the Rift

Scheming little toerag [Open]

Ricciardo Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

R I C C I A R D O
The Sandman.

The heat of the afternoon was a defining feature of what was ultimately a significant day for the flame-kissed brute. His average features were hiding a calculating mind that was bustling with thoughts. So many things he wanted to achieve, yet there was so little time in his opinion. It had occured to him that having a place in the Edge was a tricky one to uphold, but nonetheless wanted to rise high in the ranks. He wondered what he had on his side. He possessed no real magic as such, yet he did have the mind and skills of a craftsman; it was common knowledge the powers that sand gave you to craft things. Being a Sandman himself, he derived from a herd that was well equipped with the talent to craft from the sands that lay beside the open salt waters of the ends of the earth. He had pondered the idea of setting himself the task of convincing Mauja to trial him in a position, if there was one. Ricciardo was not yet at one with the rankings and positions that herd contained, but he was sure there was a need for skills like that. Glass was after all, a deadly weapon. A smile spread across his bronze velveteens as he was growing evermore ambitious.

He paced slowly up the area where the noise of the salt waters crashing and whooshing nearby grew louder and louder. It was like music to his ears. There was nothing better than being able to feel the breeze coming off the waves, the smell of the salt that tingled the senses and the feeling of sand against the pelt. Though the list mist clouded his eyesight slightly, the brute still determinedly scanned the horizons across the edges of the cliff. It was soaked up by his mind that emitted memories from his long dead herd. Whatever had happened in the past was immediately put back into the back of his mind; he would not upset himself. I must live for now. Slow turning back round the sand coloured orbs nestled in fairly handsome crown caught sight of something rustling in the forest. The frondescence was dry with thirst and the breeze was causing some stirring, but this was too strong to be caused by the wind.

Gradually setting into a dance of daggers crashing against the terra firma, he quickly entered the edge of the forest, keen to know what it was that had disturbed his thoughts. With his ears pricked and his pillars doing double-time, he came to the place where the disturbance had initially come from. With a kick of his hind burly pillars, he lifted himself off the ground to pounce on whatever it was; his horn was braced for an attack from the flame-kissed beast. "What are you doing?!" Ricciardo bellowed at the disturbance, blatantly angry that his scheming had been put on hold.

d'Artagnan the Nightshade Posts: 364
Aurora Basin General atk: 6 | def: 9 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 12 HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Aramis :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire & Superspeed imi

"I don't hate the darkness. It was in the darkness.. That I was raised."

It was him all right.

The funny little unicorn he and his heathen sister had met in the Threshold. It appeared he had made his way to the Edge, no one else was around and the stallion seemed to be moving with ease. d'Artagnan came to the conclusion he had already met with the King but watched with interest for a little while longer from the cover of the trees. The fiery pelt of the brute rather apt considering the recent weather. d'Art frowned at the thought and silently cursed the Sun. Mismatched eyes watched Ricciardo, who seemed to be pondering over something. He then appeared to turn back to the woods, like he'd heard something. The Doctor looked on amused, a block of dry grass protruding from his mouth which he was labouring over chewing. His coat partly covered from the trees making him seem more dark and less 'blood' bay.

The chestnut one reached the edge of the forest with anger laced into his face. d'Artagnan twitched his ears forward as the other bellowed at what seemed to be fresh air. One lobe flicked back in amused confusion as to what Ricciardo thought he had heard. Maybe he has an imaginary friend the thoughts echoed his expression as the salty steed lowered his horn.

Deciding that he should reveal himself now, the Doctor left a strand of dry grass in his mouth. Rolling it within his tongue, the end sticking out to the left. "You know... They say talking to yourself is the first sign of madness." His cracked hooves moved swiftly between the trees and directed the red stag to the other. The eyes were friendly in his approach, his vocals had a slight hint of amusement in them. "Others say its intelligence..." d'Artagnan joked and continued to flick the piece of shrivelled foliage.

I wonder which you are?

my heart’s an endless winter
              filled with rage

Use force at your own peril ;) please tag me!

Unregistered

R I C C I A R D O
The Sandman.

As Ricciardo halted suddenly, stirring up the dry ground and sending bits of soil and herbage flying into the air, he realised there was nothing there. It was strange, he could have sworn there was something there, he even thought that he had spotted a figure in the same place. But as he had got right to the place: nothing. It angered him further to think that he could be losing his mind. Someone as intelligent as the burly flame-kissed brute would obviously feel venomous at the idea. He put it down to simply being lonely and paranoid in a world that was so new to him.

He smelt a familiar scent of a creature, yet could not place it to a name or a face. Yet, while he pondered and thought hard at who it was, he was answered. The sorrel pelt was unmistakable - d'Artagnan. As he caught the facial expression on his crown, it was friendly yet there was a catch to the tone of his voice. Ricciardo thought of it as mocking or amusement at what he had most certainly witnessed; the Sandman had been chasing air. As d'Art came closer, the flame-kissed beast took a step backward with a thud of daggers, his ears pinned back in rage. Today was certainly a bad day for his temperament and it was not really very wise to test how far he could be pushed. He guessed this is what Mauja and Ulrik had meant by having fire.

The talk of madness and intelligence threatened to push his vexed manner even further downhill, but he steadied himself and replied in a gruff tone, "In my case: intelligence. Madness is for the weak." I wonder how far you can test my theory... he thought blindly. Ricciardo was pissed off, he did not need the Doctor to justify any reason to go blazing guns. "What are you doing, d'Artagnan? No kin today?" He immediately thought back to the day that they had exchanged words for the first time, and remembered the little dame that obviously shared his blood. They seemed such a tight pack then, yet today it was only the bloody brute... alone.

d'Artagnan's eyes bored into Ricciardo. What's got him pissed his lobes swivelled around on his pommel in annoyance at this new stallion's seemingly angry attitude. The Doctor finished the piece of grass he had saved and lifted a back cloven hoof up to rest it. He considered the orange beast before him, considering he'd only briefly met him the first time there was very little he knew about this stallion. Still, d'Artagnan did not like him at the minute. Neutral was something the red steed just didn't do. He either liked them or not. Ricciardo was not starting this off the right way. He listened to the others words, getting grumpier as it went on.

"No kin today?"
Don't even go there

d'Artagnan gritted his teeth and narrowed his eyes at his new herd mate. "Maybe... But I always find that mad men get things done quicker" he tilted his head to watch the fiery stallion's reaction. Wondering how far to push it and restraining himself at the same time. It was rather hard to do without Kou there telling him to calm down. "I'm patrolling our forest... What are you doing Ricciardo?" The Doctor didn't hide his contempt, it didn't matter to him what this stallion thought of him. As long as he stayed in line. He paused to consider his last question and had to stop himself from laughing a short, morbid laugh.

"Seiren shares my blood but she's not my kin. I do not know nor do I care where the bitch is."

The red kept his eye contact, making sure he knew not to delve much further than that.

filled with rage

Alan Posts: 28
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: 10
Adoptable
"And on the other hoof, I'm your kin but I don't share your blood. So do us all a favor and forget about that shady piece of work," came a rather gruff voice from somewhere behind d'Artagnan. Usually Alan made herself known by good-natured teasing, because she enjoyed bickering like a true sibling with the Moon Doctor, but right now she felt the need to stand by him and play games with this newcomer instead. She stuck to the kin she knew, and acted as if she ruled the ones she didn't. Obviously this Ricciardo was a part of the Edge, but what he'd done to upset d'Art she hadn't caught. Blinking her amber eyes, she slid up next to her brother. His bay hide was redder in hue than hers, but otherwise they were quite similar - she a bit shorter, though. Stopping by his shoulder, she mirrored his pose, cocking one hip and resting a hind hoof on its tip. A snort left Alan's nostrils, head tilting to the side.

The bits of conversation she'd caught had been about duty: d'Art dear had been patrolling, but what had this flame-kissed sorrel been doing? He looked as if was about to kick up a fuss, which just amused her. "Oh boy, you look like you've let d'Art here get you reaaal riled up," she said with a slight smirk, watching for his reaction. He looked about ready to explode, but she could hardly blame him, could he? She was quite hotheaded too, especially if someone was picking on her - made her feel out of control. d'Art certainly knew how to push her buttons, but she hoped he'd appreciate the back-up instead of turn on her and.. call her Alanis or some other equally horrible thing. A mock shudder swept through her at the thought, but she didn't take her eyes off Mister Firehead here.

( guh, they're evil! XD )

Unregistered

R I C C I A R D O
The Sandman.

You're getting yourself too worked up, calm down; the thoughts in his head were reeling and he knew that he was getting himself out of his depths. The flame-kissed brute's temper was not usually this irate and quick at flaring, it almost scared him when he was realising that d'Artagnan and now the new stranger were attempting to make him flip.

He gazed at the newcomer to the conversation, a dame he had never laid orbs on before. She was a pretty thing, but odd at the same time, horn adorned with fur that gradually faded into raw bone at the tip, her pelt of burnt sienna, her charcoal silks and amber orbs. Instead of a full hair of tail silks, it was instead the tail of a line that matched the colour of her pelt with but a little hair at the tip. Judging by the closeness of the two, he judged this stranger to be on affectionate terms with the Doctor. Oh great...

With his ears still pinned back as far as they could go, the brawny mass of Ricciardo was lifted high off the ground by his pillars, in a poise that was neither friendly nor signalling an attack. He did not think it was wise for things to go further than they have, but he had to admit that the sharp tongues shared were too good to miss. He quickly came back with a retort,
"My business is my own d'Art, am I not entitled to solitude?" He narrowed his gaze with a fierce anger dancing in their lights, "This will change if I ever hold a rank worthy to be proud of..."

Stepping forward on his daggers slightly, he then turned his flame-kissed crown to the vixen. The light played on the bleached patch across his crown, as well as his horn. He was polite yet still bore no emotion other than coldness in his tone. "No such thing, fair maiden. d'Artagnan has simply caught me at a bad time. But there is no reason for it to be worsened."

"And on the other hoof, I'm your kin but I don't share your blood. So do us all a favor and forget about that shady piece of work,"

d'Artagnan rounded his head to watch none other than Alan come into view. He hadn't seen his childhood friend in a while and couldn't help but laugh out loud at her usual out spoken ways. She didn't seem as light hearted as usual and the Doctor presumed it as a warning to the flame before him. Normally d'Art would grumble about not needing back up, but he hadn't seen Alan in a while and was glad for her company. The hot-headed mare finished her final sentence and he snorted in annoyance. She should know he didn't do calm. Coherent thoughts were lucky. d'Artagnan did most things through his body, namely fighting and healing.

Ricciardo spoke up this time making the Doctor's blood boil further. I wonder if he'd find solitude falling off my favourite cliff over there he entertained the thought for a moment but decided against it. If a war happened who would be put on the frontline? This idea entertained him even more and served to douse his anger a little. Still, his teeth were clenched. "You'll have to climb pretty high to get above me son. You're new to the herd, so I make it my business to know what you're up to." It wasn't the title itself that d'Art found the most valuable. It was friendship that was growing bit by bit with his King that would be the most valuable in the end. d'Artagnan didn't like being undervalued. Although it wouldn't be an understatement to say d'Artagnan's anger built up quicker than the average unicorn. He blamed it on the years of war in his youth.

The Doctor left the last statement for Alan to address, a small amused smile creeping across his face. "Alan, my fair maiden. Out patrolling too?" He gave her a sideways glance, eyes glinting with the evil kind of mirth. She never did like playing the 'mare', even in their childhood. God help those who called her Alanis.

filled with rage

Alan Posts: 28
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: 10
Adoptable
Things weren't looking too bad at least, she noticed with satisfaction. d'Art refrained from calling her by the horrible name, just laughed at her in that usual way of his. It felt good to hear after her solitary wanderings. While Alan normally liked the heat and to stand out in the sun, dozing away, this had just been extreme and in protest she'd fled up north for a while. The closer it came to Orangemoon, and the further south she'd been drawn, until finally she was back at her rightful place: beside her brother, teasing newcomers. He seemed to fight at coming to terms with his own anger, which only drew a deep chuckle from the feisty mare. Solitude? Bah! Solitude you had outside of your home. Here, you were meant to gallivant around horn-in-horn with your brethren, not mope around alone! She snorted, but d'Artagnan handled it well enough and she couldn't think up a good retort fast enough anyway. Sometimes it bothered her, how she bulldozed through life and at key points was left floundering for a nasty remark and not coming up with one until days later.

"No such thing, fair maiden..."

Wait, wait, what? Did he-? DID HE-?
Oh fuck, he did! First of all, Alan's amber eyes widened in complete horror and disbelief. Had this firehead newbie had the audacity to call her fair maiden? And when it sunk in that he had, her ears fell back flat against her neck, nestling in her thick black mane. In an instant she stood steadily upon all four, eyes mere slits in her face, and she barely let him finish and d'Artagnan chime in before she rocketed forward a step, one foreleg snaking out to paw viciously at the ground as her head shot out. Teeth clicked shut on the air, a clear warning, and she snarled out, "Don't you ever call me that again,". Then she froze where she stood, leaning forward with her angry snout thrust close to his head. If he backed off, she'd relax and return to her place beside d'Artagnan (and give his neck a rough nip for his comment, too), but if he didn't, she'd remain there, glaring like a viper.

Unregistered

R I C C I A R D O
The Sandman.

Ricciardo, despite the irate behaviour, dipped his crown in respect for the Doctor. Of course he knew that getting above d'Art was not on the agenda, there was only one place he sought for the time being, and there was always the case that he may never even reach that.
"For future reference, d'Artagnan, I have no desire to be above you." The flame-kissed pelt knew this may sound like ass-kissing and sucking up to him, but that was not the case. The hard gaze that he continued to hold as he looked upon the two creatures said otherwise. As much as his tone was still polite, it bore a certain irritated characteristic to it, showing perhaps a little too much of his emotions. It was not out of choice that he felt so vexed, he wondered why he did. Perhaps in time, when he had settled and even made friends would he start to feel more comfortable.

Ricciardo pondered over the fact that since he had been forced to leave his first homelands, he was alone. And lonely. There was not much that he would be able to do about this for the time being, for it seemed that he was being spat on from all corners of the ranks. This meant little refuge from the other members, of whom he was still yet to meet. The burly brute tried to push these thoughts out of his mind, but to little avail. Instead, they watered down the choleric nature he was stuck in, and brought him back down to earth slightly. The sorrel sir was still of course pissed off, but he knew that he had no strength to keep it up.

Whilst d'Artagnan mocked him in front of the stranger, who's name now to light, Alan, the dame went ballistic. Her ears pinned back, lifting herself onto her hind pillars, the sienna vixen was equally as pissed off as he was. He took heed of her warning, vowing silently not to mention any sort of female lady-like behaviour he could link to her, but still did not budge. He held his ground and continued his stature with emotionless grace. Yet as she began to thrust her velveteens menacingly close to his crown, he did back away slightly, pushing his pillars back a step or two. Perhaps this was what she wanted, to feel she had power over him.

For the time being, Ricciardo was nothing more than one of the new horned creatures in the Edge, and he guessed that it meant having to tolerate the behaviour of the other members until this had worn off. He was the clown, the one that needed to be put in his place and he decided to gladly oblige to this. Getting on the wrong side of too many of the members was something that he would not risk, when he had such plans. Instead, the rebellious nature hidden deep within him would stay hidden. He was intelligent, and he needed to act it. As well as being the usual calm brute. He continued to apologise to Alan, as would any polite beast, "I apologise if I have offended you. You can be sure it will not happen again, Alan." There was no amusement in his eyes, just a hint of apology and the majority a cold, emotionless shell. His sanded orbs would not give anything away.

I shall not muck this up, I shall act accordingly and true to myself.