the Rift

[OPEN] Lets get our hooves dirty (guacho, africa, open)
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
 Midas</style>

quote quote quote
quote quote quote

I’d awoken early, before the cruel soulless stars could blink out. Fina hadn’t. She climbed from her spot in the Magnolia tree and slipped from the branches down to the junction where feather met wither. Not once did those brilliant orbs open, not so much as a peep escaped her clamped beak. I rose from the ground carefully, my wings slithered apart. Fluidly I pumped them, relishing in the feeling of cool air slipping beneath and filling my feathers. Our oasis home fell away, golden orbs lured back and forth—seeking a certain pair of warriors that would be making a journey to Helovia’s heart.

The sky was still dark by the time me and my sleeping companion made it to the border; swiftly the ground went from red sand to steaming earth. “Guacho?” I called out into the darkness, there was no moon tonight, only starlight and fire. We had agreed upon meeting just outside of the Throat, closest to the border and North of the wall. Helovia’s heart was just ahead. Fina snuggled deeper in my feathers, still unwilling to meet the coming dawn. I sighed and circled the sky, keeping a lookout for Africa and Guacho. Gaze drifted to the rising steam with disinterest, it held little lure. There hadn’t really been a time when I’d had the desire to hang around this place. It was mostly inhabitable considering that the majority of it was burning on the surface or burning in a sulfur pit. Either or was slightly less than idle when it came to survival.

Image by: Sei
Table by: Brit
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
They tell me I'm too young to understand
They say I'm caught up in a dream

Dragon's Throat Oracle

With a chirp and fluttering of wings that was a little too eager given the early morning hour, Silas roused the slumbering mare from the grip of strange, contorted nightmares.

Furrows where legs had been thrashing; galloping perhaps, scored the smooth, soft sand of the nest and wilting flowers, unusually shaped rocks… a seashell here and there; Africa's treasured possessions were strewn untidily across the floor- certainly not how she had arranged them. Sand dusted over the rise and fall of her tight barrel; restless breathing. It had been quite a spectacular night.

All the while, Silas had been roosting, tucked upon a shelf in the top corner of their safe little den, watching helplessly as his beloved fell in and out of those night terrors; unwilling to fight her flailing strength to try to rescue her. As she stilled though once more, lulled into some form of crude serenity, he swooped from his bed to wake her.

It was no easy task. At first the young grey fought his advance, lashing wildly where she lay, trapped tightly in a world that was no longer real; but as the time passed by, with Silas's dogged persistence, the mare awoke and scrambled instantly to her feet.
Sweat lathered the shoulder and flank that had been exposed to the warm night air and the other side was caked with sodden, glue-like sand, pressed snugly into her dappled hide. With a brisk snort and heavy shake there beneath the overhang of rock, Africa calmed her spinning mind and turned to the Zephy, who was speckled by flung sand, huddled in the furthest corner for the sake of his own safety.

"I'm sorry." She said with a soft, amused chuckle. "Was it the dreams again?" The question, she knew, would achieve no response- they could not understand one another in that respect, but the little avian did direct her way a sharp resentful scowl (of sorts) and skipped quickly past her crowding body into the open air of the desert outside. Bouncing twice through the substrate, his wings spread and he lifted between powerful beats into the expanse above- star-shine glittering across his raven-black body as he went.

Africa followed through the gaping split in the rock and stretched each of her long, sturdy limbs. It was still dark and she predicted dawn would not seep through their home for another solid two hours or so. Far away, silver-white stars twinkled and she smiled at them quietly, enamoured since the bond had been set between herself and the nocturnal, star-specked Silas.
Swiftly she turned north, aware that it was the morning she was required to meet Midas and Gaucho by the border. Africa was conscious of the fact that her grounding would hold their expedition up, and so had chosen this hour to journey there alone; to meet them on time.

At a brisk walk; a canter where the loam was packed tightly, it took her round about an hour to find the long looming shadow of wall marking the northernmost border. Carefully she slowed, eyes not so keen without the shed of milky-moonlight, at the cue of her sparkling guide above- Silas paused and dipped lower in the sky as they arrived. The one-winged mare hugged close against the cold, hard wall uncomfortably outside the protection of the Throat, in the weight of darkness.

Soon enough the familiar voice of Midas spilt down upon her and Africa emerged from the walls shadow, her lit-up bonded swooping to land upon her back so that she might appear more easily from the sky above. She was not keen to sing out a response, gravely mindful that she was vulnerable; both by inexperience and because of her grizzly handicap. But she was there, waiting for the two stallions with everlasting patience.

Eagle by :: Jassy2012@dA
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd
It's not hard to live like a ghost.
I just haunt all that I wanted, and leave what I don't.</style>

[Sorry!]

Silently Gaucho slipped through the darkened skies. It was so unlike the darkness of previous seasons - of that seemingly unending night that had covered Helovia in a dismal and oppressive blackness for what seemed like forever. Now however, as Gaucho moved easily through the night, his soul was calm and ready, un-perturbed by the moonless expanses over the sands. In his antlers, Mara moved sluggishly, for although it was Tallsun still, the air was growing colder at night, and the reptile was forced to huddle closer to Gaucho's broad skull for warmth.

They were to meet near the gates - and that was precisely in the direction the brute was headed. Down below, he could see the pale form of Africa nearly hugging the partially constructed wall. His dark ears flickered slightly, as he once again noted her missing appendage. Even a creature like Gaucho felt pity and sadness for the mare - equines and unicorns, who had never known flight, knew nothing of what they were missing. Africa on the other hand, would have known all too intimately the joys of the skies - which would make loosing that ability all the harder. Vaguely, his mind wondered if there was anything that could be done - any magic that could be bestowed upon her, to allow her to fly? He would have to ask the Sun God, when next he saw him.

As he neared, his gaze was directed to My-das, who remained in the skies. Mara hissed weakly and without much interest towards the shape of Fina - almost as if she needed to keep up the appearance of wanted to eat the glowing bird, without really knowing why anymore. Snuggling back into the warmth of Gaucho, much like Fina was doing with Midas, she remained silent.

"Here." Gaucho called outwards, as his large shape moved to hover closer to My-das'. "Gaucho check perimeters. Most are sleeping - no threats. It is safe for us to go."

Image Credits
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
 Midas</style>

I tried to find you at the bottom of a bottle
my loneliness was rattling the window

My lucky companion could stay curled in a warm swath of alabaster fathers. While she slept, I was privileged with the task of keeping a watchful search going overhead; eventually my span gained wider and wider spirals. Soon enough this bored task became less dreary; a dot appeared from the southern dunes, a dappled dot that grew larger as she strove near. Africa was coming along. Windblown corners twisted into a welcoming grin that couldn’t be seen from this altitude. The sun God had chosen well, his Oracle was very brave to make this journey and my faith in her abilities where right on cue. Her shinning companion and optimistic personality were a shining beacon for us all to follow.

I swept down and playfully bobbed my head which sent a cascading wave of tendrils to fall across patched shoulders in wild array, “Good morning, Africa.” Guacho arrived soon after; his massive birthright gracefully gliding through the air as only a fledged Pegasus might. I glanced over and sent a welcoming beam his way. He gave a report, announcing that the borders are secure and maintained. A following nod would suffice for an answer. Gaze slide down to Africa, “Well...the sun will be up soon. If thee two is ready, let us be off.”

Guacho led the way to yonder cavern. I purposely hung back, absentmindedly keeping watch over the traveler below; trying to maintain a pace that was suitable. It became apparent early on that it was a good thing our troop had decided to travel during the earliest hours, it was already uncomfortably hot. My body was warm and slightly damp around the neck, shoulders, and hips by the time we had arrived at the base of our exploratory cavern. A strange illumine was trailing from within, there was a stream of fire coating each wall, a shield of crystal like glass stood between us and the fire. Yonder stone remained firmly packed and unyielding to the flaming kisses. Strong waves of heat were emitting from the endless fire yet it was not so uncomfortable that one would burn themselves.

Fina stirred awake, bright sea colored pools opening to gaze up at the entrance with a rising distaste. Daggers clicked against the lava fashioned rocks, gold spread to cover the surface of stone where each hoofclick fell. I glanced back and grinned sheepishly at Africa, “Does ye know this cavern?”

Table by: Brit

Deceased
“Speaking”

They tell me I’m too young to understand
They say I’m caught up in a dream

Dragon's Throat Oracle

It did not pass Silas by unnoticed that his Phoenix equivalent still slept snugly, he looked for her with an eagerness concealed by much effort; night-sharp eyes hunting for the vibrant hue of her feathers where ever the painted stallion travelled. Curiosity stirred through the crevices of his young, expanding mind and it intensified each time Fina was close by to him. She was stubborn he thought, aloof and unfriendly; but his flimsy perception did little to soften the desire to relate with his own kind, and forge with her something greater than utter estrangement.

The journey passed quickly; the dapple grey was quite distracted by each in her company, and the effort it took to match the pace of their flight above. She could tell quickly that they sought to comfort the gravity of her curse by slowing their rate a little (Africa was all too aware of the swiftness granted by high altitude highways). Grateful though she was, the young Oracle pushed boldly into gallop, ignoring as best she could the sweat which leaked heavily across her puddled canvas and lathered between the rub of her legs- she was fitter and more adept to run then ever she had been while flighted. The light which seeped through the spinning landscape around her; the day unfolding across them all would be scorching, and Africa longed for the anticipated coolness of the cave they were hunting.

Her halt was gradual and began around the same moments of Gaucho’s artful descent. Long trembling legs resisted the urge to slow at first, blood and adrenaline fuelling their rush, and Africa was forced to curl her neck (a graceful manoeuvre notwithstanding the reason behind) and tuck her chin to force the cooperation of eager tendons; her mane hurling wildly forwards and lashing the still dawn air while she lurched, drawing at last to a standstill. While the stallions settled upon the hard packed earth around her, the puffed mare composed herself and slowed the pounding rate of her heart.

Without hesitation the group sank into the welcoming glow oozing up from the gaping fissure in the Heart and the cool shift to subterranean air embraced Africa’s hot frame instantly, causing the fine, sodden hair all over to prickle- the skin beneath the tingle. The dim cavern which opened around them was more beautiful then she had remembered, the molten liquid bubbling and writhing against the transparent walls took her breath away. She was quite pleased to be in the company of two brave warriors, her own confidence began to shy as she imagined the ravenous hunger of such heat; of fire born from lava just like this.

The nearer they moved into the centre, the warmer it became and sweat once more began to flood the minute channels already etched through her sleek fur- it was not uncomfortable; not so overbearing like the hazy desert horizon. When Fina awoke, Silas’s beady black eyes dived towards her, narrowing as seemed appropriate for their sketchy relationship. With a gently clacking beak he endeavoured to ease her very obvious aversion to the cave- it was not so bad he thought.
In the same seconds, Midas had looked towards Africa and was asking her if the cavern was known to her- indeed it was familiar, (the spears descending from the roof were much the same) but she had not travelled through this one in particular. It was far more magnificent than those illuminated so subtly by the glow-worms in her memory. “Not this one.” she answered simply, eyes still flailing, desperate to soak in all that was offered like at any moment she would wake and the cave would be gone. “Will we explore further?” Africa knew that a room as large as this might hide any number of adjoining tunnels stretching far into the centre of the earth. Excitement began to spread through her core and she fidgeted, smiling quietly as she tried to settle herself.

Ascended Helovian

As they flew, Gaucho wondered vaguely if the hole in the ground that he had previously seen, would be filled in. It had simply appeared out of no-where: a gaping hole in the earth, that defied all logic and physics. Perhaps it would disappear just as quickly too. In his antlers, Mara kept a black watch upon the pheonix who, for whatever reason, had always been a distinct point of interest for the snake. Hissing vaguely, Mara mentally reassured her bonded that the crater would indeed still be there.

And indeed it was.

As the two males descended from the skies, Gaucho's dark gaze once again took in the immense depth and intrigue of the newly found under-ground system of caves. Nostrils flared, he tucked his wings lightly against his sweat-covered sides - which were growing increasingly moist due to the heat of the Heart. As Africa inquired if they should enter, the dun grinned. "We not come all this way for nothing." He mumbled, apparently trying to make a joke. The grin fell from his lips as his gaze turned inwards. Ever the soldier, Gaucho drew himself to his full height, moving to the front of the group. There was a pathway which wound-down the wall of the cave, to what seemed like a landing deep within. Both Mara and Gaucho's gaze were wide, their bodies obvious on alert, as the trio descended. The snake's fangs lightly bit Gaucho's ear, causing a single bead of blood to form - but that was all that was needed to use his magic. Three large ethereal shapes formed from his antlers - slowly flowing out, and taking form. They grew to the size of small dogs, but their form was clearly avian. The spirit-eagles flew soundless ahead - letting the light from their bodies reflect into the darkness and illuminate the crystalline walls of the caves.

Coming to the bottom of the pathway, Gaucho grunted, his antlered skull looking from left to right. The caves seemed to go on in both directions for an undescernable length of time. Moving towards one of the crystal walls, Gaucho knocked against it with his antlers. The sound was dull, and Gaucho's brows furrowed together as if confused. Moving to stand even closer, he tilted his body, trying to scratch his collar of spikes against the wall. Turning to inspect his work, his eyes alight with surprise, as he looked towards Midas and Africa. "No mark at all." He advised, clearly intrigued by the hardened properties of the wall.

Image Credits

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
 Midas</style>

quote quote quote
quote quote quote

The young phoenix stretched her head passively across my spine, nearly purring as a contented cat might and all the while clicking her beak together uneasily. This show of affection is rare and spurred by a strong dislike for caves and dark little hollows. When Silas clacked his predator like bill together Fina stiffened and turned her attention his way as if just now realizing that he was in the group. Tenderness was quickly washed away, tiny bird brows narrowed as her streamline body rose from the mass of ivory feathers that had cradled it. Endless fire scorched her back, streaming beautifully down each feather into hues of gold and red. Narrowed eyes purposely drew away from the dark avian in a faced of disinterest. But such was a lie, she puffed out her chest and fanned those long flaming feathers across my spine All in a vain effort to appear collected, unattached.

A rare smile formed on Guacho’s face, raising his sweaty brow in amusement that lasted for the briefest of moments. Since Africa didn’t know of this cavern and I didn’t know much about caverns in general, there was no qualms when Guacho pushed ahead and choose to travel first. I’d not been raised for caves of any sort and as we passed the arch there was a tightening flutter alive, it caused my head to glance up halfway expecting a trap to suddenly spring as the mountain laughed gleefully while it flattened our compact bodies into mush. Fina cringed and very nearly started whimpering before again realizing that Silas was watching. Eagles guided our path, a boon from Guacho’s ability to produce spirits from his talisman.

I followed after Gaucho, close to his flank yet aware of Africa and her needs. Ears and eye swivel as we crunch along, keeping close watch of the walls we encountered on this fire lite path. The way was spun effortlessly and carried us to a wide cavern, were we are able to finally stand apart instead of standing single file. The dun stallion stalks over to a nearby wall, scrapping the glass like stone with his bone arrangement that rested close to breast.

We stood as wide eyed children in this mighty place, “Extraordinary,” I whisper in awe. Fina cowers slightly, glancing up toward the dark ceiling she knew existed even if we couldn't see it. “Let’s travel a little deeper,” if one listened carefully they might hear the sound of something flowing, “I hear rushing water.”

Deceased

They tell me I’m too young to understand
They say I’m caught up in a dream

Should the bubbling enthusiasm dancing through her expression have been any more potent, she might have missed completely the momentary grin; the generous attempt to pass a joke by her fidgeting ears, by the antlered warrior. To her he was strangely distant, a creature who was intriguing and challenged her ideas of normalcy, but at the same time too intimidating to truly approach. The dappled mare was used to those with a blander exposé; the weak, the ailing and the vulnerable alike were all sorts she found comfort in tending to, and Gaucho seemed ridged, fierce and strong- aloof and abrasive, though only perhaps because of her nervous unwillingness to venture nearer. At the hint of that smile, she was taken aback and found something like silly coyness clouding her eyes. It was the ever so slightly softer side, maybe, that she had never realised existed. Appropriately she giggled along, though it was more a subtle and derisive stab at herself than anything else.

Gaucho transferred himself to the front of the small troop and continued then, and the one-winged grey was glad to be pulled from the pit of her ever-churning thoughts. As Gaucho walked with echoing clicks of hoof against stone, Africa noticed a strange glow about the antlers which towered above them all. Curiously (but without surprise, because by now she had been witness to a great many phenomenon’s in Helovia), she witnessed the emergence of glowing bodies of light shaped much like both Fina and Silas. They were rather beautiful in this dark subterranean world where even the palest hues of moonlight did not flare, and she watched adoringly as they drifted in silent unison down the corridor ahead. Midas followed soon after, and Africa tightly behind- though not so close that the brush of a careless nose might bother the tail of her gold fringed friend.

Still she was glad for the company around her, the presence of such valour giving her much needed confidence so far now (it felt like) from home. Though comfortable she was below the ground, in the most unfitting of locations for their kind, Africa was not content so much when she did not have the security of the Throat’s border wrapped snugly around her girth- she was grateful for the prowess of their army, and those who defended the wall so tirelessly.

When at last they paused by the mouth of a large cavern, the dappled mare stepped from her rearward position to peer with wonder filled eyes at the gaping fire-lit room around them. Gaucho moved to the wall, though Africa’s eyes were gambolling through the cool, dewy air all around. Her still focused ears heard a wordless breath leak from the lips of the black and white stallion nearby, and slightly louder; more comprehendible, the revelation of the dun that the walls were unmarred by his touch. With the playful innocence of a competitive child, the young Pegasus moved closer to Gaucho to graze the strange surface herself, reaching upwards her knee so that a sharp, chipped hoof could be thrust at it. She blushed invisibly beneath a sheet of pale grey as eyes narrowed upon the clean expanse of wall- certainly if one so primed as Gaucho had not been able to wound it, what hope had she to even try!

Silas croaked quietly, resting unaffected upon her rump as she turned to follow the sound of Midas’ suggestion to delve still further. Like him, as her roused pulse began to mellow, Africa noticed the soft murmur of water rising from the depths and she nodded without speaking, waiting for either to start them forwards again. She wondered in secret if such a cave might be the saviour should something sinister like the endless night ever fall across the country again. She and her beloved Zephyr had survived well on the bountiful slicks of algae and moss, which also laced in parts the floor they walked upon now. Perhaps all of Helovia might have similar inklings though, and there was no way possible a cave (no matter how deep), could sustain the life of more than one herd.

Ascended Helovian

Gaucho watched as the grey mare moved to his side. With interest, he turned his antlered skull towards her, wondering if perhaps she possessed some magic that would allow her to dent the wall. As her hoof raised, struck, and left the wall just as before, Gaucho nodded emotionlessly. Whereas another male might have smiled, or chuckled competitively, Gaucho's primitive mind merely stored the information - perhaps it would serve useful later.

A dark ear swiveled as Midas spoke of rushing water. As the stillness of the cave settled in his mind, the dun found that he too could hear it. It seemed odd to him, that water could flow so deep underground. Would there perhaps be others who actually lived in these caves?

With a deep masculine grunt, Gaucho turned from Africa, and continued the descent. Gaucho's spirit creatures continued to flit and twirl, casting their blue-ish light against the walls of the cave. "Gaucho see something -" he advised, stopping abruptly. His deep resonant voice echoed down through the cavern, until the sound of Midas' water seemed to swallow it up. "Here - " Turning to face the wall of the cave, Gaucho's spirits flew close, illuminating the area. There, clearly marked, were many drawings. Some looked etched with a horn, or some sort of crude device - others looked clearly created by magic.

"Others" The Sultan whispered ominously, turning to Midas and Africa, his dark features ignited with interest and intrigue.

Image Credits