the Rift

[OPEN] For Hire

Desperado Posts: 30
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 10 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.3 :: 5 :: Tallsun HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Foxy
YOUR PRISON IS WALKING
THROUGH THIS WORLD ALL ALONE</style>

Des had been wandering. Mostly he had kept to himself - other than his rather awkward encounter upon entering into Helovia. He had tried to steer clear of things, until he had sorted some things out first. You know, get a lay of the land, and what not. He wasn't the sort to rush into things if he didn't have to - but he also wasn't the sort to really take his time, if you dig my meaning.

If not? Eh...you'll see soon enough.

Anyways - So Des had walked. He was slightly less nourished than usual - the Tallsun heat had slimmed him down quite a bit, causing him to look more thoroughbred-y than he'd care to admit. But he didn't mind; he was what he was. His dark mane curled in vague waves against his shoulders, and continued in loose curls down his back, suddenly erupting into a full tail - which was currently covered in dust. In fact, most of his body was covered in dust. On account of the walking, you see. He was tired, but wouldn't show it - he walked casually, but with a purpose, towards the direction of the Edge. As he neared, he thoughtfully paused, sharp green gaze looking inwards.

Chewing on a bit of grass still between his pale lips, he swallowed and leaned against a tree - taking refuge in the shade while he waited.

And what was Des waiting for? Well. If you stand outside of any-place long enough, someone's bound to take notice and come on out. That's what Des was counting on. Hopefully it was someone who knew a thing or two about this wall that was going up - that's really why he was here. But the higher-ups of a herd, usually weren't the ones who did the patrols. He wasn't stupid - he knew how things went. But maybe he'd catch a lucky break. If not, well...He'd play that hand once it was dealt.

Image Credits
 HP: 63
Desperado,
why don't you come to your senses,
you've been out riding fences,
for so long now.

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

Kaj</style>

everything on the earth has a purpose...

every disease an herb to cure it...

and every person a mission

Since Kahlua had sought him out mere nights ago to relay such vital information, and to gift him with a beautiful glass chainmail neck piece that hung comfortably from him as he walked that moment, Kaj had taken to patrolling by ground more often. He could not be absent in the skies to the point where his brethren needed to call out to him in order to see him physically. It was comforting, in a way, to be so close to the mists once again. He had yet to use the magic they had been gifted, to turn into the vaporous substance, as he saw no need with how little he had left the borders of his home lately. Why would he wish to conceal himself from his brothers and sisters? His friends? Nobody knew when the next disaster would come, and this time he would be the first to respond to the call.

It was warm, but not as stifling as the lands off the ocean cliffs, where the cooler air wafted up and the mists clung comfortingly to their skin. Pale azures flickered across the landmarks he knew better than his own skin, wings tucked close and rubbing hide gently across the trees to renew the scent markers. It was familiar, soothing, this process. It helped him not regret leaving the heavens above to protect his home from below.

Except, there is something different. A new scent tickling his nostrils, carried on the warm wind that swirled the mists around him, raw and wild as the newcomers that usually paraded through the threshold in hopes of someone proffering a home. No herd scent, for sure, for Kaj has encountered every scent in his time in Helovia. The Wilds should not smell so close, so he flicks his aurals up and pauses, and deciding to spoil himself he feels the mist embrace him, and with it he disappears in a flicker of gold and teasing light off glass.

It is a newcomer indeed, silent and shaded in the umbrella of a tree of the borders. He is dark like cocoa, scarred with coal locks that curl across his hide in the humidity of the day, moisture only increased by the mists sprawling across the cooler earth of the Edge. Kaj steps from his intangible state before the stranger, shedding his misted limbs and shaking himself easily as pale baby blues gazed curiously into rich jade.

"Greetings, friend. What brings you to our borders?" Deep, warm voice echoes from his lips and pale head turns to view him better. "I am Kaj, WingLeader of these lands. May I ask your own calling, brother?" A shuffle of wings and he gives a small smile of welcome, though his large frame cannot be disputed, sure to become a threat if the other portrays himself as one.

Credit

Foxy
YOUR PRISON IS WALKING

Had he waited long? Well. Even if he had, he wasn't the sort to complain about it. He did show up unannounced after all. And perhaps he had thought of this place wrong - perhaps there wasn't a need for guards and patrols. Maybe this wall thing was something else entirely, but he didn't think so. No sir. Walls weren't built just for show. They were usually meant for keepin' folks out. Or in very interesting cases, keepin' em' in.

Slowly something comes out of the mist - or, perhaps more properly, comes through it. Des watches without much interest - his intelligent gaze lost in a mess of muck and hair - though he did think it was as pretty neat trick. Pretty handy, too, he supposed. But he wasn't surprised, not really. If this wall was meant for keepin' folks out, then giving a display for passer's by, sort came part and parcel.

Des sluggishly pushed himself away from the tree upon which he rests, as Kaj came forward. His tangled tail flicked against his thighs, causing small clouds of dust to disperse. The odd marking upon his shoulder was visible, but not noticeably so - for a thick layer of grunge as well as mane concealed most of it. But then again, Des wouldn't be surprised if it was noticed. He only hoped it wouldn't be. And if it were, he hoped they wouldn't know what it meant.

"Names' Desperado" He replied amicably enough, nodding his tanned muzzle to his chest. "Can't say I know what a WingLeader is - " He continued, his voice a rather pleasant sort of western-drawl. "-But I appreciate the welcome. I come about this wall I hear folks talkin' of. Would you be the type who knows about that sort of thing?"

For an unarmed, scrawny equine on the borders of a land inhabited by warriors and dragon-keepers, Desperado looked fairly confident. Not rudely so - perhaps respectfully not-intimidated was a better way of putting it. There was grit in this equine, that was evident. From the way he held himself, to the dumbed-down intelligence that was hinted at in his speech. He could feel perspiration begin to form under the mat of hair that trailed down his spine. It itched, as droplets slithered down his back, causing his body to shiver at the sensation.

Image Credits
Desperado,
for so long now.

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

Kaj</style>

everything on the earth has a purpose...

every disease an herb to cure it...

and every person a mission

Nonchalantly the mocha creature shifts off and away from the tree, moisture clinging to his frame as it did to Kaj. Luckily he was a lighter shade than this fellow, with no dark pigments to draw the unforgiving sun even further into his skin. Plume flicked tiredly, weakly, and a cloud of dirt and dust cloys in the air like some sick perfume for the well-traveled. There is a flicker of unnatural color on his toned frame, and it catches Kaj's blues, but he looks back towards the stallion without lingering or questioning the marking. It's not his place, he didn't want to seem intrusive after all. The stranger speaks in a warm drawl, and Kaj gives a flicker of a smile as the newcomer gives his title. Desperado. "A fine title, Desperado," he says comfortably, too used to his own mannerisms and need to compliment others to realize it could possibly be taken as flattery.

A soft chuckle vibrates his golden throat and he shakes his head slowly, remembering when Onni had spoken those words so long ago, and the echoed sentiments of every recruit he'd met. It was an odd title, for sure. "Perhaps you are familiar with the term...General? Second-in-Command?" he queries, crown tilted slightly to the side, azure gazers focused on the dark face presented to him in interest. He's just so...blank and easy-flowing, and Kaj can't read him well. It's just interesting, and he can't help but want to know what he wants, what he's doing here, everything. Curiosity killed the cat, but he couldn't help it, it had been a while since he'd encountered someone so shrouded and foreign.

He's confident when he poses the question, and Kaj isn't sure how he should feel about that. "I am, though I'm unsure why I should tell you when I hardly know your reasoning?" There is a wary look in his gaze, though he is no less welcoming, as Desperado has done nothing to warrant his anger or threat. But the thought of giving away such valuable information...well, Kaj may not be the brightest, but he's not a fool either. That was more than shady, especially after the invasion, and he wasn't sure how to proceed.

Ew that was the worst post ever I am so sorry

Credit

Foxy
YOUR PRISON IS WALKING

As Kaj restated his position using more intuitive language, Des nodded. He had assumed the position must be something military-esque, although he might not have pegged this one for a second in command. What was such a high ranking officer doing patrolling the borders? Wasn't that the job of lowly recruited soldiers? To do their time, guarding in the son while the higher-up's got drunk on their own power? That was the situation that Des was used to. Although even if these were the sort uncorrupted by title, it was odd to the equine's mind, that Kaj should be here. Trouble a'foot. He thought with a grunt, must be.

Des isn't too surprised that this general wants to know his reasons for coming about the wall. He wasn't het sort to test or manipulate others, but he was glad that this fellow had the wellwithall to ask about his intentions. He might have left right then and there, if Kaj was dumb enough just to invite him in and spill his brains about their plans. His face was ever a mask of unreadability as he nodded in response to the general's inquiry. "I built walls before." He began simply, shrugging his shoulders such that the brand on his left became slightly more visible under the thick tangle of his mane. "Pretty good at it to. I'm new to these lands y'see. Rather bide my time doin' somethin' useful while I figure things out. I can haul wood, or stone or whatever your artisans require. I ain't lookin' to join this place just yet, just offer my help, if ya'll need it." His speech, while sounding rather ignorant and uneducated, slyly hinted at the great mind that lingered below. But he did speak truthfully - he wasn't here to cause a ruckus, he just didn't like to be idle. If Kaj turned him away, well, then he'd just go on until he found a job that needed doin'.

Image Credits
Desperado,
for so long now.