the Rift

[PRIVATE] talent optional [FESTIVAL PREP]

Rikyn the Puppeteer Posts: 549
Aurora Basin Lord atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 4 HP: 70 | Buff: SWIFT
Duir :: Royal Cerndyr :: Earth Spirit Bunnie
Rikyn

In the northlands of my sire and his kin, it is the Skalds who lead warriors into battle, keep time their stamping hooves, and fill their hearts with vigor; it was their task, also, to witness the deeds of those who could not return to boast, and to immortalize them in song.  Few were more praised among the bearded men and sturdy women of that far away land I had never seen more than the Skalds – or so I’d been told, by the tall, strong men of that land who had helped raise me.

My Uncle Torleik, in particular, was called the Bloodskald, by those of my father and he’s native land, and, eventually, by those here, too.  What I know of the battle-song, and the honor that is to be had in being able to lift one’s voice in tribute to Gods and one’s people, I mostly learned from him, though my father had certainly answered a question or two.

Memories of him rise to mind without being asked as I cross by certain places in this valley, because, though I’d spent little time with him, those moments that we had shared stand out poignantly in my memory, and there are things a-hoof which bring his profession to mind.  Torleik was dignified, and wise, the sort of man who had been born to lead, and use his words to guide others, even if those words were sometimes tempered with his emotions.  It was what made a good story teller, though, a true Skald; the ability to wield words with impact was synonymous with relying on one’s feelings. 

Perhaps this was why I was no warrior bard, like many of my family were, if their tales of the northern lands they’d come from were true.  Though I had inherited their robust singing voices, skillful timing, and deep lungs, I was definitely not the sort of dude who kept his heart anything at all like what others deemed “accessible.”

I did know some old songs, though, ones I’d gleaned from my mother’s lips, and the women of the Nightwalk; songs I’d overheard others reveling in while they thought no one was listening, too.  With Tallsun’s time ebbing down, Orangemoon is sure to arrive, and with it, the first Lordly task I’m not all together dismally upset about partaking in.

A party, for my home and God!  There will surely be women folk there, and if the batting lashes I’ve seen at other vocally blessed gentlemen is any promise, Glacia will be one jealous lady by the end of that fantastic night.  The Festivals of my foal hood had, almost always, been an utter delight to participate in.

I’d selected one other to join Duir and I; I’d heard enough of Nimue’s whale song to know she was adept enough had holding a tune to be relied upon.  That left only my buck as a potential upset, but I didn’t figure he could muss up too bad, so long as I set him to percussion, and told him to keep his heinous singing to himself (it sounds very much like a woman screaming, but he doesn’t seem to care).  Regardless, I hope that one or both of them is already there, and, unfortunately, as I breast the hillock towards our designated meeting place, the whale, or Tiamat, are not here waiting for me.

Sighing as I set down Duir’s short, hollowed log, the buck eagerly begins beating on it with a sizeable oak stick he’s trundled along with him as we walked.

Nimue know we here now! he delights, thoroughly enjoying music already, despite the lack of rhythm or eloquence to his erratic swings with the oaken branch make on the sun dried bark.

[ OOC: We gonna practice some songs friends. :D  Felix, feel free to have Rhodoc "wander" up to the meeting on accident or I can add in Rikyn asking him to come after overhearing him humming or something if you'd like that more. ;D  Just let me know!  Anyone else who would like to last minute learn some music or join the band for the Festival is also welcome. ]

Coding by Tamme - Image by Dingo

Wishlist - Plots

Force/violence is allowed to be used on Rikyn permitted it does not permanently maim or kill him (PM me!).

Messages In This Thread
talent optional [FESTIVAL PREP] - by Rikyn - 04-28-2017, 07:48 AM
RE: talent optional [FESTIVAL PREP] - by Rhodoc - 05-06-2017, 10:00 PM
RE: talent optional [FESTIVAL PREP] - by Rikyn - 05-08-2017, 09:43 AM
RE: talent optional [FESTIVAL PREP] - by Rhodoc - 05-08-2017, 02:13 PM
RE: talent optional [FESTIVAL PREP] - by Rikyn - 05-09-2017, 11:32 AM