the Rift

[PRIVATE] Life in the light

Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan

It was strange to think that the river had been covered in ice not a full season ago.

Cascades of glittering water splashed high into the air as Lace rushed into it, groaning with pleasure as the liquid closed over his hot, sticky back. Ignoring the heartless laughter of his dragon he knelt on the steep, muddy river bank and let himself fall to the side, eyes closing and breath suspended as he rolled over, rubbing grime and water and clay into the silver coat.

"Silly dirty fourlegs" Fajira announced as she swooped over him, dropping strands of grass and flower from her talons that immediately got stuck in the sticky muck. The stallion lifted his head and snorted at her, the amused grin spoiling the irritated glare he sent her as thanks.

"Better than having flies crawling over me" he announced before going under again, only emerging once the pale grullo color had disappeared completely and turned him into a horse of unknown appearance, soaked as he was. Only then did he allow himself to lie still, head inched up on a pillow of tall grasses while the shallow, slow river that meandered through the Meadow eased the heat of the day from his muscles.

The days had been unbearably hot ever since the sun had returned. It reminded him of the intense heat that had lingered into Orangemoon the year he came to Helovia, the aftermath, he had been told, of a summer so long and brutal that many had perished from heat and thirst. This was not quite the same thing though. It was simply that the true warmth had arrived so suddenly after the long winter and spring of constant darkness, that they all had trouble adjusting. Sweltering hot days were followed by breathtakingly warm nights, the coasts were almost unbearably moist, and even the northern snows were melting or gone. Lace was glad he weren't in the Edge now, or in the Throat for that matter; how the desert pegasi even survived there had always been a mystery to him.

"I wonder what happened to that armor I ordered from their Forger" he mused aloud; only to suddenly spit and snort, as he found his muzzle covered in the slimiest, greenest muck of mud that Fajira had been able to dig up.
"You little..!" With a squeal of delight the white dragon leaped into the sky as Lace heaved himself up on all four and threw himself after her, ears pinned back but with eyes glittering as he ran after the disappearing lizard, intent to try and catch the tip of her tail that - quite deliberately- dangled just out of reach of his teeth.

It was summer, he was free, with all the time in the world to spare... Shame the times when he allowed himself to relax and enjoy himself like this were so few and far between.

@[Onni]

Dim vales- and shadowy floods-
And cloudy-looking woods,
Whose forms we can't discover
For the tears that drip all over!
Huge moons there wax and wane-
Again- again- again-
- bg - table - image -
BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
The Store | The Warden

Onni the Illuminant Posts: 194
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 8 Buff: SWIFT
Lyhty :: Diamond Firetail Finch :: Sing Boom Boom!

onni. </style>
Distance feels further when you love with fervor 
and no second thoughts.  </style>

The song of a soft, beautiful voice fills the meadow in a nice, loose tune. It is the voice of a single bird, smaller than Onni's hoof, belting out the song of an angel. Lyhty, a small finch, had many skills, one of which is lifting the hearts of others through a song. There is no heart in need of rescuing today, but still, the small winged creature crafts the wind in his small lungs into harmonies; a symphony celebrating the season of light.

Onni's favorite season, for the sun above her head was present for longer hours and more days out of the week.

The shaman sifts through the grasses, tickling her her belly and causing the occasional smile to lift the corners of her mouth. Everything is peaceful in this world. Tallsun returned not long after the arrival of her missed friend, the Sun. Where winter had been the mark for darkness and loneliness, summer greeted her like an old friend. The healer had not felt so light of heart for months, even during the breaking of the sun at dawn signalling the end of night. Usually it is these times that we stumble upon unexpected heartaches.

This time, it would only be a familair yet distant face.

Despite her joy at the month of summer, the heat is taxing upon even the most adapted of the desert's creatures. Sweat pools at the joints of her wings, her legs, and underneath her thick, beaded mane. "Can you see the river, Lyhty?" she asks, squinting her eyes as she turns her face up toward the small, floating bird. East, is all he offers, not wanting to break his concentration on the song still spilling from his beak. A gentle smile rains from her maw, easy steps turning her east, pace quickened to a trot.

Sailing above, Lyhty is like a trumpeter for Onni's presence as they find the edge of the river. The shaman delicately steps through the mud toward the river bank, gently lowering her maw into the crystalline waters below. The light and airy song of her friend draws to a close, the songbird coming to rest on the ground near her hooves and dipping a beak in for his own refreshing drink. It is then that the splashing of another breaks upon Onni's ears, and she quickly turns her face toward the sound.

Much to her surprise, only a few paces from where she stood rested a fellow equine. His face is one that she recognizes vaguely, but the healer cannot seem to place him. Frowning slightly, she raises her crown, peering over with a smile. "Hello, there!" she calls, hoping that his voice would shake the memory of this fellow loose.

A voice called out to them, and with a laughing trill of mock fright the little white dragon turned on a dime and swooped up into the air, just as Lace tried to clamp his teeth around the elusive tail. His ivories clapped shut around the air with a faint click, and as he slid to a halt in the tall grass he turned the head in the direction of the speaker. Mud-caked ears turned forward in interest the yellow eyes came to rest upon the painted dove, alert gaze quickly taking in the wings that lay folded along her sides, the colorful coat and the little bird that flitted around her, filling the air with a song that outdid "..does not!" Fajira's by far.

A smile broke out across the maw of the stallion as recognition slowly sparked his memories, and with neck arched and high knees he danced forth towards her with an elegance and poise that contrasted humorously against his indecent appearance - like a swamp monster doing the tango.

"Hello indeed" he nickered and came to a halt not far from the femme, head bobbing up and down in an energetic greeting more suited for a yearling colt than for a stallion of his age. Lace didn't feel like being dignified or honorable today though, and he quite enjoyed the silly picture he painted - although he had to admit, for a lady of such beauty as she possessed, he wouldn't have minded being presented at his best.

"Now this is a face I haven't seen in a long time. I don't know if you remember, but we've met before. You healed my leg after the Qian took up residence at the World's Edge..." He smiled kindly at the young mare, glad that his memory of her hadn't faded. While he had never been told her name, the vision of those blue eyes through the haze of pain he had been in would never disappear from his mind.

"I am Lace, of the World's Edge... and this" he said as the White came swooping down to flit around them, much too picky to land on his back when he was caked in mud like this, "is Fajira. It's a pleasure to meet you again, lady..?" He gave her a mildly questioning look, hoping against hope that he finally would receive a name to save along with the face of his saving angel.

Again- again- again-
- bg - table - image -
The Store | The Warden

Hidden Account

onni. </style>

A muddied smile greets her, with golden eyes flashing in the light of the sun. The Illuminant watches his movements, hoping that somewhere under all of that strange decor lies a body she would know. Thankfully, even through the plaster of clay, an expression of recognition is mirrored upon him. As such, her smile remains, placcid and calm on her white-washed face.

Seeing the stallion approaching, Lyhty is quick to lift himself from the banks of the river, soaring upward to Onni's shoulder. He perches protectively. Crimson eyes watch the approach of the mud-monster with suspicion, for while the little bird had been present at the invasion, he sure as hell did not recognize this fool. Disdain falls from his small eyes as his beak turns up toward the air, finding himself not liking their new company already. However, this is usually the case when Onni is approached by stallions; a jealous bird will never change, it appears.

Returning a nod to the not-quite-stranger, the shaman bobs her head in a delicate manner before lifting pale blue eyes back to his face, the faint traces of a web underneath splashes of muck. A distinctive mark, one that she recognized, but unable to place. Yes, this stallion she definitely knew. The mare is glad for this, as he appears light hearted and fun from his appearance and nonchalant demeanor. Onni had quite enough shadows and gloom over the winter and spring months to care for stuffy company.

We've met before, he says, and the healer smiles brightly, as silent sign that she did remember, not offering forth the place which she could not remember. Thankfully, he covered the topic for her, and suddenly Onni remembers. The scent of iron and ash filling the thick forest. The kin of the World's Edge bloodied, broken, but also victorious. The scene had been ghastly, and many bones had been healed by the painted girl. The spider-webbed stallion's leg had been badly broken, much like Torasin's. "I remember well," she says, a distant expression on her face.
War never brought a smile to her face, even if it was just a recollection.

A glint of white in the sky catches her attention as Lace introduces himself, seeing the small dragon flutter about, almost as if she were repulsed by her bonded. The shaman lets out a peel of a laugh, with Lyhty chirping a bit hesitantly. He eyed the reptile questioningly, not wanting to be insulting to Lace like he normally would in her presence. A larger, scaled bird is not one he wished to pick a fight with. "Onni," she offers quite naturally as his voice trails, waiting for her own reply. Her eyes fall back on his muddied face, smiling with humor once more.
What a sight.

"Shaman of the Dragon's Throat," she says, before looking a bit sheepish. He likely already knew this tidbit of information, having been healed by her. "The handsome bird upon my shoulder is Lyhty."

"I am glad to see my patient is holding up well these days. Though, I must admit, your appearance is a bit..." Ending the sentence with a bright laugh, the painted girl shakes her head. The beads twisted in her mane jingle as if touched by the wind. "...Messier than I remember."

just enough dark to see</style>
  how you're the light over me.</style>

"Onni" he repeated, the word sweet and gentle upon the tongue. It was a name that suited the beautiful femme, a soft word still possessing both strength and character; something the lady appeared to have plenty of.

"Oh, I am well indeed" he assured with a lopsided grin, half sheepish, half mischievous. "It's because of the mud you see, it does wonders for my complexion." A quick wink was offered the younger mare, and with a flick of the tail towards her that sent muddy stains through the air he started towards the river again - quite tired of the snarky comments about his appearance that Fajira bombarded him with.

It was almost with regret that the rover dunked himself in the flowing waters again. The skin did feel lighter and less itchy without the mud, but the cooling effect it had disappeared almost as soon as the water evaporated into the heat of the day. Some serious scrubbing was needed to get the muck out of both coat and mane, but as he eventually returned up to the pegasus Lace was a grullo once more. Silvery coat darkened by moisture, the golden scars on the back glittering and shimmering in the light of the sun, and in stark contrast to the silky white tassels golden eyes peered out at her from behind the blackness of the cobwebbed mask. Much time had passed since the first time they met. New scars had appeared across the metallic skin, the black brand in shape of a tree most eye-catching among them. But there was still no mistaking the health of the steed as he danced back to the side of the shaman, muscles rippling and swelling beneath taught skin and lustrous coat.

"There, I think that's a bit better" he laughed and stopped next to the blue-eyed dove with glittering beads of water dripping from the pale tresses. "I have to say, you look well yourself" he added, unabashedly running an admiring glance over her frame, from the neatly folded wings to the healthy sheen of the coat. "Dragon's Throat must be a good place to live. I haven't been there much my self - only once, and it wasn't a very long visit. Ordered a piece of craftsmanship from one of your forgers... but with all that has happened since then I suppose the request has been forgotten."

The finely chiseled head lowered and rubbed against a sooted foreleg, relaxed enthusiasm oozing from every movement made by the equine. He found himself enjoying the company and his own bright mood - something so rare that he almost felt ecstatic from the sheer rush of dopamine.

Again- again- again-
- bg - table - image -
The Store | The Warden

Hidden Account

onni. </style>

Something strange but not in a bad way. This Lace is a brother of the Edge, and even if he had not been such a kind heart so far, Onni would have greeted him with a bright smile to rival the sun above. One thing is certain, for the blood of the World's Edge had been spilled in tandum with her own kin more than once, gratitude should be held by both parties for both parties. No matter the day, no matter the mood, the shaman was expected to hold a smile for the dear friends of the northern forests and salty cliffs. Kri would make sure of that.
And what would Onni be, if not the first to follow her mother's orders?

Still, despite the strange sense of duty that comes with meeting a kin of the World's Edge, the healer finds joy as well. So many kind faces arose from the starlit mists. The painted beauty Kahlua raises in her mind, and the golden warrior Kaj as well. Warm souls. The desert may bathe in sunlight constantly, but it must also shine on the friends in the Edge.

The joke is met with a laugh, a golden bell amidst the sun and gentle whisper of the river over well worn stones. "A beauty tip I myself have never tried," she says out loud, carrying on with the banter even as a drop of mud flutters toward her, flinging free from the once silver tail of Onni's company. Off he leaps straight into the river, the waters rushing over his form, peeling the mud and dirt from his coat, but leaving not-so-subtle traces behind. Emerging from the body of the water is the grullo figure that the shaman remembered.

A gentle expression remains in place, her sky blue eyes perhaps a tad bit distracted. The months of summer had come, her beloved season. All of the heat and sweat that came with the long days was welcomed, for the burning of her skin compared little to the ache of her heart in the darkness. While Lace may be trying to escape the rays of the sunlight, Onni reflected them from every inch of her body. The light of day hid the pale tint of gold which radiated from the pores of her skin well, but that healthy glow was likely courtesy of the Sun God's gift.

"I spent many months longing for the return of summer," her voice offers in return for his compliment, completely ignoring his wandering eyes. "His return lifts my heart and health." Unabashed admiration of sunlight, the glory of it all wrapped into the peaceful smile peeking from her soft muzzle. Even one who did not care for the God of the Sun praised his return after the months of endless night that had battered the realm of Helovia. The immediate return of Onni's joy was no coincidence.

The small talk is strange, and the shaman finds herself wondering if she should be apologetic. "I cannot say that I have spent much time in the World's Edge, either," she says shyly, glancing out at the meadows. "We have a difficult time holding crafters..." A laugh, small but bright, comes immediately after. The position was almost cursed. "I am not sure if it is the Sun God who reclaims his power or my mother frightening them off."

Definitely Kri, chirps Lyhty from her shoulder. Onni smiles, resisting the urge to laugh again.

She was a peculiar little girl. Lace realized that he was being rather intimate with his scrutiny of her body, but where many mares would have shrunk back in embarrassment or immediately retaliated with some flirtatious remark, Onni simply ignored it completely and kept on talking like he hadn't just caressed her entire self with admiring eyes. Was she so innocent and secure in herself that she didn't recognize the half-flirting he was doing, or was she just very good at hiding her discomfort? Either way it sparked the curiosity of the stallion, who kept mulling over the question even as he upheld the lighthearted conversation.

"I have to admit, I was quite relieved the first few weeks of darkness" he admitted, feet shuffling through the tall grasses as he made himself comfortable. "Too many things have awoken in my blood since I came to Helovia, and I don't like it. I was glad to be free of it all, glad to just be my old self again... Even if it meant that I wouldn't get to see the sun." The smile turned slightly apologetic. Her love of the bright light was rather apparent, and he still felt rather guilty of his exuberant delight that followed with the initial disappearance of the gods.

Yet another prick of guilt, sharper this time, stabbed his chest as the little mare mentioned the rapid change of crafters in her homeland. The bright expression slowly started to fade from the face of the steed, and as Fajira came down to land on his whithers with a warbling greeting at both pegasi and finch the grullo sighed.

"The life of a crafter is not for everyone" he told her quietly, the weight of personal experience in his voice clearly noticeable. "It follows with power, responsibility, and not often isolation from the rest of the herd. The warriors don't think much of a craftsman, seeing them as weak and unfit. The scholars and healers smile and wave them off, believing their knowledge to be of little or no use. They weave trinkets and weapons in equal measure, but when it comes down to it their function for the herd as a whole is... well. Let's just say that they could be put to better use."

A shrug of the scarred shoulders caused a warbling protest from the dragon, and with a snort of dislike over how quickly he managed to spoil the mood she took off again, inviting the little bird to fly with her by circling around the painted wing-horse and then shoot up into the sky. Lace had to give her right; he was a downer, rarely able to stay positive for very long. Amber eyes glittering in the light of the day turned towards the clear blue orbs of his comrade, smile disappeared since a while ago and replaced with a thoughtful look.

"Say, could I ask you for advice?" he suddenly asked. "Say that you have a friend that you care for very much. You have promised to stay with them and would do almost anything for them. But then you find out that the friend has done something bad, something that hurt a lot of people. Would... " He broke off, swallowing hard as the implication of his own words were beginning to settle within his own mind. "Would you still.. follow that friend? Even though you know it might not be the last time it happens?"

Again- again- again-
- bg - table - image -
The Store | The Warden

Hidden Account

onni. </style>

The mood appeared to have shifted south, but Onni does not make any visible alterations to her appearance. The white-washed face is still serene, bright with golden light. The tone of the older voice is serious, causing the shaman to turn her attention back in his direction. The glint of his golden eyes clouds with a strange sense of tension, mirrored by the heavy sentiments of his words. This is something that the painted girl had no experience with. In Isilme, the powers of wind had been born into her. The power of her mother's calling, intermingled with the shape-shifting of her father now gone. In Helovia, the only gains that the mare had gotten were positives.
Sunlight in her blood, glimmering out from behind her soft eyes. The small songbird staring uneasily at the dragon as it circles above, uncertain if it is a predator or friend.

There is always shadow lingering behind the glow of light. Upon the heart once pure as the sun itself, dark stains had fallen. Ultimately, the tests which the Illuminant faced here in this land were not from the blood but from the world. Silently, she wondered what troubles Lace faced in these days. "Knowing yourself is strength," the mare offers. "The disappearance of the Gods did not rob you of anything, only borrowed them temporarily. Now, in the summer sun, can you truly say that you have conquered these new facets of yourself, or have you just been delighted by their absence?"

Looking at him with a sidelong glance, Onni attempts to gauge how this question sits. She did not expect it to go well. "When the night comes to an end, your blood has not changed. You still have to stand with it."

She had been so terribly desperate to see the sunlight. A piece of her soul had gone missing during the Endless Night, and even her magic born into her blood had fallen silent or broken at her hooves. With the sunlight came back the pieces torn asunder, filling the gaps in her heart. Finding peace where chaos reigned. Even if the return of the Sun meant heartache for others, Onni would never regret her prayers for his coming. A selfish streak finally found in the soul of the shaman.

At his explanation of a crafter, Onni sighs knowingly. The burden of responsibility sitting on your shoulders no matter the position is difficult. "The life of a healer can be just as lonely and perhaps a bit more sad," her voice light and airy, a breeze of summer. "My company is often sought after solely for the purpose of healing. Seeing body after broken body, mending and giving for others, but holding few friends," an unexpectedly happy smile finishing the sentence. "I have never once resented my gifts, but I do occasionally feel lonely. Lyhty has been a blessing."

The song of the dragon catches Lyhty's attention, and the songbird trills proudly at being noticed in the conversation. Using his confidence, the small finch leaps into the air on tiny wings, pushing himself upward toward the white figure of the small dragon. A song continues, much like the summer aria he had been whistling before. Onni smiles up at him, squinting to see past the bright sun.

The brows of the mare raise in surprise as Lace asks for her advice, turning attentive ears in his direction. A silent nod is offered, not wanting to break whatever thought process he had going with her own jumble of words. The problem seemed personal, delicate, and the painted girl did not quite know how to respond. There had been many times when Kri had caused Onni to question her authority. Still, without fail, Onni had remained loyal to the mare who praised herself on being honest and open. The Illuminant had never caught her mother in a lie. Even when marching to war, regardless if Onni agreed, her mother had been open with the herd. However, the shaman never really followed her to war, had she?

"You follow when they are right. You stand with them, support them," she says, looking at him with an earnest expression. "When they are wrong, you have a choice: part from their side, or part from yourself.
"In my experience, a betrayal of the self is the mark of a coward."

It appeared that his acquaintance was as wise as she was beautiful. Words fell like glittering droplets of light from the pale lips, drifting across the distance between them only to fall like a soothing rain within his dark, thirsting mindscape. They reminded him of what Mirage had said in what seemed like a lifetime ago, truths that despite their logic didn't sit well with the stallion, who didn't view magic as anything but unnecessary boosts that left you weakened when they failed. What was so wrong with relying simply on your own body, the abilities he'd earned with hard work and over a long period of time?

A shrug sent muscles dancing beneath the silver skin, a slightly wry smile took the edge of his words as he returned her words with the views he himself had;
"I guess I haven't. I tried for a while, but the more I used the magic the more I ended up seeking reasons to use it; it because addicting, I felt myself begin to lean on it, rely on it... I don't like it Onni, it feels... like cheating. I'm probably a hypocrite for saying it, because when I'm in a bind I still end up using it, but I really don't see the need for magic at all. Wounds heal in their own time, plants grow and bloom when their time is right; why should we be able to change any of that? It's unnatural."

He didn't expect her to understand, or agree. For those born with the abilities it must be as easy as breathing, like a fifth leg or a second set of eyes. He didn't deny them the strength or the benefits of the blessings, Lace just wished that the air and water and grass could choose to leave the residue in someone else but him. Or if it were the gods who saw fit to dump unwanted magic over his head, for their own amusement...

Sighing and shaking the neck to try and rid himself of the negativity the thought of magic always caused, the stallion allowed the legs to fold beneath him and sank down onto the ground, unabashed as he rolled over to the back and rubbed the skin against sun-warm, green grass. A scent of lush greens wafted to the nose as ethereal oils were released from the stems, and with a content sigh he came to rest on the side, body littered with torn grass and the head resting in a patch of pale blue flowers. Not thistles, thankfully; that would have been less comfortable.

"It's Mirage..." he said quietly, after listening to the painted angels suggestion. "She... after Torasin and Solstice were killed by unicorns she kidnapped the foals of the northerners and used them as pawns in her schemes, to make the Basin come to her. It was all a huge plot to mark that the Edge is not to take lightly... I think I might have put her up to it. Not the foal part, the thing about setting down the hoof and not tolerate being trifled with... Which is good. It's great, even. But I don't know... I can't accept that she involved innocent children in the conflict."

"She should have tried to speak to them instead, let them realize that there's no difference between horses just because we look different. With time, with patience, maybe the next generation won't be as foolish as this one. As for their parents, a messenger with a statement was more what I had in mind. An ultimatum, that if they tried anything again... But I guess it's too late now. Another generation has been ruined and I might have lost my closest friend to this accursed, endless war."

While he spoke the eyes of the equine followed the dance of the dragon and the songbird through the sky, enjoying the sound of their song despite the gloomy thoughts that haunted him. As the words died out however his eyes closed, and with another little sigh the silver-maned soldier relaxed, waiting quietly for the verdict of the Shaman. Had she known about this? Lace wasn't sure whether the Throat had been involved as well, his lack of knowledge about the desert realm and their politics was quite embarrassing.

@[Onni]

Again- again- again-
- bg - table - image -
The Store | The Warden

Hidden Account

onni. </style>

"Magic is little more than an extension of your spirit," she says. "I see no reason to avoid its use." Sunlight, it lifted her heart so greatly that it could be nothing more than a source of her soul. Not all magic was so uplifting, she knew. Some, much like Lace, would struggle with the gifts of the Gods. However, there is no denying how bound you become to your magic, and your magic to you. Severing the ties with the light had left her hollow. This could not be a sensation unique to her. No matter how Lace would wish to deny his magic, it would be there. "Like the shadows of your heart, you may wish to ignore it, deny it, subdue it. In the end, the shadows remain."

"They are only unnatural if you ostracize them. I believe the Gods could not awaken a power within you that was not meant to be," her eyes serious and calm. "Like my mother, I carry the wind, but my own paths have lead me into light. Oddly, I am most at peace with the power which came later - the more unnatural magic. I choose to believe that it was fate that I found the sun."

Smiling at him easily, Onni mirrors the golden light above. Lace himself is troubled, and the mare cannot understand entirely. "Perhaps, if you accept that it is no longer foreign but integral to yourself, you will be more at ease."

As Lace lowers himself to the ground, Onni remains poised. The healer is reluctant to act so relaxed in the company of a mere acquaintance. There are few in Helovia that the mare would consider close enough to flail about so freely with. Instead, she curls over to preen feathers gently, listening to the soft calls of Lyhty in the air, the shadows which dance along the swaying grasses from above.

When Lace speaks again, Onni glances up, her attention shifting back toward his face. His intense eyes are misplaced in the summer landscape, the dark of his face gloomier with each passing second. The mare had only seen Mirage a few times, but her mother had always been fond of the dark mare. The World's Edge and the Dragon's Throat were bonded for what seemed like eternity because of their kinship. The mare's eyes widen with surprise at the mention of murder; the girl had known of the Basin's hatred for many, but not of deaths. She is once more assured that the likely culprits behind Africa's missing wing were the northern unicorns.

Yet, somehow, the mare could not bring herself to be resentful. All she could see was the charcoal, goofy face of Carnesir. His accented voice, his kind eyes, and the swirling patterns at his hooves. The whole of the Basin could not be condemned for the sins of the few.

Lost. Looking toward Lace as he speaks of loss, the shaman frowns deeply. She had lost much, but never once had she given up on another while they still lived. "Can you not guide her back home, Lace?" she asks, her face thoughtful. "Solving such insults with kindness takes much more strength and courage than giving in to hatred."

The last suggestion served with a sheepish smile:
"Excuse me for being blunt, but she may just need a friend to kick her in the ass for taking the easy way out."

The thought of giving the mysterious riddle-speaking mare something so impish and straight-forward as a kick in the butt made the stallion chuckle, a sound that quickly deepened into a resounding laughter. Imagining the look of indignation on his Queen's face made him writhe where he lay, tail thrashing and spreading like spider silk over the ground, drawing glistening white creeks and rivers through the strands of grass and wild herbs.

"Maybe I should" he gasped, short of breath and eyes glittering from mirth. "By the gods, it would be a sight worthy of seeing... Risking life and health would almost be worth it!" How he had been able to switch mood so quickly was beyond even himself, and unusual enough to make the alabaster dragon take a dive to swoop over him, curious eyes studying him as if to check that he was alright. He blew a snort at her as she passed, grinning widely even as the laughter slowly died away, remaining only as a vibration in the tone of voice, a light in the depths of the eyes.

"You give good advice" he complimented the paint, smiling up at her where she stood - the vulnerable (and undignified) position he was in didn't seem to bother the stallion, even though his company didn't seem about to relinquish her poise anytime soon. It didn't matter right now - she was friendly and helpful, willing to listen to the troubles of a complete stranger. The only thing that tied them together was the brief meeting and a promise made by their leaders; that was all. Wasn't it peculiar how a verbal agreement could bring horses closer, how the word of a stranger could become a foundation for trust and honesty... It was incredible how the world worked at times.

"Is there anything I can help you with? In return for listening to my glum rambles.." he asked, rolling over onto the stomach so he could lift the head and watch her, unabashedly enjoying resting his gaze on her frame. There was something about this girl that made him calm down, that raised his spirits; whether it was the undeniably pretty face or the innocent light in the sky blue eyes was hard to say - and he didn't truly care why. Lace was simply glad that he had come across her today - perhaps he would be able to call her a friend by the time they parted, who knew.

@[Onni]

Again- again- again-
- bg - table - image -
The Store | The Warden

Hidden Account

onni. </style>

The hearty sound of a laugh wracks the chambers of Lace's chest, and Onni responds with her own bright smile. Unfortunately, she does not have access to the movie playing within the grullo's mind, otherwise she may have joined in the laughter. Instead, the shaman smiles for the delight bestowed to her company; healing takes many forms, but chasing the shadows from the mind of another is often a more difficult challenge than tending to physical wounds.

The shaman had only met Mirage briefly in a meeting years ago, before the capture of the World's Edge in the name of the Qian. To think she was a deadly mare would never have crossed her mind, despite Lace's light-hearted comment. Of course, Onni had been present following the devastation of the invasion, the large claw marks from an awful predator present in the loam. She would never have guessed that the Queen of the Edge was in reality a dragon trapped inside the body of a small black mare.

Lyhty soars back from the air, landing upon Onni's shoulder. His frame of mind is attentive, seeking her own with gentle nudges, as if to determine whether or not Lace's laughter is directed toward her. The songbird, ever concerned with the feelings of his bonded, would likely have pecked at the stallion's eyes. Reassured that she is fine, he sets off into the air again, glare trailing slightly on Lace before he focuses back upon the blue sky ahead.

You give good advice. A smile is returned for his own, the shaman looking toward the ground briefly, suddenly a tad nervous to be complimented so blatantly. "I am glad I could be of help," she says earnestly, voice light, almost timid. Unlike the strong voice which delivered so many ideas and thoughts on his situation, Onni carries a much more modest tone in things concerning herself. Prestige, honor, likability, they all seemed like foreign niceties for others. Quickly resuming her previous poise and warm expression, she is surprised once more by Lace's offer, though it would not seem like much of a jump.

Help in exchange for help.

The mare takes to thought, her expression distant, but she realizes that she no longer sought out help. During the Endless Night, she would have loved a friend to shoulder her pain, filling the huge void which had been left by the absent Sun. Now, with the light restored to her world and her own spirit, Onni is far from wanting. Pleasantly she glances toward the grullo, her eyes earnest. "I can only hope that you'll maintain your offer, in the regrettable event shadows fall upon my life. For now, I am blessed."

"Of course" he smiled, "it's a standing offer. Whenever and for whatever reason, if you need me I'll be there."

To some, it might have been difficult to hand out such a lofty promise. It offered no small claim on his time and efforts, unbound as it was by reservations and conditions. But the stallion seemed to not even think twice as he let the words roll off his lips with an easy smile, appearing almost naively trusting where he lay in the grass, caressed by golden sunshine with thistles swaying in the light breeze.

It was too beautiful a day to carry doubts and suspicions though. With birds soaring high in a cloudless sky and the earth exuding a scent of warm soil, sweat grass and cool water even his ever-changing mood couldn't stay dark and gloomy forever. Light was winning over dark today, and as he took in the warm air in a deep, slow breath, Lace could hardly remember what he had been fretting over. It was as though a weight had been lifted off the shoulders, in a much more pleasant manner than the moment he had renounced his position as crafter.

"Tell me about Dragon's Throat" he asked the gleaming girl after a while, gaze seeking out her painted frame with no small amount of curiosity glittering in their depths. "What's it like, living there?"

With a slight grunt he heaved himself up on all fours again and shook the neck so pale silks danced around him, a cloud that soon came to rest once more against silver skin. Not long after the dragon came circling down, bored and attention seeking now that her flying partner had abandoned her. With soft crooning noises she settled on his back and began pacing back and forth along his spine, balancing deftly with wings spread wide for additional aid. The grullo endured patiently, too used to the weight and moving of the dragon on his back to care much about what she was doing... His attention was still turned to Onni, expectant and hopeful even as he lowered the head and began to graze from the lush grasses.

Again- again- again-
- bg - table - image -
The Store | The Warden