the Rift

little waves our bodies break [open]

Antero Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Oh how he loathed the summer.

The dog days did nothing for him - they were hot, humid, and overwhelming. Everything seemed damp and hot and escaping the ghastly heat of day was near impossible. Even in flight, Antero, an experienced pilot, found a challenge; his dipping, diving, soaring and other aerobatic manoeuvres were limited by the sticky air. He could feel his feathers weighed down with humidity, taking the performance right out from under his wings. These days tested his endurance, especially now, that it had been so long since he had fought in battle or trained for such conditions. The thick air was like soup to his lungs and like a barricade for his aerodynamics - perhaps today, it would be smarter to remain groundborne. The bay pegasus agilely trimmed the angle of his wings, opening them up wide to slow down his speed for descent. The clearing below him was bordered by tall maples and oaks, which promised some shade and relief from the hot sun - indeed, he could smell a source of fresh water nearby as well. It was at this point he realized his thirst, as his tongue unstuck itself from the roof of his mouth - Gods, this heat was awful.

The Commander landed, shaking himself once he did and puffing his wing feathers in order to settle them back to normal position. He stretched momentarily as well, some pops and twangs of muscles and tendons as the moved over bone shattering the still afternoon air. Pearlescent eyes scanned the clearing, ears erect and alert - an experienced animal indeed, one always on the lookout for danger. He snorted, somewhat irked with the idea of being earthbound, and walked towards the edge of the clearing.

Immediately, beneath the shade of the mighty oaks and maples, Antero felt relief from Tallsun's heat. A sigh escaped his parched lips, relief spreading across his features. This was certainly an improvement. The bay moved slowly, knowing that there was no point expending more energy than necessary, and found the small trickling stream of water he had nosed earlier. The lukewarm liquid quenched his thirst and eased his parched mouth, his survival instinct subsiding for a moment and allowing him to think clearly. Where were his compatriots? Where was General Vladic? At some point he had lost them, soaring a few hundred feet above their path of travel, keeping an eye out for unexpected surprises. Inevitably, he would cross their paths again - Antero had no concern for that at the moment, and for now, was focussed on staying out of the damned, wretched heat.

» OOC «
Completely and totally open! <3
*dusts self off* Excuse bad posting; its been a while!

Skywalker Posts: N/A
Unregistered

He has taken to watching the skies.

Skywalker wanders out of the suffocating quiet of the marshlands without aim. There is no direction for him and no purpose echoing in his languid traipse. The black stallion walks and that is all that is the case. Lately, he has kept to the marsh, secluded in the half-light and entertaining the vanities of his grand schemes and ulterior motives. But the place have grown unbearable in the Tallsun heat, the rancid waters swollen with the ripe scent of decay and the discontented whispers creeping up from the loose jaws of his herdmates. The newly appointed general is displeased with an amphora of things. The idleness of his family writhes like a sour-tasting worm in his mouth, the insolence of the insignificant but bold leap through him like violent jolts of electricity. For how much longer, he wonders, for how much longer will I have to keep my tongue and bear that heavy harness. Skywalker is made to destroy and rule, not to cow like a shivering pup.

And with this train rushing through his mind he has abandoned his home for a moment of respite. Wandering aimlessly this way and that he scours Helovia, treading down un-trodden and nameless paths, slipping through shadows and gossamer dapples of light. Crossing the lip of the threshold he does not immediately step into light but remains in the dark, humid shadows. While the air here does not reek of death it is unbearable nonetheless. Sweaty shadows settle on his shoulders and he notices the sweeping motion of a shadow rushing through the swaying tallsun grasses. Skywalker takes to watching the sky wand follows the airborne stranger descending from his lofty perch in the air.

Like a predator on its prey, the black stallion follows, emerges out of shadow but is careful to remain unseen as he makes his way towards the Pegasus. Only a few feet off he stops, lifting his head to closer inspect the stranger who quells his thirst. “Stranger,” he calls unceremoniously over the bubbling sound of the water, “welcome to Helovia.”

“Where do you belong?”

Rasta Posts: 305
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1hh :: six (ages in Tallsun) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Ettore :: Red-Tailed Hawk :: None Abba
Why did I always seem to be drawn closer and closer to the forests. They had never truly been a safe haven for me. No. They had always meant danger, meant death. In my old lands the forests had been near completely run by my enemy. That had to mean that it was not safe. But, instead it was something that I had accepted. And, not long ago, I had been travelling into the deep, deep forests here, believing that perhaps it might have been something different, only to have it proved that forests did not, in general, bode well for my poor, tiny frame.

Yet, I was in the forest again... Call me insane. I don't care. Being blind had it's effects, and I must admit that I was still immensely curious about the rapid heartbeats of a wall that were trailing around these lands. Had I been the only one to feel the pull and yank of everything that had made me... well me the second that I crossed the border? Or, had I simply been imagining this wall? The later seemed more likely, but I still felt this insatiable desire to cling closer and closer toward it to try and understand just where it was coming from.

Legs pushed forward. Muscles flexing. Each flick of my flints snagging onto the tips of the ground just long enough to call the endless waves of vibrations through my nerves to form a precious image in my brain. Duck a little to the left, swing a little to the right. Veer to the east, glide to the west. I didn't know it, but the hawk marking upon my left haunch was glowing vibrantly as I crossed under the shadowy areas that the canopies seemed to provide. But, it was the grasping tendrils of warmth from the sun that comforted me the most as I made my way in closer to the feeling of the rapid heartbeats.

Unfortunately for my me, my personal mission was cut short as I felt another frame trudge through the forest ever so slowly until he stopped. I could feel the soft rolling of the water as well as the accompanying trickling notes and I edged my frame in closer and closer only to feel the stealthy vibrations of another stag nearby. It is this second stag's voice that reaches my ears before I have even stumbled from the shadowed areas (now lit from my bright hawk marking). He calls out to the stag who he has stumbled across - or perhaps chosen to follow for a specific reasoning, I cannot say for I do not read his mind - and offers a welcoming to these lands.

Plastering a smile upon my face, as this is not something I had intended upon running into in my trek down here, I pulled myself out into the sunshine. I relished the feeling of the tendrils as they caressed my hide and warmed my abused soul. A short breath out and a flick of my audits forward and words began to spill from my maw in velveteen, soprano chords. "Gentlemen..." I say, dipping my cranium at both of the stags and then allowing my muscles in my shoulders to relax, to portray an image of ease. Though, do not get me wrong, if any wrong move was made I would be one of the first to attack them. Only one had an advantage (at least off the bat, the other equine might have some magical ability I had not anticipated) and that would be his gift of flight. Flight - the gift that the rest of my herd members also seemed to have been blessed with. Perhaps this would be an opportunity to grasp a new member, if he so desired a home with others of his kind. After all, the winged one smelled of lands I did not recognize, but the other equine smelled of the Helovian wilds - the lands I was uncertain I could enjoy anymore (especially if most of the rest of it was of the forested variety). "I am Rasta, an informant for the Dragon's Throat. May I be of assistance to either of you?" I offer, chords clinking together in sweet melodies as I delicately tilt my cranium to the side, blind eyes sliding between the two figures but never being able to focus upon either of them, only glance into the distance that was the general vicinity of their frames.

Perhaps today would be fruitful. Perhaps today would only lead toward more misery at the hands of a forested beast...

778 words
Sorry, Rasta usually likes to make me vomit words.
<3

Unregistered
He had no idea that there were others in the area - which was odd, for him, not to notice. Indeed, the heat had taken so much out of the stallion that he had found himself caught completely off-guard. The other stallion, a jet black with brilliant blue eyes, snuck up on him with the stealth of a leopard. Antero found it mildly unsettling, that he'd allowed himself to be so easily distracted by the heat that he nearly lost his wit, and immediately, he reverted to a more upright position. The water had refreshed him greatly and now, at least, he felt more alert.

Antero could not have been sure of the intent of the other stallion, particularly one who snuck up on another so quietly; he would, normally, take that as an offensive and aggressive motion. But the words that came from the black were quite the contrary; he offered welcome, and a question - certainly, too, a question that Antero would not mind answering. The Pegasus was not usually talkative, and so he kept is response short and to the point, but nonetheless, he knew it was improper not to reply. "Helovia," The world rolled off his tongue, as if he was committing it to memory. "I'm new here."

It sometimes felt strange to speak. The words were occasionally so foreign to him, his own voice sounding like that of a stranger - it was rarely that he required more than a few colloquial terms to describe his position, if he even chose verbiage at all. Indeed, Antero was a man of few words; a man who believed actions spoke louder than any verbal communication ever could.

He grunted, then, as the pallid mare came into view. It was a rather ambiguous sound; perhaps a grunt of displeasure (he wasn't the most social animal in the world), or perhaps just one of acknowledgement. In reality, it was likely the latter; again, Antero felt that words weren't necessarily required in this situation, and he greeted her with a quick nod. "I am Antero," he replied, his timbre deep and elegant. He was not sure what the mare spoke of, when she meant Dragon's Throat - perhaps it was one of the kingdoms here. Either way, he figured an answer would come along eventually. Oddly enough, the other stallion had mentioned nothing of his own home, and was more curious as to Antero's own intentions. He supposed that was to be expected, really - and now, that there was a mare in the mix, perhaps the dynamic would change even more. But Antero, being new, had no real understanding of the commonality here - or, indeed, the differences - and though he knew there was a difference between the two horses before him, he could not yet understand how much of one.

OOC
Sorry. Just awful, gah. <3

The other stag had not seemed to talk yet. That did not bother me, though perhaps it might have bothered others. Silence was something I had come accustomed to, and the little shifts of his muscles as they flexed in a bob of the head did enough to settle what was left of my nerves. My tail flicks across my hocks, a comforting motion for me as I rest back, blind eyes flickering between the two stags.

A name falls from winged stag who had grunted in acknowledgement of my arrival. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Antero." I murmured, sweet lyrics continuing to fall from my maw as I tossed my head up toward the canopies, "It's so nice to finally feel the sun's rays again, but that is beside the point. Are you looking for a home, Antero? Or perhaps you are just traveling through - either way I would be happy to help with whatever is desired, just give me a direction you wish for the assistance to be left in."

I blinked, peering back toward the stag who had not spoken yet. I supposed he would talk soon enough, he probably was wishing to gather this stag's allegiance as well. I didn't mind - only wished that if Antero desired another option he was given it. After all, being bombarded by random people was not the most entertaining situation to get stuffed into.

Vibrations trailed up my legs, feeling the tiny forest creatures as they scuttled across the ground. Little squirrels clambering up tree trunks and birds chirping in their own little song. How, against the thrumming heartbeat of the wall, they could continue on as if nothing was strange was beyond me. But, I could still admire them for finding such a state of normalcy that I had been lacking as of late.

312 words
omg it sucks so much. I'm so sorry
my muse has gone poof on all fronts |:

Unregistered
The other male had become mute to the world, and seemed to not respond when Antero had spoke. The winged stallion brushed it off and turned his attention to the female who, with his prompting of words, turned a quick foot and rattled off an introduction. He was bemused by her sweet voice and tender words, which were incredibly welcoming considering the situation. Antero, within his own mind, would have presumed some serious questioning from these new compatriots - after all, a strange horse in a strange land was something that usually didn't just pass unnoticed or unobserved. Casually, he wondered whether or not the same sort of thing had happened to Vladic; had he been greeted, and offered a home? It caused a small smile to dance on his lips, the thought of the old bastard being bombarded with offers. And of course, he would have been - who could resist the allure of having a well-appointed General in their herd?

Antero considered, for a moment, his own options - perhaps it would be wise to take up this blind mare's offer. She was pretty enough, yes, and that alone may have been enough to sway a younger stud, but the earnest tone of her voice and by the relaxed nature of her body language. Surely, her other senses were heightened, and her ability to communicate with bodily expression was likely a trait not found elsewhere.

And so, the bay decided - he would take up Rasta's offer. "Indeed, the pleasure is mine," The words flowed more freely now as his comfort level with the situation rose. He may have been a man of few words, but he had a high level of couth and propriety and would extend this courtesy to the pale mare. "I will take your offer, if it stands truthfully. I've travelled far - a new environment would be refreshing." He nodded, walking closer to the mare to extend his nose to her, in an effort to propose a standard horse greeting - exhaling into her own nostrils, and then inhaling, he gathered her scent and the scent of her home, committing it quickly to memory.

It was simple for me to relax my muscles as I stood there. It was a habit, to seem as though I was of no threat only to strike out like a viper if any threats were shown. Half of my brain was focused on the thudding feeling of the wall as it rocked through my body. Each pulse added to the headache that was slowly beginning to form, but I stood strong and attempted to focus upon the winged one before me.

Yes. Focusing on him seemed like the wisest thing at the moment. It would push out the distracting bits of pain. And so, as the words fell from his mouth in a calming cascade of vowels and consonants. He will take the offer of a home, saying he had traveled far and that a new environment would be refreshing. A nod from the stag, before he steps closer, each one sending ripples of vibrations through my legs. He extended his nose toward me, exhaling into my nostrils and then gathering all of my scent and the scent of my homelands.

Gently, she bumped maws, giving a tiny smile before she began to shift her weight back toward the direction in the south. "The offer is truthful, sir." I murmured, before turning on my haunches and starting off slowly. "I warn you, it is hot and dry - but there is a lovely oasis located in the middle if you ever wish to take refuge from the heat." I explained, "This way to the Dragon's Throat, many other winged ones live there as well..."

I paused, shifting my weight and then falling into a trot, "If you have any questions, just let me know, and I will answer them to the best of my knowledge," I offered before allowing silence to take over and my feet to lead the way back to the dusty home.

325 words
We can do a couple more posts or you can post once more and wrap it up.
I posted in the rank updates for him to be switched to Dragon's Throat Stallion, and as soon as your name is orange then you can post in any of the other lands
Sorry for the wait, lovely <3