the Rift

[OPEN] Little fish, big pond

Rikyn the Puppeteer Posts: 549
Aurora Basin Lord atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 4 HP: 70 | Buff: SWIFT
Duir :: Royal Cerndyr :: Earth Spirit Bunnie
Яikyn
Some sort of more comprehensible gibberish makes its way forth; it sounds like words, but ones I don’t know. Like Dothraki, when Mordecai speaks it too fast, or uses words which are not at all like ones we’ve used before. Suddenly silent and looking at her with a gong rebounding its noise through my head, because obviously that’s what’s up with her, get your shit together, brother…

Really though, what language is that? Glumly trying to gesture towards the shore now, filled with the grim knowledge that I’m in for a pantomiming each time I meet with this new arrival, if her Noah is not present. Thankfully, she’s smart; her gaze moves towards the intended shore, and with a newfound purpose, she makes her way there, ungainly in the water.

Don’t parents teach their kids to swim? I wonder. Sure, it wasn’t easy, especially not compared to a hound’s capability in water, but it was a common thing in the summer here, to see foals leaping into the blue lake, lips bubbling with laughter. Mother had encouraged it to build strength.

She had almost always discouraged fun. That had a time and a place, she liked to say; I’d just wanted to tell her to take her lessons and shove it.

As she gladly makes her way to the shore, I rise out of the water with her, both of us parting a casual distance to shake the water away; the knotted mass of my mane makes its usual riot of noise against my neck before it again settles into still silence. Looking at her as she speaks, I take in that she had tried to fly, and had not succeeded. Figuring its good the lake broke her fall then, I try to smile the sort of smile I think I should to help ease her wounded pride.

"I'm sure you'll fly soon," I tell her, and add a joke, making gestures to the objects which best define what I'm talking about, to hopefully link my common words to the physical things which they represent (it's how I've been learning Dothraki, after all, aside from practice), "the lake will catch you until then."

Can’t feel good, to be a bird that cannot reach their preferred places, after all. Not that I’d know, really. I try to not let myself think about what it would be like to be able to fly all that much, because it makes me think about Aelin, Aithniel, and Mordecai, and the fact that they are, in that way (some of them in many more), as unattainable as clouds, stars, or wind.

"Lord Rikyn," I answer from where I stand, letting her close the distance between us if she wants. I say my name slowly, before I ask (having not learned it during our first, uh, encounter), "who are you?"

in every heart a hole
Image Credit

@Nora

Wishlist - Plots

Force/violence is allowed to be used on Rikyn permitted it does not permanently maim or kill him (PM me!).

Messages In This Thread
Little fish, big pond - by Nora - 04-24-2017, 11:06 PM
RE: Little fish, big pond - by Rikyn - 04-28-2017, 11:04 AM
RE: Little fish, big pond - by Nora - 05-16-2017, 11:59 AM
RE: Little fish, big pond - by Rikyn - 05-18-2017, 10:56 AM
RE: Little fish, big pond - by Nora - 06-11-2017, 01:46 PM
RE: Little fish, big pond - by Rikyn - 06-13-2017, 10:19 AM