the Rift

my mother told me i had a chameleon soul*

Ilacta Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

She floats at break-neck speed through two too-close trees, her wings shooting upward and together upon her back, their tips meeting so closely at the peak of her shoulders that the glossy outer feathers meld into one another for a second in time. Her muscles ripple and pulse beneath her skin, flexing around the outline of her ribs and pushing ligaments up and against her glossy coat. Looking contorted, her legs relax, then flex, then claw at the air; dancing in response to the movements of her wings. Flying around trees had never been her favorite, but somehow she did it with impressive ease - not even breaking a twig, or sending a leaf from it’s branch.

With the same ease, she lands, her legs jutting out in front of her body and pushing into the soft earth below, her mane and tail crashing cushion-like into her body like waves into the shore.

This was home.

She stretches her wings horizontally before adjusting them at her sides, their swollen elbows evidence of how large they are compared to her lithe, willowy body. The density around her has created a shroud of darkness, offering her a temporary cloak...were it not for the gauzy, bright beam of light that puffed through the trees and right against her body, turning her into a magnificent beacon of blue-black gloss and disc shaped feathers and wavy, windblown hair.

She flicks her tail.

She licks her lips.

The tips of her wings flex and contract reflexively with her breaths.

Dense and green and lichen-laden, tree on top of tree, it seemed as though she was the only bird in this forest.

And for the first time in her life, she didn’t like the solitude.

Ilacta *
My mother told me I had a chameleon soul, no moral compass pointing due north,
no fixed personality; just an inner indecisiveness that was as wide and as wavering as the ocean...
WANDERING // NO RANK // NO ACCOLADES

excuse the suckage, i am no bueno at entrance posts

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
Look down, the ground below is crumbling
Look up, the stars are all exploding

Through the half-light of early morning, a small Twix rummaged alone between the gnarled roots of an old white oak, muttering to itself all the while. Delicate fingers brushed aside the frail skeletons of withered leaves; those whose weary place in the vast emerald canopy above had been severed during perhaps a freak storm when the season shifted. Suddenly, the tiny creature lifted his face into the still, warm air and sniffed with flayed, trembling whiskers the stranger’s scent which had fallen upon his position. Two scampering leaps was all it took the agile being to scale the tangle of weathered roots round him and there, upon the highest of them he watched with wide, shining eyes as a horse with one wing stirred from her slumber on the forest floor.

Sighing, the Twix began to turn from the harmless mare to resume his foraging.

((Reeeeeep)). Silas was right in front of the little squirrel-like animal as he turned, with his sharp beak crooked curiously to the side. Bright round eyes watching intently as the Twix began to quake fearfully on the spot, but the young Zephyr had not the taste for flesh like his kind naturally should, and he clucked gently, the way he might when roosted against the warmth of his clammy partner. The small red-brown animal stared warily at the avian, undecided as to the potential predator’s intention- apprehensively he reached for his fluffy, long tail, pulling it to his front to huddle into.

"Silas?" As the raven black Zephyr turned his focus towards his companion, his feathers glowed with a subtle purple sheen. Instantly, the Twix seized his opportunity and fled as fast as his minute paws would carry him, off through the shaggy undergrowth. "What are you doing?" the young mare asked inquisitively, as she paused long skull hanging just above the ground. Her gentle honey eyes were shifting between the direction in which the other animal had fled, and her beloved. She knew he could not understand her words, but her voice sang quietly and playfully as dawn began to break around them.

Quickly, the Zephyr glanced back to where he had left the Twix, but to his dismay the spot on the root beside him was quite empty. He huffed gruffly and fluttered upwards, alighting in the lumpy, heavy bough of the oak. Africa lifted her face, her warm expression embracing the little bird with deep affection and she moved carefully to mock bump him. The couple had spent the long night bedded across the littered floor of the old timber forest, and both had enjoyed the luxury of the cooler climate, soft-spongy earth and rich, tranquil chorus of undisturbed crickets. Such a night away from home was quite a luxury compared to the brutal nature of their desert home.

Africa spoke no more to her friend- whenever she did it was absolutely for her social benefit rather than to converse with him. Instead she began to sift through the rotting mat cushioning her soft tread with twitching whiskered lips, pulling at any shoots of grass she came across. A considerable stretch of time passed the pair by when the stir of footsteps caught Africa’s attention. Already Silas had swept from the tree to investigate the source of sound- to determine if threat had closed in upon his beloved. The young mare followed a small space behind, though when her searching, honey eyes did find the stranger her expression lifted into a bright smile.

"Hello!" She called as the shade thickened suddenly and she drew to a halt respectably close by the glossy black Pegasus mare. Silas swooped down with a wary eye cast across her, landing with precision upon the spine of his mate. “I’m Africa; and this is Silas.”

credits

Unregistered

Reeeeeep!

Her head twists upon her neck, ears focusing in on the sound. She hears it again, and moves. Unlike most, her wings move with her at the shoulder; up, down, slightly out, slightly in. Her muscles bulged enormously there, strong from years of carrying this pair of hawk-wings on her finch-body. She would bumble along like, well, a walking bird if she were to carry them relaxed in hulking-heaps at her side. That was never okay because, as everyone knows, a walking bird does not exactly look steady and strong and graceful and fearless. They look weak and vulnerable, and any pegasus knows that--although magnificent--they instantly become prey as soon as their hooves hit the dirt.

But then again, that is why they have wings, after all. So perhaps she is not as vulnerable as she thinks...though, in any case, she is not walking at a leisurely pace anymore. The steps behind her are unnerving, to say the least, and she is almost to the safety of the shadows when:

”Hello!”

She stops, turning to face the stranger and jutting her wings up into the air all in the same smooth motion, instantly looking five times bigger than she had moments before. She was like a cat, per say, puffing up in hopes of not being ruined by someone else’s claws.

But, as her eyes met that of the bird and it’s wielder, it was clear that she was in no danger.

Her wings slip back to her ribs.

”Hello there,” she replies, her voice deep and sharp and feminine all at once. Relief flooded her features, and in this moment she was okay with this. This genuine friendliness. Something so foreign to her...

“I apologize, I’m a bit on edge...” she says, subtly gesturing the tips of her feathers in reference to the wings that stood feet above her head mere moments ago. “Do you live here? Is it safe?”

The questions poured from her blue-black lips in quick succession, and the silence that followed after did all but make her seem confident and calm. She was wary, for the first time in her life, and there was no hiding it.

Ilacta *
no fixed personality; just an inner indecisiveness that was as wide and as wavering as the ocean...

Levi Posts: 270
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1hh :: 6 Buff: NOVICE
Ava
 Levi</style>

His wings glide smoothly upon the air, feeling a chilled breeze ripple gently beneath him. Silver orbs search closely towards the Threshold, just in case anyone was there for him to recruit. It had been a while since he had last been here. Months, actually, before he went to go search for Aryel. Aryel was one of his best friends. She was his first and truly only friend but now it had been almost a year since he had seen her. He knew his sergeant friend had not abandoned the Throat… she just couldn’t have. No there had to be an explanation in why she was not at the Throat. And this was why Levi had indeed gone to look for her. Now, he was the one who had returned and was ready to commit his loyalty to the Throat and its members for as long as he lived.

Slowly, the brute was beginning to grow tiresome and believed that it was time to land. He could search on foot; this was not a big deal to him. Pressing his body downwards, he glided slowly to the ground, letting his hooves touch the lush grass beneath him. Quickly, Levi dug his hooves into the soft earth so he would be able to slow his momentum down and eventually come to a stop. And briefly, the silver did come to a stop. Giving a sigh, the grullo stallion pressed himself forwards to try and find someone, anyone. He loved recruiting new members because he could offer them a home, comfort, and a family. Who wouldn’t want that? Giving a soft smile, the brute suddenly came to a halt. He indeed heard two voices, every bit of the conversation, and then saw two figurines in the distance. Satisfied Levi walked at a casual pace towards the duo. A light smile aroused on the stag’s features. “Greetings, ladies” He chimed. But then suddenly it hit him in the head like a rock. One of the figurines that stood before him was Africa! Africa was back too! What a joyous day this was! Letting out a soft whinny, Levi approached Africa, outstretching his muzzle, in an offer, to meet hers. “Africa,” he almost whispered “it’s a pleasure to see you again, sister.” His honey coated voice rang enthusiastically. Once he responded to his lovely sister Africa, his silver gaze turned towards the new comer, but still stood next to Africa on her right side, not noticing that she now only had one wing.

Of course, Levi knew that if this raven colored fae chose to join the Throat she would be immediately accepted because she was a Pegasus. His orbs sparkled as he examined her with an inviting look. Her jet black coat was as dark as the blackest night sky, not one bit dull. Her appearance was lean and tiny, and very stunning. She would indeed be perfect for the Throat. Once he was done examining her, he dipped his head politely in a bow. "“Hello, miss. My name is Levi, a soldier of the Dragon’s Throat. Sorry to interrupt, but to answer the question that you had before, no we both do not live here. We come from a land called the Dragon’s Throat. We offer a home in the desert with many other members, shelter, and our leader, Kri. We have jobs, or ranks, for members who would like to help out and not to mention lovely scenery.” He explained to the fae. "“And, with open wings, we offer our home to you if you would like to join, milady.” He says kindly with a smile, looking from the unknown mare to Africa. Silently, Levi waits for a response.

{Hope you don't mind that I plopped in! If so I can delete this :3}

"blah blah blah."

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
Look down, the ground below is crumbling
Look up, the stars are all exploding

The startled posture which swept through the raven, winged mare caused Africa to pause; to recalculate her approach and soften her confidently casual manner. It was far easier for those of their species to read each other’s familiar body-language than perhaps understand the regal, timeless sort of poise demonstrated by a Unicorn. Africa, though she did not ordinarily choose to mingle with the horned or antlered kind- they were so dissimilar and difficult to relate to really, found Silas to be a far less complicated companion. The young mare’s lacework of mottled grey wing feathers smoothed quickly, streamlining her outlook dramatically (though not nearly as much as it might have with two wings), so that she would not appear overly imposing or overbearing.

Perhaps the respectful gesture was well received because as she watched carefully, thoughtfully and vigilantly through the gentle amber eye issued that way, Africa did notice the other settle somewhat. She smiled quietly, as the black Pegasus returned a surprisingly deep and pleasant greeting; nodding reassuringly to each of her fair, though unsettled questions. It became all too apparent to the dappled, one winged mare then that her and Silas’s nervous company had only just stumbled into this maze of shaggy redwoods which was Helovia’s Threshold.
Africa chuckled softly, not because she found the other’s discomfort entertaining, but it was more that she could relate indeed- having been here herself one whole year ago (when Midas took her under his wing; hypothetically speaking). At that moment, when her rough, grey whiskered lips parted to comfort the other horse, another stepped through the thick veil of shade towards them.

Her neck curled around so she could view the new comer as he appeared between two large pines; to assess the fashion of his approach in one swooping motion with her perceptive, intelligent gaze. Silas too had shuffled around and was regarding the unfamiliar stallion with a cagy, cautious eye. He need not have been concerned however, because as Africa recognized her herd-brother her eyes lit up with joy, and the corners of her wrinkled mouth followed suit.

Levi greeted them both charmingly, and Africa smiled easily in response. Then, as though struck by some phenomenon unseen by either she or her beloved, he came forward with an outstretched neck to allow his soft muzzle to brush tenderly against her own. Their friendship was as innocent and fresh-faced as an infant, and should there have been more opportunity in the seasons past for them to grow that bond, undoubtedly it would have prospered. Never the less she blew gently against the trail of his whispering breath as it broke into bright melody, appreciating his unrestrained kindness. Africa could feel the heat between them radiating, magnified by the stewing morbid warmth of the day, though she cared little in that moment.

She was not the submissive sort, nor passive or meek (not since her ‘rebirth’), though fell into a cooperative silence when the stallion appeared to want to speak again. His gaze was gentlemanly- much how Africa recalled it to be, and it had been centred upon their glossy black company, the newcomer to their world; Helovia. Africa’s wing fidgeted by her rib-lined barrel, sleek black flight-feathers tickling the muscular bulge of her thigh; then lifting away slightly so that any slip of rogue breeze might find its way between.

Patiently she listened as the silver-eyed soldier spoke, nodding appropriately as she agreed with his various, and thorough explanations. “Our family is intimate and spirited.” Africa offered as a valid after-thought, tilting her face shrewdly as she added her own, more feminine perspective to his introduction to their home. “There is no pressure of course friend, and you are more than welcome to bed within our secure borders for any length of time, should you need time to process our offer, and think about the opportunity it presents. I would be more than willing to share with you my knowledge of Helovia’s lore- to give you a greater perspective, I mean.” Her young face lowered as she concluded, blinking softly through a generous smile. “What is your name? Forgive our enthusiasm!”

credits

Unregistered

In any other chapter of her life prior to the one she had just opened mere moments ago, she would have not even bothered standing here while they congregated around her. It was something she wouldn’t have had the patience for--though where she’d lived, there were multiple liaisons from multiple places all vying for you to ‘go with them’ without any history of you, or your past. It would be unlikely that anyone would have patience for that. The whole thing was all so un-genuine and all about moving up the chain for those courting you, and while she couldn’t drag anyone for that, it was the one area where she’d always felt some sort of true desire to protect and house someone was needed.

Even now, she found herself wondering ‘who has time for this’ while Levi dutifully filled her questions with an answer, and then some. She could plainly see the truth on his face and in Africa’s eyes, but the old her still tugged her by the ear, threatening to drag her down and away from all of this.

“Ilacta,” she replies, calmly, kindly, as though her mind had not been racing from thought to thought the entire time they were speaking to her.

“Yes, yes...I’ll go,” her eyes flit to Levi, then to Africa, her voice steady and sure. “I’m more than sure I will find my purpose in your home within the week.”

The bulbous-waves of her tail separate in the air as it flicks against her lean legs, her ears flitting back momentarily as she readjusts her wings, preparing for flight. Her mane falls in thick chunks from the disc-shaped feathers at their base, returning to her neck in clingy, blackest-black-waves that give her an eery, ethereal appearance.

“Africa, if you don’t mind...” she says apologetically, offering the one-winged mare her best thankful smile before gesturing to Levi with her head, spreading her wings, and floating into the air with one swift flap.

Ilacta *

[This thread can be concluded if you guys like :) I will make a post in DT soon!]