the Rift

[DROP] Purity [Earth/Water Magic Drop]

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

Only the pure of heart can make the leap.

The lava bubbles and boils far below. At first, from the cliffs overlooking the magma pit, you cannot hear a thing, but as you stand staring at the red-orange depths below, you realize that there is a low humming noise. It cascades up and down scales and arpeggios before launching into a melody all its own. It grows louder and louder, then fades again. Looking around, you find yourself searching for the source. It is calling you, a siren in the night - if only you could figure out how to get to it! From across the deep, broiling abyss, a gentle light begins to shine, a cool blue amidst the bright, warm colours of the fires below. You watch it, your head cocked slightly to the side in confusion. It wants you (or do you want it?), but how are you to find your way across Helovia's Heart?

You begin to walk along the cliffs, hoping that perhaps the globe merely rests on the other side, hoping that if you continue to plod carefully along you will come across the glorious object. To your dismay, however, you realize that the globe does not move as you travel along the edge. It must be in the middle. You snort in frustration and almost turn to stalk the other direction, but your hoof hits something hard with a sharp clang like metal. In the stone beneath you lies a carved iron sheet. On its face are the words, "Only the pure of heart can make the leap." You stare at it for a moment, and then look up to the globe. Are you pure? Or aren't you? Does it mean a literal leap, or a figurative one? Should you jump? Or is it a suicide mission?

What will you do?

The winner of this drop will be decided by a dice roll. Please post below. Be sure to include a link to your wishlist and any prior failed attempts at a magic drop.

This drop will close in 96 hours.

Good luck!

"talk talk talk talk "

regularjane | Quote: Thomas Moore

Oxy the Addict Posts: 322
Hidden Account atk: 5.5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2hh :: 9 [Tallsun] HP: 73.5 | Buff: DANCE
Unnamed :: Common Boggart :: Mayhem Sevin
Is that something floating over the fires of the Heart? You stare at it, eyes narrowed, watching it hover there so easily. No, you decide. It can't be over the heart, and you begin to move around the giant pit of magma. The heat is almost unbearable, combined with the heat of the sun overhead, but for some reason you can't ignore what you're seeing in front of you. Still, no matter many laps you make around the excessively large pit, you don't seem to get any closer to the thing. Is it really floating? You snort your disdain.

Just as you do, your hoof lands on something solidly metal and you throw your head up wildly, scurrying away from the plate and the fiery pit. At least you managed to move away from it and not into it. Slowly, carefully, you return to the plate and lower your nose to look at it. You do not understand the etchings there, but perhaps it is better. You're certainly not pure of heart. You would surely turn away at such a command. After all, what have you ever done that could be considered good or worthy on this earth?

Shaking your head, you turn away from the plate and back to the orb. Curiosity has really gotten the best of you and you're intent on finding out how to get the thing. Can you? If only you had wings. You should not have told the little blue that horses were meant to be grounded. Lifting your head, you look around to see if there is a pegasus you can coerce into doing your bidding. Surely there must be one around?

Wishlist - [Magic: Dark x Water | Able to burst red blood cells, causing reduced hemoglobin levels therefore signs of anemia and oxygen deprivation for 30 seconds** (muscle cramping, shortness of breath, increased heart rate, disorentation)]
OOC| Aud told me it was ok to post both Kah and Oxy. If not, consider Oxy first please. Thank you.
we all look for ways to make the pain go away
- bg - table - manip -
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Oxy at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing him.

Please do not tag Oxy unless it is in an opening post

Ciceron Posts: 315
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: 6 HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kiara :: White Tiger :: Poison nickel

Things were much different here in the depths of Helovia than experienced otherwise near the outskirts and herdlands, though it could be just natural for the southern lands perhaps. Since arriving here most of the stallion's adventures had taken place in the north western area where the lands thrived and much life was supported. Within the strange atmosphere of the heart things were well, different. Before him stretched a large crater dug deep within the earth's soil where flames licked at the edges tempting those brave enough to look within the inferno. It was by pure chance he had happened upon a place such as this for he thought the endless fields of grass would never end, well at least not upon something such as this.

It was like the earth had split itself to allow a glimpse into the depths of hell, was there a greater purpose to this place? Shaking his head as his eyes once again were drawn to the blue light shining within the vast ocean of orange, red and yellow flames. It was out of place within the spectrum of colours and the mystery of it pulled him in until he was pacing around the edge of the hole trying to find out what the blasted light was coming from. No land could be seen for as far as he could see but now it was not only the sight of the light but also the humming that emitted from the source as well. What in the hell was this thing and how was it just floating out over the heart? Only a meer sentence carved into a misplaced stone gave any clue to suggest he was not just imagining the whole thing. "Only the pure of heart can make the leap." Furrowing his brow in confusion he could think of no logical actions to make out of the words, surely one could never survive a leap into the bubbling magma below. The leap must refer to something else entirely, only the question now was what it was referring to?

Only the answer would satisfy his curiosity, so regardless on how long it took he would find an answer. It wasn't as if anything awaited his return after all, his heart was searching for the missing pieces of the puzzle perhaps this quest would help him discover what he needed to accomplish. Turning his eyes back to the light he watched its glow in fascination. "What are you and how do I find you?" He whispered softly to no one in particular but himself. Nearby he could see another figure pacing along the rocky ledges staring into the depths as well. Well it appeared that he was not the only one attracted by this mystery, maybe if they combined their thoughts a solution could be found.

Wishlist
[Magic: Light x Water | Ability to drop temperatures to sub zero levels within 10ft of himself for certain period of time. | Restrictions: Requires the use of energy and concentration which can be draining depending on length of time used. Can be triggered with periods of emotional instability such as rage or anger. Risk of death should to much energy be expended at once.]
No Previous Denials

Table and Image by Moonstone Designs
[Image: ciceron_by_foxyfirewings-d7npcjn.png][Image: untitled_2_by_moonstone_designs-d9fwqyy.png]
Pixel Base- BronzeHalo
**Please Tag Me In All Posts**
Permission to attack, use magic and injure with the exception of maiming or death.
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
Earth drew power from earth. I could feel the summoning hum sparking through my blood like electricity. It tightened into a hot spasm that begged for release, that same urge drew me closer toward a source. Soaring over Helovia until the unforgiving heart came into view. The source of power seemed hidden by lava and mighty volcanoes. There would be others that gathered here, magic had a manner of luring those of evil and heroic nature alike. Thus far the path had led me in a circle; a rather confusing circle. Finally I ended up where equines stood looking down at some strange shallow alter. Words written upon the stone resound in my ears. “Only the pure of heart can make the leap.” Over the edge is a beating pulse, a dangerous heart.

My family comes to mind, and I pray to the lord of Earth knowing that he was watching, “Ye is who I trust. For ye I would make any leap without reward…with only death as the promise.” My daggers touch the edge, the ground is hot beneath my feet. Waves of heat fly toward heaven in a funnel. Wings tighten their loose hold across my barrel, “If this is the reason thou has lead me here, then so be it.” Fear of the unknown blooms within me, and as I stare into the swirling mass of lava and fire—it melted away.

There wasn’t room for refusal, if the God of Earth called me home; then I would go, “Ye knows I would surrender all to thou.” Gold rises slips from my hooves, streaking toward the plate of iron. It melts into the element, coating it with a thin but durable layer of gold. Now the metal is refreshed, renewed. “Everything I am.”

OCC: [Magic: Earth x Wind (U) | Able to create stronger sand storms and use the sand to shield others. Use more magical sand to make more dimensional shapes at will.
http://helovia.net/showthread.php?tid=7025

He's been refused a few times before. Do I need to dig out the threads ^^;
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Hototo Posts: 96
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 17.2hh :: 3 years
Boom Boom!
[Image: 5253a7371d5b4]
The sound is like the hum of a small heart. It beats and wanes, beats and wanes, yearning like a call from the pit of the fire threatening to consume it. My bicolored eyes watch the flames and heat swirl about the icy blue color, an ice cube melting in the summer's heat.

I look toward my companion, the enchanted instrument which plays a suspenseful tune in this moment, if a harp ever could be suspenseful. I look toward the birchwood, the emerald gems, the everlasting vines coiled about and vibrating with each perfect pitch. The tune changes, one of upbeat encouragement. I glance downward at the strange metal plate; the scribbles on its surface mean nothing to me, yet somewhere in my heart I feel like they make sense. If I could read the surface, I might ponder more fully about my purity, my place in this world.

As it is now, though, I feel the blue orb hovering like a feather above the heat is a lost soul calling out toward me. I frown, looking from the icy blue toward the emerald gleam of my new friend. I pause, hesitate, ponder. The thought of jumping to rescue it seems a bit insane. Who willingly jumps into a pit of molten fire? I could never manage the leap in one jump, but I do have wings, do I not? I think of the warm air currents Midas spoke of often in our lessons. Would this only lift me up, up and away? Could I use them like a safety if I get too close to the magma?

Why am I even considering jumping into a pit of fire?
I honestly have no idea, but the blue glow of the tiny, shrinking creature makes me reconsider yet again.

"Stay here, friend," I say to my harp, who hovers uneasily near the edge of the pit.

There is not time for thought. The blue light could be a fairy or some other spirit from the tales of old. If I am not to rescue it, who will? I do not know of anyone off hand that would jump into a pit of fire, except maybe Midas who is nowhere to be seen.

I take a few steps back away from the edge. A breath is taken. Okay, two. Okay, three. Damn it, Hototo, you cannot just stand here and breathe all day. My back legs push off, and I rush forward, front legs curling around the rim as I leap. My bronze hooves leave the earth, my body sailing in an artful arch toward the center of Helovia's Heart. I immediately begin to regret my decision. Even without touching the fires, it is damned hot in this pit of fire.

I fold my wings tight to my side, allowing myself to fall naturally in the direction of the blue orb, powered by gravity and fading hope. My muscles are tense, though, waiting for the last moment before I flail my wings outward and hope the warm currents will lift me from peril. I seemed to forget that I am not actually light as a feather, but maybe, just maybe, this will work.

Hope it's okay I crash this too. I figure since he has two separate earth/water magics on his wishlist it would be okay.

Wishlist
Grandfathered :: [Magic: WaterxLight | The ability to create/gather and manipulate ice that looks like water and behaves like water, but freezes things instantly when coated with it.]

Takara Posts: 19
Deceased
Filly :: Equine :: 14.3 :: Yearling Buff: NOVICE
Emily

I move swiftly, but not near as swift as my sister. Ah Sakura, why could I not have sight like you? But at least this was a bit of freedom. Somewhere along the way, I have lost your scent. I know you have to be close, but I am not sure where. The ground has changed from smooth grass to that of rocks. The heat to has changed and I can only assume I have stumbled into Helovia's Heart. I have heard so many stories about it's heat, and not I understand why. It is so much warmer here than everywhere else I have been. I slow my pace the longer I hear my hooves on the rocks. It was to dangerous to move to fast.

That is when I first heard it. My hearing is probably more sensitive than normal due to my lack of sight. It was soft at first, a low humming sound. What ould this be? Eagerly I followed the sound, being careful of each step I take. I can hear others nearby, although I have no idea who is near. I can hear the flap of wings as well. Was I the only equine here? Would these others hurt me? Well, if they did that would only fuel my family's rage. After all a horn head and slaughtered my mother. The only one with wings i'll trust is my half sister. Anyway, none of that mattered. I could hear some taking a leap of faith. I stopped suddenly realizing I was at the edge.... Oh... If I wanted to find out what was making the humming sound i'd have to jump.... I would just have to take the consequence and go for it. With a deep breath I focused on the sound of the humming. I moved backward several steps, I would need a running start after all. I just had to hope I didn't land in the lava everyone had talked about. With that I ran forward and jumped.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wishlist
:: [Magic: Earth | The ability to sprout thorned vines from the earth to ensare others]

Takara

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod
Torleik
A lone man loved by none:

How long can he live?

Thoroughly disappointed by his continual rejection by the gods, Torleik left the Earth God's symphony with a barely concealed sense of disgust. He was not disgusted with the divines - well, perhaps the Sun God. He was a narcissistic gløggvingr, and that was that. In reality, he felt disgusted at himself.

Surely if the gods continued to deny him, it was because he was lacking in some way. What was it? Was it his faith? Was it his behavior? His internal attitude? Had he not done enough to bring honor to and please the gods?

Everything had been taken from him. Surely he was not still being punished for some wrongdoing he had committed in his youth? Despondent, Torleik found his hooves carrying him towards a place he had not been since he'd won Irelyn: the Heart of Helovia. It was a place of fear for him and he did not wish to go there without a reason.

What was his reason now? To prove something? Irelyn's confused and tremulous presence in his mind reinforced his belief that he had no idea what he was doing here and he paused at the edge of the tall grasses, surprised to see a gathering of others. Another? Again? His curiosity overriding his fear (since all of those present were unharmed, there was no inherent danger other than the ever-present evil of fire), Torleik made sure Irelyn was tucked firmly into her nest on his back, and slowly drew near.

A sneer of disdain could not be held back from his lips as he noticed a few pegasi in this hellish place. Fitting for their vile kind, he snarled and Irelyn gave a confused chirp. The stallion pushed aside the venomous feeling quickly; a young child should not experience such things. It's nothing, Irelyn. Some people aren't as nice or good as others, is all, he tried to explain to her. She seemed to understand well enough and readjusted herself within her nest.

Coming alongside the others, Torleik saw this rock-plaque first, reading the instructions without understanding. A leap? Did horses fling themselves into this pit of hades trying to prove their purity of heart? What insanity would grip someone to think that would prove anything? There was no proof a deity had put this rock here as a test for mortals; some twisted soul could have carved it and placed it at the mouth of the pit just to see who would be foolish enough to take the risk.

A streak caught his eye and Torleik turned, watching a pegasus do just that: fling himself in. "What are yo-aughugh!" Torleik tried to yell, demanding what the crazy fool was doing, but a blast of hot air choked him and made the words catch in his throat. "Whatever deity is watching now, do not let this brave fool perish for his ignorance, if his actions be motivated by it," he murmured to himself, a quiet prayer to anyone who would listen.

The idiot was a pegasus, but Torleik did not wish death upon those he did not know simply because of what they were. Casting his gaze down into the open maw of hell once more, trying to see if there was any hope for this fool, another orb caught his eye. Was it another companion? There did not seem to be anything within this circle of glowing light. What was going on?

Only the pure of heart can make the leap.

Was that what the pegasus had leapt for? Torleik knew he could not follow, no matter how much his compulsions told him he needed to try to rescue that idiot. Fire, lava, dangerous rocks be damned; he could brave them if it was required of him, but he would not, could not put Irelyn in danger that way. Standing helplessly on the edge, he watched, and continued to pray. "Gods, I no longer know what you want from me. But if it be in your will, save this pegasus. If he is pure of heart, let him make this leap. The hate in mine...I could not jump. But he is brave enough to try. Do not take from him his life for his leap of faith."

Wishlist: [Magic: LightxWater | The ability to summon icy rain or sleet in the form of a thunderstorm]

Never been in a magic only drop, so I don't think I have any previous refusals that would count here. Only God quest drop refusals.
Credits: Image by Eagle
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

You, the first to arrive, halt at the edge of the vast pit. Perhaps it is that the peril of jumping to your certain death does not appeal to you, but you do no more than pace along the edge. What I sense in you is not purity, and so I am not surprised when you do not take the leap. The next to arrive joins you, looking over the edge with something akin to confusion. Again, I do not sense purity, at least not the kind I seek. Perhaps you are afraid, perhaps you do not have anyone to pray to for your safety. Ah, but if only you had trusted the stone...

You, painted pegasus, catch my eye for a moment, but my attention is quickly turned to the pair of jumpers. I am impressed by their courage, but not by the rashness of their actions. If they had stopped to think, then perhaps... but they did not. Had I a head to shake, I would, but as I don't, I merely sigh: the gust of breath flows easily over the void, carrying the equine to safety on the other side (though quite out of reach of the orb) and helping the pegasus lift above the lava. Unicorn, you muttered a plea for their survival - I suppose your prayer was answered, though I do not claim godhood.

You have all taken my attention from the painted steed, and when I realize that he is the sole stallion who has paid homage to me, to the Heart of the Heart, I am sure that he is the one. There is goodness in him, it is clear to me (and, I'm sure, to those around him). And so, without further ado, I gently blow another gust of air to pick him up and carry him to the precious orb. He will not fall from my grasp, and as I deposit him safely on the far side of the fire pit, I whisper a soft, "Thank you."

Congratulations, Midas! You have won the drop!

Random Selection

Torleik and Hototo were not eligible for this drop because a character may only be in one drop at a time. Since Torleik and Hototo were both considered for the God of the Earth quest drop, they are ineligible for this magic drop.

"talk talk talk talk "

regularjane | Quote: Thomas Moore
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
The wind began to blow, softly at first, then stronger, and stronger. I gasped aloud and pulled feathers free from their sheath. There was no need to struggle for the breeze didn’t burn, nor did it threaten. It simply lashed itself from underneath by an invisible tether. One could say that I didn’t thrash about like a small child unable to breach its mother’s womb, but there wasn’t a moment flying over that gaping hole that my heart didn’t stop its pathetic race. Flying without the main use of wing was a strange and unfamiliar fixation. Lava boiled beneath my feet, but the air was cool—much cooler than the furnace below. I stiffened as the orb drew close, a gentle wave of comfort seemed to pulse from its core. A small smile lifted one corner. It was beautiful in a foreign way—powerful.

Earth washed inside me, filling the empty crevice. The wave of energy soothed my soul and chased fear back into the dark abyss it had sprung. Now I was completely relaxed, the muscles my both went lax—surrendering to the magic of this extraordinary place. It was once in every great while that something amazingly beautiful happened in the lives of those who clung to mortality. A wise steed would learn to savor these moments, for they were often few and far between. Bittersweet.

Unknowingly I had closed my eyes, when lids opened again the earth was beneath me. Solid against my feet. “Thank you.” Something, or someone whispered. I glanced around, seeing others who had also made it across; yet none who could have just spoken. “Aye,” I whispered back, “Ye is welcome. Thank ye for life and its boundless gifts.”
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]