the Rift

tips on writing on a psychopath

Helleborr Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
so helleborr here is supposed to be a bit unstable. and by a bit, I mean occasionally cannibalistic, murderous, incestuous with his twin sister... well, you get the picture.

I've never played a character like him before and I'd like some insight as to how I could better convey his dark nature. of course, I've only made one post with his so far so it might not be the most accurate sample, but regardless: white bones and black souls. please, pick it apart!

Apodis Posts: 39
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 :: 12 Buff: NOVICE
Eaglecry
Have him daydream a lot about eating people, think of sadistic ways to murder and stuff. Have him argue with himself.
[Image: 525f791c057b6]64HP
[Image: 52878c6669a55]
Lines by bronzehalo

Solace Posts: 95
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Equine :: 16h :: 6 HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Adoptable
I think you wrote him very well, in my personal opinion, you caught that malicious and dark voice I love in unstable characters. One thing I can say though, always make sure you're in the right mood for writing characters like that. When I write Vulture, if I am going to write him correctly, I have to be in the right mindset. If I'm struggling to get into that 'place' I will read characters like, Histe, Eris, and Seele. All of whom have awesome voices, and are all incredibly psychotic characters. Also music to, I created this extensive playlist with songs I associate with Vulture, so, if that music inspires you then I really recommend that.

Yeah, overall I think you're doing really well, and I apologize for the lack of critique, but I just didn't find anything wrong with it.

Carnesîr Posts: 60
Hidden Account atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 :: 3 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
wanda
Hm this is a bit of a difficult to address, simply because it's something that everyone approaches differently.

I would suggest for developing him as a character find little habits. I personally think it's subtlety that can draw out the darker and more eerie personality in a character. For example, something he might do before he goes in to kill; perhaps he has counts down from three, seemingly randomly, before attacking- a poor example, but an example nonetheless. Does he tilt his head when he is investigating something? Do the muscles in his neck and jaw tense before he strikes? Research suggests that horses in pain or anger tighten the skin around their eyes, a sign that is hardly noticable by humans but would likely be something important to other horses.

Basically, find his habits. Understand his reasonings- for just like a person, in the world of roleplay horses have their reasons for their wrongs and rights.

Satanic Silk Posts: 153
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.0
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17hh :: 5 (Tallsun) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Try writing when you're angry or depressed.. that's how I wrote my old character Rape of Canaan so well. That and he had a lot of shit to be pissed about. Traumatized kid.. lots of things on his mind... and I always had him seem sort of zombie-ish... but then with some mad cruelty
[Image: silkicon2_by_lainey_lou-d73bsek.png]
Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

*You may do anything you wish with Silk excluding dismemberment and death.

Alina Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Unsettled/displeased horses also wrinkle their muzzles :)

Voodoo Posts: 231
Outcast atk: 7.5 | def: 10 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: Eight :: Birdsong HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Ouija :: Arctic Fox :: None Nevada
Like Lauren said, it helps to be in an a mood that you can reflect off of. Of course, this can be hard because you're not a psycho.. *that we know of* ;) BUT music and reading sad/violent stories helps! A lot of Stephen King books are pretty good to read if you're wanting to get into the whole "weirdo" deal. One of his books called "Desperation" is a really good one to refer to. :)
EVERYTHING YOU'RE RUNNING AWAY FROM
IS IN YOUR HEAD
[Image: 5389e9aca8b63]
Please tag him in every post!

Illynx the GildedBlade Posts: 413
Hidden Account atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 13 HP: 67.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kyst :: Common Griffon :: Zapping Jab Bunnie
Researching into particular mental disorders sometimes helps me to better define the insanity, and I also research psychopaths themselves - of course, most of them are human models, and so you will have to adjust to fit the nature of the equine.

With OCD and other compulsion disorders, as well as mental disorders such as schizophrenia or MPD, there are key behaviors that occur in every case and that define the "type" of the disorder they have. In schizophrenia alone, there are three main kinds - and you can be a blend of all three or just one.

There are also antisocial disorders, which generally have the same key symptoms exhibited in behavior (sociopaths, agoraphobics, ect.).

Many diseases have physical ailments that pair with them, which can make your writing more in depth, such as seizures, light sensitivity, noise sensitivity, ect.

PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) is a good one to use if you don't want to follow an actual outline of what a mental character may encounter or experience from their madness, or just a generalized "sociopath," who has no fucks to give over the rules and regulations that define society and also feels no empathy or compassion, even for themselves.

I have played a sociopathic character as well as one who suffered from multiple personality disorder, and I will go ahead and say that I felt much more comfortable writing both of them after reading background information about their disorders than I did previously; it made my writing feel more real and gave me a lot of interesting, muse inspiring information to go off of.
Magic/assault allowed to be used on Illynx at any time, in so far as it does not kill or seriously maim her without my permission. 
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
I have to agree with Bunnie- research. Research, research, research. If you want to accurately portray a disorder, you need to know what it is. In the past I have seen a lot of people who say they have e.g. a schizophrenic horse, but they know nothing about schizophrenia. Which means that not only are the inaccurately depicting a mental disorder, but it's also quite rude to stereotype a disorder with (often) incorrect "facts".

So yes, research! :B
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Tamme the Tempting Posts: 140
Administrator
Mare :: Other :: 2 :: 2 HP: 9001 | Buff: Admin
Tamme
It is very important to remember that mentally handicapped does not automatically equal EVIL.

There STILL had to be trauma in the past or unresolved trauma in order to make a character uncomfortable in social situations to the point where they are called "evil".

Even then, what is that word? Look a some of these "evil" characters who are played on here well.

Ulrik. Many would call him "evil", but is he really? He is a classic example of social phobia, borderline autistic genius type. In order to feel comfortable, he has to be near his own kind. He only likes characters who are constants in his life, familiars. The others he treats with scrutiny because they might hurt him. He has a tendency to lash out because he grew up with a group of warring bachelors. He prefers work, which he knows won't disappoint him, over others. Is this evil? No. But how it manifests towards those not in his inner circle is cold because he is protecting himself.

All evil comes from somewhere and unless it has a very, very good reason, it usually comes off as cheap? Or as Neo said, un-researched and therefore rudely stereotypical.

Another example is d'Art. To me, he classifies as bipolar. I work with someone who has this disease, and they can do one of those "switch flips" from perfectly benevolent to very rude and strange in a few seconds. But, he has kids and prefers is own kind.

So, I would research, like everyone said and know their history down to a "T". This is where my reason for knowing history is really important because the disease does not make the personality. The history in the face of the disease makes the personality.

Illynx the GildedBlade Posts: 413
Hidden Account atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 13 HP: 67.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kyst :: Common Griffon :: Zapping Jab Bunnie
^ What Tamme says is also true. Illynx is another of these characters - she's not evil. The world broke her heart.

And so she kills to get back at it. :|

...crazy looney toon.
Magic/assault allowed to be used on Illynx at any time, in so far as it does not kill or seriously maim her without my permission.