the Rift

[OPEN] One Day, The Skies Will Fall [open]

Sohalia the Transcended Posts: 477
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Astraeus :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya ChaoticMelodies
Sohalia

I have been thinking quite a lot lately.

I do not mean to make it sound as though this is a new activity for me, as I had a quite introspective youth; rather, my intention is to draw attention to the focus of my thoughts. You see, the sun has returned, and with it my magic, and I have spent the better part of the last week on the Wall. It is not anywhere near complete, and I found myself quite useless in the battle waged not so long ago on our sands. I do not wish to sit idly by while my family fights and dies for me, but I cannot bring myself to take up arms against another living soul. And so I have taken to that which I have come to know: crafting. I had thought that it would provide me not only a way to protect my family, but also a way to escape my own thoughts. I could not have been more wrong.

Though a pleasant job and one that requires a moderate physical effort, it is not one that is particularly demanding of my attention, which finds itself wandering again and again to the thoughts that plagued me throughout the endless night. As I frown absently, my brow creasing as I push a particularly stubborn bit of iron into place, I find myself again wondering what has become of my morals. Oh, I am quite wonderful when it comes to ideals on equality, on acceptance. But what about more personal issues - like love and lust and all of those things? I have not been so very successful on that front, with my mate running off to gods-know-where and the lover that I took to replace him (though, in truth, it really wasn't like that) being so desperately brutish that I can't even get across the concept of a daughter to him. Oh, yes, I have such a lovely life, don't you think?

I really do have a wonderful life, and wonderful daughters (though one did leave me) and a wonderful herd... but everyone likes to feel sorry for themselves now and then, wouldn't you agree?

And so my thoughts turn once again to my distinctly lacking love life, and I find myself on the same topic as I have all throughout the darkness: children. Oh, I love my daughters fiercely, as any mother should, but that does not mean that I want more. And, particularly with that strange longing that fills me in Gaucho's presence, I am afraid that without something to deter me, I will end up pregnant yet again when I fail to put off his advances. Not, I think reproachfully, that I want to put him off. Our mutual attraction is nearly a physical thing, it's so strong, and while I may think perfectly clearly here and now, without him, I know that the next time that smoldering, primal gaze lands on me, I will without a doubt be his. What can I do, then, except prevent pregnancy, if one can even do such a thing?

I ought to have asked Onni, that day when she met us at the border. I ought to have sought her out a million times since then. But then the battle came, and she was surely busy with actual wounds that needed tending, and my problems seemed so very trivial in comparison. And so I have stayed away. I shove, hard, at a new slate of metal with my magic, the exertion causing a light sheen to break out on my bodice. The rose pendant, a memoir of my not-quite-relationship with Gaucho, sways gently on my nape, reflecting in the sun. I suppose it might be better if I did not carry him around so, but then I cannot bear to part with the trinket. The metal in place, I tuck my nape in such a way that I can lip absently at the chain. It is a habit that I have begun in recent months, usually when I am considering my next move.

@[Onni]

[OOC | If you have enough time, Boom, I'd love an Onni thread. If not (and even if you join in), this is completely open for whomever!]

"Talk talk talk."
@[name]

Sohalia
Don't wanna leave this life knowing I barely tried...
Please tag Sohalia in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to place an order?  Visit Crystalline Creations here!
Want to plot with Sohalia?  Visit her plot page here!

Onni the Illuminant Posts: 194
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 8 Buff: SWIFT
Lyhty :: Diamond Firetail Finch :: Sing Boom Boom!

dreaming my dreams with you . . . </style>

One thing Onni had never quite understood - boys.

With an absent father, it is no wonder that our shaman started off on the wrong hoof with men. However, the typical dramatic acts strictly for the attention from males is quite the opposite of what happened to the painted girl. Instead of craving their attention, Onni simply seemed to gain it. The light-hearted and bright nature was appealing to most, except for grumpy opponents like Eribor, and attracted the eyes of many, platonic or not. The issue, you see, is not that Onni is without the opportunity to get entangled with the likes of love.

While the healer may have had several suitors in her past, the largest obstacle in her true ascention to adulthood is simple: she is clueless. Much like a child, the mare has no carnal thoughts, no hormonal urges, no unseemly secrets. Bright like the sun and innocent as a daisy, all of the heavy thoughts of males have just brushed off of her like water from a duck. You could perhaps blame it on the fact that her mother, Kri, is as far from a romantic as one can stand. Still, it takes a true innocent to survive five years living without parental influence unscathed by the likes of love.

At least, in the sense that Sohalia is worried about.

Love is not a lost concept on the shaman. She loves her home, her herd, her mother, the small bird upon her wing, the sunlight, and laughter. Onni loves lots and lots of things, but to be in love? Had she not asked Carnesir exactly what that meant? The only good his artful explanation did was clarify the pink and red flowers Moth held for her on that day. Now, that spring afternoon in the Seronia Dreamscape seemed so far away, surreal. Love is ephemeral, she decided, and that is a very scary idea.

Walking along in the desert, herbs packed along her back as she heads toward the Oasis, thoughts of love are far from the shaman's mind. Instead, a bright, joyous tune of summer hums from her lips, accompanied softly by the trill of a small bird - Lyhty. Lost in a world of sunlight and warmth, unable to feel the sweat building on her body under the gaze of the sun, the mare is totally at peace. After the Endless Night, every day is blessed and appreciated. A smile, almost a permanent fixture on her face, beams forth the moment a familiar figure comes into view.

A pale mare, winged and slimmer than the last time Onni had lain eyes upon her. "Sohalia!" she calls out, trotting forward after breaking her song with the finch, who continues to whistle distractedly. "How are you, sister?"
""

ONNI</style> image by ejpphoto @ flickr.com</style>
 just enough dark to see</style>
  how you're the light over me.</style>

Sohalia the Transcended Posts: 477
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Astraeus :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya ChaoticMelodies
Sohalia

Though I sense that the time for self-pity is over, I find myself wallowing deeper with each passing moment. The desert shimmers around me, waves of heat drifting off the sands creating a wavering mirage effect. I close my eyes, the best guard against such a sight. Behind closed lids, my world is dark and cool; though an unpleasant reminder of the endless night, it is soothing for the moment. I reach with my magic, feeling for weaknesses along my stretch of wall. Feeling none - only flat, hard, strong sheets - I withdraw into myself once more. It is time, I suppose, for a break, though if I had my way I would never stop working. Somehow I am afraid, though - afraid that my magic will once more be gone as quickly as it was returned to me.

I need it to be whole. Perhaps once I was more than just that, but not anymore. That was before I was broken beyond repair by the various events of my relatively short life. That was before my parents were killed. That was before my nurse died in front of me. That was before my firstborn died. That was before Note left me. That was before I gave in to temptation. That was before the gods deserted us. I was whole before. Now? Now I am barely breathing.

A gentle call and a bird's whistle pull me from my reverie, and as I open my eyes I find myself momentarily blinded by the sun's gleam on the sand. As the white fades, everything takes on odd shades and hues. When my vision finally returns to normal (after quite a bit of squinting that I'm sure was quite comical), I make out the shape of Onni. Ironic, as I was just thinking about seeking her out, but I am not one to look a gift horse in the mouth. "Onni," I call back with a forced smile. "I am well, with the return of the sun. And yourself?"

@[Onni]

"Talk talk talk."
@[name]

Sohalia
Don't wanna leave this life knowing I barely tried...
Please tag Sohalia in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to place an order?  Visit Crystalline Creations here!
Want to plot with Sohalia?  Visit her plot page here!