eyes ... or so she told herself. In reality she had enjoyed their company and teaching the unicorn stallion Dothraki, even if his tongue was foolish and clumsy when it came to forming the words, which he would never admit to. The man was a perfectionist and she was pretty positive that he thought everything he did was perfect even if it wasn't.

Honestly, though, she hadn't meant to be gone as long as she was. She'd just needed a break from Rikyn, but a couple of hours turned into a few days, which turned into weeks, and eventually she completely lost track of time. When she finally went back to the cave he was long gone, but that was no surprise. Frostfall had disipated, Birdsong had come and gone, and now Tallsun was well underway. The incessant heat reminded her of the Dragon's Throat and there was a strange feeling in the pit of her stomach, but she wasn't sure if it was longing, homesickness, or annoyance.

Searching the cave one last time for Rikyn prooved to be a waste of time, and she squinted against the bright sunlight as she rejoined the world above ground. Even in the dark coolness of the cave she had still managed to work up a sweat. It lathered her sides and under her wings, and under the thick, heavy blanket of her mane -- a near perfect reminder of why she hated Tallsun and could barely tolerate the Dragon's Throat. She wasn't the cleanest mare, but she hated being covered in sweat, especially when it dried and stuck to her coat.

Her head dipped down and she pawed at the loose sand that surrounded the area around the caves. It wasn't water,  but it would serve it's purpose well enough. A quick glance around was enough to assure herself that there was no threat close by. Her legs folded as she lowered herself to the ground and began to roll. Her wings flapped and her legs flailed and, from far away, she probably looked as though she were severely injured. By the time she was finished sand coated her sides, legs, neck, and even the side of her face. The magpie stood, shook the loose sand from her coat and meandered away from the cave.

"."

Translation:

MORDECAI

maybe life is nothing more than a curse inside the blessed
i'll fight this bloody war with every strangled breath
credits

@Rikyn
the emptiness that we confess in the dimmest hour of day
in Automatown they make a sound like the low sad moan of prey

Rikyn the Puppeteer Posts: 549
Aurora Basin Lord atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 4 HP: 70 | Buff: SWIFT
Duir :: Royal Cerndyr :: Earth Spirit Bunnie

ЯIKYN

Not sure why I’m still coming out here, other than I do, I especially am concerned with the cleverness of my decision now that the Sun is high overhead, and the cool breezes of the north ease out into the dry, steady gusts of the south. I hate sand. I had learned to pretend like I didn’t hate it that much when I’d spend all that time down in the caves with Mordecai, and the other hours I’d whittled away meandering aimlessly across its red face. Ultimately, however, I disliked it.

It was dry, hot, gritty, and over all a shit place to decide to be. There is nothing here in this stupid wasteland for me but the memory of disaster and loss, anyway, unless one counts the countless friction burns from all the sand settling into your crevices. I’m about to go back north, mad at myself for even being here, when I see her.

My heart does that weird thing it used to do when I’d see Xynia coming towards me in the Nightwalk, the thing that hurts and feels wonderful all at the same time, but with Mordecai, it’s more intense, not the childish lust which had clenched at my naïve being when I’d been with the silver-grey fillies. Stopping, dead in my tracks, I stare at her belly, unrounded, like Glacia’s, and only the smallest flicker of relief moves through me, before it is drowned out by desperate, impotent anger.

It’s a sword I can’t wield. I never told her the importance of what we shared, after all, and, now that I think about it, perhaps it was obvious that it hadn’t been as tender a notion to her as it was to me. I’d been gentle and slow, in all the ways she had been driven, and forthright. I had been a fool, and felt equally foolish caring for her, in all the ways she did not care for me.

"Et ei nihzo oveth hezhahat athhilezar?" I ask, quite smoothly, hiding all the insecurities and anger I have behind a proud, cold smile. Having had time to practice the inquiry in my head, though my accent is probably still shit, the words are right, and clever, for once. "I looked for you, you know."

[ Translation: Do all ravens fly great distances after sex? ]
Also I'm obsessed with these tables so ;_;

call me a safe bet
I'm betting I'm not

Art by VeerDesigns@DA | Table by Me

@Mordecai

Wishlist - Plots

Force/violence is allowed to be used on Rikyn permitted it does not permanently maim or kill him (PM me!).

ali

Rikyn's voice made the mare stop dead in her tracks. She stood still as a statue, the only movement was one of her ears rotating back in his direction. Then she turned and looked back over her shoulder at Rikyn, her dark eyes critical, but her expression otherwise expressionless. Did all ravens fly great distances after sex? He must have been proud of himself for having such a witty remark, but his tongue was still clumsy when it came to forming the Dothraki words. "Vo." She finally answered, her body swinging around so she could stand facing the stallion. "Anha akkelenat ifat."

Mordecai was not one to place any kind of significant emotions on the act of sex. Was it fun? Yes. Was it pleasurable? Hell yes. Did it mean you loved the one you were having sex with? Absolutely not. The fact that Rikyn might have placed any kind of emotion on what they had done had not even crossed the raven's mind, nor had it crossed her mind that she might have been his first. So when he admitted that he had searched for her she stood staring at him, her gaze just a tad more critical than it had been a few seconds before.

Yes, she had searched for him. But it was not because she felt any kind of strong emotional attachment to him. He was good company, she enjoyed teaching him her language.

...and she liked his companion.

"I came back here." She said, her head tilting slightly to the side. "You were already gone." Ever since leaving the Dragon's Throat she hadn't been one to stay in one place for long. She liked to travel and see everything that Helovia had to offer. With the amount of time that Rikyn had spent with her she would have thought he'd have figured that out. Obviously he hadn't, and she suspected he was trying to elicit some feeling of guilt in her for disappearing.

Did it work? No.

"Where have you been?" She finally asked, and thought about finally commenting on his Dothraki, then decided against it. For now.

"."
Translation:
Vo - No
Anha akkelenat ifat - I decided to walk.

MORDECAI

credits

@Rikyn

ЯIKYN

No, she says, only bothering to turn around to really look at me when she speaks, that she decided to walk.

It hurts, I don’t know why, but I do know that I don’t want it to, so I pretend that it doesn’t. My neck still stiffens, though, and my jaw clenches, the gold of my eyes hardening, and for a while, I just look at her, wondering:

Why does it bother me so much that she doesn’t seem to care that its been months?

Why didn’t she care, if that was true?

Was it… me?

Is it because I… Do I…

No, Duir answers for me, you don’t love her.

I hide the softness that aches in my heart with metaphorical steel blades and armor. Like a knife, I rise up from my thoughts to retort to her, when she asks where I’ve been, with every ounce of frustration I’ve bottled up since I’d come back here, actually needing her, and she’d been gone, leaving me alone, becoming fuel for the dark rage which had flooded me in my loss. Maybe it wasn’t fair, to place all these burdens on her; maybe I should have sought out Erebos, and placed my weary heart with him, but, dammit…

I wanted just one woman I could rely on. Were they all fake, like she is, like my mother, like Xynia - all of them? Snakes, soft and supple, inch by inch, coiling about your legs and heart, until they slithered away, or struck out with poisoned fangs? Fuck that. If she can lash out with her hollowed fangs, so can I, even if her venom is the only one which burns as it courses through veins, she being the only one of us so naturally cold blooded; a girl like Mordecai might just be immune to poisons all together.

"My dad died," and Deimos, almost the same day, I answer her, coldly, because if I don’t, I’ll start saying things that only little boys can muster without feeling like little bitches. Even now, there is mockery on her face, like she sees me floundering and she condemns me for it. She doesn’t ever just apologize. She always passes the blame back to me, bound neatly with a ribbon. I want to blow the package into bits, and throw the smithereens in her face, but don’t – I know better than to yell at her. Girls like Mordecai definitely get physical, fast, on all levels. "And I had to deal with the resurrected Rift assholes situation, of course. Oh, yeah, and I became Lord of the Basin. Fucking you was less important I guess."

I drop my head, wondering when I learned to talk about those activities with something less than reverence, or coy allusion; had it been when one of my last, meager roots binding me to this world had withered, culled by a fell swipe of one of his contraptions? Or had it been when I’d come back, to find my pretty raven gone, and myself, again made the fool for having believed anyone would be there to comfort me in the first place?

Nothing was sacred in this world. Not trust, not love, not hope, not a damn concept that I’d been promised as a child that would make this life worthy of the suffering it held had been allowed to belong to me, for anything more than just long enough for it to hurt when it was taken away.

Nothing.

call me a safe bet
I'm betting I'm not

Wishlist - Plots

Force/violence is allowed to be used on Rikyn permitted it does not permanently maim or kill him (PM me!).

ali

His dad died?

Mordecai's head tilted a fraction more, her eyes narrowing as she wondered what that had to do with anything. She had lost a parent when she was a newborn, but from what she remembered and what she had been told it had not been a major loss. Her life had hung in the balance and when it came down to it she'd rather her mother be dead than herself.  She did, however, have a decent relationship with her father, even if she couldn't remember the last time she had seen him. And she had a strained relationship with her stepmother. She hadn't seen the bay mare since they had fought and she'd turned her blood to acid.

Still, she didn't understand the sadness when it came to the death of a parent. In the end everyone had to die sometime, no one lived forever. Not even immortals -- there was always a way to kill them, you just had to figure it out. But the death of his father seemed to have had a strong effect on Rikyn, even if he was being cold about it. He wouldn't have brought it up if it was unimportant.  That assumption was made even more concrete when he continued on about the Rift and becoming Lord of the Basin.

"Fucking you was less important, I guess."

Her magic flickered to life, but she stamped it down and kept it at bay even though she really wanted to turn every drop of his blood into acid that would burn through him and leave him writhing. For the first time she was trying to keep her temper at bay because even though she didn't want to, she liked Rikyn well enough.

"Anha zin...." then she paused, a look of concentration on her face as she tried to find the right word. "Sorry." She concluded when she came up empty. "I am sorry that your dad died." Even if she still didn't understand why it was so important or why it mattered so much. "And for leaving." Though she wasn't sure why that would have bothered Rikyn, either, considering they had both been outcasts.

That flicker of anger, and the desire that she'd had to use her magic on him died away when he dropped his head and looked down. She didn't want to care about his feelings, wanted to say fuck your feelings, but she still cared. Maybe it was because they had spent so much time cooped up together during Frostfall that she had started to see him more as a friend than a student or roommate. "Anha ki ojil."

"."
Translation:
Anha zin - I am
Anha ki ojil - i was wrong

MORDECAI

credits

@Rikyn

ЯIKYN

Anger flares to life in her expression, over what I perceive as cold lack of concern for my loss, not understanding that, for some, the concept of death wasn’t sad at all, merely a fact of life, or a cheerful passage into a greater beyond. I held to much importance on the things I had now, the power I had attained, the items I wore, and the relationships that I had forged; I was narrow mindedly focused on the now, unwilling, or unable, to think of death as much more than something to be avoided, mourned, or praised, depending on who it was affecting.

I raise my own magic as I watch her metaphorical bristles lift, and, unlike her, I don’t let it slip away, wary of having her try to hurt me at random, as she has done spitefully before. What was the old saying? Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me?

Yeah, I will not be the one taking any sort of blame around here for Mordecai being a bitch.

I almost drop it, though, when she throws out her most shocking action as to date: she apologizes. An ear lifts forward in hope while the other stubbornly lays back, insisting it’s a trick, and even when she returns to her native tongue, a proclaims that she was wrong, I remain guarded. Staring at her, head still lowered, my eyes narrow as I wonder whether or not I should trust her, and believe that she means it.

My mother was the sort to say sorry if it won her something, such as my forgiveness. Was my company such a prize, to the desert raven? Or was I just a toy, after all, leaving her little room to lie and manipulate me?

Or… was she truly sorry? Somehow, I doubt that. She’ll probably just leave me again, I tell myself, but quietly say out-loud, instead:

"Yeah, me too," I tell her, remembering what I’d asked of Glacia (who doesn’t know of Mordecai, or vice versa, I suddenly recall, guiltily); it wasn’t fair of me to expect anyone else to be more than they were, either. So what if the girl I’d given myself and all my moral convictions to wound up being a heartless tramp?

I should have known that was who she was from the beginning. She, unlike me, had never pretended to be more than she was – probably not for anyone, especially not some morally conflicted virgin boy she’d seduced in a fire-lit cavern. She’d never asked me to give her my promised eternity with the First Gods, a tryst broken the moment I’d shared a coupling with her.

I just did, and I’d enjoyed it, and there was no going back now.

"Laz kisha... evo saav?" I sigh in horrible Dothraki, meeting her eyes, with a tilted grin, trying my best to let go of the icy resentments I feel towards her, "I’ve got my very own land full of much more private caves now, after all."

[ Translations: Laz kisha evo saav? – Can we start again? ]

call me a safe bet
I'm betting I'm not

Wishlist - Plots

ali

The expression on Rikyn's face and hos body language seemed to suggest that he was unsure of the merit of her apology. Truth be told, Mordecai was just as unsure of whether or not she meant what she said. She had never met Rikyn's father and had never formed any kind of relationship with the elder stallion. Chances were he was just as much, if not more, of an ass than his son was. Still, her apology seemed to calm Rikyn down enough that the threat of a fight breaking out between the two of them seemed less likely .... not that she was scared of fighting him. In fact, she was pretty sure that a fight would be almost as entertaining as some of the other activities they'd done together.

"Yeah, me too."

Mordecai stared, unsure of what to say to Rikyn's half-assed apology. Honestly she wasn't even sure what he was apologizing for, or if he meant it ... but in the end it didn't really matter. Silence stretched between them, then, and it was the uncomfortable sort that made her skin crawl. Every instinct she had suggested that she turn and walk away because they had said everything they needed to say, but her cloven hooves remained firmly planted where they were, and her dark gaze remained fixed on Rikyn's face as she waited for something more.

It came in the form of Dothraki and, even though the pronunciation wasn't entirely correct, she still appreciated the effort he put forth. "Sek." She answered, simply enough. Yes. Even though he often frustrated her beyond measure he was still someone that seemed to be ever present in her life, even when she hadn't wanted him to be. He was frustrating, annoying, obnoxious, and a slew of other negatives, but he was still her friend. When had that happened? "Kifindirgi avvos kisha elat tihat kishi cave ato nakhok kashi?" She suggested, a coy smile curving her lips in a suggestive way.

"."
Translation:
kifindirgi avvos kisha elat tihat kishi cave ato nakhok kashi?Anha ki ojil - why don't we go visit our cave one last time?

MORDECAI

credits

@Rikyn

ЯIKYN

There is always this awkward silence between us, filled with tensions both sexual, and truly dangerous. Is that why I’m drawn to her, to look deep into her black eyes that reflect the world beyond her walls, and feel my blood pressure rise, and my heart thud thud all the more fiercely within my heart? Or is it that she was forbidden? That part of me wondered what I would really be losing, if I didn’t get to walk among the star fields forever, and instead became the stars themselves.

Was that really losing, at all?

I can’t know that I’m just a friend, though, perhaps, I should assume; the implications, though, that she does what she does with me with all her friends, well… that says too much about my decision making. I try not to dwell on anything that makes me feel bad about myself, or sorry for the life I have been given for too long.

‘Sek,’ she says, and my ears lift hopefully, a smile rising across my lips, glad that the icy wall that had until now been erected between us is seems to thaw. What she says next takes me longer to understand; many of the words are large, and several I’ve never heard, so I’m left grasping at root words and context clues for their meaning. Its her smile that ultimately seals the deal, as well as the common word interspersed within it.

I almost comment that Dothraki seems to be missing many words to be a language, but the pang in my groin that is inspired by her now quite alluring gaze inspires a more purposed me to reply, instead.

"Come on then," I chuckle with an eager, sideways smirk, gesturing with my horn towards its mouth, waiting for her to go before me, to playfully nip at her haunches as she passes (she can kick me if she wants, I guess), "which branch of the cavern this time?"

I ask (the usual inquiry), as I follow down after her.

[ OOC: Basin thread meow? ]

call me a safe bet
I'm betting I'm not

@Mordecai

Wishlist - Plots