the Rift

[PRIVATE] Off the beaten path

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan

Shadow
It is not in the stars to hold our destiny, but in ourselves

There were many places in this land that were unknown to the shadow mare. For someone tasked with keeping track of the comings and goings of the herds and information gathering in general, this seemed like a major flaw. It was one thing to hear her informants talk about a region, but without actually having been there herself it was difficult to truly understand the trials and difficulties they might face.

So, like the true wild child that she was the little mare took it upon herself to change her lack of knowledge. It had become stifling in the Throat lately anyway ever since the unicorns of the Basin had been driven out, and for someone like her who thrived in times of chaos, she found that she had to stir up some trouble herself in order to remain sane.

Perhaps the stinking, muddy, mosquito-infested marshlands hadn't been the smartest of destinations to pick, however. It had been one thing to fly over it, and a completely different experience wading through the greasy muck. Her ears were gone, hidden into the wad of thick coarse mane in a frown of disgust that was threatening to become permanent as she shuffled forward, sweating and panting in her efforts to keep a straight line. Getting lost would be no hard feat; already she had only the sun in the sky to navigate by, and sometimes not even that as vine-covered trees and tangled branches blocked the sky from view. It felt like she was walking under water, the humidity so high that it was all but impossible to breathe - and the dirt was everywhere, as were the insects. Hissing snakes, snapping turtles, hungry looking fish in the deep pools made the raven reluctant to set her hooves down at all, but she had to. There was no room to spread her wings here, she was a trapped bird who had lost track of where the opening to the cage were.

Eventually she had to stop. Chest heaving and with the lavender eyes dimmed and fatigued from exertion Skuggi leaned her shoulder against the trunk of a tree. Immediately the biters came swarming in, leaving her skin twitching and tail flinging as though she stood in a minor hurricane. It was painful, maddening; but not more so than knowing that it was she herself who had gotten her into this mess.

She licked her lips thirstily and peered around, wishing, not for the first time, that there was something to drink. Her spirits brightened as she caught the glimpse of something glittering up ahead, and with renewed energy the shade heaved herself forwards again. Breaking through the tough the heavy, dripping underbrush she emerged in a small clearing where the trees parted just enough to let down the sun. Light played over the surface of a mirror blank, silvery pool that exuded the sweet scent of fresh water. Smiling brightly at the thought of icy (okay, lukewarm, but still) liquid running down the throat she trotted forward to the water and lowered her nose towards the surface...

Too preoccupied by her own thirst, she failed to notice the bloated carcass of a deer on the brink a few yards away, half-hidden by bushes, its head sunk beneath the surface of the small lake.

@[Carnesîr]

image credits
table by whit

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed

Carnesîr Posts: 60
Hidden Account atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 :: 3 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
wanda
He leapt and danced, him as fleeting as a deer, all liquid grace and jeweled eyes, sparkling bravado and exquisite joy drawn onto his normally fearful face. The wind carries him, brushing his back constantly, ruffling his mane the wrong way and tangling his dark forelock about his pearl horn, but he does not care. He flies to see Onni, to confront her and question why she had not told him the whole story, but also to feast his eyes on her and feel the warmth of her skin pressed against his. There is joy and freedom in his grace, a fluidity like pouring water in his limber muscles, as he cuts through the wind likes an arrowhead, an unhesitating arrow heading for home, the very center of the Throat shaman's heart. Unyielding, refusing to turn right or left no matter the terrain, he moves straight, hooves pounding the earth beneath him, mud splattering his cleft feet and spraying up his legs, leaving him coated in boots of mud. As the spring nights shorten and summer begins to rise, he runs faster than ever, the world a thundering blur around him, the heat of the sun glaring down at his pale coat. Paranoia threatens to suffocate him, but what pains him most is the chance of letting Onni down. Now that Lena has enlightened him, taught him of the history, he could better understand the tension between them.

Soon all truths would come out however.

Slowly the verdant pines of the thistle meadow shifts to barren white trees, cloaked in the misery of death. They are pale fingers reaching for the sky, alabaster lovers reaching for the deserting clouds. His cleft hooves clatter on stone as he springs across a lonely creek wending desolate way to the ocean, watching it fade swiftly behind him into the distance. At last he slows, bypassing the veins and heading towards the marsh. A deep curious strikes him, as his imagination is fuelled by imagery of dead bodies and bloated corpses. Last time he had been here, he had met a filly of vermilion and gold, cream and crowned with an antler on her head and wings at her shoulders. He had glimpsed the pools of the spectral swamp only in passing, and he could remember the glimpses of tepid, festering white things in the water. No doubt there was a story to explain the rotted horses in the brackish waters...

Carnesîr wandered in silence, cleft hooves keeping to the path carefully. Fear deserted him, replaced by morbid inquisitiveness. He looked into the cold waters, felt the chill on his skin as he moved quietly, a ghost among ghosts.

From his nearly-360 degree vision the stallion caught glimpse of a mare, a sleek black something that had wings of a raven, dripping profusely with a sweat that soaked the rich ebony coat. His eyes followed her as she fled by him, running from nothing, appearing not to notice him. Reminded peculiarly of himself, trying to out-gallop his nightmares, Carnesîr began to drift after her, careful to stick to the narrow path winding without purpose through the gruesome mementos of some long-forgotten tragedy. He gained on her without sound, well-used to the movements of the run, eyes soft and thoughtful, without fear of the unknown to burn them. Shadows gleamed on her oily black skin, as her head dropped and she began to drink at the dead-infested water. Revulsion curled inside him, thickening in his stomach and throat, and the young stallion padded closer. "Do you realize there dead things in water?" He asked her, voice mild and vaguely preoccupied, brown eyes with a mischievous glint in them.

Carnesîr
Tell me your secrets, unburden your memories, and I'll save them for safe-keeping.

Chan

Shadow

It was a good thing that he called out when he did. Satin lips mere inches away from the mercury surface the voice carried over to the rounded lobes of the shadow and made her freeze where she stood, surprised at finding another so close. Her breath caught at the back of the throat, the little crow blinked and let her eyes glide over the water, lavender gaze peering around, over, into the liquid.

With a half-choked cry of disgust the pegasus threw the head up and recoiled, revulsion and fear apparent on her visage as small, hard hooves backed away from the edge of the pond. "Disgusting!" she exclaimed and stared around wildly, trying to find a place where death was not apparent - how had she not seen this before? Sure, the festering much did give off a foul odor, but she had thought it was just the mud and the leaves and... and not dead things.

Desperate to find something living to rest her eyes on, Skuggi turned around where she stood and faced the owner of the voice. Her first instincts as she noticed what exactly he was were to recoil. Wings heavy with damp feathers spread wide on both sides, flared in foolish bravery to made the small femme seem bigger, stronger, more intimidating. She cursed herself for leaving the broken spear of a horn back in the Throat and eyed the stranger warily, her orbs gleaming worriedly in the peculiar light under the trees.

"Who are you?" the black dove asked suspiciously, voice tense and terse, attention focused but still unable to hide the curious music of awe that filled her chest. She had lived in Helovia for a mere two seasons. It was far too short a time to have gotten over the shock of finding horses with horns and without wings, much too brief a period to invoke any real sense of hatred or loathing towards the horned ones who supposedly were enemies. While Shadow had no patience for racist bastards who thought themselves greater than her, she couldn't help herself; she still found the lithe, elegant creatures endlessly fascinating.

And, as it would seem, this stallion that stood before her were a very handsome representative of his kind. Slender and lithe of built he still stood a full hand taller than herself, a fay beside her earthy bulk. For the first time she found herself hating the slender but oh so visible muscles that swelled beneath the thin summer coat, loathed the scars that marred her shoulders and flanks. A black, ragged troll next to a wisp of an elf, she ogled him suspiciously, longingly... If she only had been beautiful like him.

"Did you follow me?"

image credits
table by whit

Healed

wanda
He couldn't see her face, not the best, but he noted with satisfaction the water did not ripple- so he had saved her from tasting the sickly waters infested with the dead. Carnesîr's ears twitched, a flippant smile appearing lazily on his face, while a strange sensation stuck him in the gut, a feeling... well, a feeling that he had not ever experienced before, not that he could remember anyways. It was the sense he had been here before, with this lovely black mare covered in scars, tributes to the battles she had fought before. The question is heavy on the tip of the tongue, waiting to be tossed recklessly into the air, to fly at the shaggy mare's ears. How did you get so many scars? He is, after all, just a pretty boy, beautiful but weak, all soft muscles despite his dreams of romance and hard strength. Was it possible to allure and entrance when you were a wisp of a man? If he covered his slim body in scars, if he fought battles and bled and broke, would he become beautiful, handsome, strong?

"It is!" He chuckles, tail curling up joyfully, his earthen eyes taking in hungrily her sparkling violet ones, wild, free eyes. Immediately he likes that about her, the will in her eyes. Would it rub off on him, if he hung about the shadow mare for long enough?

More words are thrown at him, blunt questions with all grace of a rusted wood axe cutting down trees. It is not in him to be vain- in fact, he's most direct as well, and prefers the manner of which she speaks than any elusive chitchat. "Carnesîr. Who are you? A minstrel, warrior, queen, exile, ruler, follower? I bet... you're a hero. Now guess about me." He declares her as a savior, and wonders if she'll like that. The heat is slowly seeping from him, his muscles tightening as he cools off. Now that he has stopped running, he finds the chill not at all to his liking. He preferred summer rain and verdant forests gleaming with the rays of the sun. Slowly the boy's eyes drift to her crow wings, drinking in the dark feathers hungrily. What would it be like to fly? Could he ever get wings, if he tried hard? Was she born from an egg, like a bird?

Did you follow me? "What a queer question," Carnesîr murmurs, ears slanting back uncertainly. Should he say yes? No, it would be best if he said no, of that he had no doubt. "I would love to follow around an intriguing mare with scars on her coat and fire in violet eyes. But no, sadly. Just... what is word? Coincidence we meet?"

Carnesîr
Tell me your secrets, unburden your memories, and I'll save them for safe-keeping.

Chan

Shadow

Ugh, he had to point it out too. Her ears dipped backwards briefly in dislike, an even as the wings began to slowly retreat to their folds along her sides the black raven turned and moved, inching her way towards more solid ground that weren't so full of... dead things. She was not a picky individual. Dirt and dust and water was nothing to the forest spirit, she was used to the pelting rain and the freezing blizzards, well traversed in the secrets of crossing bogs and navigating narrow ravines on steady wings. She had seen and shed more blood in her short lifetime than she liked to think about, all in order to secure food and water for another day, to save her life and her honor from those that would try to claim either, or both.

But death frightened her. It was much too personal, too close to the memory of what she had lost to make her comfortable. Skuggi didn't know how the boy could stand there so calm and at ease when the rotting flesh and pale bones of countless lives could be hidden just beneath their feet. If only she had been able to fly away. This was decidedly not a hospitable place to live, and she more than understood now how this would be a suitable hiding place for maddened outcasts.

His voice rang out into the suffocating, damp heat of the day, answering her questions one at a time. Introducing himself, even. What a gentleman. The mare tried to pronounce his name in her mind, attempts to form the tongue around the flowing syllables a precarious process that she quickly gave up on. "Carn, then" she aptly re-named him and relaxed a little - no one in their right minds would introduce themselves before attempting an attack. "I'm certainly not a hero, you know. There's nothing glorious about my scars at all, they're only reminders of poor skills and bad luck. If I had been any good at what I did, I wouldn't have had them."

The shade snorted and shook the head, sending the thick mane flying amidst a swarm of pestering insects that had swooped in now that she was no longer in motion. "I'm just a shadow, in name and form." Which was a truth however he might twist and turn it. It was her name, her profession, the skills she used to gather the information she could for the leader of those who had taken her in, given her home when none other had. In that she guessed that she also was a follower, a warrior who had defended their land against attacks...

"I guess I can be just about whatever you want" she murmured, not aware that she had spoken out loud until the words fell from the tongue. Flicking the tail in annoyance over herself, she returned her attention to the buy and cocked the head to the side in a birdlike manner, wariness slowly giving in to a form of wry humor as he seemed eager to play guessing games. He must be younger; it was always hard to tell with the wingless, their movements were always so much faster on the ground without the bulky wings to hinder them, but his enthusiasm made the raven feel old and boring - gods, were he going to drag out all the things she disliked in herself?

"You... look like an entertainer. A dancer, perhaps, or a storyteller. How about you keep me company while I search my way out of this godforsaken swamp? Tell me a story, to shorten the road. Unless you're busy, of course."

Either way was fine with her, as long as they didn't remain standing much longer. It felt like she was slowly being eaten alive, and with thirst burning in the throat and the sun passing along the sky she was eager to leave this place.

image credits
table by whit

Healed

wanda
Carnesîr watches her edge away from him and the tepid brown waters. Despite her hard voice and even more so hardened body, she is graceful and deft in her movements, tense as they are. Why so tense? Ah... the dead must be the cause of it. Occasionally he had come across individuals who feared the oblivion, but not Carnesîr. They were frightening of course, bits of floating bodies and bloated limbs grotesque in the clammy water, but they were dead. The dead could not hurt the living except in painful memories.

Carn, then. He does not like the shortening of the name. It cuts it in half, the meaning. Prince of- and then nothing. Yet apart from the slightest of tightening about his eyes, he reveals not his opinion on her nicknaming. And besides, perhaps she unintentionally had a point. What was he the prince of, but nothing? Onwards the mare goes, speaking of her ineptitude and inexperience, as depressing and oppressive as possible. "Don't be like so. Only coward wears no scars upon his pelt; injuries are unavoidable, especially to a warrior maiden. Besides, every hurt is lesson- I doubt you will make the mistake easily again." He offers her a smile, one almost vacant and empty of emotion, but his eyes tell his feelings of wist.

"Shadow... Úlairi." 'Carn' shivers, glancing about himself uneasily, muscles rigid and unyielding. Something deadens in his gaze as he returns his earth eyes to her sparkling violet ones. There is unease and fear and a silent something bordering on admiration in the eyes of his. "You are brave, Úlairi, taking on the name of what strikes terror into the hearts of many. Are you not afraid of the dark, and what hides in it?"

More words pass between them, but his mind drifts away again, leaving him absent-headed as Shadow speaks of what he might be. What brings him back to the crow girl is her askance of a story- certainly this is a good question for the scholar and keeper of legends. A smile blooms upon his face, splitting his mouth into a curling crescent of joy, and with the softest of chiming laughs he begins to move forth, leading the way out of the swamp. Cold water bubbles up between his cleft feet, and mud plasters his thin feathers, but he sticks to the path, wary of the cold waters. "I will tell you story, but you must give me one in return."

For several minutes Carnesîr gathers his thoughts silently as they walk, metaphorical fingers playing over the familiar legends he has recorded. There are many stories in his head; ballads of hope, epics of war, songs of heroes, and then the smaller novels, lives of which are now gone and kept only in his head.

"There was once a time when we were pure of heart and soul, where greed and jealousy did not taint us. We were simple and humble servants of those who shaped us, but we were at peace.

"As with anyone and anything, peace will not survive forever, and Death walked forward with his grim blade in hand. His brothers and sisters, gods themselves, rushed forward to stop them. 'Do not kill them' they told Death with wide eyes and stern mouths. 'They are at peace.'

"But Death was wise and older than them. He shook his head firmly. 'Look at them,' he answered in turn. 'They are blind fools, sheep to be herded by us. Give them their imagination, give them true life.' But the gods were unrelenting, refusing to give their precious little toys a taste of true life.

"So then Death said: 'At least let me cut the life from some of them. Too many and the world will be turned to ash, over-grazed and then they will all die slowly.' But the gods refused still.

"There was silence for a long time as the Reaper vanished, but one day spilled forth two creatures of his to walk the world; the wolf, wise and cold, and the raven, cunning and bitter. They walked together as a pair, the wolf white as the moon, the raven dark as the night sky. The gods watched on in fear, but they could not meddle in the affairs of mortals, a law long unwritten.

"It was the Raven who came first to the horses. 'Horses,' he croaked. 'I will teach you how to think.' And he kindled imagination within us, and sparked personality.

"But it was the wolf who taught us how to run. 'Horses,' he growled. 'I will teach you how to live!' And he sprung forth and brought down four mares, five stallions, and eight foals before we realized what we must do; run. Then he went to the big cats, the cougars and the lions, and the bears, grizzly and polar, and went to all the predators and taught them how to hunt and feast on our flesh.

"And between the two animals of his creation, the Reaper walked, scythe twirling as he cut down the old without worry, tore souls from the weakest of bodies. They gathered behind him, an army of the dead,and watched as the world was restored to balance. And this is why the Raven and the Wolf walk together; and this is also why we must learn that sometimes the things that seem worst to us are better than we think."

Carnesîr

Chan

Shadow

Violet eyes followed the slender shape of the unicorn as he began to walk ahead of her, smiling and light-footed as he danced through the marsh. For a moment she hesitated, wariness wanting to keep her from following behind the gray ghost for fear that he might lead her astray - she'd heard far too many stories about horses getting lost only to be led to their demise by beautiful strangers.

Curiosity made her step forward, however. Like a shadow the little mare tripped after the young stallion, ears alert and ticking in pace with his words as a story unfolded, given life from the soothing voice and her own vivid imagination. It wasn't exactly a happy story, but it suited the mood of the region they walked through. Nothing to go with stories of death but the dead themselves... Skuggi shuddered, suppressing the desire to try and lift; she wouldn't get far, not with the canopy hanging so low above the head. Instead, as something rustled a bush on her right and startled her, she hurried forward and slipped in closer to her guide, shoulder close enough to press against his flank. The picture of a foal following a parent came uninvited before her inner vision, but the raven pushed it aside just as quickly.

"What a... nice.. story that was" she murmured as he grew silent, lavender orbs eying the other sceptically - though how she managed to remain suspicious of him even as she clung to his side for comfort was more than even the little pegasus knew. Maybe because it was easier than to acknowledge how his presence affected her, how nice it was to wander with his scent drifting to her nostrils... Silly girl. And a complete stranger too, she couldn't have much shame left in her.

"Speaking of ravens... I know a story about one. Once, a long long time ago when the world was still young, all ravens were white. Around that time, there lived an old eagle atop a tall mountain, so high that it tickled the belly of the clouds as they passed. This eagle fell in love with the sun, and craved it for his own; so one night when the sun had gone to sleep on the ocean floor, he swooped down into the sea and stole it away. The world became dark and cold, and all the animals cried because they missed the glowing orb. One by one they tried to find it, but none succeeded.

But the raven knew about the eagle and his love for the sun, and so she flew up to his nest and, sure enough, there among feathers and bones was the sun. And so she snatched it away and flew high and far into the sky carrying the sun in its beak, and when she was high enough she let it go so it could scurry back up into the heavens. And all the animals rejoiced, but the raven was sad; for her white coat was no longer white, it had become charred and sooty from being so close to the sun's fire. So from that day onwards all ravens are black, and they keep searching for glittering objects to carry away."

To be honest, the story had never made much sense to her. It was one that her mother had used to tell when Shadow was a foal, back when her family still had been whole. She had simply loved it because of how her father had smiled and called her 'litla hrafninn", how her mother had laughed softly and told her to beware of shiny things... A small, sad smile crept up on the maw of the short mare as she thought back on those times, realizing that the pain of her loss still was as sharp as ever.

"I was afraid of the dark as a foal" she admitted, belatedly coming back to the question he had asked earlier; not blaming him for the unease that had flicked through the brown gaze. "The Endless night didn't exactly make it better either. But I think I've learned how to control it, how to use it; my father used to say that only fools never fear, that it helps us know our weaknesses. For me, darkness is the best place. There's never a better place to hide, you never hear as many secrets as when people think themselves unseen."

The smile grew harder, colder. Yes, she was the perfect horse to serve as the Shadow of Dragon's Throat. The nights in the desert were black indeed, and nothing could cast as dark a shadow as the brilliance of the sun.

@[Carnesîr]

image credits
table by whit

Healed

wanda
The shadows flickered over them, cast by the pale dead trees, all barren white branches and dried up leaves. Life had come to Helovia, but not to here, not to this grim, desolate place where only the corpses slept and living moved in fear.

Carnesîr glanced back at her after the telling of his story, eyes softening upon seeing the skepticism in her eyes. She didn't believe in legends then. To him, it was always a dismal day when they did not have even the slightest bit of belief in the stories, for every long-lost myth had a grain of truth to it. Soon enough, he is distracted from his thoughts by her, to her sun-rich scent and the faint bitter tinge of pine. It had been many days since he had seen a girl with wings, and this was a very beautiful girl, all hard muscle and lean chest. What was it like to have wings? He wanted to ask her that. Pegasi were frail pretty birds, all fragile bones and massive wings... so delicate, so easily ousted by unicorns like Deimos with his death and with his cold stormy eyes. "It's not a nice story," he said softly, a sad smile curling his lips. "But not many stories are."

She had lavender eyes; he loved the sparkling violet of her eyes, so at odds with her night coat. For a moment Carnesîr's step quavered, halting, and with his long tail he reached out to flick at her check with it's plume, his melancholy smile warming to a grin. "You are beautiful, has anyone told you that? You are all wild grace and raw strength; I wish I was like that." Confident for once in himself, he dances away, a laugh clawing at his throat, desperate to get out into the crisp air.

With patience he listened to her story. It was one he had heard before, many months ago, from a horse not too unlike Úlairi, a stallion with fire on his tongue and snow in his head. "I've heard that before; but in my version, it was not the eagle who stole the sun, but a golden pegasus, with a mane and tail spun of flame. Thank you for sharing with me, Shadow." Carnesîr lifted his head, eyes focused ahead of him, horn gleaming in the dull light, the heat from his nostrils steaming in the cold air as he continued with his knowledge, "I've even heard that the sun and the pegasus had a child, a beautiful son who became the brightest star in our sky. If I was remember correctly, his name became Ranor, since he was running north always."

There were lusts left unsated, a hunger that grew in his stomach, bitter and starved, a boy's lust. How old was she? Had she born a child before? Surely there is hunger in his eyes by now, some sort of starvation that gleams and glows.

"Have you ever wanted a foal before?" Carnesîr asks, but he is careful to keep his lust out of his question. There is just curiosity in his blatant nosiness. "I mean... I'm young, but sometimes I wonder what it would be like, having a little bit of me in someone else."

And if I bed you, I'll be a true man then.

Carnesîr

Chan

Shadow

He had a point there. Shadow tried to remember a story that didn't have a bitter or sad tang to it, but none came to mind. There always seemed to be some unpleasant part to the tales told by the elders, if only so that the happy ending would seem all the happier.

She mulled over the thought as she padded behind him, barely seeing the gloomy landscape that passed around them. When a wisp of silken hair flicked across her cheek she flinched and threw the head up, startled at the sudden touch; the ears flung back in anger at the carelessness of the unicorn, she was about to tell him to keep his tail to himself when his words made her break into a sudden halt, too shocked for words.

Shadow wasn't used to being flirted with. Her only contact with stallions aside from her father and the newfound friends in the herd had been as she fought to save herself from the slavery it would mean to be stolen into a harem; to become a broodmare, used and discarded at their whims. And after seeing how her father wasted away after the loss of her mother, love had become a thing to fear. Her heart was well guarded, to the point where even friendship was a rare thing for the raven. She saw herself as someone cold, hard, strong and able - but beautiful?

Not in a million years.

After the initial shock settled, the mare found herself with an incredulous, disbelieving smirk on the face. A part of her wanted to laugh at the stallion, mock him for his bad eyesight and poor judgment - while another part felt more like crying in humiliation. She was beautiful? It wasn't something she wanted to hear from a unicorn who walked with a grace that made her chest ache, who's slender figure held an elegance and poise she could only dream of.
"You don't know what you're saying" she cawed hoarsely, having to force her voice out from a throat that had contracted in a strange way. The cheeks burned, heart pounding beneath the ribs so hard that she thought he must hear it.

Her head was a mess as she kept speaking, words falling like stones from her lips - he thanked her for the story even though it was old to him, and the mare wanted to snort at him again for being overly polite.

What was it about this boy that made her eject all thorns like this? Shadow felt like a hypocritical porcupine where she walked, close on his cloven heels with the skin crawling from his presence; was it pleasant, loathsome, did she want him to leave or come closer? She couldn't decide, her emotions was a mess.

His voice was a murmur in her ears, tongue uttering nonsense she neither could nor wished to reply to. The accent was foreign to her, melodic and soothing - yet even so his next question managed to startle her again, pulling her mercilessly from an absent-minded study of the lean figure that slithered along some invisible path before her, the rocking movement of slender hips waking something within her that she thought she had quelled a long time ago...

"What? Foal? Never" she spluttered, glad he was unable to see the furious blush that broke out over her face. "I mean, I guess it would be nice sometime, but... not now. I have too many things to do, to see and experience before I go and become... old and wise." Because that was a requirement for a parent, right? She remembered the soft smile of her mother, so full of wisdom, her fathers solid strength and experience...

"Besides, it's quite impossible to just 'have' a foal out of the blue" she pointed out, hurrying her steps so she could walk next to him, shoulders sometimes swinging close enough to press against his on the narrow trail. "You'd need... a stallion," she said, and this time there was no mistaking her embarrassment - the voice was unable to hide the uncertain tremor, eyes shying away from his brown gaze, "and I've never... been with.. one.."

Her voice died away, the mare stopped abruptly and turned the head away from Carnesîr. What was up with her, letting a stranger know something so... private, so... so... sensitive about her?

image credits
table by whit

Healed

wanda
Shadow was smirking at him, those charcoal lips curled into a half-smile, a gleam of white teeth glowing among the black, and Carnesîr wondered if he had just flirted especially ineptly or had done something else unintentionally embarrassing. It did not occur to him that it might not be that he was the root of the problem, but rather her own history.

You don’t know what you’re saying. But he did, didn’t he? Perhaps beautiful was an old, over-used word. An inappropriate one to flirt with. Maybe the meaning of his words had been lost in the translation… that would make sense. He was not, after all, the most skilled in her language; he was clumsy and awkward, just like they would be trying to fit in the realms of his forest country. Nobody here could fit in, save perhaps Lothiriel and her mother. Deimos would die, he should think; probably slaughtered on the tip of a unicorn horn, no matter how many unicorns it would take. The citizens of his nameless home would not abide to a reaper bringing death to their beautiful white trees.

Death was almost forbidden among his family. His great-grand-mother, the immortal Lindira, had lived for three thousand years before bearing his grandfather on his mother’s side. She was one of the Council- she had been one of the ones who had urged his parents to oust him for the forest… Carnesîr could recall her quickly to mind, a wizened old nag with hair so fine it seemed almost non-existent. But her horn had been her pride; a five-foot spiral of white bone, sharp as any sword. That horn had bowed her neck and dragged at her skull, but she was still proud of it despite all the pain it caused her as it cut into her forehead.

He smiled prettily at her, a young boy, and laughs, hoping to shake off any tension between them. “I hope I do. Don’t confuse me Shadow, I’ve only just learned language yours.”

Strange, wasn’t it? It was a pair of pegasi he liked, one black as night and one golden as the sun. This one drank in the light, all dark beauty; Onni glowed, emitting a brightness difficult to match, all shining smiles and glorious grins. She was tall, and Úlairi was short and slim. Is it wrong of me to compare? Was it wrong of him to want more than a single mare, to hunger after hips and faces and beautiful eyes? Maybe it was. Carnesîr was young- I will have plenty of time to settle down with a mare when I’m older. But for now… surely a few affairs would do no harm. A few bastards running around he wouldn’t altogether mind.

So taken by her, he does not pay attention to his feet. Carnesîr stumbles, hooves splashing into the tepid brown waters, and he shudders at the feel of the pale slime sucking at his fetlocks, even as he leaps away, sludge dripping from his cleft hooves.

Her shoulder brushes his as she hurries forward to stay beside him. Is it him, or do they burn as they touch, electricity bursting into being? Is this what young love is? Or maybe it is just young lust. In his more private regions he goes stiff. As she speaks he listens, with his regular patience. He has always been good at listening, if not else, and even he, oblivious to subtle signs, notices the shyness in her eyes and how her head turns away from his.

Carnesîr smiles, mouth reaching out to nip at her ears affectionately.

“You would need a stallion. No doubt he will be huge and strong as an ox, with every line of his body lined with thick brawn and heavy muscle. He will be clever as well, but not able to outsmart you. You’ll defeat him in battle, and that’s how you’ll fall for each other… when you’re old and wise.” A devious grin quirks at the corners of his mouth.

“I’ve never laid with a girl before…” He admits, brown eyes flitting to his hooves. “I guess we’re both virgins then.”

For a moment Carnesîr pauses awkwardly, wondering ifs and whats and mostly a question.

“We could… you know… do it. If you want. Sorry. Um. But I don’t think you have to be old and wise. I think… you know. I could come with you. Help raise a kid if the foal comes. Um… yeah. Yeah. Whatever.”

Carnesîr

--- gosh he's super duper awkward. eeeeeeeep! <3

Chan

Shadow

She couldn't laugh at him. A part of her wanted to, wished for nothing more than to throw the head back and chase him away with a cold, uncaring laughter, cruel and harsh in its utter rejection. Did he even know what he was saying, this boy not even dry behind the ears, still reeking of milk and longing for his mothers side? Shadow wanted to shove him back into the slippery, slimy waters he so quickly had escaped from, fighting an urge, a need to stain his brash innocence, dye it in shades as dark as her own bitter soul. They were both young, but she felt ancient and weary next to the dazzling optimism of his youth. It pulled at her, tugged with its alluring simplicity; his mouth at her ears tickled and she shied from the touch, but not before an electrical spark managed to sizzle down through her body, turning each nerve on edge.

"Is that how you see me" she mumbled and dared a quick glance at his face, handsome and attractive in all its ethereal grace; the raven had to look away again quickly, breath caught in the throat in shock, in apprehension, embarrassment, temptation as a brazen suggestion slipped across those warm, soft lips...

Violet eyes closed tightly. The voice of the winged bird trembled precariously as she spoke, words contradicting the truth her body whispered to her, betrayed by her inability to move away from him.
"You can't mean that. Why, for a complete stranger? You don't know me, know nothing of who I am, where I've been.. what I've done. I.. you.. you just... "

But her voice died away, muddled thoughts straying until she couldn't remember what exactly she had been about to say. Had it been that important? Something about responsibility, about how it would be completely foolish and stupid and how could he stand there and expect her to be so shameless as to say yes right out of the blue... Somehow the thought of turning him down had disappeared though, and in the torrent of emotion that rattled through her the black raven turned to look at the gray fae beside her...

A mistake. She shouldn't have. Because the moment she met his awkward, clumsy, yet nobly honest gaze and saw what burned in the earthen depths all resistance melted away. Not even Shadow could deny what her loins had been screaming at her for a long while now, nor did she manage to find a reason why it would be wrong to take this graceful creature up on his offer.

But did he know what he was getting into, by making the black mare aware of her own desires? Was he prepared for the strength of the fire that began to burn within the gleaming orbs, wild and fierce and proud despite, or perhaps because of the weakness she showed as she with a slight step lowered the head and turned towards him, quietly accepting the thoughtless, bold suggestion. Silken nostrils flared in a sharp sigh as the shadow gave in, accepting the situation for what it was, her movements growing sluggish as a dark nose hesitantly reached out to touch a gray shoulder, muzzle quivering as she leaned in close to caress the slender, frail looking neck...

In her eyes there was nothing weak about him, nothing to frown upon or smirk at in contempt. He was of a different kind from her, a breed more slender and lithe. Next to his fawn-like appearance she felt heavy, rough, ragged and dirty, and the thought that someone like him could desire one like her was incredible, impossible. Shy as a schoolgirl, trembling and insecure she hesitated; had he really meant it, or was he about to laugh at her now; the clumsy pegasus girl who couldn't separate a joke from the harsh reality of the world?

image credits
table by whit

Oh my, awkward-fest :3 she's so not honest with herself <3

Healed

wanda
He gazed at her, watching her close her violet eyes. What was he beside her but a small boy? She was an adult; she was black glory and warm smiles. And he, he was weak and useless, just a pretty boy green as summer grass to life. They were as unlikely as the sun and moon, a mare strong as a wolf and a stallion as weak as a doe.

Together, perhaps, they could meet among the stars.

What if we fall? They could fall, at any moment from their precarious perch, to crumble into dust and float among the stars as particles of the constellations. Neither of them could fix themselves- maybe someone else could, but not them. They would be bruised and battered souls, but souls that had known a moment of wholeness. But they wouldn't fall. Shadow's wings would catch them, for a moment, and Carnesîr could tell her all the stories he knew before the ground rushed up to meet them.

They are gods of electricity, lightning crackling in the air, tension fizzing on soft flesh.

"I do," he promises. How easy it comes to him, this solemn little oath. "And let me swear; I never lie."

He is burning now, smouldering in the heat of her glowing violet eyes. They were selling their souls now, throwing caution to the wind. No doubt Carnesîr's mother's breath would catch in shock at his recklessness, but his father would be proud and bemused, even if he never said it outloud. At home, you had battles to conquer, wars to lead, and betrothals to be made before you could lay your head to rest beside a mare's. No. This was his home now, at least for the night, lined up against her black flanks and pressed up against her woollen ebon bodice. Neither would he leave the child born out of a night's respite to be raised alone. He would make the planets bend and the trees grow if it met the happiness of his family. If the time came to it, he might even die for the little beast born out of a cast-off prince and shadow.

How will it feel? Suddenly he was scared. The elf-boy almost wanted to pull away, but it was too late for that. I never lie. It was fear growing in his stomach, terrible and strong, but the lust, the hunger, the starving want overpowered that.

He trembled like a leaf before a gale as she ran her muzzle soft and gentle down his neck, quivered like a fawn standing for the first time.

It was his first time.

And then he giggles shyly, giving in to his desire and passion, and brings himself close to her, lips nibbling at her mane and tail caressing her legs, her scent overpowering all else in their moments together.

Carnesîr