the Rift

New beginnings lead to new ends. (Konstantin, open)

Aleksandr Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

So we began again.

This was nothing new. This was, in fact, what I thoroughly expected: one day we are bathed in sunshine in some forgotten beach, the other it’s mountains losing themselves in sky, and now –

Now this.

Whatever this was.

It didn’t matter, not really. I am not sure when it ceased to matter, but it did what feels like a lifetime ago. This place was no different from several other places, other faces and other worlds – such great wonders, this world brought us, and so many things I promptly forgot the moment we crossed out of wherever.

Now it was trees and the choking sense of claustrophobia (because this, of course, never changed) rushing me. Some primal urge to flee, for open spaces, for room to see and run and defend; an instinct bred into what felt like a hundred years ago.

(It was only three. Funny, how time passes.)

But, of course, not even this mattered, because the one thing that did – the only one that mattered, if I said so myself, and I did – was close enough to my side that I could breathe easy.

(If we die, at least we die together.

How morbid, Sashulya, I am sure he would say, if I voiced such thought to him, which I didn’t.

It calmed me nonetheless.)

It was something, however. A new beginning that would lead to a new end; I would not dare say a new hope. I wasn’t a very hopeful horse.

I wasn’t much of anything.

Brat moi,” I called when the silence became dull, rusty and wet as the forest pressing in on me. “Are we there yet?”

Some things never change. My need to follow was no different.

Didn’t mean I would not whine every step of the way.

ALEKSANDR
It's easy, there's a trick to it, you do it or you die.

Konstantin Posts: N/A
Unregistered
I don't know when the feather fell out.

Perhaps it finally succumbed to the torments of weather - kinked, matted mess that it had become - and perhaps some rogue branch had snagged it from my mane in passing. All I know, and all I would ever be able to say, was that I had found one unremarkable afternoon that it had vanished from its place of honor at the point of my withers.

There were days that I could not remember its significance. All that it had meant to me had vanished with the sinful blackbird to whom it had once belonged, but there were moments in the deepest and most silent shadows of night that the ruffling of crows' wings brought it all back. An esoteric remnant, then, that I would carry to the end of my eternity with all the rest.

And so I have.

---

Are we there yet?

I smiled back at my brother, for what else could I do? I was lost. We were lost. But then, how was that any different from any other time in our lives? It had been days since I'd noted the absence of my well-worn feather, since my red shadow had taken his leave in favor of wise discretion. Perhaps I hadn't a right to smile as I did.

Shouldering him roughly, I shot a glance about us at the dappled sunlight filtering through the trees. It was not so different from Ferraden's closeness and smelled strongly of horse. I told myself that the similarity was fortuitous, though I didn't quite feel it in my heart of hearts. Beginnings were wonderful, to be sure, but they always brought with them an ending as well.

I wondered where my red angel had gone.

"I think...." I began, squinting at the shadows before offering a helpless shrug. "We're somewhere, at least."

Boy-king, peacekeeper, envoy, twin - I'd never tried to convince anyone I was a navigator.

konstantin
tell them of my love and tell them of my pain
and tell them of my hope, which still lives.

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali
Ktulu
Ktulu
the Constrictor

There was really no need for Ktulu to be in the Threshold, none whatsoever, but the mare was there. It was hard not having any sort of purpose anymore. She felt more and more lost as the days went on. More and more useless. It wouldn't take too much time for her to reach the very edge of the Threshold and a few steps later she could leave Helovia behind and close a chapter of her life that was filled with failure and disappointment and hurt. Eytan kept her anchored, however, because she was unsure of how the bond she shared with the grizzly bear would handle leaving a magical land and going somewhere new. She didn't think she'd be able to handle if she lost the only thing that had stayed by her side even when she made decisions that he didn't agree with.

"I think... We're somewhere, at least."

Dark ears tilted forward and out of habit Eytan's pace quickened as he intended to leave his bonded to investigate and find the source of the voice, but his bonded's voice stopped him in his tracks. "Eytan." He turned and looked to the black and bronze mare and she gave a shake of her head. His caramel eyes showed his confusion at the situation because this had never happened before. He always investigated. He always found who it was and deemed if they were worthy of the Grey and he told Ktulu this, which drew a sad expression. "The Grey is no more, Eytan." She murmured as she walked past the bear, her muzzle brushing the top of his head as she went. "Its just you and me now."

For once the dark mare made no effort to be silent as she moved through the forest. Leaves and twigs cracked and crunched under her hooves as she walked. Behind her Eytan trailed, looking confused and dejected and completely worried about the downward spiral his bonded was going through since she'd given up her leadership in the Foothills. He had told her once before in a fit of anger that Lakota would not leave the Foothills for her, but now he was regretting his words and hoping that he was wrong. He was fearful of what she would end up doing and he tried his best to hide his fears.

"Welcome to Helovia, gentlemen." The hybrid said as she revealed herself, again confusing and concerning the bear because she had always lingered in shadows before, watched, and judged before she revealed herself. "You look lost and travel weary so I'll spare you long introductions. I am Ktulu and you're standing in Helovia's Threshold." She shifted her weight and rested a hind hoof on its tip as the bear came to stand next to her.

Image by ChaoticMelodies

Icon by Tay

Irrydae Posts: 111
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2hh :: Seven
paddeh

Irrydae
"What do I seek? Why, isn't that a secret?"
"Maybe you'll find out in time - maybe I, will find out in time."

The sun had returned. Irrydae felt reborn, in a sense. She very clearly remembers that day, waking up to blackness per usual. And then, light.

And disbelief.

She had watched the sun rise without a blink, not wanting to miss a single second of it, and thinking if she did it would disappear. Now things were back to normal. For the most part.

Irrydae still missed Evers. But it was time to stop hiding in her cave and return to her duties and so she found herself in the threshold. Where I first met Evers... she quickly throws away the thought, and with it she felt something new... anger. Betrayal. How dare he leave her? With a new purpose, she marched the short distance to the forest and quickly found herself within it's borders. Pausing, she inhales the moist scent of moss and dirt, sunlight filtering upon her purple back, stars twinkling meekly. Golden eyes peer out from under long black lashes, nares flaring as she searches for her target. Would she manage to ensnare a soul today?

Quietly, she picks her way through the underbrush, ears pricked forward as she listens for sounds of another. It doesn't take long before the faint sound of voices filters her way. Flicking her tail, she lifts her legs swiftly towards the voice's direction. 'We're somewhere, at least.' Words more distinct, and louder. She opens her mouth and speaks before she reveals herself. "Helovia." Her voice is soft and careful, walking forward with a calm demeanor and smile. "This land is called Helovia. And you are in the Threshold. Welcome." Irry talks softly, dipping her head softly to the two stallions, letting her wings fall at her side. Her voice is crossed with another- a familiar sound and smell. 'Welcome to Helovia, gentlemen.' Stardust particles fall from her wings and float slowly to the ground, golden eyes sparkling slightly as she gazes at the two, turning her head to see the black and bronze mare she once called Chieftess. Irrydae smiles at Ktulu, dipping her head to the mare as well.

"You two seem lost,- again their words harmonize and Irrydae pauses, muttering a sorry, and lets her finish. "And I am Irrydae, it is nice to meet you two... is there anything I can help you with? Any questions you have?" Irrydae asks with another smile, bicolored tail swishing at the ground slightly. The Foothills needed more numbers- maybe she could get two in one? Irrydae looks at Ktulu again, golden eyes traveling to Eytan. Deep down, she misses the brash leader and the way she ruled with few words. A sad smile fills her face for a second, eyes softening before turning back to the two stallions.

"talk talk talk"

[Image: wu5k41.png]
please tag irry in every post! magic & aggression allowed w/o death

Skywalker Posts: N/A
Unregistered

So much time has passed.

And yet, none at all; although different shapes have been taken, different worlds invented and different names crafted from the dark of imagination, all is the same. A comfort and a grief intermingled in a complex juxtaposition. I will not say that I’ve thought about you much – on occasion yes, I’ve compared these newfangled seedlings and their dreams to ours. We were so much grander, were we not? We built these worlds upon which they now tread. Our forgotten dreams are become their legends, our devastating failures their epic wars. I wonder if any of them would remember if I told them the tales that we’ve crafted; I wonder if they would recognize the heavy stakes of history that we’ve dug so deeply into the ground? Probably not.

But I’ve missed you, terribly so. I’ve missed the history we share; I’ve retraced the steps of our past. Hawkmeadow. Syric Hollow. Gatnamot. Phoenix Ridge.

It seems that we never die; we never stray too far from the hulking shadow of our childhood. We must be grown up now, with lives and meaningful tasks ahead of us. I know that I am – so much so that I’ve tried to forget. And yet somehow, I cannot. Whatever happened to us, and what is it that keeps us – me – returning to a past that can never be quite the same?

I daresay we invented dreaming. I daresay we created this magic – for better or worse. And now? I find myself caught in the swollen ribcage of a ghost, this gossamer world from wherein I peer out at these fledgling dreamers. I find myself ruined, embittered by the realization that things will never be the same. That I am alone and lost; that you’ve all moved on –

Perhaps that isn’t entirely true.

I’ve missed you.

Will you stay for a while, play with me? In remembrance of what we were.

Yours faithfully,

The Tide of Revolution.

Unregistered
The feather was gone.

Of course it was. I made sure of that.

Meet and greet was an unfortunate – or fortunate, for some – side of traveling. It wasn’t quite something I was comfortable with; I enjoyed the travel, I even enjoyed the destinations, a little, and yet, this was the part I was not made for; this was Kostya’s domain.

I was always the shadow behind my brother’s boy-king.

They seemed nice, even harmless, at first; it was unconsciously, mere muscle memory, that I moved a step further to shield him, such an obedient, well-trained bodyguard.

“Not lost,” I told the stardust-mare. I didn’t smile. I hardly ever did. “We don’t have a destination.”

We never did. Home was the stars and the shadow on the lake, home was the infinite; we were always in journey. Nothing was ever permanent.

“Thank you, though,” I flashed a look at my brother, as I always did. “Both of you.” There was something in the woods, something that unnerved me, a smell of pines and – something that made my muscles tighten automatically and my deeper instinct to rise to the surface of my skin. It did not mingle well with the pressure of the woods around and over me.

“We are Aleksandr and Konstantin,” I said, gesturing toward my twin at his name.

Maybe a year ago I might be surprised by their looks; as it was, wings and horns did not bother me any more (and I tried to not remember her, my sweet – oh, don’t think about it Sasha, just don’t).

What did surprise me, was someone –

“Do I know you?”

Did I?

Unregistered
It would be inaccurate to say that I was an easy creature to shock. I had seen things – done things – far beyond the content of my character, and lost not a whit of sleep over it in passing. Rather, it didn’t take much to draw me in, the proverbial – or not so proverbial – moth. I was yet young in both age and appearance, however fat my memoirs had already grown, and I was not yet so proper as to swallow my emotions outright.

A pair of strange-looking horses (for unicorn or pegasus or demon, ‘horse’ was still how I saw them – especially now, after everything that had happened) had slipped like ghosts out of the humid, woody air and into our sun-dappled corner of wherever.

Oh. And a bear. Hello, bear.

Instinctively my neck slipped across Sasha’s withers as he stepped across my path – out of habit rather than fear, though something had indeed sparked a tiny thrill in my heart. Our glossy hides ran together like warm ink.

I moved my head slightly as though to whisper in his ear, my eyes lingering perhaps too long on the star-clad pegasus, and self-consciously thought better of it. Father’s habits were rude habits.

My name on Sasha’s lips was as a fire on my skin. Briefly, I glowed, but my thoughts were already a pile of ferrets. I looked from one mare to the next, to the bear, to the shadow that had yet to present itself as more than a whisper, then surrendered to a proper and unashamed stare at Irrydae’s wings before concluding with a flick of my ears that perhaps the most dignified course of action would be to address the trees instead.

“I have lots of questions,” I said honestly. Most of them were absolute rubbish; Sasha was the pragmatist, not I, and he was occupied.

And to think, brother mine, that we were once princes and kings. No wonder the dynasty fell.

Tilting my head, I wrestled the wild colorful snare of my consciousness into some semblance of order and started at the only place that made any sort of sense. I glanced again at the forest before fixing my gaze upon our company from across the curve of my brother’s neck. “What exactly is this a threshold to?”

Besides ‘Helovia’, obviously. I’d gathered that much.

Ktulu
Ktulu
the Constrictor

"Star girl." Eytan's voice echoed in Ktulu's head before she could even turn her gaze to the other mare. When she had finished addressing the two stallions she did look toward Irrydae and dip her head in acknowledgement of the other mare. She seemed to hold no ill will toward her ex-Chieftess, and it made Ktulu wonder how many were the same. Eytan grumbled and growled his greeting to Irrydae before turning his full attention back to the two newcomers and his own bonded, but his attention did not stay locked on them for long. The presence of yet another drew the bear into the shadows as he began his search.

"What exactly is this a threshold to?"

"This is a Threshold leading to a place filled with hatred, racism, and greed." Ktulu answered rather bluntly and glanced toward Irrydae. "You may find those pure of heart, but they are few and far between. You've had the good fortune of one of the few coming to greet you." She didn't belong here, so what was she doing? Why was she greeting newcomers when she had no home to offer them? She didn't even have a home for herself and Eytan.

The Constrictor returned her gaze to the twin brothers, her ears tilting back at the way one of them stared at Irrydae's wings. She wondered if he were another one of the racist bastards that came into Helovia and made life difficult for everyone else or if he had never seen a winged mare before. "There are four separate herds that claim Heloiva and several outcast groups with hopes of waging war and gaining land for themselves. You would not be welcomed in the Basin." She said, point blank. "The World's Edge and the Foothills accept members of all races as does the Dragon's Throat, but you must first meet with the Sultana and she must pass judgement on your worthiness."

Image by ChaoticMelodies

Icon by Tay

Skywalker Posts: N/A
Unregistered

Like a wound he bleeds into sight, a crack opening only to let a dark whisper pour from its mouth. He does not know what to say, who to address or where to look but he knows – instinctively and fiercely so – that he cannot leave yet. He knows neither of them (that hesitant question is polite enough to answer itself) and yet there is something in him that does. Undoubtedly and incontestably a sense of familiarity, a vague recognition of something intangible, shivers underneath taut muscle, sinew and tripe.

But he does not know why and, what is more, he does not know what to make of it all.

Softly, the voices flutter against and into his ears; he looks at the twins first with question in his eyes and then to the gossamer starglow of Irrydae’s wings. Much like one of the twins – they are like an oilspill cloven in two and he finds it hard to distinguish one from the other – his eyes linger a little too long at the pegasus before slipping to the unicorn. The mares smell of here, this place of wretched magic and implausibility; it is not they who tug impatiently at the very core of him, it is not they who demand a strange and boyish longing from him. He shrugs and a small thought is brave enough to settle between his ears – they smell of home, wherever that is.

How complicated, since Skywalker has never known home.

And yet he knows: they are from the same place. The same blood?

No. That's not it. Something else.

Kutulu them a condensation of this world that seems mostly true, albeit a little filigreed by the taint of her experiences – but who is he to judge? Irrydae presents them with the prospect of answers to whatever questions might dangle unanswered and ripe in the vast unknown that stretches beyond these sylvan shadows and whimsy, mossy dapples of half-light and mystery. Skywalker will not object and remains silent for a long while, struggling to fathom the gravity of this introduction – how, why?

Do you, Skywalker? Do you know these two?

“No,” he answers simply and rolls his shoulders into a hopeless and honest shrug, because he does not.

He just knows that they belong together, somehow. These three black figures folded neatly into the gaunt and grave shadows of epic history. “But it feels like I do,” it does not suit him, this unabashed and childish sincerity.

“A world like any other,” he adds at the end of Kutulu’s words. A pause and a flickering ear here. No smiles here, either, “and all the usual nonsense that comes with it.”

“I am Skywalker.”

Irrydae Posts: 111
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2hh :: Seven
paddeh

Irrydae
"What do I seek? Why, isn't that a secret?"
"Maybe you'll find out in time - maybe I, will find out in time."

And another. Per usual.

The newcomers always seemed to be met by multiple choices - Irrydae herself definitely was. No. Stop. She knew what that thought would lead to. A silent sigh builds in her chest, before turning her head to the stallion as he arrives and nodding slightly to him. 'Not lost, we don’t have a destination.' Wise words. I smile at his thanks, trying to make a mental note exactly who was who - but no way. They were identical nearly to the last hair, an oil spill covering rippling muscles. A single dash of white, like a lone star upon a black sky.

The black sky following the disappearance of the Gods. Though she had no stars to guide her - she had been lost without her stars.

A shudder rips through her form, and she does her best to hide it by side-stepping slightly and adjusting her weight. Smooth. Irrydae looks at the stallion, who has said nothing. A awkward feeling settled in her chest, glancing between the stallions. 'Do I know you?' 'No.' Irry watches the roll of his shoulders, ruffling her wings subconsciously and a frown creasing her brow at his next words, 'But it feels like I do.' The other twin speaks up and Ktulu is quick to answer.

'This is a Threshold leading to a place filled with hatred, racism, and greed.' Irrydae nearly smiles at how blunt the ex-Chieftess is. Typical. Ducking her head slightly, she quickly regains her composure to turn golden eyes back to the black mare - and then she realizes more bronze was painted upon the mare than before.

Bright red eyes turn to Irrydae and she nearly feels uncomfortable staring into the eyes of her old leader, 'You may find those pure of heart, but they are few and far between. You've had the good fortune of one of the few coming to greet you.' If she could blush, she would be. Irrydae felt... honored to hear Ktulu say that, heart warming as she smiles.

'A world like any other, and all the usual nonsense that comes with it.' So he speaks. His face is hard - no smiles. Irrydae presses her mouth into a line for a second... oh god, do I smile too much? What a foolish thing to worry about. 'I am Skywalker.' How could he walk on the sky without wings? Sometimes Irrydae pitied the wingless. Because nothing is better than the wind stinging your eyes, air rushing past your eyes and pure freedom - she treasured flight. It brought her closer to her stars.

"Please, speak up if you wish. I will answer anything." Irrydae insists to the second speaker... was that Aleksandr? No.. Konstantin? No. Well, crap. Irrydae's ears perk forward, golden eyes eager for anything else the twins might have to say.

"Aleksandr.. Konstantin, I would love to invite you to my home if you so wish." Irrydae pauses, sincerely hoping she could get these two to come to the Foothills - they interested her. "I could take you there now, unless you wish to wander or live with another herd, and then I could point you in the right direction." The Storyteller finishes, a small smile shot in the direction of the twins.

"talk talk talk"

[Image: wu5k41.png]
please tag irry in every post! magic & aggression allowed w/o death

Unregistered
Racism, hatred and greed, she said.

“Sounds fun,” I said in return. It wasn’t like we hadn’t met similar things in our journey; I had a taste of intrigue, violence and hatred not that long ago. It was sarcasm, quite obviously so – I wasn’t particularly hateful or racist, after all, and whatever greed I had was lost with those tropical beaches of our tender youth – but, nonetheless; it could be, I guessed.

Racism, hatred and greed… one might say, the very reason why we lived at all.

Foothills – how interesting – and World’s Edge – how literal. Mayhap we would find a place there, among them. I had no doubt my brother could charm his way into whatever he well damned pleased, wherever he so wished; it was his nature, and it had happened before. Would, I dared think, happen again, and sooner rather than later. Truth was I was not entirely sure I cared either way. I went where he went, the shadow to his always-present light. Inner light.

Instantly, I saw his eyes drawn to the winged mare, rather predictably so. Instantly, I thought of another winged mare, not so long ago. My memories were like the wind, they came and went, but they always – always returned in the least appropriate moment.

I was thought, rather than memory.

“It does,” I answered him, quietly, and dared take a step further, eyes on him, one ear on my brother, the other on the rather obvious, massive, overwhelmingly present predator hiding not that far from us.

Skywalker, though, such familiarity that was not familiar, how strange – I was not one given to such flights of fancy, maybe then I would discover why in due time, maybe not. I was not sure I cared either way. Still, he merited some attention. Those were the eyes of someone who had seen things – the same look, in fact, mirrored in Ktulu’s eyes.

And, well, there was the bear.

“I wonder why?” I mused, mostly to myself.

And,

“I’m assuming the, uh, bear over there is someone’s friend and not actually a murderous killing machine just biding its time?”

Seriously, someone had to ask, right?

Unregistered
For creatures so young, my brother and I carried with us a breathtaking amount of baggage – illusions of grandeur, and all the shameful despicableness that follows them, were not included. We’d grown up in worlds where we were almost painfully ordinary: no wings or weapons or lovely eye-catching colors, without great wisdom or size to separate us from the crowd. We had only ourselves to work with.

I enjoyed the freedom of mediocrity.

Sasha’s attention seemed torn between the other black stallion (he reminded me in some oblique way of Brishen, and my lips turned up in the barest ghost of a smile at the thought) and the bear (which didn’t really remind me of anything but a bear, strangely). Instinctively I breathed lightly into the muscle of his shoulder as though calming a bristling cat. “He seems friendly enough,” I murmured, glancing toward Ktulu and the bear himself for assurance. It was not that I trusted so easily; one tended to give as good as one got, and I generally preferred to make friends rather than enemies.

The stars of Irrydae’s wings caught my eye; I wondered idly if it was indeed the night sky branded upon them, if I might spy some of my own stars in the covert feathers, and almost as quickly became self-conscious at the thought. As always, I buried the errant wanderings of my thoughts in philosophy.

“Anything?” I echoed curiously. From any other mouth it might have been a challenge – from Sasha’s, certainly. We were not, as it turned out, identical in every way.

“What do you honestly think is the absolute worst thing about your home?”

If I could stomach the worst, I figured, we could adjust to just about anything else. We always had before.

Turning toward Skywalker and Ktulu with childlike interest in the tilt of my head, I added, “Where do you live?” I knew nothing. We knew nothing. My brother would follow wherever I led, perhaps, but I knew enough to know that whatever decision I made would be little more than a leap of faith into a murky abyss. Hopefully we would find fluffy mattresses at the bottom.

There might just be broken glass.

Ktulu
Ktulu
the Constrictor

Ktulu glanced at Skywalker as the stallion finally revealed himself, her gaze critical and almost calculating. Moments later Eytan emerged from the forest again and sat facing the gathering of horses. The bear shifted uncomfortably and Ktulu could feel his growing uncertainty for the two newcomers and the stallion that introduced himself as Skywalker, but he was disregarded momentarily as Aleksandr questioned Eytan's intentions. Ktulu raised a 'brow' in response.

"His name is Eytan." She replied to which the bear growled. "We are bonded in mind and soul. As of right now he poses no threat to anyone that does not pose an immediate threat to myself or Irrydae." Her head nodded in the starry mare's direction. She wondered briefly how the other mare would take to being offered Eytan's protection but then decided that she would appreciate it.

It was out of habit that she had offered protection to the other mare, however passive it might have been. It was hard to not defend those that had once been considered a part of her family.

Ktulu found herself looking at Irrydae and watching her as she spoke, only being drawn away when Konstantin directed a question at her and Skywalker. "I live the life of an outcast." She answered almost lifelessly. "I claim no land as my own."

ooc:// sorry for the wait, was out of town for the weekend

Image by ChaoticMelodies

Icon by Tay

Colt Posts: 68
Hidden Account atk: 3.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14 hh :: 5 years HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
Dark

"The smell," a voice calls out from the woods, a body soon following behind. The shrubbery stirs around dark legs as they pull her from behind a trunk, the left fore streaked with a red reminiscent of blood in color and pattern. Marked from birth, perhaps it was a destiny and not her just her father that had landed her in a position like this one.

A position where her gut churns with bile just looking at the unicorn and pegasus that linger so near the unmarred perfection that is the equine.

Colt puts a smile on her lips and proffers it to the brothers, even passing a glance to the shadow stallion. The other species are for the most part politely ignored. It makes it easier for her to pretend they aren't there than to knowingly be forcing actions and words out of her body for their sake. For that very reason though she can't deny they are here. If only pretending was enough, like closing your eyes and counting to ten so the monster in the dark will vanish.
They should be the one closing their eyes...

"There's copious amounts of shit out in the wild lands that I call home, but otherwise it's nice enough, so long as you watch where you walk." Colt only speaks a portion of the truth. She has not been beyond the Threshold yet, but if Helovia is anything like the places beyond it, the wilds are all the same and full of all the same crap. Hard, tough, ugly - it's a life, but it's not one she wants.

That's why there's the Empire. Brick by brick they'll lay it down, building it one equine at a time, maybe two in this case.

"I'm Colt, of no place in particular." she informs with a curt bob of her head. Formalities are not her forte, but she understands their needs and is certainly better at playing nice than Ricochet is. Knowing that she is better than him at anything is enough to fill her with a glee that escapes in the glimmer of her eyes and the upturned creases of her maw. "There are more, opportunities, to be had beyond the herds here. If one is willing to instigate a change..." Colt flicks her tail nonchalantly and lets her eyes, hard and colored like balls of steel, drift to the side. She is purposefully staying vague, but hopefully there is enough to incite their interests. To check, and to drive home the point that the invitation is extended purely to those akin to her, Colt's gaze flashes back to the three stallions, appraising them each in turn with a certain hunger in the depth of her eye contact.

I want you. All of you.

HAPPINESS IS A WARM GUN

[Image: 5518a658038f0]
The Equine Empire wants YOU! Assuming you refers to an equine.
Join the movement.

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Unregistered
From elsewhere in the indistinct shadows came yet another strange face.

It wasn’t difficult to imagine why this forested corridor, however ill-suited it may seem in the eyes of an architect, might come to be known as the Threshold. Traffic stamped highways rather than deer trails through the thickets and deadfall, and a moment’s lingering had produced quite the welcoming committee for a mere pair of black horses.

Ktulu called herself an outcast. In the very distant past, embedded in my DNA, the word might have carried with it some nebulous negative connotations – rejection, unworthiness, volatility – and the mare’s voice trailed away in such a way that made me think she might feel similarly, but I politely did not react. We didn’t have a home either, and I’d never really minded. The things that hurt me could not rightly be put into words.

Then the newest of them spoke, rough around the edges and making vague yet enticing insinuations. Irrydae and Skywalker had fallen silent; almost instinctively I glanced to the former and then to my brother for guidance.

I was opportunistic, certainly, but I also lacked all ambition. I did not hope for a change so much as I pretended the world was already exactly as I wanted it to be (miraculously enough, sometimes it changed itself to suit), and had we never left the lost islands I would have perhaps been content serving as majordomo to the honorable Aleksandr Zavulonovich, king of Atlantis, may his reign be long and fruitful and all of that fluffy ostentatious garbage, for the rest of forever. That I had been on the knife end of more than one revolution in my life was a side-effect of my friendliness rather than activism.

“What sort of ‘change’?” I said slowly. One could not quite call me suspicious, but Ktulu’s earlier point gave me pause.

Unregistered
Ah, right. I was no stranger to the concept of familiars, and as thus, that indefinable tension inside me unclenched almost instantaneously. That other part of me – the one that ran through other grooves, that understood and read things my brother would not – saw the advantage in having a freaking bear as your companion, your familiar, closer than any mate: it was a reassurance, a support. Succor, even.

Interesting. Curiouser and curiouser, these lands.

There were other underlying impulses, however. I was trained (I had to) see these things. Sorrow, perhaps, or loss; those things I knew well (though, ah, gods, not so deeply as it could’ve been – were I a believer, I would have thanked them for such fortune, that I had him).

“I understand being an outcast,” I said, not unkindly, and in my tone I hoped to convey other things: I understood it could hurt, even if I was not hurt myself by such a thing. We were nomads, my brother and I, much as the stars themselves, the stars he adored; I had no bondage to land and herd, to nothing but him, and, well, I went where he went.

To think, we were once princes and kings…

This was when the blue mare appeared – interesting indeed, with the lure of, what? Ambition? Perhaps in yonder days I would be tempted (it felt so far, when it was what, one year, two years ago, at most) by the lure of power and, well, other things. Maybe even now it held some charm – I was my father’s son as well as my mother’s, in the end.

Also, a mare named Colt; figures.

“Change is good,” I said, neutral even by my own standards; it was a fact, though not always. “And so are opportunities, though not always and not for everyone. Do explain,” and never say that I could not be charming; even as a brushed my brother’s shoulder, I smiled at her – it was not a particularly nice smile, but it was not particularly bad, either.