the Rift

[OPEN] enlighten me

Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan

Going north had been a great idea. As aware as he was of the close proximity to the Basin and the dangers the inhabitants could pose to him, the threat of a heatstroke was far more imminent than any unicorn attack. Thus, for once Lace had made a rare journey to the distant icy tundra in search of a milder climate, where the sun didn't beat quiet as harshly.

He might have expected more snow to cover the ground, but even though the glacier to the east was one of the few white areas that remained after the relentless gnawing of the summers heat it was much better than the mind-numbing wall of dry, humid air that clung around the coasts. Much, much better, to the point where he even had the energy to explore the green tundra as he roved along the edges of the frozen wall.

The vast plain was surprisingly full of life. The wildlife inhabiting these arctic regions had their busiest period of life at this time of year and every hill, every burrow and small shrub was alive with activity. Frenetic to the point of seeming hectic he watched birds fly through the sky, lemmings and hares running for their lives with foxes chasing after them in order to feed growing cubs. It was a world the lonely stallion had never taken the time to witness before, and he found himself stunned to silence as his mind opened to something he should have realized long ago; that the horses weren't the only ones living to the fullest in Helovia.

"The arrogance of us must seem endless to the others" he murmured, passing the thought along to the dragon that soared high above ground, she too joining in with the system by hunting to fill the hole in her belly. She had little time for the woes of her bonded, but even though she was in the middle of something she couldn't resist returning a smug thought, a glittering sensation of congratulation and a sense of 'about-bloody-time'.

The silver-maned stallion snorted, too used to the snarky nature of his friend to even bother putting up an act of hurt - he actually agreed with her, but was loath to admit his own stupidity, even to himself.
"Not stupidity" Fajira said mildly, to the surprise of the equine, "only narrow mind and egoistic."

Ouch. That actually did hurt for real. But before he had a chance to retort the dragon closed herself in and Lace found himself standing alone on the grass-clad plain, feeling smaller than he had for a very long time.

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
The Store | The Warden

d'Artagnan the Nightshade Posts: 364
Aurora Basin General atk: 6 | def: 9 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 12 HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Aramis :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire & Superspeed imi
d'Artagnan the Nightshade
But with the beast inside, there's no where we can hide

Come on let's go. The longer we linger, the harder it will be to leave. The dull, uninspired voice filled the mind of his hellish companion who turned hungry aureate eyes upon his commander and nodded his head, Sir! With that, the hound bounded off at a fast loping pace, navigating the icy patches that lay in shadows with a graceful ease. Aramis always took the lead, d'Artagnan followed, placing his trust in his guard that he had made sure the path ahead was free of complications. The now former Mender had already said his goodbyes, severed the strings that tied him to the basin and was now finally making his way up the narrow path and out onto the Steppe. Of course, only an idiot would believe a few words would be enough to cut all ties to his once snowy domain, there would always be a part of d'Artagnan that felt like it belonged here, felt loyalty and a sense of duty. He just hoped Deimos knew that, should ever it need defending, should ever war litter their paths once again or hell descend upon them, one call to an icy wind and the Nightshade would return with the real meaning of hell. It was the least he could do.

For now his mismatched gaze took in his surroundings, the blank landscape of the once cold tundra was now kissed by Tall Sun's blistering lips. Stout grasses whose hardy souls leant them the strength to see out even the harshest of winters were naked to the blushing embrace, it was quite a sight, the mixture of snow and the greeness of life. d'Artagnan prefered the crunchy underfoot and a duller picture, summer did not agree with him and he did not agree with it, the landscape before him would look much better in two seasons time when death will come calling for the more fragile.

Sighing he set about the task of finding Kou, grimacing at the thought of her reaction to his recent... Life choices. Gingerly, he pushed that thought to the back of his mind, he needed to find her first, even if it took him all the way to the Worlds Edge to do so. The land that rightfully belonged to Mauja and the shade would never view it any other way. Cloven hooves brushed over stubby clumps of stubborn grasses, pools of blue and brown taking on a glowering determination. However, Aramis robbed him of anymore simmering brooding as the hell dog's words pierced his mind, black pelt coming into view as he loped back to his moon scarred friend. Sir! Straight ahead, reptile and crownless! All of the shades senses sharpened to the new information and he squinted through the sun's glare to spot the figures in the distance and cursed. Aramis, watch the sky. Don't make any sudden move until I say so. He ordered, eyeing the dragon like form with a frown of worry. Scales and wings meant fire and smoke, things he learnt to both hate and fear. Sir! The heckles along his companion's back lifted as he stalked forwards, gaze intently watching the white bonded whose appearance was niggling at the back of his mind.

d'Artagnan approached at a walk, feeling the familiar spark light a fire in his stomach at the sight of a true barehead, but the shade felt more than a niggling feeling of recognition. He knew not this stallion's name, but he had seen the pair before, most recently in a bizare fight against an earthly beast that the shade still partly thought a dream. He knew him as far back as the invasion against his former misty home and for his fight against the now Leader and then General Deimos. An enemy by all means and although the bones in his body twitched to fight, he wondered just how much this one knew of Kou and his sons.

Blemished hooves halted a few paces away, lips pressed into a narrow line as eyes attempted to bare down on the spider faced heathen before him. "You're a long way from home"
Credits: Image by Tamme

my heart’s an endless winter
              filled with rage

Use force at your own peril ;) please tag me!

Destry Posts: 95
Hidden Account atk: 5.0 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16 hh :: 4 years HP: 63.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Yseult :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Wakiya Dark

I lumbered through my home, along, cold as usual. Despite it being the peek of Tallsun, I still shiver in my skin as I creep along the white blank page, the valley left behind as I slide from the cold grasp of the Basin. My feathers twitch and twitter, ruffling them I huff, leaving a cold mist in the air. It fades, a gentle rolling cloud of vapor, destined to be nothing.

Two shadowed figures are far in the distance, and I perk my ears in curiosity, wondering what souls would dare wander into this icy tundra. The two of them hold no wings, this detail coming to me before their actual species. One of them held a bloody coat, his two glass horns near invisible on his brow. The grullo with the golden back had no wings, and he had no horns, he was but a simple equine. I nod my head, but I know all too well what is happening between the studs. Tension and a secret hatred was screaming its name through the air, making itself known. I flick my ruby eyes to the bloody soldier, raising a brow at his words, his voice gruff.

I do not speak, only stand and admire the beautiful pearly white scales of the lizard upon the equine's back. Turning my head I scan over the bloody bay, who I had spotted lumbering through the Basin on occasion. I finally open my lips, words gentle and sweet. "Greetings." I turn and bow my head to the hornless and the horned, a gentle smile on my lips. I treat the two with respect, as I would to any older figure. Reverting my red gaze to the two, I let myself sink back, relaxing.

With my mind at ease, I allow myself to think of my family, of Mother and Azarel, lying together in the Meadow... of Father, teaching me of flight and magic. Even now I could barely grasp the basics of flight, sure, I could fly but it wasn't the prettiest of sights. I flew like a visually impaired goose, wobbling and blind. I snickered, seeing myself in third person for a moment, soaring with an unsteady pattern of flight. Oh Father... if only you were here now.. I sounded like he was dead, but wasn't he? Mother made no mention of him the last we met, and I hadn't spoken to him in nearly a full year. I shake myself from my thoughts of my sire, returning to the present time.

"These soldiers are not here to kill you; They're here to protect you."
ooc: because idk
word count: 427

Picture by lieveheersbeestje

we all look for heaven and we put our love first
somethin' that we'd die for, it's our curse

A figure approaching from the north made the stallion turn his head. Black-rimmed ears pricked in curiosity, an emotion that was made scarce as the figure came closer.

Unicorn. A word like a curse, bitten off and spat out onto the ground like something foul, enough to make the grass blacken and whither from the dark implications that followed with it. Many years had passed since the stallion laid eyes upon his first spear-bearer. He had been young then, much too young; he remembered how he had frowned at the sight, looking at the creature with a mixture of pity and disgust. Later he had come to acknowledge that they were just as different in personality as equines were, that the horned race held both kindness and violence, nobility and cruel savagery - they were just like his own kin.

But somehow these elegant, armed beings just couldn't let him maintain the respect that had grown in his mind after meeting some of their finest, most noble leaders. Time and again they committed atrocities in the name of purity, actions that once had made a proud Raindancer cry - before he too took up arms to defend himself and his people, against Lace's very own brethren.

Had he not sided with their cause once, in order to break the choke-hold the Equine Empire held on the free races of the world? Had he not been dubbed a traitor to his own race, frowned upon and exiled for his association with the 'twigheads'?

Many years had passed since then, and he had thought himself free from prejudice and racist tendencies. He had believed himself above such narrow-minded foolishness, able to forgive their harsh words, their thoughtless actions, their petty arrogance.

So why was it that as he regarded the approaching unicorn, a loathsome taste rose like bile to settle on the tongue, a feeling as dark and heavy and wary as the gaze that met the baleful stare of the blood bay. It didn't show on the calm, almost serene expression of the face, went past unnoticed even as tempered muscles tensed, prepared in the face of someone he knew to belong with the fiends of the north - but surely the eyes must reveal it, no matter how much the equine tried to keep it at bay.

"Aye, I am indeed" he replied, reserved but not entirely without patience - or kindness, as strange as it felt to offer something like that to an enemy. At the very least Lace didn't want to come out as a war monger - and in his eyes there was a debt to pay the opposing forces, for using such underhanded tactics in their latest clash. "Summer's been hot this year... the climate here is more to my liking."

He couldn't help it; even when faced with a stallion that was as likely to lash out with that glittering glass horn of his as he was to keep conversing, the grulla seemed unable to contain his curiosity as he watched the other. He hadn't forgotten their previous meetings, neither the figure dancing across a battlefield, the voice of cold, harsh reason in a desperate attempt to recover what had been stolen - nor could Lace forget that he, somehow, had come to owe his life to this stallion. He had been saved once, shielded from an attack by a giant earthen monstrosity, protected by peculiar magic wielded by this nameless stranger - to his own surprise and humiliation.

Did the unicorn remember that too? Was he going to take back that one action of kindness now, as their paths had crossed again? Would they be spilling blood on this green meadow, battle until life had been stolen beneath the radiance of the summer sun?

"It's a shame..." the silver-maned mused quietly. "Pity, that there must be so much hatred. Imagine what could be created, if only everyone could get along."

The look he gave the other stallion grew regretful, almost saddened for a moment; then the gold-dusted knight turned away to watch a dark filly as she approached, offering a faint, distant smile at her in return of the greeting.

The Store | The Warden

d'Artagnan the Nightshade Posts: 364
Aurora Basin General atk: 6 | def: 9 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 12 HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Aramis :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire & Superspeed imi
d'Artagnan the Nightshade
But with the beast inside, there's no where we can hide

It's amazing that they actually get dumber.

d'Artagnan remarked to his bonded, his voice dull and uninspired down the concealed, metaphorical string tied to his hell dog that was ever so sensitive to raw emotion, or lack of it in this instance. The Nightshade was referring to the hornless travelling so close to the basin, he knew this one had been before, so what did he want? Not that it should matter to him any more, d'Artagnan was no longer a vip, but loyalty had planted it's roots deep and there was still a large part of him that demanded to know why this heathen thought it necessary to dither on what once were his borders. If one was to be highly critical, the Steppe did not belong to the unicorns, but the Doctor cared not for intricate formalities and being in the gaze of this blockhead highly offended him. Eyeing the equine, he wondered if a sharp prod near the more exotic parts would remove the unsightly stud from his path, but then there was the problem of the dragon and the whole idea became suddenly bothersome. The familiar presence of Aramis touched his mind then, a faint rolling of amusement touching the murder's senses if I may be so bold Sir, perhaps they're just not scared of you anymore. d'Artagnan's gaze sharpened into silent outrage at the thought and he snorted rather loudly, not really caring for his audience. In future you may not be so bold. The shade retorted and then proceeded to look offended over the whole matter, which only increased his bonded's amusement.

Contrastive eyes returned to his fellow comrade in arms, for monster slaying that was, with a gaze that narrowed as crimson lobes quivered to hear the words cascade from his cobwebbed companion's steel lips. To the Nightshade's surprise the response was rather... tame. A trip to cool down was his only reason for drifting into dangerous land? Strange; but then again weren't all bare heads enigma's?

The Nightshade remained quiet for the rest of the dribble and shook his head when the the familiar, nameless sap stopped talking. "What a boring world you speak of." His own greying lips had turned into a grimace as he wondered if the lack of horn made them more... Soft brained? "Do you get taught this crap from birth?" His voice turned into dull disbelief, the grimace remaining, but his eyes were deadly serious. "Always the same sad eyes too, like you have anything to be so sad about." The last words d'Artagnan spat out, disgust finally making its way onto his features. The shade had never been known for his concealment ability, everything you wanted to know you could read from his face.

Lastly he noticed the filly, she looked slightly older than his two missing sons, a proud crown atop her head, but the novelty was blemished by what grew from her sides. Yet, even though he despised her from the start, Mesec was all that came to mind when he watched this filly. All his failures in one, simple picture. His gaze cast downwards and a long, drawn out sigh left his lungs as one word quietly left his maw. "Pity."

@[Lace] @[Destry]
Credits: Image by Tamme

my heart’s an endless winter
              filled with rage

Use force at your own peril ;) please tag me!

Destry Posts: 95
Hidden Account atk: 5.0 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16 hh :: 4 years HP: 63.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Yseult :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Wakiya Dark

I was dully noted in the minds of the stallions, for they seemed trapped in their own world's of tension and past hatred. I was but a filly, they must have thought, unable to understand what ran behind their hate. But in truth I knew all of the happening, of the beginning of their dispute. I had picked up things in the Basin, talks of the older times, when unicorns ruled proudly over the Edge. Of course, that had ended when an outcast band fought for their rights to own the misty cliff, leaving the unicorns homeless. Mother was one of the many who fought, left with a scar, a constant reminder of her loss. When I was younger I would stare at it, occasionally tracing it with my dark muzzle when Mother was dozing off or just not caring. I take note of the scars running around the grullo's body, wondering if one or two of them were earned in the same way as Mother's.

The Grullo simply gave a smile in return to my greeting, a frustration growing deep in my heart. Was it all because I was a foal, a mere child to them that they do not bother with me? Should I be grateful he at lest payed a moment of his attention to me? I huff, displeased that they could be thinking of me as a simple, little, stupid child. And then he, the bloody red man, says one, single word. "Pity".

"What's a pity, mister?" Under my breath, I whisper one word. "Me?" I had turned into a foul mood, almost spontaneously. I'm fairly sure I was just worked up because this was the first bit of attention I had gotten in a long time, and they were barely giving me the attention I wanted. I flick my tail in frustration, letting it hit my hocks with a sharp stinging.

"These soldiers are not here to kill you; They're here to protect you."
ooc: -
word count: -

Picture by lieveheersbeestje

we all look for heaven and we put our love first
somethin' that we'd die for, it's our curse

The bay snorted, and Lace turned an ear backwards in mild annoyance over the bitter words. Why was it that the unicorns always chose to wallow in old griefs, like a pig in dung? Did it bring them pleasure to clutch their wounded pride to their chests, like children protecting a favorite toy?

"Oh, and you do?" he returned, the look of the gilded eyes cooling as his words were beaten down with the flick of a tail. "You look fine to me though. Healthy, strong, all limbs in place... Tell me, unicorn from Aurora Basin, what do you lack in life that you need so badly to take from the rest of us?"

Maybe it had been stupid to think he could have a civilized conversation with one of them. The animosity practically reeked from the blood-coated stallion and as dual-colored eyes turned to the hybrid lass the grullo took a step forward, instinctively wanting to protect the filly. Her words sounded hurt to him, yet tired as if she was used to it; it made the heart of the equine ache, and as he turned to look at her the expression on his face softened.

"There's nothing pitiful about you, child" he assured; a quick glance towards the bay seemed sharp as the lash of a whip in comparison. "To me, he seems the sadder of you; seeing as he is unable to see clearly what is before him. Maybe he never saw the gods up close, or realized how imperfect he is when standing next to one."

There was a gentle tease in the words as he uttered them, some daredevil part of him playing with fire as he tested just how easily provoked this unicorn was. Lace wasn't thirsty for blood or eager to drag his ass into a fight, but at the same time he wasn't about to just stand and listen while a child was insulted before his very eyes. The gaze was direct as he lifted the head higher and watched the other stallion, cool yet unyielding - he wasn't about to be provoked into doing anything stupid. A battle of words would be enough - if this horse was man enough to face him.

Dim vales- and shadowy floods-
And cloudy-looking woods,
Whose forms we can't discover
For the tears that drip all over!
Huge moons there wax and wane-
Again- again- again-
- bg - table - image -
The Store | The Warden