the Rift

[JUDGED] Denouncement [Apollo - Leadership Challenge]

Confutatis the World Eater Posts: 179
Hidden Account atk: 5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2hh :: 9 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Mongrel :: Common Kitsune :: Dark Illusions wanda

The shadows lengthen as the sun sinks towards the bleak line of the indigo horizon scraped by insurmountable and distant mountains. Darkness crawls over her skin, oil pouring over her coat, the hideous mask on her face gleaming with faded yellow. Cool sunlight silhouettes the hard lines of her shoulders and hindquarters, illuminating the curve of her back, glittering on the sweat collecting in the hollow of her spine.

Demon.

Her Mongrel, too young to be of any use, sits to the side, hidden within the sullen branches of a low-lying bush, eyes two gleaming circles of amber. Rain falls heavily, a torrential downpour which turns everything to little more than a bedraggled and soaked thing of pity. It drips off her skin, turning her wet and sleek, and glistens on the pale bone armour materializing over her charcoal form. Her eye, brilliant amber, penetrates the darkness, seeking out a form. She would prefer ambush, the slither of soaked grass beneath her hooves as she stretches out, jaws parting silently, ropes of acid snapping as they draw apart, and then the lunge of her mouth to skull, the lift of her hooves to crush and break, the snap of her tail tangling on her legs. Unfortunately, he does not come wandering, even after what seems after many days of agonizing waiting, and moment by moment her patience wear thin.

At long last she inhales, letting the frigid sundown air burn in her lungs. Confutatis, reaper of lost souls, killer of fools, destroyer of enemies, lets forth her battle-cry to rent the air and split skulls. "APOLLO!" She roars, lifting off her forelegs, the rumble of thunder and the shatter of lightning brightening the world for a split moment. "Face me, coward, and fight me like a man!"

CONFUTATIS

image credits

@[Apollo]
Hybridized dice system. Confutatis is challenging for leadership of the Foothills. Also, I do not believe Apollo has gotten his stats yet, so the time begins 72 hours after he gets them maybe? Anyways, good luck!

WC: 297
Setting: Windtossed Foothills, open clearing, downpouring for several hours now. Follows typical challenge rules (no magic/companion restrictions.)

Apollo the Merciful Posts: 251
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 11 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zola :: Black Cat :: None Sparrow

Time to take it over
Look how far we've come

Evening had come, and with it, tears began to fall from the heavens. Long-since passed souls were crying... But why? The painted colors in the sky were dark and muddled by the arriving storm, like jewels resting at the bottom of a muddy pool of water. The tawny purples and vibrant pinks of the setting sun lost their beauty, growing dull and rather mundane with the clouds billowed and collected in the sky.

"... Why do you cry?" The question, brimming with innocence, escaped the stallion's lips. The rain, a steady buildup of heavenly sobs, pelted against his bleached withers and along his back, and down the curvature of his muscled rump, dark rolling rivulets marring the white of his spotted underbelly. The sound of the rain within his ears, striking the ground in soft pitter-patters, drew the Chief into a false lull of relaxation... At least, until a booming clap of thunder and streak of lightning filled up the sky, and with it, a stranger's shrill bellow shouting his name to the heavens.

"APOLLO! Face me, coward, and fight me like a man!"

Ever so slowly the Merciful lifted his head, ears snapping forward, soulful eyes searching. Who? Mind racing, Apollo tried to place a face to the distorted voice that summoned him through the storm, and yet none came. Still... He was no fool. Apollo had heard such beckoning -demanding- tones before, during both his youth and his time in Helovia. With the relentless fury of the storm came a challenger and Apollo would answer.

Perhaps... This is why you cry. Give me strength.

Pushing himself from the water-logged earth beneath his hooves, the overo ventured to meet his challenger. With every step he took, hoofs sinking into the drowning grasses, his head rose higher, jaw setting in determination and honey-brown eyes sparking in defiance. Did he feel fear for the outcome? Yes, of course. Apollo was not so haughty to believe himself higher than such a vital emotion... But much more than his title as Chief was at risk.

With another reverberation of thunder and an electric pulse of lightning to split the skies, Apollo the Merciful arrived upon the clearing which would serve as their battleground and paused his leisurely walk. Around him, rain soaked the grasses and the trees, but the boundaries of their battleground were unspoken. Briefly Apollo surveyed his surroundings, taking it all in, analyzing and collecting the information he would need. The rain from the storm would make traction a myth of a thing for this fight, and so speed would not be an ally here.

As his eyes roamed the scene, they cast upwards along the crest of a mighty hill, and what he saw nearly took his breath away and caused a wetness to enter his eyes that had nothing to do with the storm raging around them. There, suppressed and hard to illuminate given the growing darkness and the torrential downpour of rain, was his herd. His family. Phaedra's beautiful glimmer was like a beacon of light, of hope, of belief, and it filled him with steadfast determination. Phaedra, Solace, Archibald, Ciceron, Mesec, Ktulu... They had come to lend him their strength.

Resolute eyes finally landed upon his opponent with a slap of his drenched tail against his flank, taking in the sight of the armored, ebonite mare with grit shining in his eyes. He had not spoken to her, but he knew her name. Confutatis. Here she was, his challenger, this brute of a mare with a faux sense of self-glorification. What had she done to warrant calling him a coward? Apollo had fought for these lands; he had shed blood and drawn blood to call the Foothills his home... And what had she done, this demonic bitch, save strut to their borders and ask for entry?

No. She was sanctioned nothing. Apollo would see to that.

Within her Apollo sees madness. This hellion full of souless, malignant spectres would do nothing for his herd, his family, save drive them into turmoil and destruction. The macabre spirits danced within her grisly mind would take form within their world and uproot their home, impregnating the Foothills with darkness and horror incarnate. It was for this reason he arrived; not to keep his title of Chief, but to challenge the darkness that threatened his home.

"... I have come, shinigami," his voice was raised and unfaltering to be heard over the rage of the billowing storm. Lifting a hoof, the Merciful brought it down upon the ground with rage, sending mud and water flying with a loud splat! "You summoned me, you challenged me... But you have challenged more than just one soul here today. Fight me, Confutatis, not for your 'right' to lead, but for your position within this herd!"

[Wordcount: 799
Confutatis can make the first attack. Good luck, Wanderer! :D ]

Some were never meant to come around
Some were never meant to leave the ground

I Just Want You To Know Who I Am

Please Tag Apollo in All Posts!

Confutatis laughs.

It grows in her chest, a sense of hysteria, that blossoms until it overflows into the rain, a throaty, hoarse chuckle that glitters with darkness and shines with cruelty. She watches them gather at Phaedra's call, a pathetic, despicable gathering. "You are fucking fools, aren't you," she sighs beneath her breath, the sound of her mutterings drowned out by the rain to even the closest of watchers. Her head raises proud, amber eye glittering heinously. "Phaedra!" The vindictive mare calls out, her voice cracked and hoarse. "Oh Phaedra, are you disappointed in me? You are one dumb slut, aren't you? Look at your herd! You have three followers of the mountain pines, and no doubt their loyalty is fierce, but you are weak! Your so-called army is outnumbered by the outcasts trespassing without warning on your land!" They were- Confutatis did not know their relationship with the Foothills. All she saw through the sheets of rain was a woeful, bedraggled group of horses, half of which had appeared out of nowhere to watch the show.

And she would give them their show, and watch their cocky little grins fall off their faces and splatter in the mud as she defeated Apollo.

The pretty little lord comes, untouched by signs of war. Oh, how very sleek he was, all damp black hair and creamy patches, with his nice blue horn. How she would love to dance on him as he crashed in the mud, to bathe in his blood, to watch tears fill up those tender, resolute eyes. Dead, he would die, he would flee and crumble beneath her, he was weak and she was strong, so strong, oh god they would remember her today, this was the beginning of her iron reign. Die, little lordling. Or flee. Either way, I will rise victor.

The cowardly healer does not move to meet her, and she trembles with impatience, a madwomen, teeth bared and ears pinned, amber eye glowing with elation. Quiver, quiver, quiver goes her scarred body.

Then her patience fails her, and she charges forward, not wasting breath on vicious answers, instead her thoughts ringing with treacherous, mad thoughts. Die, die, die her hooves sing as they thunder in the mud, coating her lower legs in a thick skin of turd brown. Her mind is sharp and clear, and her eye even more so. It had always surprised here how in Helovia nobody tried to work off her blind eye. Back in her kingdoms, her fighters had always tried to keep away her good side, so as to sneak up on her unawares. To make up for this, she weaved her head back and forth, keeping Apollo in line of sight, charging face-on.

She did not carry too much speed with her, knowing the mud would only slide beneath her hooves should she try to halt; she slowed early before meeting him, and with rainwater dripping from her legs and down her mane, Confutatis reared, waiting for him to meet her. Should he not, and if he does not move, she hopes to crush him, all precautions for her own safety gone, uncaring that his blue horn could so easily catch her in the gut.

"I am the daughter of Oblivion the Demon King, and you - will - fall." She hisses, just loud enough so that Apollo could hear her malignant threat.

Acid drips from her jaws, glee shines in her eyes.

Die, die, die, die, die, watch me rule!

CONFUTATIS

image credits

How Fickle My Heart and How Woozy My Eyes
I Struggle to Find Any Truth in Your Lies

She laughs.

Be it at his words, or the arrival of those who come to watch the battle, Confutatis obviously finds something utterly hilarious. Apollo simply watches her, the way that she cackles madly to herself, driven to madness by those internal demons. Her laughter did nothing except fuel his desire to see her fail, to drive this mar of darkness from his land and see that it never returned. How could Confutatis even begin to think that she, this broken, paranoid, psychotic creature, could lead a herd? A snort was his only reply to her quaking, manic laughter.

Did he wish her death? No. Apollo was not one of the Gods, nor was he a murderer, and a life, no matter how deteriorated and petty, was not his to take... Yet perhaps death would still be a mercy, to free Confutatis from her own demented mind. However, he would not be the one to deliver her.

The Chief's ears flick forward as Confutatis screams madly at those who have gathered to watch, screams at Phaedra, and Apollo spares them the briefest of glances. He cannot read their expressions in the rain, but he could only imagine what Phaedra the Opulent was feeling. Guilt, perhaps, that it had been she who allowed Confutatis into their home? Or righteous anger, that Apollo knew she was so capable of? Either way, it mattered not. These 'trespassing outcasts' were welcome upon his land, for they had been the ones to earn it. They had been the ones to fight for the Foothills, seasons ago, united fiercely as the Grey. Such devotion, such fierceness, well... Apollo didn't think Confutatis had the ability to comprehend it.

They were welcome here, but Confutatis was not.

The monochromatic overo watches her, his target, his challenger. He watches the way that she trembles, the baring of her teeth as though a stalking predator, the dementia shining in her eyes. In response, honey-brown eyes narrow, muscles quiver in anticipation, breath escaping him in collected breaths and muscles tightening to prepare for whatever strike she may send his way. This was the battle that would determine everything, but no matter the ending result, the war had just begun. Dethroned today or not, Confutatis would not see the end of him.

Come, demon-bitch, his mind whispers in a brief flare of indignant rage, Fight me like the warrior you pretend to be!

It seems that his patience outweighed hers, for the armored, ebony mare charged. That, or she had grown tired of the sound of her own voice. Apollo's rear left hoof moved backwards albeit slightly to brace himself, attempting to find purchase in the thick muck that lay at their feet. During her approach, Apollo was reminded of his battle with Tharos, and how the idiotic stallion had thrown himself into the fray with little thought. They were close in size, that idiot stallion and this demented mare before him now; close coupled, stocky, taller in height than Apollo himself.

You know how to pick them, Apollo. His mind teased, but he had no other time to give it thought before Confutatis was upon him. Her charge had been slow of pace, surely to avoid slipping and falling in the mud, her legs coated with the unsightly brown sludge just as his surely were. Slowing, Confutatis rears up, and he hears from her lips what he assumes is supposed to be a threat. 'I am the daughter of Oblivion the Demon King, and you - will - fall.' Apollo did not know this Oblivion, and never before had he heard the name... And from that alone, Apollo felt no fear from her hissed tactic of intimidation.

"You are a child," Apollo bellows in retort, bracing himself before attempting his attack, "A child playing in the shoes of your supposedly 'fearsome' father!" It was a foolish move, what he attempts to do next, but... Apollo was no warrior. He was no soldier. He was a medic turned Chief, and if defending his home meant protecting it with his body, then he would. Hoping that his timing was well enough, Apollo charges forward in the midst of the demonic-bitch's rear, tucking his head to hopefully poise his horn towards her exposed undercarriage and pushed forward off the muddy earth.

The pain which explodes upon his back is excruciating, the feel of Confutatis' flailing hooves sinking into the skin and sinewy muscles of his withers and back, prying forth a choked cry of pain from his lips. Still, clenching his eyes shut against the onslaught, Apollo attempts to finish his attack by driving forward, hoping his horn would penetrate the exposed flesh of Confutatis' belly... Or, in the very least, his attack might unbalance her in the chaos of the mud and rain.

[Wordcount: 791]

And Now My Heart Stumbles on Things I Don't Know
My Weakness I Feel I Must Finally Show

The rain dripped into her eyes, turning the world into a haze of gray and black, the ominous rumble of thunder pounding in her ears and crashing in her blood. Confutatis, the lightning was screaming as it cracked its whip and smashed the dome of the sky in two. For a heartbeat the storm-ravaged world was illuminated by threads of silver and pious gold, turning every water droplet to a burst of white light.

The skies were promising her glory. It was promising her strength. It was promising her everything she wanted to achieve, if only she won this battle. Battle! Ha! It wasn’t even worthy of being called a spar. Unlike Apollo, she would kill and murder, slaughter and steal lives, for she was the master of skulls, the queen of death, the ruler of the demons, and needed to uphold her iron fist of rule.

She would bow this stallion’s proud head and watch him crash into the mud, watch him bleed out dry and admire his fragile white bones as he rotted and decayed the days following his death. And what a death it would be! They would watch, so confident for Apollo to win with ease, only to see him come falling down on broken knees, to watch him crumble in despair under her relentless drive at him. She would fight like seven hells, and would give him seven minutes of slow death. Confutatis, the Usurper, they would whisper of her. Confutatis the Cruel, they would murmur days into the future. Confutatis the Queen of Skulls, they would scream as she came to murder the tyrants in their sleep. No, not the traitors- but their foals and kin, family and friends, until they were alone, and their blood would chill, and they would realize she was coming for them next.

It all began with Apollo, the Merciful.

She would show him no mercy, so she hoped he would fight, not give in easy. The daughter of Oblivion liked a good fight.

Confutatis screamed at his careless, wonton words, screeched as a cat might, the whites of her eyes gleaming. “HOW DARE YOU?!” She roars, ears clamped to her skull so tightly they disappear among the masses of her tangled mane. “DO NOT SPEAK HIS NAME IN VAIN!” The mare shouts, her voice a vicious crack towards his ears. No matter. When he died, he would meet Oblivion in hell.

Then he would regret engaging in battle.

The thud of her hooves on his back reverberates through her forelegs, even as his horn slices among her gut. To her credit, she gives no sign of the pain that immediately bursts into raw, savage being. Blood splatters the mud beneath her hooves; the cut, though luckily not deep, is long and the pain shakes her. Her teeth grit, her jaw clenched so tightly that the muscles stand rigid and hard along her mouth.

Acid drips from her mouth as she disengages from him swiftly, aided by the rain that has made his hide wet and slippery. Once again his horn nicks her along the point of her hip, and a grunt is ripped from her cracked lips as she lands heavily and clumsily in the mud, sucked down by the voracious, seething quagmire.

Even despite her imminent unbalance, she kicks up at his face as her teeth seek out the fragile bones of his hind leg joint closest to her, his left hind. Take out the legs, and he will fall beneath her. He will be forced to yield to her then, at least she hopes.

It was dirty, but so was her mind and acts. She would sink to whatever lows necessary- and lie and cheat in the bargain. There was no sense of honor in her movements, but a keening need- a starving sense of hunger, a want for those to fear her name, the need for… conquering and dominating.

Each step sends pain surging through her, but she shakes it off, along with several more drops of crimson blood. For a healer, he is not altogether a bad fighter. Still, she hopes he is better a medic than warrior, otherwise he had little purpose to her.

As she moves, her eyes glance upwards, and there is a familiar figure standing among the strangers.

October. A wicked grin curls at her cracked, blackened lips. If she had the breath to waste, she would call out some snide joke or remark towards her, something only they would understand.

As it is, she has no breath to waste, with her cold lungs heaving inside her dark chest; but if she could, Confutatis knows what she would say.

Sister, I am bringing the reign of Oblivion back.

CONFUTATIS

image credits

WC: 788

The unwelcome warmth of blood splattering his face and coating his horn was the only response that he had garnered from Confutatis as his horn dug into her naked underbelly, not including the scathing, clipped retort she had shoved down his ears in answer to his remark about this 'Oblivion' fellow. Apollo's ears snapped backwards as his head ached from her shrill screams, the two black digits pinning against his skull to be lost among the soaked, drenched tendrils of his ebonite mane.

The white of his blaze was marred and stained with Confutatis' blood, as was his horn, and had he not been in the thralls of battle, Apollo felt he could have been sick. How much blood would he need to shed? How many times would the crystalline blue of his horn be debauched with the blood of his foes? First there had been Tharos; Apollo recalled how his final attack upon the grey draft had left him in this exact predicament, face and horn covered in the precious life-blood of another after running the other stallion through with his jeweled crown. Confutatis would be his second... The overo wasn't certain if that was a good or bad thing.

As the skull-faced hellion dislodged herself from him, sliding to his left, the Merciful could not stop the groan of pain that escaped his lips as the bloodied plains of his back and withers gave a sharp throb of protest. Rivulets of blood mixed and mingled with the falling rainwater and slid down his drenched hide, but Apollo knew he could not stop to attempt to tend to his wounds. Confutatis was already moving to attack him again.

No good cheating bitch!

Chocolate eyes were wide and rolling as he saw Confutatis duck her head towards his left hind leg and bring her hind end up to kick at his face. A shrill cry of alarm left his lips and in an attempt to avoid her attack, the stallion jerked his head to the right to try and avoid her dagger-like hooves. A sharp, biting pain filtered through his body, radiating from the collision of Confutatis' hooves upon the middle point of his muscled shoulder and up perhaps an inch or two onto the skin of his neck, ripping away chunks of hair and skin. Blood oozed from the gash and Apollo let out a furious snort of breath, eyes narrowing in both anger and radical discomfort.

Letting out a low, baritone cry of rage, the black and white stallion tried to moved his hind end towards Confutatis and her gnashing jaws as he received her kick to his shoulder, his fore-hooves slipping slightly in the disgusting, shit-brown muck beneath him as he attempted to find purchase. In the moments of what he hoped her jaws were aiming for, or perhaps near his hock, Apollo kicked out to the left with his hind left hoof, towards her head before her egotistical and nonsense-vomiting jaws could latch onto him.

Not even pausing to see if he had hit her smug, bastardly face, Apollo moved to plant all four legs upon the slick ground once more, his eyes wide as he scanned the immediate area around them. The rain still fell in heavy sheets and lightning continued to strike out across the sky in mighty flashes, the rolling explosions of the thunder shaking the earth and reverberating through his frame. All in all, the weather looked as though it would not pick either side of this fight.

"You can stop this, Confutatis!" Apollo bellowed before he moved next, his nostrils flaring wide with every hardy breath he sucked in to his lungs, "Stop this pointless battle, this pointless bloodshed!"

Pushing off the earth with his front two hooves, both his shoulder and the expanse of his back stinging in pain at the action, Apollo attempted to pivot on his back left hoof and spin to his left, towards Confutatis once more, and his head tipped to the left at a downward angle so that his blood-stained horn was poised askew. Hoping that Confutatis wouldn't move, or have already moved, the overo tried to run her through with his horn. His aim was anywhere upon her hind end; be it her thigh, buttocks, or perhaps the gaskin muscle of her leg, Apollo no longer cared.

He just wanted this damn fight to be over.

[Wordcount: 723.]

She didn’t like getting along with others. She liked to watch them tremble and shake, she liked to taste and savor them, to watch the certainty fade from their eyes. She loved to watch them bruise, liked to watch them degrade to tattered remnants, to become something gristly and tortured and hideous…
All because of her, glorious Her, mighty Her.

Confutatis wanted to devour him. Those cute little ears of him; how she longed to suck on them, let them dissolve in her mouth, she wanted to kiss him, to give him her acid kiss, to watch skin peel away, to pluck out his eyeballs and feed the gelatinous orbs to Mongrel, to eat him. She would share, of course, share the meal with her sister and smirk, her sly mouth twitching into a vixen’s smile as they feasted… no, she didn’t want to eat, she wanted to hear him sing to her, to soothe her into sleep with his hideous screams that was beer to the alcoholic deprived. And what screams he would have! Screams rich and layered and never-ending, woven full with emotion, just like his eyes.

The mud sucks at her like a lover, a siren that wants to drown her as much as give her soft-lipped kisses, and she pulls away, slapping her damp tail across her flanks, ruby red splattering shit as drops of blood fall from her stomach. It’s a strange thought, and she giggles, wheezing more than laughing, her voice a dry rasp that curdles milk, and water runs into her mouth, and eyes, and everything, she is really fucking wet.

Her hind hooves find purchase on the stickiness of his shoulder, and the scraping of hair is a pleasant sensation that sends satisfaction running through her. And it is this ripe sense of victory that undoes her, for her eyes roll madly and his hooves catch her in the face.

If not for the mud holding her upright, she might have crumpled, as black spots flicker across her vision, and her head begins to pound like someone is trying to crawl out of it. Maybe something was trying to crawl out of it, a cruel conniving something… she didn’t blame it. She wouldn’t want to be trapped inside her twisted and convoluted skull either.

For a long moment her jaw slacks and hangs wide, gaping in shock. He hit her, and not just because she threw herself on his horn.
That motherfucker would pay.

Caught somewhere between grace and hideous weakness, the hellion backs away from Apollo to catch her breath, eyes seeking out the shape of Mongrel, ensuring he was well-hidden. It would be far too easy for one of the idiots surrounding her to put a hoof on his spine and threaten with it. Shattered as she was, glue was holding her fractured mind together, and somewhere within the depths of her shriveled black heart she didn’t want that foolish fox to die.

He is bellowing, and she catches only the other word or so. The thunder is above them now, so loud it rattles in her bones and the lightning sends her hair prickling. “Serpent and mouse, fox and wolf!” She shouts back in riddled answer, head still spinning- Confutatis’ skull must be fractured to hurt this fucking much. And for perhaps the thousandth time in the brief duration of their storm-ridden fight, she thinks to herself of all the torturous things she will do to the Merciful, the graceless hunk of gray.

Her ears ache from the thunder and her throat aches from her screaming.

There are no words to waste on defiance now. She launches herself silently at him, the mud squelching and popping, while he approaches her; with practiced ease she twists her haunches out of the way, even despite the weakness in her limbs, so his horn goes flying by her, and she rears quickly. Off-balance as she is, her aim towards his haunches is more of a falling-on-him movement, graceless and stupid but perhaps manageable.

When she was younger, she had stolen milk from the swollen teats of nursing mares; she whimpered and cried out for them to feed her, and when they fed her, they screamed and shrank and withered, and their milk dried from her acid kiss. As a two-year-old, she fought with any who came her way, and at four, led her first little army out from under the rocks and began her first journey of conquering.

And now, she would rule Helovia.
Victory was here.

She could taste it- and it tasted like Apollo’s blood, salty and bitter and weak.

CONFUTATIS

image credits

WC: 770

Above their mutilated and sodden battlefield, the skies continued to cry.

Great, unearthly sobs the Heavens let out, lightning and thunder taking form of the quivering shoulders of the grieved, mourning the loss of something that only they could sense. Would one of them die tonight? Is that why the Heavens wept for the two bodies locked in battle upon mortal land? Grass and vegetation had gave way beneath dancing hooves, uprooting the greens of grass and transforming their turf to nothing but soiled, sinking mud. Traction upon this damned terrain was becoming more difficult and hard to find, and his eyes stung from the beads of rain that stabbed mercilessly into them.

... Give me strength.

The plea filtered itself once more through Apollo's mind, outstretching to any and all who may listen. The spirits of his ancestors and his long-dead parents, the lives of those witnessing this very battle, the friends and loved one's he had made during his journey, the soul of the God of the Earth himself.

Please! Give me strength!

The Merciful was no fighter. He wasn't a soldier. His horn was meant to heal, not to destroy or draw blood... And yet, since coming to Helovia, the monochromatic stallion felt that the only thing he had achieved had been partaking in violence. Being taken in by the Grey, fighting for them, shedding blood for them... Had it all been worth it? His choices reaped of un-sewn consequences, and Apollo had no one to blame but himself.

Why, in his time in this damned, beautiful land, was he just now suffering from this revelation? Why, in the midst of battle to protect his home, his loved ones? His family?

Apollo was given confirmation that his hoof had smacked rather soundly into Confutatis' unsightly face by a sickly, bone-jarring rattle that seemed to travel through his hoof and upwards, caressing through his cannon bone like a touch from an unwanted lover. It's sickening, the sound and feel, but Apollo could take no sense of satisfaction. The battle had yet to be won.

Black ears prick forward then, however, at hearing Confutatis' remark to his words... And for the life of him Apollo simply could not make since of what she means. 'Serpent and mouse, fox and wolf!' Was she making an assumption that she was the hunter, and he the hunted? Still, there were more important things to focus on than the self-ridiculing blubbering of the mad.

His next attack, however, proved fruitless and a waste of precious energy, as the only thing that his crystalline horn sliced was damp, empty air and the tears of the Heavens. Despite her wounds it seems that Confutatis is still quick on her hooves, and it's as Apollo tries to catch and re-balance himself that the skull-faced shinigami launches her next attack.

Like the Devil's specter she arrives beside him; sudden and terribly unwanted, a curse and bane to his existence. How she manages to leap upon him from such a precarious position, Apollo would never know, but suddenly his left side is swallowed by both the larger black mare and the pain from his screaming wounds. The cuts and abrasions from Confutatis' first attack are still very much present, and with combination of Confutatis' greater weight and the armor that cradled her, Apollo's legs threaten to give out from beneath him. The mud sucks at his hooves, holding him in place, and for once in this damned fight it seems to aid him rather than decide to be cumbersome.

Honey-brown orbs clench shut at the onslaught of pain and the undistributed weight bearing down upon him, a groan escaping the stallion's cracked lips. Brief memories flash in his mind of the Grey invasion upon the Foothills, and how Tharos had thrown himself upon the overo stallion in a very similar way to how Confutatis was now... Back then, Apollo had balked and reacted like a fool. Now, well... Time had changed him.

Sucking in a sharp, wheezing breath, his back and left shoulder aching something fierce, the Merciful's eyes opened to narrowed slits and he shifted his weight. The sucking mud nearly covered his front hooves, and summoning as much strength as he could, the Merciful attempted to swing his hind end towards Confutatis and unbalance her. Bracing himself as well as he able, his left front leg trembling from the exertion and pain, Apollo then attempted to buck out with his hind end. His goal, should Confutatis not remove herself from the situation entirely, was to either throw her from him, kick her in the gut where his horn had gouged her, or simply knock her to the ground. Anything would do.

You want me? His mind asked morbidly, teeth gritting and a grunt forcing its way from his throat, Then try and take me!

[Wordcount: 795 ]

Battles fought and battles lost, wars ensued and won. She had never had a problem with her strategy, with devising her wicked plans; if anything, her problem was individual battles, and her continuous poor luck. It was easy to send a regiment marching or gather scarred soldiers beneath her banners, to watch them die. Confutatis didn’t care. They were dispensable, but she was not.

And when the time came, she came screaming into battle louder than all of them together… but today, she couldn’t help but feel not fear, rather worry pulling at her gut. It was quickly becoming clear she was worse off than this stallion, even if but only slightly; the battle would have to end, and soon. Even with her black blood and hunger, she couldn’t keep fighting when standing was far more difficult than she anticipated. Still… she was confident she wouldn’t lose. October was here, softly rounded with pregnancy (at least she thought- she might have just gotten fat off the green summer grass) waiting for her to win. Her sister was probably even more eager than her to arise victorious, for she worshipped Oblivion like a god, and he had been a god in his own right, but he hadn’t been one of the gods that stalked above them.

Or was he? Maybe the old dead stallion was watching over them now, blood dripping from his mouth and eyes gleaming with hunger, waiting for his descendants to continue his rule even after he lay rotting.

Foam was lathering over her face now, bubbling and searing her own flesh, so that every time she opened her mouth her cheeks burned with the scalding acid chewing away. Sweat gleamed white too on her coat, a sick shade of gray, dripping profusely down her charcoal coat, coming quicker than the rain could wash it away. Beneath her armor, she was hot and tired, but she fought, a wolf closing in on its kill. Battered she may be, but she was relentless, she was the wolf, and he was a fawn awaiting the mercy of death.

He is weakening beneath her, she thinks to herself smugly as she claws at him, sliding as he stands upright, lips wrinkled into a mockery of a grin. Blood runs from her face, sheets and waves of crimson. With every passing moment Confutatis grows more dizzy, head swimming. She slips from him as he swings his haunches, hooves splattering into the mud, globs of the shit-brown muck splattering her slender legs, and she stumbles, crashing down onto her knees, mouth dipping into the mud and swallowing wet grit. Hooves are rising towards her face, and somewhere within her sick mind she registers two sets of legs coming at her. At the last moment she tries to duck, pulling her head away. They strike her on the right side of her skull beneath her ear, and her head rings.

The world falls silent and she struggles to her feet, clambering upwards, breath heavy and ragged. She can feel the rain, lashing at her eyes, but she can’t hear anything but the ringing dull in her head.

Fuck.

Vision obscured by the sheets of rain, she has no idea if it is his haunches still facing her or his head or his neck or anything- he is a smear of black, mud swallowing away the white patches, and she throws herself at him again, one last attempt for victory. Blood splatters her grimy bodice, and her mouth hangs open in pain from a taste of her own medicine. She can’t be bothered to close it and feel all the pain exploding all the fleshy red insides; her drool, acid-washed, splattered the front of her chest where the bone armor does not envelop her.

I am on fire. Confutatis thinks numbly to herself, for the entire region near her face is screaming in its death throes as the nerve endings seize and twitch. And then- I cannot lose to a healer. It’s just not possible.

She is slipping in the mud toward him, but she charges anyways.

Clumsy and driven half-mad with pain, she tries to climb up him- literally. She sprints, quick and straight as she could at her current state (not all that straight or fast, to be truthful) and she’s shouting, trumpeting soundlessly, and she throws herself at him in deranged hopes of clambering up him and beating him into the ground.

Die, you idiot, you were supposed to be dead by now.
It is at that point that her war cry takes on shape.
“OBBLIVVVVVVIOOOONNNNNNNN!”

CONFUTATIS

image credits

WC: 764

The battle was escalating, reaching it's hypothetical climax, and Apollo couldn't help stave the fear that began to swim alongside his pain and fatigue. Terror took root within him, nestling in his veins and cooling his blood to a frigid temperature at the simple thought of what could happen if he should lose... Confutatis was darkness incarnate. Never in all of his years had he met someone with such vile wickedness about them, someone with such sickness rotting their brain, and the Merciful feared for all of his family if his crown was knocked from his head.

Would she kill them? Or give them a chance to flee? The images that snapped into his mind were gruesome, sickening, and heinous. They confirmed his fears, his doubts... The beautiful hills and mountainous valleys of the Foothills would be bathed with the blood of innocents, and Apollo couldn't stand the thought of it. Not to his family, his home...!

No...

Confutatis slides from him like a dead thing, heavy and cumbersome and completely unwanted, but Apollo gives it little thought as he feels his attack hit. Somehow, like the mighty strike of a war drum, the overo's rear hooves smash into the side of the black bitch's cranium. Relief and fear both fought for dominance within his sweaty breast, stealing his breath; did he kill her? Such an attack could do a crippling amount of damage, especially to such a vital place as the head... The Chief in him prayed she would not rise. The Medic did not. Tearing himself from her, his legs slapping at the muddy ground in an attempt to put some distance between them, Apollo let out a long, shuddering breath. He stopped just a few feet in front of her, left side facing the recovering demon, his sides heaving in sweat, blood, and heavenly tears.

Between the two of them, he was better off as far as injuries went. Confutatis suffered from whatever head injury she may contain, and the gouge to her belly. He wondered what compelled her to continue to fight. Was it pure idiocy, or her mental affliction that caused her to continue on? What was worth putting yourself through so much agony? Apollo could never understand, and if the situation was different, he would have offered to heal Confutatis' wounds instead of attempt to cause more of them.

It seemed that just as he began attempting to catch his breath, Confutatis was ready for more. Narrowed honey-brown eyes watched as she pushed herself to her feet, clearly worse for wear, and charged him. Like an angry wet cat she attacked, yowling and screeching pointless nothings in his ears, her hooves slipping and sliding the sucking muck beneath them as she attempts to throw herself on top of him.

Apollo sucked in a sharp breath as he tried to turn his head towards her, but only for his rear right hoof to slip in the obtrusive sludge-like silt. The moment that it takes for him to catch his balance is all the time that it takes for Confutatis the Bitch Cat to leap upon him, landing against the broad length of his back and causing his hard-earned balance to abandon him once again. A guttural oof! left Apollo's throat as they collided, and once more his hind right leg went sliding in the mud and out from beneath him, narrowly sending the stallion sprawling to the ground before he caught himself.

The cuts and abrasions upon his back and shoulder burn and scream in pain as Confutatis flails atop of him, surely smearing her blood upon him, but that soon became the least of his worries. Something hot and terribly uncomfortable began to burn upon his withers, like acid almost, and it was with a new kind of terror that Apollo doubled his attempt to break away from her. Tossing his head, the stallion released another cry of indignant, agonizing rage, the fur and flesh upon his withers beginning to corrode and burn off from Confutatis' saliva, which had rubbed upon the ebonite unicorn in their collision.

It hurts! Dear Gods above!

Through the mind-numbing pain and terror that he felt, Apollo did the one thing he could think of doing; moving towards Confutatis. With a mighty grunt Apollo tried to push himself towards her and throw her off of him, all the while twisting his neck to the left to try and gouge her once again with his horn. Just as the last time he did such an attack, Apollo cared not for where his horn hit, if anywhere. He simply wanted the devilish beast off of him, and for her to take her damned mouth-excretions with her!

[Wordcount: 776.]

He was beneath her, rain-lashed and storm-whipped.

Bitch. Whore. Dog. Harlot. That’s what they called her, and they were words that were true. Ever since she could, she fought. She snarled and foamed at her mouth, a rabid girl dressed in the dark clothes of her father. It was his name she screamed in praise as she warred, and she bathed in blood, whether it be her own or her enemy’s. They fled from her, faded away from her darkness, the brightness of their hearts dimming at the sight of the cruelty in her amber eyes.

Not Apollo. He fought with a passion she was unable to comprehend. What drove him? What was this love, as if he actually cared for his herd? Couldn’t he see that his efforts were futile? Whatever he thought might be, whatever he wanted to happen, he would fail. It was impossible for him to win; she, the daughter of a warlord, vanquished by some puffed-up teary-eyed son of a whore? His horn may be dripping in her gore, but that did not make him her. This boy was nothing compared to her might, the strength of her conviction, the ruthlessness of her warring.

If she were someone else, she might just wonder if she had bitten off more than she could chew. The weather was far from kind, the fight made slow by the mud, visibility poor with the sheets and sheets of continuous rain. Blood was pouring off her stomach in sheets, and spots of darkness flickered before her eyes. Her condition worsened steadily, but still she moved, even though she was no longer quite sure way. Everything had taken on a strange, lucid quality about it- shaking and quivering, the earth shaking beneath her hooves. Someone else might have backed off. Another horse’s determination may have crumbled.

But this was Confutatis; the nefarious dark-eyed black-lipped cruel-hearted foul-mouthed blood-drinking bitch.

Nobody could doubt her determination.
She was going to tear him to pieces, rend him limb-to-limb, shatter his horn and crush his head in. They wouldn’t laugh any longer at her. Eris and Seele would not pass her over, shun her and turn her back. No, they would not, they would shrink beneath her as she lingered, laughing, dressed in the skins of the damned.

This was Confutatis, and Apollo’s skull she would wear on her head.
This was him, his pelt slick beneath her clawing hooves.
This was him, about to die.

And then his horn has pierced her gut, and she screams like she has never screamed before, her voice a never-ending wail, breaking the air into a thousand glassy shards, blistering ears. He has caught her, just below the frayed lips hanging off the wound upon her stomach he earlier cut. It carves upward, his horn, splitting the skin and sheering deep into the muscle to the point of her hip, so deep you can see a gleam of pale bone.

She’s still screaming.
And still.
Her world is consumed by pain.

She is dying. And, stumbling into a tree not far away, throwing her shoulder against it, bleeding out on the earth in russet and crimson, the bark clawing at her body, holding her upright, she closes her eyes, shaking, quivering, shaking more and more, unable to stop the convulsions of her body, so close to falling on the ground.

“Fuck you. Fuck you. Fuck you and you and you and you.” The harlot moans, soft enough that they could not hear her.
Not strong enough to scream it out louder.

CONFUTATIS

image credits

4/4 + 1/1

Official Posts: 847
Administrator
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Official
By my verdict: APOLLO is the winner!

CONFUTATIS
Realism [+2]
Keep in mind that a shallow cut along the stomach would probably not bleed quite profusely enough to “splatter” along the ground. I loved the description of her being hit in the head. As for attacks, there was at least one place where I felt that Confutatis would not have recovered quite as quickly as you suggested. For example, in your second attack post, you say, “Even despite her imminent unbalance, she kicks up at his face as her teeth seek out the fragile bones of his hind leg joint closest to her.” I didn’t feel that this was the most realistic course of action if she were truly so imbalanced, so just keep timing in mind! I would really like to see more about her armor mentioned and how it helps her.

Emotion [+2]
The first attack post has this one paragraph that I love – the third paragraph, where Confutatis is going on and on about how she wants to kill Apollo. The way it’s done makes me feel like I’m in her head – like her thoughts are just jumping around, and she’s so eager, and that’s all she wants. It’s all-consuming. Later, there is something so powerful about this: “I am on fire. Confutatis thinks numbly to herself…” She had been so sure of herself throughout the fight, and this one line shows the slightest chink in the armor, the slightest doubt in herself, and everything after that is just so beautifully sad. I loved this transition. And that last part of that last post – where she is so hurt and thinks she’s dying – that was really wonderful in terms of emotion.

Prose [+3]
The way you write Confutatis really shows just how mad she is. You might have had a few small grammatical or spelling issues, but they really didn’t detract from the overall posts. I felt that you represented Confutatis and stayed very true to her character, even working in a bit of weakness and doubt which, to me, shows a lot of maturity in your writing.

Readability [+2]
For the most part easy to read, though there were a few sections where I had to go back and read it through again. Mostly these were technical sections, where you were actually describing the fight scene. I found myself riveted by Confutatis’s memories and emotions, but I found the action portions to have a bit less hold on me.

Finally tally: 10 HP

APOLLO
Realism [+3]
Taking into account the size and build of Confutatis is excellent in the first attack post, however I would love to see more of what he plans to do about it rather than simple acknowledgment. I felt that the damage taken was realistic throughout the fight, and you did an excellent job of carrying through injuries. Your attacks were generally realistic as well.

Emotion [+2]
I love the unexpected melancholy that I get in your first attack post. Apollo clearly pities Confutatis for all that she can’t comprehend, and I really love that in this sort of climactic, intense moment, Apollo is still true to who he is. All throughout this fight, I love how conflicted Apollo is and how determined he is in spite of it.

Prose [+3]
Although several times I found myself wondering if Apollo would really have taken as much damage as you described, I felt like it was realistic for him to react as you described. After all, as he continually reminds us, he isn’t a warrior! I love how true to his character you stay throughout this, and the style of your writing shows him off perfectly. There were a few small spelling/grammar mistakes, but it didn’t really detract from the writing. There are several really lovely prose pieces mixed in here, like wondering what Confutatis would do to his herd if she were to win, talking about the sobbing Heavens and creating that metaphor, etc.

Readability [+2]
Generally very easy to read, very straightforward. There was just one section that really confused me, when Apollo was knocked down “under” Confutatis at the end. I really felt that that could have been written much more clearly, because as I read it, it seemed like Apollo should have been trampled.

Finally tally: 16.5 HP