the Rift

[OPEN] Mirror, Mirror, On the Wall, Who is the Least Welcome of All?

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod
Torleik
A lone man loved by none:

How long can he live?

Ever-nomadic in spirit and wishing to introduce his companion to as many new places as possible, Torleik wandered out of the Basin and to the west, along the coastline. As much as the mountain range would allow, anyway. Irelyn was beginning to watch other birds fly and make feeble attempts at taking to the air herself. Every time she flapped and fluttered and thunked to the ground, his heart would lurch, hoping the little creature wasn't hurt.

She never was. He guess he should have taken into account that she couldn't get enough height to harm herself, but sometimes she would leap from her nest on his back like a madwoman and recklessly go for it. She attempted this very thing right at that moment and Torleik grunted, giving her a pointed look when she seemed grumpy about hitting the earth so hard.

"It isn't going to suddenly not hurt, Irelyn," he admonished, leaning his head down so she could grapple with his horns and climb back to her nest with his mane as a guide-rope. Torleik was unaware the land he was walking in was known as the World's Edge, and he was even more unaware of the tensions it held with the Basin and their inhabitants. His arrival had been after whatever hostilities the two herdlands had conducted passed.

So, blissfully ignorant of his the trespass his presence would be considered, the dual-horned demon continued on, remembering. Last he had been here, a strange mare had been on the ground, the waves lapping around her body. Torleik tried to help, but had been set upon by Kahlua and Resplendence - the latter who had been in possession of a dagger. He still didn't understand why they had wanted him gone from their beach. Was his help not wanted? Should he have simply let the mare in question drown? Would that not have made him complicit in a murder by his inaction?

A sensation from his bond with Irelyn brought him out of how deeply he was buried within his thoughts, the feeling simply translated as 'pretty...' if, perhaps, his companion knew how to speak. Curious, he looked up and did not see what the owl griffin was fascinated with right away. However, it soon became apparent something was...off...about the sky here. Everything seemed wobbly and distorted.

Was there some kind of magical field? Approaching with great caution, the blue-eyed demon reached out with a tentative hoof and expected pain upon contact with whatever it was, wincing and turning his head away.

His hoof was halted, and nothing happened.

Hm. Anticlimactic.

Looking closer, the unicorn suddenly understood, and he was simultaneously awed and fascinated. It was glass! A massive wall of glass! "Amazing!" he breathed, eyes scaling up to try to find the boundaries of this magnificent creation. Who had constructed this? How had they accomplished it? How was it completed so quickly? Having no personal quarrel with the equines, Torleik did not assume this was meant to keep his kind out, and his curiosity pushed him on to discover more. He walked along the giant barrier until he believed he saw an opening ahead, and wondered if there would be any watchmen or guards. Perhaps they could answer his questions?

[[Sadly uninformed Torleik is sadly uninformed. I'd like him to learn about the snarky snarks between the World's Edge and the Basin, and this wall is a perfect talking point to kick off that discussion. I would prefer for him not to immediately get run off if y'all don't mind, because I'd really like him to be able to learn more history of what's taken place before he arrived. Open to any who'd like to help me/my boy out!]]

Credits: Image by Eagle
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan

"Seems leaving glazier post was for better" the dragon mused as she lazily swooped along the smooth curve of the wall, wingtips merely inches from scraping into the clear glass. Lace grunted and kept his eyes firmly onwards, refusing to watch as his soul-mate toyed with death. He trusted her abilities in the sky, but also knew that she was far from invulnerable. A fall from that height would hurt, she could have her wings broken, the tail dislodged, neck twisted or the talons shattered or..

"Silly, I won't fall" she laughed, a trilling warble of delight that bounced off the glistening surface and disappeared between the tall trees. She was exited about being home again, despite still meandering on the wrong side of the newly built structure - Lace on the other hand wasn't as cheerful. The prospect of stumbling into familiar faces was exceedingly high, and he had no excuses to give for his prolonged absence from the mist-veiled forest. None that should reach the ears of the masses at least; it was bad enough that he was at odds with the queen, he didn't want to undermine her position with the rest of the herd... Not without due cause.

Still, he couldn't deny that he missed the comforts of being surrounded by family and friends. For all that spending time at the World's Edge had a way of making him miserable and grumpy, the boons of not having to be on high alert all the time greatly outweighed the euphoria of freedom he gained by traveling. The summer had been calm, without greater incidents - despite that the grullo wouldn't feel truly safe until he had passed the borders and stood side by side with his brothers and sisters once more.

A faint smile played on the dusky lips as he thought about them, wondering how they had fared in the hot weather. Rishima had surely disappeared to endure the heat in her own solitude, sparing both herself and others from the sharpness of her tongue. Sage likely hadn't taken such precautions - without doubt the palomino had been chasing Kaj and Destrier around, pestering them for duels to determine who among them were the stronger. Whether the WingLeads had been able to keep their positions or not was hard to say; they were both strong and able-bodied, but so was the hard-headed mare. Madyrn and Maskan had no doubt been following the warriors with interest, laughing at both sides and taking the chance to tease the looser into getting revenge - Aaron might have tried to stop them, only to be dragged into the mess himself, getting soundly beaten for the effort.

And Smoke... The smile faded on the stallions face, expression dropping as he thought back to last time he had seen the healer. She had witnessed his childish temper tantrum, seen him discard what Mirage had offered... Had she gone back to the herd since that day in the beginning of the summer, or had she too remained absent from the family?

Unaware of the frown that creased the soft skin around the eyes, the gold-backed stallion slipped around a tree that stood close to the wall and stopped dead in his tracks, senses suddenly on high alert as the sound of a voice had reached the pricked ears. What he saw made bells of alarm ring through the mind; answering to the sudden shift in emotion the dragon beat the wings harder and swooped forth with a high-pitched shriek - intended to alert the border patrols that should be surveying the area. Whether they were anywhere close to this place however...

But this could not be ignored. Muscles swelled in preparation as Lace regarded the figure up ahead with cold suspicion, noticing the big hoof that slipped from the glass wall and the curved horns that jutted from the broad poll. The brute was big, no more than a hand taller than Lace but far thicker in built, swarthy in hue and decidedly menacing in appearance (at least in his eyes, mares might find the stallion possessing a rugged charm that was of little to no use in this situation). His presence by the border was bad enough, the fingering of the barrier to safeguard a group persistently attacked by his kind did not improve his case, and as he began to walk towards and opening "Finally, there it was!" Lace wouldn't take it anymore.

"Hey you, what do you think you are you doing?" he called out, the smooth voice unusually cold and stern as he fell into a trot and approached the stranger, vivid yellow eyes bearing down upon the bearded unicorn. Fajira cued in and made a swoop forward to cut off his path, teeth bared in a growl but without displaying any of the lethal fire she was capable of releasing.. at least for now.

Dim vales- and shadowy floods-
And cloudy-looking woods,
Whose forms we can't discover
For the tears that drip all over!
Huge moons there wax and wane-
Again- again- again-
- bg - table - image -
BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
The Store | The Warden

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
K A H L U A
A shriek- surely one of the dragon calls she had grown so used to in her time here in the Edge- cried out in the lands, awakening the girl from an afternoon slumber. Even so many days and weeks after building the wall, Kahlua would still find herself drained and weary for no discernible reason. Perhaps she had pushed herself too hard in building the thing, but Kahlua was a deadly combination of 'stupid' and 'desire to please her master.' Had she been war-minded, the girl would have made the perfect evil henchman. After all, who better to carry out your tasks than someone who won't question you (and who wouldn't have the mental capacity to even if they did want to ask questions)?

Her slumber had been easy this day, unlike the so many days before. There were plenty of days where the girl dreamed of demons with horns, the fires of hell, another never-ending night... She dreamed of stallions with burned faces and mares with golden socks, foals that she did not want and a life where friends could not be found. The girls brain stored plenty of nightmares, ready to dispense them at the hint of a closed eyelid, but this cat nap had been free of all the terrors. In fact, today's dreams had been as far from nightmares as was possible.

Today, behind closed lids, her brain had conjured images of a stallion. What stallion? It was hard to say. The male seemed to mold and morph before her eyes, hardly letting her get a good look before he changed his shape or species, his color or height and danced off, ever just out of reach. Of course, being an imbecile in one's waking hours often translates to dreams. Neither in sleep nor consciousness was she able to make sense of the imagery. If it had a meaning, it was lost on the girl (as so many things were). Still, something had felt very comforting about the ever changing dream; therefore, it was especially concerning that the dragon's cry should be what woke her. It figures that if she could finally find peace in dreams, she would find terror in her day life.

Shaking her mane out, the girl picked up a trot and moved towards the sound before she knew what she was doing. She was always forced to choose between her instinct to run from danger and her instinct to find out what was going on. Today, however, it seemed she would not be forced to sit and think. Her body acted almost without the input of her neurons as she moved down the length of the wall. At least, while she was moving, she could take in the splendor of the massive creation and let a smile grace her lips. Would she ever lose her pride at creating such a thing? She doubted it.

When she finally reached where she was going, it was easy enough to see the commotion. As her black and white head poked out from the opening she had made, she found Torleik and Lace. At least Lace's words were somewhat nicer than her own had been to Torleik the Unicorn at their first meeting. In a rare moment of thought, Kahlua bit back a natural desire to scream at the horned beast. He had left peacefully enough last time he had trespassed. Still, she couldn't help but voicing her pouty opinion. “Wasn't once enough? Why are you back?” She really should have known better, of course. Hadn't she just planned a trip to his home to deliver a gift? Wouldn't she be standing on the door of an enemy with a good heart? But the girl was not smart enough to think of these things and so she watched him intensely, just nodding a greeting to Lace.

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Torleik

How long can he live?

Torleik heard a strange cry echo around him and tensed. What was that? He had never heard that before. Muscles and focus tightening, he looked around quickly now, suspiciously. They were not alone, and he refused to be taken by surprise - especially with how vulnerable Irelyn was, still a babe at this point in her life. "I okay," his griffin reassured, taking any opportunity to use her expanding vocabulary. She was just now getting a tentative grasp on identity words such as I, you, me, they, and so Torleik welcomed her practice.

"For now," Torleik grunted, stiffening as he glimpsed a wash of white coming his way. Who was this? As they came closer, he found it was an equine and - foolishly, in hindsight - he relaxed some. For his actions, he was met with a demanding inquiry and then he noticed the dragon. Luckily, his previous encounter with Ophelia's bonded, Tinek, had shown him that not all things that flew were horrible, and his acquisition of Irelyn was further proof of that.

This dragon, however, tried to set his evolving and progressive views back a few steps by dive-bombing him and baring its teeth. Instinctively, the dual-horned demon jerked himself backwards, watching in horror as his little owl griffin, his little Irelyn suddenly launched herself from her nest on his back. She flapped valiantly in the air for a few seconds, her neck reaching out towards the offending dragon, intending to bite it if she could - but her beak snapped shut on empty air and then she tumbled to the ground.

A panicky, dreadful sort of fear overtook him and Torleik utterly ignored the stallion, the dragon, everything else. Swiftly moving between himself and his fallen companion, he leaned down and began to inspect her - invasively, in her opinion. "I okay," she grunted in his head, but he was not so sure. That fall had hurt, he'd felt it through their bond.

"You can't fly yet - what were you thinking?!" Torleik demanded.

"No," Irelyn said sullenly, directing her attention towards the dragon.

He was touched by her attempt to protect him and put the dragon in its place, but concerned at this new facet of Irelyn's behavior. She couldn't just go leaping from his back every time there was a minor threat. She could get eaten, burnt, clawed, killed. "Irelyn..." Torleik started, but stopped when his gaze was met with defiantly stubborn owlish eyes. He felt that she knew anything he was about to say, but that she'd leap out and try to bite that dragon again if the opportunity presented itself. With a sigh, he leaned down further and let her climb back onto him by his mane, only satisfied when she was firmly settled back in her nest.

Now, he turned his attention to this white stallion and his...dragon. "I am taking a walk for my companion's sake," he growled slowly and deliberately. "Do you often allow yours to threaten others unbidden?" Torleik's demand was tight and angry. A mare he'd had the displeasure of dealing with before came upon them, then, and he half expected her to shriek at him once more and demand that he leave posthaste.

To his surprise, Kahlua merely tossed rather bitchy words his way - minus any threats or ultimatums to get out. He considered her questions and tried to understand. What was their intense dislike for him? He had done nothing to these equines. In fact, when he'd met Kahlua, he'd been trying to save one of her kind from drowning! "I haven't the slightest inkling what I've done to offend you both, but I tire of this pathetic little game," Torleik grunted. "I am a free male, able to walk where I wish, look as I wish, and teach my bonded, as I wish. I have no quarrel with either of you; you with the dragon I have never seen before, and you, mare - I do not know why you hate me, even though our first meeting found me attempting to save one of yours from a lungful of ocean."

If this was going to turn into a scuffle, Torleik wished somewhere to protect Irelyn. Casting his eyes about, he could find no suitable land, and quietly despaired that his little one might come to harm. Retreat was a far better option, he thought. He could repair wounded pride much easier than a wounded companion.

@[Lace]
@[Kahlua]

[[OOC Tagging just 'cause it's been a while, just in case. No need to tag after me, just making sure y'all know I LIVE lol]]

No man is an island.

A small gryphon, probably no more than a hatchling, unleashed itself from the back of the unicorn and attempted to snap at Fajira as she blocked the path through the gate. A cold, mocking trill of a laughter ran like icy waters from her maw as the babe fell back to the ground, and as if to show how flying was supposed to be done the white dragon flapped her wings and arched up and back in the air, drawling a perfect loop with her flexible body, only to level out with a graceful flick of the tail. The snort she gave off to hammer down her point was laden with red-hot sparks; then she turned the attention away from the flightless dove and began circling the air above the gate, guarding it with teeth bared and threatening growls; just in case the nameless stranger would be foolish enough to try and pass again.

Lace went even further than that. As he approached the rugged stallion his senses reached out to the nearby trees, and without an outward hint of what he was doing he urged the roots to grow, piercing up through the soil to weave a barricade to effectively block the path through the opening. Thin yet tough coils wobbled and danced on their path upwards, veering elegantly for Kahlua's head and forming a cob-webbed pattern that would remain until the silver stallion was sure there was no threat to the herd anymore.

"I wouldn't call it unprovoked" he retorted coolly and placed himself in front of the barricade, sparing his painted herd-sister a quick smile in recognition before turning to award the intruder with his full attention. "I don't care whether you're a king or slave, you have no right to walk into the land of the Qian without invitation, unicorn. Especially not when you reek of ice and blood. I'll bet the hairs on my tail that he's from the Basin," he said and turned the head half around, addressing the Glazier with a knowing smirk. "I don't know any other horses stupid enough not to get the message when they're faced with a giant wall... "

"Playing ignorant too, what a sly one" he added, returning to stare coldly at the horned one, uncaring about both the offended sound of his voice or the small hybrid creature on the ground; it was too small to be a threat, and with Fajira guarding the sky above ready to rain hellfire down on all of them Lace felt no need to worry.

"I suggest you turn around and walk freely somewhere else, stranger. Perhaps back north where you belong - I'm sure one of your cut-throat friends would be willing to tell you why unicorns aren't welcome at the World's Edge."

Again- again- again-
- bg - table - image -
The Store | The Warden

K A H L U A
For a moment, the girl's heart actually went out to dual-horned stallion. As his companion, which the overo girl did find rather cute, went tumbling to the ground and the stallion rushed forth she couldn't help but feel concern with him and for him. If she was smart enough to think about it, she would have once more wondered if her views were confused. After all, didn't the stallion hurt the same way she would have if it were to happen to her? Didn't he feel love for the little thing that he was in charge of? But she did not think these things, and as soon as the little creature crawled her way back up to the safety her of nest, Kahlua let any compassion she had for the foreign stallion go with the wind. This was her home, and she would see it safe- even if it meant being a coward until she gained victory like the last time she fought.

As he grumbled his dissatisfaction at lace, the girl lowered her ears back, shifting uneasily as she kept her head poking around the wall's edge. She wasn't really sure she was ready to go out and meet him. Luckily, she didn't have to. Suddenly, from the ground, roots grew up from the ground, weaving up and around her, creating a barrier where there had been none before. She marveled at the magic for a moment before shoving her head back through the hole that had been left and listening to the continued conversation.

“You were on our land!” she cried indignantly, as soon as the Basiner had finished speaking, her words overlaying Lace's somewhat. “And she wasn't of the Edge.” She was pouting again, for no reason other than she was sullen and spoiled. Lace was much more composed as he continued on, addressing her and confirming what little information she had already thought she knew. She caught eyes with her WeyrLeader as he looked her way, chuckling softly as he mocked the intelligence of the intruder. Nice as she was, the girl did not have a soft spot for the cruel unicorns of the North- especially not when they wandered onto the Qian's land.

“And besides,” she began, voice childish as ever, “How many of yours would be welcoming if we showed up on your doorstep?” It was the logic of a fool- 'we're only doing it because you're doing it.' It was the only logic she knew. As Lace instructed the stallion to turn and head home, Kahlua nodded emphatically, punctuating the sentiment and encouraging the rabicano to turn and be on his way. There was nothing here for him, especially not with the root-borne door that was blocking his way into the land now. However, as her eyes once again caught sight of little Irelyn, Kahlua could not help but smile slightly to the creature. Of course the griffin had no part in who she was bonded to. Kahlua could not blame her.

Edited to fix the problematic attack that was the snort and the sparks of fire directed towards Irelyn's general location, which Torleik would not at all like.

Torleik

How long can he live?

The rage that ignited within him as he saw this white stallion's dragon direct a fiery, sparking snort at his defenseless companion was unmatched. What kind of soulless bastard was this equine, to have his bonded companion behave so? "You would harm a defenseless babe?!" the dual-horned stallion exploded. "What manner of debauched, amoral fuck are you?! I swear to you, if so much as a feather of my companion's is harmed..." Torleik trailed, the violence in his words a terrible promise that only the most blinded, idiotic fool would ignore. They could try to harm him in whatever way they wanted, but they could not attack an innocent baby animal. He watched with broiling ire as the roots from the trees of the surrounding area suddenly burst from the ground and created a barrier, preventing him from entering the land past this wall.

That was fine with him. He was finding he rather preferred the aloof, imperial company of his own kind to the boorish, painfully self-absorbed and ignorant ways of these equines. What had he ever done to them? He was taking a quiet walk with his youngling of a companion. How in the nine hells was he any form of a threat? Torleik's eyes narrowed in a special kind of hate reserved for fools and those whom he would not pity in death when this stallion who looked as if he was too stupid to avoid a cobweb at head-height called him more lacking in intelligence than any other horse.

Still, the Viking held his tongue as best he could despite his prior outburst at the threat towards Irelyn, having been raised with far more class than these two could ever understand or possibly comprehend with the single brain cell between them. "As you seem to be incapable of understanding what I said prior, perhaps due to the rapidity of my speech, I will spell it out very slowly for you," he said. "I was driven from my home to this place just before your season of Tallsun began. I have been here a very short time." He paused, making sure the dolts were following, having utterly ignored Kahlua's ignorant spoutings. Having encountered them before, he put little stock in the girl's words; she was obviously vapid, which was a shame. Torleik pitied her in her vacuous existence.

"I haven't the slightest fucking clue who this 'Qian' of yours is because - let me state this clearly once more for you - I have been here all of a single season. I. Have. No. Quarrel. With. Either of you. My home did not have these...pathetically juvenile land distinctions. My people traded with others as they passed through. I have met many equines, unicorns and pegasi alike in my time - but you two," the glacier-eyed demon growled quietly, the tone more menacing than if he had been yelling, "are perhaps the most vile, ignorant, hateful two equines I have ever had the displeasure of coming across. I was taking a walk. I saw this magnificent wall. I was hoping to simply learn of its purpose and who created it, so I might offer them praise for their impressive work. Otherwise, let me assure you, I give less than a fuck about what you do in your land."

The rabicano stallion lifted his head proudly and glanced at the flying scaled rat atop the wall, wishing he could trample the disgusting thing beneath his hooves for trying to harm his Irelyn - his Irelyn who was trembling in her nest, afraid of the hate and violence she was feeling from her bonded. Torleik noticed this and felt such guilt that he could not stand it, and bent his neck around to softly nuzzle his babe. 'Shh, little one. I am sorry - you should not have to feel such things. One day you will understand why I feel this way, but for now, know I would never hurt you. You are far too important to me.'

She looked at him with wide, innocent, trusting eyes and his heart hurt to know that one day, that innocence would be taken from her despite his best efforts to keep her sheltered. Turning back to the two offending equines, he snorted in thinly veiled disgust. "If either of you understands what it means to be civil, I invite you to try it now. So that I might avoid such encounters as this in the future, I would welcome an explanation for your thus far inexplicable hate towards me, someone who has been here far too short of a time to have managed any crimes against any of your kind."

No man is an island.

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

There is trouble at the wall.

Kaj is above, where none of the three can reach him, coasting along the airways pleasantly. It is so nice, up there where nobody can bother him, where he doesn't have to remember that yes, he is an outsider who is welcomed like a brother. He doesn't want to have to touch down and be troubled with their language, he doesn't want to miss Onni's soft, smiling face, and he doesn't want to remember how lost he is here. He loves the Edge, it is in his blood, has been since he first laid eyes upon it. But how can he live in a herd that has become so complacent since the wall was erected? Regardless, it seems there is no complacency now, for the hostility seems to increase as he hovers there in uncertainty. Lace and Kahlua are welcome, familiar sights to his eyes. Should he not trust them to handle this? But as much as he loves and respects them, though the emotions separate depending on whom is being spoken of, it just seems...wrong. Something is twisting in his gut, and his heart tells him he must intervene. It is harassment, even if he does not know it for sure.

Dipping his wings he is plummeting, and in the dark whisper in the back of his head, he wonders what would happen if he just...didn't open them again. Shaking them away he lands with a soft whisper, far back from the trio and advancing on foot. He remains in the mists, listening, silent. And anger swells inside, listening to how they treat this visitor, and when the stag's bonded is harmed...Kaj can stand it no longer. He explodes like a hurricane from the cover of the trees, face like a thunderstorm, and eyes of lightning. "STOP THIS!" It is a roar, the lion inside rising to its mantle with claws scraping brimstone, ready to defend with royal blood and mighty crown.

He swivels as he advances, shielding Torleik with his body shall the stag not move, and he feels his heart break that, once again, he is rising against his family. Tail lashes angrily against his hocks, nostrils flaring and shining vibrant red in the cold air. "What have we become?! Attacking innocent blood, treating someone this way when they are visiting peacefully?! Your discrimination against those who have horns is as despicable and guilty as the racism of the majority!" His insides quiver, because oh god what is he doing, his mouth is running away from him, but like hell he can stop it now. Oh fuck, please let this be worth it, he prays. Is he risking everything by telling them what he thinks? Perhaps. Kaj is unaware of the title Lace now holds, after all. But how can he face them like this, so disgusted in their behavior, when he is supposed to be on their side? He doesn't want to look at Kahlua, see how she responds, because she is so dear to him...but this is simply not the Kahlua he knows, the kind one with a heart of gold and the patience of a saint. This is...someone completely different, and it hurts him to see her so cruel and unforgiving.

Turning so that he may view them both, Torleik on his right and the other two on his left, worried cerulean eyes sway to the horned stag. "Friend, if I may call you so without angering you...please tell me, is your precious one hurt? If I have to give up my title, by the Gods I will so long as she is healed. I know of a friend, in the sunny valley of the south, she may help as well." His heart is breaking, crumbling, turning into dust and diamonds scattered across the floor of his cavernous chest. Where he hailed from, bonded animals- or dierbaren, as they were called in his homeland- were sacred and precious in ways that were insurmountable. They were equivalent to a newborn foal of royal blood, or a minor God. To see Torleik's griffin treated such, especially when his or her youth was obvious...to him, it was a sign of betrayal, regardless of alliances and races.

Sighing he looks at Lace and Kahlua, the static electricity of his eyes sparking wildly in his anger, of no godly gift, but made of the pure mortal sin called emotion. "This man has done nothing to deserve this treatment! He has come with a kind eye and curious word, and Kahlua, you should be proud he is so interested in your creation!" It is spat, like a cobra, to rest on the ground between them. Is his inability to understand their behavior obvious? He pleads to the Gods that it is, because he loves them beyond measure, but his morals will not allow this kind of interaction. "If he is so new here, how could he have created such bad blood? Will you condemn him, merely because he is a unicorn, and maybe from the Auroras? Your hatred is as blind as the ones who tried to take our home from us. Are we really so low as to be just as racist?" Scoffing he growls beneath his breath and tries to unpinch his brow when he turns it towards the nameless face once more.

"I am sorry for how you have been treated...there is no excuse. Even if you are of the Lights, you have come with no ill intentions...had our clans still held bad blood and hatred, you should not have been condemned for hailing from there. After all, there is surely something in your home to love, yes? We all have choices to make." His throat wobbles as he swallows, wondering if this is his ultimatum. His defining moment. He hopes not, he has so much left to say. To Mirage, and Kahlua, and oh god Resplendence...but his heart is firm. Kaj has always listened acutely to the soft whispers of that delicate organ, for it always spoke the truth, even if it was not always the choice that was considered correct. Matters of the heart were always far more accurate and trustworthy than the tempest of the mind.

"As for an explanation...I can only speculate, broer. The Auroras invaded, last season. We were triumphant, but the hatred has spread like disease. It is not so hard to understand, is it? We are mortal, we are full of sin. We fall to racism when we once advocated against it. We have lost much...the blood spilt between the Ocean dwellers and the Snow is black and foul...I fear...I fear that we will never reach an end, broer." His voice is soft, defeated, and his head is low, dejected. Running to the defense of someone who may have been in the hoard that had attempted to take his home...it was risky. But...somehow, he could not bring himself to regret his decision to speak out.

Lords of the Wilds, save his soul.

Translations:
Broer - Brother
Dierbaren - Precious Ones

Hope it's okay I jumped in! I have lots of Kaj muse! :D And he needs to stir up some stuff~!

KAJ
Everybody with your fists raised high-
Let me hear your battle cry

image credits
table by whit

RedGod - I would appreciate if you address this issue in a PM instead, and I will gladly respond to your concerns.
For the time being, I would like to point out to all involved that Fajira has not so much as TOUCHED Irelyn - the one who attacked was her, and the only damage inflicted to her has come from her own fall to the ground. All Fajira did in response was laugh and show off.

The rugged stallion exploded in a long tirade of words, and as he was talked back to Lace listened with ears flattened against the neck and lips pressed tightly together, grimly doing his best to keep a normally complacent temper from flaring. When all of a sudden Kaj appeared and threw himself into the discussion, the grullo took a deep breath and listened with closed eyes as his WingLeader emptied his heart - when all finally lay bared and bleeding on the ground between them and voices had stilled, the gray equine opened dusky lids once more and gave all the gathered horses a sweeping glare with piercing yellow eyes.

"Are you all quite done now? Then let me speak." The voice was cold and clear, calm and yet so firm that it allowed for no one to interrupt. "First of all; calm down. Your comrade is unharmed, stranger. Fajira has not touched her, nor would she ever do so unprovoked. If you remember, the one to take a launch was your hatchling, and I will not be blamed for your own lack of control."

"Secondly, it is none of my business how long you have spent in Helovia or what the customs were in your old lands. That goes for both of you" he said and gave Kaj a sharp look. "If you have, as you stated, spent a season in this land, then you have had a full season to make yourself familiar with the current politics of this area. I take no responsibility for your own ignorance, nor will I apologize for jumping to conclusions. Our herd has suffered repeated attacks from unicorns over the past two years, several that was completely unprovoked. Kaj, you should remember this. You should also remember that it was unicorns that murdered two of our kin without any provocation what so ever, simply because they were of a different race."

The eyes of the grullo turned hard at the mention of the fatalities, an expression that didn't thaw in the slightest as he returned to address the horned one.

"From my standpoint, you were sneaking around the borders of my home, attempting to intrude upon my land with neither invitation nor explanation. And when you were asked for a purpose you replied in a cheeky tone without offering a proper explanation - and no I don't see curiosity as a proper reason to enter within these walls. Not when I know neither name nor affiliation of the person in question, and have no one to vouch for your good intentions. I have every reason to be suspicious of unicorns, and I will continue to be for as long as the Reaper rules in the North. "

A tap of a black hoof against the ground hammered down the statement with firm finality, and as he with a quiet summon to his dragon turned towards the loose-tongued pegasus, the calm expression was broken by a displeased frown. Unflinching as Fajira landed on his withers, a low growl rumbling through her throat in reflection of his pent up emotions he gave the WingLeader a stern look.
"You shouldn't be so trusting, Kaj. It is unsuitable for a WingLeader to accept any and all who come to our borders without exception. I do not ask you to step aside from your gentle ways, but I do expect a general to at least keep the best interest of the herd in mind whenever he acts. If you still think I'm being harsh, then try asking Aaron, Azale and Sakura what they think about letting unfamiliar unicorns into the herd - or Mirage, since she was the one who approved of the construction of this wall in the first place. It is not a decoration, soldier. It is a first line of defense and stands here for a very good reason."

With that he grew silent, remaining where he was with head held high and an unyielding expression that hinted of rock-hard stubbornness. They could protest, complain and whine all they wanted; Lace had said what he would say, and no objections from their parts would change his mind. He had already stated his opinion on the matter; Torleik was not welcome beyond the wall, and that the King of the Edge stood fast by.

Again- again- again-
- bg - table - image -
The Store | The Warden

Evangeline the Pure Posts: 199
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 :: 10
Tallis :: Common Orange Dragon :: Fire Breath & Toxic Breath ali
Voices all a mixture of irritation, mild anger, exasperation, defensiveness, and aggression filtered between the trees of Evangeline's new found home. It made the orange mare's stomach feel sour and Tallis shifted uneasily at the sudden change in his bonded's demeanor. He balanced himself on the mare's neck then shoved himself upward, orange wings beating against the air as he hefted his body upward and then he was off flying silently through the trees, black eyes searching the ground below. She was new here, Evangeline reminded herself, but how could she not be curious and investigate something that so disrupted the peace? Tallis guided her from his position overhead and as she walked the voices grew louder, two of which she recognized from the Threshold as Lace and Kahlua.

As Evangeline came upon the scene she found herself listening to Lace berate a stallion named Kaj, whom she assumed to be pegasus since there was a very real sense of dislike for the unicorn that was on their land. The orange dragon circled overhead, trilling occasionally to the two companions below. Gradually he began to descend, his circles focusing over the pegasus male, whom he trilled to gently before alighting upon his back since he seemed to be one of the focuses of reprimand.

"If I may intrude." Evangeline said as she stepped forth. "I may be new, but I know a tone of racism when I hear it." She did not focus on one individual but looked from one to the other. "I understand that you were wronged on more than one occasion, from what I've overheard, but that does not make such a tone of hatefulness right." She would never understand why racism was deemed necessary, but she wished she could abolish it completely from the world. It was a waste of time and energy and she firmly believed that if everyone put as much time into helping one another as they did hating one another the world would be a paradise. "Have you ever heard the phrase 'An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind?'" She asked the painted mare as she tried to justify herself by asking what the Basin would do. She said no more so that the mare would think about what she said and continued on.

"I lived in Helovia when the World's Edge belonged to the unicorns and it was the Qian that came in and invaded. I am not saying that it is right for them to do what you say they've done, but I cannot fully fault them for the grudge that they may still hold within their hearts. Nor can I fault you for your grudge, but one of you will have to be the bigger stallion and put forth some kind of effort to end the ridiculous feud that was started, lest you desire your home to be reduced to ashes and bodies because the only thing you're doing is breeding hatred and making a nesting ground for war." There was the question in the back of her mind of how the group would react to her words, but she had to speak them. She could not sit idly by and not say anything.

The mare's emerald gaze then swept toward the unicorn and she offered him a kind smile and a nod of her head. "Greetings, I am Evangeline the Pure and the orange dragon is my companion, Tallis." She could not apologize for the words of the WeyrLeader but she refused to treat the unicorn as if he were a plague within the forest, an outcast deserving of nothing but scorn.

"Answering racism with racism and hatred with more hatred will only lead to death." Evangeline murmured as she looked to the dragon who nodded his head once. "We learned the hard way in Isilme." She sighed and shook her head and hoped that they would take her seriously and wondered if Lace would berate her the way he had the pegasus stallion. The orange mare wondered if Lace would remember the constant war that assaulted Isilme and its residents and would realize that she spoke from experience and not just idealistic fantasy.

ooc:// don't mind me. evangeline was only beating me in the head wanting to post here :3

autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower

Nyx Posts: 292
Deceased atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 11 HP: 72 | Buff: SWIFT
Dominus :: White Lion :: None Snow
OOC: I hope it's okay her being here, she just needs a little more drama in her life 8D

She spent the vast majority of her time exploring the herd, discovering every nook of her new home. She found herself awed by the glass wall, and had lost many hours staring up at it, trying to piece together how it worked. The iron lady walked with no purpose as she meandered through the trees, until her attention was grabbed by voices in the distance. Curious, the girl trotted towards the commotion with an idle flick of her tail, and found herself just in time to hear Lace speaking to an unknown bi-horned unicorn stallion.

Nyx was used to racism; she had grown up with it, as Isilme had been a land divided by horns and wings. But to hear Lace - a man she considered a friend - condemning this unicorn simply because of what he was? It hurt her, shocked her to her core, and there was a wounded expression in her gaze as she looked at the silver stallion and his dragon. "I...I didn't realise you objected to unicorns so much," she said, her voice devoid of its usual confidence. He had mentioned in the Threshold that she may not be welcomed by his herdmates, but she had naturally assumed that he would protect her, as he had protected her father before her. Her own horn seemed to burn upon her head, and she wondered if she would ever be truly accepted because of it. The voice of an equine mare caught her attention as the word Isilme was mentioned, and her refined skull turned to gaze at Evangeline and her bonded orange - warily, of course, as Nyx did not trust dragons as far as she could throw them. "You are of Isilme too?" she asked, curiosity in her tone.

She felt like she was intruding, like she shouldn't be here interfering in herd matters when she had been an Edge member for a mere matter of days, yet hearing Lace condemn her species so had given her cause for concern. Could she and her sire ever fit in in a land where other unicorns had harmed the equines to the point of all the horned now being greeted with outright hostility? She glanced back to the black male and his two horns, saying nothing but watching him with the wide-eyed curiosity of a girl half her age.

Image © Snowwy @ Helovia

K A H L U A
Anger. Hatred. It boiled over, pouring upon all of them, spewing from Torleik's mouth onto her and Lace, onto Evangeline and another unknown, onto Kaj who descended upon them from the heavens. The more he talked, the more the poor girl began to feel small and, to be honest, she pitied herself for the beating she was taking more than she pitied the stallion that was hissing at them so purposefully. But perhaps the biggest dagger to her heart was when he began to mention the wall. He wanted to praise her, to congratulate her on a feat that she had accomplished only with the help and favor of the gods and her herd, and she had come here to shoo him away without a second thought. It stabbed and ripped open her flesh, making her bleed sorrow. And the owl fledgling shook in her nest with a look of fear that the useless overo understood well. Was this partly her fault? What had she done?

And then to accentuate the point came Kaj, her friend. And the girl tried to find a smile for him, but before she could make one nestle upon her face he bellowed, the warrior side that she had yet to know exploding forth from him with a fury that made her shiver and drop her ears to her head. But even as he yelled and caused tears to well up in her eyes, she knew she could not argue with him. What have we become?! And it made it worse that he wouldn't even look at her. And now all she wanted to do was run away, and at the same time run to him. But how could she run away from something she had started? And how could she run to him, blocked as she was by the wall of roots that Lace had erected. And so she stood there, tears still threatening to (but not yet) falling down her cheeks, shaking from head to tail, like the child that she was.

Friend. It was the word she should have spoken. The word that she should have used. And yet, at the same time, Kaj and the others did not know the history between herself and Torleik. But did it really matter? Had he been so bad then? Was he really so bad now? Her brain hurt (it seemed to happen so often now) as she tried to sort out her feelings about the matter. But she could not, because she was still fighting to keep herself from crying. And for a moment, she began to press uselessly against the root wall that blocked the doorway, trying to push through it, trying to reach Kaj, trying to fall down at his hooves and beg his forgiveness for angering him so. Would she lose a friend this day because of her fears? Would she lose a friend because she acted before she thought?

And then her will broke, because Kaj finally caught her eye, you should be proud, and her tears fell. Because he was right. Because she was confused. Because she could not reach him. Your hatred. He was right. That was not her. She did not hate, she did not attack others unprovoked. So why had she now? Had patriotism really brought her this far down a path of destruction? She cried for herself, for what she had caused, for fear that she had lost Kaj forever, for fear that she had worsened the relations between the Basin and Edge when she sought only to better it. She cried because she was lost in her mind and she didn't know who she was in this moment. Somewhere in the mix her ears had moved from laying upon her head to falling out sideways. She was ashamed.

But even as she cried, Lace was speaking. There was still anger, still frustration, in his voice. She wondered how he had not been affected by the WingLeader's words, how he had not fallen to the ground in shame at his actions. But it was clear, even to the girl, that he felt none, and a whisper in her head, just the faintest of tiny inklings, asked her a question. Could she really follow this stallion, the one she had looked up to so long as her Glazier, if this was his heart and soul? And even as she thought such things, a new round of tears fell, in pity for herself that she should have to make such a choice. Did she not love the Edge? Then why was she questioning her leader? It was a question she could not answer.

And if the girl had not suffered enough, for surely she was thinking mostly of herself in this moment, another came- the one she had found being attacked in the Thershold. I know a tone of racism when I hear it. More attacks, more blame. Would they really call her racist? Was she? Sometime around now, her tears dried, her heart and chest hollowed and empty, her mind no longer thinking anything except that she wanted out, her hoof still pawing at the roots that blocked her way, her eyes searching for Lace's, begging him to let her out of what had suddenly become a glass prison. An eye for an eye. She hadn't heard it, but she didn't think upon it. She wanted to hide under the wings of Kaj, to snuggle close to him, to look into his eyes, to know that he was still hers to call friend. Her Kaj.

And the last one came, name and face unknown, but the overo did not pay much attention to her. Kahlua only stared, blue eyes searching for a new face now- Torleik. She shuddered to think what should come of her now. She was not brave, she was not defiant. But her mind begged for a chance to fix what she had done, begged her to speak up and say she was sorry. But she shivered when she thought of what Lace would think of her then. Instead she tried to find Torleik's eyes, to look deeply into them. She was an open book, if he found her gaze he would certainly now her feelings, cheeks still hot and wet with the shame of what she had done. “I'm Kahlua,” she offered, though Kaj had already said it. “I'm glad you like the wall.” Her voice was still choked up, thick from the mucus that clogged her throat, and she took a deep breath before she spoke again. “Your friend is rather cute.”

She could not bear to speak to Kaj, her heart still torn in two for what he had said and scared to death that he would not accept what she would say to him anyways. Instead, she made a silent vow to herself, despite the fact that she did not know his name, to find this Torleik later. To fix what she had broken.

Torleik

How long can he live?

The pegasus that had swooped down incited fear and hatred within the rabicano unicorn out of habit and self-preservation, but the words that burst forth from the winged male erased any such prejudice Torleik was tempted to hold. This flying one was defending him, a unicorn he did not know, for what purpose? To what end? He could not quite comprehend the selflessness of this pegaus, but he was grateful for the aid. “No, my griffin seems fine, thank you,” he murmured, looking over Irelyn once again. Only her pride seemed damaged from what he could glean through their mental link. “Abdicating your title is unnecessary, even if she were; I would not ask that of you, only the aid you offered to heal her,” he added, concerned that this pegasus was too vehement in his defense. Torleik would not want anyone to lose anything simply for the sake of Irelyn’s stupidity and a bad situation.

Offense bloomed through his bond and Torleik tersely reprimanded his companion. She knew it was foolish and she needed to own up to her stupidity. At the moment it did not seem she was willing to do so, the emotional argument something roughly translating to needing to protect him from the flying lizard. ‘I protect you, not the other way around,’ he grunted firmly, silencing the female griffin for the moment. From the winged one he learned of the basis for the web-head’s hatred towards him – and likely the loudmouthed mare’s as well. So the Basin had invaded the Edge. He had been wholly unaware. There was no reason for that subject to be broached between himself and anyone in the Basin, no reason for him to ask about invasions and wars since he was still barely settling in. Inferring that the term the pegasus used meant ‘brother,’ Torleik cocked his head to the side curiously. A winged demon was calling him brother. It felt wholly wrong but…the male meant well, and Torleik did not argue. “I see,” he murmured quietly, thinking on this new development in the history of Helovia for a few moments.

Then the cobweb-skull spoke again. The anger within Torleik burned white-hot as Lace opened his mouth once more, but to his surprise, the dark stallion felt his emotion fizzle and splutter quietly into a deep, abiding pity. This stallion was so self-absorbed, so blinded, so horribly stubborn and prideful that he could not see beyond himself and what he thought. He was incapable of empathy, of stepping into others’ hooves – even of friends, it seemed – and that was…sad, to the dual-horned male. For the many faults he would admit to having (stubbornness and self-absorption chiefly among them), Torleik had been taught early in his childhood the importance of empathy and how it could prevent him from becoming a tyrant or a cruel master. “If you were in my place, if you were ignorant as I, would you not want what I want? Simple answers? Explanations? What reasons would I for discussing past wars with…whom, in the Basin? Leadership has changed, ranks are shifting – where in that turmoil would I have thought to ask, ‘Oh, hey, by the way – would someone mind giving me a list of all the people we’ve previously pissed off before I arrived here’? I have barely found myself in the Basin, let alone figured the places of others, and the history? That is the last on my list, since I bear no one ill will,” he grunted pointedly.

“Suspicion doesn’t warrant vicious hostility and absent manners,” the Viking returned simply, seeing yet another approach. She seemed calm and quiet, though unafraid to voice an opinion. Annoyance and an indignant rage bubbled up when this mare explained that this Qian had originally taken the Edge from the unicorns first – and here this hypocritical bastard was telling him he had no right to be curious and wander on lands that had been taken by bloodshed by the webhead’s very own people. “Seems you do not have such a firm footing on your pedestal, now do you…” he trailed, glacial blue eyes boring into Lace’s stony orbs. Torleik swiveled his ears towards this mare, this Evangeline, and nodded respectfully. “Evangeline, I am Torleik and my companion is Irelyn,” he returned.

A unicorn approached from within the Edge lands and that familiar rage flared for not even a moment before Torleik acknowledged he didn’t have the energy to nurse and stoke such burning hate any longer today. She did not address him and he remained silent while she spoke, thinking it must be hard for a unicorn who’d found a home there to realize how much her leader hated her kind. The dual-horned stallion looked once more at Lace. How long before his hatred of unicorns harmed this one living within his land? How long before he would rationalize and justify banishing her, harming her, killing her? He hoped it would not come to that. Much to his surprise, the loudmouthed bitch whom he was not fond of from a prior instance spoke to him, offering her name. Kahlua. She appeared desperately contrite in body language, though not so much in speech, but Torleik understood words were sometimes hard to force out. He would not shame her further than her friend, the winged one, had. That was not his place and would do him, nor her, any good. He did not feel the need to introduce himself again as he had just spoken his name to the other mare a few moments ago. “The wall is impressive, Kahlua. I do not know how you managed to craft it, but it is a spectacle to be sure,” he replied, glancing at Irelyn when Kahlua said she was cute. This pleased the griffin who fluffed her feathers proudly. “Irelyn is an owl griffin. She is young and foolish, but has a good heart that makes her act braver than she should,” Torleik stated, more for Irelyn than the equine mare.

Looking around at the many faces, the unicorn realized this had become a much larger event than he’d ever planned. “To think that when I set out I merely wanted to go on a walk with my companion and have her learn more of the land,” he sighed.

No man is an island.

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

With the sharp look given, and the dismissal of Kaj's background, the golden brute pinned his ears so viciously towards Lace it could have been taken as a threat where it a more physical action. Heart steeled itself as the arrogant bastard continued on, smarmy voice like needles pricking into his skin. Why should he feel guilty, when this man clearly did not? Emotions were cast aside into a box in his mind and latched firmly, only permitting the anger to permeate through his entire being. Kaj remained, jaw clenched, a barrier between the two, a wall within a wall. Silent. For now. Teeth ground and wings lifted higher in subconscious challenge, but not a single rumble touched his throat for a verbal reply. Kahlua's sobbing and Evangeline's lurking were bypassed as Lace looked at him, and Kaj took a challenging, infuriated step forward towards the cobwebbed cur. Lightning flashed in clear blue eyes. A growl built in his throat, ears missing in his hair against his crown, stance strong and ready for an attack he should not be anticipating, but which instinct and upbringing prepared him for.

"Do not speak to me like I am a dog, traitor. I do not trust this man, you are a fool to think I do. Would I be standing where I am now with my title if I did not fight for the best for the Edge? If I stood in defense of a foal being beaten, one not of the Edge, would you condemn me in the same way, call me too trusting, even if that child was a demon?" The lion is awake, and claws unsheathe, and there is something dangerous and raw in his posture. Inside of him there was a beast, usually slumbering, and rarely ever seen. Kaj feared it would awaken today, feared the repercussions, because if this came to blows Kaj would lose all logic he normally held in spars and tournaments. It would be to the death, or at least to his own, if Lace triumphed. "Do not speak to me of the good of the Edge. I have spoken to Aaron when he was in a fit of arrogance, you really think he is fit to inform me, when he had wanted to run to the Foothills to pettily tell them of their mistakes, merely because they were foalhood friends? Directly after they invaded us? And you speak of our DragonHeart? The one who stands for equality? You spit at her by doing this, you fool." It is spat like poison, disgust in his tone, but he is at least reserved. Controlled. Always. Controlled. Always.

Soldier.

Kaj's eyes went blank. Memories swarmed him. A time when he had been nameless, faceless, merely another vessel to bleed and be slaughtered for the whims of careless mages. Nothing if not replaceable. Soldier.

Kaj slammed his wings up so fast the air shifted harshly around him, and he gave a short lunge away from Lace, because he knew if he didn't get away from him that Lace's blood would soon touch the ground and would start a battle he did not want to see. The beast shifted and growled, wishing to awaken. Like thunder his voice boomed, murder in his eyes. "DO NOT CALL ME SOLDIER YOU UNFIT CUR!" He was so angry he was trembling, and only the presence and words of Evangeline interrupting, of Torleik speaking to him and the group, dwindled it to controllable levels. At least they were a distraction from the inevitable blows he would have initiated had he and Lace been alone, and it frightened him to feel such hatred and disrespect for someone he was supposed to trust with no qualms or fears. He stepped back further, and it might seem he was even retreating, but it was for the benefit of all those around. Kaj had succumbed to the beast inside only twice, and he shuddered to think of it being unleashed where so many could be harmed. He stepped towards Lace again only when his muscles stopped twitching and spasming, desiring an outlet, a target. His hiss was low and cast only for Lace's ears when he spoke, but his emotions would not be dealt with now, despite his sorrow over the fact that he had been driven to such intense, negative emotions towards a herd brother.

"I am not your soldier, I will never kneel for anyone but the black Lady, and I will never be yours to command. Let it be known that I am no mere soldier, I have name and face, I have vengeance and love, I AM NOT A MACHINE AMONG RANKS!" He wished for privacy, so that Torleik would not have to witness this shameful and disgusting interaction, regardless of whether or not he could hear it, but his anger would not be stifled so quickly. He angled his voice, but the rage in the last portion of his rebuttal was strength, not decibel induced, and hopefully would not be heard by the others.

"Let that be a sign that I am by no means gentle, Lace," he hissed, and with a fleeting look towards Kahlua he turned towards Torleik. "I leave you in the capable hands of the ladies of our mists, sir Torleik. May the path guide you to better fields than ours." Cutting his gaze harshly back to Lace and Fajira, he uttered only one other phrase. "I will resume my duties along the borders. I will have no more to do with business that apparently does not suit a soldier, regardless of rank." He spat the words and in a powerful thrust of his wings he rose straight from the ground in an impressive display of power, hooves clattering decisively on the top of the wall and launching into the sky. None of his supposed brethren on the ground could follow him, flightless as they were, and the beast needed to be calmed. He needed a place to explode, a task to do, and he knew it would result in him losing a lot of blood and bruising most of his body to calm the demon inside.

The Edge was in disarray, and their Queen seemed uncaring, too absent to even notice.

KAJ
Everybody with your fists raised high-
Let me hear your battle cry

image credits
table by whit