the Rift

[OPEN] Wherever your heart resides.

Hototo Posts: 96
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 17.2hh :: 3 years
Boom Boom!

HOTOTO</style>
 Let the meek have the kingdom of heaven; the strong shall rule on earth.</style>

I am tired of playing hide and seek for my parents, really. Father is no where to be found, and I am without a quest. Mother, well, mother has been missing for a while. I suppose it is my fault for not visiting home soon enough, but now I am slightly at a loss. Am I to make the Foothills out to be my home, when my family is no longer awaiting me there? What ties do I have to that land without mother or Nuna?

Very little, which would be why I left in the first place.

Now, the rain pours down from above, showering the earth with much needed water. The spring showers making for brightly colored flowers, lighting up against the dreary grey skies. Water, however, is somewhat of a natural enemy to most birds. Why? When feathers get wet, they become heavy and worthless. Mine, at the moment, are clinging so tightly to the skin that I can hardly breathe under their weight. Okay, so I am exaggerating a bit, but still - they are heavy. My strong, muscled legs pull me forward despite the mud forming under the grass.

I am a vagabond now, with no home to return to. I have little option but to seek out Midas in the Dragon's Throat, for surely he will know where mother is. I should have done that sooner, instead of trying to speak to my father. I figured the Earth God would know, but, ultimately, I forgot that he is also very busy. With spring in full swing, flowers were blossoming everywhere, grasses growing richer, and that was no miracle. That is the work of a God, kind and strong in his influence. I smile, despite water dripping from my chin and splashing against my bronze hooves as I walk.

My flowing silver mane and tail are drenched, clinging to my face and neck, my tail dragging like a heavy rope behind me on the floor. Despite how fast my limbs are growing these days, my tail always manages to be just that much ahead, making for a largely annoying amount of instances where I get stuck on tree trunks by my tail. Some day, I would learn the fine art to avoid such circumstances, but I am still to young now to know better.

Despite how annoyed I have sounded thus far, I am actually in a fairly bright mood despite the gloomy weather. In fact, I am humming a little tune to mimic what I think rain sounds like. The magical harp which hovers so strangely around me plays in time, mirroring my intentions without me having to direct the little instrument. My harp is not a living being, but it has kept me company for a while now. I even catch myself talking to it at times, and though that makes me feel a little crazy, what else am I to do?

My loved ones are strung out across this massive land, many of which I cannot seem to locate no matter how hard I try. Maybe my luck will start to look up.
I hope so.

@[Ktulu] <3

Art by Krazie!</style>

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali

when your eyes are red and emptiness is all you know
with the darkness fed i will be your scarecrow</style>

Eytan was a very strange looking creature when he was soaked to the bone, Ktulu mused as she stood under one of the few trees that dotted the Thistle Meadow and watched her companion. He went from being a big ball of fluff (albeit a scary ball of fluff) to a thin rat looking thing. "Shut it." His voice grumbled in her head, which only made her laugh and it felt so good to laugh. She laughed and she giggled until her sides hurt and her eyes filled with tears. "You should see how ridiculous you look, Eytan." The dark mare replied back between fits of giggles. "I no look ridiculous!" The bear insisted. "I'm scary!" To further his claim Eytan roared, but there was a chill in the air from the rain and his roar was cut short by sneezes.

Ktulu burst into another fit of laughter and shook her head. "Sure you are." She answered him. "Very scary indeed. What do you call that? A sneeze attack?." The bear's ears lowered even further on the sides of his head and he glowered at his bonded even though he knew she was only messing with him. It was all a game and he couldn't complain too much. Ever since she'd left the Foothills behind she'd been easier to talk to and get along with.

Still, Eytan wanted to be the winner of the little game they were playing so he jumped toward his bonded, intent on wrestling her to the ground and standing victorious, but mud was slippery and he wasn't designed to just jump at anything. Instead he ended up slipping in the mud and falling, which splattered mud over Ktulu's side. Ktulu rolled her eyes, turned and trotted away from him as he pulled himself up and set off after him. "Give it up, Eytan!" She called back to the bear who was running behind her. "You'll never catch me." "I WIN!" He insisted as he continued to give chase. "I BEAT YOU! WATCH!"

More laughter rang out over the meadow as the mare continued to run easily away from the soaking and muddy bear.

Credits

Icon by Tay

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!

HOTOTO</style>
 Let the meek have the kingdom of heaven; the strong shall rule on earth.</style>

Washing over me, the rain feels warm, despite the dreariness of the day.

The hum of my voice ringing across the earth, which whispers a quake in response, hardly noticeable. More like a constant vibration than a quake, making the tallest of the grasses dance ever so slightly as I walk by. I am no longer ignorant of such occurrances, knowing my body to be born of magic and a powerful mother. I was never intended to be an ordinary child, and, try though I may to be normal, I will never accomplish it. I am one of the Earth's guardians, born with a purpose. Whatever I would want my existence to be matters little. I just need to keep on the path born for me. I must grow into the position I am to fill.

Destiny has a funny way of picking the worst chap for the job, though. This rain reminds me of the frightened child who left the Foothills, plastering a brave face on. Frightened to live alone in the world, frightened to fail. Like the rain does for the plants, the ordeal of this past winter and spring had helped me grow. The weight of the lives of others on my shoulders rested uneasily at first, but now in the absence of that weight I felt strangely empty. Would Atlas feel the same if he placed the earth down, even for a moment? I wonder.

As the harp plays the tune that I hum, I begin to hear a skip in the harmony. The disruption breaks the concentration of my former thoughts, and, with a clearing head, I begin to glance around. Voice and body pause, the music dying into a quite twinkle in the background. I hear it again. The sound is laughter, so strangely familiar, but the more familiar the more strange it becomes. Mother? I think to myself. Immediately I try to dismiss this thought, for how often had I heard my mother laugh in the months growing at her side?

There it is again.
Laughter.
Mother's unmistakeable laughter.

Stretching my head high above the grasses, much less of a feat for me now that I stood nearly seventeen hands from the earth. My soaking crown twists and turns, bicolored eyes seeking out the sleek black figure with a waving white banner. I listen for the sighing of her laughter, the thud of hooves. It is then I see her from a distance.

This is a moment that I will recall on my death bed, not because it is fanastic in any normal sense. The swelling of my heart, the instant that my eyes meet her tears begin to fall. The sound of her laughter echoing in my mind. The way rain fell between us. The comical appearance of Bear chasing after her as fast as he can. The slap of grass against her white washed legs. No matter who you meet in life, no matter where you go, the most important being in your life will always be your mother.

I smile into the rain, and, with a hearty and masculine voice, I begin to laugh as well. Just when you give up hope of finding the one thing in the world you need, it stumbles upon you unwittingly.

I am not sure if the universe has a sense of irony or is just an ass.
Probably both.

My long limbs take to speed, racing across the field with undue speed. The harp whistles against the wind as it speeds alongside me, raindrops splashing against our frames, my laughter rushing ahead. I make my way to run side by side, glancing over with joyous eyes and a long, tight grin. "Mother!"

Art by Krazie!</style>

Ktulu was enjoying the game of chase with Eytan, but she was not so enraptured in it that she missed the heart wrenching scent of someone she knew and hadn't seen in months. Because she knew that scent so well she did not stop the game and, instead, altered her path so it would bring her by her now grown son. Unlike his bonded, Eytan was so enraptured that he did not notice Hototo's presence nor acknowledge it like he would have. The bear continued to give chase, but the conversation between him and Ktulu had gone from the bear claiming that he would win to curses thrown at the mare and claims that her longer legs were the only reason that she was winning.

Another set of hooves joined with Ktulu's and that was when Eytan finally took notice of Hototo. The grizzly stopped in his pursuit and stood staring at his grown charge as he raced across the field toward his mother. Ktulu continued to run, her head turning enough so that she could glance at her son and give him a half smile. She then turned her attention forward and shifted from the easy canter she had been in into a full blown gallop.

Chunks of mud flew up behind her as she ran and she laughed again because it had been quite some time since she'd enjoyed herself and quite some time since she'd had her son running by her side. He was grown and taller than she was, obviously more matured, but she almost felt as if he hadn't ever left her side and it made her confident that they could pick up where they had left off with being a family.

The edge of the meadow was coming quickly, but Ktulu did not slow down even as the trees came closer and closer. She had spent a good deal of her life living in a forest, running through the trees, blending with shadows. As she broke through the treeline her pace slowed enough so that she could navigate the forest with a little more ease. All the while she continued to glance at Hototo to see if he was keeping pace with her.

Eytan had stopped some distance back and as his bonded moved through the treeline he grumbled to himself as he turned and ambled back to the tree he had been standing under before Ktulu had challenged him.

One day he would win.

ooc:// wasn't expecting a race but okay xD

Credits

Icon by Tay

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!

HOTOTO</style>

The slight smile, the tilt of her head, the glimmer of mischief within crimson pools. How I had missed my mother, the amount of which had been unknown until this moment. Onward I ran, racing against the distance, sidling up next to her. My longer legs match her stride, a grin growing on my features as we continue to race forward.

The rain falls.
The water pelts against my skin, against my face, washing me like warm tears of relief.

Each breath feels new, my chest growing lighter, a laugh bubbling up from my lungs. Instead of the laugh of a child, it is now the laugh of a man. Regardless of my height, the growing muscle, the burly appearance of my father peering through, there is still the purest form of childlike delight strewn across my features. I would never be able to outgrow my mother, no matter how old I became. While others may view a stallion, I am little more than a buck-kneed colt before her. I grow strong, I grow tall, I grow every day. The place where I remain static will always be by the side of my mother.

The only difference now is that I can keep her pace much easier. I glance over, the white locks plastered to her ebony neck in the rain, blood-tipped horn pointing the way. I am so absorbed with the sheer presence of my oldest companion that I nearly miss the approaching treeline.

If not for her own slowing of pace, I may not have even glanced in their direction. With fumbling limbs, I attempt to regain the image of grace I held just moments before. I weave unevenly through the trees, searching for flashes of bronze and white mingling with the shadows. Unfortunately, my maneuvers are not as precise as mother's, leading to a couple of unpleasant slaps in the face from trees (being taller is not always better, okay).

Another laugh. Hearty smiles. I am no longer lost.

Art by Krazie!</style>

Every step of the way Hototo was at her side and it brought Ktulu back to a time when her son was a suckling. When he listened to her and hung off of her every word and looked at her as if she were some sort of goddess. She wondered if he would still look at her the same way now or if he would see her for what she really was and know that she was not the wonderful being that he had made her out to be. She was far from it and she would not hide it. She could not.

She was reminded again of the knob-kneed little boy that fumbled his steps as they entered the forest. She didn't have to even see his stumbling to know, she just had to hear it. The difference in his pace was sudden and very noticeable. Rather than leave him behind and continue on, Ktulu slowed as she always did when he was a foal to give him time to catch up with her. She had never gone to his aid then to help him and wondered if he resented her for it, but she had not done it out of meanness. She had done it because she wanted him to be self-reliant and strong. She didn't want to coddle him and turn him into something weak because she'd had no misgivings when she'd agreed to be his mother. He was to be something great. He was to be a protector and to be a protector he would have to be strong. Her job was just to raise him and protect him until he was old enough to take on the duties that his father would give him.

Ktulu slowed gradually until she was standing among the trees, her sides heaving as she caught her breath. Under the trees the rain was a little less heavy but drops still found their way down between branches and leaves and splashed against her dark coat. The Constrictor took a deep breath and let it out before turning her gaze on her son and she smiled. He had grown into a handsome stallion and stood taller than she did. He made her feel far older than her four years and it was then that she understood how her father must have felt when she and Ophelia had reached adulthood. What she couldn't understand was how he felt when he discovered that he had grandchildren and she didn't want to make that discovery anytime soon.

"Hototo." She said his name after waiting a few minutes to catch her breath. "Its good to see you." No, it was wonderful to see her son. She was ecstatic to see him because she had worried night after night since he'd taken his leave, but she had swept those feelings under the proverbial rug so she could do her duties protecting the herd. But she had no one to protect now.

Ktulu suddenly stepped forward and reached to hook her neck over her son's withers and pull him against her chest where she held him firmly. Months of worry washed away with the rain because he was finally back and in one piece.

Credits

Icon by Tay

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!

HOTOTO</style>

Mother begins to slow and I follow her lead, gait slowly winding down to a trot. I break beside her, my sides wavering heavily. Despite being young, such sprinting is still not my strongest suit. I am a larger, heftier breed; I know this well. Endurance, speed, agility - I had little of each. What agility I have gained comes from the dexterous figure of my mother, but the majority of my build stems from the solid form of my Father. We are mountains, he and I. Large and imposing. In contrast, we both wear jolly smiles on our exterior instead of a face of stone.

Stone is much more native to my crimson eyed mother.

"I went to the Foothills," I say, after she speaks of me. "You were already gone." I smile sadly, a bit, before my grin enlarges once more. My heart beats excitedly, my mind flooding with memories and happiness. How long had it been since I had set eyes on the ebony figure of my mother? Time had ceased to matter during the Endless Night, but now those months crammed together. Like it had been only moments since I left her side as a yearling. Only now, my withers reach past hers, my figure growing like a weed toward the sun.

As she steps forward, I allow her neck to wrap around me, my own curving to rest my muzzle upon her back. I breathe deeply, reminded of the solace that I had found in my mother's strength. At her side, I often felt as though nothing in the world could harm me. Having faced that world alone, I now felt a different comfort. More than safety, I felt happy. No longer alone against the darkness of the world. I had missed my family. I had missed my mother. I no longer needed her to protect me from the monsters behind tree trunks, but from the demons of my own mind. Company to chase away the loneliness. Love to chase away the insecurity.

Mother.

Taking a few breaths, I smile against her pelt. I had been worried before that she would not be proud of me. Now, I realize that no matter the outcome of my journeys, I will always be her son. It is not about pride. Not about my success. I am not the son of a God, but the son of Ktulu. I am her son.
That will never change.

Art by Krazie!</style>

Ktulu shook her head as Hototo said that he had gone to the Foothills first to look for her. That alone had been one of the arguments she'd had with herself when she'd been trying to decide on if she wanted to stay or leave. In the end, obviously, she'd decided to leave the Foothills because she felt that Hototo would find her when the time came if she didn't find him first. There were times when she had her doubts that he would even bother looking for her. He was a demigod doing whatever his father wanted him to do, would he even have time for his mortal mother? Was she even worthy of being called his mother, anymore? Even now with him standing in front of her the doubts were ringing in her ears.

The dark mare shoved the thoughts forcefully away as she embraced her son. He was there, solid muscle, warm flesh, sturdy and strong like his father and she found herself hoping that he had his father's morality as well. She didn't want him to be like her. "I've missed you." she said her hold on him tightening momentarily because she didn't want to let go of him again. She longed for the days when he was a knob-kneed little colt that stuck to her side like a burr in her tail. She wished to have the days back where she stood watching over him as he played with Eytan and hid from any filly that looked in his direction.

"And I'm so proud of you." Her voice came out as little more than a whisper and her hold on him loosened once more. Having him there left her with a sense of peace that she had not felt since she and Ophelia had been inseparable. Could she just be frozen in time holding onto her son? Was it too much to ask to be genuinely happy and at peace for an eternity?

Credits

Icon by Tay