the Rift

[PRIVATE] Tundra dreams (I have no imagination) - Alysanne

Aleksandr Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
I was alone. We were alone.

No, no, we were not. I could feel it – taste it in the air. This was another of those lands; those that had that all-embracing touch of something within it, burrowing inside the crust of the earth, spewing through lava and ice.

Still, I did not care.

There was very little I cared for.

There was more I cared for than I expected, but these things, I told no one – only him.

Sometimes, though, some part of me wanted to coat myself in ice, to wrap myself in it, to close myself within it. Once I had fire, once I had ice, now I had nothing (I had everything), but some habits are hard to let go. Some habits. Some places, even.

The tundra was welcome, it was familiar in all the ways it wasn’t, and I let the ice burrow through my skin, even in the height of summer (I do not care what they label it; summer is summer, the earth answers to no one and nothing but its own motion), pinpricks of cold – refreshing – delightful.

It had been too long.

I breathed in; I breathed out.

Some part of me unclenched. It had been too long, indeed.

I missed her.

(Wait, what?)

She would have liked this place, I think (I hoped); even these withered grasses and smallish, unassuming blooms; I had a feeling she would enjoy this.

Heh.

Maybe that was just wishful thinking.

It was sunrise; the world glowed. I was not one given to wonder, but even then I felt it, stuttering inside me – that elusive, shriveled thing my brother would deem my heart.

Heh. So unlike me, to be so – what, romantic?

As if.

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah

Since she had left Nocturne, Aly had been thinking about how to try to get back. She left so much of herself there; making a new life here in Helovia did not seem possible. That was not to say that she did not adore World’s Edge and Kahlua was so marvellous – but they were substitutes for something she had somewhere else.

Oh she had dreamed about waking up to find that they were all here, that her new and old friends could meet one another and life would be wonderful. Always the optimist but the realistic (though smaller) part of her did not really believe it was possible.

And then.

Her breath caught as soon as she sees the black figure. It had done so often, whenever she saw someone from a distance that could be him, but in another second it was always released because she just knew it wasn’t. But this time, could it really be?

She had come here on a whim. After getting settled in and accustomed to World’s Edge she decided to explore. Finding the shore, she followed it to the north. She had never seen a true tundra before – Elysium had occasionally disguised itself as such but it was not the same.

“Have I stumbled into a dream?” The question to herself came with a laugh – both at how ridiculously poetic she was being and the situation in general. Could it really be him? She knew him, knew him so well. Knew him well enough to be able to recognize him from his brother.

Identical, they almost even smelled the same. But Alysanne knew. Oh she knew him. And oh her heart would break if this were some trick. There was magic here, she knew. She had seen it performed by Kahlua upon their arrival in World’s Edge – the product a glass chain headband encircling her ears, with a small heart dangling down beneath her forelock. She had even heard that there were Gods though she did not yet know what to do with such knowledge. Were there Gods? Were they similar to the angels and demons of her former home?

At that thought, there was a prickle of a memory concerning those demons but it did not stick. Everything off topic was slipping from her mind as she approached, the dawn light washing over her pale body. With every step the fear that it was someone else faded and her pace quickened – stopping only when she was close enough to touch him. “Oh Aleksandr, are you real?” She asked even though she knew.

No caution (had he left first or had she?) as she bridged the gap between them with her nose, moving to brush against his neck in an affectionate greeting. Also to confirm that he was not a trick of this land.

She was different – less adorned with flowers than she had been in Nocturne – but they were the same emerald eyes that were bright with all the love she still had not confessed. She cannot even think of what to say or what to ask. How was he here? Where was Kostya? His twin was undoubtedly close but she couldn’t bring herself to check – just in case Aleksandr disappeared when she looked away.

The full weight of how much she had missed him was slamming into her now as tears began to cloud her vision.

please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Unregistered
Were I a bragging man, I could’ve lied to myself and felt honored that she’d followed me here; after all, what sort of coincidence would lead her, of all people, to appear the same place our erratic feet led us to? It was the sort of odds one should not bet on.

I was not given to bragging – I was not my brother, bless him – and therefore, I accepted this remarkable coincidence for what it was: remarkable, and a coincidence, no more, no less.

Rather remarkable that I’d think such things when my heart was in my throat and my legs seemed to have frozen into the tundra I knew so well, traitors, all of them.

It was not a dream, because I never dreamed. No illusion, because, to be perfectly frank, I did not have such a memory to remember the exact intonation of her voice that well, not enough to conjure her from thin air. There were marks that weren’t there before, nicks and dents to her skin, and I was quite sure that little spot hadn’t been there before…

Which is irrelevant, I know.

At least she kept the wings. That little detail I would never forget.

“Guess so,” I said, far more flippantly than I wished to, if I wished at all. I wasn’t sure it was my intention to speak in the first place. “Feels real to me.”

It did. The brush of her skin was warm the way only another living being’s touch could be. Sweet, too. She still smelt of flowers, though they were gone, much as my own powers.

And those eyes, I didn’t think I’d ever forget those eyes – how could I?

“I’m glad,” I said quietly, brushing her nose with mine. “Glad you’re real,” I clarified, brushing the tears from the rim of those beautiful eyes of her, such beautiful green eyes.

His flippant tone was enough to cause hesitation. Why had he and Kostya left Nocturne? Was she part of the reason? She did not ask anything of him – there were no strings she wanted to use to tie him to her. They shared memories, shared a son, but even that was not enough for her to believe he could ever belong to her. He belonged to (with) his twin.

She hoped that perhaps he spared the odd moment to think of her when they were apart. Maybe he even missed her.

There were questions she could ask – three word phrases she could utter - that would let her know how he felt, one way or another. For now, however, his touch was enough to ease her worries. That gentleness was something she still thrilled at. He could be flippant, cold, distant, and awkward, but all of that disappeared whenever he touched her.

So easily won over.

Doubt had never stuck to Alysanne’s mind easily. She had never learned that there were those in the world that could not be trusted, that might hurt you.

The scars on her body told differently but the memories associated with that day no longer existed.

“I don’t know why I’m crying.” She confessed in a whisper, letting him wipe what he could away. He was so gentle, did he even realize that?

She did not understand how different they were, how that would make this romance so unstable and unlikely. Was romance even the right word? A more troubled mind might wonder how long they had, how long before he grew distant and bored of a sweet Pegasus that smelt of flowers and felt intoxicated by his presence. Such doubts were so easily avoided in Aly’s mind. He was here and he was being sweet, there was no room for conjecturing. Not for her. Not now.

Pulling away, reluctantly, those green eyes took him in. They were still glossy with tears but the smile that was taking over was unmistakable. This was no coincidence. “Have you been well? How long have you and Kostya been here?”

Just two of the many questions she could ask but she could not bring herself to ask any more. She could not even step much further back – if they were to be separated again, was it so wrong to allow herself this intimacy?

made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Unregistered
“Don’t,” I said. If it sounded like an order, it was the way most of my words did and I trusted she would not take my brusque manners personally; she should’ve known better, after all. This was who I was – brusque and callous and cold.

Or so I told myself.

The truth was, I was not near as distant as I wished to be. There had been others, like Althea, who came close to meaning – when I knew very well where my meaning was. Part of me expected her to be no different – just out to save Aleksandr Zavulonovich, the sorry bastard who had no life or independent thought of his own.

I had no doubts I was a bastard, in every sense of the word. I was also sure I needed no saving.

Alysanne was a lot like my brother, perhaps why I… cared.

To want does not equal to need.

“Not long,” I told her, because it was true, “I am well, as well as can be,” and this too was true – I could say I was better now she was here with me, and were I someone else, some random charmer, I might. I would also be lying, not that I did not appreciate (and care) for her.

I have no doubt she had several such charmers crawling out of the woodwork, out to catch her; it was the way of mares and stallions. That she chose me was – remarkable. Absurd, too.

There were very few things about her that weren’t remarkable, though.

“What about you? How come you found this place? Where’s your sister?”

We’d left before it ended – before everything went belly up – and whatever fates smiled down on her survival, I was entirely too glad she was here.

I did not tell her as much; but my shoulder brushed hers, nose to her mane, and I hoped that was enough.

“There was a snow storm, I got lost.” She admitted with no small measure of embarrassment. How she had gotten so mixed up she really didn’t know. After a couple days of wandering in a white out it had lifted and she had no idea which direction she had come from. She wasn’t entirely sure if she had chosen wrong or right – she had left Nocturne but found him.

Really, it was lucky she hadn’t perished in the storm – lucky she had found shelter and not frozen like many of the animals she had discovered on her way. But Aly did not think of it like that – she didn’t understand the danger she had been in.

Story of her life.

“Iona’s back there with Arty and the rest.” Her absence weight on Aly’s heart every day, as did their son’s. “I wish she were here.” Perhaps not right at that moment - but in Helovia. Her sister would like it here.

She didn’t know why it was enough, the soft touch of his muzzle against her skin, but it was. By all reason she should long for more – but more what? She longed for little and what she did long for, she had faith they might reach it eventually.

She kept more fears than longings next to her heart.

Fear that she wasn’t enough for him.

How could she be, after all? She was naught but sunlight and earth, no more complex than a laugh. He was darkness and stars - distant and comforting, for fire alive in the coldness of space, and infinitely beautiful.

The doubts were easily avoided but that did not mean they weren’t present.

She closed her eyes and leaned softly into his touch, forgetting for a moment everything else. “I missed you so much.” It was a whisper, words that she would say instead of others she suddenly felt too frightened of. Felt, them, yes – and when did she become the mare that was afraid to speak of what she was feeling?

When she met him. When this started. Not that it was his fault – oh no. She just had something to lose from speaking openly.

But her confession, small as it was, reminded her of how much she had missed him. Now she turns to him, adding distance between them. Not much, just so that they weren’t touching. There was a smile still, sad and hopeful, as she searched him. “Were you planning on coming back?” To Nocturne, to her. He had left before the storm, she remembered. One day he was there and the next he was gone. “You didn’t even say goodbye.” It was not an accusation, just a fact they both already knew.

made by the lovely tamme

Unregistered
Arty. Artorious, my son. Our son I never raised, never truly even knew. Why I even bothered with these people, I don’t even know, because in the end it was just – disappointment after disappointment, I think. Not on their part, because you cannot disappoint he who expects nothing of anyone, but I am quite sure I was responsible for many, many disappointments.

“Is he well? I mean, was he? Before you lost yourself…” ah yes, Sasha, so eloquent. And insincere too, I’m sure, though that was not the intent; I genuinely cared… even when, in truth, I did not even remember him.

Forgive me my sins, because I am not sorry, not really. How could I be, when I warned them?

“Maybe she will find us,” and yes, I was as bad at consoling as I was at caring. That she was here at all was remarkable, but then, this was Alysanne; and that I remembered and… cared… for her, well, that was the most remarkable thing of all. I could not understand it, not that I even bothered to try; to me she just was, the way Kostya just was, the way things happened. Maybe some day I would understand, or change my mind, but today was not that day.

She was so warm, and so comforting; it was like – but no, no motherly touch was like that (and that, well, that’d be creepy, wouldn’t it?). It was almost like my brother’s touch felt, except, it was not. Nothing and no one would ever take that place, but if he weren’t there (and wasn’t that thought terrifying), maybe she would be.

Maybe I was just a codependent sort of ass.

I missed you, she said.

“Why?” blurted out before I could censor it. It was a genuine question.

Politeness only goes so far, I guess. I never understood why, but…

Maybe I didn’t have to.

Maybe I should draw away before I hurt her further, but…

I was never a sensible man, was I?

And no, I had never planned to go back. I had not even thought of goodbyes; he went and I followed. That was our way, had always been, would always be, and I…

I didn’t answer, but she surely could feel the answer in the way I tensed against her shoulder. She would; females always did, somehow. They knew these things. Why she was even around… oh, but it didn’t matter.

I held on tighter. Couldn’t help it.

Such a fool I was.

He asked after their son, and she grinned then. “He was. He looks so much like you.” Every day he looked more like his father, with her wings only. “He’s got a little of both of us in him though. He’s quiet, but his smile lights up the world when it shows.” Ever the heartache but she believed that their son was safe, wherever he was. He had to be.

To his question, she responded with one of her own. “Why do you question my affections?” He always had, from the moment they were there. Asking her why she cared for him, why she had wanted to be friends with him. Why. Did Alysanne even have an answer for him? She reached out then, brushing her muzzle gently on his cheek with a smile. “For everything you are. Sasha, I’ll miss you and I’ll love you even when you’ve tired of me. Even when it hurts.” Which was a point, she suspected, they might have already reached.

When he did not answer her question, but instead tensed up, she knew. Of course she knew – and it was a bitter truth to swallow. “No then.” Knowing that it would be so did not mean it hurt any less to speak of it. That was the hope she had clung to, the idea that one day they would be out for a walk and he would appear again. She did not mind the absences with the promise of being together again. But to learn her hopes were in vain did hurt. Perhaps she over estimated his affections.

But had he not touched her so affectionately? Had they not made a son together? Had he not healed her when she was broken?

If anyone should be asking why it should be her. Why put up a front if he did not care for her? Why pretend.

“I don’t resent you for leaving, neither does he.” For his father’s absence, Arty had been raised knowing who Sasha was – raised to love him. “Sasha, it's fine, I just…” Her voice broke and she looked away from him – staring straight ahead as she confessed it all in a whisper-soft voice. Things she had avoided feeling - thinking even - until now. Now it was rising to the surface and she felt powerless to stop it. “Do I really mean so little to you? I thought otherwise, maybe you’re just that good at acting… and perhaps I’m truly pathetic with my plan for waiting for you as you wander the world without the intention of ever seeing me again – as you inevitably find someone more interesting.” To be fair, being replaced was one of the smaller worries. The idea that he would be happiest away from her was what hurt. After all, she wanted him to be happy. And if that was best served with her absence… “If it was me you were running from, I apologize. I never wanted you to be uncomfortable with this and I'm so sorry if that's how it is. You could just say so. If it’s too much…” She cannot even say it. They could end this – leave it to whatever end. She tightens the hug of her wings around herself, the chill of the air mingling with the chill of the topic. She was no good at this.

He was her first. He would always be important to her.

“I would, and I will, wait for you. Every time you leave my side.” It seemed inevitable. He would leave again and maybe that was her fault – but if it wasn’t there was hope still. She always had that hope. “If you ask if of me.”

made by the lovely tamme

Unregistered
Because the antithesis of love is not hate, it is indifference, and whereas my brother was love, I was just that – his opposite and his complement, the cold to his heat, the darkness to his light, the thought to his memory, the reason to his emotion. I would even say I was the male to his female, if one assigned stereotypical characteristics to the genders, had I believed such stereotypes were less than untrue. That was the way we were made, the way we were engendered in our mother’s wombs, differentiated and separated – halves of one being, little else.

Or, at least, that was the image I made of myself.

Did I doubt her? No, not at all, for she had a son by me when she could have had her pick of gods and angels, demons and commons. She chose me for no reason, and that was what I could not comprehend. Why me when there were so many others, so many better, more willing to love and honor her the way she deserved.

Yet here she was.

She wasn’t going away, was she?

(It hurt, to think of her gone. Far more than it should.)

“I care,” I told her quietly, and resisted the urge to bury my nose in her wings – she was so exquisite, my Alysanne, I was not entirely sure she even understood it. She probably didn’t – it was one of the things I cherished about her, after all. “More than I have cared for anyone, bar my brother, and no one compares to him,” and she knew that. It was the truth.

And this was the crux of this damn mess. What I understood as care and – to an extent – love was so encompassing and overwhelming, I could not help but feel sorry – I would never be able to dredge such depths of caring for her. She deserved that, and I would never be able to give her that.

I cared for her, deeply, but it would never, ever, come close to what Kostya meant to me.

The idea of running from her, however, was absurd – were it possible, or even likely, I would have taken her with us – I hadn’t – why hadn’t I? Did it matter? I was glad she was here, of course I was, but –

“I never thought of it,” I brushed her wings, little kisses across the arch of bones and feathers. “I am not such a coward to run from a girl, after all,” and yes, I was being facetious, but seeing her sad hurt me, and knowing it was because of me, well. It just proved my point I was no good for her. “I left because that is what we do. We leave. We wander. I would have taken you with us, but…” it never even occurred to me, I was so ready to drop everything and move on a whim. “Why would you come? Uproot you from your life, your family… our family, I guess… and for what? A moody bastard of a mate?”

I was not my brother. I did not flit around, I did not flirt and love easily and gladly, which was why she was such a curious thing – she was not at all like Althea, or Nascha and Naira, or Tsuyo, or any other myriad of mares and stallions I met throughout my life.

She remained. That meant something, right?

“I won’t ask,” and in the end that was the truth. I wouldn’t ask. “I wouldn’t, Alysanne…”

Mercy on us both.

He cared. Sasha, who didn’t care for anyone but his brother had made a little room for her. She was not wounded by him outright saying that no one compared to Kostya – she knew it to be true. It had never been a competition and it never would be (after all, she’d lose).

Whatever the depth of his feelings for her, they were there and she felt reassured because of it. The idea that she was scaring him off, with her too-honest, too-caring mannerisms, had been one she had been wrestling with for quite some time. At least that could leave her alone now.

How could she continue to feel sad in the face of those gentle kisses?

When he mentioned how he would have brought her with them, she looked over to him again “That’s exactly why I would uproot our family. For my ‘moody bastard’ of a mate,” The harsh words are foreign on her tongue and she could not even get them out without a light laugh – she reached out to tug at his mane in a playful manner at the ‘bastard’ part – before brushing her muzzle on his cheek and growing serious again. “Sasha, you’re part of my life and part of my family. I would have gone with you – Arty would’ve too. Iona would follow in her own time, like she always does.” He would not have even had to ask – all he would have done was come to say goodbye to her and she would have brought it up.

Just as she had moved away moments ago, she moved closer again. “Nocturne became home in part because of you.” Of course, Iona and Arty had a part to play. In that dreadful, speculative situation – she would choose her blood before him, as he would choose his over her. Perhaps that was part of why this worked, because there were others that they cherished more than they cherished each other.

But still. “If I could bring you nothing more than a moment of happiness every day, I would follow you forever so that I could be there – so that I could do that.” And of course, simply being around him made her happy so that part took care of itself.

Well most of the time. Though she did not blame him for her sadness today – it was all her and her troublesome thoughts, raising her hopes a little too high in comparison to his intentions.

“I would have wanted to leave anyway. Nocturne wasn’t safe.” Eventually she would have brought up the idea – rather loving the idea that her son could grow up somewhere without the threat of demons and all their terrible powers. Well mostly terrible, anyway. She wanted her family to be safe and if taking them away from Nocturne was how they could achieve that, she would do it. “Before we arrived there, Iona and I wandered too. It would have been easy to move on again.” There had been no attachment to the physical land, just those she had met while there.

His response was not unexpected. “No you wouldn’t. You could, though.” He wouldn’t ask but in reality she wouldn’t need him to. She’d still wait. It was foolish, certainly, but it did not feel foolish to her. She would search and she would wait, filled to the brim with hope at finding him again.

After all, for whatever reason he had chosen her. He allowed himself to care for her and unlike him, Aly did not have the courage to ask why. Perhaps there was no reason at all. Either way, she could not brush that aside. So she would wait.

“Maybe next time,” Oh because of course there’d be a next time, “you could maybe think about at least saying goodbye? If only so I won’t worry after you.” As much as the topic of goodbyes weighed on her, she smiled then and nudged him gently with her wings. “As much.”

made by the lovely tamme