pain, inhaling love

he coils, he protects
he drapes, and inside
he dies
he's sinking
he's died

ASHAMIN
BEAUTY IS PERCEPTION

The cold winter chill embraced the early evening and touched upon the figure of young Ashamin with an unforgiving kindness. What remained of the buck lay huddled in the shallow shore of the secret grove's waters. Red stained his shaking pelt, flecks of it flung into the water with each shudder and shiver of his form. He lied curled with his hindquarters submerged and his wretched wound--still painful and aching, still spitting blood at the faintest pressure--tainting the water red. The small cuts on his left side where he had been hit by his own fall filled with the heavy chill of the wet pool's floor. His face rested in the mud, his outstretched nose gently reaching for the new, soft, and round orb that the mythical owl had gifted him.

Pain was nearly all encompassing but he thought of the creature that might lay within. Was it truly the deer he had been shown in his mind? The black beauty with the spots of pure white, the creature with the firm stamp of an eye on its forehead? There had been power in that image the owl had sent him, more power than Ashamin thought he had himself--especially now, as he lay with his weak body sinking, his heart and soul seeming to die a slow and regretful death.

Ashamin knew he needed a way to protect and care for the egg, but had no clue how to. Especially now, when he lacked the strength himself to stand on his own four hooves. What was left of him but a battered shell? Torleik had beaten him, ripped through his flesh and left behind two red gashes punctuated by four angry holes that interrupted the once pure white of his hind. And it had all been Ashamin's own fault.

The king himself had said it: a spar was not a fight to the death. Ashamin had, as always, done wrong. And though he had fought back with a fury, now he was confined to the water's cold, forced into numbing himself and fearing he would be cursed with the effects of this injury for the rest of his life. Could he really be a warrior if he was so condemned to failure? He could have moved. Why hadn't he moved?

A slight rippling in the water, the sliver of a fish slowing as it dug into the earth and sought the warmth of a hibernation in mud, stirred against Ashamin's hock and he twitched reflexively, forgetfully lashing his injured tail as he did so and splashing it down on the surface of the water. Pain shot through his stifle, up to his hip and down to his gaskin, no, lower, through his whole suffering leg. He winced and threw his face into the water, exhaling, no, screaming, as he felt the wound rip and the pain flood his being once more.

Why hadn't he moved?

The egg started to roll slowly, settling just at the water's edge and bobbing there by Ashamin's shuddering shoulder. The one fish was joined by a school of others, and their rapid motion muddied the water, mixing red with black. The dirt clouded the image of his injury, but as the silt settled and a few fish swam into Ashamin's side, dirt filled the open cut. Ashamin's flung his features out of the water, letting his outcry ring through the small grove he had discovered in this haze of agony.

Just barely revealed and resting beneath the water's surface, something old and still undiscovered glittered. But Ashamin saw nothing but the red memory of blood and hurt: the endless ache of failure.

Faith, why, why hadn't he moved?

[[For Zahra--set a little ahead of time in Frostfall. This takes place after the egg drop and then after his spar with Torleik. The movement of the fish have stirred the mud and revealed a moon amulet for Ashamin to find when he can focus again. The amulet was gifted OOC.]]
Beauty is Perception by FoxyFireWings
Table by Jen, with help from Avis

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.
All magic and force allowed, barring death and permanent injury.
Do not tag me, please message on skype instead

Messages In This Thread
Bury Me in these Waters - by Ashamin - 05-31-2015, 02:15 AM
RE: Bury Me in these Waters - by Zahra - 06-10-2015, 01:12 AM
RE: Bury Me in these Waters - by Ashamin - 06-10-2015, 09:48 AM
RE: Bury Me in these Waters - by Zahra - 06-11-2015, 01:01 AM
RE: Bury Me in these Waters - by Ashamin - 06-11-2015, 05:47 PM
RE: Bury Me in these Waters - by Zahra - 06-11-2015, 10:02 PM
RE: Bury Me in these Waters - by Ashamin - 06-11-2015, 11:10 PM
RE: Bury Me in these Waters - by Zahra - 06-12-2015, 02:28 AM
RE: Bury Me in these Waters - by Ashamin - 06-12-2015, 07:46 AM
RE: Bury Me in these Waters - by Zahra - 06-12-2015, 04:43 PM