the Rift

Tips for Writing Male Characters

Albrecht Posts: 249
Aurora Basin Impersonator atk: 6 | def: 8.5 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1hh :: 19 (Orangemoon) HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Strom :: Suma Ball Python :: None Townsen
/latetotheparty

I'm one of the few sticks in the mud around here that doesn't play multiple characters, so I understand wanting to try something different just for the sake of trying something different, but I personally find it impossible to write a character that I don't match up with well - and I don't mean matching up personality-wise so much as emotionally for that specific period of time in my life.

Some characters you can let time and experience change a little bit at a time, just like we do, and some characters are really inflexible to the point where you (or I, at least) have to stop playing them when those two emotional states don't line up or at least overlap anymore. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, and maybe that's a part of why it feels so difficult for you to write something other than your usual?

I'm one of those people that writes what comes to me and what feels good at the time, and I think that's what writing SHOULD be, since it's a hobby and supposed to be cathartic and fulfilling and all that. So my answer for finding males so difficult to write - to the point where it seems to be taxing and you're losing the drive to do it at all - would be to take a break. Find a character you feel really GOOD writing and just stay with them for an extended period of time. Get comfortable. Don't think that having a niche for writing makes you any less interesting or any less amazing a person and author. Let that niche take the stress and the annoyance and the disappointment away, and when you feel yourself changing a little bit from who you were yesterday, try again! You might have a completely different reaction.

I have to admit that I personally find males easier to write, so this entire comment may be supremely unhelpful and I apologize if it is. I'm very much not traditionally feminine, not in attitude, priorities, sexual preference, or career, so maybe that makes my advice kind of forfeit, but I hate to see people make what they love into a job. You don't have to prove yourself or your characters to anyone. You don't have to meet anyone else's criteria. They're for you. <3

[Image: 56c616e54affc]Rated M, R, NC-17, AO, 18+, NSFW
Tag dat azz!  @Albrecht
Violence & Magic okay.
Wish - Away - OOC

Messages In This Thread
Tips for Writing Male Characters - by Brit - 11-12-2016, 02:21 PM
RE: Tips for Writing Male Characters - by Roskuld - 11-12-2016, 02:31 PM
RE: Tips for Writing Male Characters - by Odd - 11-12-2016, 02:37 PM
RE: Tips for Writing Male Characters - by Mauja - 11-12-2016, 03:02 PM
RE: Tips for Writing Male Characters - by Roskuld - 11-12-2016, 03:07 PM
RE: Tips for Writing Male Characters - by Blu - 11-12-2016, 03:11 PM
RE: Tips for Writing Male Characters - by Brit - 11-12-2016, 04:35 PM