the Rift

[OPEN] Just Know That I'm Already Home

Destrier Posts: 180
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.3hh :: 16 HP: 65.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Suli :: Common Green Dragon :: Fire Breath & Merlin :: Plain Black Dragon :: Frost Breath Dingo

we are like birds of a feather
we are two hearts joined together
we will be forever as one
my brother under the sun </style>

How long had it been? How many moons had passed since the sun had abandoned us, since wraiths had taken over and plagued the land with sickness? How long had it been since... since I had abandoned my loved ones?

Three seasons had come and gone since I stepped foot out of Helovia. Without a word, I had turned my back on the land I had once fought tooth and nail to protect. Guilt shrouded me like the very darkness that had taken over Helovia, but it hadn't been enough to stop me from returning to my true home of Vallhea. Or... what had once been Vallhea.

What had possessed me to suddenly return was something I had yet to figure out. Grief had always clung to me since that fateful day when the Alrynian's had attacked, striking Bran down and ultimately ending my beloved boy's life; I had always tried to push it behind me and move on, but the more I did so, the harder it became, and perhaps that was the reason I had left. I needed to grieve, to make amends for turning and running that day, for leaving my brothers and sisters to die at the hands of evil.

In short, it hadn't been terribly smart of me to walk so carelessly into the land of Vallhea -- or, Alryne -- as that mistake had cost me three seasons worth of capture by their people. Had it been Bran, or Riven, or any of the other riders I had given my heart to many years ago, then I might have stayed in that once beautiful, mountainous land forever. But the brutal ways of the Alrynian's had ruined that, stripping my home of its natural beauty. They had penned me, attempting to train me in what I already knew and had been taught as a young stallion in Vallhea. For a while, I merely laughed at their attempts, but it took only a week before their tactics had turned barbarous.

Suli had tried to defend me countless times, but I had pleaded to her that she remain out of sight, for should any of the humans lay eye on her and manage to capture her, I knew it spelt nothing but disaster for my best friend.

Ivar, a savage young man, had been assigned to me. I was to be his mount in battle, his loyal servant to always dismiss those brutal blows to my barrel from rusted old spurs... Acting out had only gotten me so far, and Ivar would make certain to get his payback in any way that he could; be it witholding a meal after an exhausting day, more harsh jerks of the bit, or working me three times as hard the following day. But, just a week ago, I had been granted my freedom.

A spat with a neighboring village had ended Ivar, a broadsword through the young man's chest; and while I might have felt remorse for him, a great joy had filled my chest as I galloped away from what had once been my beloved home. To stay would only mean another brutal man upon my back, as well as leaving in the dark those that I loved back in Helovia.

It was with trepidation that I returned, taking in the nearly forgotten scent of the Threshold as I passed through it. The shade of the trees were a blessing across my sweltering black hide, which still ached from an ill-fitting saddle and the many cuts across my barrel. My mouth, too, was victim to a bit set too tight and a hand too rough, but the many insects of Tallsun seemed to be making a playday out of incessantly landing upon my wounds and having their way with them.

But not even those pesky devils, nor a thousands armies, could stop me from reaching the World's Edge today.

I ran as far and as fast as I could, crimped tail streaming behind me like a wildfire as long legs carried me across the land. Suli flew just above me, letting loose a joyous orchestra of trills and chirps that played low in her throat. We didn't make it to the World's Edge until twilight, just as the sun was beginning to descend behind the mighty loblolly pines and the moon was taking her throne in the darkening sky. The sour, but oh-so-sweet aroma of sea salt hit my nose as I reached the borders, filling me with a sense of excitement that I hadn't felt in years. The temptation of rearing upon hindlegs and striking out at the sky, screaming my return to the heavens was strong, but then the thought hit me... What if they didn't want me back? What if the World's Edge I had grown to love and cherish had somehow been driven out, or worse?

For a moment I stood silently, swallowing thickly against the lump that suddenly formed in my throat. Suli had settled upon my nape, her claws clutching at the strands of my mane to secure herself. She had to have sensed my sudden discomfort, my uncertainty to even show my face to those I had abandoned so long ago. 'They will understand,' her soothing voice ebbed into my mind, and beneath her, I gave a long exhale. I wasn't so ready to bet the same, but if I continued to stand here and doubt myself... then I would never find out.

Straightening my posture, I released a call into the wilds of the World's Edge, beckoning the presence of whoever now called it home.

"Speak."

image by blu | table code by tamme

You may attack and use magic on Des at any time for any reason.

HP: 66.5

Messages In This Thread
Just Know That I'm Already Home - by Destrier - 06-03-2014, 07:18 PM
RE: Just Know That I'm Already Home - by Dragomir - 06-04-2014, 10:19 AM
RE: Just Know That I'm Already Home - by Luken - 06-06-2014, 06:07 PM
RE: Just Know That I'm Already Home - by Destrier - 06-08-2014, 05:34 PM
RE: Just Know That I'm Already Home - by Dragomir - 06-10-2014, 09:41 AM
RE: Just Know That I'm Already Home - by Luken - 06-11-2014, 06:53 PM
RE: Just Know That I'm Already Home - by Destrier - 06-21-2014, 06:18 PM
RE: Just Know That I'm Already Home - by Dragomir - 06-29-2014, 02:25 PM
RE: Just Know That I'm Already Home - by Luken - 07-01-2014, 11:48 AM