the Rift

[OPEN] It's Been Real

Roskuld the Sparklight Posts: 424
World's Edge General atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 82 | Buff: ENDURE
Zchiraxicon :: Royal Rougarou :: Electric Smithers

Aaaghghg.

Shit.

How long had I been in this rust-heap again? Weeks? Months? Oh, yeah, I knew the exact measurement, of course. 3 weeks, 4 days, 22 hours, 36 minutes, 29 seconds. 30. 31. 32. Y’know, that sort of counting thing. I’m the demon child of Whistle-Fucking Time, after all. I know these things.

What I also know is that 3 weeks, 4 days, 22 hours, 36 minutes, and 37 seconds totally hadn’t passed. Because there wasn’t time. It wasn’t happening. The clock wasn’t moving. It was a stand still.

It was driving me nuts.

Like….how does something like that even happen? How does time not move? Weren’t we aging? Weren’t wounds healing, babies being born, people being slaughtered? Wasn’t that time based? Wasn’t there a place for this in the great slip-stream of time, a niche of history where all these things going on had a designated area on the shelf? You’d think so. There was a goddamn invasion here—an invasion I spent delirious with infection, unable to help these desert folk hold their home. They were able to hold it themselves, but…still. That’s not the point. The question was whether something like this was a part of the world’s—no, the universe’s grand archive of things that have been, things that are, and things that will be?

Honest answer? Nope. The time stream left with Daddy-dearest. Unless I somehow invoked it again, we would be stuck in this limbo where nothing really mattered but it did matter but the universe was telling us to suck it, and seeing as I had no damn clue what I was doing and hadn’t figured out how to invoke it again…

Just…Aaaghghg.

Shit.

Yeah, I needed go. It’s been real, desert wasteland, but I needed to figure out my crap and get my ass into gear. The time (ha) I’ve spent sick with fever and dehydration with an infected burn on my chest had been a truly shitty experience. I’ll treasure it forever and always.

So I left the shade of the palm trees I had been resting under. My legs worked, but they were asleep so that was a thing I had to deal with. With a few stretches and a trot here and there, I made my why north, away from the oasis and the blinding light shooting up into the darkened sky that I had thought meant something. Turns out it meant…something, but nothing I was actually interested in. It didn’t stop my jittering nerves or the sense of impending doom I was feeling--okay, sure, it wasn’t as though I were on a time crunch (ha), but even in my bones I knew 3 weeks, 4 days, 22 hours, 37minutes, and 13 seconds was too long to be idle. I needed to do something. Even if I didn’t know what the hell I was trying to do.

I didn’t think about my dreams—I’ve been having a lot of them. They aren’t pleasant. Just—my dad and my Ma and people I knew and didn’t know and all their eyes on me, their eyes and their judgments pouring from their mouths and their ears and their eyes as they settled on me—

Well. Okay.

I was leaving, and I tried not to think about my dreams.

@[Cera]

[Dated before the sunrise. Ros be leaving. Say bye to her.]
Roskuld</style>

Onni the Illuminant Posts: 194
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 8 Buff: SWIFT
Lyhty :: Diamond Firetail Finch :: Sing Boom Boom!

onni</style>
      if i fall, will you catch me?</style>

She had been coming from the borders. Out all night watching for potential invaders that never came. The night in which the invasion hit shook her heart, just thinking about it. Now, in the shadow of that event, the Illuminant simply would not feel safe within the confines of her desert home. Not now, not ever.

Her hooves dragged tiredly in the night, not wishing to think of anything other than this god forsaken night going on for much too long. If only the sun would rise, set the sky on fire like it always had. If only he would return and show some sign of this being okay. Never had the mare felt so desperately alone than the night of the invasion. Attacked by the Basin, fighting to hold the territory for a god who left without warning. All of the shaman's thoughts of peace, of forgiveness twisted about in her brain until she could scream for hours. Instead, she was just a silent, sleepless zombie watching the borders night after night.

Between her wings, sleeping easily, rests a small bird. At least one of the pair was resting easily, though while the finch was awake, most of his thoughts were directed worriedly at her own well being. Truth be told, Onni was coping better than she had been. Still, the painted girl believed the demons of her soul would not be forgiven. The only sign that they were would be the rising of the sun, and, at this point, what are the chances of that happening ever again?

The shaman had considered leaving, jumping ship. However, leaving Helovia would not relieve the scars on her heart. Ultimately, she could never afford the cost it would be to leave this home. Voltaic is buried here. Her mother is here. The Sun is here. She found Lyhty here. Everything she had left to care for in this world resided here. She would be dead before she left Helovia, and, sadly, the mare accepted this fate.

Someone else was on their way leaving as she was returning, her eyes catching on the glint of a horn in the night. Questioningly, the painted girl begins to walk in the direction of the child, who seemed more out of it than she. With a wary voice, Onni reaches out before getting too close. "Hello."

image by redbeansandrice @ flickr.com</style>
 just enough dark to see</style>
  how you're the light over me.</style>

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit

Midas is gone.

Cera had no idea where he was, or why he had gone so suddenly, but he missed him. He had been abandoned, again. This time, it stung far worse. He tried not to think about it, tried to keep busy, but...he was still just a kid. Tonight, today, whatever it was, he had returned from an encounter with Mystique. Still unsure of how to feel, what to think, his aerodynamic appendages had embraced the fickle wind and taken him slowly home. The air was sweet, but stale as it kissed his nostrils, and if he closed his eyes and let himself go well...nobody was there to judge him. And if he let himself drop limply from the sky, Ilaria curled upon his shoulders trustingly, nobody could call him suicidal, or strange. He was alone in a world that had been occupied by only his father for so long. What was he going to do now?

How was it that someone so kind and outgoing, would end up friendless and alone? Where had he gone wrong, all this time? Was it his attachment to his father? Had he not been independent enough? Had it been the lack of a female figure in his life?

Hush, comes a familiar, feminine voice inside his head. No, it's more than that. The word resonates in a way that is more than intrusive. It's almost like he thinks it too, and it's...comforting. Ilaria cooed gently to him, fluffy tail swaying in a comforting, purposeful caress against his shoulder. The crimson sands of his home glow in the light of the pillar that has been their only hope all this time. Everything is silent, still. Aside from the push of his wings and the soft breaths that blow back in a crisp warm-cold hybrid, there is nothing else. Complete...all-consuming...silence.

The world is lonely, and so is he.

The magnolia tree is well within his sights, where he had left Roskuld last- the girl he and Gaucho had found injured within their borders, and who he had pledged to protect and care for despite her objections- when a glint of movement catches his eye. Frowning, he doesn't even think twice before he shoves his left shoulder towards the earth and snaps his wings close, falling in a tight spiral towards the sand below. He lands with a sharp thud, legs aching, but he is already advancing with wings raised as high and far as he can. All he knows is that Roskuld is moving, leaving the safety of the tree, and somebody is approaching her whom he can't make out. A snarl is on his face, Ilaria bristling on his shoulder, and he charges the person who is coming close to Roskuld.

His forelegs lift high in a promise of strike a few lengths before he reaches the unknown figure, only to realize it was no intruder, but a Throat citizen. Stopping, he calmed his angered breathing, and stared at her with a puzzled and sheepish face. When it really hit him, finally took hold, the apologetic face of realizing it was a normal Throat inhabitant changed to realizing it was really Onni. Onni, the only person aside from his father he actually knew, actually loved. The one who had saved his life as a child, the only female he could trust to give him solid advice and whom he looked to when in need of a mother. "Onni," he breathed, and his face crumbles into the weakest it has ever been. Lost, helpless. He hasn't seen his father in countless nights, the only person he has left is standing nearby, and he has only known her for a short while. He's still just a kid. He can't do this alone. Just a kid...

His muzzle reaches for her, craving her touch, but he's hesitant and his lips dither with uncertainty. Finally he turns his head away, Ilaria cooing in distress on his shoulders, and wonders if she reached out to him too. If he meant anything to her, as she did to him.

He turns emerald eyes to Roskuld then, and he moves towards her, Ilaria peering over his shoulder to chirp at her in recognition. "Roskuld...are you okay?" Worry is coating every syllable, wanting to know why she is not waiting for him, if she was even waiting at all. Selfishly he hopes she was, because even if she may not like him, she is his only friend. A destructive friendship gave him reason to live. Loneliness did not.

---
That was literally the WORST post I have ever made. I am extremely disappointed in myself, and I am so sorry that this is what I gave you guys.

If your heart wears thin, I will hold you up, and I will hide you when it gets too much
I am Ceraaaa
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!

That sand—that stupid sand—holy lord I hated that sand already. It was nothing but huge clumps of hot, grainy sons of bitches that got caught in the most uncomfortable places. How long had I been walking—six, seven minutes? And I already had sand lodged in so many tiny crevices you’d be shocked; in my hoofs, all deep in my frogs; in my ears somehow, I guess because of the wind or whatever the hell; in places you don’t need to envision, so just forget about that idea. Just….wherever my body creased, there was sand in it, and it was hot sand and stupid sand and itchy, scratchy sand and it was god awful.

So when this one lady came ambling towards me, I had a huge scowl on my face that had nothing to do with her and everything to do with the sand stuck up my ass. I felt bad, too, because she was sweet-looking and docile (and just a little bit familiar), and I knew from experience that I should leave those types of girls alone because I bite hard and I’m kind of a jerk and I didn’t mean to offend anyone at that particular moment. I just had…things to do.

I didn’t have much time to greet her with something better than a nod and a “What it do,”, though. Because Cera was coming, and my feelings toward him were…mixed.

Yeah, I liked the guy. Other than the obvious debt I owed to him for saving my life in this dry-ass place, I thought he was pretty chill; he was the kind of doofus that Bro was, so I guess that relaxed me a lot. But he was shaken—whether he was shaken by nature or shaken by some recent event, I couldn’t say, but I guess the Invasion was a valid prediction. It bothered me, though, because worry lined every nook and crevice on his body whenever he looked at me, and he was so worried about me and my health. So worried. It was….actually kind of stifling, to be honest.

I took it in stride, though, because I did need him—and he really wasn’t that bad of a guy, honestly. He just needed a kick in his ass to get him in shape, that’s all. Even now as he approached me, dropping from the sky in one of those graceful ways that always made me slightly jealous, I could see the jitters rock his sides, his legs, his eyes as they rested on me and the lady (who was still familiar and it was starting to get on my nerves because who the hell WAS she?) and I could already tell what was about to come out of his mouth: “Are you okay, Roskuld?” “Everything alright, Roskuld?” “Are you comfortable enough, Roskuld?”

*"Roskuld...are you okay?"*

Called it. “I…no.” I had considered lying for a moment, just to spare his poor, tattered nerves, because I’m merciful like that sometimes. But at that moment I thought fuck it because I didn’t feel like hiding the truth right now. It was hard for me to lie, anyway; I wasn’t bred for dishonesty. “No, everything’s real shitty right now, actually. I feel like shit, the world’s shit, and I’ve been being too damn lazy while I got shit to do ‘n….shit.” My voice was more aggressive than I intended; as the words left my mouth, my head spun just a little, just enough to piss me off even more, and I realized I probably hadn’t recovered as well as I should have. Damn it. It’s not like I had a choice; I had to leave, sick or healthy or otherwise.

“I gotta go, Cera,” I told him, trying to get my voice even and nicer as I looked up into his shaky green eyes, “There’s stuff I gotta do and things I need to know and….junk. It’s been real, but I gotta go.” I was compelled to take a step away from him; and as soon as I did, I approached him again, the scowl anew on my face. “I don’t know what I’m doing, Cera,” I blurted, suddenly impatient and pissed all over again; I snorted and stomped my hoof once, my eyes straying over to the pale-faced lady (because she was familiar she was familiar she was familiar) before settling back on Cera. “I really don’t have a clue what I’m supposed to be doing. I came here in the first place because of the Gods, because I saw that pillar thingy and I thought maybe it had something to do with a God and I—“

--I remembered!

My eyes suddenly widened mid-sentence; my gaze fell on the white faced lady who had approached me first. “I know you!” I spat, taking a step towards her, my eyes roving all over her body in a rather indecent manner, but I knew who she was, I knew who she was. “You fought with me! All that time ago. You fought the fire…thing…with me. You flew.” My eyes continued to stretch, but my voice was faltering somewhat as the memories started rushing past my eyes. “You flew at it.”

@[Onni]
@[Cera]

Roskuld</style>

Hidden Account

onni</style>

What it do. Strange. Onni's face pinches up in an uncertain expression, as though the words upon the little filly's lips made no sense to her. They really did not. She is tired, her brain slow, and so the unfamiliar grouping of syllbles makes her mind reel. Thankfully, just as she is about to drown in the awkwardness of her confusion, familiar hoof beats appear. Turning toward the approaching stallion, the shaman's eyes widen.

Cera. He had grown so tall, so broad. When had he transformed from the small foal she had revived into a full grown man? Onni realizes now more than ever that she is aging. The days of her youth will fade, and what will she have to show for it? Instead of growing depressed, she smiles. The life of this boy, strong and able, is the reason for her existence if nothing else. To save his life, she has earned hers. Bending into his touch, Onni nudges Cera's neck gently in welcoming. "It is good to see you."
Truly.

It seems the strange pony of a filly is known, an identity slapped onto her masked face. For a moment, Onni almost expects her to bravely swallow the discomfort that was written across her entire figure in response to Cera's question. Instead, her brashly honest response causes the brows of the pale face to raise, the shaman listening carefully to the words of the girl. Despite the tattered appearances of the young bodies around her, the mare begins to feel a little lighter.

Who gives a damn if the Sun does not return? If they are trapped in this hellish night forever, life continues. Days blend together, but there are those who keep you anchored in time. There are other things to live for after the light dims.

More surprise catches the painted girl just as she gets used to the strange lilt of Roskuld's voice. Lyhty is so startled by the sudden jilt of Onni's body that he rouses, chirping unhappily outward with glaring, beady eyes, as if to say, shut the hell up. The healer smiles in recognition. She remembers the girl now, barely old enough to travel on her own and already battling monsters. "I remember," she says calmly. "You fought bravely, miss."

"Why are you seeking things related to the Gods?"

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit

Beautiful, intense jewels pin him fiercely where he stands, and Cera gives a tiny lilt of a smile because he knows. Somehow, he knows she feels tied down by his worry, because she is not the kind to hide her emotions. Roskuld had no bars, no ties, no barriers that she could not overcome with her sheer, stubborn will. Despite her griping over his worried mother-hen attitude, Cera could not bring himself to stop. It was all he knew, now. With Midas, Ranjiri, and Hototo gone, miles away from him, Cera had nobody to love or take care of. Just when he had been going insane, lonely and with nobody to talk to, Roskuld had been deposited directly into his lap. Or, perhaps the better wording was that she had been deposited directly upon his borders. Maybe he did not change her life as much as she did his, but he was magnificent at counting and clutching his blessings. Even when she moved on and left their bloody-sanded abode, her memory would remain, an after-image that would keep him company until the day his family was returned to him.

Surely enough, as he lands with a soft thud upon the particles below, he can see the exasperated amusement in her features. Before she speaks, a soft lilting voice caresses his ears like the loving croon of a dove, reminding him how he had spoken her name. Turning his cranium back towards her, emerald diamonds went wide in surprise when he realized that he had to look down upon her sweet face for the first time. If there was a truer testament to how much he had grown, Cera did not know it. In their presence, the tremors subside, the depression is pushed away, and soon the glow of the embers inside are being fanned by their familiar faces, and he is glowing anew. "You seem to have shrunk, Miss Onni!" he chuckled, voice noticeably deeper from his chipper, boyish voice the last time he had laid eyes upon her homely features. Together they move, and they touch one another easily, with a familiar knowledge that is more intimate than that of a normal kinship of the Throat. Onni had saved his life, as a babe, and because of it he had grown to know her deeply, and he loved her similarly. "It has been far too long. It warms my hear to see you, Miss Onni."

Withdrawing and straightening from the hunch he'd adopted in order to reach her slighter frame, Cera's ears swivel to Roskuld, to hear her deny her own health. Frowning, he watches her carefully, studying her, but careful this time not to show too much concern or pity. If anything, she is thrice the warrior he is, and her strength will last her endlessly. Her words coil on her tongue like a writhing snake, spat out with similar venom, though it seems even she does not know where it is directed. Cera decides not to take it the wrong way, and quietly listens until at last she shoves into his face, angrily stomping her hoof into the sand below. He is far taller than her, an extra year or so granting him that advantage, but he is respectful of the power he instinctively senses, and does not treat her like a child because of stature. After all, Kri was about her size, and Roskuld would likely get along fabulously with the chocolate titan. That, or they would destroy each other like two rabid cats testing out newly sharpened claws.

"I understand, Roskuld. It is time for you to move on, you don't have to explain yourself to me." Spoken with a calm smile, Ilaria chirrups over his shoulder in agreement at the youth. Her anger was wild, but it wasn't because of him, so he managed a soft response. "You don't have to know. People are here to help you, even if you don't want them. You have plenty of time to figure it out," he tried to comfort, though he was hesitant to be snapped at should he say the wrong thing.

Of course, something snapped in recognition, and Roskuld's attentions were swiftly pivoting towards Onni instead, proclaiming her knowledge that had apparently only just then settled. Cera sat back and watched, intrigued, but said nothing as the two maidens began to converse. Lyhty's anger at the disruption makes Cera smile fondly at him, though he doesn't want to attract the attention of the fierce little songbird. He'd likely get his eyes pecked out. Instead he would just appreciate the little spitfire from afar. Tuning back into the conversation he shifted his weight to a more comfortable stance, idly reaching his wing out to attempt to brush Onni's flight feathers. He was a creature of touch, ever since birth, and now that he finally had someone he loved and cared for deeply at his side, he didn't want to miss the chance.

If your heart wears thin, I will hold you up, and I will hide you when it gets too much
I am Ceraaaa
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!

She remembered me too, which proved I wasn’t going nuts with PTSD or something, because the memory was starting to flash before my eyes vividly and I could feel the overpowering heat and burn of the smoke that wrecked my chest and I could almost smell the husking stink of “giant reptile”. I remembered her pale face in the darkness—well, okay, I didn’t know it was her face but I remember seeing it anyway. She said I fought bravely—well, hmm. I didn’t feel particularly brave. In fact, I’m pretty sure I distinctly decided to improvise the whole thing because why the hell not? I needed to do something and this…was the first time someone told me I had done something right.

I choked up for a moment, my mouth sort of gulping open and closed in my momentary stupor, because it was a novel experience for me. I didn’t know how to respond to praise, or even a mild complement, because that just never happens. What do you say? How do you respond? “Er….you too,” I mumbled, my eyes awkwardly cast to the side, scuffing a bit of the sand I hated so much. I meant what I said, too, but I’m not much of a socialite and being polite isn’t something I practice on the daily. Was I doing it right? Was I making it too awkward?

She interrupted me, though, this time with the biggie: *“Why are you seeking things related to the Gods?"* Which, knowing me, was an easy enough question to answer: Because my dad’s a big jerk in the sky and someone should’ve told me a long time ago and it’s sort of a requirement in the Demi-God Curriculum Of Finding-Out-What-The-Fuck-To-Do. But another thought hit me—that these people had no clue that my dad was the God of Fucking Time. And a part of me wondered if I really wanted them to know me as the daughter of Time and Shock….and I don’t really know why, but it was an intriguing idea, and I sort of…ran…with it. “Because I was never taught these things,” I answered, “and I really, really want to find someone who can teach me.” All of which was perfectly true, except that it lacked a detail or three. In all honesty, I wanted them to know me as Ros instead of The Time Daughter Roskuld, just in case I actually do fudge the bucket and fail horrendously in whatever the hell I was supposed to do.

Cera chimed in, though, saying some super funny shit that made my eyebrows rise; I didn’t have to know? I had plenty of time to figure it out? Cera, poor Cera—if only you had a clue of how much time I had! All this freaking time on my hands and the sands in the hourglass still seemed to be finding a leak somewhere—it wasn’t enough, it was never enough. They were so hilarious to me, his words of comfort, that I actually fell out laughing, completely breaking down in raucous screams of laughter. Once I started, it was hard to stop; the longer I laughed, the harder it came, and I felt like such the asshole for laughing at Cera like that, believe me I did. I appreciated his concern, because it was nice someone was thinking in your best interest, even if it was a little vexing at times. He had no clue, though. None.

It was moments before I reigned it in, pulling myself back together, regaining some semblance of the manners my Ma had tried to teach me all my life. I was still hiccupping slightly, my eyes glazed with a film of tears, when I looked back at Cera, then to Onni. “…..Sorry,” I gasped, still breathless from the laughter. “Just remembered a…joke.” I shifted uncomfortably from hoof to hoof, distinctly aware that I had just done something extremely rude and extremely odd, too. Wasn’t I supposed to be sneaking out of this place? Way to be inconspicuous, Ros. “So…..I mean, I dunno,” I said again, my earlier gruffness coming back to me. “I really do want to learn more about the gods, though. Do….do either of you know anyone who can help me?” I looked from one pair of eyes to the other tentatively; asking for help was a huge ego buster, but I didn’t have much of an ego at this point. I mean, look at me. I’m stark, raving mad.

Roskuld</style>

Hidden Account

onni</style>

You seem to have shrunk! a good natured smile responds, Onni's sky eyes crinkling around the edges. Aye, it was as if her body had shrunk when standing next to one so tall who had been so small. Midas had carried him home on his back, he had been so small. Now, Cera might be able to return the favor. The thought itself makes the painted girl smirk, her lips curling up and finding their former place on her pale mask. How long had it been since she had smiled whole-heartedly?

Onni becomes rather quickly aware that Roskuld is an interesting child.
The bright tones of her eyes disappear toward the crimson sands in the night, escaping the shaman's gaze as a compliment is waged into the air. The girl might be shy, if not for her rather brash and loud mouth. Instead, she just seemed unfamiliar with the idea of conversation with a friendly partner, as though her whole life had been a slew of insecurities and insults. The returned comment is right on cue, but something is hesitant.

And she only gets more interesting, as Cera's comments send her into a reel of laughter. Onni's eyes widen, the blank canvas of her face stretched into lines of confusion, and the small songbird perched upon her looks terrified. Is she insane? Lyhty asks in the depths of their shared mind; the shaman does not have an answer. In fact, the manic laughter would suggest a mind of instability, but the healer cannot even steel herself well enough to examine the situation from that detached of a standpoint. Instead, the fit of laughter makes her move slightly closer to the faint brush of feathers on her own. A herd animal seeking the comfort of another. Primitive but natural.

When the laughter finally clears, Roskuld attempts to bring back to light her interest in the Gods. Shaking her head clear, the shaman listens carefully, her mind seeking out answers to help the poor child. "You could learn from the source," the mare says pretty flatly. "Visit the Veins and pray to their forgotten shrines, but they may not answer your call."

"Otherwise, each herd hosts some form of an Oracle, a Diviner - they are said to be close with the Gods."