the Rift

[OPEN] ceaseless motion [Mesec or Destrier]

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
With a fire in my bones and the sweet taste of kerosene

Ampere stood along the coast line, lips pulling at the thin, rather sour grasses that found the strength to grow here. Oddly enough she liked the zing of the flavor on her tongue. At the very least it broke up the monotony of picking at the short, sweet, dew-dropped grasses that were better suited for her nutrition and her pallet; rebelling in every way possible.

The summer sun overhead was strong, as it had been nearly every day this season, but with the morning still fresh the air remained pleasant and Ampere retained the cold clasp of sleep. For this reason she stood with her back to the climbing sun, wings slightly stretched from her sides to better collect the warm rays as they gradually seeped into the sky. She shifted her weight from limb to limb, pausing as she grazed to stretch whenever she found a kink. Being young yet Ampere didn't have very many of those, but it was a routine she followed diligently. It even brought a smile to her lips as a memory wafted into her consciousness, of a time that seemed far too long ago and yet, was achingly near.

Her grandsire had been grunting and groaning on a morning akin to this, but in a meadow not by the sea, and she had laughed at him then, her muzzle still fresh with milk from breakfast. She poked and prodded at him as he struggled to stand, not realizing then as she did now that his aches and pains were not humorous, but rather a sure sign of that inevitable fate drawing near. He'd taken it in stride though, as he always had, and soon enough was chasing after her in a game of tag. In the twilight hours afterwards her mother had lectured her on the importance of stretching.

The thought of it drifted away as a wave crashed into the shore with a gentle roar. Ampere's gaze softened, glancing at the waters with a distant fondness. Somewhere beyond, was her grandsire still alive, still grunting and groaning this hour? "I hope so," she confided to the wind, wrapping her wings about herself as there was no one else nearby to hold her.

Ampere was reminded poignantly of her loneliness.

A M P E R E
DREAMING OF _R E V E L R Y

bronzehalo.deviantart.com

@[Dingo]

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah

mesec</style>
      boy of the night fell from the stars</style>

Blessed be the magic gifted to me through birthright, that allowed me to go as I pleased throughout the lands I called home. As much as I had come to appreciate the Foothills and the ones who remained there, my heart would never allow me to stay in that bittersweet place for long. If my memory served, I had never been along the sandy beaches of the west, but found myself interested to look across the vast expanse of blue and see if the change of atmosphere would help me to relax at all.

Appearing near the coast, I walked a short distance until the stalwart smell of the ocean hit my nose like a ton of bricks. It reminded me instantly of my birth land of the World's Edge, which I otherwise remembered very little of. Picking up my pace into a lengthy trot, I made my way through the thinning trees and eventually found my hooves sliding and grinding against a sandy floor. The sensation was foreign against my frogs, but I found myself eager and excited to be in a new place. If only a little, it was enough to dull my forlorn demeanor for now.

Once the ocean was in clear view, I made haste to its shore before coming to a halt to inspect the foamy water spat upon it. The smell was pungent and caused my lips to curl briefly, and I couldn't even imagine trying to taste it, fearful that it would be even more foul in my mouth than within my nostrils. Though I had turned my nose up at wetting my tongue, I did take pleasure in stepping foot into the shallow spittle of the ocean where it only reached to the middle of my cannons at the highest wave. The water still held a chill from the night, but before long the sun would be high in the sky and more than enough to dry me in impressive time. With a toss of my head and a shove of my hooves against the giving ground, I was off in a canter along the shoreline.

Not but a few minutes into my carefree jaunt, a dark figure up ahead caught my eye and stole away my attention. Their eyes couldn't be seen from where I stood, but their posture suggested something that was all too familiar to me. Slowing myself and moving to the left, I removed myself from the ocean's embrace and gave a rough shake of my body before resuming my approach. With steps calm and pupiless gaze as genuine as they could be, I spoke up, giving the winged one a warning to my presence if she hadn't already caught on. "Hello!" I called out, my voice much more buoyant than I truly felt deep down within my soul.

Stopping only when I was within a few yards of the other, I observed her briefly, noting her shorter stature and the various, colorful feathers woven into her mane. The blue etched across her dark body gave her a striking appearance, but these things all mattered very little at the moment. This time when I spoke, my voice had dropped to something softer, and I could only hope she wouldn't reprimand me for what might be falsely perceived as nosiness. I was merely, genuinely concerned. "You look... defeated, miss. Are you alright?"

"talk."

Credits
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

A voice drifted across the salty sea wind, pulling Ampere from her internal conflicts like the tide gently yanking the shore out into its depths. She turned her head, wings slipping back into their proper place along her backside, while blue eyes skirted over to land upon the dark stallion.

She appraised his handsome features instantly, drawn in by the play of his pale markings upon his face. Such a kind, gentle face, the kind you can't help but smile at, and so she did. "Is it that obvious?" she asked gently, her voice low and lacking its typical vigor. Ampere's head turned back towards the sea, glancing away from this newly arrived dark knight least he be able to find out any more about the depths of her being so soon.

"It's nice here," she stated after a moment, by way of conversation. Ampere had never been very good at small talk, but she wanted something that would keep him here at her side, at least for a little while longer. "You feel a sense of hope watching the ocean and the shore forever at war."

A M P E R E

mesec</style>

Her smile was an absolute relief to my sore eyes, and I found myself unable to hide the smile turning up the corners of my mouth. I might have shrank back at her next words if not for the voice that remained so gentle, and for a moment I remained silent as I watched her turn her head and gaze back out across the vast expanse of ocean. Doing the same, I exhaled a steady breath, ever thankful that it seemed I had for once found benign company. "It is," I offered after her comment, for these sandy shores truly were relaxing for my ever tense nerves and forever racing mind. In the future, I would have to be sure to come here more often rather than the looming fields above my Foothills home that brought me so close to the disconnected Heavens.

As I struggled to conjure some mutual subject in which to speak of, the blue-marred mare beat me to it, proclaiming her feelings of hope at watching the ocean and the shore forever clashing. My lips pursed as I surveyed the undulating waves lapping at our hooves, pulling in a brigade of sand with each one produced. In some places, however, the foamy water became trapped upon the shore, be it on the rocks or in the shallow dimples of sand where crabs and turtles often wallowed. It seemed to ring true that they would always be warring against one another, their forces always even with the other.

"But why?" I spoke up at last, turning my head to finally rest my eyes upon the shorter winged mare, "Why does it give you hope, I mean? If something as big as the ocean and the shore will spend an eternity fighting, how are we, who are so small in comparison, supposed to ever win anything?" An unsettling began in my chest, and I released yet another slow, steady breath. "I don't want to live like that."

"talk."

Credits

She was grateful that he did not go. She could stand being alone with her memories to remind her of the absence of company, but she thought she just might crumble at the actual loss of company in this hour. She glanced back at him as he spoke up, her blue eyes drifting over her shoulder with the sadness you usually see a girl wearing when she's earned a broken heart. Ampere's blue came from a much more personal wound, one no single man had managed to inflict. She wondered, faintly, if that made it all the more depressing, or if it lacked the true depth of pity that rejection often carried.

She'd rather not know, her own brand of misery was enough to concentrate on.

He had his own melancholy, this little storm cloud of a stallion that had drifted over her. She enjoyed him none the less, appreciating the promise of rain dark skies always brought. She noticed his youth then, lost on her before with the haze of sad pasts and dimmed futures. He was still handsome and she still pined for his company, his touch even. Was he warm, or cold like the weather he embodied?

Was she so desperate as to hit on a kid?

The thoughts drifted away, her selfish cravings drowned out with the cries of battle beyond her and the whispered darkness that came like rainfall from the boy so near her.
"It's not about what we manage to win, it's only about what we fight for. In the end, as long as you stood up and faced your enemy, you've earned a victory that cannot be claimed." Her smile seemed to fade after she finished speaking, as if a memory suddenly drew upon her and reminded her of her defeat. Was she standing, or simply sitting?

"I suppose you'll learn it as you go... maybe I still haven't. On a day like today, it would seem as much..." she laughed, a small, quiet sound that fluttered from her nose. She turned her head back towards the shore, releasing whatever bit of breath remained in her as she continued to watch the shore. "That's why it gives me hope though, because the shore never surrenders. That's something worth living for, isn't it?" Help her if it wasn't, she couldn't come up with any better reasons.

[guh I'm loving this thread]

A M P E R E

mesec</style>

Listening intently to the answer that the Pegasus had to offer, there was little I could manage in response. It was nearly too much to take in at once, for it was all too right, too real, too true.

At that moment, it felt as though there was a tremor in my chest, a terrible, wrenching feeling I could only recall feeling once before. It had been months ago, when Aviya and I had gotten into that horrible argument that eventually drove me away from the Basin, leaving my one and only sister behind with her horn literally in the dirt. As I had flown away and headed deeper into the frosty Steppe, tears stung my eyes and imaginary claws threatened to rip my heart open with primal force. Leaving my family behind had easily been the most difficult decision of my short life, and without them... what did I fight for? The Foothills was my home now, but did they really hold my heart the way that Mother did, or even my estranged family?

Realizing that I had grown quiet for far too long, I brought myself back to the current with a quick, closing squeeze of my eyes before adjusting my gaze back out across the endless ocean. My long silence had probably elicited an apology, but I feared it would only ruin this heartfelt moment we had managed to create. Inhaling slowly to wash away the brunt of emotion that had stirred within me, I grasped the calm and steady voice I like to think I'd mastered and looked back to Ampere, my expression as genuine as my words.

"And what do you fight for, miss? Who is your enemy?" Came my inquiry, to which I hoped she wouldn't mind or think I was being too nosy. Judging by the little laugh that came from her lips that really wasn't even a laugh at all, I knew that there had to be more behind her words. I yearned to know, but we were barely even acquaintances if that. I didn't know her name, nor she mine, after all. Mustering a gentle smile, I almost felt embarrassed at my sudden realization. Uncertain whether she even cared to hear, I opened my mouth again. "My name is Mesec, by the way. And everything you've said, it... it's hauntingly true. I suppose that in terms of the ocean and the shore, only a third party will be able to stop their war. Maybe they, too, can have their peace some day."

"talk."

Credits

Sand shifted underfoot as Ampere's body slumped from one side to another, a back leg cocking to the side and resting casually on her toe; she was settling in for a comfortable conversation. Salt tickled the corners of her nose as the sea squalls by occasionally, passing under her mane so the black fibers drifted across her neck before laying flat once more. The touch felt serene, particularly combined with the warm embrace of the climbing sun that her black hide so eagerly absorbed.

Ampere's sorrow began to slip away into a peaceful calm. For once she felt at rest in body and soul.

Blue flicked back over her shoulder to look upon the stormy steed. She had him to thank for this moment. He'd never know exactly how much it meant - she only hoped he found something of equal worth in it for himself.
Mesec's question hung on the air between her ears, one of which flicked back in thought. She took a moment to reply, her gaze seemed to sober while her mind probed for a careful way to answer. She did not guard her tongue to keep from telling him the truth, but to be certain she explained all parts of it. He may have thought it was a simple thing to ask, but Ampere had a habit of complicating everything.
She liked to think of it more as, complex.

"You'll laugh at me and call me a fool," she joked after a moment of quiet, a brightness sparking in her eyes as a more genuine giggle vibrated from her chest. She was half serious though, but she wouldn't mind his mirth, she laughed at herself often enough, it never stopped her and his wouldn't either. As her lips came back together the humor seemed to be severed, the spark dulling from her gaze as the blue held his silver. "Injustice. That's my enemy..." She glanced back out to the sea, unable to hold his stare in case his face should break into a mocking grin. "There's nothing worse to me than losing freedom, it's the only gift we're ever given. So I fight to return it to anyone who has lost it. I fight for those too weak to manage it themselves. There's so many more out there than you might think... so many who have subjected others, unnecessarily, to deception, cruelty, imprisonment..." Ampere let her voice trail off, a shudder passing through her a strong breeze whipped past, her feathers humming with the motion.
"It sounds very stupid doesn't it?" she laughed lightly, her head turning back around to look upon him. "Saying something like that, I might as well be fighting the ocean."

Yet, Ampere wasn't embarrassed. She understood the gravity of her comment, her decision, her actions. She, like the shore, knew the waves would eternally roll forward,but it it wasn't for the shore holding back the sea we'd all be drowning. She had to stand up for her beliefs. Thinking of the impossibility of it gave her courage; the only other option was to be disheartened.

Mesec's voice cut through whatever turmoil was budding in her chest, wiping away whatever she felt or thought she ought to feel based on her choices. It returned the smile to her lips. "You think so?" she asked, referring both to his agreement with her and his idealization of the world eventually finding peace. She didn't think the last part would ever happen, no matter how many got involved in the war. She had never seen peace to know enough about it though, so maybe he was right. "Hold onto that belief, you just might change the world with it, someday." She pivoted to face him more fully, the endless war being jostled behind her back. "I'm Ampere."

A M P E R E