the Rift

Something to say [Open/Quest]

Torasin Posts: 132
Deceased
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 8
imi
[Image: top4xk.png]
The princely man made his merry way on over to the Foothills. He'd been here a few times and on every occasion he had been met by a different herd member. Each had been kind to him in their greeting. None more so than the Chieftess Gossamer. However, this time he was a little more unsure of himself. Preaching the greatness of the Sun God after all he had done to the land already was sure not going to be met with pleasant stares. Torasin just hoped he didn't make too many enemies in his quest for healing magic. Maybe there would be a chance to apologize for it later. Who knew. This land was strange and the paint hadn't quite adjusted to it yet.

Kiba was stretched out across his bonded's back, taking a well deserved rest from watching the twins. His two sons were full of the joys of life and seemed to grow too quick for Tor's liking. Already they chaffed to explore the world for themselves, Nym more so than Abel but still... They were so young. Another reason for Torasin to gain this magic. The protection of his sons was vital to him.

Slowing to an easy walk, the steed eased his way across the rocky terrain. The early morning sun already heating up quickly but it didn't seem to have quite the edge in the Foothills. For that he was glad. The journey was a pleasant one and Torasin enjoyed to travel the region anyway. Hooves brushed the surface gently, keeping his pace slow and expression one of friendship.
[Image: tortab.png]
burtn.deviantart.com | limitofgold.deviantart.com | frozenstocks.deviantart.com | schwartze.deviantart.com

[He just needs someone to come listen to his drabbles about how 'great' the sun god is]

Deceased
imi
-pokes thread-

Query Posts: 48
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15 :: 7
Nogard
As Query roamed through the foothills on this day towards the end of this season that reminded her of Summer where she came from, although everyone from around here seemed to call it "Tallsun", she stumbled across a familiar face. It took her a little bit to remember just who it was, as he was different from when they first met and that was the image of him that stuck with her. It also had been a while since they had met up again in the Threshold.

As she approached she noticed something on his back. She looked closer at what looked to her like...was this what Solstice had mentioned...was this his...dragon...she moved quicker towards him excited to finally be seeing a dragon for the first time.

"Hi, Torasin. What brings you out here today? And what is that on your back? Is...that a....dragon...? Solstice told me that she helped you out with getting you a dragon. It's so cute!"

Deceased
imi
Torasin took a deep sigh of relief. Query. The friendly mare he had first come across in the Oasis of Anarore was the one fate had chosen to greet him on this day. She seemed surprised and Tor looked happily at his bonded, "yes, this is Kiba. My brown dragon companion whom I wouldn't have to this day without the help of Solstice, he's a little curious so you may have to excuse him" the brown gave the paint a mock offended look before gliding off to meet Query. He chirped in a colourful greeting and proceeded to move into a dance of flips and twists. Torasin rolled his eyes and put his mind to task.

She is the last one I need he reassured himself that he was doing the right thing. This magic was important for protecting those around him. With that in mind he took a deep breath and began to speak. "I'm here so I can tell you of the Sun God." He paused, this was harder than he thought. Telling those two unicorns may of been hard on him physically but to actually muster the strength to say a speech was quite a bit easier. This was surprisingly hard with someone he knew, it didn't require the theatrics which he was rather good at. Instead it was like... Notifying someone. Imagine if it was Mirage... Torasin flinched away from the thought and continued onwards. "He has told me to tell individuals of his power and glory. As you may of heard the Dragons Throat fell and Ra, the favoured servant, was killed in the plight. This does not sit well with our mighty Sun God, his power is unconceivable! The land will pay for insulting him as such, his Divine Majesty will bring about a bright and flaming glory to this land once more. No one can withstand his might! The Edge has already paid the price and no doubt the Foothills will be next. Residents should heed warning, the Sun's arm reaches far and wide, none will escape his glorious light!" Torasin had to stop himself from cringing at some points. So much for less theatrics he thought dryly to himself.

For now, all he could do is wait for Query's reaction. Once he was done here, the paint could finally return to the Veins.
burtn.deviantart.com | limitofgold.deviantart.com | frozenstocks.deviantart.com | schwartze.deviantart.com

Hidden Account
Nogard
Query snickered at the site of this little dragon being such a show off. His little flips, twirls and chirps amused Query greatly.

Once the little brown dragon was done being the show off child that he was Query listened to what Torasin had to say.

She was completely confused by just about all he had to say though.

"There are gods here? I thought that a god was just a thing that the humans would make up. What makes him so great then and why must her burn and pillage those that don't wanna go along with him. Fire is a horrible thing. The first place that I had considered a home was lost to a fire. I barely got away. I could never respect one who burned things up like that..."

"I admit that I have never heard of this...Ra...but why was he killed, what did he do to deserve death?"

Query was a little frightened, after all fire was no friend of hers. Though, this was coming from Torasin. She did respect him.

"Why do you seem to try to praise the name of one that sounds so mean?"

Solstice Posts: 93
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 15 hh :: 8 (at time of death)
Emily
As if she had been called, who other than Sosltice appeared. Her ears caught the words of Tor and her hazel eyes widened in surprise.... He was here preaching the GOODNESS of the Sun God.... What the hell was he thinking?! Hooves pounded into the ground as she moved closer. She snorted as she came to a halt facing her once herd mate of the Oasis. "You come telling of the power of the Sun God! Is it not the Sun God who created all this insane heat so that we all may suffer his wrath?! How dare you Tor!" Her ears laced back at the one she once called friend.... Now she wasn't so sure...... Could he really be trusted? He was part of the Qian... was he not? What would Mirage think? Before she even realized it those exact words burst from her maw "What would Mirage think to hear you talk about your glorious Sun God?" A frown was placed across her maw as she waited. Her hazel eyes only softened as they looked to Query in apology. She had not meant to run up like this.... But Tor.... How could he.....

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks
"She would be appalled."

The dark accented tones pierce the air like ice, sharp and judgmental, and full of disdain. From the shadows I emerged, a moonbeam escaping the shelter of trees where I had been grazing, watching, waiting. Kali stirred upon my back, yawning curiously and stretching as she registered the wealth of emotion that had overcome me, the disgust and disappointment staunch in my mind. I had heard the conversation from a distance, but I could not make out the words, only some faint echo of familiarity in the voice. Lazily I ventured through the woods, gait steady to avoid waking the drowsy gryphon upon my back; at barely a week old, Kali was already a young mistress of disaster, and her time spent sleeping decidedly relaxing. I stayed close to the Foothills, and told myself it was for her sake, not because I enjoyed the company of those within... but in truth, having found a friend I was reluctant to risk loosing him again.

But now she is waking, the little demon who has stolen my heart, thrown into alertness by the anger that seethes off of my dark coat. I listened from the woods, from the shadows, listened and grew ever angrier - not for myself, but for Mirage. Solstice's question was echoed in my own mind - what would she think, to see her supposed friend brought so low? The display was disgusting, a groveling pile of drivel delivered to a mere child. For what, I wondered? For power? For strength?

"I hope you are proud."

I stepped out behind Solstice, frozen wrath to her blazing indignation. Atop my nape, Kali had risen to full alertness, her long ears standing at attention atop her pale skull, blue eyes staring unflinching at Torasin, predatory and fierce. There is a bitter fire in my eyes, a pain and hatred rarely encountered and fearsome when found. Low and harsh, my voice continues to spill out into the air, quiet venom edged with a threat. Torasin. How dare you. "Proud to be a turncoat. Proud of what you would do for power, for the lows you would stoop to. Tell me, Torasin, are you proud to be the preacher of a petty, vengeful god, one who burned your dearest friend and her kin?" Oh yes, his beloved sun had hurt us. How did he feel now?

I stalk towards him, passing the painted mare, passing the foal. There is something feral that has overcome my normal calm, a deep set pain on Mirage's behalf. She told me I could trust this one, told me I had nothing to fear from him. "You are shaming yourself, child," I murmur, voice low and sharp, for his ears alone. Above us, Kali hisses. "You are shaming yourself, and you are shaming the Qian."

I step back, crown raised body drawn to its full, imposing height. I am not done with him. "Now," I intone, voice raised enough to include the others, calmed and hinted with threat, "Why don't you take this opportunity to explain to us the reason for your driveling?" Kali has slid down to the crescent of my rump, but still she watches, long tail beating the air. My eyes speak volumes, a warning and a chance for some form of rescue offered in their depths. You get one chance, darling. Better fucking use it.

Deceased
imi
Torasin sighed in relief. Query didn't seem to understand the full implications of what he was actually doing. The Sun God had done many things to the land, maybe if the mare knew more she would of turned on him. Instead she asked questions and the more she asked the more frightened she seemed. Torasin watched her finish, concern lining his golden face. Forgive me Query he thought to her, the questions she asked were going to be hard to answer. Finding his voice once more Tor was about to reply when another approached.

Well, approached may not be exactly what she did.

Solstice appeared from, in Torasin's eyes, nowhere. He heard her before anything else, the stallion never knew she had such fire in her. The always so sweet Solstice he once knew was now shouting at him, with quite a bit of venom. Not that the paint could blame her, he was a traitor. He was also trying to help them, but they wouldn't know the true meaning behind his speeches. All they saw was him helping their enemy. He wasn't sure which was worse, being beaten up by unicorns or facing friends who thought him a traitor.

What would Mirage think to hear you talk about your glorious Sun God?

He cringed at the last question. So far the stallion had been blessed to not of run into Mirage whilst he was completing his task. The mare he had first met in Helovia, and her dragon, would probably think he had betrayed them too. Kiba had flown back to his bonded, scowling at Solstice as he did so. You shouldn't think bad of her, she thinks I've betrayed her and Mirage he said silently to the brown. Kiba looked at Torasin and sent him a wave of sympathy. Solstice seemed to of stopped speaking and the steed's mind was still reeling when Rishima showed up.

Torasin could of cried there and then. The all too familiar sister of Mirage calmly walked into their little gathering, clearly not impressed with the stallion either. The obsidian sister didn't even bother with questions to start with, instead she began with the accusations. Torasin's thoughts denied everyone of them. A griffon was with her too, since when... He didn't get a chance to think about it as Rishima went on with her own speech. The steed wincing on nearly every word. Her new bonded creature, white in colour, hissed in back up. From near Tor a low warning trill sounded from Kiba as he flew in front of his bonded in a warning like gesture, his wings thrashing at the air. Rishima ended her tirade with the last question giving Torasin a chance to salvage whatever friendship bonds they had left.

There was a pause, what should he say? What could he say? He couldn't go back on his own speech, that would be pointless to his task. Those before him were of the Qian or allied, ironic that the ones who name him 'traitor' where the ones Torasin wanted to protect the most. He needed this power. Not a power to harm or hurt, a power to heal those he loved. Taking in a breath, Torasin finally managed to speak. "My reason is simple. Yes I do seek power, but not the kind you're thinking. I was once a healer and I want to be that again, to the Qian. The only one who can grant me this power is the Sun God... If I must betray my friends in order to save them, then I will. I must do as he tells me to." The steed kept his voice firm but his eyes betrayed him, there was a hurt there. He didn't want to be a traitor in their eyes, he loved each and every one of them. He wanted to deny every statement they had thrown at him, but he must complete this task first.

Hidden Account
Nogard
Query at first was a bit startled when Solstice all of a sudden just popped up, seemingly out of nowhere. She must've been too distracted by that little cutie of a dragon.

Then the anger came, not from Query of course, but from Solstice. She was greatly upset with Torasin for trying to preach praise of the Sun God. She didn't even seem to wait to try to even let him explain himself.

One thing did really ring out in all those accusations though. What would Mirage think? This name was familiar to Query, she just couldn't place it at first. Then she thought back. That's it, Mirage was among those that had welcomed Query at the threshold.

By now Query was completely confused and then up popped this mare as black as a night except for the mane, and the crescent mark on her rump. She too had started off with the accusations. At his point Query was starting to feel sympathy for Torasin. These mares showing up out of the blue and throwing accusations at him. She almost wanted to jump in front of Torasin and tell these mares to chill out and let him explain himself but then she thought better. It wasn't really her place to try to calm them down, they surely had good reasons for what they were doing.

And just what was that thing on this moon marked mare's back? Query didn't have time to wonder about this new creature too much though, sadly. She was busy trying to keep up with all that was going on.

Then finally they calmed down enough to let Torasin try to explain himself. The poor guy looked like he was about to break down when these mares were battering the accusations at him. But he stood firm, resolute in that what he was doing was right.

Then he finally spoke. He mentioned the Qian again just like that black mare had. She wondered just what these "Qian" were. But again, the thought didn't last too long in this environment.

She tried to think of something to say but nothing came to her mind that was fitting in this situation so she just decided that maybe this time it would be best to just remain silent and take a step back.

Deceased
Emily
Solstice's fury was nothing compared to Rishima's wrath. The ebon mare's voice came from behind her, and only moments later the fem with the cresent moon marking stepped from the shadows. Hazel eyes narrowed as she moved past her, watching. Mad she may be at him, but he had still been a friend.... Then again, friends do backstab each other. The dual colored fem merely listened in as Rhisima spoke again. The more the mare talked the more Solstice liked her. The Qian was allies... and if her son had his way, family.. Now here stood Tor.. trying to spread the 'greatness' of the God of the Sun. Some great god he was. As she stopped and drew herself up so did Solstice. As a warrior of this herd, that lived on the lands protected by the God of the Earth, she too took a posture that demanded an answer. An answer that better be good.

It was only when Query shifted did Solstice remember the mare was there. It seemed she had taken the invitation to live here at last and was one of the herd.. Another friend to protect. Hazel eyes looked to her in apology. Maybe later on, she would speak with Query about the Qian... After all many members of the Foothills were members or allies to the Qian as well. She would need to know, but now was not the time as Tor was beginning to speak. Her gaze softened as he spoke of being a healer... As he had been the healer who replaced Smoke when she took the lead from Ricochet.. He was right however... The only one who could grant such a power would be that damn ego maniac the God of the Sun. If he was doing so to help the Qian... Well she could forgive him. However her hazel eyes looked to Rishima to see what she would say.

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks
His dragon's rise is met with Kali's shrill screams; although much smaller than the older companion, she shows no sign of fear, scrambling up my nape and spreading her pale wings wide, talons slashing at the air as she attempts to rise onto her hind legs. Sadly, any awareness of the consequences her actions may have on others is still too complex for her young mind, and I wince as she grips my mane with ferocious claws, stabilizing herself against my head as she continues her onslaught. Her furious cries pierce my ears, painfully intense; I wince against her chattering, willing her to hush. We're fine, it's fine, I run on repeat through my mind, even as I resist the urge to flinch against the movement of dragon wings. There was a time when I would have criticized Torasin for 'hiding' behind his bonded, but now I could understand all too well the stubborn tenacity of companions.

Kali finally relaxes in her protective stance, although her blue eyes still glare at the brown, long ears flat against her avian skull in obvious disapproval. With a low growl she retreats, leaping gracefully from my shoulders, ivory tail held high in the air as though to say, you know what? I'm done with all of you and your foolishness. She pads away through the grass, wandering towards the poor child who must be incredibly confused by our drama; I can feel Kali's interest in the stranger, and watch from the corner of my eye as she rises onto her hind legs and coos at the pale mare, tilting her head in interest. Surprisingly, I immediately miss the support of my tiny gryphon... but I am glad that she is safely out of harm's way.

Meanwhile, Torasin has begun his justification, and I turn my attention back to him, heart growing harder as I leave thoughts of Kali behind. The raging fury that the idea of his betrayal had stoked cooled into a frosty prairie, a delicate vale of icy ridges and deep crevasses that beckoned threateningly, daring him to attempt a cross without sinking to his doom. There was little room for error, less for lies; I stare at him intently, dark eyes scanning his face as he explains his reasoning. And... what? Disbelief edged into my mind, a strange sense of incredulity that is tinted with blank amusement. I glance at Solstice, willing the painted damsel to back up my surprise, but she seemed understanding, even supportive of Torasin's reasoning.

Confusion dances across my brow.

"Really?" I question, dark and accented tones seeking for some piece of reason in this puzzle. There is genuine curiosity in my tones, sincere wonder at the staunch confidence in the Sun's superior ability. "The Sun alone can grant healing power? What of the earth, of plants that purge and soothe ailments? What of the strength of water? I have seen many types of healing that do not involve light; is Helovian magic truly so exclusive?" It puzzles me, this inability to look for other options, this belief in one path and one alone. And, in truth, I still knew little of the properties magic held in Helovia. Every land seems to be different, to obey certain rules. I would have to ask the Lady for further enlightenment on this matter.

But I had fallen off subject, had become distracted by my ever present thirst for knowledge. Shaking my head, I turned back to Torasin, pale mane hanging lazily against my eyes. For a long moment I examine him, contemplating his words. He has chosen this path for the Qian, he says, and how can I fault him in his desire to help those he loves? Was there any limit to what I would do for my family, the lengths I would go to? And yet, to preach of a tyrant's greatness, to firmly proclaim that the 'glorious sun' had reached out his purging light, as though the lands scarred by flame had deserved to be so marked? I had seen the Edge as it burned, watched as lives were shattered and innocents flayed with livid fire. No, I could not preach of the greatness in these actions. I have made my judgement. I shake my head, gazing at Torasin with sorrow in my eyes.

"Your cause is noble, but your methods are not." I sigh softly. Perhaps I have simply lived too long, seen to much to be tolerant of bigotry and tyranny, to be able to deceive myself and lie. "I take no issue with your seeking the Sun's help, Torasin, and I know Mirage would not either, but I simply cannot believe that spreading these... this filth is the only way you can achieve your goals. Perhaps, had you seen the destruction in the Edge, you would comprehend just how cruel your support is. Even we did not escape unscathed; he took his fury out on Mirage, my brothers, and myself, when all we did was attempt to calm the situation." The sharp pain of flames licking at our hocks remained a distinct feeling, and although I had escaped with the least damage, even I had not been untouched.

Deceased
imi
Torasin waited anxiously, green eyes first turning to Query. The poor mare seemed a little lost in the fray and the steed felt his heart lurch in sympathy. It wasn't the most comfortable situation to be in when you were caught in the middle of an argument you knew nothing about. Kiba still hovered in a protective stance in front of Torasin, a low noise of disapproval murmuring under his breath whilst his brown scaly tail flicked in the air. The former healer turned next to Solstice, another mare whose friendship he valued dearly and hoped he hadn't lost this day. She had listened to his speech with no interruptions and now his fellow paint stood silent. Torasin wondered what she thought of him now? Did Solstice think he was a traitor now too? Her silence gave him a little hope that he had changed her mind.

It was Rishima, however, who was the one who remained unconvinced. She mentioned the Earth God and the Worlds Edge, clearly his reasoning hadn't won her over and Torasin gritted his teeth. Although the moon stamped femme had more bite in her than Mirage, Torasin wished not to be her enemy. Not now or ever. The task that had been set was not one the tobiano would of chosen nor did he like it, but if it saved lives then Torasin would go to any length to attain it. Drawing in a breath the paint first addressed his bonded. "Kiba, relax boy. I am in no danger here." He pressed a sooty velvet nose to his bonded's rough scales.

Turning back to Rishima he considered his next words carefully before responding. "I went to the Sun because it is healing with fire and considering recent events he seemed the most logical choice. Maybe with the knowledge you have given me, in hindsight the Earth may of been better, but I am not as well versed in the law of Gods here as you are. I... Don't like these words I speak either and as for the Worlds Edge..." Torasin winced as he remembered the ashen brute and fearsome appaloosa, the pain as the former's horn ripped into his thigh.

"I am sorry for their plight but-" he motioned to the slowly healing scar shaped like an 'S'. "I think I got what I deserved." However one part of Rishima's statement worried him greatly. Had the Sun harmed Mirage? He felt his teeth grit even harder at the thought but calmed himself as he thought of the willfull mare. I think I would of known if something bad would of happened.

He looked at the obsidian femme with an apology in his eyes. If you hate me I won't blame you... But at least I will be able to protect you all better. With that thought Torasin remained silent. There was only one more thing he could say.

"I'm sorry for offending any of you. Rishima... Solstice... Query."

Hidden Account
Nogard
Query continued to watch as the brown dragon hissed and snarled his protest at the moon marked mare. And then the little avian cat met the brown's protests with shrilling protest of her own. Query folded her ears back to try to block out all the high pitched protests.

Then following the little ones' screams of protest came Rishi's. The moon mare was tearing poor Torasin a new one and Query only understood about half of it. There was lots of talks of these 'gods'. Query assumed that it was these 'gods' that granted the magic in these lands. She made a mental note to try to ask Torasin more about it later, at a time that wasn't quite so dramatic and then Torasin would have a clearer state of mind and not have to worry about saying the wrong things.

Poor Torasin was just shifting around like a nervous wreck. Query was surprised that she herself wasn't completely nervous. Then again, the creamy paint was nervous enough for all of them.

Though, Query had to admit that Rishi made one good point. Why was he going around preaching how 'great' this 'Sun God' when it was clear that this so called 'god' was nothing more than an overbearing tyrant, trying to throw his weight around.

Then Torasin apologized to all of them after pointing out the "s" on his rear.

"Torasin, it's ok, you were only doing what you felt you had to do to get your magic. Even if you didn't approve of what you did, you still felt that it was the only way, and I'm not upset with you myself. In fact, I think I'm even a bit proud of you, for goin' against your beliefs so you can get the magic to try to help people further down the line."

Deceased
Emily
When Rhisima spoke again, this time Solstice did not agree. Sure the God of the Sun was horrid... But those from Isilme turned to the ones who governed the power of light for healing magic. This time she did speak up, turning, slipping her frame closer to Tor before speaking "Those of us from Isilme, were taught to always seek those over the powers of light. None of us would think of earth and water first. Torasin meant well, and we all do crazy things to protect those we love....." Hazel eyes closed thinking of those who had died making the ultimate crazy choice to stand and fight to the death against the shades so the rest could flee. The 'S' on the stallion's hide made it clear he had not gotten a warm welcome in the World's Edge either.

Hazel eyes looked to Rhisima as Tor asked for forgiveness. Solstice looked to the one painted very similar to herself and spoke softly "We both have much to learn, about the powers here in Helovia.... Much has changed.... But you were only doing what is best for the Qian and your friends.. There is nothing for me to forgive, I only hope you do not have to use your soon to be new found power anytime soon." Now she waited for Rhisima to speak.