the Rift

Losing My Mind [Open]

Murdock Posts: 198
Outcast atk: 9 | def: 10.5 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.2hh :: 8 HP: 61.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Gaz

The deafening clamor of battle still rang in his ears, reverberating in his skull as he squinted dark eyelids shut. It was always gruesome; always an ugly display of prehistoric inhibitions and barbaric instincts. He had been trained for war, though, and he was raised to fight and to defend his home and those he loved. Was it worth it? Perhaps this was a sign that he was finally falling apart, and the fractured pieces of his mind were beginning to disintegrate into oblivion. Emerald eyes opened slowly, taking in the great green spread of the Foothills as it stretched out below him. Silver hooves rested on the firm slate of a ledge that curved from the hillside, spray from the falls to his right misting against his dirty hide and coating his feathers with droplets of cool water.

This was his new home. It was beautiful. The sharp, dark cliffs struck a sharp pang of remembrance into his heart as his eyes traced the dark lines of the distant mountains. They were crowned with snow and misty clouds, the scent of rain hanging thick in the damp air. His body angled forward and down as he found his way onto a firmly packed path between tufts of green grass, hooves slipping across the wet earth as he descended the steep slope toward level ground. His bruised elbow ached as his weight was thrown onto his forehand, his curled tail draping over his hocks and trailing across the dew-soaked grass. His joints had grown stiff in his idleness, and his throat was parched and sore.

He set his course for the pool at the foot of the falls, his chin tilting down as dark lips touched to the water’s surface. The cool liquid revived his weary body, bringing life back to his aching muscles. The ragged flesh-wound upon his shoulder stung as the cool breeze swept over his body, and as he finished quenching his thirst he turned his head back to eye the dark stains upon his pale feathers and black hide. It was not a critical wound, but the pain was constantly nagging at the back of his mind and he had not been able to fly or even spread his wings as the movement tugged at the bloody laceration. He thought of washing it, to rid his matted coat of the dried blood and prevent infection; however, he was not able to reach it himself.

Turning away from the falls, he stepped carefully over the uneven ground as he wandered toward the sparse forest. The sky was hidden by pale grey clouds, the threat of a rare summer rain looming overhead. Murdock hated the rain, but at this point his mood could hardly be dampened further. He found his way over the rocky ground to the shelter of the trees, his wings shifting painfully over his shoulders as he tucked them in against his body. A great oak rose up from the damp earth before him, thin stalks of green grass curling about its twisted frame. He tipped his head back, eyes tracing the scarred bark up to the twisted branches that reached out in all directions as if searching for the sun.

“So…how are you?” His voice was a weary drawl, ears swiveling back on his head as he watched the leaning oak. It said nothing. Not even the creak of ancient branches responded to his empty words. Rude, Murdock thought as he turned his back toward the tree. He didn’t often speak to in-animate objects, though he managed to find a sort of silent comfort in their presence; it was simply one of his many oddities. The last time he had sought conversation with such a ‘being’, he had been splayed out upon the wind-swept snow with the dark mare standing over him. A faint sigh escaped his lips, his weight shifting on his hips as he looked out toward the mountains. She was the only one he could call a 'friend' in this new land, but they were two worlds apart and he avoided the possibility that they might never see each other again. Eye-lids flickering shut, he pressed his shoulder into the bruised bark of the oak to take the pressure off his aching feet.

"talk talk talk"

Wind me up, put me down
Start me off and watch me go

Image Credit

Messages In This Thread
Losing My Mind [Open] - by Murdock - 03-16-2013, 05:52 PM
RE: Losing My Mind [Open] - by Ailith - 03-19-2013, 12:36 AM
RE: Losing My Mind [Open] - by Murdock - 03-19-2013, 01:51 AM
RE: Losing My Mind [Open] - by Ailith - 03-20-2013, 02:22 AM
RE: Losing My Mind [Open] - by Murdock - 03-20-2013, 03:03 PM
RE: Losing My Mind [Open] - by Ailith - 03-24-2013, 09:13 PM
RE: Losing My Mind [Open] - by Murdock - 03-30-2013, 01:13 AM