the Rift

[OPEN] this is a warning shot

Azulee Posts: 62
Dragon's Throat Warrior atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 hands :: 6 years :: Orangemoon HP: 65.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Valda

Feathers slid expertly over the raucous breath of an ice-cold bora wind, high above the misgivings of a far-flung earth. Eyes whose vibrancy rivaled the distant fingers of lightning which crackled in the distant nighttime horizon in their brilliance, wandered across this splendor of creation set before her, like a king surveying his birthright. They admired the earth's gentle curves from a perch too high in altitude to remember any grudges or regrets, traced the stony shoulders of mountains where their vastness seemed so inconsequential compared to all the things you could see from up here, saw hills dotted by trees and an endless red desert far below her. She dared a smile, felt the cold air caress her teeth, the inside of her mouth in a kiss like winter and freedom and feral passion: she was home, and never had that hot red desert seemed more inviting. For a moment she was suspended 'twixt the angry black clouds, static unfurling from the tips of her wings like pale writing snakes; she was an electric Medusa, wild hair billowing in every direction as if it had a life of its own.

She dove down.

Wind whistled like harpies against her flattened ears and she pressed her wings close to her body, letting gravity be her mistress for a few fatal seconds as her dark form hurtled through the storm like some burnt comet. Black skies turned to white turned to blue, and all the while she plummeted, not ungracefully, to what would be a certain demise until her white-rimmed wings unfurled to catch her several meters from the red sand. Then, almost daintily, she flitted down lightly the remaining distance, letting her hooves land upon the scorching sand as carefully as she had never been. "Cirrus?" she called at once, feeling as her voice died in the stale, hot air. "Kri? Midas?" Electric blue eyes scanned the desolate surroundings; she felt lonely. Was it even wise to abandon Mother to come back? "Anyone?"

i've got your wild-eyed ways.

credits

[open!]
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

My mentor was gone, both of them. A father who had fled this world to soon, and a mother departed from her grief. Not to mention that both daughters had disappeared as well. It was all very depression and if we dwelled long upon the lengthening list of absent, ye would drive thyself crazy. I tried not to think about those things; instead Fina had me focus on that sun that was blisteringly hot across my spine. Or urging me to curl frame in a death spinning spiral through heaven, dancing on the breeze. Nothing was better than the wind beneath feathers, filling not only the length of your body—but the soul within. It was on this random patrolling day that my gaze just so happened to catch sight of certain wandering lass.

Her dark frame was easily seen because of its contrasting ink elements that were misplaced in a land of crimson and cream. For a moment said girl was mistaken for Shadow, our Sleuth; nay though, as I circled lower the mistress who stood below certainly was not the stealthy woman. “Anyone?” Wings slowed their movements, stretching before slipping inward to descend my frame gently upon the sand. Gold pooled where my hooves kissed earth, eyes flicked up—ears pressed ahead and a gracious smile creased my fatherly face. It took a moment for me to recognize the storm colored markings across her pelt, “Azulee?” Pleasure was shown through a widening grin and dancing legs that drew me closer to the daughter of my eldest mentor, “Welcome home dear sister,”unmarred muzzle tipped toward her; aiming to solidify our meeting.
Our colours come alive when I collide with you
with you, with you
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan

No, it wasn't Shadow who stalked across the desert sands and called for the presence of others, some long since lost to time and distance. The raven wasn't too far away though. Returned from the southern parts of the herd-land she had been pacing back and forth in restless impatience, haunted by more than just the stale air and a pounding headache caused by the pressure of the approaching storm. She longed for it to release its fury upon them, shower the earth in life-giving rain and whip the desert sands with lightning and wind...

She stopped in her tracks and raised the head with a jerk as an unfamiliar voice came drifting on a smothering hot gust. Frowning the small pegasus spun around, legs stretching out in a rapid lope to gain speed, and along with a crack of thunder in the distance she unfurled the ebony wings and took to the sky. It went without saying that the unfamiliar presence would already have been spotted by someone. Their warriors were vigilant, perhaps more so now than usually because of the sudden decrease in numbers and the revealed frailty of their union; things that had been addressed, but that didn't just fix themselves by being aware of them. Without doubt her presence was unnecessary, but Shadow needed something to busy herself with, something to take the mind off her own problems.

Beating feathered appendages to a steady rhythm she soon found herself passing over two figures on the ground. One was familiar, the painted frame of Midas a welcome sight despite the pang of guilt she felt as eyes touched on the sultan; the other was not, and as she withdrew the wings slightly to speed up her descent towards the ground Skuggi felt curiosity and intrigue chase away the gloom - if only ever so temporary.

The mare touched down on safe distance from the others with slightly more force than was strictly necessary, hard hooves skidding and spraying up cascades of red sand before her. With a throw of the head she adjusted the balance expertly, movements deft and confident despite the speed and force, eyes flaring with a wild pride and intelligence as they immediately found the bulk of the stranger. Feathered wings contracted quickly to settle against the obsidian flanks, but not so fast that she was able to hide the unusual swell of the belly. Not too big yet, not actually hindering her movements; but even considering the season and her comfortable life it went beyond simply having gorged on too much grass.

Hoping beyond hope that Midas wouldn't have noticed, the short mare approached with a curious tilt of the head, noticing the warmth with which her herd-brother viewed the younger girl.
"You're acquainted?" she asked and came to a halt before the two, violent eyes clipping in the peculiar, bright light of the day as she looked between them. "Name's Skuggi" she introduced herself and offered the gray fae a curt nod, "I don't believe we've crossed paths before... "

Caught a bird and let it go, had a rope and don't you know
When I pulled it down, it settled on the ground
Caught a bird and in a trap, had a lot to give back
When the sun came by you opened up your eyes
image credits

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed

Azulee Posts: 62
Dragon's Throat Warrior atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 hands :: 6 years :: Orangemoon HP: 65.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Valda

Lightning child did not have to wait long until the first scarabs emerged from this wretched sand (had it always been so irksome?), or rather, fell from the sky. White-rimmed ears tilted backwards as they caught the sound of wind beneath well-oiled feathers, barely a sound in itself but rather a vibration, a feeling. She looked up, electric eyes squinting against the sun as they caught a dark form spiraling down toward her: she immediately identified him as Midas, his handsome phoenix in tow. A smile lit up her face, crackling onto dried lips like bolts of lightning across a dark sky. "Midas!" she cried, watching him land. The last time they had met was a long time ago; she felt as if it had been a lifetime since her last time in this barren place so full of life.

He offered his muzzle, and she brushed her own gently against it in reply, their whiskers quivering against each other in a manner that made her smile. "Thank you," she said, withdrawing her nose to better see the paint. A moment of thoughtful silence passed, which found her eyeing the red horizon eagerly, until her gaze found his once more, and it seemed that all of the youthful joyousness had been wiped from it. "Where is Cirrus?" she queried, words tumbling from her mouth urgently; her sister must know about their mother. To think that they had been apart from each other so long made Azulee all the more anxious for a reunion—she was afraid that Cirrus might think them dead, or worse. Would her sister be angry, confused, disheartened?

Her worries were interrupted when a dark mare came into view—a stranger with queer eyes that reminded her of mountain flowers. She landed with the avian grace that all of their kind bore, whether truly skillful or naught. There was something odd about the little black mare; her flanks seemed unusually swollen for one who dwelled in the desert, or she assumed. Azulee's lips pulled back into something that might have been a smile, though it did not show in her bright eyes. "Of course we are," she said, unhostile but not warm; she felt tired, worn, as if all the excitement and dreams she had for her home had vanished. Her eyes flicked to Midas, and then back to Skuggi. "My name is Azulee," she said more quietly, "I was born here."

i've got your wild-eyed ways.

credits

[open!]
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Much had happened since her father’s death. The rising and falling of hero’s and hovels; abilities and lives had forever been changed. It had been shortly after his demise that my world was sent into a spiral of misfortune—sprinkled with just enough joy to keep my mind sane. Shadow had been trailing the border as well, her wing beats were loud enough for both myself and young Azulee to hear. Before more could be said, the Sleuth had landed and was stalking forward. My eyes turned toward her with a widening smile gracing my lips in welcome; there was a swelling across her breast and the slightest of roundness in the belly.

Having been though the throes of pregnancy with a partner didn’t help me guess in this moment that my dear friend was with child. Nor would any other experience. It was easy to see that this Tallsun had been merciful. There was ample foliage for everyone, and some had filled their bellies wider than others. Healthy, it was good to have well fed mares and stallions.

Shadow came to the point and broaching a question, eying the stormling that I stood near. They conversed for a moment, before I was allowed to intervene in a brief lapse of silence, “Cirrus hasn’t been seen in many a moon, though Onni might be at liberty to answer ye better.” Apologetically I offered Shadow, or Skuggi as she was sometimes called a nod, “This is the youngest child of the great Ardent. My first mentor.” A soft wave of sadness pooled from behind my eyes, but it was quickly chased aside. There were other things we needed to talk about, “Azulee, your mother? How fairs she?”

Our colours come alive when I collide with you
with you, with you
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan

A thoughtful hum vibrated from the chest as she listened to their explanations. Not for the first time did the short mare realize how little she knew about the lands she lived in - something that, for a horse of her profession, felt quite embarrassing. Still, they were obliging enough to provide her with information, no matter how fractioned, and as she was far from unintelligent the sleuth had little trouble understanding the situation. The way the storm-gray filly asked for Cirrus, the apparent disappointment that she wasn't around, how Midas asked for the mother... The conclusion she drew was that the two were related somehow, especially considering the information that this was the birthland of the large-winged wakiya.

"Cirrus invited me here close to the end of Frostfall this year" she offered, giving Midas a sidelong glance that was part nod in response to his explanation, part question; had he known this? She didn't think she'd told him, but she wasn't sure. "I haven't seen her since then though, she hasn't been present for the herd meetings..." Come to think of it, this should have been a cause for concern at a much earlier stage. It wasn't the first horse to go missing from their ranks. Sumati and Avalon had disappeared as well, as had Hector - none of them horses in position to just up and leave, and so their absences had warranted thorough searches from the informants. No traces had been found however, something that was both puzzling and faintly reassuring. After all, if neither bodies nor rumors had turned up, then the chances were they still lived.

Listening with half an ear as the others conversed, Shadow let her mind drift along with the gaze, taking her eyes off the filly to watch how lightning danced in the distance, mirroring the stormy coat of the girl. The heat was oppressive, making the black mare long to be back in the cool waters of the Oasis... but in this weather perhaps it wouldn't be very responsible to dowse herself in liquids, especially not the biggest gathering of water in the region. It would be asking for trouble...

Caught a bird and let it go, had a rope and don't you know
When I pulled it down, it settled on the ground
Caught a bird and in a trap, had a lot to give back
When the sun came by you opened up your eyes
image credits

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed