the Rift

[OPEN] Unlikely

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
The mare ran, legs reaching forward with mane and tail dragging behind. She was not athlete, but today she ran without any effort. Her hooves barely seemed to contact the earth as she moved and not a sound but the whisper of wind was made. She moved with such grace because today she was made of mist and vapors, like she had crawled from the very heart of the World's Edge. Kahlua had seen Hellena appear from the mists like she was one with them, then reform into a solid mare. How she had wished to be able to do such a thing- make herself untouchable, yet beautiful and exotic. And, so it had happened, that she herself had turned into mist just by wishing.

Sometime throughout the past week, while the mare had been entertaining herself as a lady of the fog, Lord Sun had returned. Kahlua had never felt more joy than she did in that moment. Though the sun on the rising had forced her to squint and pained her eyes for a moment, the light that fell upon her warmed her body and her soul. Kahlua had not fared well in the darkness, so many things plaguing the mare in the shadows and blackness. So, she celebrated, first with her herd and then by running.

At first, the mare had not known where she was running or why she was running there- she just ran. Somewhere while she ran, though, it occurred to her where she wanted to go. So she cantered to the Foothills, skidding to a strangely silent stop, her body still made of water droplets and smoke. “Atka! Atka!” Her dancing voice called out, brightening the air as she looked around. “Where is the old man?” She laughed this time, the sound fit the radiant picture she made.

The mare waited impatiently, though she stood well back from the borders. She was not, and never would be, the sharpest tool in the shed, but she was smart enough to respect boundaries. She just simply could not help herself to come here. She had promised Atka so long ago that she would come and call out his name. He had promised her he would show her the land. Their meeting had been strange- Kahlua was so childish compared to the intellectual, elk-like stallion- but she still would like to call him friend and it had been months since they met at the Thistle Meadow. As she waited now, she swayed from side to side, wanting to just burst into a gallop and enter the land to find the stallion herself. Would he even recognize her, made of the mists, she wondered? She could not say. Eager, the mare nickered again and tried to settle herself into patience.

OOC| I know Atka is an adoptable now, but Kahlua doesn't :) She's using her herd champion magic, just so you know, where members of the Edge are allowed to spontaneously turn into mist for the month. Open to whoever <3
.KAHLUA

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Artemis Posts: 82
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 4 Buff: NOVICE
Sei
Unlikely.
The mare stood sentient upon the hills, her steely eyes tinted with the slightest of teals watched as the sun slowly rose once more over the horizon. Sighing with relief, she allowed herself a quiet moment to admire the view. Ever since the endless night had ended, the porcelain mare had watched every sunset with dread, spending the night hoping the sun would rise again in the morn. It had done each day like clockwork and, slowly, the mare was adjusting the the cycle and once again trusting the sun to rise upon the horizon. Pink and orange hues had tainted her body, painting with vivid watercolours over her blank canvas. Yet she would not idle herself. She had duties, and had to patrol the borders.

Ever since Ktulu left, Artemis had realized just how much the ivory maned creature had done. It was probably because of that reason that the war painted creature had never had a proper conversation, or even introduction, with her. She had taken on the duties herself, for it did in fact seem that very few were bothering and with e herd in its weakened state it was now paramount to their survival.

Artemis was annoyed that it fell upon her shoulders alone, yet she did not show it. Instead she walked in silence, alone, along the border each day, determined to make Apollo proud and to guard the invisible walls as if he life depended on it.

Because really, it was all she had.

As she walked and the day progressed, she found herself thinking of Tharos and those words that had escaped his lips. She tried to pretend she had misheard, or he had misspoke, yet she knew it was true. He loved her, and yet she had not said the same. She barely understood her feelings on anything, let alone love of all things. How could she honestly say she loved him, if her own heart was a mystery to her? Artemis was not one to sugar coat things, nor fake feelings that were not there, yet instead of telling him straight she had simply dismissed it, ignoring him completely.

Was that not worse?

Probably.

She hated herself for it, yet she couldn't take it back now. Instead she put her heart and soul into walking the endless circle around the Foothills, memorising every rock and crevice. She knew it so well that often times she would allow her mind to wander, yet today she was alert with ears pricked and eyes wide. She felt somehow as if she was not alone, as if mindless ambling would not cut it today. And as she walked, it soon became evident that she was correct in her prediction, yet it was not some warrior come to claim a bounty. No, it was much stranger and quite unexpected.

The day was sunny and dry, yet Artemis could have sworn she saw mist, yet it was no ordinary mist. It was shifting and moving, with steady beads of liquid trickling down its body - and it was a body, she decided, for it seemed denser than a simple cloud - and soaking the earth beneath. As she followed quietly, she heard it call out for a name she did not recognise and in that instant, she froze.

A ghost, perhaps?

She had only heard of such things from tales her mother had frightened her wi as a child, yet it seemed a logical solution for the spectral being. Though never had she been told stories of sodden ghosts. Images of her mothers drowning came to mind, sending a shudder down her spine as the idea emerged - the picture was painted into her skull quite vividly. It was a mare who drowned trying to find her lost lover, and s continued to stalk the forests surrounding the hills, desperate to be reunited at last.

She shuddered visibly, pinning her ears down. She could not run, she knew, though the sight of a watery being frightened her. Forcing herself to stay planted, she spoke out; "Lady, do you need assistance? Why are you here?" Her voice was quite meek which was a rarity for the warrior, and she spoke quietly as if hoping it might not hear her and simply leave without a trace.
[Image: 258b4tv.jpg]

Kahlua did not have to spend much time at the border before she was joined by another. Staring so hard into the distance, looking for any sign of the champagne stallion, Kahlua did not notice the white mare come upon her. It was only the mare's words that broke Kahlua from her concentration. Do you need assistance? Jerking her head to look a the white warrior, Kahlua flicked her ears in confusion. The voice had clearly been feminine, but the being here before her almost seemed masculine with its solid muscling and thick lines. Closer inspection revealed that this was in fact a mare.

The second thing she noticed about the mare was her long, spiraling horn, dipped in red. The sight was ominous, seeming to imply that the horn had sliced open so many opponents that it was permanently stained red. Kahlua shivered, the mists vibrating around her. She did not like the thought and her ears fell back upon her head. She had come here on friendly terms and still she was reminded of the foot-long scar on her left hip. It was like she could not escape the horrid memory- the Basin warrior entering her home, attacking her when she had clearly not wanted the fight. How she had managed to escape him and send him away was still beyond her.

The last thing she noticed about the mare was that her words were full of fear. Kahlua was not normally in tune with the emotions of others, but fear was something she knew intimately. She had come to this land so naïve to the dangers the world held. She had learned first-hand, too many times since she had been here, that not everyone was kind. In particular, thoughts of Midas came to her head. Though she had met with him twice now, the kindly stallion was still a source of serious confusion to the mare. If he was evil or kind, she could not say. The way the white mare stood now, her voice meek and her ears down, reminded Kahlua exactly of how she stood in his presence that day at the Threshold.

So many thoughts swirling around in her head, and the horn blaring atop Artemis' head, Kahlua found herself fearful. Such a pair these two must have made then, both scared of one another with ears back atop their head. The white warrior was frozen and Kahlua was swaying from side-to-side, her mind swirling was thoughts and her muscles itching to run. As she swayed, silence between the pair, Kahlua trying to decide what to do, the mists began to melt away from her body. She was not accustomed to the use of magic and the slim hold she had on the power dissipated as her mind melted into childish chaos. So there she was, then, a mare again and not a specter.

Finally, Kahlua made herself speak, hoping and praying that this white beast with the blood-tipped horn did not desire another notch in her belt on this day. “I'm Kahlua, of the Edge,” she said finally, her voice tinged with confusion. The dancing quality still remained, but was overshadowed by her other feelings. “I'm looking for my friend, Atka. He's large and very tall, tan and white colored, has caribou antlers...” She trailed off for a moment. Very tall was an understatement, the stallion stood almost a foot taller than her at the shoulder. Soon, she continued again. She always spoke too much. “We met when the sun first went out. He said he lived here... Forgive me for intruding, I only thought to find him...” She looked to the mare then, her ears rising and her emotions still a mess. It was worse that she had introduced herself as a mare of the Edge, forgetting that the Foothills had worked in conjunction with the Basin to invade her home- she really only thought of the members of the icy herd to the north as the enemy. She could only hope now that Artemis would take pity on her and her story.
.KAHLUA

Hidden Account
Sei
Unlikely.
Her eyes met with the spectral face of the solid cloud. Te silence that lingered after her words sent a shudder down her spine as the creature turned to face her. Te silence was absolute - to Artemis, it was as if the stopped dead. Birds quieted, the river flowing in the distance seemed to fade int nothingness and the wind rustling the trees seemed to run out of air around her. Se felt like she couldn't breathe, that the world around her has sucked e air from her very lungs.

Was it a demon? It didn't do aching for some time, though time felt longer than it was in reality. Some ing about the wide eyes of the creature seemed to evoke some primal feeling that selected between the two. Was e creature just as afraid of her, as she was of it? Her eyes softened for a moment at the thought. She wasn't sure if ghosts could fear, though. They were already dead.

Yet as she watched with white rings eyes, she saw the fluid seep down from her pale body, darkening in patches as the water soaked the earth beneath the legs of the phantom. Slowly, the droplets ran down white, then grey, then suddenly black markings that created the slim line body of a pretty young mare.

A mare. Not a ghost.

Confused, she frowned and took a single step forwards. The fear that embraced her melted away as slowly as the mist had evaporated from the creatures body. Just a horse. Physical being she could fight, that she could injure. Not an immortal after demon sent to drag her into the depths to suck all air from her lungs.

It came to her suddenly the realisation that she was still holding her breath, and she exhaled quickly, vanquishing the dread that had settled in her gut. The mare did, in reality, seem just as frightened. Why? Because she was trespassing and had been caught by a warrior? She smiled softly. Apollo was the Merciful for a reason; if she was no threat, Artemis had no reason to duel. Hr neck lowered in a sign of relaxation, hoping Kahlua would relax also.

She listened carefully, but frowned as the description did not seem to math any horse she had seen in this herd. Se was sure she had at least seen everyone, even if she rarely spoke to them, but maybe she was mistaken? "There is nothing to forgive. You have not crossed the borders." She told the mare, taking a few steps closer. "My name is Artemis. I don't else e I have ever seen a stallion matching that description. As far as I am aware there is only one who is antlered here, but she is a mare." She told her quietly. "I am sorry. It seems you came here for nought. Though, if I do see this...Atka.... I shall be sure to tell him you called looking for him." She told the stranger, silently making that a vow. Artemis took promises very seriously, even if it was to a stranger.

The herd of the mare had no baring upon the white, however it did bring upon her a stab of pain. She remembered the war vividly. I had not been something she had enjoyed, nor wanted. She had been new t the herd, only a few days in and already shedding blood for her 'family' who's names she did not know and who had shorter after abandoned her. Se was no blood thirsty creature, and Apollo had vowed to make alliances not with money, but with friendship. They were mercenaries no more, it seemed. Yet maybe the Edge horses hated her family for that invasion. She lowered her head in shame. Se would normally have simply left, but something compelled her to stay. "The invasion.... I was there, if that is why you look at me with such apprehension. If you see Laila, please, tell her 'V' regrets everything that happened that day. I would not have fought, if I knew I would shed innocent blood. I did not want to hurt her, or any of you, nor shall I hurt the innocent again. He helped me realise that that was not the sort of person I anted to become." She turned away, letting her forelock fall over her eyes. Laila knew her only as the red V faced mare, the bloodied war painted bitch. But Artemis was a kindly soul. To be known as a fear inducing creature saddened her.

The mare before her relaxed visibly, but Kahlua did not find it so easy to let go of her fears. She had come to this land so naïve, but ever since Onni had forced the fear of darkness into she had become something of a coward. If she knew there was danger. If she was oblivious to the danger, Kahlua was as kind and carefree as any foal. As Artemis began to breathe again, lowering her neck, Kahlua simply tottered from side to side, shifting her weight in uncertainty. Still, this mare didn't seem to be a threat now that she was calm. Could Kahlua try and trust her? She thought about. For now, she still kept a healthy distrust of the white mare; however, Artemis' smile did close quite a bit of the gap between fear and friendship.

There is nothing to forgive, the mare began, and finally Kahlua found that she was smiling herself. Her ears picked up from her head and her tottering stopped. She did not fully relax just yet, but she was very close. Perhaps it was a weakness of hers, but she was always inclined to trust kindness. Even the lords of the Basin could probably lure her in with kind words and promises of more sunny days. While the mare continued speaking, Kahlua repeated Artemis' name several times to herself out of habit. As Artemis finished, though, Kahlua found her smile fading. She had been hopeful to find the old stallion. Perhaps he had died? But he didn't seem that old... She simply shook her head.

“Even so, the land has been pretty to see,” she said, her dancing overlaid with ribbons of sadness. Or perhaps it was confusion. She did not like the idea of the old stallion dead, and so she did her best to push it out of her mind. Death was not something she usually let herself dwell on. Whenever she did, she always ended up thinking about her family. Had they made it out of the fire? Was her twin alive still? And her mother and father, did they escape or did they burn up in their cold, stone cathedral? Kahlua did not know. She couldn't imagine she would have escaped and the others would not have, but still... She hadn't seen them since, now almost 6 seasons past. She shook her head again, the images were getting to be too much for her.

Then the white mare lowered her head further and Kahlua cocked her head to the side. The invasion, she began, and though the topic discomforted her, Kahlua did not begin to shift or fiddle about. There was something forlorn about the white mare's voice that held her attention more strongly than the fearful memories did. Laila? Kahlua furrowed her brow in confusion. The name was not one she was familiar with. And as the mare's sad story ended, and she turned away, Kahlua could not help but feel her heart ache for the mare.

Slowly, apprehensively, she took a step forward, and then another. She did not know exactly where the Foothills counted their borders, so she was wary, but she also felt a need to give this mare some kind of comfort. After all, she could have simply attacked Kahlua with no questions asked. Secure borders were precious, after all. But she had not, and now she claimed that she did not want to hurt those who were innocent... Kahlua could not help but like her. And she did not like to see those she liked hurting. When she finally had closed the distance, or tried at least, Kahlua slowly extended her muzzle to the mare's shoulder, all fears of the mare's blood-dipped horn vanished. She blew a warm puff of air, trying to touch the mare's skin as she did so. “I... I did not see you there,” she began hesitantly, though her vioce gained some strength as she continued. “But... I... I forgive you. And I'm sure Laila does too.” Suddenly realizing she may not be wanted across the borders, she added quickly, “I'll step back if you want."
.KAHLUA

Hidden Account
Sei
Friend?
For a while, the painted damsel seemed uneasy, yet as words escaped the pale mares lips, the smaller creature seemed more inclined to relax. It was not noticeable at first, and Artemis was so distracted by her own thoughts that she barely realized that the stranger had slowly allowed fear to melt from her as slowly and as visibly as the mist had.Even so, the land has been pretty to see, she commented, and the unicorn managed a small dip of the head. The hills were beautiful, no one could deny that. World's Edge, a herd she had been so close to joining herself, had been beautiful also, however she had not been able to enjoy the view when her vision had been clouded by guilt and war. She also wished so could see it again when it was no longer tainted by blood, but just as Kahlua had been frightened of her, she assumed the rest would have similar views. She was an ex-mercenary who had battered a mere filly because she was ordered to do so. That made her a bad person, did it not?

No, she would never, and could never, return to that place in times of peace. It would likely trigger a fight, if not a war. It was not worth it, even if it might cleanse the memories of that place in her mind.

As she spoke of Laila, she did not realize that the painted mare was approaching until she felt something brush against her shoulder. She span her head, stopping suddenly for fear she might accidentally injure the patchwork princess with her horn, instead throwing her head back. Artemis was not accustomed to touch, and even the faint touch of Apollo's horn during the healing process had bothered her. She took a sudden step back, ears pressed back over her skull. Touch to Artemis was a sacred, if not utterly frightening, thing. To touch was reserved for war and war alone. Her people touched only to shed blood, or to spread their DNA. Yet as she took two strides back, she felt herself calm and threw an apologetic glance toward the stranger. it had been unexpected, but at least her horn had stayed well away from her. She recalled having threatened Castiel when he had tried touching her, and others too. Kahlua was lucky, really, that Artemis was beginning to mellow. Sort of. "No, no, ts fine. I just... Sorry...I..." Clearly flustered, she shook her mane and took a deep breath, exhaling through flared nostrils. "Touch, is not something I am accustomed to. I apologize. You were not to know." She explained, voice as soft as usual, yet strained, hoping she would not be judged for her oddities. "It is probably best you do not wander closer. You are no threat to my people, however I cannot allow you further into our home." She spoke, regaining some semblance of honor, hopefully, as her formal words flooded back to her, replacing the stuttering, jabbering mumbles. "Laila will never forgive me, of that I am certain. But I hope that one day, our lands may make peace. We no longer fight for the highest bidder. Our hearts and our lives are our own once more. Maybe one day, we might become allies, but for today, it is best you leave before I am labelled traitor." It was a half joke. She highly doubted that the Merciful would banish her for chatting to an innocent mare who poses little or no threat to the land. "Still, I hope I might call you friend, Kahlua of World's Edge."

ooc- Sorry for the fail post! <3

As Artemis threw her head around at her touch, Kahlua stumbled back a step in fright. As Artemis' ears fell back, so did Kahlua's. Still, Kahlua did take note that Artemis was careful to keep her horn far away, and for that she was grateful. Kahlua did not exactly understand the flailing. Social by nature, she was inclined to touch and cozy up to others whenever it seemed appropriate. Apparently, this mare thought differently. I should have known, Kahlua chastised herself. The mare had just introduced herself as warrior, certainly she would not be the type to cozy up to others. Still, despite reprimanding herself, there was really no way for the silly mare to know. She was not accustomed to thinking of such things before they happened, after all.

However, with Artemis' steps back and her gentle glance, Kahlua allowed her ears to raise off her head. Sorry, the other mare apologized, with a flurry of other words, and Kahlua instantly Kahlua felt bad. “No, I'm sorry,” she murmured quickly. She had only meant to comfort the other mare, give her peace in what had looked like a time of need. Kahlua was not one to judge others, though, and as the mare continued on to explain that she did not like touch, Kahlua stepped back again to give her more space if she desired. It is probably best you do not wander closer, Artemis continued on and Kahlua could not help but sigh. She was not meant for a world where everyone was so distrusting. It was not a sigh of frustration- she understood the white mare's position, after all- it was a sigh of sadness. When she had wandered across the Threshold of this land she had never expected to find a home in such a war-ridden, vicious earth. And, while she was really too clueless to be chronically plagued by the stress of such a living arrangement, she found sorrow in moments like this.

Laila will never forgive me, she continued, and Kahlua silently vowed to find this Laila and make her think differently. If there was anything on this earth she wanted to do besides gain some power, it was find peace. This was one small step she could take in that direction, she thought. However, her thoughts for peace were quickly set aside when the mare began divulging information about the Foothills motivations. We no longer fight for the highest bidder, she claimed, and Kahlua knew immediately that she would have to share this information with her higher ups. But who?

As she was asked to leave, Kahlua withdrew from her thinking and bobbed her head. She finished with a smile, as Artemis asked to call her friend. “Of course we're friends,” she said very matter-of-fact. “I will go, I don't wish to cause you trouble with your family.” She did not know if the Foothills called themselves family the way the Edge did, but she never thought that it could be any other way. “I won't forget to find Laila,” she said then, turning to go. After she trotted off a few steps, she turned back to the white mare one last time. “Forgive me for asking one more favor, but if you happen to see your Mason, will you put in a good word for me? I'm a crafter... perhaps we could collaborate, strengthen the bond between our herds?” She did not know if it was a worthwhile request, she had asked so much of this mare already, but networking was never a bad idea. "And," she started hesitantly one last time, "If you ever feel so inclined, come find me in my home. I will welcome you." With that, she thought again of the moon goddess and let the mists travel up and envelope her body, aiming back towards her homeland. Her hooves took her away at a silent canter, the mists once again providing her more stealthy travel.

OOC| Was not fail at all! I'm glad I got the chance to thread with you again ^.^
.KAHLUA