the Rift

[PRIVATE] Through the Eyes of a Child [Nao]

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod

Seeking solitude after his discussion with Ulrik and his entertaining hellhound pup, Kirchoff, Torleik avoided contact with others for what he assumed was a day, give or take. When he felt the air shift, felt something in the land change, he wandered back down from the small cave he had found near the Frostbreath Steppes. It was home, for now; a sparse hovel, really. Torleik decided he needed to furnish the hole in the earth with something, anything, to make it feel less like he was hiding as a fugitive in a cave and more like he was settling - at least semi-permanently.

His steps took a mildly familiar path, back to the lake that never quite froze so that he might drink. Leaning down, a strange glint caught his eye and the stallion looked around for the first time, actually seeing what was around him. And what was around him was light.

The sun was slowly crawling over the horizon, emerging with the dogged determination of the undead from the grave. Cocking his head to the side a fraction, Torleik could not say he was pleased. He enjoyed the night. His beloved moon sat regally in the sky for him to gaze upon and take peace from the serenity of the white orb for as long as he wished - or it had, with the seemingly endless night in Helovia.

Now the brutish sun with his egotistical need to dominate the day had returned, and with him, burning photons that made Torleik's eyes ache and prevented him from seeing anything that might be high in the sky above.

This made the Aurora Basin soldier tense. The darkness was no threat; a dark stallion or mare might be hard to see, but that could be remedied. Now there was too much light, and that could not be undone so easily. Frowning, the stallion leaned down and drank his fill of water, flicking a velvety ear to the side when he heard soft hoof-falls crunching on the snow. Tossing a glance in that direction, he raised his anvil head, a small smile on his wet lips. It was Nao again, the curious little filly he had met before.

"Good morning, Nao," he rumbled. "It seems we are no longer locked in night." There was obvious disappointment in his words as he gazed forlornly at the sky with squinting, barely-open slits for eyes. Torleik returned his gaze to the ground, to look at the little unicorn. "How are you, little one?"

@[Nao]

TORLEIK

"And when I close my eyes tonight to symphonies of blinding light, like memories in cold decay, transmissions echoing away, far from the world of you and I, where oceans bleed into the sky. God save us, everyone. Will we burn inside the fire of a thousand suns for the sins of our hands, the sins of our tongues, the sins of our fathers, the sins of our young?"

[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

Nao Posts: 11
Aurora Basin Phantom
Filly :: Unicorn :: 15.4hh :: 2
Adoptable

NAO</style>
Treading this lightless night
I will pay karma's price
</style>

""

The spotted filly had awoken to the odd feeling in the atmosphere, and the temperatures that seemed warmer than usual. She stirred, the rim of her maw pressing into the damp shadows of the small chamber. Hey eyes finally opened, and she looked outside. The fae didn't seem to notice anything wrong at all. A sigh escaped her lips, and instinct drew her clumsily on cloven feet. A cool breeze slid in, brushing onto her flank. The hairs on her neck pricked as the feeling of a strange eeriness crept into her mind, and turned her insides a little.

She faced the doorway to the dark chamber with morning tiredness finally creeping in. Slowly, Nao dragged herself to the entryway and poked her face out. Her gaze withdrew and she let out another sigh.

Quiet as usual.

The filly wished there were more foals or playful unicorns to have some fun with. Although with this overwhelming darkness giving off more then usual depression, and how cold this made the natives feelings. It was no surprise that she wished for something that would make the Basin a little more happy. Something bright and positive. The Basin was no place for a child. Yet she had adapted to it with ease.

Creeping along, she pulled herself out of the chamber and into the silent valley. Her sight finally led up to the sky, that she saw was always dark and often filled with stars. Until now, Nao suddenly realized something was very off. The sky was... was lighter it appeared. How could that be? And the stars seemed to be fading away quickly. She gazed onward moments, directing her view onto where the sky was becoming the brightest. The rim of the Sun settled there, and was rapidly invading the dark world with it's light. The spotted filly stiffened, her multi-colored eyes widened and she continued staring. Until the sky was a shade of lapis, stars were only but of a speck, and light poured at the tops of the peaks.

Her heart rapidly began beating faster, and she felt her entire mood brighten. Her leonine tail flicking and curling around with anxiety overtaking. The filly let out a laugh, an excited and anxious laugh that filled the air. She felt herself rear up into the lit up blue, and her vocals rung out

"The Sun! It's Come Back!"

Her cloven hooves felt the permafrost earth beneath again, and she hurled herself forward, kicking up the frost of Birdsong. She raced along not caring and noticed the reactions of many other herd mates who seemed happy, surprised, or uncertain. Until she felt her limbs prick with exhaustion, she slowed to a trot, and finally halted at the edge of the lake. Nao gazed around The Basin, and she quickly noticed the figure of Torleik. She picked her way through the snow and to him. He turned and spoke welcomingly. Nao flicked her tail in happiness.
"Mhm." She agreed, nodding.

When he had questioned how she was, she replied

"Great! It feels rejoicing to see the Sun again. I thought it would never return."

Nao then noticed the light was pouring into the Basin and making it's way to the lake. The filly knew sooner or later she would have to find some shade from the morning light. She thought bitterly
In a moment I was celebrating it's return... now I have to worry about getting burned again!

Credits

The little filly’s exclamation that the sun had returned was so joyous Torleik almost felt guilty for not sharing in her thrill. He was a nighttime kind of stallion, one who preferred the solitude of the moon and the dark sky; work was to be performed during the day and pleasure (in all of its forms) taken during the evening. Somehow, the sun rising again in this place felt wrong to him. He made his way leisurely towards the child who had cried out happily, meeting her at the edge of the Basin Lake.

“You like the sun? The Sun God?” he inquired, everything about him infinitely more gentle with younglings. One day, Torleik would make a magnificent father, but he did not see that day arriving soon. Perhaps he could father a child with one of the mares here, but he could not raise the child on his own if he wanted nothing to do with the mother. And, he felt, a child should have a family. A mother, a father, a solid unit in which to trust. He would always be grateful to his parents for providing him with that. The stallion noticed Nao’s body language change as she looked around at the lake and he softly pressed his muzzle to the top of her little head. “What troubles you?”

TORLEIK

"Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth."

No man is an island.

Nao Posts: 11
Aurora Basin Phantom
Filly :: Unicorn :: 15.4hh :: 2
Adoptable

NAO</style>
Treading this lightless night
I will pay karma's price
</style>

""
As she stared upon the vast and newly lighted basin, Torleik spoke. “You like the sun? The Sun God?” Almost as if he were surprised that she praised it's extremely over-due return. Nao wouldn't say that she worshipped the Sun God, more that now that they have returned, it has finally brought sight and warmth back. And The Basin in the long eclipse, had been hit hard the most. With the snow piling up even higher, and the temperatures dropping even lower then usual. Anyone would feel praise for the sun to have been lit up again.

"Well, I wouldn't say I follow the Sun God... Wait, how long have you been in Helovia? Has anyone told you how long we've lived in the dark?"

She turned over to him, and her eyes widened in puzzlement. As if suddenly she had realized how much the hibernation had gone on. It had been several seasons, not only did they receive no contact of any form from the Sun, but as well as the Moon, Earth, and Time gods. It was terrifying and the Helovian lands had been even more corrupt then usual in those times. Everyone's sanity was slowly draining away, if it hadn't already before. But slowly, and painfully, each god had decided their times to return and bring back the life of the realm. Nao still didn't understand why the gods had decided this. Was this a lesson on hope?

Suddenly as the sun's light poured in more, it finally touched the top of her dome as it bobbed up. Her maw nestling lower in the reaction of the brimming warmth that sparked onto her skin. An a chilling sigh left her lips for the heat that she hadn't felt in so long. The sun would soon reveal her head and body, and she would have to be careful for it not to be damaged. The filly suddenly realized that Torleik had realized that she was indeed troubled and nestled his muzzle onto her head. “What troubles you?” He questioned politely.

Her expression had spread into a worried glance, and she spoke "It's.. It's the sun. If I'm in it for too long, I can get burned badly." Her orbs swiftly glanced back onto her freckled back. "My dad calls it.. Allergies?" She spoke, the last of her words coming into a question as if to say if she said it right.

Credits

Torleik awaited the little one's answer, giving a sort of shrug when she asked how long he had been in Helovia. "Not very long," he admitted. How long had he been here? A month? Two? A few weeks? It was incredibly difficult to tell time without the rise and fall of the sun and moon, though Torleik was used to watching the stars. He had kept some semblance of a calendar that way and knew that he had been here at least two weeks - when he bothered to look up.

"I can't say anyone has directly addressed the lack of sun other than to tell me it has been night for a very long time,". That was true. The most detailed conversation he'd had was with Faelene, the Basin's Thief, but even she had not given him more detail than a brief overview. He did not know when things had gone dark in relation to days or seasons. Torleik watched Nao's reaction to the sun's rays and inquired what was wrong, trying to comfort the little one with a touch to the head. She claimed she could be burnt by the sun if she stayed in it for too long, and this made him curious. He had never experienced such a thing. However, she mentioned her father, and Torleik recalled a memory.

"Your father is the Time-Mender, yes?" he asked.

TORLEIK

"So lost for so long to find to my way. I failed to follow, I'm out of place."

No man is an island.