the Rift

[PRIVATE] Field trip to winter [Konstantin]

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah

Did she come up north again to see if she could find him? Probably. It was enough to know that he was close, that somehow they had found each other again. Somewhere in Helovia, he existed, and that was enough for her. She suspected they might move on again in time – if only he would say goodbye this time.

But Aly did not make it a habit of troubling herself with concerns about the future.

There were far too many possibilities to worry herself over – she would deal with them when they came. The present was far more interesting. Her stay in Helovia was already longer than expected – perhaps she would leave one day. It was hard to think of trading this beautiful place for somewhere crawling with demons.

Her mind was still unmade about the decision and was unlikely to reach a conclusion anytime soon. So in the mean time she would work on exploring Helovia, learning all she could. She rather hoped that she would not discover any sinister secrets lurking underneath. Could anything be worse than demons?

Oh, but how could she think of such a thing in such beautiful areas as the ones she was discovering were.

She had come north, as mentioned, because she wondered if maybe she would see him. Travelling further north this time, she found herself in a breathtaking land at what seemed to be the northern most reaches. Despite the fact that it was mid-afternoon, the wind was chilly and the sun did little to help. But summer was here nonetheless – snow receding and little patches of hardy grasses and stunted trees. Even here, in one of the harshest environments, there was plant life. Now tell me that’s not pretty cool.

Without a winter coat, staying here too long would be uncomfortable but if she kept moving, it might not be so bad. At least that was the plan – do a little walk about and then make her way further south. It may be lingering just above freezing but after the heat of the summer in the other regions, this was a bit of a shock.

The plan changed as her attention became fixated on one of the features growing out of the hard soil. Her wings provided a little insulation for her core as she went closer to the shrubby tree – a little spruce that barely reached her knee. In a completely (not) out-of-character way, she forgot about her surroundings and instead examined the fantastic little tree through smiling green eyes. “Well aren’t you a magnificent little thing?”

please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Konstantin Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
I was used to being cold. Long nights spent huddled against the wind, half-starved and (almost) utterly alone...I stopped feeling it. In self-defense, perhaps, I even learned to enjoy it. It was in my blood, after all.

I wandered across the steppes, scouring the jagged teeth of the mountaintops with a wistful eye and not quite seeing any of it. My mind was already far afield, racing recklessly along shale-strewn goat trails at the top of the world, courting death and deeper things with laughter on my lips and a flame in my heart. It was not always so bad to be unstuck in time, I thought, if only I knew enough to let the darkness in my memories die.

But what would light be then?

An observant sort might look at me drifting aimlessly through the steppes and guess that I was waiting for something. Gone were the days when I might wear a path in the earth with the impatience of my childish needs; age afforded me some semblance of subtlety to go along with my finesse. Subtlety, as it turns out, is boring.

A distraction presented itself in the form of a half-remembered voice: Well aren’t you a magnificent little thing? I turned, eyes widening automatically in surprise.

If I had said that I knew Alysanne, I would be lying. I knew of her, had met her, had the singularly odd experience of being both father to her child and not (actually not, though even science could never say), but that was all. I had not stood with her under cold starlight and groomed her feathers into careful order. We had never shared the night sky. That was fine; I knew her scent from the channel of Sasha’s neck. I knew her by accolades murmured to me in my ancestral tongue.

I entertained a nearly imperceptible smile before approaching.

“Why yes I am,” I replied with a playful flourish of my head. If I must wait, I thought, at least I needn’t wait alone.

That voice, which was all at once both his and not even close. Which meant there was one other it could belong to. If she was happy to see the tree that grew at latitudes beyond it’s range, she was thrilled to look up and see who it was that had spoken. Raising her head away from the little plant, a warm smile spread through those bright green eyes. “Hello Konstantin.” She wondered briefly if he recognized her – not because she looked different, but because they had only met the once. She might be surprised, even flattered, at the idea of Aleksandr speaking to his brother about her – but was there anything the pair did not share with one another?

Although she had only met him briefly, she felt as though she knew him fairly well. It had always been her intention to seek him out again – it felt incomplete to know one so well (relatively speaking) and the other so poorly.

Seeing him up close for the first time in a while brought to mind just how much they looked a like. If she did not know better, she would have given him a much more… affectionate greeting. But she knew – or believed she did – the differences between them.

After all, there was little playful about one of them.

“I was wondering if I’d cross paths with his other half.” Much as she cared for Aleksandr, she understood someone else would always come first for him. Perhaps she should long for more but she truly did not mind – it was just one of the things she loved about him. She didn’t want someone that put her first - she fulfilled that need with her own twin. “It’s good to see you, but I’m afraid you’re just not as magnificent as this tree.” With a flash of a playful smile before an exaggerated thoughtful expression, she looked between the two - adding “Well, perhaps a close second.”

made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Unregistered
“Hi,” I said.

My eloquence knows no equal.

By way of humoring the painted mare, I tilted my head and moved in to examine the spruce more closely. The earth had never been my thing: I enjoyed flowers and trees and the like but did not appreciate them the way Alysanne must have. I only had a heart for deep space and the cold, watchful eyes of night. My gaze slipped past the plant, alighting instead upon her face as she continued studying it, and I pursed my lips nervously before affecting a soft smile.

I knew enough of her to feel guilty, but not enough of myself to understand why.

Was she upset? Hurt? As selfish as I was, I’d never dwelt much upon the consequences my actions had for others. Every action and sacrifice seemed good – necessary, even – and I had endured greater suffering in the flight from Delphi so many months ago without fretting over the feelings of those we’d left behind. So why did I worry now?

My brother, of course.

Isn’t it always?

I wanted to run away, so I gathered to myself the most important things in my life and departed like dust on the wind. It had not occurred to me until much later that perhaps he had not entirely shared my desires.

“You’re right,” I said slowly, “I’m not magnificent.” And I looked directly at her across the scrubby little tree and flashed her a tight-lipped smile.

At the sound of his voice, she looked away from the little plant. In a second, that bright silly grin vanished and Alysanne’s attention was entirely on him. A small frown creased her delicate face as she responded in an equally small voice. “Wait, do you really believe that?” It was hard to tell, perhaps he was jesting, but she didn’t think so. Instantly the regret over her joke spread through her, making her feel absolutely dreadful.

Wonderful. She was thrilled about seeing Konstantin again and already she had put her hoof in her mouth.

It had not been her intention, after all, to cause harm or bring anything more than a laugh from him. She forgot, it would seem, just how similar the dark twins could be. With a shake of her head, a sad little laugh born of frustration (funny how they brought out that rare emotion in her) preceded the next question. “Why is it that the two of you cannot see what the rest of us see?” She knew she wasn’t the only one; otherwise she might be content to label herself a fool.

Well, she was a fool. Right down to her core, it seemed, but of all the things to be a fool over – she was glad it had been love.

Hesitantly, she reached out with the intention to bump him with her muzzle in a soft gesture, as he stood near her and the little tree she had forgotten about. Wary – for though it was her instinct to comfort in such a way she would not make contact if he flinched away. So quick to assume blame, so quick to comfort.

Pulling back she continued with obvious sincerity. “I’m sorry, Konstantin. It was supposed to be a joke. Guess I’m a little rusty.” A little smile there, at the end, as she watched him carefully.

made by the lovely tamme

Unregistered
My heart was a sea in a storm: each bleak, treacherous swell breaking with an icy chill against its hot chamber walls. Seeing Alysanne frown, I softened, eyes widening guiltily. "Nononono, I didn't mean-."

I could not put to words what I saw in the pair of us; it would be as good as a confession. How does one describe the races through deep forests, the laughter, the volumes worth of words we shared in perfect silence, the blood and bruises and meticulous care? Had she ever woken up in a cold sweat, entrenched in a persistent nightmare? Perhaps she had.

A warrior queen bent upon my destruction showed me that people are complicated the night she protected me so fervently against Fire's madness. My brother and I are no different; nor is Alysanne.

Never let them see the damage.

I leaned into the painted mare's gesture, inviting the touch. Sasha might have been aloof and reserved, treating every touch but mine with something not unlike suspicion, but I shared myself far more readily. A long time ago - when I broke us - I stole his warmth and so much else from him. She would not smile at me that way if she ever learned even a few of my sins.

At least I could be thankful for her ignorance.

"Think nothing of it," I reassured her, reaching out lightly to tousle the feathers of her near wing and flashing an easier smile than before, "I'm being silly. It's just wonderful that you're here." It wasn't a lie. "Sasha is so very fond of you."

This silly little Pegasus was so easily persuaded. Well, for the most part. Perhaps she was doomed to walk on eggshells around the twins she found so delightful (in their own, strange way) – if only she could get through a conversation with either of them without offending or making a fool of herself. But Konstantin accepted her gesture and reassured her.

Whether it would actually do the trick was an entirely different matter. Worries seemed to be clinging to her more than they had in the past. Was this life outside the happy bubble she grew up in? “I really am sorry.” She could not help but offer again, both for her previous statement and in general just making a complete mess of their conversation already. All over a plant.

Which was still magnificent - just not as important at the moment.

Not entirely unwillingly, the comment about his brother brought forth such a bright smile in those green eyes – though all Konstantin would have had to do was merely mention his brother and a similar result would have been granted. "Is he? Well at least he tells one of us.” How easily that could be a bitter comment, but from Aly it was light and easy – a joke, almost, as if she had not learned her lesson moments ago. Since the start she had accepted that Sasha could and would speak more freely with his twin than he would with anyone else. Should it bother her? To be second place did not seem so bad; silver was still a prize. But then for her it was not judged in terms of winning, losing or the places achieved. Purely content that in some form she existed to him.

Besides, in so many words he actually had told her – had he not?

Though the confirmation from an outside (well, relatively) party was appreciated.

Still, wary from her last attempt to make a joke, it seemed important to make a little explanation so he would not think her bitter. “I’m glad you two have each other.” It was hard to imagine one without the other. Impossible even, they complimented each other so perfectly. Perhaps, being a twin herself, allowed the ability to appreciate their relationship more than she might have otherwise. “I’m very fond of him too.” Not that it was any secret, certainly. The confession was easy for her, much easier she suspected than it might have been for him.

Tempting as it was to ask after Sasha, she hesitated on that matter and instead asked after the twin in her company now – which would have probably been a wiser starting point than what she had chose. “How are you liking Helovia? Gotten yourself into any trouble yet?”

made by the lovely tamme