the Rift

[OPEN] A different day

Cypress Posts: 72
Hidden Account
Filly :: Unicorn :: 12 hands :: 10 months
Cy
[Image: 5273ea7639538]

Cypress

The small unicorn had drug her hooves this far. She was not letting go of her strength. Not yet. The trees were thicker here then in the threshold, it was dark and not frightening to Cypress, but it might had been to the younger then her. A frown came across her maw when she noticed a small deer, it was planted into the ground, its stomach rising and lowering slowly as if it were in pain.

Then she noticed it.

The small deer had a long pink wound running down its right hind leg, it looked like it was a scab that had just healed, fresh then had been cut open by a bruitle nest of thorns. Its eyes emerald green, like hers, they were layer with pure horror and fear mixed together. Almost as if it was in timing, a small trickle of blood came from the wound and the eyes of the deer had locked gazes with Cypress. In that moment they both just stared, Cypress feeling though she could help the poor thing. And the deer... longing in its eyes, to save it, or to kill it putting it out of its misery. Looking around to see if anyone, or anything was there, she pulled pulled a plant from it root and laid it across the deer's leg, looking as it wasn't enough she looked around for some red flowers, which contained in the middle poppy seeds. They sooth pain. Quickly she found some but they were dieing. picking them she got all of the poppy seeds out and put the in front of the deer. She willed it to eat them. And it did. Gulped them down quickly, because it was smart. And it knew Cypress would never try to hurt it. It quickly started to relax and sleep, regenerating its health. And maybe long enough for the wound to heal a little more. But the blood was still trickling down the side of its leg. Cypress looked around rapidly for some cobwebs to soak up the blood. She found some fairly quickly, they were up in a tree. A big wad of them. Nice and absorbent like a sponge.

When she was done tending to the deer she decided to lay down her legs trembling in what she had just done. It was really weird for her to know a lot of the herbs her mother used to use to heal the sick. She had memorized them and loved to treat animals. But she had never treated a horse before. She was afraid. Afraid of the weak or elderly. If they came across her path in need of help, could she help them? Or would she just stand there and watch them die? Would that happen if she couldn't treat something other than animals?

The sun had set and Cypress had fell asleep. She knew that anything could be lurking in the shadows waiting to get her, but she was not scared anymore. She just needed a break. It was now dark and spooky in the forest. It was quite. But only when the wind wasn't blowing the rately trees around making a ruckus. She had just awoken and was watching the small deer as it slept its breath moving it small stomach up and down.

"Cypress speech"

[Image: 15d7tjd.jpg]
Permission for magic or cruelty directed to Cypress at all times. But not death.
Pixel-Tamme

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
Look down, the ground below is crumbling
Look up, the stars are all exploding

The air was slick with choking humidity; even so far below the rich emerald canopy of the Deep Forest where the murky shade resembled the eeriest of twilight hours. No whispering breeze rippled the lush fernery which thrived in the dank, sunless world across the forest floor and seldom was there inspiring movement- only the frolicking blur of rogue deer spooked in the unsettling stillness, or a bird swooping from the gnarly arms of one tree to another. If it weren’t for the intermittent chorus of tiny, wrens fluttering through the dense undergrowth, or the raucous screeching of boisterous, obnoxious parrots playing in the very tops of ancient trees, the region would probably have caused the sensitive skin across Africa’s short spine to crawl with apprehensive suspicion. As it was, there was just enough life and normality to comfort her thudding heart.

She and Silas had spent the day searching for the hillock upon which Africa had encountered the fearsome Basilisk; the creature that had frightened two pigeons from their quest to steal the creature’s egg- and dine on it undoubtedly, she had always believed. The egg had chosen her, incredibly, by rolling and settling against her front hooves; it had taken Africa many weeks to come to terms with the phenomenon which was that day, and still she sometimes wondered if it were just a strange dream. The egg regrettably had been ruined during her time beneath the ground; she had returned only to find dried sections of its delicate shell strewn around the corner of her den where she had hidden it beneath the sand. Little was she aware, that the Zephyr who flanked her every movement these days was the product of that magical day, and the egg which she had treasured so deeply.

She had been unable to find he place however, and as the shade grew denser and darker, Africa admitted grim defeat- surrendering her mission. Slowly she turned to Silas, who had found for himself, a large fruit severed from its parent by the bumbling parrots above. He was quite nearly done when Africa spoke, and tenderly he nursed her bothered amber eyes with his own beady black gaze. “I don’t know what the time is, I can never tell in this forest…" She admitted quietly, looking from her friend to the thick veil of canopy above. “We should head home while there is still some light to guide us. "- Silas would not have cared so much about the darkness, he was a nocturnal creature after all.
She waited patiently for the Zephyr to finish his meal, lowering her lips to nibble at fine sprouts of yellowy grass which peeked occasionally from the dense carpet of leaf litter.

Soon enough the duo were traipsing back in the direction Africa assumed they had come from, slowly and carefully as she navigated various moss covered logs, and tiny sun-deprived saplings who had not long ventured into the warm open air. They travelled for some time, and the cover of night slowly began to sink around them, shrouding them in impenetrable blackness. Africa’s eyes found it difficult to adjust initially, and blinking constantly she found it a significant strain to find a path through the trees.
Silas saw the body first and croaked warily from where he rode comfortably upon the dappled mare’s damp back. Africa paused the moment the Zephyr’s warning touched her long, wavering ears and peered ahead through the darkness, barely able to comprehend the mass of blending shapes around her. “Hello? " She called quietly, her Bonded stiffening in place and bristling his feathers as he watched the laying horse ahead. For the time being Africa dared not continue and lifted her face cautiously to taste the strong, lingering scent of a native doe and an unfamiliar horse- a female.

credits

Hidden Account
Cy

Cypress

The Kind

A sudden sound awoken her from watching the doe's movements. She slowly turned her head to look around her, taking in her surroundings she heard a noise again. It sounded like a voice. A mare. Flicking her ears to a comfortable and better place she could hear the soft place of hooves in undergrowth when she caught a scent. It had been whirling through the air waiting for her to take it in. Sighing she noticed it had gotten darker and she would not be able to see who was near.

Her deep, piercing green eyes glowed in the last lights that she had seen. Before darkness overcame her. She sat there in silence. Reflecting over herself and what she had done today. Helping the deer, wandering to this... forest. She had concluded with saying aloud "Today was a different day" her voice echoing softly through the now dark trees and over the large canopies to where the large full ghost-white moon stayed, high in the sky, protecting the night. Cypress let her mind drift off to the memories of her mother telling her the story of how the moon guarded the night. Its light casting over forests and fields so it wouldn't be completely dark, and so it could watch over the mischievous night. Her thoughts ran wild to things she knew thought were true. Different things. Wild colors, different berries, new people to meet.

Thinking of new people Cypress remembered the hoofsteps she had heard. She could not just be imagining it. The thought of it made her shiver. Or was that the presence of another behind her? "Hello?" a voice turned up. The waves of curiosity struggled through the air to Cypress letting her know of the mare. Turning her head slowly Cypress saw a tall but not too tall beautiful grey dappled mare, she was not too far away and didn't seem to know she was there. Since her pelt was so dark among the trees someone could pass right by her if she was still enough.

The mare's mane and tail were black-grey and her tail had streaks of red. Her forelock was split between her dappled face. Then a black muzzle. Even though she was an equine she was sure pretty, and Cypress loved the way her looks seemed so familiar... to an animal... of some sort. It was on the tip of her tongue she just couldn't remember.

The grey parrot.

She thought her eyes glowing with a slight hint of triumph.
"Hi" she said out of the darkness shifting herself so the mare could see where she was and wouldn't trip over her. "I- I am Cypress" her voice came again. Blinking once at the mare she thought of what her name would be, and if it would match her looks.

~C y p r e s s
T h e K i n d

"Cypress speech"
"Others speech"

Wordcount: 469
Tags: @[Africa]

Permission for magic or cruelty directed to Cypress at all times. But not death.
Pixel-Tamme

Deceased

Slowly, pale pools of glistening amber began to adjust to the weight of night’s blackness, there in the depths of the Deep Forest. It was an environment quite unlike the Threshold’s sparse, unlidded forest, and a stark contrast to the milky wash of moonlight which more often than not illuminated her desert home throughout these late hours. She related this darkness to that of the caves she and Silas had explored and dwelt within throughout the Frostfall and Birdsong- Africa had not experienced the wrath of the Endless Night while she hid below the weathered cliffs to the east; actually and probably, right beneath her very hooves as she swayed here now.
Gloomy dapples did not show well at night, and so Africa appeared to be a dismal, weak-black as she lingered there steady hooves pressed securely into the forest floor, waiting with baited breath for any answer to her call. One ear was stained forward carefully, listening intently the space just beyond her position, while its twin shifted backwards and forwards uncertainly, searching through the stillness for any other stirring of life; sign of company.

There was a movement ahead and both long ears pricked with cautious interest, eyes peering with much effort to extricate the shadowy form of another horse’s head turning towards her- quite low, perhaps attached to a fallen body. The silhouette of a long, spindly horn blurred as the stranger moved again to try and view Africa. A gap in the vast canopy above allowed a streak of cool blue-moonlight to descend upon the vicinity and both Africa and the unfamiliar Unicorn were cast in the delicate spotlight.
' •Still the other looked black, any lighter markings were quite undiscernible despite the one-winged mare’s best effort to examine the features and any display of behaviour which her company might have been offering. Perhaps the red-russet locks which cascaded about the dusky curve of her vertical neck, and draped down across a narrowing skull outlined the collapsed stranger’s fore-quarters a little.

Finally the signal which Africa had been waiting, somewhat anxiously for, peeled through the air- cheerful and quite obscure given the creepy atmosphere of all which surrounded them. She stepped forward slowly then, reassured at least that the other was of a genuinely friendly nature, and Silas rocked lazily with the movement of her traversing body.
He could see easily that the mare was folded unobtrusively into a bed of festering leaves and other, matter; and that she was younger than his beloved- her lithe, downcast frame not yet filled out with the tone and bulk which adults of their kind portrayed. This one was perhaps a child still, and her manner was nothing but passive as she gazed curiously up at Africa.
There was a meek shuffling across the floor, and Africa found she could see the smaller horse with far greater easy- a warm smile lifting away all that remained of the grave concern in her pale complexion.

"Cypress," She repeated fluidly, blinking her intelligent eyes through a thoughtful nod, "I am Africa." Her face leaned diligently left as she peered down at Cypress, wondering if perhaps she was injured or lost, here, in perhaps the most mysterious region in all of Helovia- Africa’s educated opinion of course. "You are young." She noted aloud, moving closer again so that her lowering whiskers might brush the cheek of the girl. "Why are you alone in this forest?" Africa was no fool to question the ability or resilience of an adolescent- they were often times in her experience, just as brazen and courageous as they were foolish and impulsive. Instead she blew affectionately about the youth’s ears, unable to withhold her caring nature.

credits

Hidden Account
Cy

Cypress

The Kind

The mare didn't seem dappled anymore, but black. Black is what she saw in the mare. Cypress wanted to show that no hurt or unkindness will come off her, so she flashed a smile at the mare, her deep green eyes looking strait into her soul and coming back again, sending a shiver down her spine and legs.

The reassured step came closer to Cypress, the more closer the mare was the more Cypress could feel the body heat of her. Making Cypress want to be warmer. She had spoke the name of Cypress as if she was passing it around in her mouth feeling what it sounded like to say. Cypress like how she did it. It made her feel as if she was comforted my a new kind soul. Then she spoke of her name Africa. A pretty name, and it definitely matched her unspoken looks.

Then the words of young crept up. Cypress didn't like this part. That part were she explains all of why she is here and why she is so young. But maybe, if this mare was kind, she would save Cypress the sad thoughts of how she lost her family and how she would travel Helovia on her own. But she did ask. Not to think this equine was unkind, she just asked Cypress's dreaded question."Why are you alone in this forest?" her eyes seemed to gleam with worry of the smaller's health and body.
Answering, Cypress let out a sigh and spoke "I lost my family so I have been wandering lands of my not knowing. Meeting different lands and equines on the way, I have found this place and I love it here. Thats why I am exploring. But if you think I am in danger then, no. I have been wandering for a while, and I would know who to speak to and who not." She wanted to say you were the kind, but she didn't want to offend anyone if they listened.

~ C y p r e s s
T h e K i n d

"Cypress speech" "Others speech"

Wordcount:334
Ooc: :) Sorry so short.

Pixel-Tamme

Deceased

The sharp whoop of an owl echoed through the eerie stillness of the forest, and thudding wing beats followed immediately after. Africa did not often wander through the dark cloak of early night- she preferred morning, the hours before dawn, because the promise of light did not seem so far away. It was not that she disliked the darkness, or the creatures that thrived below its conservative veil; she held contempt for no one actually- Africa was not afraid. She was more than fond of the stir of daytime life- of the chorus of jovial birds and the banter of playful parrots; the company of lizards who baked themselves across the deserts brutal scape. In fact she thrived on the hum of activity and the warm caress of sunlight.

Quite opposite was the inclination of her raven-hued Zephyr whose nature was to be nocturnal; to hunt prey, and to rarely skim the face of the earth (none of which he had actually accomplished, or even adopted). Silas’s distant cousins were the great elusive and mythical creatures who travelled an endless path around the globe- far higher than the naked eye could see. He too was a being born of magic and mystery, and nestled across the point of her mane-shrouded withers, a trail of fine, glittery stars descended from his swarthy-back form, down to either side of Africa’s slim, shadowy girth.

Africa watched the dimly-lit girl carefully; holding the small puddle of her collapsed form tenderly within her patient gaze. Silas by then had noticed the presence of another beating heart- a deer, small and speckled with translucent white; huddled across long, lean curled legs. The creature was unmoving as the two horse species conversed- but its wide, shining eyes were burrowing into his own.

Cypress began to speak; to answer the one-winged Pegasus’ concerned question, and Africa’s eyes narrowed, relief failing to flood her heart and satisfy her that all was, and would continue to be, well. The young Unicorn spoke of the loss of her family- something which the mare could not exactly relate too, but she had experienced loss before; had watched first-hand the life slip away with her herd-sister’s final breath. A shudder crept up her flinching spine and Silas turned from the deer, to peer warily at Cypress- he would not risk the wellbeing of his Bonded’s mental health after such an arduous battle had been previously won, and any who threatened that health were met with a guarded glower. Her heart skipped as she recalled briefly the trauma which had been late Orangemoon, but swiftly she doused the surge of emotion.

"Alright…" She said simply after the tone of Cypress’s final words had crumbled away into the cooling night air. She did not agree that someone who appeared to be so young; seemed so sweet and so innocent, was safe, exploring the vast, often punishing regions of Helovia alone- brave and thrilling yes, possibly. But Africa was all too aware of the dangers which hungered for the downfall of such rash purity that was youth. She sighed quietly, and then smiled. "Cypress, I am from Dragon’s Throat, almost directly south from here. It falls to the southern side of Helovia’s burning heart, and we are a haven of sorts- secure and welcoming of any who mean us no harm. You are welcome to visit me there whenever you like. Ask for me by the border and you will be granted entry." Africa studied the girl’s face in earnest, but she knew well the determination which compelled her; that which lurked behind the shimmery green of her eyes. "Should loneliness ever tarnish your travels, or exhaustion weary your body, come to me and I will care for you."
The young dappled mare rocked her weight then and settled it squarely across each of her fine, long legs. The time had come for Silas and herself to continue home. "It is late dear, I must continue on my way. Remember what I have said." Africa stepped closer to Cypress, lowering her long, pale face once again to rest her lips affectionately between the girl’s dark, brown ears. There she planted a kiss; a symbol to seal a heartfelt promise. "Sleep well…" She whispered and turned, leaving through the gnarled, creepy forest which the child had chosen as home.

credits

Hidden Account
Cy

Cypress

The Kind

The mare seemed to be thinking when the owl's hoot went off. Though it was a new sound for Cypress she knew what it was. One of those owls that her sister always spoke of. The dappled, Africa watched Cypress with knowing wise eyes. And the thing on her back was looking to the doe, small and still asleep. Huddled against a gnarly tree. "Cypress, I am from Dragon’s Throat, almost directly south from here. It falls to the southern side of Helovia’s burning heart, and we are a haven of sorts- secure and welcoming of any who mean us no harm. You are welcome to visit me there whenever you like. Ask for me by the border and you will be granted entry." Cypress was sure to note that. She loved learning about new things. Especially herds, because she knew little about them. Africa's words made her feel better. Like she could stay there wherever she wanted. Then, thats what the mare spoke of next.

"Should loneliness ever tarnish your travels, or exhaustion weary your body, come to me and I will care for you." the words comforted her. Like she had a new friend.
"It is late dear, I must continue on my way. Remember what I have said." I never will. Cypress thought as she looked up at Africa sadly.
Her step closer, he neck reaching down to kiss her between her ears, on the forehead."Sleep well..." her voice trailed off as she made her way into the night, on her journey now. Cypress like the thought of having someone to go to when you had some trouble. Or were sick or injured. Cypress let her go without speaking. A silent goodbye.

~ C y p r e s s
T h e K i n d

"Cypress speech" "Others speech"

Wordcount:286
Ooc: This is a good thread!

Pixel-Tamme