the Rift

[OPEN] & When we are lost.

Hototo Posts: 96
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 17.2hh :: 3 years
Boom Boom!

HOTOTO

our hearts beat in time with the earth.

There have been many times within my young life in which I found myself utterly lost. Having traveled to the Foothills and finding that my family had evacuated the land as if it held some Plague, I had no where to return to. After months of living upon the earth which sprouted fresh and anew under my hooves, without a friendly face for miles and weeks, I had been more than ready to greet my mother as a strong, young man. Instead, I had been greeted by a butterscotch colored mare I hardly recognized, let alone knew her name. Ultimately, the feeling sinking into my gut had been one of hopelessness. When I sought out my mother, she was missing. All the more, I began to wish I had never left.

Yet, deep down in the strong beat of my chambered heart, I knew. I had done the right thing by leaving. So many new faces had lit with suspicious joy at the sight of fresh grass under my hooves, so many smiles, so many names, so many thanks. I had been brought unto this world to bring life to those who needed it. I am aware that nothing I had done during the Endless Night had been in vain. Every brave yet uncertain step, ever drop of my energy spent, every hour I spent away from my family had been worth it. I would make my mother proud, and I would live up to my father's expectations. More importantly, I am a beacon of good and kindness in this world so absent of such a pleasant glimmer.

The winter had been long and brutal. Spring had begun in a silent night, and now...?

The sun had since returned, yet there had been no sign of my beloved mother. I figured that I would return to the Dragon's Throat and ask Midas if he had seen her, for I was certain that she must have spoken with him. Perhaps, she had finally given into Midas's wish and returned to the desert, though I highly doubted it.
Some political issues I had never quite understood there; I had been too young to make sense of her issues with the Resolute.

Now, instead of the company of my step-father, I sought out the presence of my actual father. I flew north on steady wings, flight which had been gifted to me by none other than Midas. I was no sloppy flier now, though, and my wide wings kissed the sky with loving caresses as the sun beamed down upon my back in a gentle reminder that the night was over. Father should be home. I should not have a task anymore. Still, there was something that saddened me about that fact.

When Father had requested my strength to help the citizens of Helovia, I had accepted a task too large for my small, frail body. Now, nearly reaching over sixteen hands, almost fully grown, and, in spirit, years wiser than I had been just months ago, I could handle such a request. I am no longer the useless, scared child that I had been in my youth. Now, I am full of life and the will to do good, along with the strength to make it happen. My only problem at such an age is not knowing when something is too much. My confidence is overflowing, which is just the time for life to come around and rip it from underneath you. This is not the tale of this day, though, friends.

We will save that for another time.

My silver mane whips about the set of curling horns, my young face growing more full and masculine with each day. I am to be an imposing force when I fully age, and it is beginning to show in each curve of newly forming muscle, in each inch of height I seem to grow per day. Many had confused me for a full grown stallion already because of my tall stature, but I knew the reason for such heights. I am tall as trees thanks to my father, and mother is no small pony either. The childish feature about me rests in the eyes - the glimmer of youth. Another, almost quirky - the twist of my lips in that awkwardly adolescent smile.

I am not even two years old yet, and if you watch me close enough, it becomes painfully obvious. I should also mention that I am currently at that age where you try overly hard to keep it hidden. I am a mature adult, damn it! (But, please do not let mother know that I cursed.)

A pair of bronze hooves land upon the glowing blue floor of the Veins, soon followed by their matching set. I have arrived at my destination, bi-colored eyes scanning for the sloughed off old shrine of my father. His is quite obvious, currently blooming with all of the spring spirit an old statue can handle. Flowers, grasses, moss - lots of plants that should not even be growing on this island shrouding the halved shrine from view, but making it pop into your view against the cyan floors. I make quick work waltzing up to the stone, kneeling my head in gratitude as I arrive, taking care to breathe in the scent of fresh flowers.

I smile, noting with awkward innocence how beautiful the earth is, especially when it has been sculpted by my father's will. As always, the plants grow toward me, their bodies thriving off whatever regenerative energy pulsates within me. I like to think of plants as my friends, always welcoming me wherever I land.

"Hello father," I say, speaking directly to the statue. It is about this time that I feel incredibly stupid, talking to an old shrine all by myself. Nothing will make you feel more silly than talking to someone who isn't listening. "I hope that I completed my task to your satisfaction...." I draw a blank, uncertain of what I came here to ask for a moment. I ponder, head still down to my knees, thick mane falling into my face and eyes and getting caught in my horns and ultimately just making it harder to think. I try to shake the hair away from my face. This does not work, resulting only in more hair falling down into my eyes.
Rude, I think. Very rude.

"Anyway, I was hoping you could give me some direction. I feel..." I pause, thinking of what I do feel. "Lost."
Definitely lost.

@[Tandavi] (and if earthy wants to show up I don't mind, but not expecting it.)
CREDITS

Tandavi The Fire Dancer Posts: 245
World's Edge Nurse atk: 6.5 | def: 9 | dam: 4
Mare :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Natraj :: Plain Kitsune :: Fire Charks
The sun came up as they journeyed home, peering curiously over the horizon before emerging into full strength above them. It set a fire to their bones and a blaze in their blood; they basked in its radiance, the promises it offered. They had spent the majority of their lives trapped in darkness, wrapped in the cold embrace of a starlit sky- the advent of warmth and fall of the dark was a brilliant reminder of how beautiful the world could be.

The Edge was dark, but their mother was there, ready to welcome her children home. The rush of affection was something foreign to the filly and her brother; they loved it and loathed it, confused by the kisses and yearning for more. Natraj demonstrated his skill with flame, and Tandavi was snatched under Kali's wing. The griffin braided her hair, supple talons weaving an elegant tangle of coils and knots. She cooed a song the pair did not understand, blending feline and avian tones into something eerily beautiful and hauntingly piercing, while Rishima told stories of lands far away in dark and wistful tones, painting a picture of past adventures and secrets untold.

They fled soon after, eager to find secrets and tales of their own, suddenly stifled by the woods they had grown in and the family they loved. They had spent time cast away from home, and were stronger now for their trials. The desert sand stained empty spatters on their hearts, a fragment of scattered thoughts and memories left with them for years to come. It was dismal and dark, but also vast, expansive, a world full of promise and desire and tales and strangers. Now they streaked through the land in a flurry of hooves and blackened fur, a bright young filly and her three-tailed brother with hearts newly inflamed and steel in their eyes. Next time they would not stand and watch on the distant shore. Next time they would not sit helpless as others defended their sorry corpses. Next time they would be prepared to fight, to bleed, to die for a cause they knew not but sought to defend nevertheless. For Amaris. For Mother. For family.

The bridge was an invitation, the rough waves a test; they stepped on stone and smelled the salt, let wind tear at the newly braided hair with curious fingers and smiled. Girl and her shadow, they trod lightly on a path warm with memories and soft with history, stained with desire and lust and greed. Blue fire and molten rock; Natraj ran ahead and Tandavi trailed after, black eyes wide to take in the world around her. She had seen so little and heard so much, the firechild born to a wanderer's heart; she filed it all away into the recesses of her mind, giddy with the delight of forming new memories and the anticipation of new adventure.

The ground around her grew momentarily dark. Tandavi frowned, looking up just in time to see a pegasus streak away to land atop the island, out of sight but well in mind. A sudden fierce protectiveness burned high in the child's heart, mixed with tantalizing curiosity and untempered by wariness. Who was he to invade her sacred space, steal the memories she had come to build, change her fate with his presence uninvited? And yet her steps beat faster, stride brought long with dizzying anticipation at discovering just who and what and why and how, at learning the stranger's name and scent and if she will love or loathe him. Her brother burned with the overflow of excitement, a howl let loose to the gods and the sky, gold eyes glowing in the cloudy cyan light.

They creeped above the lip of the ledge, in time to hear the colt's soft voice echo back from silent stone. The shrines sat quiet in the summer sun, tame companions for a boy so brave, but she heard them beat against her heart, a pulse of magic present here that dances with her own in a dizzying foxtrot. Green and vibrant, the plants that sprung at the boy's pluck a string of distant memories, a past before she fled her home. He reeked of familiarity and and absent name, but bigger now, a nearly-grown stallion and a half-grown mare, both alone and innocent in their own ways. Brown, blue, bronze and blonde, the stallion cast an imprint on the filly's mind, and she felt something hot ignite in her chest.

She thought about leaving, but decided that would be dull. In the space between them her voice seeped, far too deep for a girl so small, roughly melodious and unapologetically curious.

"Why are you lost?"

@[Hototo]

- bg - table - image -

o. pixel pony credit to tamme
o. permission granted to use force and magic on Tavi
o. only tag me in opening posts, please!

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Though the god's presence is not immediately seen, tendrils of soft grass begin to curl upward around Hototo's hooves, giving his body a softer ground on which to stand. Flowers bloom on the Earth God's abandoned shrine as they begin to sing soft songs of thanks, ringing like beautiful bells in the wind. Soon, they promised. Very soon.

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!

I smile as the grasses begin to sing in the wind. Their quiet reassurance touching my heart as I stand so very still. My bicolored eyes watch them grow. Sly. My father is very sly.

I have little time to ponder the workings of my father, for the small voice of a girl can be heard over the surf of the ocean and the soft singing of the grasses at my hooves. Immediately I turn my head, twisting about to view who has caught me off guard, enjoying the green earth. Two-toned eyes are wide and flustered, and I gather my large figure to stand in attention. Large bronze hooves gracefully turn my form around, careful not to injure the grass that had grown at my feet.

The harp zings through the air as well, whispering about before halting at my side, a nervous melody spilling from the emerald green chords. "Uh..." I say, in response to her aptly curious question. Gazing at her face, I remember this girl. I had never been good with fillies, and, thus, just about every young lady I had ever encountered was ever engraved in my mind. Trauma does wonders for memorization of details.

I remember that she had been rather odd, an old soul, if I had ever seen one. The filly held an air of aged wisdom about her head, even if the crown itself would tip under that weight. No longer obscured by the darkness of the world, I come to appreciate the cresent of gold about her burnished features. Slack-jawed and caught off guard, I flutter my wings and gather my wits about me. I let an uneasy, sheepish smile flicker across my face.

"I left home," I begin, an easy enough explanation. Even this judgmental looking girl would understand that concept. "When I returned, the home I had known no longer existed." A bit sad of a statement, I think to myself. Just how long had I been harboring those sorts of feelings? I missed mother and Nuna. I missed home. However, the Foothills was no more my home than this island was - maybe less so. "Now, I am not really sure where to go."

Squinting at the girl with questioning eyes, I regain my stature as her elder in this situation. Who is she to interrogate me? Sure, a woman, which we all know I absolutely fail at speaking with. Still, I should have a little bit more pride... what being a God's son and all. "Why are you always out on your own?"

Hototo</style>
there will come soft rains.                 </style>

image credits

A creamy purr breaks into the sunlit space, round and warm and full of youthful curiosity. The shadow has abandoned his post at her side, slinking forward with spring in his step, cold nose sniffing curiously at the magical plants. Over the past year they have learned that Natraj's inquisitive nature knows no bounds, and neither decorum nor safety can hold him back when his interest is piqued; he is a force to be reckoned with, and a vocal one at that. He reaches the greenery and pauses, glancing at the boy before leaping fearlessly ahead. The fire child smiles as her kitsune drops onto his knees, rolling violently upon the grass, his voice a soft whine of happiness against the rolling surf.

Tandavi looks back as the stallion turns, but her attention is quickly torn away from the living and cast upon the inanimate. Or, really, highly animate- the strange and melodious companion of the boy that moves with a mind of its own, suspended in mid air with all the grace of a strange, awkwardly build humming bird. The crimson girl knows not what to make of it, this singing springing work of witchcraft; she tilts her head, braided forelock falling across her eyes, golden ear turned forward in pursuit of answers. What creature is this, which seems built from plants yet moves of its own accord? From his place in the grass Natraj catches her conundrum, rising onto tiny paws and turning his gaze to the instrument. The kitsune pants as he pads to the stallion's size, pawing upward in a petulant attempt to touch the harp - which is bigger than even he.

The rich yet sheepish voice of the stallion rolls into the air once more, and Tandavi's solemn gaze returns to the horns on his head, the tone of his eyes. She blinks once, frowning in an attempt to understand. She had left home, too- gone to the Throat for protection and found herself ensnared. But she had returned to find it waiting. She always would. How could home change, when home was the people and not the place, the souls of those who loved her and had surrounded her at birth and not the trees, the stones, the crash of wave and wind? Did he have nobody to call his home? Poor boy, to be so lost! The filly feels a great and unusual sense of sympathy settle on her shoulders, something heavy for one so slight.

She smiles at him then, a small offering of a small comfort, a bright thing that hides the ideas rolling inelegantly through her mind. It does not occur to offer her home- how could one offer a family to a boy, when the family is hers? But other thoughts rise and fall, considerations ebbing and flowing like the tides. She is not sure what to say, but knows that if she gives it time something will form, some idea will construct itself into a palpable reality. She does not realize, but she has gained a crusade, picked up a need to save the lost boy, unaware that it is a task unasked and invasive. The swirl of magic and the sorrow in his eyes easily close the distance between passion and withdrawal.

She wants to be his friend.

His final question break into her thoughts in a swirl of irrationality and confusing stupidity. Maybe friendship wasn't so good an idea, if the boy was this dumb. On her own? "We're not," she states in that too-deep voice, her face now puzzled and her brow a line of bemusement. "We're together." From somewhere near the tall boy's hooves, Natraj lets out a growl of agreement, his bright eyes gazing at the stallion's face. In truth, Tandavi has no concept of 'on her own' - how could she, when she had been bound to her brother a week after birth? Of course, the likelihood of the boy understanding this was slim, but the copper mare did not know that. In a way she was as ignorant as he- for what must it be, to never know loneliness, never feel absent from ones soul?

- bg - table - image -

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!

The nervous tones of the harp begin to settle, quiet, a background murmur mixed with the sounds of the waves and the crackle of lava as the seamists land upon it.

I am taller, larger, and more powerful than the girl who stands looking at me with judgmentally cool eyes. However, you would never know this to be fact, what with the pounding of my nervous heart in my chest, the jitter of my limbs, and the strangely acute feeling that she may attack me. Try though I might, I still cannot shake the feeling that this girl was out to get me. From the gruffness of her voice and words, perhaps I had actually been right.

We're not, the words cut across the air and slice a frown into my lips. I had not intended to upset her - only asking why a young filly like her would travel the world without her mother. Immediately I slip back from my position as her elder into a nervous twitch of the colt that I am. I remember being not much older than she setting out with Bear to tromp about in the world. These are not something I would compare to the golden crescent filly. Once my legs had straightened, I had been strong, healthy, lively, vibrant. Because of my lineage, my youth seemed to end very quickly. Muscles and height came quickly, swiftly placing me into a position where I could defend myself. Barely past my one year mark, my father had gifted me a task to keep the Helovians of the Wilds safe and fed. I did my best.

This girl, despite her frightening words and gross disposition, was small, tiny. Even the friend she referred to stood no chance against a bear.

The small fuzz ball looked about like a housecat, though I had never seen one at this point in my life. The only difference were the tails sprouting curiously from his hind. I only really notice how close the little devil had gotten when he lets out a compliant growl, agreeing instantly with his friend. I smile nervously, attempting to take a step back. The lavender lady's leopard came to mind, which she had warned had sharp claws and a knack of using them. If this small, many-tailed furball was comparable at all, I did not want him scratching me.

"Oh."

It's all I can manage for a while, eyeing them curiously. The harp begins to pick steadily heavier tones, as if encouraging me to speak. I turn my face toward it, looking at the vibrating strings of emerald vines, the white of the birchwood. Curiously, it zags about in the air, coming close to my face, almost nudging it. "What are your names?" I ask, looking from the small kitsune back to her gold splashed face. I expect her not to answer.

Hototo</style>
there will come soft rains.                 </style>

image credits

Natraj's head tilts in response to the boy's wary step, his failure to understand the stallion's discomfort evident in the lilt of long ears. The girl's shadow is more acute to emotion than the girl herself, though; Tandavi blindly continues to stare, lost in a realm of her own devise. The harp is playing in the absence of his voice, a steady dark hum she wants to decipher. Still confused as to this flying object's nature, the firedancer wonders if it is speaking to him in a language she cannot understand, just as Natraj speaks to her but nobody else listens. Sometimes she regrets this simple fact. Though none would know it, the kitsune is a more eloquent soul than she; while the girl hates her voice and finds words troubling, the boy is bright and quick to observe. Even now she wishes her brother would help her with the mystery of the singing thing, would ask the questions buzzing in her mind, would quantify them into useful creations of language, but he is distracted still by the stallion's anxious eyes, and Tandavi is left to muse on her own.

A purr emerges once more from the fennec, followed by a sharp and friendly yip. The fox's smile is unfortunately toothy, but still it stretches across his face; all three tails wave lazy arcs in the air behind him. Natraj wants to set the boy at ease, and while to him that intention is clearly stated in submissive posture and friendly eye, the stallion's wariness is not one that will easily abate. Still, the creature feels a twinge of success as the dark strong voice rings out once more, and behind him his sister answers in distracted tones. "Tandavi. Natraj." The second name is followed by a whine from the fox, an attempt to help differentiate just whose name is whose. Gold eyes gleam in the off-blue light- Friends, Natraj explains, but only the girl can hear it.

"Yes!" The girl's dark voice is bright in the air, a sudden wave of excitement catching her heart and throwing it forward. She has grown tired of watching the harp; it makes a pretty sound, but as far as she can tell does little more. A buzz of magic surrounds it, just as it surrounds the ram-horned colt, but it is impossible for her to grasp the threads and hold them in her soul. Instead she has focused on the bright, fresh earth around his hooves, black eyes voids as she puzzled through the sensations and scents. Tendrils of power woven deep; she played with them for a minute or less, before reproducing them all at once in an explosion of delighted understanding and strength. Now she beams pointedly at the ground between their feet, watching it shift as life comes to the fore, and a bed of grass springs up around the time-lapse bloom of a lone yellow rose.

She looks at him and suddenly, in an unexpected flush of emotion, wanes self-conscious. So focused had she been that she had forgotten the stallion entirely, lost in the magic that tore bright lazy circles through her eyes. Tandavi is proud of her newest strength, but for this son of the earth is it more than a trick? She suddenly wants very much to impress her new friend, to make him smile as he has not so far. "Do you like it?" she asks, and the dark voice is soft, vulnerable, momentarily free from her usual detachment. For a moment she is just a filly without her dam, wanting a word of approval. Black eyes search him for any sign of that regard, the feelings of bashfulness uncomfortable in her chest. She wants to be his hero but doesn't know that comes with the unfortunate consequence of caring. She wants to make him smile and doesn't know that to get something from another, you must give something of yourself.

But she is learning. "You can have it, if you want," and in her mind she doesn't only mean the rose.

@[Hototo] - sorry for the wait <3

- bg - table - image -