the Rift

[OPEN] !! A Beautiful Lie

Rasta Posts: 305
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1hh :: six (ages in Tallsun) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Ettore :: Red-Tailed Hawk :: None Abba
What this excruciating pain? I had never had to feel the wraith of fire, nor the wraith of acid. Yet, here I stand with burns trailing up my legs and branching in spindling patterns against my barrel and chest. Each movement sends more of a burning sensation through my cranium so violent that I must stop my movements. No. I must move forward. I must continue to move toward the South. I must head home. I can find a healer then. I can get these burns taken care of.

Someone else was granted the egg - the responsibility of a child to care for. I cannot say that I am jealous, for I am not. I only wanted what was best for the child, for it to have someone to protect it until it could learn to do so on it's own. After all, with a hole in my heart from the loss of my red-tailed hawk I did not know if gaining another small creature could ever replace the hole, patch it up so that I felt brand new. I could never feel brand new. That possibility was long gone. But that one thought - the one figment of my imagination - was tugging at me and saying that I might have had a chance to find something new. No! I shook my head violently as tears stained my face, blind eyes squeezed shut as a small sob got locked up in my throat and choked me. Nothing could replace him. Nothing could replace the bickering matches we had partaken in. Nothing could replace my sight that he had given me. And most importantly, nothing could change my one moment of not heeding his call and not leaving when I was told to. The moment when I'd allowed myself to be caught, and caused even more pain to Taj and to my child.

Again, I violently shook my head before forcing my limbs forward. Each vibration from the steps caused me to shudder in pain. I couldn't even discern my own place in this land. Everything was foggy, broken, and holes were missing from my sight as my brain fought with the constant, thudding pain of the seared pelt. It felt as though most of the trees had been burned down, and the scent of burnt wood was there to confirm my beliefs. A few more steps. Perhaps if I holed up near some trees I could rest for a bit. Maybe, if I just rested then the pain would stop. But each stepped caused more and more agony. And with more agony came more broken sobs.

How many more steps could I take? I didn't even know. Stumbling, tripping, nearly collapsing, I managed to go a few more feet before I felt my shoulder scrape against the bark of a thick tree, a couple of leaves floating down onto my back. A tiny yelp escaped as it rubbed against my second-degree burns that trailed across my shoulder. I was trembling, and with the feeling of the leaves sliding against my burns I was crying even more. I tried to stretch my frame back out and to edge forward more, but my legs gave out. Each of the pillars folding from the pain and exhaustion of fighting to understand all that was around me. And, so as my frame got lower and lower to the ground I gave in and slid down against the tree, using my back (which had no burns on it, thank god) to help steady it until I was laying completely on the ground. I pulled my legs up under my barrel, wincing as each of the rocks, pieces of dirt, and branches scratched against the scorched pelt and sensitive flesh before pulling my head up against my chest and crying more.

I needed to rest. I needed to get better so I could go home. Perhaps leaving without anyone with me was not a good idea after all...

668 words
Healing thread for Rasta. I'd prefer it's only Cirrus, but there are a couple of others that I'm willing to allow to join if you'd like. Just message to ask before joining.
@[Cirrus]

Cirrus Posts: 233
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1 :: 8 HP: 69 | Buff: SWIFT
Whit

We were flying.

That is to say, my beloved was flying, while I was clutching to her mane with my jaws. I wasn't flying's biggest fan, I had no wings of my own, and most of the time, Iw as happy to experience it through my bonded's eyes, while I ran in her shadow upon the ground. However, with her being so determined to fly long distances, there was no way I was going to be left behind.

Her broad wingspan took us swiftly south from the Threshold, and it was with some curiosity that I felt her magic stirring stronger and stronger within her. Only a few hours ago, she was pondering leaving the lands of Helovia, to find out whether the Sun rose beyond the horizon elsewhere, and yet now, now I could feel it returning. I grumbled quietly, my mouth full of her hair, my bark twisted into a strangled groan. To the east! I managed to exclaim through our private path of communication, my voice thick with excitement and hope. Her flight changed, her wings tilting towards the eastern horizon. My jaws relaxed their grip upon her mane as she then hovered, barely flapping - her magic was supporting her, her ability to craft the wind around her filling her wings with all the lift they needed. From out vantage point high in the skies, we both watched, and celebrated, the return of the Sun. I felt another magic reawaken within her too - that of healing. It thrummed just beneath her skin, humming, waiting, itching to shed its fiery light and heal those whose bodies were broken.

Time to go home, I wasn't sure who said it, but we were both in happy agreement, as with the wind filling her sails, my little cloud flew with the Sun in the sky and upon her pelt, the weather that perfect comfort of not too hot and not too cold - at least, in the vicinity around us. I was unable to focus much more on our surroundings after that, for the young girl that was my beloved then decided she would fly a bit more adventurously - meaning, of course, I had to hold on a bit tighter.

The Deep Forest was not a place we frequented, though I remember it as the first place I ever saw my beloved. She told a tale to a strange talking skull, and opened the gates to a realm I did not enjoy remembering - the place of my birth was fiery and dark at the same time, causing burns and chills simultaneously, and endless nights of terror and pain. I remembered the moment she fed me, the moment that our eyes locked and our souls became one - the Deep Forest was perhaps, a special place to us, and yet, we mostly passed over it in our travels.

Today however, a strange burning came to my nostrils. Land, I said, somewhat urgently, impressing upon my beloved the strange mixture of scents I was picking up. With careful strokes and the fortunate support of her weathered magic, my little cloud landed amidst the dark, eerie lands just northeast of our home, peering into the shadows with her clear, cerulean gaze. My own pierced the darkness with a slightly keener stare, as my nose divulged everything that went on here recently. There was soot everywhere, ask and the stench of rotten, burned flesh. Death has happened here, I said sadly, as my beloved began to walk a trail nearby. I follow her on trotting paws, my tail erect and my ears propped to detect anything that might follow us.

It was not something following us, however, but rather, someone we happened to be following. Sitka, my cloud murmured with shock in her tones, she's from the Throat! I confirmed her suspicions as we approached the pale mare, my beloved singing out with her angelic voice, her limbers legs moving into a trot as she neared the damsel. I lingered behind, sitting back upon my haunches to watch the events unfold, and to ensure no unwanted company arrived here unbidden.

"Madam," her cherubic tones began, as she approached and realised the full extent of the mare's injuries. The stench of rotten and burned flesh was coming from her, she soon realised and with a dip of her crown, she recognised the signs of blindness in this mare's eye. "I'm Cirrus, of the Throat. I can help you," she said with a confidence she wasn't entirely sure was true. Breathing deeply, she neared the mare slower now, step by step, hoping not to startle her, even as she pulled upon the magic of the Sun only just returned to her. It's effects were dramatic upon her frame, as her pelt took on an illustrious shine, the clouds that were scattered across its blue seemingly glowing a rich silver, her very voice seemed to take on many levels at once. She began to hum quietly, as she prepared for perhaps the biggest task ever presented to her.

@[Rasta]
Sorry for the wait love. Right now Cirrus' magic will have a soothing/sedative effect on Rasta, and in my next post, she'll heal her with Rasta's permission :)

child of the sky
bg - table - manip
as changing as unforgiving as the wind, as bitter and chilling as the cold, as warm and deadly as the heat

• I enjoy being tagged.

• please do not feel pressured into mirroring the length of any of my posts
    I write what I feel at the time
    and hope everyone else does the same c:

Rasta Posts: 305
    Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
    Mare :: Equine :: 14.1hh :: six (ages in Tallsun) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
    Ettore :: Red-Tailed Hawk :: None Abba
    The pain. It was so intense. How much of the world was I missing? How much could I not feel as I lay here with my legs screaming in agony? I could hear wings. I could hear the air as it swooshed around but never came close to me. Should I scream? Should I beg for someone to come and help me?

I open my mouth, take in a deep breath, and then go to scream. To beg, to plead, to cry, to hope that someone might hear me and come to help – but the air doesn’t do anything except cross over my vocal chords. No soprano chords filter into the air, no broken remnants of syllables and consonants are allowed to cut the silence as if they were knives. I am hollowed and gagged by the inhalation of the dry air as it continues to scratch at my lungs. The dust that I am inhaling emanating from the scorched ruins which I have laid myself down upon in hopes of a refuge from the pain that is circulating through my legs and across my barrel and chest.

And I go to call out again, but pain is all that happens. Again, no words can be formed, only air passing over my chords as I struggle to find a way to gather someone’s attention. Perhaps if I got up? Perhaps if I kicked out at the dead tree and knocked it over? No. Too much pain. Laying down was going to be all I could accomplish even if I did possess the energy to continue to fight for my life. The battle that I had needed to forgo in order to even get to this location was immense. The radiating pain and the blank world were all that I knew for the moment. They were blocking out memories and thoughts. They were blocking out my view of the world.

But then, I wasn’t alone anymore! It seemed as though my silent pleas had actually been heard. I could hear the sound of hooves as they beat upon the ground. I could feel the ripples as they sent jolting, torturous pains through my limbs, twisting and pinching my nerves so that I could only wish it would all stop. My eyes squeezed shut and my mouth opened to scream ”STOP! JUST STOP MOVING!” at the world that wouldn’t listen. And again, my voice didn’t come out. I could feel the chords vibrating, though, and this time a low groan in shattered soprano chords as I shifted my weight and leaned up against the tree and felt it scratch against my unscathed back.

A voice, was it really a voice? I was probably hallucinating. I had to be. Who else would stumble across a dying mare’s form in a forest just as she had given up on life. Perhaps this was a sign that I should continue on. But, as I opened my eyes I tried to force myself to feel the vibrations. My maw, clinging to the ground as I breathed against the dirt, feeling it spray out a few feet in front of me. And, as I pressed my maw into the ground I allowed myself to feel most of the vibrations that way. What I had heard was not a lie. A winged one and a dog was not but ten feet away from where I lay.

Cirrus. From the Throat. She can help? She moved in closer, I could feel through pained limbs how slowly she was inching in toward my side. Something felt different, but what I wasn’t quite sure. The pain, it was dulling slowly. ”H-How?” I croaked out, voice so much harsher and lower than my usual silken speech. ”I-I-I” I paused, taking in air as I filled my scratched lungs up enough to speak, ”I’m R-Rasta. P-P-Please, just h-h-help.” My voice felt alien as it cooed out from my maw into the burnt air around the three of us. But, I no longer cared. If she could heal me, that was all I needed. I wanted to go home. I wanted to forget this venture. I wanted to find a way to be whole again.

719 words
    Merp. You got permission
    |: muse = so dead. hopefully it doesn't suck too much ._.