the Rift

[PRIVATE] the stars will be your eyes [birth]

Mordecai Posts: 77
Aurora Basin Mare atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 3 years HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
ali

Upon the realization that she was pregnant, carrying the child of Rikyn, Mordecai had made herself scarce. Her first reaction was anger at him for getting her pregnant. At herself for allowing it. At everyone for simply being alive and breathing the same air she breathed while she grew heavier and fatter. 

Then it was fear, rooted so deeply in her mind that she couldn't shake it. Her own birth had not been a time of joy and celebration. It had been miserable, agonizing, terrifying, and had it not been for her father's interference the day of her birth would have also been the day of her death. 

The winged mare was far from being like her birth-mother, but while she hadn't nurtured the idea of murdering her child when it was born, neither had she thought that she actually wanted it. What would she do with it? How would she care for it? What if she didn't like it? What if it didn't like her? What if it looked and acted like Rikyn?

Weeks dragged slowly by and she fretted in solitude over the what ifs that came with children. She worried over protecting it, and teaching it, and if she had the capacity to love it as fiercely as her adoptive mother had loved both her and the children she birthed...

But now as she stood, slick with sweat and exhausted from the strain of childbirth, looking down at the small dark foal on the snowy ground she felt ... something. Some motherly love, the strong, undeniable desire to protect this small babe from the world and everyone who would seek to harm her. Mine. The word whispered fiercely in her mind, as she gazed down at the child. This is mine. If anyone tries to hurt her I'll end them.

Her muzzle brushed along her daughter's body, feather-light but encouraging her to stand and greet the world.

"." 

MORDECAI

when the last light warms the rocks and the rattlesnakes unfold
mountain cats will come along to drag away your bones

@Arleigh @Rikyn
the emptiness that we confess in the dimmest hour of day
in Automatown they make a sound like the low sad moan of prey

Messages In This Thread
the stars will be your eyes [birth] - by Mordecai - 06-28-2017, 10:57 PM