the Rift

[OPEN] Cantoluna || Open

Destrier Posts: 180
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.3hh :: 16 HP: 65.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Suli :: Common Green Dragon :: Fire Breath & Merlin :: Plain Black Dragon :: Frost Breath Dingo
Destrier

I found myself lost in tumultuous thought as I picked my way through my home. My mind was plagued with worry for my beloved home and the threats that had recently been presented towards it, such as the Assassins, two of which I had stopped from venturing any further into the World's Edge and gathering valuable information. Of course, I had not known of the group at the time, nor had the others; they had simply wished to shoo the insolent yearling that dared strike out at one of our own members, and I had stood proudly at the side of my brothers until they had taken their leave.

But in light of recent events, it seemed that the group was no longer a threat towards our members nor our land. My thoughts had quickly drifted from the Assassins to more internal problems, such as the mess that my family had become. My children, as well as myself, had all fallen into despair at Tor's departure. Her explanation had been short as to where exactly she was going, and it had pained me to no end not to hold her back, and demand more information from the pale draft that I had managed to fall for. Yes, she had returned by now, showing her face out of the blue at a herd meeting nonetheless. Her sudden appearance had surprised me, causing my muscles to tense in an awkward manner. I was happy to see her back and well, with a smile upon her face, but I couldn't help but feel somewhat betrayed. It was obvious that my children held similar feelings towards their mother, and while I didn't enjoy knowing that fact, I found myself unable to blame them.

Despite the recent negativities in my life, there had been good points, too. The Dragonheart's tournament had many pining for the open positions as Captains, as I had always known them to be called, except here they were described as Wingleaders. I held enough confidence in my own abilities to enter the competition myself, and while it had been trying at times, I was happy to have defeat my first opponent, Smoke, and eventually come out with the very title of a Wingleader. I had not come out unscathed, however. My left shoulder was still bare of hide in some places, but it was slowly beginning to grow back. The fire produced by Smoke's dragon often left me sore on the most bitter mornings, and I was certain it would become a scar in time, a constant reminder of the things I had put myself through to get to where I was now. I was gracious of my new title, and would be sure to uphold it with dignity and respect to my brothers in arms, although I would have done the same regardless of receiving the title or not in the end.

As I walked along the cliff-side, I breathed a gentle sigh, and tried to wash the myriad of thoughts from my head. Instead, I tried to focus on the things around me. While some might think them mundane, I took joy in admiring the simpler things that were around me each and every day. Drawing myself to a halt, I cast my gaze to the right, looking out across the great sea that surrounded my home. It was dappled in a brilliant assortment of pinks and purples, with an ever present underlay of blue. The sun was just beginning to rise from its bed in the east, casting a golden hue against my pelt as I took in the gorgeous view laid out before me. It reminded me fondly of my home in Valhea, whenever Bran and I would partake in an early morning ride through the mountains. Those times had always been my favorite, for they were free of pain, free of anger, and free of loss...

The thought of Bran caused me to snap out of my musings and shake my head; less than a year had passed since that fateful war when I had lost Bran, that wild haired boy that I had loved so fiercely for so many years. If I could turn back the clock, I would have gladly taken his place in death, for he had so much to live for. As of now, I could not say the same for myself, having two children to watch over and a herd to keep safe. In the back of my mind, I wondered, would Bran be proud of me for my choices, for becoming a militant leader? Or would he be disappointed that I had fled the battle and ended up here, instead of returning to Valhea? I often wondered just why I had left, but those were thoughts better left repressed for now.

I inhaled deeply, barrel expanding before I slowly exhaled it, willing back an onslaught of tears that threatened to well in my chocolate eyes. This was not a day to reflect on the more despondent parts of my life; this was a time to be happy, to rejoice in the new life I had been given, my second chance, and be thankful. Not far behind me rest the shimmering, rock solid egg that had been gifted to me by the faeries of the forest just days ago. I knew not what lay inside the egg, waiting to be freed from its confinement, but I was watching over it with a sharp eye and constantly assuring it's safety and warmth during the cooling days of Orangemoon. Perhaps, if I was lucky, the youngster within could fill the void that had been taken out of my soul the day Tor disappeared from my life.

"Talk."

Credits

You may attack and use magic on Des at any time for any reason.

HP: 66.5

Vikram Posts: 73
World's Edge Skilled Protector
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 19 hh :: 9 years Buff: NOVICE
Kachie
Massive hooves carried the bronzen steed on a winding path along the cliff-side, a ground-bound patrol that usually he would have left to another in favor of patrolling the skies. But fatherhood wrought changes in his behavior, kept him with all four hooves firmly on the ground more often than not. It had not taken very long for the twins to discover his habit of patrols whenever observing their mother manage the subtle politics of the herd grew boring and their hooves grew restless. So he humored them, giving them ample opportunity to find him so as to tag along in his wake and learn the borders one play session at a time.

But today he was alone, a titantic shadow beneath the trees, surprisingly quiet despite his proportions and extraneous limbs. Each fall of his hooves was a muffled thump at most, each stride accompanied by the soft rasping of leathering skin against itself as his wings shifted. But they were subtle noises in a world of subtle noises, lost to the inattentive ear amidst the distant roar of the surf and the rustle of the trees in the wind.

Perhaps not as alone as he'd thought, for his golden eyes alit upon a somewhat familiar figure out on the cliff's edge. Pausing, he considered the lonesome looking stud, dark against the blue sky. Then he shifted out from the trees, approaching with distinct clops as his hooves sounded against the rocks. "Fair morning to you, Destrier." He called, a simple greeting. He paused in his approach as his gaze fell upon a shape that was naggingly familiar. His head bent, muzzle just a breath above the curving shell, sniffing inquisitively at its surface.

An ear twitched in surprised recognition, and a soft crooning sound emanated from his broad chest for a few brief moments before he remembered himself. Lifting his head, the hybrid settled his gaze upon the new wingleader with a new respect. "Not many are honored to guard the unborn of my smallest brethren." He observed, somewhat vaguely but with an unmistakable note of jealous in his deep, rumbling voice.

Destrier Posts: 180
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.3hh :: 16 HP: 65.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Suli :: Common Green Dragon :: Fire Breath & Merlin :: Plain Black Dragon :: Frost Breath Dingo
Destrier

Despite the crashing of the waves far below me, the thrumming of approaching hooves was not lost to my ears. Had it been anywhere else in the land, I might have been quick to whirl on my hocks and face a possible enemy, but the footfalls did not suggest that they came from a foe. After all, this was the World's Edge, and nobody could slip so far past our borders without being noticed.

Craning my neck, my breath was nearly stolen away at the sheer size of my new-found company. In all my days, I had not seen one attain such a height. At his sides were a set of equally massive, leathery wings, much akin to the few dragons I had seen in my time here in Helovia. Behind him trailed a thick, dragon-esque tail, something I again had never seen before. Scales embedded themselves into a copper colored coat, and bony spines that lined his back. Mentally, I shuddered at the thought of what a great opponent this stallion must be in battle. Though, I suppose I have no right to guess rank; it is not my place, not when I barely know him.

I knew him only as Vikram, mated to the great Weyrleader herself. It hadn't been long since my last meeting with her at these very cliffs, and as I recalled the two slumbering fillies not far from the dark mare, it was simple to see just where they had gotten their scales from.

"And to you, Vikram," I speak up, dipping my head in way of greeting. Just as I go to say more, however, my breath hitches as I keep my words held back, and watch quietly as the towering stallion drops his head to the egg I so feverishly protected. It was not that I was worried Vikram would suddenly lift a hoof and put an end to the egg, but simply that I cared very much for the unhatched creature living beyond the thick shell. Suddenly, anxiety welled within my chest; was there something wrong with the egg? Had I caused the youngster inside harm, or not taken good enough care of it? Something Vikram could sense, but not me? With worry I watched the bronze hybrid, and just as I was about to ask if something might indeed be wrong, I was once again cut off.

A breath of relief was given when I took in the expression of my comrade, but what he had said suddenly clicked in my head, and I surely looked a fool as I mulled over his words. 'Brethren...?' For a moment a was quiet, trying desperately to wrap my head around the information I'd just been given. It was obvious what Vikram had meant, yes, but I still hadn't gotten over the fact that dragons and magic were real. Slowly I shifted my gaze from Vikram and down to the egg, which lay only a few feet from me in a thick of grass which sprung from between the rocks. I simply couldn't imagine that of all things, a dragon lay within it.

with a look of astonishment, I drug my gaze from the egg and back to the stallion. "You mean that... there is a dragon within this egg?" The words seem foreign on my tongue, as if I am a foal again asking the most obvious of questions to my mother. I hoped that Vikram wouldn't take my questions the wrong way, for I was merely curious as to what I had truly been given. "How can you be so certain? How... big will it get?"

"Talk."

Credits

You may attack and use magic on Des at any time for any reason.

HP: 66.5

Vikram Posts: 73
World's Edge Skilled Protector
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 19 hh :: 9 years Buff: NOVICE
Kachie
It is not missed, that common reaction to the size and breadth of the bronzen stallion. An ear is tilted outward in the barest sign of the amusement that glowed behind his cat-slitted, golden eyes. At least here, within his home that he had helped found beside his beloved, the reaction was a sign of amazement and awe, bearing nothing of defensive wariness that so often had marred earlier encounters in his life.

That ear twitched again as he noted the anxious hitch and stirr of the other stallion while he gently investigated the egg Destrier guarded. A simple smile was offered in the wake of his observation, eyes watchful as the black stud visibly wrestled with the information the hybrid had imparted. Enormous leathery wings rustled as he partially flexed them before settling against his sides again, waiting patiently for the WingLeader to come to grips with the meaning of what he guarded.

Satisfaction took over from simple patience as that earlier amazement awoke afresh, this time for the egg. A pleased rumble, echoing the crash of the waves below, momentarily escaped Vikram. "Yes. She will be a green." His words were full of certainty, without a trace of doubt. Then he chuckled, a deep and rich sound. "My half-siblings and I all hatched from eggs just like this one, only much, much bigger. Your little girl is of Akaith's kin, and will not grow near as big as our lovely gold." There was an undeniable trace of affection as he spoke of his mate's bonded.

And then he paused, considering. "She will be larger than Zaffre, he is small for one of the common varieties of dragons. Perhaps of a size with Kiba, or larger. Females are usually larger than males, but can vary on individuals." He made comparisons based on dragons he was sure the WingLead had most likely encountered, or at least would know as the more recognizable members of the regular flock.