the Rift

Winged Wraith

Couth Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
OOC: I'm baaaaack! :D

[dohtml]
Higher and higher she flew, leaving behind the dark, wooded copse where she had spent the last segment of her life. Further and further away she drew from that woodland where the heady scent of pine needles and moss had found themselves entangled in her coat and mane, but now she found herself high above, where the air was clear and thin, and higher still she flew so that the nimble, agile pegasus could cut through the air with as much speed as possible. Through the cool, moist layers of clouds she rose until she had to flare her nostrils to get enough air. Here she felt at home, and for the first time in what seemed like an eternity, she felt as though she'd found herself again. She pushed herself to the limit, striving for as much speed as she could possibly achieve above the clouds.

She knew that no matter how fast she went, she wouldn't be able to erase the time she'd spent away from what had become her home. She knew she couldn't turn back time and escape the dark hypnosis which had held her prisoner. She couldn't remember how long she'd been gone- but it felt like years. In fact, she was fairly sure that it was years that had passed...And this fuelled her guilt and shame, and made her all the ore anxious to return to the dark forest where she'd met Mirage, Madyrn, Maskan...Providing, of course, that they were still there. She prayed and hoped as she flew, that the trio would still be alive and well, and that she would find them...And find them as welcoming as they had been before.

Day after day she had reviewed, in her memory, the way back to Helovia. Now, having the chance to finally return, she found her memories even more vivid than ever, spurred on by the necessity to find her way back to her homeland. In her mind's eye she could already see the sleek, dark pelt of her three friends, the fire in Madyrn's eyes, the sheen of Akaith's scales. Knowing her friend's dragon companion could glean insight into the minds of others, she sent out wave after wave of desperate calls within her mind, begging and pleading for them to be there- for them to find her. She was coming back- and she needed them to be there. Having been deprived of their company for so long, she felt all the more desperate to find them again. "I'm coming, Akaith! Please tell them!" She screamed inside her mind, as she began to descend through the clouds.

She was extremely dizzy and exhausted by the time she reached the ground, and could barely stay on her feet. She could take no steps, and in order to keep herself standing she locked her knees, as though to sleep. Her head hung low and her mouth fell open as she gasped for air. She'd pushed herself too hard, in such thin air- but each gasp brought back life, as it tasted sweet and thick now that she was back on the ground. Her vision was blurred, but there, in the forest, she didn't need to see. All of her energy was focused on calling out with her mind, desperately begging for the beautiful dragon to hear her call and bring the beautiful, shadowy mare to her, so she could once again look upon her friend.

[/dohtml]

Amaris Posts: 299
World's Edge Philosopher atk: 5.5 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16h :: 4 years HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Dramyrth :: Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Frost Breath Whit
My uncles spoke of a damsel once, one whom they missed very much, and still do. They spoke of a maiden whom they would dance with, one who moved with all the elegance of moonlight itself. I would listen to their tales whenever they deigned to tell them, for my uncles were not inclined to speak without purpose. Mother spoke of her also, of the girl who was among the first to call themselves Qian by her side.

"But what happened to her, mother?"

"I do not know." With sadness she would always reply. "We prepared to take the Edge for ourselves, and she was nowhere to be seen. It was not like her to leave without a word.. I do fear that she was taken from us by those who would call themselves our enemies."

It was a sad story, one that I often wondered at the truth of. As I helped my mother build the wall alongside my uncles and sister and many other members of the herd, I found myself prone to wandering. I loved our home, truly I did, but I was the daughter of a mare who had wandered for most of her life, it was little wonder that the exploration bug had infected my veins, that I was more often then not found beyond the borders of our home. Akaith travelled with me sometimes, her presence a comfort to me even as I sang a quiet song to summon the soul lights of Nyth and Samineuth to my side. They rejoiced in their flight alongside the golden Akaith, Sam in particular glowing with a proud gleam, as if to impress the little queen.

I had to laugh at the antics of my beloved soul friends, though I did miss the strange dark, shadowy light of Daryth. Nyth comforted me, her quiet voice sounding patiently in my mind, murmuring sweet nothings that at least allowed my mind to focus on things other than the absence of my friend.

A shrill song sounded above, one of alarm and yet strangely enthusiastic. Akaith danced and whirled in the skies with Sam and Nyth, and within moments I was informed of what had excited her so. A friend, a friend! Nyth's voice sounded in my mind, as she grasped from Akaith the cause of the excitement. With quick steps I moved into a smooth canter, soon opening the folds of my leathery wings in a clearing of the Thistle Meadow, to take to the skies, and join the dragons on their journey to the Threshold. Akaith led us there, and behind me I could hear the deep, resonant bellowing of my mother's own draconic call, a joyous encouragement to me and my dragon kin.

I had not been to the Threshold before, at least, not on the ground. I had flown over it enough times to know its lay, but truly I hadn't ever had reason to meet new souls crossing into our lands before, nor had I any desire to place myself in unnecessary danger - though I had natural armour in the scales upon my hide, I was still only a fledgling that had just learned to use her wings.

I followed the golden beacon that was my mother's dragon, who had already descended from the heavens to greet a pale mistress with wings not dissimilar to my own. I sung to her, a sound part equine and part dragon, just like the blood that flowed through my veins. I landed, daintily upon slender legs, my elongated tail whipping to and fro with the action - the scythe upon my tail may have shorn the tops off some of the taller grass. My expression is guarded, though there is a softness to my brow that is reminiscent of both my parents. My frame is tall, not yet taller then my mother or father, but with the promise to reach and exceed. A careful smile curves my lips as I peer at this mare, my tiara tilted as I observed Akaith so enthusiastically chortling about her.

"Hello," I speak, my voice clinging to a lingering accent that I had subconsciously copied from my mother's lips. "I am Amaris," it was only Akaith's presence, alongside that of the two other glowing spirit lights nearby, that gave me such comfort, such motivation to proffer my calling. "Who are you?" It was the epitome of my curiosity pushing me to query the mare with such forward words - I felt that this was the maiden of moonlight my uncles spoke of, the creature of loyalty my mother remembered and yearned for. I hoped I was right.
background pattern by Patrick Hoesly @ flickr.com
No need to mirror my post length - I have a horrible case of the rambly writer syndrome!
I like being tagged!
You are always welcome to 'try' and use force/magic on Amaris, but similar to spar posts, leave it to me to decide how the damage is taken please~

Unregistered
While she could not hear words from Akaith's mind, something told her that the winged dragon had heard her. It hadn't even occurred to Couth to call out- part of her knew that if she had, she might have attracted the attention of an equine she did not intend to meet. Right now, she was desperate only to find Mirage and the other members of the Qian, to find the two gentle giants who had welcomed her and danced with her, to find the family she had left behind. Couth was a perfectly sociable mare but for now she had no intentions of meeting anyone save for a member of the Qian, and thus she remained quiet though in truth had she tried to call out, her voice would have been weak and scratchy; her throat was parched from having drank the thin air of the atmosphere and her breath still came in desperate heaves. Her head hung and her withers and flanks glistened with sweat, enhancing her silver gleam.

A flicker, something metallic in colour, caught her eyes and suddenly her breath was forgotten, as was her tiredness. There, above the treeline, the wings of a dragon caught her attention. [i]Akaith!/i] She called out with her mind, this time accompanying the welcome call with a surprised whinny. It only took her a moment to recognize the magnificent creature and her heart thrummed as though it wished to sing. With Akaith were two other dragons, and she felt joy rise into her heart. She called out with a gleeful whinny- this was a sign that the Qian were strong. Three dragons surely meant that Mirage was alive and well- so she searched the sky for the black wraith as well.

But the familiar form would not show herself. Instead, a beautiful filly accompanied the dragons on wings and in the light her coat seemed to possess a sheen that was somewhat like that of molten copper. Her coat was that of a sunny champagne, and she caught the glint of sunlight on draconian scales along the bridge of a noble face and along strong withers and haunches. Her build spoke directly of her lineage- and in this, as well as the silver marking upon her face, Couth recognized this filly as one belonging to Mirage. There was no doubting it; she was muscular, but had the fine features of an Arab. Like her mother, she possessed both strength and beauty, and even in her youth there was a fine promise of exquisite decadence about her that Couth knew would attract many a suitor.

She reared into her hind limbs as the dragons surrounded her, and she lifted her nose to graze it against Akaith's cheek as the dragon flew past. The other two were new to Couth, and very unique. One was green and had a sage, wise look about her. She seemed mature and welcoming toward Couth, and the mare expressed her gratitude by puffing a breath of warm air to the air beneath the dragon's belly as she passed overhead. The other was a bold, brown dragon, whose movements were quick and while he did not have the easy grace of Akaith or the green dragon, there was a fierceness and fleetness about him which Couth admired. She snorted proudly, impressed by his agility as he winged beneath her neck and then over her head. But of the three, the most welcomed to Couth's sight was Akaith, to whom Couth bowed her head, grateful that the dragon had heard her plea.

The voice of the mare was what could easily have been imagined as a young Mirage's voice. A soft lilt was possessed, making her all the more charming and alluring. As enchanted as Couth had been with the filly's mother, she now found herself drawn as well, as a kindred spirit, to this, who must surely be her daughter. She bowed her head respectfully to Amaris, and could feel Akaith's warm gaze upon her. No doubt, the dragon would be proud of the young filly as well. "I am honoured to meet you, Amaris,"[b] She said. [b]"As well as your companions." She knew she did not need to speak directly to them to tell them how happy she was to meet them. This joy beamed from every fibre of her being. "My name is Couth," She said, and felt her voice tremble. "I lived here before, as a member of the Qian; your mother, Mirage, was a sister to me." She said, and suddenly felt filled with shame. It had been so long..."I was taken from these lands. Please- I need to speak to Mirage, to Madyrn and Maskan," She said, feeling her heart ache for the time she had lost. Thuogh Akaith was present, heralding the health and wellbeing of Mirage, there was no way to tell if Madyrn and Maskan were still present, or in good health. Her breath hitched and she cast a quick glance to Akaith, before looking back to the resplendent young mare, hoping dearly that she would not be forbidden an audience with those she proposed to see.

Amaris Posts: 299
World's Edge Philosopher atk: 5.5 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16h :: 4 years HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Dramyrth :: Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Frost Breath Whit
The ease with which she interacted with Akaith, I knew instantly that this was a friend, lost to the currents of time and space. A distant sort of smile touched my maw as I watched the way the golden purred and crooned as she greeted the mare, all forgiveness and welcome. It set my heart at ease, for through Akaith, I knew mother was watching, and accepting - this meant that I did too. This mare was family, and I knew this now, even before her harmonic tones touched the curved contours of my svelte ears, even before she recognised me as the DragonHeart's daughter. I felt myself drawn closer to her already, my curiosity and sheer feelings of rightness overwhelming.

I was surprised when she spoke of honour - why was it an honour to meet me? I was a daughter of the DragonHeart, certainly, but I had made no special achievements of my own, I had not made my mark upon this earth - not yet, at any rate. I did not refute the words, but rather accepted them quietly, storing this incident away in my mind to reconsider at a later date. Would I forever be held on high for the accomplishments and deeds of my mother? I was lazy next to her, nothing more than a child learning the ropes of the world, no greater or weaker than any other girl learning how to fly.

"You are the one who danced with my uncles." I said quietly, my voice a low murmur, a whisper that would be easily heard by the ears it was meant for. The words were accompanied by a smile that grew warmer with each breath that passed, as I drew nearer to this belle, I found myself reaching out with a scaled muzzle to press it again the hide that was not so dissimilar to my own, though my mane and tail were a deep caramel in hue, and hers a pale silk.

"They will be glad to see you again. I ask for the tale of the moonlit dance often." My words spoke with gentle, childish sheepishness, as I admitted to this belle that she was the thing of fairytales to me, a wondrous creature who might have captured the hearts of my family through her grit and loyalty. She must rest, child, Nyth's voice echoed in my mind, and I nodded absently, turning my bodice so that we might stand shoulder to shoulder, abreast. "We'll walk a ways to the river, where you can catch your breath and rest a moment. Then I'll lead you home." I reassured her, as my bodice curved to lead the maiden towards the river.

"Would you.. would you tell me what happened?" I asked, somewhat shyly, though my words gained in confidence as my strides began to swing forth and lead the mare slowly home again.
background pattern by Patrick Hoesly @ flickr.com
No need to mirror my post length - I have a horrible case of the rambly writer syndrome!
I like being tagged!
You are always welcome to 'try' and use force/magic on Amaris, but similar to spar posts, leave it to me to decide how the damage is taken please~

Unregistered

COUTH
see her move like a toreador

As soon as the filly said the word danced, Couth's ears pricked and her spirits lifted. She wouldn't have needed to end the sentence for Couth to know what she was speaking about, and eagerly, she nodded. Her nostrils flared and the vision of the moon, high in the sky, appeared before her mind's eye, the scent of Madyrn and Maskan as they had danced by her side, a trio of wind, fire and smoke. On the worst days she had replayed the entire scenario in her mind until she felt calm again, though in truth it had also made her feel even more homesick for the past. Her withers gave a small shudder, as though they once again felt the cool air of night and the promise of a light frost. Her wings still remembered the feeling of the warmth rising from the stallions' backs as they had danced beneath their expanded lengths. Every piece of that night was cherished and branded into her mind so she would have something to cling to on moonless nights.

"Yes," She said, and began to speak again- "Are they-" But was cut off when the filly extended her muzzle to touch the cool scales of her nose to Couth's flesh. She rumbled an appreciative greeting, a low, warm chuff, allowing her warm breath to fan along the silver marking on the girl's cheek. She was very much like her mother in that instant, welcoming and nurturing. She felt as though she was family, and Couth felt wonderful, reveling in the feeling of acceptance. She'd worried for many nights that her absence would not be forgiven, but through the filly's actions she discerned forgiveness and acceptance and it meant the world to the winged wraith.

Her next words fulfilled the question Couth hadn't quite asked. They were well, then, and by the way Amaris spoke, they'd forgiven her absence and would welcome her the same way that she had. Couth smiled and closed her eyes for an instant, thanking the gods who had watched over them while she'd been away. How merciful life could be, even over such a passing of time. The filly admitted, then, that she enjoyed the story of the dance, and Couth felt somewhat embarrassed; for her it had been a private moment, but she knew that the dance had been a beautiful moment- she guessed, now, that the brothers spoke of so that they too could keep the memory close to their hearts. She smiled, then, and while there was a tiny, lingering feeling of bashfulness, knowing that this filly likely knew that there had been something ignited between herself and Madyrn, she was touched that Amaris had liked the story. "It was a wonderful night," She said, her tones soft and dreamlike.

Her spirits had been so lifted that her physical exhaustion only returned to her once Amaris spoke of getting a drink of water. Her throat clenched, feeling dry and neglected and she nodded eagerly. The word home touched her, and gave the wandering mare a sense of resolution. She would indeed be returning home, to the place she had never intended to leave. As they walked, the filly hesitantly asked for the story, which Couth could not deny her. It made her lips draw tight and thin, but nonw that she knew she was accepted back into the Qian, and would see Mirage and the others soon, she felt that it was easier to tell.

She nodded her head twice. "Before I came here, I met a stallion named Repartee. We were both young and enchanted with the idea of having our own herd, living on our own, leading." She said. "But we were too young, and not right for each other. And I don't think he saw that. I left, and he couldn't forgive me for it." She said. "Year passed; I'd forgotten about him completely, but I couldn't say that he had let go of the past as easily. He gained magic, the power to influence others, to control their actions. Somehow, he found me here- perhaps by chance, perhaps by hearsay." She said. "He stole me away by controlling my body." She said. "And took me back to the forest where we'd lived. He kept me captive, but treated me well. He wanted to be loved, and eventually the thought of keeping me captive brought him great guilt. He released me, but out of pity I stayed." She said. She was quiet for a moment. She did not want to speak of their fight, of the way he'd tried to manipulate her- because she cared for Repartee, the troubled, broken man. Even through everything, she did not want to say a word against him. "Eventually he came to terms with the fact that he couldn't control someone's heart. And as soon as he knew this, I left again." She said.