the Rift

[OPEN] when i was young i knew everything

Roux Posts: 57
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 5 :: Orangemoon HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Edison :: Red Kite :: Rage Semper

There was something so different about these mountains despite that the very same silvery light of the moon fell on them now as it had always. The difference was truly within the heart of the colt, standing at the foot of his homeland with a bitter taste in his mouth. Icy winds lapped at his mane and tail, pulling tendrils to stroke over his brother that stood so close to him. Their travels had pulled them away from their captors' home, but hesitation grappled Roux's heart as they waited at the base of the mountains. "What if they didn't rescue us because they don't want us anymore?" Roux asked his brother in a hushed tone, lowering his head and turning his silver eyes to rest on his obsidian twin. "Mother only came because she was caught, too, Sacre." He wondered if his brother was thinking the same thing as him. Did the herd care for them? More specifically, did the herd care for him? Or was he looked on as the Doctor's weak son, the blind one that needed guidance and protection--another mouth to feed that could not pull its own weight. The thoughts crippled him, solidifying his grey hooves to the snowy ground. He swallowed hard and it tasted like ash.

Suddenly he felt so cold. The wind was cold and it grew harsher, thrashing wildly from the east. It smacked against his side and he narrowed his eyes, eyelashes protecting the silvers from stray pieces of wild ice. He did not need injury to his already broken eyes. The World's Edge had been warmer, such a better climate, and though his limbs yearned for the warmth and comfort of the hot springs that fueled the Basin, Roux could not move. "Sacre, why do I feel so divided?" Why do I feel like we don't belong anywhere? Roux turned his face away from his brother, eying the landscape from which they had come. Then he looked down at his hooves, his brother's in his sideview, and he suddenly wished he was as brave as Sacre was. His brother lived life gallantly on his cloven hooves, ready to break through to new things. Roux had always been the coward of the pair, willing to stand behind his sibling quietly.

[THIS IS TERRIBLE AMG IM SO SORRY OK -- @[Sacre] ]

ROUX
Million stars up in the sky
Formed a tiger's eye
That looked down on my face,
Out of time and out of place

image by msn678@flickr

Sacre Posts: 274
World's Edge Emissary atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 5 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Inari :: Red Fox :: Heal & Ríona :: Common Kitsune :: Electric imi
Sacre
I'd rather kiss the ground than kiss a starless sky
It was quiet, Sacre could almost sense his twin's troubles and he could not deny that he shared the same, deep thinking silence. They were going home, it was supposed to be joyous, yet all the boy felt was a lost feeling of detraction. He listened to Roux's words, face softening in the cool silver shine of the moon's gaze, honest questions from an honest boy. He considered them, glancing down to the snowy floor and watching his own hooves make steady tracks on legs longer than they were when he'd first left the Basin. The child didn't understand many things and the confusion made him angry, but the time Sacre had spent in 'captivity' and the added months that now almost made him a yearling, lent a new kind of perspective. "Perhaps they knew we wouldn't be harmed, perhaps something more pressing was happening or perhaps... You're right." He turned to Roux then, placing a comforting nose upon his bloodied hide, the sight of his twin in distress made him angry and sad. Sacre had once dreamed of a world where he could keep him safe, but something told him that maybe... Maybe Roux would not appreciate it. "I was born this way--saying you can fix me is like saying you could take away my horn. My eyes are already a part of who I am."

Who you are. Who he was.

Sacre had been insensitive in his blind want to make him better when really, the child didn't need fixing. Roux was perfectly capable without his twin's interference and now the stained son understood that Roux didn't need anything. In fact, he probably saw more than Sacre did. So now, the ebonite boy did not watch his brother with worried eyes or wish for a world where he could keep him safe. No, Sacre walked with his mother's blue pools fixed forwards, knowing that Roux was right beside him and as able as any other colt.

"As long as we have each other" with that he lifted his nose from his brother's pelt and smiled grimly, frowning as he contemplated the last question Roux had spoken. "What do you mean? Do you think we should have stayed in the land of dragons?" His voice had taken a much more thoughtful turn to it, there was nothing bad about the Worlds Edge, but there was nothing particularly good either. Yet, one could say the same for the Basin. Was both the Throat and the Foothills like this as well?

Was the world truly so warped?
image credits

There's something wretched about this
Something so precious about this

❚ Force permitted!
❚ Please tag me!

NPC Posts: 298
User-based Random Event
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Something catches your eyes as you stand there, afraid to move on but too stubborn to move back. It's a small distraction at first, a ripple in water, a leaf falling from a branch. Then it is loud and all at once, screeching and demanding your attention greedily. A bird stands over sticks, fallen and broken in one massive lump, and you realize that it is her nest. It must have been shoved from its perch, you assume, and you stare at the flailing, frustrated mother as she protects four broken eggs and one whole.

What do you do?

Roux Posts: 57
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 5 :: Orangemoon HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Edison :: Red Kite :: Rage Semper

Roux stood silently for a long while, staring down at his mismatched, solid hooves. They were packed with the snow of the mountains and his soles were weary with the hefty journey, and all of his muscles screamed for him to make the final ascent and go home, but his confused cognition kept him still. He sighed, the cold breath slipping through his nostrils with a puff of condensation. "I don't feel as if I should stay anywhere--I was born in the Basin and they care for me there when I need it. In the Edge I had mother for most of my time there, but once I found you and we left it was you who cared for me when I couldn't do it on my own." Roux lifted his head and looked up towards the diamond-splattered sky. "I just feel like my heart belongs to no land, and no land needs me." What troubling thoughts for such a young creature. Who gave this youngster so much contemplative wisdom that mixed darkly and flammable with his foolish childishness? Roux shifted his weight and curled his neck to rest his chin on Sacre's withers. His blood-stained brother, though so pale and colorless to his dayblind eyes, had always been his sounding board when he needed it. Now, he needed the guidance of his older twin. "Am I being too dumb, brother? Should we just go home? I mean, we've made it this far, and..." Roux trailed off, ears flicking back at the sound of the screeching.

When the sound intensified, Roux lifted his head and turned his body completely around, rump to Sacre's shoulder, and lowered his head to narrow his sights on the flapping, screaming bird. "Wh-what does it want?" Asked the colt, suddenly his voice shaking with the hint of nervousness that had been tugging at the chords for far too long. He was enraptured by the sorrowful mother, standing over cracked and dead babies. "C-can we help it?" The flailing bird tugged at the strings of his heart and he found himself taking a few steps forward, tentative, with his head lowering to the ground. He wondered if the bird would reach out with her talons and take her fury out of his face.

The colt stopped short of the bird, maybe a few lengths of Aramis away from her, and lifted his head to look down on the nest. There was one egg still alive, still whole, and a warmth spread through Roux's chest. There was something he needed to do to help this bird, to help this egg. Blinking, Roux shook his head and stomped a forehoof on the icy surface, "Sacre, what should we do?" He asked, turning his head briefly to look towards his twin before turning back towards the bird.

ROUX
Million stars up in the sky
Formed a tiger's eye
That looked down on my face,
Out of time and out of place

image by msn678@flickr

Sacre Posts: 274
World's Edge Emissary atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 5 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Inari :: Red Fox :: Heal & Ríona :: Common Kitsune :: Electric imi
Sacre
I'd rather kiss the ground than kiss a starless sky
Sacre's once so strong shoulders faltered and quivered, his gaze dropping downwards as his heart twisted, teeth clenching and his eyes tightening. It angered and saddened him to no end that his brother thought such things of himself, he hated the world for making him think such things and lastly, he hated himself for not having the ability to make him feel better. He wondered sometimes if Roux truly knew how much Sacre cared for him, that if he could, the crimson stained child would bring down the stars just for him to touch. Conquer the world so he didn't have to choose. At the same time he knew Roux needed to learn alone, to walk alone and to 'see' by himself. Perhaps then he would feel more independant, more freedom. However, the right thing was hard to put into words for Sacre, selfishness was never something he'd found in himself until now and it latched onto him like a bad disease. "I need you. I need by little twin brother" he whispered, gaze returning to Sacre with a small smile on his dark lips. "perhaps... Perhaps you should travel, feel the world for what it is under your hooves. Find purpose in adventure." He offered a little more loudly this time, trying his best to mask his voice from worry that plagued his mind. The boy took a leaf from his own book, Sacre had always been one for adventure, though he had found little hope in his short years. Maybe Roux would.

Ears twitched as his merlot twin trailed off and something catches the blues of his eyes, it was almost overlookable until the screeching started. A bird it seemed had lost her nest and fallen to the ground, littering it with a scattering of broken eggs apart from one. A small tragedy in the larger scheme, but Sacre still looked on with wide eyes full of shock, the deaths of her precious young would live with the boy forever, no matter how insignificant it was.

Roux asked questions and the cogs of his young mind set to work as he frowned and contemplated for a few moments before taking in a deep breath. The mother would be hard work, but they couldn't leave the egg out in the open like it was. "We'll have to save the last egg, if we leave it, there's a very good chance it'll be eaten." He thought for a couple moments more, gaze shifting from the mother to the egg before he decided on something that might work. "You have a gentler touch than me, see if you can retrieve the egg, I'll distract the mother." Sacre grimiced through his last words as his eyes now focussed on the distressed mother who could probably take his eyes out if he was not careful. The boy started forwards, hoping Roux was well on his way, and began his diversion act. He attempted an almost herding affect, trying to get the mother to be more concerned about himself than his twin approaching from elsewhere.
image credits

There's something wretched about this
Something so precious about this

❚ Force permitted!
❚ Please tag me!