the Rift

To Die For [[Alleo || Open to Foothills]]

Guinevere Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Action | "Speech" | Thought

The afternoon had been peaceful until a dapple grey pegasus crashed into it. The mare had glided her way over the canopy of trees until she found a stream and she folded her wings to land only for her legs to give way and for her to fall and roll onto her back with the remainder of her momentum. Coughing, she struggled to stand and make her way to the stream. She shook the dust from her coat and bent to drink from the cool water. She kept her wings unfolded so that she wouldn't sweat any more than she was already. When she lifted her head, she studied her surroundings.

She thought maybe she was in the unicorn forests, but then she remembered that she had left her homeland far behind. She wondered where her friend was. Hopefully she would have gotten away from the wolves as she had. She snorted and looked up at the blue sky between the branches of the trees. She let out a deep breath that sounded more like a wheeze and shook her mane, letting her breath return to her. Now that she had time to process where she was, she could smell several horse scents in the area. She didn't know who they belonged to- none of them were familiar. She was torn between asking for assistance so that she could get some answers, and shying away from social interaction.

Eventually, she decided to swallow her pride long enough to at least find out where she was, and so she flapped her wings to gain altitude and glided between the trunks of trees. Below the canopy, there was enough space for her to glide over the ground and she could be flying and be close to the ground at the same time. More time passed and she came across the fresh scent of a near-by stranger. She lighted upon the ground at a trot and slowed to a stop quickly in order to call attention to herself. The recent excursions of flying caused her to wheeze again and she had to catch her breath a second time before she could speak.

"Hello? Who's there?"

@[Alleo], played by Ali
open?
Here you are, hun. :D

Alleo Posts: 115
Hidden Account atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17.3 :: 12 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
ali
i'm the wind in your hair that ruffles you up</style>

His steps were slow, plodding almost, as he moved through the forest that served as a nesting ground for newcomers. Alleo was not one for frequenting the place and bringing individuals back to the Foothills, but with their ever dwindling numbers the stallion had decided that he could not allow others to do the work alone. Rather than observe what was happening and patrolling he should pull his weight when it came to increasing the herd's numbers. This alone, was the only reason he had gone back to the forest after finding Cheyenne and bringing her home; a decision he sometimes regretted when the mare practiced verbal insults at his expense.

"Hello? Who's there?"

Alleo's slow steps halted, his head raised, and bis bi-colored eyes scanned the forest as he searched for the keeper of the voice he had heard. When he saw nothing his head raised further and he scented the air. Mare. Newcomer. Pegasus. He snorted then, so she would hear him and he continued his movements, following her scent until he could hear her heavy breathing. Had she been running from something? The stallion scented the air again and caught no scent of any recent predators.

"Alleo, Warrior of the Windtossed Foothills." He finally called out in answer to the mare's earlier question. Alleo continued on his path until he saw her standing there, sweaty and windtossed. He halted and gazed at her, sizing her up in his mind and also searching for any injury that would require medical attention upon entering the Foothills. "Who are you?"

ooc:// -slinks-
Image Credits

Unregistered

The mare was immensely grateful that the stallion who answered her call looked nothing like any of the horses she had known in her short, yet tragic, life. She didn't need another reminder of the foal she had lost, or any of the events that had led to that moment of heartbreak. Her entire world had been ruined by a single stallion making the wrong choice at the wrong time. She took a deep breath and stood up straight, carrying her own weight as she caught her breath back.

She forced these horrible memories to the back of her mind and gazed at the stallion as he emerged and introduced himself as a warrior. She snorted in amusement. "I have seen many warriors before. You, sir, are no warrior." What he said intrigued her even with her barbed comment. "Perhaps this land has lax standards, or perhaps they don't need powerful warriors... It would be nice to finally have some peace..." She nickered, half to herself.

"Nevertheless, I am called Guinevere. What is this place?" She watched the stallion closely, her wings folding tightly to her sides as she blinked her sapphire eyes at him. He seemed to be sizing her up, and as she watched his gaze rove over her form, she thought she saw a twinge of worry there too. The winged femme did not know what he was looking for, but she wouldn't stand for being looked down upon by a stranger. Especially not when he seemed to be searching for faults. She wasn't going to give up her secrets so easily.

She glared at the wingless stranger and snorted, pawing the ground with a hoof and lowering her head threateningly. "... what are you looking at?"

@[Alleo], played by Ali
Here you are, hun. :D

ali
i'm the wind in your hair that ruffles you up</style>

More and more Alleo was coming to resent Helovia's Threshold and the rude individuals that crossed it and demanded a home. He never would have acted the way Cheyenne or this new mare had should a stranger have found him instead of his sisters. Alleo was normally polite and well mannered, but the pegasus mare was already ruffling his proverbial feathers. "With all due respect, girl." He said as he looked at her, clearly unimpressed by her attempt to put him in his place (he supposed that was what it was). "I don't care what your fantasy of a warrior is." Did he not have the scars to prove that he was a fighter? Did he not have the muscle on his frame that spoke of his training? "If you come here to insult then I suggest you turn your tail around right now and go back the way you came. There are others that are far less tolerant of stupidity than I."

It was at that point that he let her comment roll off of his back. This would be the last time he went to the Threshold. Every time he came he was met with one bitchy mare or another and he was over it.

She introduced herself and asked where she was, which was the norm for any roving horse. "Helovia." He answered shortly only to be caught with another question. "You." Came the simple answer, when he could have been as rude to her as she had been to him previously. "Your breathing is heavy and raspy and there are no predators nearby that I can smell. And you don't carry the scent of a predator on yourself." His blue and green eyes narrowed on the mare and his tail twitched as he watched her. "Where do you come from?"

"."
ooc:// -slinks-
Image Credits

Unregistered

His hostility surprised her, but she guessed it was to be expected. She hadn't meant to insult, but she supposed it was easy to come to that conclusion with the way she had worded her statement. Her tail swished against her hocks, dissuading a fly from landing on her rump. She flattened an ear against her skull and pricked the other one towards him. She was irritated by his response, but she was curious enough to listen to him. The dappled femme looked away, her eyes rolling as he told her to go home.

"I would love to, but I can't. I don't know the way." She nickered, her neck turned to look at him again when more words spilled out of his mouth. She blinked as she registered what he was saying and her eyes widened. Was it really that easy to tell? She'd hoped to live here on a clean slate, not have people immediately guessing there was something wrong with her. As both her ears flattened against her skull, she whipped her tail against her hocks and glared at him.

"There's nothing wrong with me, and there aren't any predators around. I would know because I've been gliding through the trees all day. Now if you want to keep your testicles I would suggest dropping the subject." The harshness in her tone was completely undermined when her whinny turned into a croupy fit of coughs. These coughs were not regular coughs. These coughs were wet with phlegm and powerful enough to shake her entire frame. Her stance deteriorated the longer they gripped her and when they finally faded, she was panting for breath again and had fallen to her knees.

"Hah.... hah... damn it... I... I... I have to go. You wouldn't want a weak thing like me in your herd, I'm sick and there isn't a cure." Sniffling, she turned away as though she were ready to leave. She hated this disease. She hated how it dominated her life. She couldn't even pretend to not be sick because it always, always, ALWAYS undermined her act. No one wanted her. She'd been kicked out of her herd for catching it, had lost a foal because of it, and now that she had been forced to expose it's existence to this stranger, she already knew that she would be cast out. No one wanted what she had, and she didn't blame them. She wouldn't blame him if he turned and ran as fast as he could away from her and the plague that was infesting her blood.

@[Alleo], played by Ali
Ugh! Sorry that took so long.
Also, Gwen gives up too easily. She started coughing and after that she was like -ragequitsonlife-

ali
alleo</style>
Below my soul
I feel an engine
Collapsing as it sees the pain
If I could only shut it out...
</style>

The widening of the mare's eyes told Alleo all he needed to know without him having to ask any questions of her. There was something off about her, though at this point he didn't know what it was. Perhaps she just needed a healer because she had a cold or something of the sort. If that were the case he felt obligated to bring her to his sister so she could work her healing magic on the mare. The only thing that worried him was that Lakota was far less tolerant of rudeness than he was and might do something to harm her rather than heal her, not that it would be completely undeserving.

He sighed and rolled his eyes, though, when the mare threatened to geld him. She looked as though she could barely keep herself upright, yet she thought she could harm him? Despite the threat he couldn't help the chuckle that slipped past his lips. The chuckle stopped and the grin that had plastered itself on his face when she began to cough and splutter and struggle for breath.

"Hah.... hah... damn it... I... I... I have to go. You wouldn't want a weak thing like me in your herd, I'm sick and there isn't a cure."

"And where would you go?" He asked. "Into the woods to die?" Alleo snorted and shook his head at the stupid decision he felt the mare would make. "Come with me, my sister is a healer. She may not be able to cure you, but she can help." His tone of voice left little room for the mare to argue and if she did she would have to argue with his backside because he had already turned and was walking back toward the Foothills.

"."

Credits

Unregistered

And where would you go? Into the woods to die?

His questions irritated her. She had told him to leave her alone. She would not be tricked a second time by his false concern. She would have liked to kick him if she'd had the energy for it. She didn't need or want anyone's pity, especially not from a stranger. Still, her wheezing would not allow her to react to the stallion. At least not until he spoke a second time.

Come with me, my sister is a healer. She may not be able to cure you, but she can help.

Her unsteady stride ground to a halt and she turned her head to look at him from around her hips and the bulk of her folded wings. For a fleeting moment, it seemed like her blue eyes were softening a little. The hostility had melted, anyways. A single dusted, dainty ear flicked to point towards him, however when her eyes focused on him, he was walking away. She had been about to accept the offer of help, because even though she was a proud mare, she would not refuse help when it was offered. She could recognize when it was wise to accept charity, even if such a thing grated on her pride.

Seeing him walk away from her, she got the feeling that he was tired of putting up with her personality already. Thinking fast, Gwen turned and flapping her wings once, she lifted off the ground enough to catch a small breeze. Like a butterfly on the breath of a wind, she glided over to his side and lighted on the ground beside him softly. "You are a fool, i hope you know that." She said, her tone had lost it's defensive, abrasive edge, and now she only sounded weary. She sniffled a little and turned her head away to cough again, but this time it wasn't a string of them.

The pair would walk in silence for a while, or so they would on Gwen's half. The mare was concentrating too hard on not falling over to be much use in a conversation. She would hold her tongue until she could not go farther without a break and leaned against a tree trunk to ease the weight off her shaky legs. That terrified running had done a real number on her bodily health, considering that the disease was likely to act up as it was now, when her body was too exhausted from running away from danger to fight off the sickness. When she leaned against the trunk, she nickered at him wordlessly to let him know that she was stopping. The necklace she wore rattled against her chest with every movement she made, and she was so used to it's presence on her neck that she no longer was aware of it hanging there.

Gwen took a moment to catch her breath and then heaved herself onto her hooves again. "I hope your sister knows this disease. She'll have her work cut out for her otherwise." She said, her hostility from before all but forgotten. Whether that was because she was too tired to be spiteful, or because she was glad of the help, no one would know. Although personally, my moneys not on the latter.

Gwen tried her hardest to keep up with Alleo. Despite her disability, she was too spirited to give up, and the promise of medical attention had brought a spark of hope to the mare. Maybe this land had magic that her own lacked. She knew that if life handed you lemons you were supposed to make lemonade, however, her life had handed her a sack of rotten lemons. She didn't even know what to do with them, except for to hope that she could get rid of them somehow.

After another long moment of silence from Gwen, the mare turned her head to the stallion who had deigned to put up with her attitude and offer her help. "I was forced to carry this disease. It acts up when I spend my strength so that I can't fight it away. It's transmitted through bodily fluids- saliva, blood... and um... more personal fluids... if you catch my drift." She flicked her tail, embarrassed and nervous at the same time. as she spoke about it, she found she could not meet his gaze. "I get winded easily with the slightest physical activity. I was travelling with a friend and we were separated when we were set upon by wolves. She ran for it in a panic and left me in a cloud of dust, since I couldn't run as fast. I only got away because I jumped off a cliff and glided all the way to this place... I landed and when I started looking for someone to tell me where I was, I met you."

She had the air of one who was not telling him the whole story. Still, she thought he wasn't close enough to her for her to trust him with anything more than the basic idea. She wouldn't put it past him to press her for details, that's how stallions were- nosy, over-confidant, control freaks. Or so that's how all the stallions she'd ever known were. If he did, though, he was likely to get hurt. She didn't know yet how things worked in this new land, but she was raised not to take shit from anyone, and she wasn't about to start now.

@[Alleo], played by Ali
Ugh! Sorry that took so long.

ali
alleo</style>
Below my soul
I feel an engine
Collapsing as it sees the pain
If I could only shut it out...
</style>

Alleo was quiet as he walked back toward the Foothills, his ears rotating as he listened to the sounds around them that would be the telltale signs of danger. The mare, it was beginning to seem, was almost like every other mare he'd met since he'd come to Helovia. While she didn't find it necessary to fill every silence with her voice she did think it necessary to sling insults at him when she did break the silence. Her insults, however, were greeted with little to no response from the stallion. He would simply snort in response or tilt an ear toward her, but not once did he actually look back and show any sort of outward interest.

The stallion took a meandering path through the woods, consciously avoiding any terrain that he thought might be too difficult for the mare to traverse with her illness. Whether or not she realized what he was doing he didn't care. He did suspect that she would figure it out and insist that she was strong enough to take a more direct path even if she knew better. He flicked his tail as he continued to walk, seemingly lost in thought and ignoring the sick mare that he was leading home. He just hoped it wasn't a mistake that would end up getting the entire herd deathly ill. He'd leave that call up to Lakota.

Once more the mare began to speak and at first Alleo assumed it would be another request to stop and rest, but for whatever reason she spoke of her illness. It didn't take a genius to figure out what she meant by contracting it through 'personal bodily fluids' or being 'forced' to carry the illness. It made him stop and he looked back over his shoulder at her, mismatched eyes locking on her face as he spoke. It was stallions like the one who wronged her that gave them all bad names and it was stallions like that who deserved to be gelded. His ears lay back against his head until they nearly disappeared in the darkness of his mane.

"You won't have to worry about that in the Foothills." He said when she had finished outlining her tale. He wouldn't press her for details because if she was anything like him she wouldn't share with someone who was a complete stranger, though she had already shared more than enough. "We have morals." Again, he turned away from her and began his trek home once more.

Credits

Unregistered

She had expected him to press her, had almost prepared herself to lash out at him in retaliation. The lack of pressure surprised her, and she ground to a halt again, her eyes staring at him intently. She looked almost comically confused, but soon shook the surprise off and began to walk again, this time having a better time of keeping up. The rest and being able to catch her breath had strengthened her once more and she walked confidently alongside him.

There was nothing that would erase the image of her coughing weakness from either of their minds- especially since first impressions were hard to erase in any situation. Still, she was like a new horse as she moved to a light trot and passed him. She had of course noticed that they were taking the long route- seeing that they were going in a northerly direction. She looked towards him and cleared her throat. No doubt he was waiting for her to object to this treatment of her, however she did not. She appreciated the gesture for it's own sake however unnecessary it was.

"If you like, we can go straight north. Winding around like this is going to take us forever. I can just glide over the rough patches." She unfolded her wings and twiddled the tips with a small smirk tugging at her mouth as she looked at him. In reality, gliding like a butterfly was less energy-consuming than walking was and she was predisposed to flying- being more comfortable in the air than on the ground. Flapping once or twice, she managed to gain altitude and continued to flap her wings to remain airborne.

Waiting for his answer, she gained a bit more altitude and lighted upon a thick branch, using her wings to stop her weight from overloading the branch and preventing it from breaking beneath her. The necklace about her neck rattled with the movement and gleamed in the dappled light of the sun through the canopy of the forest. if she was flying, she could maneuver around the trees and skip the rough terrain altogether. Perhaps she could even impress him with her aerial prowess. Without waiting too long for an answer, she turned and flapped her wings once to catch a breeze and glide atop it, shifting and flapping to change direction and avoid colliding into trees. She thought she was rather dexterous with her flight and she was spot-on.

The feeling of flight was a wonderful feeling- a feeling that she could do anything, she ruled the skies and no one could knock her out of her element. Even with her specific handicaps, she managed to pull off some impressive dodging techniques and she was soon at risk of leaving her companion behind. She lighted upon the ground a few times to wait on him, or else check up on him. She may not be very strong or capable of great speeds on the ground, but she was quite a strong flier.

@[Alleo], played by Ali
Sorry again for taking so long! ;3;