the Rift

General Writing Help

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod
Since this is a roleplaying site focusing on writing, I thought I'd put this out there for anyone who'd like it. I absolutely love talking with people about writing, or anything to do with writing, so that's basically what this little thread is.

If anyone has any questions about grammar or writing in general, I would love to field them and help if I can. I seriously get a huge kick out of helping anyone better understand English/writing, or making it easier or more enjoyable for them. I love writing so much, and I want to just like...shove that joy in everyone else's face. Politely, of course! :P

But honestly. No question is a stupid question, and no topic is too simplistic. Creative writing is an interesting beast that combines some hard and fast grammar and syntax rules and then throws the rest out of the window depending on your style. Getting a hang of it can sometimes be pretty hard.

If anyone feels the desire for it, I will also cautiously offer to edit small bits of a post. I say that because editing can quickly get overwhelming for the editor when there's a lot. On the off chance people take me up on this offer, I'd rather not let anyone down by not being able to edit what they ask for.

Feel free to post anything in this thread if you want, or if you'd rather ask me in a private message, go right ahead and PM me.

Everyone here is a lovely writer, but sometimes we can all have little questions or things we're not sure of! No shame in that :) Just offering any help I can give when you run into one of those moments. I love all of your faces and I want everyone to have all the resources they need to be fabulous! :D
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

Cypress Posts: 72
Hidden Account
Filly :: Unicorn :: 12 hands :: 10 months
Cy
Hey, just to put this out there... You should be a English teacher... or Writing teacher.. What ever you like better. :) This is a good Idea for a thread!

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
Since you're offering, love, I had a quick question. And my feelings are hard to hurt so don't worry about that, hahaha.

What are your opinions on the way I write Oxy (i.e. second person narrative). I really enjoy writing him that way as it really gets me into character with him and helps me think like Oxy would think. However, I have a hard time judging if its hard for other people to get into his character, you know?
Is it difficult to read? Is there anything you would suggest changing? Are there ways to make it more readable for others, if indeed it is difficult to read?

Thanks for any help!!!!

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Kahlua/Sevin:

Interesting that you should bring up Oxy. When I first started reading him, I will admit I was thoroughly thrown off by the second-person narrative I read. I think that comes from the fact that I'm not used to reading second-person narratives. It isn't a common POV chosen for fiction writing - authors usually either go with first-person "I" narratives or third-person ones.

That said, honestly, I think the second-person perspective allows Oxy to have funny moments in different ways. For example, in Dalibor's threshold thread, when Oxy realizes he's being rude and you wrote, "Nice. You'll make a lot of friends that way." or something similar, I actually chuckled. I think the format lent itself to making that particular part of the writing more powerful.

If it helps you get into his character, there's nothing wrong with that. As for readers getting into his character...well, I can't speak to that other than for myself. It took me a good while, and I'll be honest: I didn't like it at first. It had nothing to do with the quality of writing, because you write well, but I'm just not used to second-person style, and my brain is kinda snooty. It likes what it likes, and what it's used to.

However, now that I'm used to it, it doesn't bother me much. I have a thing against other writers ordering me what to feel or think or experience when I'm reading, and second-person sort of amplifies that because everything is "you did" or "you said" or "you felt." Well, no I didn't because I'm fully aware I'm not that character. Strangely enough I don't have the same amount of mental resistance to first person "I saw/I said/I felt" sort of things...perhaps because I can clearly delineate that it is the author or character whose mind I'm getting a front row seat to view.

Anyway. This is rambling. Bottom line: To help others get immersed, I personally prefer third-person narrative the most, but first-person narrative can also be highly effective. Second-person narrative I can deal with, but I'm never fully comfortable with the sense of immersion - after all, I know I'm not a huge, drug-addicted, hilarious oaf, now am I? But that's not to say you can't write in second-person. For others it may be just fine, and if it's how you write the character best, then I certainly can't argue with that.

^ I doubt any of that was helpful :P I apologize.

No man is an island.

Aurelia Posts: 307
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 7 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
baylee
If it isn't TOOOOO much work, do you think you could critique how I write Aurelia?

I've had her for a short time, but love her a lot. I've done a lot of opening posts (which I'm very bad at... >.>), so it's not my best writing, but there is a few threads that have been replied to, and that I've replied back.

Anyways, if you could give me really tough criticism, it'd be really helpful.

Success isn't the result of spontaneous combustion.

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
(11-11-2013, 04:02 PM)Torleik Wrote: After all, I know I'm not a huge, drug-addicted, hilarious oaf, now am I?

Work on this. I'm sure there is a shady street corner somewhere nearby, no? Lol.

ANYWAYS.... Thank you! It was incredibly helpful. It gives me a lot to think about, and makes me wonder if I shouldn't experiment a little bit. I don't think I want to force someone into feeling something they're not, and if that's an abrasive way to write then I'm not doing my job properly!

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

(11-11-2013, 06:09 PM)Kahlua Wrote: Work on this. I'm sure there is a shady street corner somewhere nearby, no? Lol.

ON IT.

No man is an island.

Eris_ Posts: 97
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1 :: 4 Buff: NOVICE
Frostie
I would really appreciate some feedback on my writing! I know that I need a lot of help. If you'd be so kind as to look over some of my posts and give me critique I'd really like that.
I play;
Eris
Arah
Scarter
Andreas

Seele the Necromancer Posts: 210
Deceased atk: 5.5 |
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.2 hh :: five (ages orangemoon) Buff: NOVICE
Abba
Merp.
I'd love some input. <3

I play Seele/Resplendence/Rasta

Some of my writing has gotten really crappy because I'm so crunched for time, though |:

THANK YOU LOVELY <3
●☽ ☾●
Glory and Gore go Hand in Hand
That's Why We're Making Headlines
●☽ ☾●

Homahgoodness. More people than I planned for responded lol. If all of you lovelies could just be patient with me, I would appreciate it. I haven't forgotten about anyone's requests on here, or through any PMs I've gotten, but it's going to be a bit of slow going.

<3 for all, and really, I don't think any of you are as bad as you think you are. A general piece of advice I'd give is to be strict with yourself, but not hard on yourself when it comes to your writing.

Not that I'm the best example, because I can be pretty critical of myself, but over the years I've learned that sometimes I just have to let things go. The things I'm best at are the things I'm hardest on myself when going over my own writing. That generally includes two things: 1. Grammar, and 2. Dialogue. If those two are messed up in any noticeable way, I don't let myself get away with it because I know I can do better.

Other things, like location descriptions and battle scenes, don't come as easily for me, so I give myself a little more slack. I try my best, but I don't immediately beat myself up when it's not flawless - I just try to get better every time I write anything in those two categories. I would take some time to assess your own writing and get at least two things you think you're good at, and two things you think you could improve on, and then focus on those for the next however many posts, or the next two weeks, or some arbitrary length.

When that time period is up, reassess yourself, rework your list of improvement areas as needed, and do the same thing. Writing, like life, is a process. We all have things to learn. :D

No man is an island.

Okay. Been a little busier than I expected, and I like I said, more people asked for help than I anticipated. I have a question for those who posted in this thread asking for help:

Would you like me to write my suggestions/critiques/praises in this thread, or would you rather me PM you with them?

This applies to those I'm tagging below:
@[Seele]
@[Eris]
@[Aurelia]

No man is an island.

Eris_ Posts: 97
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1 :: 4 Buff: NOVICE
Frostie
You can post them here.
Thank you so much! <3

Aurelia Posts: 307
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 7 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
baylee
you can write them here also! <333

Success isn't the result of spontaneous combustion.

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
Here is fine <3 you so much for doing this!
When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love