the Rift

Somewhere I Call Home.

Cassanchi Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
The damp air was crisp and refined yet refreshing and comforting for the suffering former prince. The forest offered a familiar scent of wavering leaves and lushes green grass. The trees were twisted in heavy vines, barricading and sheltering the newcomer. Cassanchi finally allowed his rustic brown body to collapse from exhaustion, sprawling out on the ever so inviting comfort of foliage. His ears turned to listen to the euphoric melody of chattering birds and rustling branches.

Maybe this will be home, he thought quietly.

Cass' body finally and visibly began to relax. His muscles slowly became less defined in the early morning sun. His heavy, burning eyes finally began to shut.

SNAP! The former tree limb shouted towards Cassanchi however, this did little to startle the large beast. He reluctantly lifted his head in the direction of the new nuisance. He sighed as he firmly spoke,
"Hello.. Can I help you."

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin

As she so often did, the girl almost bounced as she moved through the forest. Her trot was light and airy, a reflection of the girl's attitude and personality. She traveled on a trail she had walked many times before, seeing trees she could almost call friends for how many times she had been here. There was something about this place that always put her in a good mood. Today, even the burning heat of the summer could not keep her down. The girl was determined, despite the slight dampness that was building up on her fur, to have a good day today. Too many days in the past few months had been incredibly boring, or downright terrible. This would not be one of them.

As she moved so carelessly through the land, like she always did, the girl kept her head to the sky, watching the sun begin its daily trek across the blue expanse. Unfortunately, this left her quite open to clumsy behavior. Like a magnet, the girl attracted trouble and this young morning was no exception. She crashed quite ungracefully into a tree branch, breaking the thing almost completely off of the poor sapling. Startled by the sound, Kahlua skittered to the side a few steps and eyed the tree as though it had done something wrong.

Suddenly, the mare's wrongful vexation with the shrubbery was interrupted. A voice called out, a stallion's voice, Hello... Can I help you. Kahlua could not help but nicker her greeting. Without a second thought, the girl trotted over to where she had heard the voice and halted, looking down towards the stallion who's nap she had so carelessly interrupted. “Good morning! I'm Kahlua, I was just searching the forest for anyone that might be looking for a home.” Her voice danced, light and almost foal-like. “What can I call you,” she said eagerly then, hoping (as she did with every new hose she met) that she would be able to call the stallion friend.

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Unregistered
Beaten and worn down from his long and strenuous journey away from that place, Cassanchi was not in the mood for company. Laying under the beautiful Juniper trees in temporary hiding was a much more enticing idea. Despite the hot sun's by-product of crystal like beads settling on his sun bleached coat, the sporadic noise of the undeniably loud sapling almost tearing in two was enough to warrant the will to stand once more on his aching hooves. Cassanchi's taught and now almost innate 'beta-warrior in training' demeanor wouldn't allow him to act otherwise. No sooner did the instinctual thought occur to him, there was already a body hoovering over him. Her blue eyes seemed to pelt at his troubled soul as she inquired about his name.

Cassanchi's thoughts began to race, "If I tell her my name.. she may recognize my birth place... And if she or another knows of me, they will send word of my survival.. In which case I will have to return.. and I can't do that.. No, I will not." The unbearable thought of returning to that damned place was enough to spark motivation and force Cassanchi to his formerly disabled limbs. The increasingly hot day influenced his already muffled and sputtered language as he replied,"My name is.. Leo-ni-dous.. Yes... Leo for short... Um.. I come from.. Well, somewhere you don't know.. ". There was a momentary pause as more words and sentences seemed to form just to carelessly dribble out of Cass' mouth, "I am looking for a new home, a new start.. A fresh start.. Where are you from??"

Colt Posts: 68
Hidden Account atk: 3.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14 hh :: 5 years HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
Dark

She wondered why he was lying.

For that reason she stayed where she was, nestled in the crook of two tree trunks, each gently pressing against her sides, the bark prickling her hide. She did not purposefully seek the rough hands of the trees for any psychobabble bullshit, but rather because of the great vantage point it provided of the two equines, yet keeping her in the shadows of the woods. She was not obscured, just easily overlooked by the peripheral.

His stuttering suggested he was new to lying, or unprepared to do so. Her gaze narrowed, calculating which was the most likely. Not enough information her mind reproached, so her gaze turned to the girl.

What luck for Colt to find two candidates, though the mare seemed less desirable. She was so, peppy that Colt couldn't picture her being of any help in war, much less one capable of being mean to anyone, mutant or otherwise.
I was that way, once Colt reflected, choosing not to count the paint horse out just yet.

At the very least she could be a body on the front lines, nothing more than a barricade of meat to shield the stronger fighters behind her.

Colt shook her head, getting back to the task at hand. She's pretty, Colt mused, wondering if perhaps the stallion was stuttering in attempt to feign shyness to coax the mare's nurturing nature into effect - would he then take advantage of her, perhaps shoving her against one of these very tree trunks and roughly grinding his hips against her tail dock and what lie beneath it?
Even worse, would Colt be trapped in these trees and forced to witness such depravity?
No she swore, casually. She would not be afraid to exposure herself should such occur, because she was not afraid of him.

Stay on task she chided herself, sounding nearly like The Incendiary shoving his nose into her training.
She shook that version of the stallion away, the motion causing her weight to sway. A brittle twig snapped under her hoof. She froze.

Go she urged herself, striding forward so her head poked through the branches. Hastily she wiped the wide-eyed look of someone caught red-handed off her face, opting for a casual smirk instead. It slid into place easily.

"What happened to your old start?" Colt drawled, almost lazily, as her gaze drifted from the paint mare to the stud.
Why are you lying?

Her gaze hung on him, a metal knife slowly dragging down a wall.

HAPPINESS IS A WARM GUN

[Image: 5518a658038f0]
The Equine Empire wants YOU! Assuming you refers to an equine.
Join the movement.

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Unregistered
Cassanchi's ears flicked towards the direction of the new forest casualty. A sudden slimy chill shivered down to his hocks as his beautiful blues gazed upon the newcomer's darkened silver coat. Despite the new mare's casual and undermined sly ambiance, he admired her strange yet intriguing markings. "Beautiful snakes are often the most venomous", he thought, whilst momentarily calming his inner stallion instincts. Her approach was not quite as genuine felt as his new acquaintance, Kahlua, making him weary of the new stranger.

The foreigner continued to press on, obstinately stepping on the forgiving warm earth in a lavishly confident manner. In the face of his glazed over appearance from bitter exhuastion, Cass managed to study her calculating yet relaxed smirk.. "Actions speak louder than words" he thought, as he studied her easily carved grin. It was then that his mind began to race once more in search of how to respond to this alien; tumbling through what believable story he could invent to fend off this perhaps un-welcomed visitor. Letting out a quiet sigh he began to reply,"I come from a land far away. I honestly doubt you would know of it..." Pausing only to clear his throat, Cassanchi noticed his lies began to develop a bit more fluently. Boldly and suggestively he continued on to say, "My tales are that of an exiled thief and thus has been troublesome, rough and bitter. The many beautiful dames I have encountered in my perilous travels are less than satisfactory to heal my wounded heart; I long for a mate.. the one. And to save you the suffering of talking your ears off, I will shorten my overly long story, in confessing that I have become an outsider. Cast from a wretched and sinful city. I come in peace and in hopes of beginning a new.. I am tired of running from the nightmares that stronghold inside of my mind. I am ready to settle down. For a moment, he had even fooled himself in believing such a tall tale. The line between his newly found and deceptive reality versus his inevitable truths were suddenly becoming hazy. Self assuredly, he felt as though he had learned a new skill.. the art of lying well. Wallowing in his new realization, Cass began to slowly snap out of his critical thoughts, only to succumb to his repressed innate instincts.

Haphazardly and without warning, the sudden itch of thoughtful lust began to burn inside of the young stallion's chest. In a sudden epiphany as to what opportunistic cards he was dealt, Cass deviously started to plot.."Perhaps by painting a 'robin-hood-esque' theme, I could win over one the mares' hearts" he schemed; "In turn, I would receive a new and welcoming home. After all, that is my main goal.." and not to mention, as a passionately un -experienced stallion, feeling physical companionship was an openly welcomed idea; Soaring on his new wings of confidence, his exhaustion was quickly alleviated as he slowly began to flex his well toned and muscular body, hoping the girls would notice. A grimace calmly developed and settled on his once expressionless face as he thought to himself, "This should help things a little".

Foolish as ever, the girl hardly noticed the stallion's strange, forced speech around his name. If anything, she simply thought he had difficulty with speaking, or was shy. She was a trusting mare and certainly never considered that he might lie to her. Instead, she simply repeated the name Leo, in her head several times as was her habit, letting him continue to speak; however, before she could open her mouth to respond, there was another crack in the woods. Kahlua flinched slightly, but did not panic yet. She had almost grown used to the constant motion of the Threshold. There were always others out stalking and seeking to raise their numbers. Here, the snaps and cracks of twigs meant little, other than that there was competition (or a chance to met a new friend, as Kahlua as seemed to think).

Turning her head, the painted girl furrowed her brow to see just the head of another horse sticking out from some tree branches. It was an interesting way to join the meeting, if nothing else. But her confusion quickly drifted away, as she was more interested in smiling and nodding a welcome greeting to the newest mare. If only Kahlua knew of Colt's parentage she would run far, far away. The Incendiary. He was a source of many a nightmare for the painted girl. He had attacked her out of malice and a hatred she hardly understood, for a comment she had not meant to make. Their battle had been terrible and Kahlua had at least come out well enough that the stallion could not claim her as a victory, but she had sworn to herself she would never wage war like that again. Next time, she would run.

What happened to your old start, the gray head inquired and Kahlua turned to the stallion eager for his answer. She did not see anything amiss in Colt's smirk and so she paid no mind to the mare, other than to remember that she was present. Enraptured in the stallion's tale, the girl listened with bated breath. It was a romatic tale that he wove, though the fact that he called himself a thief put her on edge. For an instant, she wondered if she could trust him enough to welcome him into her peaceful home. But the instant was short lived. All she had to do was ask, right? And after all, he said he came in peace.

His muscles began to flex as the girl opened her mouth, but such things were so often lost on her simple mind and today was no different. She began to chatter on as though he was not trying to draw her in, totally oblivious to his cause. “I hope you can find what you look for here,” she began brightly. “My home searches for peace in the land,” she added then, echoing his thoughts of a gentle existence. Still, she was troubled. She wished she had Thor's ability to understand who's personality could change and who's could not. Then, suddenly remembering the other mare that was still among them, Kahlua turned back to the odd head sticking out from the bushes. “What's your name, by the way?” She smiled like an idiot. She was always too happy.

Dark

Luckily neither of the two horses become hostile at Colt's abrupt appearance and interjection into their conversation. Although it would have been idiotic of them, considering the surplus of bodies and greetings in this forest, she would not have been surprised to have met teeth and absent ears.

Her opinion of them improves by the minute.

Cassenchi's towards her seemed to be fading however, as his voice nearly sneered at her in response. He stayed polite, but the intention behind his emphasis on you was made clear to the brindled mare. She simpered, unperturbed by his underlying ire. Most liars grew agitated when they felt over-analyzed, a high risk of their deception being blown.
He needn't worry though, Colt didn't blow anyone.

He continued on then with some new-found energy, such was the endless breath he took to spin his web ever tighter. Throughout it all Colt could only feel the ridiculousness being piled on - and how willing to share all of it so suddenly, when he'd been more private before. It did not allay her interest in him in the least bit.
Of course there was a probability he was being honest, even if in part, but Colt preferred to see the worst in everyone, that way she'd never have crushed expectations when they turned out to be exactly as she imagined. If anything she was setting herself up for success with her cynical nature, allowing others an opportunity to prove themselves better than her judgments on their character. It was a kindness to be sure.

The painted girl to the side of the stallion seemed receptive to the tale however, her tones no less spritely and unbearable as before, overly saturated with happiness and naivety. At one point, at the mention of peace, Colt could no longer bear the excess honey and snorted in disdain. She caught herself as soon as the nasal spray was spreading though and shook her head and swished her tail, playing it off as an irritating fly, of which there was certainly plenty in the season.

The conversation lulled for a moment, then Colt found the attention thrust upon her. She flicked her gaze, colored like flint, over to the gullible girl. "Colt," was all she gave in response, offering no smile or otherwise to suggest the word was a joke. She let her gaze hold Kahlua steady for a few breaths afterwards, then shifted the metal of her eyes upon the stallion once more. "A thief you say?" Colt asked, picking up on the only part of his lie she took any interest in. "Do all thieves admit to their line of work or is that just the honest sort of fellow you are?" She grinned, but there was little comfort in the motion. "It's a unique talent to be sure..." A useful one, if he actually had it. If he did, was he any good at it?

Colt's gaze drifted back to Kahlua, whom she'd mostly given up on by now, but she was trying to be accepting of all equines of all types. Ricochet certainly wouldn't be pleased if all Colt managed to recruit was a giddy filly though.
"What home did you say you'r from again?" Her head turned back upon the brown stag, "I'm of the Foothills, I could certainly use an equine of your sort among the green slopes."
Colt glanced to Kahlua then, trying a kinder smile for her. "You as well, if your allegiance ever changes."

"I don't promise much if I can help it, but there's mares to be found there, maybe even peace. Either way it's certainly a start."
The only romance Colt found in the Foothills was her passion for the good grazing. The only peace to be found would be in the future, when all the herd but its equine nature had been eradicated.

HAPPINESS IS A WARM GUN

Join the movement.

Unregistered

Upon inquisition from the curious silver mare, Cassanchi's stallion-like emotions quickly subsided as blood began to boil at the surface of his cheeks. It prickled and swirled as the uneasy feeling contagiously spread throughout his body to his stomach. His aching stomach began to churn, burning a hole into his throat.. There was certainly no turning back from his quickly spun folklore tale, the only way out was to weave the threads tighter; to make a tangible, beautiful and convincing tapestry of lies for everyone to respect, believe and admire. However, the sun's blaring light exploited his now tense body language as he sliced a casual grin onto his perfectly chiseled face. Almost right on cue and as redundant as ever, his thoughts began to swirl and race throughout his head, similar to that of a cyclone. 'Maybe she is blunt and forward.. or maybe she is un convinced.. either way I am not sure I can take that chance' he thought to himself. He cleared his throat to make a concise statement,

"I am renounced and not ashamed of my past. I believe everything happens for a reason and thus, I have learned right from wrong and have made a clear decision to live righteously and without regret." pausing only to realize his last few words were truths he formally continued to spin his tapestry, "As I had mentioned earlier I come in peace and am seeking just that to be reciprocated...... Kahlua, correct? I am hoping there may be room in your herd for another? Shifting his weight once again, he turned to face the overo laden mare. Hoping that his direct attention towards her would warm his inquisition. Even still, his quickly offered arrangement rested on his lips. The silver mare's offer was vastly more welcoming however he had to play it safe. Being found out now would not be a smart move considering the silver mare had already seemed to be sizing him up.

Liars cannot be good liars without a welcoming audience.

The painted girl never took notice nor concern about the suspicious attitudes of either of the horses, content to believe both of their stories. “It's nice to meet you then, Colt,” she offered with a kindly smile and dip of her head, though still wondering why the dark colored mare did not want to exit the trees from which she poked her head. Regardless, the stallion's response to Colt appeased Kahlua well enough. If he was a thief and he repented, then he was fine in her book. Besides, by her count, if there was a concern with the stallion Mirage or Thor would sniff him out soon enough. Despite their elusive nature, she doubted anything that happened in their homeland made it past their watchful eyes. Especially not with Mirage's dragon about, keeping an eye on the going ons of the herd.

At the stallion's inviting himself into the Edge, she nodded. She had been about to spit out an invitation anyway, to see the stallion taking initiative simply made herself easier. If she was missing something more nefarious about him, she never even suspected it. Suddenly remembering she hadn't actually made it to answering Colt, she turned back to the mare, ears perked and eyes bright as ever. “I have friends there. I'll be sure to stop by and visit you soon, but I think the Edge will always be my home!” Then, back to the stallion, she finished. “Of course there is room for one more. Come on, I'll show you the way.” And with a nod of her head to the mare and a directional toss to the stallion, she took off at a ground-eating trot, eager to find her way back home.

OOC| So sorry for the rushed post- I'm more-or-less on absent and I didn't want to leave you hanging.

Dark

He tightened like a snake preparing to strike and Colt grew more cautious. What was initially amusing and interesting became dangerous, her gaze sharpening upon him as she took a step back towards the woods, feigning a shift in balance. He obviously did not find humor in her perceptiveness, although that wasn't so much the cause as her wariness driving her to imagine the worst - his actions only furthered as proof to her wild ideas.

He does not act on it however, preferring to keep wielding his tongue instead.
She relaxes in body, but her mind remains attentive to him.

"Pity," she replies to his speech on returned morals and ethics. The loss is in more way than one with his decision to join the painted mare of smiles and ignorance. Wind blew from Colt's nose in defeat, but she would easily forget this encounter and its loss, though she would nor forget him. She had a feeling she'd made an enemy tonight, and not just by failing to gain a member of the empire.

"I can't wait to see you again, then, Kahlua." Colt murmurs as a way of farewell, turning to drift back into the thick of the forest where she might find another equine to spy on. "Good luck on that start," she calls back over her shoulder to the stallion, just as the shrubbery engulfs her.

HAPPINESS IS A WARM GUN

Join the movement.